Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• mrisaacmrisaac Member Posts: 4
    All,

I am new to this site and most of the posts have been very helpful.

Has anyone made a purchase from dealers in NJ, DE, or PA recently? If so, how was your experience and the price your paid on your MDX?
    Thank you in advance for your inputs!
  • piaa2001piaa2001 Member Posts: 10
    Had another experience today with an Acura dealer here in NY. This one was in Manhattan. Salesrep was very honest but will not budge on MSRP. He said maybe $100 off but that was the best he could do. Are they kidding? I also told him that LeaseCompare.com is offering better lease deals than Acura. Money factor is only 0.00206 with no security deposit required! He said he would talk to his manager to see if they could match it and call me back. Of course, he never did!
    Leasecompare.com rep said they are getting a lot of business on the MDX especially in the Tri-state area. Hope this helps.
  • dma61dma61 Member Posts: 1
    I just negotiated on a 2003 MDX with tour/nav/res... got $1600 off the MSRP of $42500.

Hints... visit lot, test drive then do your negotiating by phone. Once at the dealer, they know they have you. Research an alternative vehicle and use it as leverage. In todays car market, regardless of the popularity, you should NEVER have to pay more than sticker for a vehicle. ALWAYS pay something less! The margin is there to play with. If the dealer doesn't want to play... balk then walk. They hate that. Make sure they have your phone number... they WILL call... and get them on a deadline... "if I don't hear from you by XXX I am making the deal on the other vehicle" Always be ready to walk. It is just a car and they are only one dealer.

Do your homework... there is so much info available online. Do not let the dealer get you into the trap of "this is how much I can afford monthly". They will structure the deal to maximize profit EVERYTIME.

Always negotiate the final price of your car first... do not negotiate the monthly payment and leave the trade-in stuff out. Good luck.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    I think this advice is great. There are MANY dealerships that have sales people that will work to make a "sale".

The problem is that when a dealership has essentially its whole 'allocation' spoken for AT MSRP. In some areas of the country this is still true. The only way to combat this is explore buying OUTSIDE one's local area. Some places this will mean HUNDREDS of miles further. It should be worth it, though, as saving $1600 could fly you to Hawaii!

Where did you finally "come to terms"?
  • mrisaacmrisaac Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for your feedback and advice, dma61!

Would you mind advising us what state and dealership you got your MDX? If the dealership is in my area, I will pay them a visit.

Thanks again!
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    I guy I know called Metro Acura in Philly...MSRP and they delivered it to his house in 3 days. They have 2 options they force you to take, wheel locks and rear mud flaps. He however got those included in the MSRP price.
    The mud flaps are NOW standard on 2003 MDXs.

There is "clearance sale" going on at hondacuraworld.com for the wheel locks -- 10 sets for $100. I bet that is STILL a profit (and the list price is 4x times that...)
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    I am wondering where you live as well. In most of the southern States and areas outside major cities, Some MDX are going for $1000 to $1500 of MSRP. In most major metro areas in the northeast and California, MSRP is still the going price. I think you have some good advice as far as how to negotiate for a lower price. But if all the dealers in your region has pre-sold all their MDX at MSRP for the next three months. I would say that really doesn't leave much room for negotiations.
  • strat4strat4 Member Posts: 1
    shopped around by phone until we found an available silver touring model at a dealer who would not force options on us, which took a couple months. we didnt order one because we didnt think it would take so long to find what we were looking for. granted we still had to wait 10 days for the vehicle to arrive at the dealer. will pick it up in a few days. paid sticker price at east brunswick. the experience was ok overall there. will post any new info if appropriate.
    I took to pricing the MDX outside of the NY area
    and went as far as calling a dealership in Phoenix, AZ. The rep came back and said the MDX price is still MSRP plus $500 for moldings, visor and wheel locks! Are they crazy? I have other price quotes in the works from NY and CT. Let's see what they come up with!!
  • jevangelowjevangelow Member Posts: 1
    I nearly gave up and leased a Lexus GX470. Most the the dealers in the NYC area are looking for "at least" MSRP and try to force dealer options and high finance charges. However, if you have the time to call around, you can get a deal. Try the less populated areas, not Manhattan. I just leased the Touring with Nav and running boards for $580 mo, 48 months with zero down. Taxes and bank fee included and no security deposit. I'll have it next week and the service is wonderful! Don't give up. Get a list of all dealers within a "reasonable" driving distance and call.
    Jevangelow, can you tell me which dealership in NY you went to? I may have to lease a Touring with Nav for 48 months just to obtain the payment I want a month!
  • cmbaetzcmbaetz Member Posts: 1
    Several posts back their was discussion about the MDX being quite a bit cheaper in Canada. I am in metro Detroit. Is buying in Canada an option? What (if any) differences would there be? Has anyone else done this?

