Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    athuraiathurai Member Posts: 7
    What is the MSRP on this vehile. Is this the $45,005 vehicle with an invoice of $40.963 (the one with PTG). If that is the case you are getting $4500 below invoice that is a kick [non-permissible content removed] deal.

Is the dest fee included in your price or extra. How about doc fee, processing fee, convenience fee, prep fee and other crap dealer would add and fluff the deal. Are they willing to give you this in writing before you show up.

If so, I would be all over it.
    (What state are u looking this at. If closer to me I would go get one too).
  • Options
    lhackettlhackett Member Posts: 1
    I have an offer for a 2008 mdx, basic package, for $2,373 down and $515 a month. deal ends end of August. Anybody think thinks will look better in September, or should I move? Or can I do better. It's an NYC dealer. thanks.
  • Options
    hogislanderhogislander Member Posts: 2
    I have kept up with this board quite a bit over the past few weeks as I have been in the market for an MDX. Here's my deal:

Base model MDX: $35,155 with promotional finance rate
    Roof rails with cross bars, chrome side steps and towing package: $2,014
    6 year 120K mile extended warranty: $1400
    Total price with 0.9% for 36 months: $38,569

This deal was from a dealer in St. Louis. I tried for about 2 weeks using several dealers to get them lower but none of them would budge. I don't think the dealer is making much on the deal at all (less than $1K) considering what he told me and I have every reason to believe him.
  • Options
    geekdoggeekdog Member Posts: 5
    Yes from John Eagle.
  • Options
    roughyearroughyear Member Posts: 52
    have you tried posting your lease on swapalease.com or leasetrader.com?? that would give u the largest audience for your car if u want out of ur lease.
  • Options
    kez73kez73 Member Posts: 1
    I have been emailing the sales folks at different dealers in the South Bay region of So Cal, and the best price I got was from Power Acura of South Bay in Torrance. Base price (incl destination fee) was:

$31,974 (if paying cash or getting my own financing, includes $3500 incentive), or
    $32,974 (includes $2500 incentive and financing through their internal program AHFC)

I opted for $32,974 and the 2.9% financing for 60 mo with zero down with AHFC (the best outside financing I could see was 5.49%). With tax, title and license, the total out-the-door price was $36,110.64.

They had base MDX's in gray, silver, black and white. I opted for the black with black leather, and will add the silver sport running boards ($722 installed) to it as well. I too was considering the CX-9, but had to go with the MDX since it has a much more appealing exterior style to it, and the price was too good to pass up.
  • Options
    austinpoweraustinpower Member Posts: 11
    Hello Geekdog, could you please give me some details about your purchase? Looks like you bought from houston and I am planning to buy by labor weekend.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    bbaakdbbaakd Member Posts: 8
    Thanks to all for sharing insights on this post, it was extremely helpful. Signed my deal Wed. night on a Tech/Ent w/ the colors I wanted (gray/taupe) and love it! Here are the specs:

$38,859 (including $760 destination charge + $99 dealer proc.)
    $600 cross bars/roof rails installed
    $2367.54 taxes (MD 6%)
    $274 tags, title

$42,100.54 OTD; Dealer was Frankel Acura - thought they did a real nice job.
  • Options
    karens2008karens2008 Member Posts: 26
    can you tell me what you paid for your car and where you're from (im in the NOrth east). didn't see your prior post. and what accessories if any did you get in your car? Im looking for one -- thanks
  • Options
    lovecars4lovecars4 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I am in the market for the 2008 MDX w/ tech pkg+PTG. I got quotes from 2 dealers and one of them is very aggressive given the # of cars they have in the lot. They called me and dropped the price few times and pushing me to get in to do the deal. The price seem fairly aggressive.

$36700 (no finance - cash deal) included in that is destfee, doc and other misc fees. Anyone has seen a better deal out there.

Also, is it worth to wait it out thru the end of month where the deals seem to be little better?. Or if this is an outstanding price can I pull the trigger. (One dealer offered at invoice price and got nasty when I told him I got a better deal. He still calls me back to "work" with me now. Too funny).

