Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    I am not sold that the economy has recovered. Therefore,sales of $40k SUVs could be slow. No guarantees, so we'll just have to see how it plays out.

I have the luxury that I don't "need" a new car. I would "like" to have one by December, so I will wait patiently for a good deal (new or used).
  • dnb1dnb1 Member Posts: 5
    I am in the process of negotiating a lease on an MDX tech only. Here are my 2 offers in ther northern NJ area...

OFFER 1:
    Cash down $ 1179
    Purchase price: 42,985
    monthly pmt: 662

OFFER 2:
    cash down $2075
    purchase price: 43,700
    monthly pmt: 640.

How does this make any sense? I've always read negotiate purchase price, but the one with the lower purchase price is the higher monthly pmt. I am assuming that offer 1 is rolling some of the upfront costs into the lease payment. That is the only thing that is logical. Any insights out there? Which is the better offer or are they essentially the same?
  • mike_charlottemike_charlotte Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2010
    I'm assuming this is for 36 months lease. If you add up the numbers then they are almost the same. Option 1 = $25,011 and Option 2 = $25,115. I would go with the lowest down payment.

MDX Tech was the best choice I made based on resell value and all other upgrades you get with it.

Good Luck!
  • kss17kss17 Member Posts: 5
    If you don't mind can you tell me the dealership you purchased the mdx base from in Northern Virginia ? I am in North Carolina and most of the dealers dont seem to have much inventory and aren't negotiating a lot. I can probably drive up to virginia/dc area if i get a good deal. Thanks
  • mbk3mbk3 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    just purchased a 2010mdx with tech for 43,900. now after reading this site, i am annoyed that i paid too much. Local dealers were not willing to go any lower, walked out on them and still got no where. Still wondering if i should have held out to get closer to the invoice price? difficulty finding color i wanted. phila area
  • brian30brian30 Member Posts: 11
    A dealer in Dallas told me the invoice on the MDX was increased $400 in February putting a Tech invoice including destination at $43,319. Have others heard this?
  • rdxerrdxer Member Posts: 38
    Radley in Falls Church (ask for John). This is our third Acura from them and the deal has been very smooth. We did almost everything over the phone. The $38991 is for this month only on in stock units only (they had a really, really bad February).
  • isriisri Member Posts: 1
    KSS17

I am trying to buy MDX With Technology Package and Entertainment Packages. Which one your trying to buy? Please let me know, Which model you got for $38991? I would like to know more on this.
  • matth2matth2 Member Posts: 12
    For dealer holdback, is it taken off final price, MSRP or invoice? I believe acura/honda holdback is 3%. Seems like most are getting decent deals lately. I'm shooting for 500-700 over invoice. Is this reasonable?
    care to share what you paid and where? I like this model too.
  • rdxerrdxer Member Posts: 38
    It's 3% of MSRP. From my earlier post, you'll see I got about $600 below invoice (on a base). I guess it depends where you are and how competitive it is among dealers. Here in Northern Virginia, dealers have had a crappy month (due to weather) and the two dealers here always seem to slug it out over prices (to our benefit).
  • Adam BoydAdam Boyd Member Posts: 23
    What dealership? I went to DCH Montclair Acura for mine and they were great and also, I might mention, beat everyone's price -- hopefully that's where you're shopping at.
  • frizzledizzlefrizzledizzle Member Posts: 5
    After weeks of back and forth, just got the offer for a 2010 tech and entertain at 44,400 excluding Tax, tags and dealer processing fee with 4 years of oil change service but only valid til end of Feb. Seems to be as low as I can get them - I agree that Feb has been bad for them here in VA and they seem ready to deal. Only catch is it must be one currently on the lot - which is not much of an issue as they have one of pretty much any color. About 10 or so on the lot at the moment. No accessories included.

