Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• lausylausy Member Posts: 14
    Pohanka in Chantilly, VA. $44,800 plus tax and tags, no additional fees.
  • ppatppat Member Posts: 4
    Hi wtliao321,

Can you tell me who was your salesperson at Rosenthal? I am also looking to buy 2008 MDX Tech/Ent this week from there, possibly as early as 10/28. Also, did they give you a good deal on any accessories or maint?

Thanks in advance.
  • wtliao321wtliao321 Member Posts: 35
    Arthur Parsons is my Internet sales consultant. I was able to negotiate to $100 below invoice on 08 MDX Tech/Ent, which is $42300 (including destination and wheel lock) + $95 fee + $255 registration and 5% MD Tax. The accessories are about 5-10%discount. You should be able find better deal online.

Overall buying experience at Rosenthal Acura is pleasant. They would offer your the lowest price in Washington DC area, as long as you can find the lower offer from the other dealer and they will beat it. Good luck on your purchase.
  • ppatppat Member Posts: 4
    Thanks wtliao321. Just saw your message after returning from Rosenthal. :-) Made a deal this afternoon for 08 Tech/Ent- 42933 + 95 fee + 255 + tax with all season mats, wheel locks, cargo tray, gold emblem and roof rack with cross bars. Delivery on Wed since our color choice wasn't available today. Can't wait!
  • katherinekkatherinek Member Posts: 1
    Hi there. We were also at Rosenthal yesterday afternoon and got the 2008 Tech/Ent for $42,797 + $95 fee + tags + MD tax. However, we had to pay $479 for the roof rack with cross bars!! After reading your post, I feel really taken. We put $1,000 down and they will be looking for a silver/tan combo which they say they will have ready by this week. I called my salesperson to complain, however, he says without finding out your information, there is little he can do. Is there any way you could email me directly at kmkim1994@yahoo.com to give me your information?(that is if you feel comfortable) I am so angry. I know we are only talking several hundreds of dollars on a really nice vehicle but I am so angry that I might consider walking. Readers, please advise on what I should do. Thanks
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I think you guys in MD are getting very good deals. I paid 43.2 for tech and ent. only 2 or 3 weeks or so ago in NY without any of the goodies you mentioned. Someone is always going to get a better deal. If you didn't have them make a representation to you that no one is getting a better price today, then too bad for you. If you did that, then by all means tell them to change the price as they breached the representation. Don't be mad because someone did better. You still have a very good deal.
  • dannjdannj Member Posts: 7
    just got back from the dealer - here are the numbers - i would greatly appreciate any opinions on how fair a deal this is...

Got the MDX Tech for $400 under invoice - extras included are roof rack with cross bars, cargo cover and running board...

out of pocket = 1st month payment, Doc fees $189, 4 year motor vehicle reg for NJ = $354, bank fee $595 = total out of pocket of $1816

Monthly payment including sales tax = $678 with 22,000 miles/year for 42 month lease ...so if it were a base 15K mile/year lease the monthly would be approximately $602/month....

the killer is always the add'l mileage for me but i was able to get the extra mileage at a rate of 10 cents per mile...

i called 2 other dealers and they could not come close to this deal but who knows ??

any opinions would be greatly appreciated - the truck should be ready for pick up later this week so i can still cancel if this deal is too expensive compared to others on this board...