Please let me know
    Thanks
  • Options
    it's a good deal, even better if they allow for the financing, unless of course you can afford to pay cash.

any MDX should be able to be had at approx. $10k BELOW MSRP!!!

they're desparate, especially considering the '09 are near and the fuel efficiency is sub-par @ 16city 20hwy plus PREMIUM gas
  • Options
    quiltgirlquiltgirl Member Posts: 3
    I am in the market for a 2008 base MDX. So far the dealers in the area seem to be at ~$33,500 while many people are writing in about $32k to $32,700 in So Cal and No Cal. Pleaes pose any recent experiences with Colorado buying that is <$33,500. Thanks.
  • Options
    with the low financing avail through honda/acura they're not super pressed to go lower until the 2.9% expires sept 2nd.

if u bring in your own financing they'll drop it another couple hundred bucks, but that's not worth it if all of a sudden u go from a potential 2.9% to 6% increase in interest rate which would jackup your interest payments by almost $4000 over the term of the loan!!! you have to decide if your're ready now or if u can wait...then wait til the '09 are here and they'll be pressured to drop another few grand. again, though if the favorable interest rates aren't available you'll be paying more even with reduced pricing.
  • Options
    iron_eagleiron_eagle Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    Any body have business experience with Manhattan Acura in New York City, I mean how is there service and quality of vehicle? Please share your thought....
  • Options
    zagorzagor Member Posts: 5
    I had dealer in California offer 36,600 USD for MDX with Tech Package.
    Get them to finance at 0.9 percent and this is pretty good deal. As for cash - not such a good deal if you have mortage to pay at higher rate - better to put cash into principal into mortgage and then get car at below 1 percent at the price you previously determine.

Mazda is offering 0 percent financing on all their cars. Maybe Acura wakes up and does the same thing - it could really push their sales especially on gas guzzlers such as MDX which make no sense any longer in any type of city driving.
  • Options
    If you guys go to Google News and type in Acura MDX, you will see media reports that Acura MDX sales have fallen 35 percent: http://www.scrippsnews.com/node/35568

Considering really poor engine it has for today's gas prices and city driving conditions majority of users are in (low MPEG and PREMIUM fule it requires to give you performance most of us can't experience in city driving) do you guys think Honda should do mid-cycle upgrade and put engine that makes sense into this otherwise beautiful car and get their sales up?

Does anyone know anything about this?
  • Options
    Ask them to include 120k mile warranty at no additional charge. Really there is no cost to them.
  • Options
    danang3danang3 Member Posts: 1
    hi kez73

i'm looking 2008 Base MDX from Power Acura of South Bay in Torrance but they can't give the deal like you ,can you give the name and phone number of the person give you the deal ?

$31,974 (if paying cash or getting my own financing, includes $3500 incentive), or
    $32,974 (includes $2500 incentive and financing through their internal program AHFC)

please email me the information: hoang3le@yahoo.com

Thanks
  • Options
    nymininymini Member Posts: 10
    I am also in NYC area and would like to get the MDX Tech with PTG. Can you please let me know which dealer and salesman you got your car from for $37K. My email is wong126@hotmail.com. Many Thanks.
  • Options
    markdesignmarkdesign Member Posts: 2
    Bought my second acura at Thomas acura in west covina. I highly recommend this dealership. Still one of the few privately owned dealers. You will get a better experience here.

Price : $36,000
    ins : 750
    doc : 55
    tax 7.75 : 2,794.26
    subtotal : 39,599.26
    lic : 340
    gov fees : 8.75
    total : 39,948.01

7.99% apr 60 months ( due to poor credit )

good credit would have gotten me the 2.9 apr but the price of the car would have gone up to 37,000.
  • Options
    nami13nami13 Member Posts: 4
    We have been quoted $44,000 + Tax for the 08 Acura in Orlando, FL. It is the Touring model.
    Unless SUVs cost a whole lot more in FL, this deal is not really a deal. How much should we expect to pay?
    Thanks
    Nami
  • Options
    kamlakamla Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    i have been quoted 40232 + tax and fees for a 2008 MSX with Tech/Ent package
    in NJ

does this sound like a good price, we plan to put 30000 down and finace the rest @ 2.99 % from Acura..
    Please advise
    thax
  • Options
    shibstershibster Member Posts: 2
    I've only walked in there a few times. The experience was mediocre. My sales guy had only been there a month and was very unfamiliar with the basics of the product.
  • Options
    vavavoomvavavoom Member Posts: 42
    dont' know your market but i figure a starting point to deal would be invoice minus full incentive ($2500 with special financing). you probably can do better than taking the first "decent" quote that comes your way.

what jumps out at me is your financing choices. it looks like acura has a 0.9% financing for 36 months which is basically free money. why are you not financing the full amount for 36 months and keeping that 30K liquid. more perplexing is if you've got enough mulah to put down 30K, why are you stretching the payments past 36 months to pay honda 2.9%. i know everyone has his/her unique situation but this just makes no sense to me.
  • Options
    i can't stand it when a salesperson does know his/her product.. i start to zone out and will just leave.

@ :mad:
  • Options
    reignmnreignmn Member Posts: 3
    Would you mind sharing the dealer you used to work with for your deal? I am look in the St. Louis area as well.
  • Options
    Hi,
    I am fairly close to getting this SUV from a Mass dealer. I am wondering what would be the added prices on top of the vehicle price. They keep saying TTL and I am wondering that the actuals would be.

