Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    $3000 over invoice price? What are you smoking? 2% over invoice would be about $700-$1000 over invoice depending on trim level and is the number that all of the consumer publications tell you to shoot for when purchasing/leasing a new vehicle.
  • juli714juli714 Member Posts: 4
    The poor salespeople have to make a living, don't they? If they make a 15% commision, its only $450.00 to sell a $40,000 car. Don't you believe in capitalism, or are you one of those "live off the Gov't" Liberals???
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Capitalism means we should shop for the best price possible... What the salesperson makes is none of our concern..

If you are only getting 15% of the gross, you should go work for another dealer...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I agree completely. You don't hear anyone crying about what happens to joe customer when a salesperson sells a car at full MSRP in addition to extended warranties, protection packages, etc, and makes a $1000 pop on a car.

If the dealer's couldn't make money selling cars at $500 over invoice they wouldn't sell the cars at those prices.
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    i got a final price after haggling with several dealers out here for 47,353.14 for mdx w/ent pkg. Does this sound good? anyone!!!!! This is out the door
    Does that include taxes? If so how much? Accessories? What accessories?

As a price for an MDX Ent I would say that it's not such a great deal.... Invoice + Destination charge is about $44,300 so you are giving the dealer about $3,000 of profit, or close to full MSRP (about $1300 off of sticker). You should be shooting for a maximum price of closer to about 2% over invoice + destination (or LESS), which would be about $45,300 out the door.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    You've come to the wrong place, Juli!

Helping to shape educated consumers is what Edmunds is all about. The salespeople sleep very well at night ( or on the job) as they soullessly soak those unprepared patsies who continue to enter their dealerships. They soak 'em for every dime they can get away with! Those few that have consciences, leave the business.

Let me guess: someone in your family sells cars. What other reason could there be to show sympathy?

You may be right-offering $500 under invoice for an MDX may turn off every dealer in the state.... BUT, as gasoline prices continue to rise with no end in sight and those thirsty 17 mpg MDX's taking up more and more space on the dealers' lots, I expect some of those "turned off" dealers becoming antsy enough to keep my phone pretty busy! :)
    that was 8.1% tax our plate fee is 900.00 42,600 + 3465.59 sales tax + plates and title and doc 1287.55
  • valone1966valone1966 Member Posts: 5
    I'm in the metro Atlanta area. I have a price for 2008 MDX w/ tech pkg. The best price I have gotten is $40395 (including dest chg) plus $495 doc fee, $42 title fee and tax so my true otd price would be $43,795 true drive off the lot price. Note that this does not include any options such as a roof rack etc... and that this is the base w/ tech pkg, no power lift gate. The doc fee is something every dealer in my area charges Comparing invoice prices, including dest and doc fees I end up just less than $500 over invoice. Please give me your brutally honest opinions.
  • burgermacburgermac Member Posts: 43
    Valone1966-
    By my math (and correct me if I'm wrong) it sounds like you are getting your MDX for about $7 below invoice (before those pesky doc fees which dealers cling to for dear life). Am I correct? I researched invoice on that car to be $40,402. I am in the market for the same car and would consider traveling to ATL to buy it. Would you please give me the name of the dealer you are dealing with? It sounds like a great deal, though it's important to remember, Acura vehicles have a 3% dealer holdback (which would viewed as profit, depending on how long the car has been on their lot). The holdback ($1332.30) plus the doc fee ($495) equals $1827, the dealer is still posting over $1800 in profit on your sale. Some in these forums might have you work the dealer harder in order to dig into some of that $1800, but I personally think that any deal done at invoice price is a good deal.

Again, please respond with the name of the dealer you're working with- they may move another unit just like yours if I can get the same deal!
    That sounds like a great deal. Doc fees are typical for the Acura dealers where I am also. Additionally they are part of a rocky mountain advertising co-op and they all charge a $300 advertising charge.

I got out the door for $500 over invoice + $300 for the advertising charge, which I felt was the best deal possible as they all try to hit you with the "protection package" also and I had managed to get this price on the color my wife wanted.