On a separate note; what are others finding Detroit Area Acura dealers doing with pricing lately?
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I was offered $35200 + TTL + cargo cover, do you guys think this is a good deal? The vehicle is ready for immediate delivery.
    $35,200 is LIST...

The cargo cover LISTS for $135. You can generally find it online for about 20% less.

I would NOT consider this price "a good deal". Folks have reported getting $1500 off in Georgia, Texas & Florida -- easliy worth the trip!
    $35200 is $1000 off MSRP ($36200). I'm not sure what you meant by LIST. Also, dealer fees have been removed, in this case, $400.

The cargo cover was thrown in as incentive, removing it does not mean the price will go down, in this case.

The $1500 discounts are most likely for optioned-out units, i.e ones that have Touring, DVD, NAV since there is more profit on these units.

And I am in Florida.
    The pricing of the MDX really depend on where you are located. I see a Canadian flag next to your name. If you are from Canada, its not a good deal, you can do alot better than that. If you are in the northeast or west coast of US, then its a good deal, MDX is still going for MSRP in those areas. In the Southern part of US and other parts of the US, buyers have been getting anywhere from $1000 to $2000 off MSRP, if you are in those areas, the price is average.
    I'm a Canuck living in FL now.

I guess the deal is average, then. Most of the deals that I have seen that range above $1500 are for higher optioned vehicles. This offer is for a Premium and I have yet to see a deal on a Premium that was $1500 or better, primarily because not a lot of people order/buy a Premium.
    I just bought a 03 premium MDX, I think its the best buy in my option. All the options that comes with the touring I didnt really care for. Except for the sound system. I just upgraded the speakers on my premium's sound system and it sounds awesome, only cost me a hundred bucks. I bought the roof rack myself and I actually like the rims on the premium better than the touring. One draw back to the premium is that the waiting period is a bit longer, other than that, not much difference between the two.
    I just bought a 03 premium MDX, I think its the best buy in my option. All the options that comes with the touring I didnt really care for.

Feel the same here...

I actually like the rims on the premium better than the touring.

Yup, agree on that.

One draw back to the premium is that the waiting period is a bit longer, other than that, not much difference between the two.

This is why I am interested in the already available MDX Premium, I know it'll be a while before another one comes along. :(
    The power memory seat/mirrors are nice. My wife is smaller than I am, and her seat position is way up. The power seat is slow, so the memory is nice, I just open it up and climb in with mirrors and seat right where I want them. I also think for her it is a safety thing, it is hard to get a good driving position, so once hers is set, she has the same view each time.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    My dealer called it the "its a reach car" to insult me unintentionally. I could get the touring with RES if I wanted it. I rather not spend that much for so little in my opinion. The roof rack was $130 from Tim and no need for mem. seats. The 8 way power seat would be nice on the pass side--but empty 90% of the time.

