Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    To be honest, I dislike balloon financing as well, but I need a payment I can handle - less than $500/mo. Supposedly, this deal is similar to leasing, w/o the fees and penalties and such. Tax in NYC is 8.75% (really sucks) but I can't get around that. The rate he is basing these payments on is supposedly 3.9%. I ran the figures and I'm about $40 a month off of his numbers, so there is some fudge factor that I'm not aware of yet. I haven't really fully researched this proposition yet, but I'm looking for opinions on the preliminary numbers.
  • inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    have you considered 72 months fixed financing? I have seen 4.9%. Perhap payment with zero down would get you close to budget. Are there no turn in fees at end of ballon? I look at ballon as lease without some of the gotchas.
    What color X do you like?
    INKY
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good info here, but you may want to check in Lease Questions - Ask Here too.

Steve, Host
  • cevans2cevans2 Member Posts: 23
    According to the salesman, no fees on the front or the back. With $22,140 buyout, I'm thinking if I sell, even before the end of the term, and with the X's good resale value, maybe I'll make a buck or two. The absence of the leasing "gotchas" is what attracts me to this deal, but I've got to go over the papers really closely and make sure I understand all the calculations. 72 mos finance still doesn't give me a monthly payment I like. I'm gonna see if I can find the MDX in the dark blue - might be kind of hard or I might have to wait. Silver with black interior is my alternative.

Steve_Host - thanx. I read the leasing info, but I'm gonna over it again to make sure I understand it better.
  • Lance4170Lance4170 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a 2004 MDX with the DVD system. I've spoken with the 4 Acura dealerships in the area and the best offer so far as been $39,999 (plus $199 conveyance fee). I know the car is popular and in tight supply, but looking over the Consumer Reports dealer pricing and factoring in the dealer holdback, the dealer is paying $35,812 for the car. Isn't $4000 a big profit? Or is there just little leverage for this car?
  • inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Sounds a little low. Your quote looks good since MSRP is now $41,000 for the RES.

I|NKY
  • northmdxnorthmdx Member Posts: 2
    Lance can I ask which dealer are you working with? and your opinion of the dealership?
  • markj10markj10 Member Posts: 18
    I have been shopping and requesting quotes across AL, FL, GA and TN and not found very many dealers willing to negotiate on a 2004 MDX Touring with RES and about $2500 in dealer accessories. Many dealers would not even negotiate and others even declined any offers. Several offered to cut $500-$700. Gary Force Acura outside of Nashville was the best I could find willing to cut about $1600.
    Anyone else have any SE contacts with better deals? I was hoping for at least $2000 off msrp without any added dealer admin costs etc.
  • bestofdixiebestofdixie Member Posts: 13
    Hello markj10. I just purchase a new 04 Premium MDX in Alabama and I too shopped in AL,GA, TN, and MS. I have purchased several vehicles over the years and have bought the last four via the internet, but the MDX has been the hardest and took the most effort of all. I couldn't get many dealers to even respond to my request and not many wanting to negoitiate on the price. I got $1400 off of my Premium and really felt I should have done a little better, but the dealer wouldn't budge any more so I went ahead and got it because my wife wanted it. We are really pleased with it and we are enjoying it. I think the deal you have for this vehicle is about as good as it is going to get at this time of the year. The way they look at it if you don't buy it someone else is. They even told me this.

Hope this helps,
    bestofdixie
  • markj10markj10 Member Posts: 18
    Was reading my Sunday paper this AM and saw an add for Acuras for less at www.acurasforless.com.
    Has anybody used this site or requested a quote ??? I visited the site but couldn't figure out if it was a dealer or just another buying service. Seems I can usually do better on my own than most of these buying services.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The Acurasforless domain is registered to Tim Smith Acura in Fort Walton Beach. That would explain why they are advertising in your local Pensacola paper.

It's always a bit disconcerting when a site doesn't have an About link disclosing who they are.