Sounds like a great deal I don't see any reason you wouldn't pull the trigger.
    It sounds like you are saying that your actual purchase price would be 42,600 for a Tech+Ent? If so that's about $1000 over invoice, which is good but you could do better.

In the future provide a complete line item breakdown of what you are being charged. Also, since sales tax varies by area it's best not to quote numbers that include it. It looks like you are saying you are getting the car for $42,600, + 3465.59 for sales tax + 1287.55 which includes title, registration and "documentation fees".
  • valone1966valone1966 Member Posts: 5
    burgermac, your math is correct. I got this from Ed Voyles Acura. I think this is a good deal. I plan on purchasing at the end of this month so we'll see where that leads.
    Yes jmpage2 that is what I'm saying invoice is 42400 and they want to sell it to me for 42600 two hundred over invoice. according to what has been listed in here it seemed like a good deal. Unless edmunds is wrong on the invoice price. Tax is tax 8.1% the title and plate fee out here are based on the price of the car"s invoice so there quite high compared to most states. His doc fee was 225 most out here r 365. So i just needed some feedback because on the east coast it seems deals are better and i haven't read anything from out this way.
  • mikejmmikejm Member Posts: 1
    I have been following this site for some time and it has been instrumental in getting a good deal without much difficulty. I purchased a 2008 acura mdx base in upstate ny for 38,000. I paid 444 for roof rails and around 140 for all weather mats and an additional 140 for cargo tray. When I showed the dealer the edmunds and cars direct price, we agreed on a price in the middle without a lot of negotiating. Thanks for everyones imput
  • mechanic5mechanic5 Member Posts: 6
    purchase at 41000 tech/ent (msrp 46610)
    no lease, but purchase 41000 tech/ent otd no sales tax (msrp 46610)
    What part of the country do u live in? Was that with plates and title fees?
  • achadha1achadha1 Member Posts: 65
    its pretty early in negotations right now i am at $47,291. This includes destination,processing fee(399), installing roof rails(390), installing sport running boards(699). No way i am going for there quoted price invoice is 45790(this includes all the items i have noted above). This is at pohanka acura in VA.

Anyone else have better luck with a sport and entertainment here?
    If the price was indeed $41,000 OTD for a new 2008 MDX tech/ent before tax, you did extraordinarily well!

The invoice including destination fee on the 2008 MDX tech/ent is $42,397.

This was a new vehicle, not a demo?
  • cbr1000rrcbr1000rr Member Posts: 12
    I did not get the sport/ent but I purchase the 07 sport from pohanka acura for 41500, which is the model directly below the sport/ent. My price includes the dest & processing fee. I purchased the sport running boards for $500 from the Acura dealership in Woodbridge and installed it myself. Pohanka will sell at or below invoice & then add your accessories... good luck.. :)
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    great price. I bought an '07 about 10 months ago, Sport with roof rack, cross bars, and body side molding, including dest. fee, $42,500, but I had to pay the processing charge.
  • mrjackcoffeemrjackcoffee Member Posts: 8
    In Atlanta- I got the Tech with Crome sidesteps- cross bars- and wood ster wheel- for $42,500- off the lot- all taxes in. Seems like you are getting hosed.
    Southern maine and new hampshire seacoast area purchase with 20 day plates and title fee- no sales tax. OTD 41000 new not demo. Prime Acura North Hampton, New Hampshire.
    This was a new vehicle not a demo.
    This was a new vehicle not a demo, which I negotiated from another dealership with the sales person competing on the phone from Prime Acura for my purchase.
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    It appears that the Sport model is difficult to find these days and I realize that Acura's doesn't make nearly as much as the non-Sport models. However, there is one dealer in CT I went to and although I didn't go through some serious negotiations after a quick test drive, they did present me with some "starting point" numbers. Their initial offer was $45,000 + $1,000 for body side moldings and sport running boards. This is not a good deal since, before adding accessories, this is only $1500 off sticker, thus yielding a dealer profit of $2,700 and that's BEFORE holdback. Apparently I was told that I can a better deal/discount on a regular tech because they had more of those in stock and the sales manager wanted to hold off to see if they can get takers at the price above. But I'd really prefer to get the Sport. By reading the previous posts, I should offer about 3% over invoice, so a fair offer would be around $43,575 ($42,306..invoice*1.03) before adding the accessories.

