Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cmartinocmartino Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    Hello, I just got a quote for a '13 MDX base for $37,987 + TT&L in NJ. Is this a good price, or should I try to get it down some more? Thanks!
  • madayanmadayan Member Posts: 9
    I believe Acura is offering an additional $1000 dealer incentive, which brings it to $3500. This happened last week. I am going to offer $40k + TTL for 2013 tech to my dealer in the Baltimore area. Will post back if the offer is accepted.
  • brooklynaudibrooklynaudi Member Posts: 53
    Where can you find out about the dealer incentives/cash? Edmunds never shows it.
  • shaojiadushaojiadu Member Posts: 13
    If you can not get that price, try VA dealer. Check my post couple days ago.
    Also, one or two VA dealers offer 0% APR as well.
  • madayanmadayan Member Posts: 9
    Shaojiadu,

Do you mind sharing the dealer info in VA? I checked your post but did not find that information.

Thanks!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Incorrect.

2013 MDX incentive is $2500 only, and there is no volume incentive at any current time. Dealer cash and special financing are your choices.
  • sammdxsammdx Member Posts: 1
    Can you please give me details on your VA dealer, I want to get the same deal and I really don't mind going all the way to VA to get it.
    where are you? Not sure if I can really post the sale person's name as my previous post with my email address was deleted. It is Pohanka Acura in VA. Not every sale person will give you the same price. email me at yahoo. same user name here.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Good suggestion - Pohanka is the same dealer that I shopped when we were considering another MDX (went for X5d). Ask for the sales manager or internet sales manager. They were aggressive on pricing. We are in MD, and also went to Rosenthal. Think we could have gotten them to match Pohanka's deal, but they started off a little higher (although processing fees were lower).
    Yes, I believed I saw your post and that's how I know about pohanka. Thanks for the information.
    I dealt with two sale persons. The first one (with internet sale manger title) tried to play game with me and finally I got another sale person's name from my friend and he was able to offer me $1000 lower. My deal ended up with two sale persons on the order. I might be able to get a better price if I dealt with the second person from the beginning? No way to tell now.
    Radley in VA was also good. The internet sale manager at Rosenthal is very nice and gave me a lot of advice, when I go an offer from pohanka on the last 2012 MDX base. Didn't get my car from Rosenthal was because they did not have 0% APR(at least not on their website). For 5 years, the saving is about $5xx.
  • roset1204roset1204 Member Posts: 2
    Ok...so thought I would share my deal so it can help someone else. Not sure this site helps or makes me more anxious!!!

Lease deal on 2012 MDX with tech. Added roof rails and body side molding.

OTD $40,908. 36 month 10k miles pay off is 24k. Payment is $481

So tell me....did I do ok?
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    A $1,200 amount for profit is high, IMHO. Also, advertising is just more profit so the total profit is $1,500. I would offer $41,000 and see how they react. What is there to be lost? There is no reason to let them know you would go as high as $42,412. Give them your base price without profit and let them counter offer. I doubt they need $1,500 in profit, especially at this time of year.
  • billy3554billy3554 Member Posts: 148
    Additional dealer profit, often called a documentation fee to confuse buyers into thinking it is required or is a real cost to the dealer, is capped in Maryland at $199, recently increased from $99. Did not take the dealers long to increase. Not sure why the so called documentation costs doubled overnight, makes no sense if they are (which they are not) really cost? In Virginia the cap is $399, I believe (outrageous). My experience is any Northern Virginia dealer will lower their expectations in this area for Maryland buyers without much urging. Some even advertise this.
  • 15maggie115maggie1 Member Posts: 7
    In the Atlanta area they are charging $599 for doc fee! Is this not a "real" fee?
  • nanbannanban Member Posts: 1
    Hi java5 do you mind sharing the dealer from where you got this price on mdx?
  • prbmaprbma Member Posts: 4
    Purchased an 2013 MDX tech for $40200 + TTL with 0.9 APR in New England Area.

