Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Acura MDX Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• raswattraswatt Member Posts: 3
    edited May 2010
    I am in the market for a 2010 MDX Tech/Ent in the Dallas, TX area. I visited a dealership over the weekend that did not have any Black Tech/Ent in stock and tried to sell me a Advance with Tech/Ent. They salesman and sales manager were not eager to find me what I wanted and even suggested buying an aftermarket entertainment for a Tech model. It's been a while since I last purchased a vehicle, but when I bought my Lexus RX the salesman found it at another dealership without hesitation. The Advance Tech/Ent was very nice. They offered it for $51,500 plus TTL and I would have had to pay another $1K for the roof rails, body side moldings, wheel locks and front window tint. I ended up leaving and rejecting the offer because ultimately I do not want to pay the extra for the Advance. The salesman said that most dealerships do not get many Tech/Ent MDXs in, but I felt like they were just trying to make a sale. I have been looking at this forum for several months and it seems I should be able to get what I want for around $45,000-$47,000. Does this sound about right for the Tech/Ent or should I really consider the Advance they have on the lot? If I buy at a dealership in another part of the state and bring it back to Dallas, do I still get the loaner vehicles and other service perks for scheduled service? I think from now on, I am going to do my dealing over the internet or phone because the pressure at the dealer was brutal! :confuse:
  • minihopefulminihopeful Member Posts: 14
    Raswatt, I recently purchased a Tech/Ent for $44,986 + TTL at Champion Acura in Houston, and they also threw in the window tint and the wheel locks. I don't know if the price quotes have gotten better since, but I do know the APR has (1.9%). When I was shopping for it, the Tech/Ent selection was quite limited for the polished metal metallic (medium gray) and tuscan pearl (white) colors, though palladium metallic (silver) was a plenty.
    Thanks minihopeful! I think you are correct about the 1.9% possibly having an impact on the negotiating. Was the $850 destination fee and document fee included in your price?There is another dealership in the Dallas area that has a Crystal Black Pearl Ent/Tech with Taupe Interior in stock and I am going to send them an email offer and see what happens. If things do not work out in Dallas, then I may contact Champion. I did get a call from the salesman I worked with over the weekend, but he just wanted to reiterate the offer he made on Saturday so I am not interested in working with them since they are intent on selling me what they have on the lot.
  • minihopefulminihopeful Member Posts: 14
    The destination charge was included in that price, but not the doc fee ($200). I probably could've negotiated more on the doc fee, but the deal was already $1,000 better than any other offer I got from the Houston area dealers. Wish I would've waited for the 1.9 APR, but oh well, hindsight.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    After e-mailing several dealerships I found one willing to order me a new 2010 Advance at Invoice (no dealer fees) but I decided to wait for an incentive or $600 under invoice. Anybody paying more than invoice needs to shop harder and be persistent. I verified that those Northern Virginia dealerships are selling at slightly under invoice ( some can get more than $1,000 below invoice) if they have to order the MDX for you.

So, be careful out there and hold the line at or near invoice.
  • sandalsockssandalsocks Member Posts: 1
    valueguy, what area are you shopping in? we're looking to buy either a base model or tech only....seems like folks are getting closer to invoice these days. how many dealers did you email. we're trying to figure out how to approach this.
  • skammaskamma Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2010
    I am from Atlanta, GA. Any help will be appreciated. I quoted MDX w/Advance and Rear Entertainment for $48,000 + TTL at Atlanta. Following responce i got. Is it true??

"Thanks for the response. I did some research on the different programs for regions, and I found that there can be thousands of dollars in total price difference state to state! Unfortunately Acura financial will apply whatever incentives based on what state your driver’s license is issued from, in the past we have had buyers from GA who wanted to go to TN or AL to get more incentives. So even if you drove up to PA where that forum said they sell the MDX for that price, you still might have to pay the same price as we sell it for here in GA. The biggest factor here is that the information you have is on a forum where people could post anything they want without proving it. If they said you could buy a new MDX for $1,000 would you believe it? I would use credible sites like Edmunds.com, Kelley blue book.com, or other places that have nothing to gain by spreading false information.
    We would love to have you as a customer, but I’m sure you understand that we are a business and it makes no sense to lose over $3,000 on a transaction.
  • valueguyvalueguy Member Posts: 208
    Well, What if you pay cash? Why do you need a driver's license to BUY a car? You only need one to drive a car. There are Regional incentives but I never heard that a person couldn't travel to that region in order to get them. Most likely, the Northern VA dealers have VOLUME incentives going on right now.