MA State Sales tax - 5% of the Car sale value.
    Car Title - $50
    Reg. Fee - $36 (2 years)

Anything else that need to be paid in addition to the above (Ofcourse the doc fee and other dealer fee are taken care of as part of the deal).
    I dont want to be sitting at their conference table and negotiating once again. I want to go in prepared.
    Thanks for your help
  • Options
    mikenaumikenau Member Posts: 2
    Well I finally purchased a Tech & Ent model. Silver with Ebony interior. Cash price before TTL was $38000. Worked with Weir Canyon Acura in Anaheim, CA area. Experience was very positive - would recommend the sales person I worked with. Email me : mikenau1 at yahoo.com if you want the name.
  • Options
    car_googlecar_google Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am in Boston area and I am considering the 2008 MDX base model. One dealer was willing to sell for $33300( including destination fee) + dealer fee + reg fee. Is this a good deal? From previous posting, it looks like I should be able to get Base model around $32500 including destination charge. Any recommendations?

Thanks
  • Options
    Why is that the dealers get nasty when you tell them that you got a better offer and decided to go with someone else. How do they think that this will make them more desirable. As such some of them were very rude when you try to negotiate with them on the phone and refuse to show up and "sit down with them" for negotiations. One guy even said "so you are not man enough to come in and have a conversation with us, huh?". They think this stupid reverse psychology will work?. It is amusing to hear some of the comments, though.
  • Options
    stjstj Member Posts: 4
    Hi car_google,
    I am also looking for the 2008 MDX base model in boston area. It has been really tough to get price down with dealers. How were you able to get those numbers? amazing! Could you please share a little bit after your deal is done? email: stjiang@gmail.com
    many thanks.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where I can get the dealer pricing for the accessories. I looked at KBB, Edmunds and at Acura.com but couldnt find the dealer cost for the some of the accessories that I am interested in. I am told that I am given dealer pricing for some of the accessories I am getting but I want to make sure that I am.
    Where can I find this?
    Thanks
  • Options
    i don't believe anybody posts official dealer prices on accessories, although there are probably some dealers on acurazine that can quote you some prices. i benchmarked my purchases on ebay - dealer-direct.
  • Options
    Only amateur buyers negotiate in person on sale's person's turf these days. Best way to purchase is to pre-agree on the price and just pick up the car. Dealers will have to re-adjust their attitude or go extinct.
  • Options
    dishwash42dishwash42 Member Posts: 89
    Your two mistakes:

1. Getting PTG (power tail gate). Complete waste of money imo.
    2. Buying a 2nd MDX with poor credit. You really shouldn't be plunking down money for luxury SUV until you repair your credit score and/or improve money management habits.
  • Options
    sdkarsdkar Member Posts: 4
    I bought a 2008 Acura MDX Sport with PTG. My out the door final price with taxes, tags, fees, etc. was what MSN Carpoint shows as invoice.

My MSRP on the sticker was $47,105.
    Invoice shows $42,868.
    I got it out the door for $42,912. ($39,640 plus taxes and fees)
    Also, I got 2.9% for 60 months.
    I then received $2,400 for my trade in, no money down, $760 a month.
  • Options
    Interestingly enough Acura itself posts the MSRP prices for the accessories (none of the other ca manufactureres post their prices). But those are MSRP though you cant find invoice price anywhere. So it is better to go light on these things as it is hard to negotiate on these.
  • Options
    Many said that in September Acura will provide better offer to sell off their 2008 MDX. Do you guys believe it? I probably just want to wait a couple of weeks if that is the case.

Any thoughts??
  • Options
    Time in most cases should be on your side but you'd need to start checking the inventory of the dealers in your area. fyi, the dealer i bought my car from has, in a month and a half reduced his inventory from 150 to 91 in stock mdx's - that's a pretty good clip of sales. the incentives are doing its job and there's more to go for them but you may eventually not find the color combos you're looking for.
  • Options
    ping4ping4 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a 2009 MDX base model in the new Bali Blue Pearl color. Has anyone looked in to pricing on a 2009. I checked two local dealers who were $1200 over invoice plus TT and a $100 processing fee.
  • Options
    You are definitely right. It is a good deal anyway comparing to previous years.
  • Options
    a1s1a1a1s1a1 Member Posts: 25
    Soccerandlost,

You are absolutely right about the pricing. Today I test drove a 2008 MDX with Tech/Ent package, MSRP on the vehicle 46K, selling price after no or zero negotiation 39,400 without special financing and 40,400 with special financing but before TTL. The salesman told me that the dealership would make 500$ on this deal which I found to be appropriate and didn't find it worth to haggle. Would you or anyone else, please comment on this price. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    Technically, your salesman is correct, he's making around $500 above invoice+incentive; although depending on how long the car has been sitting on the lot, they'd probably make a little bit more in holdback (this may not be true profit but at this rate, they're lucky not to be losing money on the sale of a car). I do know that salesmen get peanuts on a sale like this but then again, that's not your concern.

