Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mdx2010temdx2010te Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2010
    More information about my purchase...i live in VA so the tax here is 3%..since you asked for more details here it follows..

My Trade 06 ACURA TL had an issues..its got vandalized and had stoles parts from the car which includes (hood,front bumper whole set,and some other parts) i got it fixed from Acura Dealer but the parts came form other Acura so the Car had two different VINS..hence the car can not be certified..so they had to sell it as is or sell it in Auctions...i checked with other dealers the max i got was 15,500 for it..but i got 17,000/- here..

FYI..Silver Roof Rails are not $1100 they $701 (unless you are including the cross bars as well)..go check Acura.com.

On a side note i got this offer for 2010 MDX for 46,000/- (including the Accessories which i mentioned in my previous post) before the Trade-off was discussed ..so i would have got this offer even if i am not willing to do my 06 TL Trade off..

Regarding Taxes, Yes NY taxes are more when compare to VA (3%) but look at the base prise of my deal way under invoice.. believe it or not Guys..here in VA and MD area dealers are so competitive..if you negotiate you will get the best deal..hope this helps...
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    Congrats!!!!!..I am in NJ..and I am seriouly thinking about buying in VA or MD...I have noticed better deals than in NJ...so I have to travel 5 hours well no one gets something for nothing....I will not have it shipped since I don't trust the carriers unless you spend a lot of money on a closed one....thanks for the info and enjoy the ride..
  • dagmdxdagmdx Member Posts: 9
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I know you got a good deal. However, the more you post, there more your deal makes sense. The rails installed are $1200 and the boards are $1020 in NY/NJ dealerships. Yes, taxes make a huge difference and have the potential of changing a vehicle's price. for example my deal as is stand right now is as follow:

2010 MDX TECH/ENT - Silver/Ebony
    Adv Running boards
    Silver roof rails
    Cross bars
    All weather mats

total price $45,400 + NY taxes 8.75%
  • 135i135i Member Posts: 25
    advanced boards are $777 installed in NJ.
    $400's before s&h online from bernardi
  • fitzramfitzram Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the detailed info, saaber1. It helps in figuring out what kind of deal you got so I can try and use that as a benchmark for my deal.

You originally mentioned a payment of $640/month, but in this last note you said it was $651. Did they surprise you when you can in to sign?

Also, when I run your numbers I come up a little short on the monthly payment. Using an MSRP of 46,765, a sale price of 42,500, residual of 55% and MF of .00131, I've added to your capitalized cost a bank fee of 595 (I'm assuming that number...it seems to be universal, the tire insurance you purchased 495, there's another 300 in your cap cost to get a pymt of 640, or another 675 in the cap cost to get a pymt of 651. (I've calculated tax of 1,502 and 1,529 respectively).

Can you check your contract and see if they identified the additional costs? Maybe DMV fees?

Thanks again.
  • nemo10nemo10 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, all,

I just bought a 2010 RDX SH-AWD+tech.

I also bought 7yr/100,000 miles with no deductable for $2395. Is this a reasonable price?

Thanks.
  • saaber1saaber1 Member Posts: 31
    edited July 2010
    fitzram,

my monthly payment of $651 includes tire insurance which was added on at the last minute since i decided to add it on. also, i had put down the wrong figure of $640 initially. i calculated all the numbers and my calculations turned up approx $4 less than theirs. this is due to the structuring of the payment (nothing that surprised me at all and acceptable). i requested a worksheet prior to going to the dealer and when i agreed with their numbers, it did not change when i arrived to sign all the papers with the finance person. also DMV fees were $495 which includes title, reg, tire tax, and nj supplemental tax). the numbers given to me were the most aggressive of any dealer within a 75 mile radius and they were not pushy at all. only denville had a sale price offer of $75 more but they were high on some of their other fees and i didn't like how they were trying to be evasive when i asked some questions regarding the numbers.

the key to negotiating is to agree on the sale price and from there, you can come up with the monthly figure. this would be a good week to negotiate as the dealers are approaching end of month quotas.

let me know how it goes.
  • 135i135i Member Posts: 25
    fyi - in NJ i got the tire&rim insurance for $10/month = $360 for my 36 month lease. '10 MDX Base
  • hellousahellousa Member Posts: 6
    Brian,
    Congratulation on your new MDX ADV. Looks like you got the deal under invoice price.
    I'm also looking for ADV/ENT. What was the price and what basis did you started your negotiations with?
    I don’t have any rush to buy a new car, do you suggest waiting for the Rebates & incentives for customer when they give when new model arrives?

