Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• hpslayerhpslayer Member Posts: 2
    in chicago land acura of libertyville
  • richie11richie11 Member Posts: 8
    Can someone tell me if this is a good price..

Black on Black MDX Tech/ent, 54k miles for 28.5K. Is this a good price?
  • freelancer16freelancer16 Member Posts: 7
    I'm getting quotes for mid 36K for Base model in stock, but that's it. So basically, the dealers all refuse to give up their holdback.

One dealer quoted mid 35K, but won't have the one I want until next week (May 4), when the marketing support might be yanked.

Is 36,500 a good price or should I risk waiting until next week?
  • lyonseelyonsee Member Posts: 11
    I got a quote slightly under 36K for the base model including destination.
    I offered 35K but it has not been accepted yet.
    I'm going to be awaiting until May 4, the new incentive available.
    Thanks for the response. That's helpful.

I just got a quote for 36K incl. destination in my preferred color. Since no other dealers will go near that number, I think that's probably a pretty good deal. In fact, I had a couple flatly turn me down.

I'm concerned about whether May incentives will be any better and what kind of supply will exist at that point. It's clear that base models are in short supply now.
  • chris_kchris_k Member Posts: 4
    If dealers are refusing to give up their holdback, then that means they can afford to wait out low offers because they have a limited supply. When I recently purchased my MDX I initially was thinkng that the dealer should give me some holdback, but I have second thoughts about that. The sales rep I dealt with spent a lot of time with me, the finance guy did all of my paperwork, the support staff prepped and washed and cleaned my car, and the dealer has to pay his light bill. A lot of people "touched" my car in order for me to buy it and that costs money. Not trying to get on a high horse, but the fact that the dealer is selling the car at invoice plus giving back their $2000 in marketing support means that you are getting a great deal. If you tried to purchase this same car a year ago, you would have paid MSRP.

As the MDX supply dwindles because Honda is cutting production, Acura is able to maintain a higher price without the perception of discounting. That's probably why the $2k incentive (which I think they call Marketing Support) is back to the dealer, and not directly to the consumer, to maintain the illusion that the Acuras are not being discounted.

If the dealer has the color/options that you want right now, then I would go for it. Is there a guarantee that the vehicle you want will be delivered next week for $35.5? The risk you take is that the $2k incentive goes down. If Acura has moved more cars off of their lots this month then the marketing support might go down.

I had the same dilema as you in February - thinking should I wait until March? Incentives were the same in March so I thought "should I wait till April?" I bought in March and feel that I got a great deal. There were 15 or so MDX Techs on the dealers lot at the time but now there are 6. I don't know if I would get the full $2k back if I was trying to do the deal today.

Bottom line - if your car is on the dealer's lot now then buy it, don't look back, and you will love your ride! Good luck.
  • das22das22 Member Posts: 1
    My local dealership offered me: 39,565 total (after add on fees)- I think this is way too high, but not sure what is reasonable. Please help!!!!!!!! I live in Madison, WI- looking for 2009 Acura MDX basic black/black or other.
  • timtechtimtech Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2009 Base MDX last night for $34,600 + destination, tax, and title near the north border of IL (Pauly Acura of Highland Park, IL). I have been looking for an MDX for six months and every time I have been to this dealer they have treatmented me right. No run arounds, right to the price, no pressure / hassle of talking to the person in charge of the deals, etc.

The big thing was my trade in. I had a 2005 Honda Pilot EXL with 34,000 miles on it. I took my trade in to a different dealer yesterday morning that offered me the same purchase price. They low balled my trade in so bad and confirmed that if I could get the deal I was offered at the other place that I should take it. So I did. It was a very easy and quick transaction.
    If you got it for $35,360 before tax & title, that's a great price, so congrats.

I think there may be some significant regional differences in pricing because none of the dealers in this area would go near that figure.
    As I mentioned in response to timtech, I think there are some regional pricing differences - say around $500 or so. But I have a hard time believing that your local dealer should be charging $3 to 4K more than what timtech or I paid.

I'd suggest looking around a bit more. It's a painful process. All told, I spoke to a dozen different dealers within 100-mile radius before finding an acceptable price.