Steve, Host
  • edy2edy2 Member Posts: 2
    I placed an order for a 2004 MDX with RES and NAV (Aspen Pearl White). I was told that the worse case scenario will be 6 weeks for delivery. The price including destination charge of $545 is $41,600. This was the best price I could quote in my area. If you are interested, the dealer is Montclair Acura in Northern New Jersey.
    Thank you for sharing your buying experiences in this board. They really helped me get a deal I feel comfortable with.
    A few months ago, I had a terrible buying experience with Acura 23 in Wayne, NJ. I even had to hire an attorney to get my deposit of $1,000 back. After ordering a 2003 MDX with very little discount, they tried to deliver the car with a damaged driver's seat. (There was a scratch right on the middle of the seat) I refused delivery of the car because they just offered to repair the seat (not replace it). Why should a customer pay for a brand new car and have it repaired before delivery?
    My advise to all is to take your time checking your car before you sign any papers. If you find anything you do not like, do not take the car for any reason. It becomes your problem once it is outside the dealer's lot. As long as you do not take the car, it is their problem not yours.
    I will let you know how my new buying experience goes.
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    It is not uncommon for repairs to be made before a car is sold. Done properly, the buyer will not see the repair or any need for the repair.

Definitely check out any car before purchase and look for signs of a repair. Repairs on body damage can be hard to spot. The first MDX I tried to buy (two years ago) had a defect in the interior and the dealer would not replace the part before purchase. I walked away and ordered from a different dealer.
  • edy2edy2 Member Posts: 2
    You are absolutely right. If they had repaired the car, I would probably had not noticed. I think they were just greedy and tried to get away with it altogether.
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I smell a car salesman.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    It's nothing a little Renuzit can't fix! :-)

tidester, host
  • minime5minime5 Member Posts: 41
    just look up message #268 on the TL Prices Paid board, and the guy even admits to working for Acura!! Just goes to enhance that wonderful stereotype of car sales people!!!
  • wzcwzc Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a '04 MDX (Touring package, DVD & RES) today from Sunnyvale Acura for $1200 below MSRP ($42045). Definitely shop around.
    Hi folks, I picked up my 04 Aspen Pearl last Wednesday and on Tuesday Tulsa had mother of all hail storms--estimate is $5200 on my 200 mile beast. What I really want to relay you about is difference in damage estimates between Ford, Volvo, toyota, Lexus and Honda, Acura. this is using coworkers cars who were damaged.
    These are my observations only and I have owned more Honda/Acuras than any other make.
    Honda Acura sheet metal has been discussed before and many places but I always was a Honda fan due to resale and never fully considered this Achilles heal. It should be just one of many considerations a consumer makes. If not in hail country you will have more door dings than most.
    My Paintless Dent removal shop (PDR) attested to the sheetmetal characteristics I have below. He said he would only buy Lexus in the price range because he knows damage potential of all makes.
    From my coworkers cars in the same parking lot:

1999 RX 300 12-15 dings, paintless dent removal (PDR) $500.
    2004 Acura MDX 120-150 dings (some creased and very deep). Hood totalled $5,200. PDR and traditional paint work all over even sides that faced the hail. I was somewhat sad on Tuesday.
    2003 Ford F150 100+dings. $2000. PDR candidate
    2003 GMC 100+dings. $1500. PDR candidate
    2003 Merc Mountaineer. 10 dings. $300 PDR.
    2002 Volvo 40. 100+ dings. $3000 PDR and traditional paint work.
    All hondas on the lot, Accords, Civics, Crvs all years faired poorly compared to the rest. All look like a child used a hammer all day to make dings. All parked in same parking lot. All will cost a lot to fix. I just discovered why insurance comprehensive higher on this make.
    2003 Tahoe. Minor waves. Owner will not repair. Hardly noticable even to me.
    2000 Lexus ES 300 10-12 minor dent. PDR. $500
    1999 Lexus GS 300 15-20 dents some moderate. $1000.
    If I had a black car it would be worse since everything would show. Luckily I do not.