I'm in oregon and the only deal that i saw from here for ADV/ENT was around 52,565

Appreciate your response.
  • twinmdxtwinmdx Member Posts: 6
    I have been in the market to get an MDX for the last month or so. After talking to all dealers possible, I decided to settle for a dealer in my city. He was charging me 45000 for the car with the specs I wanted (about 1500 more than a Chicago dealer). To avoid having to drive 300 miles to buy a car, I decided to go with him.

He ran my credit, approved it, shook hands and came out with a bunch of papers. The first thing he says is "I am sorry, I probably had a dyslexic fit when I quoted the price I gave you earlier. I meant to say 46000, when I said 45000".

I was so disgusted that I had to leave to prevent a heart attack.

My question now is- should I still get an Acura, or go for a BMW X5- which I like equally. The point is that regardless of where I get the car, I will still have to go to the dealership for service. or Can I get the car serviced at a different establishment, like a NAPA authorized service station? Does that affect my warranty> What does everyone suggest?
    :mad:
  • mnmdxmnmdx Member Posts: 4
    Hey Twinmdx.. I am in a simaler position as you I think.. Need to do something at the end of this month and also explored Chicago options vs Minnesota. Only three Acura dealers in MN? Would love to know where you were shopping and what were your specs on the MDX? I was quoted $4000 down - 36month lease - 12kmiles - $535/month. MDX tech.
    Hi mnmdx.

I'm in the process of leasing and wrote a spreadsheet to automate the calculation. If you're leasing an MDX w/tech for 36 mo w/12k per year, a monthly payment of $535 equates to a sale price on the vehicle of $45,150. This assumes that you're paying sales tax and DMV fees out of pocket in addition to the $4,000. The only fee I've assumed included in the cap cost is a $595 acq fee.

If fees and or sales taxes are included in the monthly pymt and you have specific info on fees and tax rate I'd be happy to re-calc the sale price for you.
  • mnmdxmnmdx Member Posts: 4
    Twinmdx, Thanks for the help.. I am turning in my 2006 MDX - dealer is giving me 2k equity. Let m eknow what you think.
    MSRP - 46,765.00 / Money Facor .00133 / $25,720 Residual
    payment - $535
    Acc fee - $595
    Fees and Ins - $749
    Upfront taxes - $1638.00
    Cap Reduction (cash) - $3244.76
    Total cash required - $6762.73
    2006 MDX Equity ($2000)
    Total Cash required - $4762.73
    First months payment ($535.00)
    TOTAL DUE AT DELIVERY - $4227.73
    This is fitzram...I think you were replying to my post and offer to calculate your sales price on the MDX in your deal.

I don't know why some salepeople / dealerships don't like to disclose all the information, but we really need to know all the relevant info to be able to determine whether or not we're getting a geed deal.

I see there's a lot of fees included in that $4k due on signing so that will change the numbers on the MDX sale price.

First a note about 'equity' on a lease return. I've seen it before but don't quite understand the notion of equity in a lease return. I understand that the stated residual value in the original lease contract may be different than the actual FMV at the end of the lease term, but I don't know that they're ever off by as much as $2k in current times. I suppose one could look up the wholesale value in NADA or KBB and compare it to the payoff number, and the difference would be 'equity.' My '07 MDX is coming off lease, has been inspected and came back with -0- needed in repairs, has 8k miles LESS than the lease contract allowance, and no dealers have offered any 'equity' credit towards a new lease. All I got was an offer from a Honda dealer (if I leased a Pilot) for a credit of 'about $400.'
    I suspect that the 'equity' number of $2k is more of a marketing tool used by the dealer trying to attract you to lease your new vehicle with him. If anyone has thoughts on this I'd welcome them.

But I'll assume the $2k 'equity' in your specific deal really goes towards cap cost reduction. You're coming into the dealership with $4,227.73. If that includes your 1st mo pymt of $535, sales tax of $1,638, Acq fee of $595 and 'fees and ins' of $749, then you're really paying $710.73 towards cap cost reduction. Add the $2k 'equity' credit and your cap cost reduction is $2,710.73.

Dropping these numbers into my spreadsheet I calculate a cost of $44,450. That's $1,481 over dealer invoice. I'm not sure about your area, but here in NY that's not a good deal at all. Keep in mind this assumes you really have $2k 'equity' in your '06 MDX.

I also noted that you're paying $749 in 'fees and ins.' I assume we're not talking about any auto insurance that you would pay directly to your insurance carrier (comprehensive, collision, etc.). If it includes GAP insurance, Acura includes that at no additional cost. So I'd ask what 'fees' are included in that total. Here DMV fees are in the $100 range.