Good luck.
  • timtechtimtech Member Posts: 6
    I simply did the Edmunds price quote and selected dealers in my area that I know.
    (internet pricing)
    I also did the Costco deal which the numbers didn't work out as well.

One dealer left me their internet pricing sheet that they use internally and it had great comments on it. Up sell nitrogen filled tires, wheel locks and something else. Every auto had them installed already.

Then it listed things about they can offer this price to attract customers in on the low price then "pinch" them on their trade in. I couldn't believe someone would leave that with a potential customer. They even pulled the we have to go find your car keys while the sales manager questions why I wouldn't jump on their deal.

Bottom line, there are some great dealers and some not so great.

I hope this helps some people.
  • hvatohvato Member Posts: 8
    Don't be fool by the regional price difference. They all get their MDX from the 1 and only place in Canada. Stick with your number, plus Chrysler went under. This kind of economy not many people are buying + $40K car. Wait until the second quarter about to be over, you will get a good deal.
  • kukarkukar Member Posts: 3
    What prices are folks paying for the 2009 Sport fully-loaded (with tech and entertainment). I am trying to decide if $43k plus tax and license is a good deal.

Thanks
  • thinksnowthinksnow Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know how much leeway a dealer has on the financing deals? Honda is offering 2.9% for up to 3yrs. Can the dealer make it 2.9% for 4 years?

Also how much leeway do they have on options? I am getting some "we don't set prices on options" which I simply don't believe.

Thanks

TS
  • trez67trez67 Member Posts: 2
    I leased the Acura MDX Tech yesterday.

I added the Roof rails ($351.70) and Chrome Side Steps ($785.40). These 2 items total $1137.10.

The monthly lease amount went up $29.02 per month for 36 months. 36 x 29.02 = $1044.72.

The residual value of on the vehicle is 48.2%.

I am not sure how residual value effects these extras. Am I overpaying for these 2 accessories?
    Thanks.
  • lyonseelyonsee Member Posts: 11
    I've been in the market for a MDX for the last few weeks and negotiated with multiple dealers. Currently, in my opinion, $6K off MSRP is a market value purchase, $7K off MSRP is a deal. Between $6K and $7K off can be considered as acceptable price.
  • jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    By expanding your buy base and working hard, you got a great deal. The good deals rarely find their way to you. You have find your way to them. Congrats.
  • frankf2frankf2 Member Posts: 17
    We are still looking for grp buying MDX '09 in Boston area. please leave your contact information so we can connected. Currently still trying to contact with some decent dealers for the latest price updating.
    Agree! How worse the car manufacture overall hasn't totally showing up yet. Chrysler is just one conner of that huge melting ice mountain. Plus oil price is climbing up again. Just like burning oil fire under that ice mountain. What they can expected for us! especially the cars with poor mpg.
  • methane802methane802 Member Posts: 11
    great! I can be contacted via email to: xingchen@gmail.com
    let me know if anything comes up.
    went down to two dealerships today. They both offered $39,500 (destination included) for MDX Tech pack. the dealers were firm on the price, which I think should be at least $500~1000 lower, given people are getting around $40,000 on Tech + Ent.

Any thoughts?
    Hi For those who are confident and brave enough to walk into car buying market now, just sharing some latest news with you, so you know what you should expect and which position you are standing.