INKY
  • vinnynyvinnyny Member Posts: 764
  • crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    sorry to hear about your mishap. some acts of nature are hard to avoid. btw, is this your 3rd MDX?
    yes, and the best to date. This does hurt.
    INKY
  • hopeitsfridayhopeitsfriday Member Posts: 396
    Thank god for insurance, I wonder does it have to do with the fact that your paint job were so new that you got so many dings. Honda has been known to have a softer paint job than others to start with. A paint job thats a week old may not have a chance to harden up yet. I found that most Japanese cars have lighter gauge sheet medal to start with, we have a Toyota and it has dings all over the place. The American cars are usually tougher to dent. According to your list, the Ford F150 has a 100+ dings, as far as I know, the F150 is one tough truck. It kind of tells me that the number of dings are somewhat due to luck and I am sure the sheet medal is a factor as well.
    Thanks. Paintless Dent shop told me that for major imports, Acura/Honda was his worst nightmare (or in this case merry Christmas since PDR is hot in hail) . Always more damage. I guess the car would weight 500 pounds more if and get bad gas mileage. Wrong place wrong time. The paint work is what scares me on the new Aspen white pearl. Bad work equals lower resale which as you guess is important to me. Maybe a sign to keep car forever.
  • bibi1bibi1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

I live in Richmond Virginia and interested in buying a 2004 MDX with the navigation system but no entertainment system. I'm willing to travel to northern virginia,norfolk, or Virginia beach area to get a fair/good deal. Has anybody gotten a good deal in these areas that they can refer me their dealer. I have been reading the postings and I feel that my current quote is way too high.

Thanks alot!
  • fndlyfmrflyrfndlyfmrflyr Member Posts: 668
    Have had PDR on my 02 MDX. Can't find where the damage was. I wonder how fiberglass cars do in hail. They don't dent, but I wonder if the paint chips.

You said 'get bad gas mileage' if the car weighed more. MDXs don't get good mpg now. A little less would probably not be noticed. Mine gives about the mpg expected, with an actual, not trip computer, overall average of 17 (16.987) for the last 19,179 miles.

For those that are thinking about upgrading your Navi DVD to the just released DVD, you might want to wait for a debugged version of the upgrade. It is not easy to switch back to the OE DVD once the upgrade is installed. I wish I had not upgraded - too many bugs.
  • aggiefrankaggiefrank Member Posts: 1
    I'm being offered $38,000 +TTL for 04. Is this a good deal? Dealership is in Dallas Metroplex and has a good reputation.
  • danschiffdanschiff Member Posts: 4
    I have a dealership in Northwest Chicago that I have been negotiating with.

2004 MDX, Sagebrush Green with Quartz interior, Touring with NAV (No RES), bodyside moldings, wheel locks and the all weather floor-mats:

39114+TTL (7.75%, 80 and 15)

I have my own financing already @ 4.9, and a sizeable down-payment (7-10k) but will hear any dealer offers for financing once settled on a price.

My wife and I negotiated down from the first one of 39650 to 39114, but were still unsure.

We walked out on Saturday, but within the week I will settle on a purchase. Just wanted to get a reality check from the message boards.

I used Edmunds for invoice info, and had three internet systems request quotes from local dealers (6 total, only got pricing from two, one at 39680, and the other at 39760). All requests were for a 2004 MDX, Touring with NAV, Silver or Sage in color.

I already sold my old car and have settled on an MDX.

I plan on buying an installing some aftermarket stuff myself (side rails, maybe a handsfree Cell phone system, etc.)

Also, I have a quote for a remote starter (from a third party installer) for $199, and was wondering if anyone has one installed on their MDX, and if so, any problems.

Finally, what are the opinions on paint protection and undercoating? I know not to buy from the dealer because of markup charges, but Ziebart here in Chicago will do everything for 599 (Paint protection, soundproofing, undercoating, carpet and leather treatment, U/V protection, etc.) I know this might seem excesive, but I live in Chicago...not California :) We get some nasty weather and a lot of salt usage here.