thanks in advance
    Can't speak to leasing as I paid cash but boy, for $400 under invoice, I would have driven to NJ to Long Island to pick up car. $1,200 for an afternoon would have been worth it.
  • squirtmansquirtman Member Posts: 29
    I agree with bill124 about the MD deals being good, but I am sometimes skeptical about the validity of some of the deals posted here...too much "one upmanship" goes on in these forums for me to trust them all (I'm not saying that's the case here, but still - someone always wants to boost their self-esteem and brag about the awesome deal they got which was better than...) You can't lose sleep over a few hundred dollars here and there - you still got a good deal compared to 95% of the MDX buyers who don't read these boards or walk into a dealership uninformed. The best deal I have been quoted on personally in the NY area (which was matched within $100 by several dealers) is $43,800 for a 2008 MDX Tech/Entertainment with sport running boards, side moldings, all-weather mats, cargo cover, cargo tray, cargo net and wheel locks (price includes the accessories installed). I think that's pretty untouchable for an '08 in the NY area without any incentives or special finance rates currently being offered on this vehicle...
  • bimmerguy288bimmerguy288 Member Posts: 21
    I think you got a decent deal but not the best deal. There is always someone who gets a better deal than you so there isn't really need to be angry at the dealer since the deal was mutually agreed up on. Of course you can always walk away. It's just a car.
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I was going to buy from Rosenthal but just wasn't comfortable with them. We bought a Nissan from them before and were really dissatisfied. I bought mine from Pohanka. I don't know if I got the best deal, but I got such good service it was worth it to me to cross over the bridge into VA. I agree with the other posts, if you thought you had a good deal when you walked out of the showroom, you should be happy. Someone will always do better. It's not like you paid thousands more. You paid a couple bucks more on a very expensive vehicle. The dealer is in business to make money, they deserve a profit. You deserve a good car and good service. If you were happy with the service, buy it from Rosenthal, if not, go somewhere else. You have a written offer, you won't pay more. Good luck.
    Just curious, it's not even 2008 yet, how can some dealers already sell the 08 MDX at or even below invoice just weeks after they came out? Big heldback or incentives from Honda? Not that I am complaining.
  • baseballmom97baseballmom97 Member Posts: 101
    I would also like to know how is everyone buying the 2008 MDX at invoice or below?

We tried to get a dealer to sell at invoice 2 weeks ago -- the best deal we could find was $250 over.

Really curious how the dealers are able to sell the 08 models at invoice?
  • alex45alex45 Member Posts: 4
    Question, are you sure??? I've never seen or heard of a deal like that before on a 2008 MDX Tech lease with 22k miles for 42 months...and I should know, I'm shopping for the same SUV with 25k miles for 36 months. My price is $742 with $3,999 plus destination Down, $4,714 total. I'm also getting the running boards and roof rack/cross bars.

I'm located in New York and shopping in Brooklyn and Jersey, don't know where you are, but even if your in Timbucktoo, I might just have to take the flight and ship my MDX back, LOL. Do you mind revealing where you are and the name of the dealership and salesman?
    Like I said in my last post, I am skeptical of anyone who has posted here on a 2008 MDX that they got below invoice I would have to think it is either A) a demo with mileage on it or B) a fabricated price. What is real, however, is a current month end promotion at Springfield Acura in NJ now until 10/31 - through the internet department you can drive off with any '08 Acura at invoice price - better hurry, though as I understand that they have sold most of their in-stock inventory of MDX's in the past 24 hours as a result. Ask for John and he'll hook you up.
  • philipjose1philipjose1 Member Posts: 5
    dont get me wrong i dont think that is a good deal. the reason y i think like that is
    678 x 42 = 28476.00
    upfront cost+ montly payement = 28476 + 1816 = 30292

say u r buying this vehicle it may cost u 42000 on road.so actualy u r only saving 12000 dollars. i guesss it is better off for u to buy this car right now since i feel after 4 years even if the car has 90k miles u can sell it for more than 12000 dollars. this is just my thought. i bought a delear demo with 4k miles for 37500 that is the price before tax in NY. any way good luck
  • dallasbuyer1dallasbuyer1 Member Posts: 6
    Is $37,000 a good deal for a 2007 demo Tech/Entertainment with 5,000 miles?
    I would treat that as a used car and price it accordingly. If that's what a used 07 MDX goes for, then it's not good. Not bad but not good.
  • sleepysoosleepysoo Member Posts: 54
    hey guys! well, i guess they are doing it in other parts of the country. I am from southern california, and i got my 08 tech at $40,100. i had $1500 out the door which included $480 towards cap cost red (a.k.a. down), and at 36 months, 12k miles, my payments are $600 and some change/month (that's including tax of 7.75%). It is possible to get it under invoice. i do have a couple of friends who tried to get this similar deal, and the dealership now wouldn't do it, but i'm sure that if you haggled the heck out of them, they would get close. I was e-mailing and calling 3 different dealerships for a week before finally settling.