Thoughts? How would you rate this offer?
  • carguy75carguy75 Member Posts: 6
    43900 really isnt overpaying, you probably could of saved 1000 or so which is only about 2% on a 47000 car.
    I paid $43,219 plus Tax, tags and dealer processing fee for just Tech with no oil changes. I think you are getting very good deal. Oil change option worth about $1000. Let's say if you drive 15,000 per year and oil change cost about $50. You will need 5 oil changes per year and total cost for 4 year is $1000. Now if you drive less then 15,000 miles then it will cost less for dealer. Any way I would take the offer.
  • glockfanglockfan Member Posts: 30
    $43219 is a good price for a Tech.
    Can you provide me with the dealer's info?
    I am looking to buy this weekend.
    Also, anyone have any luck negotiating the "doc fee"?
  • flight_docflight_doc Member Posts: 2
    Regional Northwest dealers are all claiming $43,068 for "True Invoice" after dealer prep. Then most add the "NW Package" with all season floor mats, tri cargo liner, wheel locks, and invisible door edge guard. This takes the invoice plus add on price up to $43.7-43.8K as a starting point for dealing. This seems higher than most other posts I have read. I wanted to pay $43.3K but no one is dealing and all claim only the dealer owners see the holdback, so sales staff won't even take that into account in reducing the price. Does anyone know what a reasonable NW regional price would be for MDX w/Tech? I am ready to buy this weekend if the price is right. Thanks
    Check out my post #9579

Performance Acura in Chapel Hill...ask for Phil.
  • josheeljosheel Member Posts: 73
    What should I be paying? Seems like I'm always overpaying when I check in here. Thanks. Is it worth the money for the advance pkg.?
  • jvettejvette Member Posts: 70
    First you shouldn't care what the salesman says or quotes you for the price. Do your homework and only buy what you want.

With that said the offer should be $42,819 on the MDX with Tech and tell them that offer does not include the overpriced extras because you don't want them. Give them your phone number and tell them if they want to sell it before they close business for the end of the month to just give you a call. If the salesman doesn't seem interested fax a copy of your offer to the sales manager. It's end of month quota time. You can then expect to add doc fee and lic and reg. to that price plus sales tax. The dealer is still making a good chunk of money at this price and would be a fool to turn you down unless they only have a couple in stock and have a bunch of people looking for them.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    Acura has maintinence minder system...it tells you when to change what.
    In my 2008 Acura after 12000 miles/18 months I have changed oil only twice
    Cost $70.00 per oil change
  • seesharp4meseesharp4me Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    The prices that I see here are much lower than what I am getting qouted from local Acura dealers. I get the impression by the attitude and prices of the dealers that the MDX is flying out the door.

I am being qouted:

$47,444 (Tech / Entertainment)
    $44,488 (Tech)

I am about to look out of state to see if I can get a price remotely close to what others seem to be paying. Anyone else from Colorado here looking at an MDX? If so, what are the prices that you are being qouted?
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    I hope your getting more than just an oil change for $70. That's the most expensive oil change I've ever heard of.
    That's a pretty steep price. You should be able to buy it for $43,000 plus fees. Of course you live in Colorado. They think things are worth more there.

I wouldn't buy at that price on a Tech.
  • seesharp4meseesharp4me Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2010
    Thanks for the feedback. You are right about Colorado. I think I'm going to increase my search out of state.
  • magicscottmagicscott Member Posts: 2
    In Maryland, at Criswell Acura I purchased an 2010 MDX with tech pkg for $42,250. Of course they wanted to sell it for much higher. Just realize you are in control, here is how I did it: After much research I knew what price I wanted (close to) so I wrote down my offer on paper ($41,750). After my great saleman showed me his low price ($44,990), I said thanks and pulled out my paper and told him this was my offer and take it to your boss (politely). The boss gave another price so we were approx. $1500 apart. I bumped my offer up $500 bucks and politely asked him to have some courage and take it back to his boss. He did and the boss declined my offer--so I told the salesman thank you and began to walk out the door. The salesman was surprised--and said hold on, his boss wanted to meet with me. So I met the boss and gave him some courtious small talk about the poor economy, and how I can't believe he is letting me walk when we are $1000 bucks apart from a deal. He changed the numbers again, I politely stuck to my price, and told them thanks again and walked. Before I pushed the door open, they agreed to my price! Good luck and be prepared to walk to another dealer for your price. There are plenty of MDX's sitting on dealer lots here in the Washington DC area.
  • autksautks Member Posts: 2
    magicscott -- that sounds like a very good price. Did it include everything but tax and tags? I'm leaning more towards a tech model now too, I like the looks of the dash more with the extra goodies.