INKY
    My dealer try endlessly to sell me the touring package. I finally had to put my foot down and threaten to walk out before he would let up. He gave me the usual speech about the Premium, that its a longer wait and might not get my color choice. I basically told him I dont mind waiting longer for the right color. I am with you that I have no need for the touring package options. The memory seats I dont need, because I drive my car 95% of the time and really dont mind taking 30 seconds to adjust it if my wife has move it. As far as the passanger power seat, I am never the passenager in my car, so what do I care? Rain sensing wipers, I can really do without that. Tilt right side mirror, I can park well enough without using that. Roof rack cost me a few hundred bucks. Bose system, I just spend $100 to up grade my speakers and now it sounds better than the Bose system. Six CD changer, dont need it, because I write my own CD on my computer with all my favorite songs. I dont mind having some of the options mentioned above, but not for $2900.
  • ryandarvishryandarvish Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 2003 MDX with touaring and navagation and dvd player plus a few other acesories and i was out the door nearly 47,500 less than when i walked-in. but overall i cant begin to say how great of a car it is so it was worth it
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    I would like opinions on this scenario: Certified Pre-owned 2001 MDX touring with nav, 41,296 miles, for $33,796. Good deal- yes or no? thanks in advance for the replies.
    Kelly's blue book for the MDX you describle is $31310. Thats retail price from the dealer. Your price is a bit higher, but still might be a good deal depending where you are located.
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    Thanks for the info. I went online today and it had been sold.
  • sidwaysidway Member Posts: 6
    My local Dealership ( Acura of Libertyville, IL )just got some extra MDX's in return for building a new facility. When I was there today they had 7 MDX available at sticker, with no mandatory options.

They just got word they won/earned Acura Precision Team from the Factory for the highest customer satisfaction and they were all doing back flips over it (I think it earns them extra cars).

I dealt directly with the Manager on my MDX on the phone. His name is Eric Leys, Acura of Libertyville, IL ...he's a good guy.
  • cutlerctcutlerct Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2003 MDX Silver/Ebony with touring package. After 2 tough hours of negotiations after removing $499 Dealers fee I got it for $300 off the MSRP ($38500) plus a protection package - for free (according to the dealer over $800 value) plus running boards - for free ($invoice $514).
    My opinion is that touring package is great and all added features are awesome. It's a different car with it - it become a really rich, luxury car. The best two features from the touring package are memory seats and upgraded Bose sound system. Do not spend money on DVD upgrade. Buy a portable one for less then $300 at Best Buy and you will have the same feeling. And it is useful out of the car as well.
    Finally a question. What is the best place on the web to buy some additional accessories (like cargo cover and so fourth)for 2003 Acura MDX? In the dealership are extremely expensive. Thanks Miami Boy
    try this site for accessories.
  • m2pcm2pc Member Posts: 2
    I live in the New England area and have visited a few Acura dealerships lately. They are still not budging from MSRP. I like Acuras, and this would be my third, but hate the idea of having to pay MSRP (at least they are not asking for anything over MSRP). So it seems a few folks think that the MDX market is starting to cool off. Can anyone give their recent experiences in the Massachusetts area?

Thanks
  • eharrison2eharrison2 Member Posts: 8
    I went to Holtz Acura in Rochester, New York and they treated me very well. I started looking in Syracuse, but did not get a good feeling. I got a Sage Brush Preiumu MDX and got it for MSRP. They threw in all season mats. The lease on my Jeep is up on March 7, 2003. The MDX is due in in the middle of March. The dealer will provide me with a "loaner car" from March 7, 2003, until the MDX is in.

After reading the boards for months I feel that my experience was excellent. I don't have it yet, so lets see what happens. Good luck to all.
    I too was like you, looking for a MDX in the NE area. I have never pay MSRP for any car I own and hated the idea as well. My search for the MDX started early last year. About 8 months later, 10 or 12 or so test drives, visited 5 to 6 Acura dealers and try to bargain with 4 of them. I finally came to the conclusion that I was not going to get any thing under MSRP. The best deal I got was 10% off accessories. I ended up paying MSRP for the MDX with some free accessories thrown in. That was 2 months ago, I dont believe that the MDX market has change much since then.

Good Luck
  • pac8pac8 Member Posts: 6
    I have been reading this board for about a month. Most of the posts have been very helpful to me in my purchase. I recently placed an order for late Feb delivery. I have talked to lots of dealers in my area(PA)and finally found one that is willing to take $1,000 off MSRP.

m2pc, if you are interested in saving $1,000 and don’t mind driving few hundred miles from MA, I can provide you with the dealer’s information.