oh yeah..i got mine in the middle of September. also, when i was haggling, i was haggling to get an 07 MDX tech. So, after we finally came down with the numbers i was somewhat happy with, i went to the dealership, and found out that they didn't have the color that i was looking for (gray with ebony). but, i knew that another dealership had it. so, instead of losing my business to another one, they gave me the 08 instead. At first, i was really happy, then i got home and got a little suspicious...i mean, it was just WAYYYY too easy to get the 08...but i kept going over the numbers over and over again, and now i'm super satisfied.
  • oskitzooskitzo Member Posts: 4
    I'm ready to purchase an 08 MDX Tech in Pleasanton, CA. They offered me $41,800 before T/L is this a good price. Should I research in another location nearby. They told me best time to buy is around Thanksgiving/Christmas.
    $600 per month on a lease? Are people really paying this crazy money on a lease? Wow...assuming that's a 36 month lease then you are paying over $21000 to "rent" a vehicle with nothing to show at the end of the term. You could take the same $1500 you used at lease inception and pay only about $180 more per month on a 5% rate 60 month vehicle loan and own the vehicle after 5 years then you would own a vehicle with high residual and have something to trade in or sell when/if you decide to get a new car later...
    hahaha..that's what my dad keeps telling me to do! but, I LOVE (and i admit...a little bit addicted ;) ) to new cars. also, i'm in an industry where (i hate to admit it) "looks" are a factor (not a large one, but it can make a difference!). So, since i'm taking my clients around all the time, it's pretty good to update my car often. I've got to look "successful"...and i feel like i'm still too young to be driving a mercedes or lexus, and i don't like bmw's. Besides, My husband and I are pretty good at making deals...we always return our cars a few months early, and we have yet to be under...we actually have gotten money to get out of a lease early. hahahaha...weird..i still don't know exactly how that works out, but eh...i'm not complaining! ;)

see...i understand that we can buy the car by paying $180/month more, but that would bring us into a price range that we are not comfortable with. this way, i can drive a nice car, impress my clients, and still pay what i feel comfortable paying. :)
  • chaosattractorchaosattractor Member Posts: 16
    Leasing and purchasing each have their advantages and disadvantages.

Leasing comes out much better in financial terms than purchasing if you plan on an intermediate lease and you don't put many miles on your car. It's even a greater advantage if you invest your down payment, which you would have used for a car purchase. Moreover, leases satisfy people who like to drive new cars fairly often, such as yourself.

I prefer purchasing autos myself, but less so for purely financial reasons. Ironically, I am an investment banker and get ribbed by my coworkers all the time for not leasing.

