Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• scottbellscottbell Member Posts: 1
    Sounds like a pretty good deal. I just bought a 2012 MDX Advance in Phoenix, AZ for $47,995 +Tax, Title, Doc Fees. They gave me good KBB for my trade-in and had the ext/int color combo I wanted so I went with it. Advance inventory was pretty slim here so I think it would have been harder to get them down more.

I'm going to stop visiting this forum now so I don't get depressed as the prices drop more ahead of the 2013 model year release ;-)
  • solaris72solaris72 Member Posts: 15
    I'm getting a deal for MDX 2012 TEch+Entertainment for 42500 in VA. Will this be a good deal?
    I'm seeing tech alone for 40k, so im wondering my 42500 for tech+Entertainment is good deal?

I checked on true car, it seems like a good deal..
  • bill9902bill9902 Member Posts: 20
    That sounds like a pretty good deal to me, assuming this is your purchase price including destination (on top of which you will have to add the appropriate sales tax, license fees, etc.)
    edited May 2012
    I would agree with you since you're going to be paying over $3,000 in sales tax on this vehicle alone (in Southern California), plus a few hundred more in registration. I try to never post (or compare) "OTD" prices on this forum because it's a national forum and sales tax rates, license fees, tax calculations for leases, etc. ALL vary based on region.
  • a2014a2014 Member Posts: 1
    Guys,

My wife really wants an MDX with Tech and Ent. We live in NJ.

The list price is 49500. What is my best hope to get after negotiation? I just want to know the car price not the OTD.

Also, what other fees do they usually add besides tax and registration.
  • foodyfoody Member Posts: 11
    Under $40k is doable in SoCal for tech pkg, before TTL. You just have to shop around and be patient. The MDX is losing its appeal since there are other more suitable vehicles with much better tech features. I personally like the MDX but it's a dying breed. Just compare it with the Infiniti JX.... It's superior to the MDX, except for the performance. The MDX is more fun to drive but most moms don't really care for that too much.
  • aqraslraqraslr Member Posts: 3
    You will NOT buy a new 2012 MDX Tech for less than $42,000 plus TTL in California. Look around all you want... It will not happen.
    NO, Truecar is correct. I am an Acura Internet Sales Manager and that is our net cost after hold back and incentives... Your dealer chose to loose $490 to make a car deal. They could have simply been trying to reach a unit bonus, helping a struggling sales person, or if you had a trade in, they calculated the wholesale profit from your trade and turned your $490 looser deal into a profitable one.

Or if they sold you an interest rate higher than what you actually qualified for they could have made $2,000 - $3,000 just for selling the loan to you.

I guarantee the dealer had a way to make a profit for the store or for the sales manager pay plan... but that one dealer's decision does not nullify the accuracy of TRUECar
    RACEM,

I would agree with you... except that I have to talk with people that actually believe these posts are more reliable than TRUECar or any other viable source.
    I got 3 offers from dealers for a '12 MDX w/tech (brand new-no demos):
    $41,200; $41,000; Just under $40,000..... yes UNDER $40,000

Do your homework and be persistent and patient. Do yourself a favor.... study and be prepared. Good things come to those who wait. IF I decide to buy one, I'll post it here. I'm not 100% sure that I want a MDX since it's somewhat behind the times w/technology but I like how it drives. Until then, watch and learn grasshopper!
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Your defense of True Car seems supports my opinion True Car has become close to dealers and no longer for buyers. As you state, you are a dealer. It is quite possible your comments are a bit slanted.

The price I posted was an actual price for Acura's best interest rate. That price was an example. Another, not long ago, I leased a 2012 TL for several thousand dollars less than True Cars' "target" price. I leased the TL at Acura's best money factor. I also got full KBB for my trade.