Edmunds listed Invoice Price ($43,455)
    I assume, Dealer Incentive (2500) - 3 % Dealer Hold back from MSRP (1409), which comes to $39546

I was told by the dealers to add these:
    Destination charge + Doc fee + Dealer profit

In my opinion, this is a good deal. I was very happy with the dealership too, will recommend them to anyone interested.

FYI, I don't know if the Dealer Incentive is 3500 as someone had mentioned earlier.
  • pastready2buypastready2buy Member Posts: 35
    Assuming $40,200 (i.e. before TT&L) includes destination, doc fee and additional profit?
    Yes, I paid $40,200 excluding TT&L
    I think you negotiated a fair deal that would be close to my target estimate. I haven't heard of the $3500 incentives on 2013s either. To my knowledge, it was $1500 and then increased by $1000 to $2500. Perhaps someone heard of the extra $1000 and added that to the already increased $2500.

Enjoy the MDX!
    edited December 2012
    Amen. AKA: "Dealer Fee", "Doc Fee", "Processing Fee", etc

To be clear, some state laws ALLOW these fees ("may charge", not "must charge") up to a MAXIMUM amount. In other words if a certain sales person at a certain VA dealer tells you the $395 doc fee is "REQUIRED BY LAW", said person is not being truthful about the fees - let alone probably breaking the law - and probably not being truthful about other things as well...just saying...

From the VA Motor Vehicle Dealer Board Newsletter to Dealers:

Our Consumer Assistance Division has received a number of inquiries concerning dealer processing fees. Specifically, consumers have been questioning whether or not the processing fee is a required fee.

While your dealership may have a policy that requires this fee, you cannot indicate to your customer that Virginia law or regulation requires such a fee. We have received reports from consumers that some dealers are telling customers that the processing fee is required by DMV. Charging a processing fee is a dealer’s choice. Telling customers that it is required by DMV could be viewed as a “deceptive act or practice”. Dealers who are found to have committed a deceptive act or practice are subject to license suspension or revocation.

Also, if you do charge a processing fee, Virginia Law does require that this fact and the amount be disclosed by placing a “clear and conspicuous sign in the public sales area of the dealership.” Moreover, the sign can be no smaller than eight and one-half inches by eleven inches with print no smaller than one-half inch.
  • chavie1chavie1 Member Posts: 1
    It would be great if you could provide details on the location as I am in the New England area and am interested in a 2013 MDX with tech. Thanks!
    Two dealers had the same price: Acura of Boston and Prime Acura(bought here).
  • strayycatsstrayycats Member Posts: 4
    Signed a 36mo, 12k/yr lease tonight for a 2013 MDX tech:

no trade
    0 down
    0 due at signing
    no first month payment
    $559/mo tax included
    Includes chrome sidesteps.

Sounded like they were in hot competition with a dealer down in Houston for the number 2 spot in the country to finish out 2012.
  • prodogsprodogs Member Posts: 28
    first thank you all for sharing your experiences. Trying to negotiate the best deal on an 2013 Acura MDX with Tech Package. Best i seen on this board is 40220 + TTL.

But i'm a little confused, doesn't take much for me , if the 40220 includes destination & dealer profit. Can someone please clarify .

Thanks
    Frank
  • neil5neil5 Member Posts: 118
    Bought 2012 tech w hitch, side guards, rear cargo mat, MDX mats, hub locks white for 39K from aggressive dealer in Jax, fl. They own dealerships in jax and Miami (acura). they gave me 13.5K for toyota avalon limited with 89K miles...I think I did well
    I thought you should know price in Fl. for extended Acura warranty (extended) fixed..but in Ga and other states they can negotiate. The finance man at Orange park Acura (fl) told me this in closing.
  • busunclebusuncle Member Posts: 18
    I negotiated an offer (sale price) of $41,250 for a 2013 Tech.

Southern US.

May or may not take it. I also like the TL Advance SH-AWD.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I also like the TL Advance SH-AWD.

