Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Only you can decide if the improvments in the MDX are worth the extra money after test driving both.

The MDX has a substantially more powerful motor and better suspension than the pilot. It has a larger interior with better interior treatments.

Etc, etc, etc, etc.
  • cal_doodcal_dood Member Posts: 8
    $35K for a 2-3 year old car is definitely a lot. As I said, a dealer quoted $29500 for a 05 Base with just 17K miles - and that was before any negotiation. He had it listed for $32K.

I am looking around - 04 or later with < 30K miles and preferably Touring package for $27-28K. Will let you know if I have some luck.
  • cal_doodcal_dood Member Posts: 8
    A test drive is the best way to decide.

I own a Acura TL and am in the market for a CPO MDX. Once you get used to luxury/near-luxury brands, it's difficult to go to back.

Then again - depends on your usage and budget. Pilot is a very very good vehicle too.
  • pepsipesipepsipesi Member Posts: 5
    Hello Mpj27,
    Have u pull the trigger yet? $40500 is a good price for me. I just wonder where did you get the quote from. Please email me at
    :shades:
    pepsipesi@yahoo.com
  • viocynviocyn Member Posts: 2
    Jim,

Can you send me the name of the salerep and the dealer to my email, cynthia.kim@e-bankcard.com?

I am in fact interested in adding the sports running boards, roof rail, cross bars and the auto day/night mirror to my sport/Ent MDX. The best Price for the vehicle I've got so far is $44,800 and for the accesories are $721, $262.50, $360.40 and $354.60 respectively, including labor and installation. Of course, it'll be factory install. I think I want to contact your Rep!!!

Thanks, Jim.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    My wife had a 2004 Pilot, which she traded in for a 2005 Oddesey 18 months later, not because she didn't like the Pilot, but because the reason she got the Pilot just didn't work, the third row. Although the third row is very good, we have younger kids and the minivan just works better. Having said that, the Pilot was "fine", I couldn't really complain about it. Safe, reasonably peppy, etc etc. I just really couldn't find anything I liked about it either. Very vanilla. I didn't really like it very much, especially loaded down on the family trip.I thought it just didn't handle very well. I understand they put more horses in it since 2004. I just bought a 2007 MDX Sport. WOW! I drove it expecting it to drive like the Pilot, not a chance despite the shared components. Buy the Sport. The suspension is fantastic. It drives so well, it truly drives like a large sports car. The suspension just sticks to the road. So, to answer your question. Yes, it's worth the money. And, if you load out a Pilot you will spend quite a bit of money. I bet the difference comparably equiped is more like 5K, if that. If you are looking at a moderately equiped Pilot, then the MDX will be much more $$. Good luck. Drive them and decide for yourself. You really can't go wrong with either one.
  • kmallkmall Member Posts: 6
    For anyone who is curious in the Maryland area - I paid 39,500 + destination for an MDX with the tech package. This was through an internet saleswoman at Rosenthal Acura in Gaithersburg. Hope someone can use that to save some money.
  • daveleidavelei Member Posts: 3
    I got the samiliar price. $39,500 + $700 accessory (running board, cargo cover & tray, wheel locks)
  • devilduckdevilduck Member Posts: 2
    Picked up my new 2007 MDX Tech yesterday from Portland (Oregon) Acura. It has the following options, some of which I had installed:

NW Package (Wheel Locks, All Weather Floor Mats, Cargo Mat)
    Roof Rails
    Cross Bars
    Running Boards (not sport)

OTD Price: $42,712

I traded e-mails with the two Portland area dealers as well as the Salem and Eugene stores. All of them told me they were close to the Edmunds.com TMV price for our area. I actually visited Portland Acura and Ron Tonkin Acura in Beaverton, but felt most comfortable with the staff at Portland Acura. At Ron Tonkin, the internet manager seemed irritated when I showed up without an appointment, and when I said that I wanted a price close to invoice, I got a long lecture on how much overhead they have. I finally had to say &#147;I get it&#148; several times before he stopped.

I had a generally good experience with Portland Acura and recommend them, but my one suggestion is to make sure you&#146;re crystal clear in terms of the out-the-door price you plan to pay before you go close the deal. We had slight miscommunication in terms of whether the price quoted over e-mail included the document and title fee ($218).