Most dealerships can't sell an MDX for much less than invoice (maybe a few hundred under invoice); but, all can sell you at Invoice with no dealer fees.
    I just did some email negotiating and got the Tech/Ent in the colors I want and dealer agreed to $45,500 plus TTL with wheel locks and window tint. I feel pretty good about this deal and just hope there are no surprises when I go in tomorrow. Thanks for all of your help.
  • svofan2svofan2 Member Posts: 442
    edited May 2010
    oh boy was this dealer slick or what?....The "dealer incentives" part is true, it goes by region or states but if you want to nuy a vehicle in PA and there is an agreement between the buyer and seller (dealer) on a price, that will be it!!!!! ..the rest is nonsense...a dealer will sell to the devil if he needs to in order to do business and Acura and dealer couldn't care less where you come from...I ahve neighbors here in NJ that have purchased cars in MD because that is where the best deal was given at he time....what goes on between Acura and the dealers in reference to incentives is their business not ours as consumers.
    That dealer took the truth and twisted it "slightly"...the incentives that he was refering to was those that Acura offer to the buyers and yes those go by state, but I wonder if they (Acura or dealer) will renege on it if the buyer is out of state.hoping ...uhmmm....host?...
    Mind you,all I said before is based on my expiriences buying cars for 30 years...yes I am old...lol , if some one knows different please shine in...
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,181
    I have to agree.. unless it is a special lease or finance rate that's only offered to residents of certain states, then the price quoted from another state should be just as good for you..

Plus, who is going to take a trip, without the deal being done on paper, anyway?

Of course, if you are only using a price from a thousand miles away as leverage with a local dealer... they aren't likely to be too impressed... 99.9% of people won't buy a car out of their local area.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aberabeeaberabee Member Posts: 2
    well, some of what this guy says is true. for example, I live in FL and heard through one of my old contacts that Acura was offering 1.9% APR for 60 months, but none of my local dealerships said this program was available. I drove all the way to SC just to find out that different regions have different programs, and since I was a resident of FL I had to use the programs designated to my region. They actually were nice enough to show me the internal sheets they got from headquarters outlining the different programs available to each state.
    Absolutly, that is exactly what we were saying, except that he (the dealer) put a little bit of twist in his statements to the prospective buyer...again the host was correct when he/she made a statement in reference to the financing offer..but the incentives directly from Acura to the dealer that affects the vehicle pricing is available to all....
  • frictiontapefrictiontape Member Posts: 8
    DCH Heart Acura in NY is offering base model MDX for $39,997 as their "internet sales price." That seems like a pretty good offer...thougths?
  • helpwithcarshelpwithcars Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to buy a 2010 MDX with Tech within the week. The lowest price quoted so far was $41,998. This does not include destination ($800), processing ($90.00) or TT&L. So this deal would really cost close to $42,800 before TT&L. Is this a good deal? I've been on the phone with Pohanka in NO. VA. and haven't heard back. The quoted price came from Rosenthal in Md. Should I try to get them lower? Thanks for any help.
  • skammaskamma Member Posts: 2
    Carlva , Thanks for your message.I sent couple of E-mails and called couple times left message. No response and terminated call once I said that I am from Atlanta. Very Rude.. May be Pohanka don;t want to sell to Out Of state.
  • vsk1vsk1 Member Posts: 5
    HI

Today I got quote for MDX base for $40,500+$ 289(Doc fees)+TTL. They are ready to up to invoice price.

Does any one have a better offer in Boston area?

I was looking for Polished Metalic with Ebony interior and I couldn't get any in Boston area.

One more last question, Does any of you know when the 2011 MDX will be available? Is it better to wait for 2011?

Thank you
  • blkcarblkcar Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to get '10 adv + ent. How much is a lifetime drivetrain warranty worth (I'm buying, not leasing)? This dealer has given the best quote in the area which includes this warranty.