Good luck with your purchase!
  • m2pcm2pc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the input, I guess I was more willing to pay for MSRP knowing that that is the going rate in the Northeast. Although I would have liked to save $1000 by driving a few hundred miles, I have had a pretty good relationship with the dealership I finally decided to buy from ( this will be my 3rd Acura that I will be bringing there for service ). I decided on black ext & int, love the black ext and the dark interior will be better with my kids. (I know I know, going to have to do a lot of cleaning and dusting).

Hope to get it by early March,

thanks again!
    I just received a call from my Acura Dealer, John Holtz in Rochester, New York. My Sage Brush MDX was supposed to come in at the end of March and I was informed that they had one ready if I wanted to pick it up. The guy who ordered it wanted to wait another month. I jumped at the chance. I paid MSRP and received a set of snow mats (It's something). They hooked me up with a local bank at we locked into a loan at 4.39%. Its not as good as the 3.49%. I can't wait.
  • ryan222ryan222 Member Posts: 1
    We are planning to get a 2003 MDX in the next month or so. We are willing to explore dealerships in Charlotte, or a reasonable distance away (Greenville/Spartanburg, Columbia, Raleigh, Greensboro, etc.)

What have others paid for a touring version with the navigation system?

We appreciate the assistance.
    Don't expect much besides MSRP. MSRP with any add-ons included is still a good deal from what it seems like. Also, don't get ripped off with accessories, If you are at all mechanically inclined (You can use a ratchet and cresent wrench) you can add side steps/running boards yourself, most dealers want $800+ for these and you can get them for $400 online. Check out hondacuraworld.com.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    could you either post the dealership you bought from for 1000 under msrp in p.a. or email me with the info thanks alot

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• timberltimberl Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody bought MDX touring from any of the dealers in Albany, NY or nearby? Would appreciate much any price tips ... Thanks.
  • onelgsonelgs Member Posts: 38
    Ready to purchase tomorrow and need to make decision if I want to purchase from the one closer or further to me. According to both dealers, MSRP is $42,500 for the 189 (navigation & DVD) model. Their claimed *lowest* price is $40,900 and $41,500.

Are these GOOD prices or should I offer less?

Thanks!
    Just purchased a Premium at John Holtz Acura in Rochester, New York. Good luck with the price, it MSRP or nothing. I got them to throw in a set of snow mats, on the arm ($100) value. After conducting months of research I decided to suck it up and pay MSRP (It wasn't easy). The dealer drove the MDX to my house in Syracuse, New York. (90 miles )I chose the Rochester Dealer over the local Syracuse dealer because they seemed a little more on the ball. I'm so very happy with the MDX and blows my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee out of the water. If you want more info drop me an email at luv2skinow@yahoo.com
    Brian125,

Please check your email. I sent you info on the dealership that offers $1,000 under MSRP.

Good luck!
    Sounds like a good price if you can get it under MSRP. It all depends where you live. In some areas, you have to pay over MSRP. Other areas, you pay MSRP or $500 to $1500 under MSRP.

If you are getting it under MSRP, make sure the dealership is not over charging you on accessories. Good luck!
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• medemamedema Member Posts: 2
    We are moving to PA (Philly suburbs) in a few
    months and would be interested in contacting your dealer that is offering a touring MDX for $1000.00
    under MSRP. Thank you for your assistance
    That have the 1893 (touring & DVD) MDX in Sage Brush Pearl? I live in Columbus, OH and have 2 dealers working hard on tracking down a sage brush one for me. I need it this week or at the latest, early next week. If not possible, I'll take the midnight blue (second choice) the dealer is holding for me.

If you know of any sage brush ones, please email me at L79D@aol.com as soon as possible... THANKS!!!!
    Medema,

Please send me an email and I will provide you with the requested info. Also advise me where in "Philly suburbs" you will be in the email.

qwerty8man@yahoo.com

Best regards,
    I do have to wait 3 weeks because I want the Sage Brush color. But with what I've read on these boards the $1,600 savings will be worth it.

I purchased the 189 model with touring package, navigation and DVD. Looking forward to driving it!
    $1600 under...good job. I think that is one of the best deals to date. What is the total cost going to be (w/o destination and tax).