I have been following True Car for a long time. A couple of years ago, True Car provided the "lowest price." Now True Car provides a "target price". Anyone with knowledge can easily conclude the new "target price" is much, much higher than the old lowest price. People can easily obtain information which will demonstrate this. Just go to Fitzmall.com and price a Nissan Maxima with an MSRP of $33,730. Fitz's no haggle selling price is $27,408. The True Car "target price" for Maxima with an MSRP of $33,200 is $28,575, more for a less costly vehicle. And the so-called "no haggle" shops do not provide the lowest price.

I know sales people often have a low opinion of buyers, assuming they are smarter. Sales people seem to often tell buyers the other dealership, offering a much lower price, is misleading the buyer with deception. This happened to me a couple of years ago. While sitting in the sales office about to sign the deal, I got an email form another dealer. That email assured me the numbers I was about to agree we're"bogus". That salesman kindly invited me back to her dealership where she would sell me the vehicle at the real "lowest" price. Of course her price was hundreds more than the deal I signed.

I have never been in sales but I am a long time financial analyst. I can assure you I am rarely mislead by a salesperson. The numbers I post are factual. I post opinions but the numbers are accurate.
  • sharavatisharavati Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    I live in NJ as well and looking to buy 2012 MDX with tech package. I was wondering where you bought yours for $40,970 and how much can I expect to pay for licensing and title
    Thanks
  • sharavatisharavati Member Posts: 7
    Hi - which NJ dealership did you buy it at ? Thanks
    Amen brotha!
    Don't mean to slam you car sales people too harshly but...... they aren't as sly and smart as they think they are. I was taken for a ride when I was 18 years old but that was my first and my last time. I've purchased over 7 brand new vehicles in the past 3 years and I've ALWAYS gotten them at the price I wanted to pay. Again.... persistence, patience, and a little effort in researching will never fail. Never believe a saleman when they say, "ya know... we are not making any money on this deal". No fool does business at a loss.... no one! He/she is not your friend. No matter how nice they are, they have one goal-to make money. Never let your guard down. And, never let them intimidate you. They have a tendency to try and initimidate you with a friendly gesture. Most importantly, be in control at all times; don't let them rush you into anything. Don't hesistate to walk out if you don't feel good about the deal. It is YOUR $$$!
    On a different note, after some research, I probably won't be buying a MDX due to their extensive transmission problems. Speaking of research, I should have done a better job studying the MDX before shopping for one :-(
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Hello agrasir
    A close friend of mine was a sales manager of the local bmw dealership. He mentioned to me years ago, that they work with 15-22 %. That made sense to me and I have always started with the window sticker price and deduct 20 %.

i have purchased 3 vehciles since then, two have been acuras. I think sales personnel and workers need to make some $$ so I don't scre!! and hagle the price. Granted I may be able to make another 2-3 % but I have purchased over my lifetime over 40 + vehicles and it seems when I enter the showroom, the sales rep and I can make a straight forward deal with out the b.s. and vitrolic "talkmanship".

I wish all well, and I hope all of us make the deal of our lives. My friend died 6 years ago but Bill was one fine soul and I think we all are, at least that is my belief. Good luck to all and I wish all of the readers get good bargaining and drive out contented.

Jensad
    Just received an unsolicited quote for a 2012 MDX with Tech for $39,965 plus freight. That is with the $1,000 conquest amount. Much less than True Car's "target" price. People who trust True Car are, IMHO, among a car salesperson's favorite customers. That makes two dealers in one week who are willing to sell at far below True Car' "target" price.

The prices posted on Edmund's site are a valuable source of information. The fact some obvious salespeople are posting those prices are bogus makes those prices seem more valid. As we all know, a salesperson is not interested in selling at the lowest price!
    Oh, just checked, True Car's price today is $43,896. Still too high.
  • pacerfan_11pacerfan_11 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Foody,

Is it possible for you to post or email me the dealerships that provided you with the three quotes for the '12 MDX w/tech?