This car seems perfect for our needs, the only issue we might have is getting it in and out of a standard 8ft wide garage! Mirror to mirror it measure 89", and with a garage door opening of about 95", this seems very tight, especially backing up. Anyone out there have any issues with this?

We plan to get the side moulding trim, roof rack and crossbars, and the cargo box. Dealer told us to not buy the rooftop cargo box from him, that Thule makes the Acura boxes, and they are much cheaper on the web. Hopefully good info!

Thanks.
  • flight_docflight_doc Member Posts: 2
    MagicScott- I wish my experience had gone that way. I have tried negotiating with Appleway Acura in Spokane, WA twice now. The first time I had set a max of $43.3K and walked without so much as a "Wait a minute" from the sales manager. The second attempt (today) I offered them $43,850 as my max price and they declined. Interestingly, they never made me a counter offer. The sales manager (this is the second I have talked too) said he would be fired for taking my offer (even though it was $500 over their "true cost"). My salesman hinted that if I came back at $44,440 (this is price plus all season mats, tri-fold cargo liner, and wheel locks) he thought they would bite. I just am not willing to pay that, especially when I see what others around the country are paying. Thanks for the advice. Enjoy your MDX!
    WOW, you did get a good price. True invoice is about $42,900. With the price you got you dipped into the holdback. Great job. I have found that the best time to make a offer with a Acura dealer is the end of the month. They need to sell cars to get their incentives. Most I have had dealings with would always decline my offers until the last couple of days of the month then they got aggressive.
  • magicscottmagicscott Member Posts: 2
    The price did not include Tag or Title. It did include the "so called destination cost" of $810.00. My negotiation begin at invoice cost and I try to work my way down from there! Again, research the numbers in your area of the country, man-up, and be polite yet stay firm (stay in control) in the dealership. Always be prepared to walk or shop to find the price you are comfortable with. Can't say enough about how the person holding the money has the power (you the consumer)--they want your money badly in this down economy.

The MDX was the choice for us with competition against the ML 350, GL320 and 450 (used), XC90, and the BMW 535Xi wagon. Reviews on the MDX were very high and the maintenance cost was very reasonable especially when compared to our Audi. We were replacing a 2004 Audi allroad wagon as the family hauler.

Hope this helps
    How much negotiating room is there with accessories? I would assume there's more profit in these items than the car itself, yes? Let me know what you paid for advanced running boards, rails (and cross bars), and all weather mats (including trifold rear mat).
  • jeff2010jeff2010 Member Posts: 6
    Keyes isn't really closing - just changing owners. They sold the franchise to the owners of the Mercedes dealership down the road. Much of the staff will stay the same.

Here is an out the door price on 2010 MDX tech/ent from them: 45331

A little cheaper than most of the other quotes I got from LA area dealers, but they are a pain to deal with - always trying to put extras on the bill.
  • noscreennamenoscreenname Member Posts: 7
    Maybe it's just me but it seems like Acura dealerships are some of the biggest scam artists around. I keep reading post after post about how hard it is to negotiate them down off of the sticker price. Makes me not want to even step foot on an Acura lot. I hope I am wrong though...
    If you like the MDX then do the negotiation over the phone or email. That’s what I did.
  • noscreennamenoscreenname Member Posts: 7
    How can you hold them to what they quote you over the phone? For instance, if a dealership that is over 100 miles away quotes me the best price over the phone and I drive all the way out there, what could keep them from trying to get more out of me and/or bait and switch? I only ask because that happened to me a few years ago...
  • familycar5familycar5 Member Posts: 12
    How do you find out if they have an "internet salesperson" so negotiaions can be done over e-mail? I went onto our local Acura dealer's website, and the have an e-mail contact for someone in "sales" and another e-mail contact for "Customer Relations." Which person would I e-mail to start the negotiations?