Suggestion: Try the TL SH-AWD Tech 6-speed manual. Acura slushboxes suck, IMO. Seriously, we have an MDX and now that we have a BMW X5d with a good, responsive automatic, I hate driving the MDX. But I remain a fan of Acura's manual transmissions. Have a 2004 TL 6-speed that's still fun to drive and my old S2000 was a great gearbox. I drove the 2012 TL SH-AWD 6-speed manual. It's no 335i, and it's still too nose heavy in spite of AWD, but at least with the 6-speed manual it is the closest thing Acura (or Honda) has to a true sports sedan. The automatic wouldn't make it into my garage at a half price discount, but the 6-speed manual is a decent car.
  • buyingacar2buyingacar2 Member Posts: 13
    We are reconsidering MDX ... is it too late since holidays ended? Anyone has updates how's the price of mdx after the new year? Thanks a lot!!
  • busunclebusuncle Member Posts: 18
    Prices for the MDX remain pretty strong.

I've had several offers for 2013 MDX Techs between $41k and $42k. I live in the Southern US.

(With proper haggling and concise chatter, I'm certain people can get the price into the $40,500 range. Great price for this car IMO.)
    edited January 2013
    I think it's because after the new year 1/2/13, dealer has less incentive money. All the quotes on 2013 model should be up maybe 1.5k more; 2012 model maybe 3k more since that's the incentive offered from Acura ended 1/2/13.

Maybe MLK or President's day has some sale, but may not be as good as Christmas/New Year's. :confuse:
    I'll try to test drive it this weekend and get a quote. There is carsdirect.com offer quote too. If you like the price, can buy it from them, locate a car in local dealer something like that. The price is a good starting point to negotiate. It up 1.5k yesterday compare the day before. :(
    According to Edmunds, Acura extended the rebates for another couple months - $2500 on the '13s and $3000 on the '12s through 3/4/2013 - so prices shouldn't have changed.

Add to that the 2014 model should be unveiled at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit this month, so dealers are about to have an out-of-date model on their hands.

I think the pendulum is swinging in favor of buyers vs. sellers.
  • bingo5976bingo5976 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    I am trying to buy a 2013 Acura MDX with Tech package in Charlotte NC, and the local acura dealer is not budging for the prices mentioned here. Can anyone point me to a dealer in the NC/SC/GA area who can give atournd 41k price. Thanks
  • buyabuya Member Posts: 74
    edited January 2013
    Thanks pastready2buy. I was ready2buy since Spring 2012, but am still looking. Can't please everyone, so I might look at x1 again. But will wait til they have excellent price and stuff. Like MDX but it guzzles gas like a V8. Toyota has a perception of reliability, but that doesn't mean it's better than other cars. I'm still trying to buy a Japanese car and see if it's reliable and fun to drive. So let's see how willing is Acura to deal.

Some salesmen said the invoice price is what they paid the manufacturer and I believe it. As in some industries that's necessary for paperwork, etc. It's disturbing to try and buy a car leaving the dealer with no profits, and it is not right to believe the salesmen's claim that each time I go in their office or test drive a car will lower theirs earnings by the factor of visits. Gone are the theory of work ethics. And the dealers certainly want to condition buyers mind to see invoice price vs MSRP, and wait for manufacturer's rebates and incentives to get 'the best deal'. There's nothing wrong with it, it's marketing.
  • dm55dm55 Member Posts: 10
    Here are the prices that I have gotten from a couple of local Chicago area dealers.

2013 MDX Tech: $40,980*
    2013 MDX Advance: $46,280*
    *Includes destination/handling but does not include sales tax, .doc, ERT, and license plate fees.