Let me know what you guys think.
  • islandtractorislandtractor Member Posts: 14
    I never heard of a "lifetime" drivetrain warranty, certainly not from Acura. There is an 8yr/120K mile full warranty from Acura available for about $2500.
  • hummiebirdshummiebirds Member Posts: 4
    The 2010 Acura MDX comes with an included 7 year/[X] miles warranty on the drivetrain.
  • idagappidagapp Member Posts: 3
    I live in Idaho and the closest Acura dealer is 250 miles and 5 hours away - lots of mountains. Does anyone on here have experience with dealers in WA, OR, UT, or ID? I will be stuck with having a lot of travel and could really use some info on where, or where not, to start looking. Thnaks.
  • gallarogallaro Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a MDX Tech/Ent for $44k on Friday in the Chicago area. I went out to multiple dealers asking for a specific car and a few accessories once we had decided which options we wanted. Negotiated everything over email. The advice I received here was very helpful. Good luck!
  • jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    I learned two years ago when I purchased my 08 RL that emals sent o bout 8 SF Bay Area Acura dealers helped me get an RL with tech for 42K or about 17-8 % off the sticker. Good job and gallaro.

I love my RL and will probably purhase an MDX within the next year. And I wll do the same thing over again hopefully with similiar resuls.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
    HI

I got final quote for 2010 MDX tech for $42500+295 Doc fees+123 Plates+2671.88 MA tax =$45840.

Is it a good deal in MA?

Does any one in Boston area got a better deal?

Thank you
  • jiakunjiakun Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I got $43500 (Out Door Price) for MDX Base in TN. Is it good price or the dealer still have room down the price? Many thanks.
    ..that $42,500 is a great price....that is exactly what I hope I can find later in the year..like in October when my Sienna lease is over....enjoy it in the best of health..
  • beantown7beantown7 Member Posts: 3
    Hi I am in the market for a 2010 MDX adv with ent. Boston , MA area. What can i expect to pay from invoice? How mcuh can i expect to pay for add- ons such as trailer hitch, roof rack, etc? The invoice for those options are not listed on Edmunds or elsewher i could find
    Sorry - i posted this in the lease sections as well
    Thanks
    G
    Sorry, It was 42750+295+TTL = 45840.

Thank you.
  • koblixkoblix Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a MDX Tech/Ent for $44k on Friday in the Chicago area. I went out to multiple dealers asking for a specific car and a few accessories once we had decided which options we wanted. Negotiated everything over email. The advice I received here was very helpful. Good luck!

I received a same quote from a local dealer in the Bay Area
    I just used Edmund's price fo the loaded MDX 2010, with tech and adv and it lists for just over $ 53000. Taking 18 % off it rings in at $ 43460 wi/o tax ect. That was about where we started with my RL two years ago.

I believe someone mentioned that they have a hold back of about $ 2000 (or more). Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • is95a1is95a1 Member Posts: 7
    Gallaro, did that include destination?
  • pakman3000pakman3000 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in LA and I've also seen a lifetime drivetrain warranty advertised on a 2008 CPO MDX.
  • beantown7beantown7 Member Posts: 3
    Jensed, you paid 43 for an MDX that stickered at 53 K ? Just curious where you bought :)
  • slammieslammie Member Posts: 38
    Twin Cities MN area. I'm about to begin emailing dealers here and in WI. True car puts great price @ < than 48.6k. If car is new to lot, I will try to get holdback, but where do I start? 48.6 - 3% msrp?

Or, should I really begin negotiations at 18% off? Thank you!
    I think that's decent price.
  • acar10acar10 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

Looking to lease a basic MDX in westchester, NY and been offered $489 p/m with 3,500 down. Invoice at 39,600 vs MSRP 43,000. Is this good? Thanks for the help.
  • 1lotlizard1lotlizard Member Posts: 14
    We recently bought a 2010 MDX and were quoted $2080 for a 6 yr / 100K warranty. Has anyone received a better deal from another dealer? We bought another new car (Toyota) over a year ago. At delivery, the dealer quoted $1400 for a warranty. The edmunds message board revealed a dealer in another state selling the same product (manufacturer's warranty, not some third party thing) for around $750. I called the finance person at that dealer and got the warranty. Thanks for any guidance on this.
    No I did not purchase an mdx. I bought a new 08 RL with tech for $ 42500 plus tx ect.

I reside in the SF Bay Area, in California.

The sticker was $ 53000 plus tx ect and I checked around the SF Bay Area by sending emails to all the dealerships asking for their best price and mentioning I was going to buy an RL within two weeks.

Then I sat on it until I started getting emails & a few calls from the dealerships. The best price was from a local dealer (I did not think they would match but they did a little better.) who bid was $ 43500. We negociated down to $ 42500 so I said ok but I wanted them to throw in the add ons on the sticker which they did.

I had previously checked Consumer Rpts estimate (cost =s $15) from them for this vehicle and their cost was $43000. I believe the alledged dearler price was about $ 40567, not sure.