News from America Business Research Institute - Car Data Company: "Car sells in the states drop 34% in April comparing with the same month last year, the amount close to 30 years low. Toyota drops 42% and Honda drops 38%. Chrysler is down, GM will be the next for its fate in June 1st".
    what does this mean for buyers?
    I agree with some previous email said when sells goes down, manufacture can cut production too to keep the price, and buyer will be crazy for less car they want in dealer's lot, so the price will stand still. But this kind strategy only works when the number down from 10 or 20%. If the sells went down 40 to 50%, manufacture can't afford the cost increase from its chain suppliers for those parts. The labor and material cost shouldn't be the same to produce 60 cars than 100 cars. There are two ways for manufactures to get out. One is to shrink its production, then it shrinks its cash flow, loses its supplier and sells market shares for its competitors. This looks like a suicide mission at current situation. Are they ready to follow Chrysler? The other way is to keep a low profile, cuts costs inside and outside include dealers, and benefits its loyal customers more to keep the whole machine running and wait for next high tide market with some new techniques. I believe this is the only smart way to keep everybody survive and win at last.
    so, basically you are saying it's easier time for buyers to cut the deal now. however, my experience today really pissed me off. The sales manager did not want to take my final offer $39,200 against his offer of $39,500. I don't really care $300 over a 40K car. Just made me feel stupid and walk away.
  • maxzoey1maxzoey1 Member Posts: 34
    Hard to believe Acura's arrogance when it comes to dealing. Their sales on the MDX are down 48% year to date in 2009. I am a loyal Acura customer since 1999, but maybe it's time to look at Lexus for myself.
    There will likely be no fire sale on acuras. They can appear to be stubborn for the simple reason that the dealerships are getting big time support from the manufacturer. And the support is probably conditional on minimal sales. They will wait this out for 6-18 months no matter how bad sales are. If you want a car, the deals are reasonable but if you don't --"have a nice day"
  • jyao888jyao888 Member Posts: 32
    Same here, I offered to two dealers for my target price two weeks ago.
    They all refused and said good luck (the prices were $1200 more than my offered) . I talked to them again last week we were closer than $400 apart. Yes, it's really smaller amout for MSRP close to 50K car. But it's really feel bad that dealers still have such higher position. We understood we should know their cost to run their business but it's really the time for both sides to settle down a reasonable package and fit royal customers' price demand individually. Finally, it's the timing game for customers to play your time goal to proceed. It doesn't sound like any risk for increasing price in the near future. Edmund is still predit price drop and new 2010 is coming soon...I just can't see why they still hold the car which couldn't sell for more than 6 months and let ready customer walk away for $ 300 ??
    Guys, just for your information. I went though the purchase with Acura of Boston on MDX Tech Pack. The price is $39,500 (including Destination). It looks like it's really difficult to get better deal for now in Boston area. At least for me. I am tired of negotiation.

It seems that the stock is short for now. We have to wait for two weeks to get our wanted color. Acura of Boston said they do not need to go any lower of the price due to the short stock.

good luck everyone!
  • pragypragy Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know the what the incentives would be for May2009.
  • polarsandpolarsand Member Posts: 23
    I was with you until you hit me with
    " loses its supplier and sells market shares for its competitors". that was funny. as if competition are not in the same boat.
  • martin061680martin061680 Member Posts: 7
    Sales are down. Dealers want to make a little profit on each unit, since they are not selling that many of them. I just got my MDX at Invoice back in March. If $300 is stopping from buying a $40K car - don't buy it! You can't afford it!
  • hewittphewittp Member Posts: 14
    I just received an email from an internet sales guy that I have corresponded with before that new finance rate starts at 2.9% (didn't specify if it's for 36 mo or other terms)
  • niners_buffsniners_buffs Member Posts: 3
    How's it going everyone, newbie here. I'm in the market for a Sport or Sport + Entertainment and just received an offer for the latter of $45K including d&h with clear mask, all weather mats, side moldings and cargo tray installed. I haven't even talked to them yet, but wanted to get your opinions on the price and how much room I have to negotiate down. It looks like that is right at the invoice price.

He also mentioned that I could get the 3.9% financing even though I thought that had expired.

Thanks
    you should be able to at least knock down another $2000, which is the 'marketing support' incentive.
    Finance rates are always the same btn 3/31 and 7/6. You could ck Acura.com.
    Dealer participate may varies.
  • polarsandpolarsand Member Posts: 23
    Only at invoice? I got mine at $2k below invoice last day in Feb. and that included destination. I thought back then you could negotiate at invoice plus add the $2k dealer rebate.
    Fewer vehicles available today vs late Feb. may mean dealers are less inclined to deal.
    Thanks, that helps a ton. I'm not completely convinced I want to pay the premium for a new car, but with the lower financing and the stimulus tax write-off its starting to look better. How would the better negotiators out there go after a lower price? Should I tell them I will pay $42K and be willing to walk away?
    dealer cost on an 09 mdx sport w/e = 45k. Don't know what factory support is but your price is 3k under. Hope you get it. Finance for 5 years would be about 800 per month.
  • motophilemotophile Member Posts: 2
    Save your money folks -- lot better stuff out there for the money. Have owned this for little over a year. Maintenance costs are VERY high. Differential fluid changes every 12,500 miles - not kidding. Its based on the service code. Dealers are all old school and in terrible condition. Have been to 3 different ones and they're all unprofessional -- and crooks to boot!