Thanks!
  • pacerfan_11pacerfan_11 Member Posts: 10
    Hi billy3554,

Is it possible for you to post or email me the dealership that provided you with the quote for the 2012 MDX with Tech for $39,965?

Thanks!
  • coolcucumbercoolcucumber Member Posts: 4
    Brought in a new Acura MDX base package for 36300 including destination charges +TTL. This is from Radley Acura in Falls Church. Was a pleasant experience over all. Please PM me if you need more details.
  • digital_bdigital_b Member Posts: 129
    your credit score is nothing special. most higher end scores are around 740 and higher to qualify for the advertised rate. even articles in the media about refinancing houses say the minimum score you should have is 720. at any rate your monthly payment is crazy high so why would you even bother with this dealer. you would be getting raped
    The dealership is Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg, Maryland. You might also check Norris Acura (Maryland) and, perhaps, Pohanka Acura (Virginia). I bought a TL recently from Norris and found their pricing quite good, also found their sales practices very open and forthright.

The price from Rosenthal was in an email, which I got as a prior customer, and identified several specific units but also stated "similar pricing available" on other units. The $39,965 price did not include freight or the dreaded "not required by law processing fee" which in Maryland is limited to $200, I believe. The email did say the $39,965 was valid through May 24, for what that is worth.
  • karhill1karhill1 Member Posts: 165
    IMHO, True Car is practicing a bit of deception with car buyers. Ever since True Car was taken on by several Attorneys General and by Honda, True Car has seemingly changed direction. For some reason, the prices True Car now quotes are an average of prices paid, at best.

In years past, True Car provide a history of recent sales by region and nationwide. That was a valuable tool as I would always shoot toward the lower end of what people paid rather than the "average" of what people were paying. Now I don't see that information on True Car's website.

True Car's pricing seems very similar to Edmund's TMV, though Edmunds is very upfront about TMV being an average. As everyone knows, the average means half of the buyers pay more but half of the buyers pay less. When buying a new vehicle, I certainly prefer to be in the half which pays less. I use True Car's average price as an informational starting point, knowing full well I can beat that price significantly with a bit of effort.

Also, True Car receives a payment from each dealer when a sale is made, I believe for a new vehicle that payment is $299. Knowing that, why would I use True Car when I can go directly to a dealer and pocket the $299.

For some folks True Car might provide a service, most likely for folks who are not fond of the negotiating process. However, for those of us who enjoy the car buying game, True Car is not really very useful and certainly will not provide a car to a buyer close to the best price available.
  • caroholiccaroholic Member Posts: 5
    This is the best deal that I have come across. Can you please send me more details before i ping the acura dealership at lalitmr2000 at yahoo dotcom
  • h8radarh8radar Member Posts: 9
    MSRP $47600
    Paid $40500, OTD
    Includes tax, tags, proc fee, roof rails & cargo mats
    All discounts/rebates applied. No trade-in.

Lots of dealers in No VA w/ MDX Tech's on the lot. Hard NOT to get a good deal.
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
    Please post more details (e.g. dealer, pre-tax price, etc.). Thanks!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,768
    Your personal security is important to us, so please do not post your email address in a message.

Those posts are deleted...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• surfer191surfer191 Member Posts: 2
    "Includes tax, tags, proc fee, roof rails & cargo mats "

Did I read that right? Wow!

Could you please provide the dealer name, and price breakdown. Did this include a loyalty discount?
  • rmishrarmishra Member Posts: 5
    Hi,
    I'll appreciate if someone can share their recent purchase experience of Acura MDX with tech package in Atlanta.
    I've got a couple of offers which are around $46k OTD (including everything), MSRP is $47.6k. Saw a couple of posts from people from northern Va, really envy you guys for the price quotes you're getting there..
  • gunner56gunner56 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any reason to think you can get a better deal now rather than later in the summer? Dealer has lots of MDX's on the lot at this time. Also, I'm told that their special 0.9% financing ends this month. Is that a deal too good to pass up?
  • bourigbourig Member Posts: 2
    Hi foody,

Can you please share the dealership information?