Happy hunting.
  • cvistacvista Member Posts: 54
    OTD Price: $42,712 ???
    Does this include taxes ??. Hard to believe.
  • devilduckdevilduck Member Posts: 2
    Correct, OTD $42,712. No sales tax in Oregon. I'm thinking it's a decent deal for the NW -- a lot of other areas of the country seem to get much closer to or below invoice.
  • hypermrhypermr Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for 2007 MDX Tech/Ent package w/ Nimbus Gray/Ebony color. A dealer from NJ gives the following quote:

MSRP is $46,265

MDX with locate charge
    $42,294
    $2,960.58 TAX
    $189 DOC FEE
    $342 FOUR YRS REG
    $7.50 TIRE TAX

OTD $45,793.08

Is this a good buy? Price is $200 over invoice. Any room to bring it down further, say $500 - $1000 down?

Any suggestion on how to negotiate some freebies, e.g. cargo net, wheel cover, free oil change? Do you ask upfront now, or wait till you pick up after finalizing the price?

Thanks in advance for your help. This is a great forum.
  • cvistacvista Member Posts: 54
    In NJ Don't pay above invoice.
  • stetsonbustetsonbu Member Posts: 14
    Hi kmall,

Is that around invoice (how much above or below)? I also live in Maryland (Baltimore) and do NOT want to pay over invoice. If you don't mind, what is the name of the Internet Sales Lady you worked with?

Thanks!
  • mdxtechmdxtech Member Posts: 3
    Great forum....I've learned a lot from everyone on the forum and I thank you for that. I thought that I would share my purchase information with folks.

I closed the deal on June 31st but took delivery this week. In the time between putting money down on the car and its delivery Acura started an incentive program of 2.9% financing so I was able to get that as well. I thought this was a pretty good price for washington state. What do folks think?

$40,850 including wheel locks, all season mats, door guards and cargo tray. This is before tax and licensing.
  • andy300mandy300m Member Posts: 95
    mdxtech, is that for a tech package? If so, thats pretty good. The extras that you are describing sounds like the NW protection package.
    I just leased a 2007 mdx with tech package, wheel locks and all season mats also here in Seattle. The agreed upon value of vehicle - 41053. That's 800 over invoice. I know that people can get these at or even below invoice, especially on the east coast, but this was the best I could find around here. Did I get an ok deal for our market?
    andy300m - my deal is for a tech.

I can't really comment on your lease deal because its not directly comparable to a straight purchase and I never really researched leasing.

The deal I got did include the NW protection package but it also included the door guards.
  • andy300mandy300m Member Posts: 95
    mdxtech, I think you got a great deal. Leasing is comparable to purchase in a way that you also negotiate the price of the vehicle, but other variables (like money factors and residuals) matter also.
    Which dealership was this at?
  • yeetnduneryeetnduner Member Posts: 3
    sorry guys i haven't had any time to update.

we had a deal at ramsey, nj for black / black sport/enter.
    but they were having trouble looking for one

the next day, open road of wayne,nj called my fiancee
    and matched the price ramsey, nj gave us. So we decided to go with wayne, nj instead since it was closer for the drive.

we got the black / taupe (sport / enter.) instead

remote start
    body side molding
    side step

since we didn't have time for anything,
    they sent a guy to drop us the mdx to my fiancee. ^_^
    (by the way, we had a trade-in car, so the guy took the trade-in car back to the dealership!)

my advice in nj area.... if you guys are near wayne / ramsey nj... go bargain between the two dealership and let them fight to drop the price (but make sure you have all the price / accessories / numbers on writing!) (hehehe)

drive out $48,997 (tax title, everything included)
    What do you think of this price?
    andy300m - Please send me a private email and I'll give you the details.
  • newmdx1newmdx1 Member Posts: 10
    I am in North Carolina and going to buy a new 2007 base model MDX (w/o nav or dvd or anything).

Can anyone tell me if this is a good price or not?

Any help is much appreciated.

I received the following quote:

Msrp $ 40,665.00
    Pro pack + 399.00 includes Trunk Tray/ all Weather Mats/ Wheel locks.
    Discount - 2,166.00
    Total $ 38,998.00
    Tax + 1,169.94
    Doc fee + 399.00
    Tag 69.00
    TOTAL =$ 40,635.94
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    You can't know if it's a good deal if you don't know what invoice and hold back are on the MDX. You can find this information if you look back through this thread.

In a nutshell the dealer cost on a base level MDX is around $36K without delivery and does not include their hold back (extra profit).