Personally I'd keep shopping. Get some other numbers from competing dealerships. At least you'll have a better idea about your local market and what fees are charged.
    fitzram,

openroad acura of east brunswick sent me an email that if you lease or purchase an MDX anytime from today to aug 2, they will give you a $500 Amex gift card.

wished i had known about this.
    Don't lose any sleep over it, saaber1. For all we know they are charging full MSRP!
    I think you got a good deal at Ramsey, so don't look in the rear view mirror. :)
    Saaber1:

I just reached agreement on my lease transaction and wanted to follow-up with a note about the deal. I wound up doing the lease at another dealership that's a bit closer to me, but they also beat the deal offered by Ramsey Acura. No complaints about Ramsey...they were professional and courteous.
    I'll be picking up my new MDX on Friday or Saturday. Can't wait! :)
  • gagaliyagagaliya Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for all the info guys this site is great. Just got the new mdx for my parents because of the vehicle's good safety ratings, here's what i paid from a dealer in PA after some back and forth.

white mdx with teck pkg + floor mats

1) final price: $43000, pa tax: $2200, total out the door(including all other fees/title/registration etc..): ~$45500

2) trade in : 2002 toyota camry xle (61k miles): $6500

3) downpayment: $9000

4) total loan: 45500 - 15500 = $30000, with 60 months 1.9% rate, monthly payment: ~$520

can someone let me know if i got an ok deal? i think the vehicle price is average but probably got ripped off a bit on the tradein. Overall pretty happy with the #s i got.
  • gagaliyagagaliya Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2010
    1) With the prices paid info here, you should goto dealerrater to find a few decent dealers around you, then email/call them to agree on the final prices before setting foot in the sales room. It went well for me, the only variable was my trade in since you cant really value it over the phone...

2) If you want a 7 seater midsize suv i really dont think you have a choice, acura mdx is by far the best.

bmw x5: i looked at this car extensively, the 3rd row seat is much smaller than mdx, it cost close to $17000 more to get a comparable mdx tech pkg, and it's not as safe (4 stars in passenger frontal crash), on top of that you have to roll the dice on bmw reliability down the road...

I also looked at the new lincoln mkt, mercedes r350, volvo xc90 and buick enclave. The only one that came close was the buick enclave, but it's a buick...i didnt bother to testdrive but pretty sure it doesnt handle close to as well as the mdx.

I think that's it for 7 seater luxury midsize suv, only other choice is audi q7, i didnt bother to even look at it given the horror stories about reliability.

For non luxury, mazda cx9 is definitely the top pick.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I was so disgusted that I had to leave to prevent a heart attack.

My question now is- should I still get an Acura, or go for a BMW X5- which I like equally. The point is that regardless of where I get the car, I will still have to go to the dealership for service. or Can I get the car serviced at a different establishment, like a NAPA authorized service station? Does that affect my warranty> What does everyone suggest?
    "
  • pfs95pfs95 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any incentives Acura will be offering in the future? Not sure whether to purchase an MDX in July or wait until August.
  • mistertoomistertoo Member Posts: 8
    Hi saaber1,
    I just leased from Tommy T also. Leased based on the same 42.5k as you. I had previously bought/leased my 2002 and 2007 MDX's from Park Ave, but they would not budge from 43.3k. Tommy did not negotiate either, but his number was the best in the area (did not try Denville) and he was very easy to deal with. Good luck with your new X and maybe we will run into each other some time.
  • mdx13mdx13 Member Posts: 2
    Hello.

I'm in NY.

I've received a quote for 2010 MDX Adv/Ent w/ following accessories:
    Back-up Sensor
    Body Side Molding
    Sports Running Boards
    Door Edge Guards

for $52,900 (incl. Destination charge)

Do you guys think this is a good/fair/bad price?

Please let me know! Thanks in advance!

John
    That is good to hear. I have no problems recommending someone if I find the process easy, honest, and straightforward as it was with him.

Glad I was able to recommend him to you and good luck with the car. I am still learning how to master the multimedia interface but love how it drives.
    That's great news. Not only did u get lower than 42500 but you also found a dealer Closer to u.

Good luck with the car. I love it so far.
  • eqt2010eqt2010 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, mind to share which dealer it is? I'm also looking for 2010 MDX recently and trying to find a good deal.
  • gj1977gj1977 Member Posts: 3
    Just got quotes via e-mail by 2 dealers for 2010 MDX Tech/Ent package:

1) $45,541 (includes the destination charge) + tax and MV
    2) low $45k range (included Dest, but didn't include tax, MV or accessories and was told this price was valid until the end of this month)
  • mdx13mdx13 Member Posts: 2
    I guess most of you guys are looking at TECH, rather than ADV version...