Thank you so much.
  • bourigbourig Member Posts: 2
    Hi pacerfan_11,

How is your car shopping goes? I am in the market for an MDX Tech myself. Maybe we can share info or work together to get a good deal?

Thanks.
  • grey_goosegrey_goose Member Posts: 6
    I bought a 2012 MDX, Tech with Wheel Locks, Trifold cargo mat, All season weather mats for 41600 + 600 (Doc Fee/Profit) + TT&T this saturday. No reason why you should not get the same deal.
  • coolcucumbercoolcucumber Member Posts: 4
    Call and straight up ask for this price and say you are willing to buy same day. They will offer it to you.
    Hi,

Can you pl give more details of the car and the deal. was there a lot of back and forth before you got the price.

TIA
    Lalit
  • rmishrarmishra Member Posts: 5
    Can you pls let me know which dealer you've got this from?
  • h8radarh8radar Member Posts: 9
    Pohanka and it included loyalty discount of $1K (although I didn't trade my other Acura in there). Sales Manager said it was a "loosing deal" but I think all dealers say that they're loosing money on the deal.

I've had real good success at Rosenthal Acura/Gaithersburg as well.

Probably helped that Pohanka had a gazillion MDX Tech's in-stock too!
  • grey_goosegrey_goose Member Posts: 6
    Jackson Acura is the dealership. They are in the Alpharetta/Roswell area.
    The sales guy(s) who helped me are:
    Patrick McPherson & the sales manager - Dimitri.

Good Luck!
  • bxscigbxscig Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2012
    Hi,

I was originally looking at the Odyssey but started looking at the MDX Tech and fell in love with it.

I was quoted today $41,200 (incl destination) + TTL. I had to run to pick up my kids so I didn't get a chance to figure out if it was with the $1500 dealer incentive I was reading about.

What do you guys think of this price?
  • surfer191surfer191 Member Posts: 2
    Congratulations!! What was the price before tax?

Was is it registered in VA or MD?

Thanks!
    Thanks Coolcucumber. They were very nice and agreed on the price. Can you please confirm that the 36300 included TTL or was that extra?
    I'm getting emails from lot of Acura dealers having this on the memorial day deals. Is there any catch on this? Some of them giving 0% for 60 months....

Is this a good deal to take?
    This is a financing offer... You should be negotiating the price of the car before you ever get to this point. That said, once you have a good price, 0% or 0.9% is practically free financing, so yes, it's a good deal.
  • bxscigbxscig Member Posts: 2
    Going back to the dealer tomorrow. The price $41,200 includes destination and the $1500 incentive. Going to try to get the car soon for the 0.9% financing for 5yrs. You guys think this is a good deal or I can push him lower towards $40,500 or even lower like some of you other guys?
    edited May 2012
    Im finishing up a sale for 42400 +800 dest +tax and ttl around 47k total for mdx 2012 tech+ent.
    Hope to get a .9 or 0% finance for 60 months. Is this better sale?

Is entertainment is worth adding ?
  • arveearvee Member Posts: 1
    Can I have delaer name
  • kushmdxkushmdx Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    Could you e mail me and let me know who was the sales guy you dealt with.
    Thanks
    kush
  • kushmdxkushmdx Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2012
    Could you e mail me the dealership infor and whom you dealt with and if possible the price quote
    Thanks
    kushmdx
  • kalingkaling Member Posts: 1
    Congrats!

Would you mind sharing the detail specification of the MDX? I live in Maryland and looking for a MDX.
    edited May 2012
    I completed my sale yesterday for mdx 2012 with tech+ent for 42100$ +tax+title+destination. I also added adv. running board (600$)+ 8 year/100k miles extended warranty from the dealer for 1895$. with tax and everything total completed at 47k+ with 0% finance. I'm not sure about extended warranty (costguard) Anyone have experience with that?