Any opinions/suggestions/thoughts?

Thnks,

Dan
    My 03 got about 20 overall. 23-24 was normal for 65-70 on flat. Hills and city driving just kill it.
    4wd on acceleration and 4500 pounds to hinder momentum. I am pleased with pure highway mileage.
    My 04 seems the same but the new hail effect I acquired last Tuesday may be increasing drag.

danschiff: I got 3.8% for 60 months zero down on my soon to be hail damaged MDX. REpairs come 1 DEC! cant wait.
    On protection crap all junk for those prices. Buy a bottle of Lexol for leather and Zaino for paint and just soak in the beauty.
    INKY
  • wolfman12wolfman12 Member Posts: 8
    Hi Dan-
    Your post caught my eye cause I am in the market for an SUV as well(the MDX or the RX330). I have test driven the RX but not the MDX and plan to do so tomorrow. Would you mind sharing the name of the dealership where you got your deal? I live in the Western Burbs(Naperville) and if I really like the car, I might be willing to buy as soon as this month. I am looking for a loaded version(NAV/RES/Touring). Do you happen to know if your dealer had any?

I wonder if they would sweeten the deal(for both of us) if they were getting two customers willing to buy at the same time(you and I)? Just a thought...

By the way, how do you like the ride? I need one for an expanding family and a sedan just will not cut it any more.

Thanks!
  • mouseonlinemouseonline Member Posts: 47
    I got an offer for any 2004 MDX for $900 over invoice. Is this a good deal?
    I am in Ohio. Thanks.
  • rerenov8rrerenov8r Member Posts: 380
    The stock of 04s seems very very good compared to what I was seeing only a few months ago. I routinely drive past Napelton & McGrath Westmont who are both in good supply. I get past Conti in Lisle about once a week.Unfortunately NONE of those folks would budge off MSRP.
    There is no shortage of "fully loaded" MDXs -- in fact it is harder to find 'em w/o NAV & RES.

I have not been back to Rizza in orland in a while, but they were the only folks willing to deal when I got my NAV 03 in July.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Sounds very good compared to prices in DC. Mind sharing the name/location of your dealership. I'm considering buying a Pilot in western PA, so an MDX in Ohio is not out of the question. Thanks.
    mouseonline -- That is a great price! Please share the dealership name. If I really like the car and none of the delaers here in Chicago budge off MSRP, I wouldn't mind taking a trip out to Ohio to pick one up.

rerenov8r -- Thanks for the heads up on the inventory. I would hope they would budge from MSRP given they are sitting on the lots. Conti has a bunch sitting too. I've seen the same ones for over two weeks now! Seems like danschiff in Chicago(post above) got a fairly decent deal. I'll keep Rizza in mind...
    I will find out if there is any hidden trick. In my personal interest, I will post detail information only after I purchase a MDX or decline this offer. The deal is until the end of Nov., i.e. till this weekend. The sales person is trying to meet his quota.
    I was debating beteween the MDX and the Lexus GX470. I really like GX more, but MDX is more practical (bigger, fold flat seats, better MPG etc.) and cheaper. I so far only got a $1000 off MSRP GX offer and this MDX offer seems pretty good. I am not sure what I will end up buy.
    You don't have a "business" need for the GX470, do you?

I believe the GX470 has a gross vehicle weight of over 6,000 lbs, whereas the MDX comes in at a teasing 5,950 +/- lbs. The difference for me - where I can write off the majority of the vehicle expenses - would be enormous. The first year actual tax savings on a $55,000 Land Cruiser are roughly $14,000 more than an MDX (standard depreciation), almost making the two vehicles identical in after tax price.
    But I'd rather depreciate the MDX in 5 years versus 1 year for GX.
    There is no real saving between them, especially when my business is growing really fast (my tax bracket is getting higher.).
    I don't want to make my auditor envy as well.
    Excuse me but Duh?
    Excellent deal.
    Check with your tax advisor, but I believe that it would take about 10+ years to fully depreciate a $40k MDX, based upon the maximum annual depreciation limit for vehicle that weighs under 6,000 lbs (GVW). For a 6,000+ lb vehicle, it would be fully depreciated in 5 years. The year 2-5 depreciation write-off on the GX would still be considerably greater than the MDX.