I had a very good friend who was a manager at a bemmer dealer in the Bay Area, and he said they had a margin from about 18 % to about 21 % depending on which model. That was a while ago but I had an idea of the profit stuff. (And I know about the hold back but I was not going to get c.s.

The Acura dealership made a small profit, and I got an excellent price for an excellent vehicle.

They tried to low ball our trade in and my wife of 45 years and I began to walk out and they then gave me the blue book price we wanted.

Drove it home and still own it. We have always love Honda, and I have owned two Acuras before. I will do the same format probably late this year for an MDX, with tech. This will upgrade my wife's 06 Pilot and we can use to tour the USA next when she retires,

Good luck to you and no matter where you live, there will be a dealer, (late in the month) that will be interested. I learned a long time ago not to let the dealer bully me nor try a guilt trip on me either as I worked hard for my money and still do.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • mz3nmsmz3nms Member Posts: 1
    was that 44K out the door? Or did you have to pay shipping? Also, did you have any other options like rubber floor mats, etc...

Thanks.

Lee
  • gallarogallaro Member Posts: 3
    Lee - 44K included options (NAV and ENT) and destination fees ($810) but was before accessories (floor mats, roof rack, etc.). Basically the amount is comparable to items included in MSRP $48.6K and Invoice $44.8K. Be careful because I had a few dealers quote me before destination fees. Add accessories, doc fees, plates and taxes to get your OTD. I negotiated the 44K plus desired accessories and had them email me a calculation of all OTD costs to make sure I had the best price before I ever picked up the phone or walked into the dealer. Also, I had a few dealers suggest they would beat any quote but I bought from the dealership that gave me the best quote as opposed to using their quote and giving the business to a dealer that didn't have a competitive quote.
  • harinder66harinder66 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for an Acura MDX with the Technology package in the San Francisco Bay Area. Can someone let me know which dealer gave the best deal. Also, did anyone ask for part of the "holdback" that the dealers get from the manufacturer.
  • adduaddu Member Posts: 16
    Hi,
    I am searching for a deal on 2010 MDX tech package. So far the lowest quote I have is from a dealer in South California 42900 + tax & fee. I am in San Fran Bay Area and the dealers here are quoting ~43200 - 43500 + tax & fee. After reading posts here, I made an email offer to a local dealer for $ 41700 (his quote was 43300) but he will only match the other dealer's quote. This is the first dealer I have made an offer to. I would like to settle the price if possible ahead of time

Appreciate any advice

I also want to know if I buy in a county where tax is lower than bay area, would I be able to save in taxes or would they charge me for where car will be registered ?

Thanks
    What quotes are you getting ? I got 43300 - 43500
  • gighhemgighhem Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for 2010 acura mdx tech package in seattle/tacoma area, want to buy asap (this week). what is the best price anyone in this area has paid? what are my other options - can i buy from other states and get it shipped here?

Thanks in advance

Hemant
    Dear addu

I sent out about 9 emails to dealers in the Bar Area. I got back about 7 and I sat on them for about 3 days. Over the three days, the dealers sent me lower prices and then I contacted a local dealer in the East Bay and went down and "played the game" of haggling it down to $ 42500 for my 08 RL with tech and nav.

I waited long enough for the dealer's manager to contact me. And over the phone I got my price. He did not like it, but he did it as it was the end of the month and he was flexible now to deal. Its you vs. them (jmo) and my wife and I just kept to our guns and finally my wife said she wanted to go home because they were not going to honor their oral agrement on the phone. They then gave us the price we had bargained for.

I learned a long time ago, from an old friend, Ozzie Davis Jr, that the buyer must stand firm and dont let the salesperson(s) wear you down.

Good luck and I hope you get your price and stay safe.

jensad
    FYI, a local dealer in the Bay Area gave me a $2k for 8 yr/100k warranty
    Also, I got my MDX with Tech for $42.7 plus 11% (tax/docs/dmv). If you folks are living in the Northbay, you can get a bit better deal from Serramonte Acura.
  • freelancer16freelancer16 Member Posts: 7
    Agree with koblix that Serramonte offers good deal - bought our 2009 MDX last year from them.

Would like to know your thoughts on reasons for getting the warranty - anything in particular about the MDX made you wary?
    Thanks jensad

I finally purchased 2010 MDX w/ Tech Package within Bay Area today for $ 41,900 + tax and DMV fee
  • mummummummum Member Posts: 2
    Addu
    Can you tell me the dealership that gave you this special wonderful offer