Basically the deal you are being offered is for around 5% over dealer invoice when at a minimum you should be offering 2%, maybe less (some here have gotten their vehicles at invoice although this might not be possible in all markets).
    so i should be offering no more than $37,300?

should the pro pack for $399 usually included with the car or is this a valid price for what you get with it (Trunk Tray/ all Weather Mats/ Wheel locks)

dealers in my area don't want to deal very much (i live in a more affluent area) for some reason.

does everyone do their dealing over email with the internet sales people or is it better to do it in person with a normal sales person and not deal with the internet sales person?

anyone ever bought from a non local (out of state even) dealer and had the car shipped?

this is a big purchase so i want to get the best deal possible.

thanks in advance for all the help!
    i am not dealing with either of them- have you had a good experience with either of them?
  • newsedan2005newsedan2005 Member Posts: 5
    I got the following quote for MDX 2007 with Tech and Ent pkg in John eagle acura
    MSRP is 46,315.00

quote::
    43,000.00 +tax
    + 217 for nitrogen thy put this in tyres..
    +315 for tint

Is this a good deal. its almost 1000.00 over invoice

also roof rail will not come with tech package. thay are saying its aroung $550.In acura website i see the msrp for roof rail accessory is only $219.00, Are they trying yo rip me on accessories?

any experiences in houston..
  • ux149ux149 Member Posts: 18
    I also live in NC and have been looking at the MDX. They have a lot of them on the lots in Greensboro and Winston Salem. The dealer in Cary, NC called me today saying that they have clearance priced all of their 2007 MDX's and are offering 2.9% financing. Good Luck!
  • pmd1117pmd1117 Member Posts: 8
    I'm also curious as to which dealership in NJ you used. I checked your profile and you don't have an email address listed (it's private)
    How do you find the dealer's invoice? Are you asking them (I assume they wouldn't tell you) or going to some special website or using edmunds.com and just use what they give you after you put in the zip code.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    What's wrong with using Edmunds? They aren't making up those numbers.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mintoobmintoob Member Posts: 13
    I wish I had know about this site before but I wanted to get you guys opinions on my recent purchase.

I got new 2007 MDX with tech package for 41,000 even (includes destination charge). I am in Ithaca, NY 14850 and the closest dealer is 50 miles for my place (Crest Acura)

What do you think about the deal? Could I have saved more?

What other things can I ask for when taking pickup/signing papers etc?

Thanks for all the posts. Its a great help.

-M
    This is a more general question than pertaining to 2007 MDX acura (though I just signed up for the same)

How can one save taxes on new cars? I have a brother who lives in Oregon (tax free). How can I use this? Has anyone done something like this before?

Can I buy the car in his name and his address, get Oregon plates and register the car their and later transfer the ownership/title and the plates to NY?

thanks in advance
    -M
    have you actually went out and priced them? did you get a better price than i was quoted?

This is for the base model (no nav or dvd or anything)

Msrp $ 40,665.00
    Pro pack + 399.00 includes Trunk Tray/ all Weather Mats/ Wheel locks.
    Discount - 2,166.00
    Total $ 38,998.00
    Tax + 1,169.94
    Doc fee + 399.00
    Tag 69.00
    TOTAL =$ 40,635.94
    How much are taxes in NC on cars?
    3%; you can see that from my price quote above- it includes taxes
  • gubfgubf Member Posts: 2
    i think you need to change your license to an Oregon license first, then buy the car with your new license, register the car in Oregon, after three months (or even longer, call NY DMV first), change your license back to NY, then transfer the car to NY.

buying the car in your brother's name won't work because when he transfers (sells) the car to you, you still have to pay tax unless you can make NY DMV believe that your brother is so rich and so generous that he would give you a $40K car for free.

I did this and saved $3000 on two cars this year :)
    Thanks gubf for you reply.

I have a NC license since I was in NC before I moved to NY. I still own a house in NC so I plan to register car there. The taxes are 3% there. At least I save 5% thats 2050$ right there. This way I need not change plates at all. I will keep NC registration for 2 years (I plan to stay here for 2 years more). I will take car insurance which is NC based and hopefully it will be cheaper there.

Any comments?

-M
  • aboujeyababoujeyab Member Posts: 1
    Hi...