Hoping to make a purchase this weekend.
    I got a quote today 2013 base around $37600+ttl ( I can't believe all fees tax total Most $4k!! In nj only 7% tax but seems an extra $155 some nj supplemental tax. Never heard)
    We are trying to get 41k all in for a base 2013. Is it a good price? They have not agree and we are still thinking about it.
    It's a nice car but 3row is small. With 2 car seats, not sure how to go to the 3row. :(
  • prodogsprodogs Member Posts: 28
    Try Raleigh the dealers. Charlotte dealers not moving
  • james786james786 Member Posts: 2
    I have negotiated a deal for $ 41,500 for new 2013 MDX with tech package + TTL. Any better pricing available in Ohio (Cleveland). He claims to have given me all possible Acura incentives, he mentioned to me about an extra $ 1000 incentive that is available only in Michigan. Is that True?

I want recommendation on pricing .I am looking to do this deal on Monday or Tuesday of this week hence any recommendations would be appreciated.
  • james786james786 Member Posts: 2
    I have benn offered $41,500 + TTL. He claims to have added all Acura incentives, an extra $ 1000 incentive is available only for Michigan dealership.

Any recommendations on pricing.
  • bxnguyenbxnguyen Member Posts: 11
    Hi All,

Would like to find out if $34K OTD be a good price for a pre-own 2011 MDX + tech pkg around 35K mileages?

Also, what some of the services/oil changes should be done around 30K so I can ask the dealer if they have it all done prior to the negotiation.

Is OEM tires last 30-40K or do I expect to get new set of tires with the MDX is at 35K mileages?
  • suvguy1suvguy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi dm55, Can you please share the chicago dealer details that you got the quote..I am not able to find a dealer with that quote , Thanks
  • 3rowsuv3rowsuv Member Posts: 12
    edited January 2013
    I think it is a garbage deal. If you talk to dealers with 2012s MDXs in stock you could probably get a brand new Tech with zero miles for $35/36k.
    My friend was able to get $40K OTD with 0 APR on 30K financing before end of 2012 (for NJ tag, tax). Unfortunately, the dealer is not running 0 APR at this time.
  • anthonygenanthonygen Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013
    Hi,

I'm not sure about the $1000 Michigan incentive, but I just bought a 2013 MDX Tech at the end of December from Hidy Acura in Dayton, OH and they sold it to me for $42,000 plus tax and title. This price included a $500 paint and interior protection pkg, sport running boards, all weather mats, tri-fold rear cargo tray, and wood/leather shift knob. All said, if you forget the paint sealant pkg. and deduct $600 for the Sport Running Boards, $161 for the all weather mats, and $141 for the Cargo Tray, $120 for the shift knob, my price ended up being around $40980 plus I get a 5 year interior stain warranty and exterior paint warranty. This was the best deal I could find in Ohio/Kentucky/Indiana. The car had 13 miles on it and the Sport Boards were already installed, but they definitely make the car look more expensive in my opinion. Plus I got 0.9% financing for 60 months through American Honda. Good luck.
    Call Orange park Acura in jax, fl...they own miami Acura as well. They deliver all over the place..Got a great deal on mine 39K n with tech and lots of extras
  • bxnguyenbxnguyen Member Posts: 11
    HI Neil5,

Saw your posting and proceed of calling Orange Park Acura and they are offering 2013 + Tech pkg for 40.5 + TTL.

Can I ask, what other extra are you getting from the dealership so I know when they call back.

Thanks again.
  • oppih34oppih34 Member Posts: 1
    For a mdx base, which deal should I go for? I got two offers now.

1. 2013 mdx base new, $37900+ttl
    2. 2012 mdx base, pre-owned certified, 6500 mile, warranty will be 6 month longer than a new 2013, $36500+ttl

Thanks.
  • buyabuya Member Posts: 74
    Without knowing more about the cars, just base on info given? New.
  • butterfliesbutterflies Member Posts: 15
    My friend just bought it yesterday

2013 Acura MDX with Tech Package + Navigation + premium leather + tinted window + car mat $240 value for OTD $42,800.

Finance 1.64%
    $1295 for 7 years warranty option

I think she did a good job. The dealer is in Houston, TX