I am actually selling my Bimmer 7 series (2003)--almost at a point where the car is becoming unreliable, getting rid of it before a bigger prob arises--and I wanted a RELIABLE and reputable SUV (especially with my third baby on the way). I love German cars, but reliability has become an issue now-a-days (my wife drives an E-class, and air suspensions failed twice in 2 years). Looked at Q7, but my neighbor who drives Q5 and his wife who has 2008 MDX, highly, highly recommended the MDX over the Audi, especially since I wanted to BUY the car and keep it for long term. Came down to Lexus or MDX; and my wife liked the MDX better. Also I wanted an SUV I could really drive--hence, the reason why I only looked at the ADV version.

Long story short, I set my mind on the dealership which offered me the $52,900 for ADV/Ent with all the options I wanted; but as a last minute thing, I sent emails out to all the Acura dealerships within 20 mile radius of NYC (which is about 10 dealerships or so), and I got an offer I just couldn't refuse.

The dealership (different from the original quote) offered me $51,700 for MDX Adv/Ent with Backup Sensors, Body Side Molding, Advance Running Boards, Door Edge Guards, Cargo Cover, and Wheel Locks. All this was negotiated via email and after the price was set, I walked into the dealership to finalize the deal. The base price of the car (before destination charge) came out to be $48,522.

The extended warranty (8yrs/120,000/no deductible) they offered me was around $2500, so I declined and will go with Bernardi (who offered right below $2000 range), most likely.

Picking up the car this afternoon!

Thanks for all the info here--very informative--and good luck to you all in finding the best deal on your new MDX!

John
  • koolkillerkoolkiller Member Posts: 12
    2010 MDX w/Tech
    sell price: $41853
    dest. charge: $810
    doc fee: $154.38

Is this a good deal? Any comments would be appreciated.

Jeff
  • micusmicus Member Posts: 2
    Poked a bunch of dealers via emails and phone, got offers from $40K to $40.5K. After a bit of conversation a place in NH (Sunnyside Acura) proposed $39,650. That's within $50 of the invoice, with Edmunds claiming True Market Value of $40,140. Then visited Boston/Bernardi Acura who matched, but asked $900 for a rack and gave $1000 less on the trade-in. So I requested that they close the $1,200 difference. They went down about $700. Asked for the remaining $500 and was told - no deal. Got up and drove off, then in 2min got a phone call knocking off another $300 (because they have "found" more money from some wholesaler). Sighed, turned around, and bought the car. They also offer some free service and inspection stickers for life, though the place is out of my way. Overall impressions: probably should have gone to NH which seemed more upfront. Probably could have wrung another $300-400 or so, had I really set my mind on playing Peabody, Boston and Nashua against each other. However, life is short. Like the MDX, though the body style change is not to my liking. Got the car. Thanks to all the folks here!
    Micus, congrats on the new MDX. which model did you buy? I got offered at $41,835 with Tech package only. What's your configuration?
    Thanks for sharing.
    42.5K for Tech(including destination fee)...not too bad.
  • hmd2hmd2 Member Posts: 6
    I bought a MDX Tech 41,668 + tax, tag, title, and dealer fee(around 500). This included all weather mats and wheel locks.
    I think I got a great deal!!
    That's a great offer. I just picked up (last Saturday) an MDX w/tech for invoice ($42,969 including destination). The only additional option included in that price was side rails. In addition I paid a bank fee of $595 and fees totaling $170 (DMV registration, inspection, tire tax & title).
    I thought I got a great deal but you guys are making me jealous! :)
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Nice job negotiating an excellent deal. My wife and I did the same thing with an RL when the dealer would not give us middle blue on our trade in. My wife said, "its time to leave, that offer is unacceptable."

I got up and we would have left, however, they "suddenly" changed their tune and we got what we said we wanted. Its nice to see others bargain and not get cheated, i.e. give the dealer more than they should.

I had a very good friend who was manager of a European car dealership who told me that they work with 20 to 220 %. He said the Service Dept paid their bills and the car sales was the frosting. And I cannot verify that but I always take the sticker price, (w/o their add ons) and deduct 18 % and what I offer. The dealer will make a good fee and I get a good deal.