The key in leasing is to treat the leasing process almost exactly the same way you would a purchase (i.e. ignore the monthly payment and focus on the purchase price, and money factor.)
  • fdavis203fdavis203 Member Posts: 1
    I decided to surprise my wife for her birthday with an MDX. I sent out for quotes requesting no calls because it was a surprise. However the site required a phone # so I put in a fake one and explained it in the note. Every dealer responded well and offered to deliver the car, wrap it, balloons, you name it. All but 101, they responded with "no # = not a real buyer." I was so put off by that. I actually live and work 7 miles from them and they cost themselves a deal.
    Eventually I decided to try Keyes. The service was great and they had the car I wanted. The sales guy helped me load it with balloons and we put a bow on top and stuck it in the garage. My wife almost fainted, it was great!
    I read this forum alot to get ideas and price info and the deal Keyes did was fair. I don't think I could have done any better going elsewhere.
    So that's my story - thank you forum for helping me get a great deal and a happy wife! :blush:
  • chaosattractorchaosattractor Member Posts: 16
    sounds like you're going to be pretty happy for next week too. :P
    geez..lucky lady! i asked my husband for flowers, and he gave me fake silk flowers. good move!!! ;)
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    Sounds like your husband is going to be pretty unhappy this coming week. ;)
  • scuba01scuba01 Member Posts: 29
    Can anybody reccomend a good dealership in the Baltimore / Maryland area and received prices on a purchase for a 2008 MDX Tech package.
    Whoever it is, I bet they are more willing to unload now than 2 or 3 weeks ago in light of fall in stock market and run up in price of gas !
    bill124, you obviously haven't lived in the NY area very long...if you did, you would already know that the NY/NJ/CT economy is unlike any other in the world and virtually impervious to stock market fluctuations and gas prices...I'm talking about the Westchester, Fairfield, Nassau and Suffolk county crowds...ask the small business owners and soccer moms in Scarsdale, NY or Greenwich, CT if they give a crap about $4/gallon gas when they are filling up their gas guzzling Land Rovers, Hummers or X5 Bimmers...I think NOT.
    Well, I think 46 years is long enough to know that Acura is not a high end luxury car and that its sales will be affected by the economy. Early seventies, late 80's. The street's bonuses will not be as good as last year, dollar is low, etc. You think this area is invincible? It's not. I can't tell you how many houses are for sale in my area, on North Shore. Realtor friend said half her office has turned to other employment and those still there are looking for part time jobs. So, better prices are on their way (IMHO). Will be away on vacation for a week and won't be able to reply but I will upon return.
  • juli714juli714 Member Posts: 4
    Hello. This person requested a quote from us with a fictitious quote from another dealership that they could not verify when I said that I would match it. They would not provide any of the relevant information for me to confirm the quote. Therefore, I could not match the quote and hence they became angry and thus, blogged this site.
    Our sales staff has an outstanding reputation for customer service.

Thank you for reading this.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Good job, juli714!!

You've just dredged up a post that is over 2 years old. It was gone and forgotten, but no more!! I'm sure you can remember every detail of a deal from 2005!

Google is a wonderful tool, but you have to learn how to use it.. :surprise:

Moral of the story: Let sleeping dogs lie

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• dakineguydakineguy Member Posts: 46
    I'm in the market to get my wife a 2008 MDX Tech/Entertainment. I'm thinking that she probably drives about 12k miles a year, so a lease probably looks like a good idea. We live in Southern Calif and am looking for a dealer who you think would provide the best financial deal. My buying time is in the next 30-60 days. Please provide all details, ie. sales rep name and specifics on the deal. Thanks! :)
  • phillybigeasyphillybigeasy Member Posts: 31
    Looking for anyone who has purchased n '08 MDX Tech in the Memphis/Jackson, MS area. Stopped in to Acura of Memphis in early Sept and they didn't offer invoice or below for an '07 - thought I'd wait for the 08's to come out. Just wondering what kind of deals being offered in the area.
  • mdx08mdx08 Member Posts: 1
    I went to Springfield Acura in NJ with a price quote of $37,299 (including destination) for an 08' MDX base. It was not a good experience. Waited in the reception area for 30 minutes, and the receptionist called for a sales guy to come at least three times, still no one showed up. Finally met some one, but was told that they don't have the color I want in stock. Before going there, I have confirmed with them twice. Each time they said it is available. Then they said they made a mistake on the inventory. I will go to other dealerships and would rather pay a higher price for a better service.
  • flevyflevy Member Posts: 18
    I just purchased a 2008 MDX with tech for $39,800, plus taxes, license and tags (destination was included). I needed the car quickly, having my 2006 MDX Touring was totaled the week before. I called around on October 29th to dealers in Md and Va and received quotes $39,900 (including destination) to $42,000 (without destination), with the understanding that I would buy the car by month's end. Both Radley and Pohanka were eager for the business and were willing to make the deal do so easily and with no add ons. From the other posts, I was expecting to pay around $41K and was surprised by these prices. However, I was given quotes under $40K with no haggling. I just picked up the car from Pohanka and there were no games played. The car was exactly as discussed and I would highly recommend either dealer as a place to shop for the MDX.
    How much shall I offer for a certified pre-owned 2007 MDX sport/Ent with 15,000 miles? The dealer asked for $43,000.
  • mkannaremkannare Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a 2008 MDX with Technology package for $40,000 from First Acura in Seekonk, MA. They were running a very aggresive sales campaign this past weekend. The internet sales manager was very easy to work with.