I'm not advocating getting a vehicle you don't like for tax reasons. But if you like both vehicles, it may pay to research the depreciation issue further.

How did you find the GX relative to third row seating space?
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    I live in DC and I set up a deal for my wife to purchase a 2003 MDX touring w/nav and res this past August from Lindsay Acura in Columbus Ohio. I posted the details here on post #564. go back and read the post, and if you need any more details, feel free to contact me. I don't know what type of deals are being offered on 2004's, but I am willing to bet that the Ohio price will be better than what you can find in the DC area.
    Thanks very much for the reference. I will check it out. Where are you having your MDX serviced?
  • eddiemaceddiemac Member Posts: 141
    I go to Tischer in Laurel. This is our third Acura. I have a 2002 tl-s, and before that I had a 90 integra which I owned for 11 years until I bought the TL. I live in DC, but I am an equal distance between Tischer and Radley. I have a good relationship with Tischer. They honor everyone's(all other Acura dealers') coupons, and their prices are good. I paid $145 for the 15k service on the tl, and chevy chase acura wanted $250 for the same thing! When it comes to service, each dealer seems to have their own pricing for the same services, so call around. I took the MDX in to Tischer for the first oil change, and they did it for free even though I bought the MDX in Ohio! Radley is good because the service dept. is open until 2am.
  • danschiffdanschiff Member Posts: 4
    wolfman12 please contact me directly via email.

I bought my MDX (described in #798) on Tuesday 11/26, and will receive it on the 18th or so in Dec.

The dealer has about 18 on the lot right now, and the other dealers I called also are starting to carry inventory of most colors.

I saw the Bronze metalic with Ebony interior. I think it will be out of fashion in the next couple years, and doesn't look like a long term purchase.
  • smg1062smg1062 Member Posts: 54
    Folks, Im going SUV shopping this weekend. Convince me why I should get the MDX over the 4Runner Limited. I have my choices narrowed down pretty much to those two............thanks!
    I've sent you a message...

Thanks!

By the way, not a big fan of the bronze either...
  • paul_vpaul_v Member Posts: 1
    What is best offer you found on MDX'04?
    Please reply in one line:
    discount-$..., state-.., trim-...
  • klinklin Member Posts: 54
    Hello,

From best dealer quotes, I found out that similarl-optioned HL Ltd is only about $3K apart from MDX base.

Any suggestion/advice from who had done the study/comparison on which is a better value/quality/reliability?

Thanks

Thanks
  • theboojthebooj Member Posts: 5
    I purchased an '04 w/nav/touring package 1 week ago. After a day or so, I noticed a very distinct resonating/pulsing @ approx. 2000 rpm, under load, but esp. annoying at freeway speeds about 68-75 mph. This may be as a result of the redesign of the exhaust system from '03 to '04, which added 5 hp. Please do yourself a favor and extensively test drive around 2k rpm and at suggested highway speeds with radio off and with no one talking to determine whether you can live with this characteristic. So far, both dealer and Acura say it's a "design of the car" and not a defect. Decide for yourself!
  • ovation00ovation00 Member Posts: 6
    I put about 400 miles so far and haven't noticed the hum or resonating noise at around 2000 rpm. It seems OK at 65~75mph as well. A friend of mine has a 04 mdx and has not noticed the problem yet.
  • ovation00ovation00 Member Posts: 6
    In response to the email I received a couple of days ago, I paid $42400 (including destination charge) for my 04 mdx w/ navigation, satin finish side step, rear spoiler, body side molding, wheel locks, all weather mats, cargo tray.