Today I took the MDX in and apparently the brakes went out at 25000 miles. Fog/DTL light cover had melted from heat and they told me the exhaust from someone backing up real close must have done it -- unbelievable!

Acura customer service is just as bad. I have a Lexus too -- the service experience and reliability is in a whole different league.

Honda tried to build a "luxury" brand -- they have failed miserably. Acuras are nothing but Hondas with the same poor dealership service but with higher maintenance cost!
  • motophilemotophile Member Posts: 2
    Save your money folks -- lot better stuff out there for the money. Have owned this for little over a year. Maintenance costs are VERY high. Differential fluid changes every 12,500 miles - not kidding. Its based on the service code. Dealers are all old school and in terrible condition. Have been to 3 different ones and they're all unprofessional -- and crooks to boot!

Today I took the MDX in and apparently the brakes went out at 25000 miles. Fog/DTL light cover had melted from heat and they told me the exhaust from someone backing up real close must have done it -- unbelievable!

Acura customer service is just as bad. I have a Lexus too -- the service experience and reliability is in a whole different league.

Honda tried to build a "luxury" brand -- they have failed miserably. Acuras are nothing but Hondas with the same poor dealership service but with higher maintenance cost!
  • gco13gco13 Member Posts: 23
    the best tip I got was to go to consumer reports and buy their new car buying guide. It's like $12 or $14. It will give the the exact breakdown of what the dealer pays for the car so that you start negotiating at the rock bottom and work your way up instead of starting at msrp or invoice and trying to work your way down. The report tells you exactly how to negotiate your new car. Honestly, just walking in with the report and if you read back over the past few months on this forum, you will know your stuff. That alone is enough to get the best price you can get. Dealers are ready to sell cars. If they know that you know your stuff and have done your homework they are not going to screw around with you. Take your time and talk to several dealers over the course of a couple weeks and you'll get a great price.
    Thanks for the heads up on the rear diff rip. You might want to do a local search for an independent garage with trained techs and a great reputation. Check their prices and keep reciepts. Your warranty will still be intact. For instance--there is a shop near me that does grat work on mercedes benz and other imports. The owner is meticulous and uses only original parts and oils and does ALL the work specified for schedule 1 & 2 maintenance. He charges 75 and 175 respectfully. MB charges 3-4 times as much. Any warranty work goes back to the dealer until it expires. Check around.
  • readyformyrlreadyformyrl Member Posts: 70
    What is the quickest and best method everyone has used to get competitive quotes from dealers in multiple states in addition to Edmunds? Have you called the internet dept of various dealers directly or just faxed requests to the internet dept directly..all responses and ideas appreciated...
  • bombaybombay Member Posts: 5
    Did you issue your ultimatum with the 42K number? And did they come back to you with a better offer? I am getting offers similar to yours at this time in NoVA.
    I'm going to go check out the cars tomorrow and talk to them so I'll let you know. I'm not sure how I'm going to approach it yet, but ultimately I don't need a new car right now so I'm fine walking away if they aren't willing to deal. Let me know how your negotiations go. Oh, and I'm in CO.
  • mdx09mdx09 Member Posts: 2
    I bought a MDX base model today from Los Gatos Acura. $35300+ tax & title at 3.9% APR for 60 months.Had a smooth deal with the sales agent. There was no pressure to buy any extra maintenance options or accessories. The prices were set before I walked in and hence it hardly took 1.5 hours for me to take the car back home. Highly recommend this place as well as the sales manager whom I dealt with.
  • alan39alan39 Member Posts: 3
    I want to buy a new MDX in the Hoboken area.

Any suggestions on a dealer?
    I haven't finalize my purchase yet, but the following dealers are the best comprable prices:
    Open Road Acura, Wayne
    Ramsey Acura
    Springfield Acura on Rt.22