Any recommendations??? Do you think I'll have to drive hundreds of miles to get a good deal? Thanks.
    How would anyone know if you got a good deal or not when you talk about drive off prices including taxes? We don't know what taxes are in your area. Invoice + Destination on an '08 Tech is $40,400 so you might have gotten a fantastic deal or you might have gotten a mediocre deal depending on how much the taxes and other fees you refer to actually cost.

When quoting "deals" in this thread you should be showing what you paid for the vehicle including destination charge, and then what you paid for any additional charges such as tax+title, taxes (if you feel the need to report that info), and extra dealer fees such as marketing charges, documentation fees, etc.
    Good price!

When I went to Acura several days ago, there was zero activity at the dealership and a lot of new MDX's sitting around.

By the time I'm ready for negotiating, which will be June through July, the MDX's should be ripe for the picking, as they get a chance to slowly roast in the lots from the intense Florida sun with premium gas at about $4 a gallon and very few MDX customers in sight.

You put a great number up there. $1397 under invoice, OTD, pre-tax bears out what I have been saying: Nobody should be paying above invoice, pre-tax on an MDX.
  • jks7jks7 Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a MDX Sport w/o Ent in Central CT in January. I added the roof rails and bars and paid $43,475. The dealer had the exact truck I wanted sitting on the lot and I made phone calls to surrounding dealers and was suprised how willing they were to give me a price over the phone but I would have had to wait for the one I wanted for who knows how long. Every dealer told me the Sport was hard to come by. I just used their figures to negotiate with the dealer that had the truck.

Ulitmately I think I may have been able to do a couple hundred dollars better but I've been very happy with the Sport. It is worth getting if you are considering.
  • dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    jmpage2: it is easy. simply search the profile of the person in question and determine where they are located. then do a google search for the state sales tax for that location. then you know how much the tax was. it's not rocket science.
  • rajosmomrajosmom Member Posts: 6
    hpowders-

I too live in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and have been shopping around to lease the new MDX. My current MDX lease does not expire until July, I have been shopping around and have found the dealers in our area to be very willing to negotiate at 700-800 below invoice, although they are tacking on the destination charge and advertising fees to that number (which makes me come out at invoice). I agree with what you are saying about the dealerships being slow. However, I feel that the lease deals are really good right now and I am afraid of what will happen after 4-31. Maybe we can share information and help each other out. Let me know. Thanks,

rajosmom
    Thinkingly logically, with summer driving season almost upon us and the inevitable higher gas prices that come with it, MDX inventories have to be building up through the summer. People are already avoiding SUV's/COV's and their lousy mileage like the plague. Check out sales figures lately? Dealers can't give them away. MDX sales have been flat.

The dealers should be treating you very well when July rolls around and those MDX's are beginning to pile up. Also, a few months down the road, they must make room for the 2009 MDX's. Everything sounds like it will be in your favor.

I am looking for a base model and I most likely will lease. A 2 year lease sounds probable because I do want to turn it over and get the power lift gate base model. I would not pay more than $500 a month, after-taxes, no cap. cost reduction, just basic fees (acquisition fee) and security deposit up front.
    You are right; I should wait. The 2 lease payments I have remaining have to come from somewhere! I am also looking to lease a base model. I will probably do a 3 year lease. Thanks for your input.

rajosmom
  • hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    Thanks jk7. Could you provide the name of the dealership that you made your deal with? I thought about waiting, but it may be a moot point with the fact that so few Sport models are produced and that my trade, a GMC Acadia (I'm done with domestics!) will be quickly depreciating at a faster rate the longer I keep it. Thanks again.
    Anytime. You should do just fine in July.