Also, I want to do a test drive, but I don't want them to try to get me to negotiate at the dealership. How do I avoid that from happening? Do I let them take down my name while I'm there for the test drive? I figure they'll remember me if I go in for a test drive and then a few days later start e-mail negotiations. I wonder if having met them first will affect the deal I get or not??
  • jeff2010jeff2010 Member Posts: 6
    Edmunds has a quote service - you can select a few dealerships and they will send you back quotes on the cars. Responsiveness varies from dealer to dealer, but I've had pretty good luck in getting at least initial offers from a number of dealers, which let me compare. The more quotes you get, the better.

Personally, I'd do a test drive at a dealer I wasn't interested in - perhaps the one that gives you the worst quote - I'm sure dealers hate that, but it isn't like they always treat their customers fairly, either. Whether test driving and then emailing would affect the quote you got probably varies from dealer to dealer.

Nothing stops them from trying to change the deal when you get there, although having a printed email with a specific number helps - then I'd just watch for "extras" like protection packages and the like (just say no) getting added to the bill. To be fair, some dealers are worse than others - the TL leasing experience I had in 2007 (at Metro Acura, for anyone in the Los Angeles area) was great - all the terms worked out over email and on the phone, no funny stuff when I came to get the car, no upselling. Still the most painless experience I've had buying/leasing a new car. I've also had the opposite experience at other dealers, where the bait and switch was in full effect. My best piece of advice: if you think you have a deal, and then they change it when you get there, walk out.
  • tastycakes55tastycakes55 Member Posts: 35
    I dealt with them as well - they must have some arrangement with corporate where they will take any extra inventory other dealers won't, sight unseen, in exchange for better pricing.

I first started talking to them about buying a tech mdx in april 09 - they were offering around 38.5k OTD at the time. Ended up waiting and buying a base closer to my home this past fall, but even then, they were willing to sell a base MDX for 34.3 + ttl without much negotiation. And it was the same story for Pohanka.
    I don't understand being intimidated by a dealer of any brand. Granted Acura can be a little harder to deal with at times but all dealers are trying to get the most money for the product to make a profit. Just do your homework and know the invoice price and decide what you won't go over. Be fair and polite and treat them the way you want to be treated.

I have found most dealers will sell at invoice. I give them my price after my research on the web and then if they say no I tell them that's my final offer and if they want to sell the car to give me a call. I am always ready to buy when I contact them. I never purchase extras during my negotiations on the car. I wait until after I take delivery and then ask how much the stuff I want will be. I then leave and check on the internet to make sure its a good price.
    I guess all dealers are different. The one I worked with is in Chapel Hill, NC (Performance Acura) and they were honest about everything. Price we agreed which was out to door so I did not have any surprises other then they offered protection plan and extended warranty which I declined since it was out my budget. You should ask the sales person exactely what model and color you want and make sure they have it in stock before you go.
    Has anyone purchased in Texas recently? I am looking for a Tech and best deal I have been quoted is $44,318 +ttl. This includes the $300 local advertising and along with "throw ins" of tinting, wheel locks and nitrogen for tires...whoopee.
  • 99sub99sub Member Posts: 11
    I tried to get MDX with Advance Pkg in Houston. The lowest they quoted me was $49995. At that point, I walked and told them that I was more like $48000. Now, it didn't take long to get to that amount, so they might go lower. They didn't have the car on the lot so I didn't feel it in my best interest to try and get them to go lower without them having it ready to go.
    edited March 2010
    Thanks. Where did you buy from and when? Who can I talk to? Edmunds shows the invoice for Advance including destination, but without marketing as $48,314. If before the January invoice increase it would still be $47,914. $48,000 sounds like a great deal.
  • 99sub99sub Member Posts: 11
    I didn't buy. Since they didn't have the car and was only "hoping" to get it in, I just walked. There last price was 49995, I didn't get them to 48K. The true cost of the car is around 46500 (that includes their mfg holdbacks) so I figure if I offer 48000 that's a profit of around 1500. I don't know that they will acutually take that price but I will wait and see until they have the car on the lot. As far a tech pkg. their true cost is around $41200 and I probably wouldn't offer much more than 42,800. Good luck.
  • kss17kss17 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2010
    I bought a mdx last week with Tech package for 43000 + ttl (quote - 43K includes the destination charge) from performance acura in chapel hill. I had a particular trim/color in mind and they had that in stock at the end of month (February). That probably helped in the negotiation. Most of the other dealers around the area don't seem to have many mdx in stock.
    Congratulations! I got mine from them too...which color did you get? Did you buy any accessory?
  • newbiecarnewbiecar Member Posts: 5
    I"m looking to LEASE a 2010 MDX with the Tech & Entertainment package.