If no deal I leave and last time I left, I send emails to all the dealerships in the SF Bay Area and a few to the central valley. I received back the same day quotes below the offer from the local Acura dealer.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
    By the way, the MDX Tech for 41,668 was in Jacksonville, FL. Deal was done over the phone. No trade-in was involved because my car was totaled. Looks like the best deal out there.
    I would say this is steal price. Nice done!
    one dealer here in Chicago area offered me $41,200 for MDX Tech after I mentioned the $41,668 deal in FL. It's valid for today only since they have to hit some goals. Should I take it?
    Thanks.
    Can anybody comment on this offer? I have to make a decision by today. appreciated...
  • udeman55udeman55 Member Posts: 20
    Can you please provide the dealer?
  • billybladebillyblade Member Posts: 4
    Planning to purchase in the next couple of weeks with a 2002 Corvette trade-in.
    What is a fair price in this area for a MDX Tech and what is a dealer admin fee?
    I understand the freight, tax, title, but I am in the dark about admin fee. Any input
    would be of great help. I really like this car..
  • jskimjskim Member Posts: 8
    KoolKiller .... Nice offer! Looking for a MDX Tech also. Which Chicago dealer gave you the offer? Thanks.

To the forum gurus....I was wondering if there are any differences in buying in August vs. September? I noticed the current financial incentives expire on September 7. Were there better offers last year after the September 7 date? Better deals by dealer or financial incentives by Acura?
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    There definitely was a difference last year waiting until the September/October time frame. Go back and read the threads from last year and there was someting around a $2k dealer incentive. Base models were selling as low as $35k.

I don't think the prices will get quite that low this year. I am ready to purchase now, but I am willing to wait until the end of the year to see if a similar incentive comes out this year.

From the forums, it looks like a very good price on a base model is $39k + TTL. I am ready to pull the trigger if an incentive comes out to take this price down to around $37k + TTL.
  • micusmicus Member Posts: 2
    fitzram,

I got the base model (a.k.a Premium), with rails and load bars. The quoted prices on rails+bars ranged from $675 to $900 at Bernardi. I am against buying a built-in nav, given rapid technological advances and dropping prices. Portables in plain view are an extra risk for theft, though...
    Hi Guys,

Sorry for the late response but I've been making phone calls and was at the dealer's for 5 hours tonight. I signed all the papers and will pick up the car tomorrow.

Here is what happened from Friday to today...

I poked a few local dealers for pricing and received first round pricing back, lowest being $41,835 plus D/H.

After seeing the $41,668 price (D/H included) out of FL, I counter offered at $40,500 plus D/H. All dealer said they couldn't do at this price but one deaer offered $41,200. I thought this is a pretty good price and send it to another dealer which is closer to my house just to try my luck.

At 4:30pm they email back they couldn't do it and wished me good luck. At 5:15pm they emailed again saying they will beat the price by $100 but it has to be tonight.

So I went into Muller's woodfield Acura tonight and they honored what they promised over the phone and no surprises at all. I also added a roof rail for $380. The other dealer that offered 41,200 is Morton Grove Acura. The Sales guy's name is Rick.

So my final numbers are:

MDX w/TECH $41,100
    Destination: $860
    Doc Fee: $154
    Dealer license fee: $219
    Cook County Tax: 8%
    Roof Rail: $380

total: $46,219

I also took the 1.9% 60 month financing they offered. I think this is a pretty good deal to me since I have to buy a car quickly due to old car being in trouble.

Thank all the people who shared info here and good luck to everyone. When I was in Muller's lot, I saw they have plenty MDXs in stock.
    From all the research we did in Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia Florida and lower Tennessee, Duval Acura inJacksonville is the best deal. If you are not wanting to travel far, at least check out Birmingham. If you have USAA insurance, they have a good price point to start with, then negotiate down from there. We did not look at Pensacola.
    Sounds like you got a great deal. The doc fee was low so that made up for the D/H! Looks like we came out close to the same numbers.
  • billybladebillyblade Member Posts: 4
    Thank you so much for your research and this information. This will help
    me alot in buying this car...
  • smitty1krrsmitty1krr Member Posts: 19
    Be careful with the Jacksonville FL dealers. Some of them have a $2200 bump sticker that is undisclosed in the quote, and a $600 dealer fee.
    I did not have a problem with a "bump" fee from Duval in Jacksonville. Now, Orange Park of Jacksonville wanted to raise prices elsewhere...like the dealer fee.
    As long as you ask for bottom line price, with all fees included you will not have a problem.
  • kkaalankkaalan Member Posts: 3
    I got a quote of $42800 for MDX with Tech package. It looks like I can bring it down a bit more, but they were quoting a doc fees of $299/- . It seemed a bit too much to me. Can people who had bought around the Boston area please comment on the doc fees? Thanks.