Well, we know Acura will be moving 2 MDX's this summer in Florida.
  • jks7jks7 Member Posts: 2
    I ended up buying at Acura of Avon since they had it in stock. Good luck!
    I am a little confused. One dealer is telling me that the residual is 58% on a 12,000 mile per year lease for a base model MDX. Does this sound right?

rajosmom
  • jmz54926jmz54926 Member Posts: 6
    hi experts,
    I am buying this package this saturday and i wonder if i am getting a good deal:
    - 2008 Acura MDX with Power Tail gate
    - Destination & handling fee
    - All season Floor mats
    - Chrome side steps
    - Roof Rails
    - Moonroof Visor
    - Front lower Garnish
    - Rear lower garnish
    - Wheel locks
    - Side body molding
    - Installation for all accessories
    FOR TOTAL OF $42,987
    $250 DMV fees - not included
    $199 documentation fee - not included
    no finance charge at all

NEED FEEDBACK. THanks!
    I don't know if there is a published price yet for invoice on the TECH+LIFT model MDX that you are purchasing.

Invoice + Destination charge on the TECH model is about $40,400. The Lift Gate option is about $500 which means that it probably adds about $450 to the invoice price.

So invoice price of $40,850. You can find prices on your own for the various accessories at www.hondacuraworld.com, which you also seem to be getting a steep discount on (they add up to at least $1600).

Usually one shop hour costs $80-$100 and they would normally quote at least a few hours for the installation of all of the accessories you mentioned.

So it looks like you are effectively getting the vehicle for invoice price, getting the accessories for a very steep discount, and getting the labor on all accessory installation done for around $400.

In other words an absolutely excellent deal. What part of the country are you in and is there a trade involved in this deal?
    Yes, everyone who is researching prices should do all of the work you mentioned, or, the person posting the price could simply take tax out when quoting their deal.

Brilliant.
    Yes, 58% is the current residual for a base MDX for a 3 year 36,000 mile lease. The lease residual and money factor did not change between March and April on the MDX.
    That's great that you think I am getting a good deal!

I am actually in PA but buying from NJ.
    The sales guy (PW- as intials) was a referred to me by a friend.
    PA tax is only 6% which is great!

I never owned a car so nothing to trade in.

Thanks for your help!
  • cousinvinny4cousinvinny4 Member Posts: 5
    a 1% percent difference then nj...
  • cousinvinny4cousinvinny4 Member Posts: 5
    They were very efficient. Very professional and got a great deal. If you like you can e-mail(nyguy1208@aol.com) me for the details. I don't like to kiss and tell but this dealer was very honorable, and met all my needs and wants...
    Yes, it's a great deal. Be aware though that if you are leasing this SUV that all those accessories that you are buying have 0% residual value at lease end. You end up buying them for whoever takes the car after lease end unless you planned on unbolting all of them from the car before the car was turned in.

Generally it is a very poor idea to lease a car and spend a lot of money on accessories since they have no residual value, you pay 100% of them but get 0% back on them at lease end.
    I am actually going to finance it for 3 years since they approved my rate for 2.9%.
    Since my interest rate from online savings is a bit more than 3%, it would make more sense to finance.
    If it happens to dip blw my finance rate then I will pay it off in one shot.

Anyways Thanks for your help!
    I just wanted to make sure I was getting a great deal!
  • dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    jmz54926, your logic is a bit flawed. yes, the finance rate is 2.9% and yes, your savings account interest rate is slightly more than 3%. however, and this the big point, you pay tax on your savings interest but not on your car loan. so you really are not making money by playing this little game - in fact you are losing money. thus, if you have the full amount available, it would behoove you to pay it off in one shot.
  • mtl1mtl1 Member Posts: 2
    Looks like a great deal. I would be interested in the same one. Could I get the name of the dealership?
  • mtairyordgemtairyordge Member Posts: 144
    Well with Premium Fuel getting to be $4/gal probably going to an average of $4.50/gal by summers end what does everyone think about what effect this will have on the prices for the MDX.

Any hints about a reduced financing rate.