I was offered:

36 month lease, 10k / yr.
    $2,000 down
    $719 per month

Is this a good deal? Anyone else lease this car with these specs recently?
    Wow, I don't know if I would pay that much for a lease on a MDX. What's your cap cost or how much are you paying for the MDX? It's impossible to tell if it's a good deal with out some numbers. What is the money factor? If you figure a lease with purchasing at invoice and Honda's best interest rate the payment would be 628.07 plus sales tax.
    The out of pocket would be first month payment, lic and doc fee. I would guess those to be $1165.00. Seems you are paying a little more than you should.
  • newbiecarnewbiecar Member Posts: 5
    i'm a real newbie, so bear with me.
    I keep reading about cap costs and money factors......so my question is why would the cap cost be different on mdx's assuming they are the same year, same car specs (just different location in the USA).

I guess what i'm trying to say is: doesn't acura make the car for "X " amount of dollars and then ship it all over the place. If my dealer says this car sells for $45,000 and your dealer says this car sells for $50,000....it's it all bull? they get it for price "X" from acura and then they make their own market. right?

why can someone in Detroit lease this car for $650 per month and i lease it for $700 per month ? it's the same car, just a different location in the USA.
    edited March 2010
    Cap Cost is the the price YOU negotiate with the dealer. The sticker price is the suggested retail price from the manufacture. You start your negotiations from the sticker price or the invoice price. You can find the dealer cost on this web site or many other sites on the internet. Then it is up to you to get the price you think is a good price. Some people are better negotiators than others. Every dealer pays the same price for the car with some areas getting incentives for slow moving cars for their area. The MDX is a pretty sought after car at this time but you can still purchase it at invoice.

The money factor in a lease is the interest rate being charged on the money. The rate through the end of February was a money factor of .00145 or .00145 x 2400 = 3.48% for Honda/Acura preferred rate. This money factor is very important in the price of a lease payment. Then the residual value is the next thing you need to know on a lease. I think the current Residual on the Tech Entertainment is 54% but I could be wrong on this by about a point. So you take the sticker price of $48,615 X .54 = $26252.10 the value they say the car will be worth at the end of the lease. So lets put this deal together.

Sticker Price $48,615.00 Your offer $44,541 plus $595 Honda lease fee = $45,136

Your offer $44,541.00
    Honda lease fee $ 595.00

Total $45,136.00
    Residual - $26,252.10

Difference $18,883.90 Divided by 36 months = $524.55

Sticker Price $48,615.00
    Residual + $26,252.10

Total $72,877.10 X Money Factor .00145 = $105.67

Add Your amount of depreciation to the money factor and you get your before tax payment of $630.22. before sales tax.

New Jersey sales tax. is 6% based on the depreciation amount so that would be
    6.0 X $18,883.90 = $1,133.03 divided by 36 = $31.47 per month

So your payment would be $661.69 with no additional money out of pocket except for first months payment, Lic and Reg and any Document fee. My guess would be that the most you should pay at leae signing for this payment would be $1000.00.

So your deal looks a little strong at the payment and amount down at lease signing.