I live in the bay area (San Jose), and I got a deal today from one of the dealers for 2007 MDX sports/entertainment + cargo cover + cargo liner + cargo organizer + running boards for $48,400 out-the-door. My target price was $48,000 and I'm wondering if I should stick to that or if it's a good enough deal to take. Th initial price I got for the car without the accessories was about $300 below invoice. Not sure if that price changed, when I told them about all the accessories , and they gave me the lump sum of $48,400 out-the-door. Also, I read about the free oil and filter change, that some poeple get for 8 times, or 4 years. Can you do that?

Thanks,
  • gsxr750gsxr750 Member Posts: 5
    I received an email (quote) for a 2007 MDX Tech/Ent for $45,113 including destinantion with the following options installed:
    roof rails; cross bars; sport running boards; tow package; wiring harness; hitch pin; cargo net; side body molding; all season floor mats; moonroof visor; wood grain steering wheel; wood grain shift knob; fender garnish; front lower garnish; cargo cover.
    I think this is a good deal,
    Will they email an "official" quote before I got into the dealership or will I only the email discussion as evidence.

Thanks in advance
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    I would read my message 14394 in the honda accord prices paid section for useful resources on how to buy a car. Email 10-15 dealers in a radius around your home for quotes last week of the month. Work the top 4 bids lower with their prospective dealers. Try to get your vehicle for about 15-20% more than the wholesale price of a 1yr old used one.

Try if you can to get one or two out of the 10-15 to drop his pants for another $1500-3000. Also research the financing options available to you including from the dealer. A .2% difference may make a $700 or more difference over 4 or so years. All this stuff is far more productive than your attention being diverted trying to get $120 dealer cost worth of stuff on a $48000 purchase.

Good Luck
    --jjf

Hi...

I live in the bay area (San Jose), and I got a deal today from one of the dealers for 2007 MDX sports/entertainment + cargo cover + cargo liner + cargo organizer + running boards for $48,400 out-the-door. My target price was $48,000 and I'm wondering if I should stick to that or if it's a good enough deal to take. Th initial price I got for the car without the accessories was about $300 below invoice. Not sure if that price changed, when I told them about all the accessories , and they gave me the lump sum of $48,400 out-the-door. Also, I read about the free oil and filter change, that some poeple get for 8 times, or 4 years. Can you do that?

Thanks,
  • kg32kg32 Member Posts: 8
    I'm considering not getting the Entertainment package option due to the fact that the kids already have personal portable DVD players. My thought is that the power liftgate can always be added aftermarket.

What's your opinion on the impact on future resale?
  • jmar1jmar1 Member Posts: 1
    Quote for MDX Sport/Entertainment with MSRP of $48465 received in writing from Boston area dealership for $44225 including all dealership fees (but excluding tax or state registration). Doesn't include any of the bolt-on accessories. No trade-in or financing part of deal.
  • sneekersneeker Member Posts: 5
    Hi all,

Just checking to see what others are getting for a 2007 MDX Sport w/ Entertainment in New York? One other question, If you purchase from another dealer but would like to have it serviced at another dealer, will they offer you a loaner or give you any issues since you didn't purchase from them? Thanks in advance!
    Should be able to do better then that as I got 41,985 for Tech/Entertainment in NJ.
  • ny_danny_dan Member Posts: 12
    I got a quote Saturday in Brooklyn NY for 45300 for a Sport w/ Entertainment. I think it should be around 44k. or 700-800 over invoice.
  • ny_danny_dan Member Posts: 12
    What was your base price before the "remote start, body side molding, side step"
  • sneekersneeker Member Posts: 5
    The best quote so far that i've gotten is $44,895...Was hoping or aiming for $44,500 at most, but doesn't look like he's budging...And not buying any accessories at the time...But maybe thats it for local NY quotes.
  • pkgaskinpkgaskin Member Posts: 1
    Could you tell me where in NJ. I work in NJ . I am looking for Tech/Entertainment. That sounds like a great price.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Go to our new Dealer Rater to post your sales or service review!
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I have no idea, but I came to the same conclusion. I got a much better deal on one without the DVD because the DVD vehicles move faster, or so I was told. I wouldn't worry about resale unless you are selling soon, then you should lease, not buy. Buy what you want and drive it into the ground. Given Acura reliability, that may take a while. Enjoy.
  • hypermrhypermr Member Posts: 2
    I receive a quote from Ramsey NJ at this price, if that helps.