We were earlier considering to purchase from Herb Connoly Acura in Framingham, MA. However, when it came time to discuss pricing, they quoted the Invoice at $40,900 whereas everyone else was quoting $40,403. They attributed the mark-up to "port charges". Had never heard of such a thing before. Anyway, it supports the comments made in Message 5549.
  • merckymercky Member Posts: 15
    I just bought a mdx tech package brand new for $38500+ttl.
    this is in bay area.
    That's nuts. I was just offered a brand new 2007 with tech & ent. packages for $40699 before tax & title, procesing fee.
  • bashinbashin Member Posts: 27
    Did you really get this deal, flevy? I have gotten no better offer than invoice for an '08 Tech when speaking with DC/MD/VA dealers. I have the invoice deal via email, so yes it is confirmed in writing. Is there a better deal out there around here?

Thanks.
    Invoice on the 2008 MDX Tech package is $40,403 (including destination), so again, I am very surprised that a dealer would offer such a price before we have hit mid-November. I am assuming you took a car they had in stock off the lot and (perhaps) maybe even some mileage (>100 miles?).

Can you please provide contact names for who you dealt with at both dealerships?
    mercky,
    I don't want to burst your bubble or temper your excitement, but personally, I would not have taken that deal...if you consider that the invoice price for a 2007 MDX Tech is $39,433 ($40,103 with destination charge) and you paid $38500, that means only about a $1500 discount under invoice. Considering that the car will effectively have depreciated approximately 20% (roughly $7000+) as soon as the calendar hits 2008, that would mean that you should have paid a comparible price that takes the year of depreciation into account...a price of $33,000 or $34,000 would be a fair price if this is taken into account. Furthermore, the 2007 model was the first of the "new" body style and the 2008 model benefits from a year's worth of "guinea pigs" to tweak and improve the car. Forget what the reviews actually say has changed in 2008...don't for a minute think that there were not other improvements put into this car for the 2008 model year - they just typically go "un-publicized".
    squirtman,
    when you have that option, dont take it.
    mercky, sorry that you didn't like my opinion, it was simply meant as an informational consideration (isn't that what this forum is for?) - I WAS offered a similar deal and no, I didn't take it...was offered an '07 for $1000 under invoice for a tech/entertainment in a color that I was not interested in. I went with an '08 and couldn't be happier...To each his own.
    squirtman, I think we disagree on the depreciation argument. Since this is a purchase for 4+ years, I would always take the money upfront as a finance guy.
    If one buys considering short term depreciation, they better be leasing.
    I would have picked 08 over 07 if I could not find the color I liked. :)
    Anyway, enjoy it is a great car.
    I am sure that the site does not want us to provide actual names at the dealers, but I would be happy to email contacts at both Pohanka and Radley. The car was in stock on the lot (Nymbus/light grey) and had 22 miles. I did sign at the very end of October, but picked the car up on 11/2. If you send me your email, I will give you the contact people
    see my reply at 5603. I would be happy to give contact people at both dealers if you give me your email.
    Are you in DFW area?