buying a new car is a rather emotional process for many but if you're already on edmunds looking for deals, i'd say you have a good clue or as least an inkling on how to get a good deal. I frankly would not pay more than invoice minus incentive (and yes, i'd pay the extra $1000 to get 0.9 financing which i will reiterate is basically a cheap loan for $40K - i like liquidity and would keep that $40K liquid or invested) . i'd recommend you lowball him a few hundred below invoice and incentive (i.e. you're theoretically eating into his holdback) and see if he'll come back with an offer). he comes back with $0 profit, tell him to add the protection package and he has a sale ;). perhaps this may be too hardass for your market but if you have plenty of dealers in your area, you just have to try (you don't get what you want if you're too shy to ask).
  • Options
    nami13nami13 Member Posts: 4
    We are considering a pre-owned vehicle so that the numbers work better. It has 40000 miles on it. Does that seem a little high to you for an 18 - 20 month old car?
    The dealer quoted 28000. It has a Navigation system but probably no bluetooth on the 07. Any advice? What are the issues I could run into with a 40000 mile car?
  • Options
    soccerandlostsoccerandlost Member Posts: 50
    a1s1a1,

I agree with vavavoom in that I think you can probably get it even lower if you want. Ignoring all fees (including dest), MSRP is $45,895 and invoice is $41,683. Take the $2500 dealer cash with AHF financing and that brings you to $39183. Now dig into the holdback a bit -- my suspicion is that you can get about $800-900 more out of that. Now you're in the $38,300 range (a savings of about $1,100). Again, all of this is without any fees or TTL -- so assuming you roll them into the financing the final cost will be higher.

Keep in mind that getting at that dealer holdback is not a foregone conclusion -- so you may have pretty close to the best deal you are going to get. It's largely going to depend on the dealer's inventory (the more they have, the more likely they are to sell them at fire sale), whether they have the one you want in stock (you won't get as good a deal if they have to trade a car with another dealer), and the competition in their market (the more competition, the more likely they will be to deal).

As for financing, as you see above I agree with vavavoom that you're probably better off doing the AHF financing at .9% (for 3 years) if you qualify. Even with the $450 or so in bank fees, the APR is outstanding -- especially if you finance most of the vehicle (since the bank fee is diluted). If you are entirely risk averse with the current financial market, you can take the safe route and put the money in a 3-year CD making nearly 5% APY. By my off-the-cuff calculations, compounded interest at 5% APY on $40k would net you about $6300 over the course of that 3 years, while your interest payments on a 3-year $40k loan at .9% APR would cost you about $1000 over that same time period (plus the additional $1000 in dealer cash you have to give up to get the rate). In other words, you would make about $4,300 over 3 years by investing the money AHF loans you. The only other factor to consider is whether you are willing to tie up your $40k for 3 years (in which case you would have to find another source to make your monthly loan payments), or if you want to invest the funds in vehicles with more liquidity (which may have lower or greater APYs).
  • Options
    ping4ping4 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know what changes they made to the 2009. The body style is the same, but I am wondering if there are any minor changes. Thanks.
  • Options
    mchung23mchung23 Member Posts: 1
    just wanted to share a deal my wife and i got last week.

2008 MDX Tech/Ent with sport running boards, body side molding, all season floor mats, and wheel locks for $40,547 w/o TTL or tax. Even had to swap with another dealer for the color combo (blk/ebony) we wanted.

this was in springfield, nj, salesman was great to work with

picking it up tomorrow :shades:
  • Options
    colonotecolonote Member Posts: 7
    I could buy my 05 leased MDX at end of lease for the residual of $22,000. 35k miles in perfect condition. In view of market for SUVs, that was too high and Honda Finance won't negotiate. The dealer that I leased thru said I could do an "in and out": The lease dealer has the first right buy the car from Acura for Acura's posted price, within 3 days of turn in. If he passes, other dealers can buy it, then it goes to auction.
    So we agreed that I could buy it from him at $500 over his cost + dealer prep + paperwork - about $1,000 total. After turning it in, Acura offered it to dealers at $15,000, so I bought it saving $6,000 off the residual cost. No Acura preowned certification, but I knew the car.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    Wow.. nice deal!

And.. a nice dealer, as well...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    a1s1a1a1s1a1 Member Posts: 25
    Soccerandlost and Vavavoom,

Thanks for your insightful mails, I really appreciate your time in passing this valuable information to me and others to learn from. Having said that, I am going to go ahead and try to negotiate for even a better deal and keep you and others posted on this site. Thanks again!