Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

f 250 engines ?s

themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
edited March 2014 in Ford
Hi. I am thinking of getting an f250 reg cab but I am undecided on the engines. I want the diesel but really dont need it, I would be getting it more for power and reliability reasons. I have no idea on how the 5.4 and the 6.8 would last atleast 170k miles with no major problems. A guy on my jobs site does tile floors has a reg cab 5.4 auto with 133k miles and loves it, says he has plenty of power, and has had no problems at all and does alot of hauling(tiles, saws,etc). We have the 6.8 in a bucket truck at work(f550) and it sounds like it is ready to croke and it has 600 miles on it, I could not listen to that everyday. Could anyone help me as to which engine is a good choice?Oh I would probably be adding a supercharger to the 5.4 for more power in the future.And if I got either of the gassers I would get a 4.30 gear ratio.Any help?Thanks.

Comments

• kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    Don't count on 170K mi.Ford's gas engines are "modular".The V10 is the same engine as the V8 with 2 cyl added.The V10's power is close to the 5.4 supercharged and maintenance/reliability would not be an issue.Maybe there's something wrong with your bucket truck at work,both gas engines have about the same reliability/durability and if you add forced induction you;ll lose longevity.

kip
  • vwracervwracer Member Posts: 90
    I have a 2002 F250 with the 5.4L AUTO with 3:73 gears. Only got 5000 miles on truck so I don't know how long it will last. Just got back from the races. Pulled a 4500lb enclosed trailor 500 miles round trip. No problem cruising at 75mph.

carrier 73110 Rt08
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Member Posts: 493
    You don't say what you're gonna do with the truck besides try to keep it for a long time.
    If it's a f250, reg cab, 4x2 then the 5.4L w/ 4.30 is more than adequate for knocking around town making trips to the dump and Home Depot. If you're hauling heavy stuff, or towing more than 5K all the time or at altitude you may find the 5.4 lacking. 4x4 makes for heavier truck also. Supercharger would definitely help that, but I would question long term reliability with blower. I had hopped up motors on cars as kid, but didn't upgrade rest of drivetrain so things would keep breaking down.
    I have f350, 4x4, crew cab, long bed with V10 and 3.73 rear end. It's a big,heavy beast in that configuration. V10 has power to spare - but think I'd be disappointed with 5.4. I pull a 7900 lb travel trailer about dozen or more times a year, and on occaision 11,000 lb trailer with skid steer. V10 averages 11-12 empty, 8-9 when towing. I've only got 14K miles on it so far.
    Diesel has plenty of torque, usually gets better mileage than gassers. Great if you're towing all the time. Turbo on powerstroke compensates for high altitude. Just gotta get used to exhaust small, soot, noise, and fuel odors. PowerStroke Diesel costs about $4K more than gas engine, but will last 300K miles before needing an overhaul. If you want diesel get it - I know a few folks who don't really need it but it's a great ego thing. For myself, I love V10, and can buy a lot of truck toys and gas for the $4K.
  • jcave1jcave1 Member Posts: 137
    WP must be talking about me, no real need for a PSD. In this case, the truth doesn't hurt. But he is right, usually is it seems.

My decision wasn't based on ego, necessarily. Decided to try something different and go for longevity. We'll see how it works out. Running the mountains the diesel can't be beat. Mileage is also good, lowest 14.5 dead of winter, highest 18.7 in summer. My '92 F-150 302 would get 11 - 12. Believe my other choice would have been
    V-10.

The hook was set for the diesel after driving a few. I hate it when that happens.
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    That's exactly what happened to me. When the 99's hit the lots, I made the mistake of driving one. The bug bit in a BIG way!! I didn't rest until my situation changed just enough for me to justify it.
    Isn't it terrible? Talk about soul searching, I am not an impulse buyer. Thought long and hard, counted every penny. Test drove a couple of used that had been reprogrammed. The bite only got worse. Mine's still stock and will remain so.

Now I'm out looking at canopies. Need to haul show stuff with a place to nap when needed. Lots of bucks there too, $1,870 for Snug Top. Now its penny counting time again. Does it never end?
  • urkillingmeurkillingme Member Posts: 22
    would rather use the $4000 on toys too.

I also don't care for a noise during a certain RPM range. I believe it's called "flutter." The '01's aren't supposed to have it but mine does something different between 2500-3000 RPM. I will be adding an aftermarket exhaust in the near future, hope it gives it a more throaty sound.

9000 miles, 3 oil changes and that's it so far concerning maintenance. Truck usually has 40' trailer or 23' boat hooked up.
    I am amazed how expensive truck toppers are. I spend more time than I should in the local RV store, I can't believe the number of people who walk in, look at their catalog and plop down $1,500 or so just for a topper and never seem to think twice about it. They must have more money than me. With a mortgage, wife and two small boys, I have to watch every penny also. The wish list for my truck totals about $3,000. I keep watching classified sites for things I want. Every now and then I come across a good deal on something I can use. For instance, I just got a Flowmaster muffler and cat delete pipe for $85 total, including shipping. Those two items sell for $225, cat delete pipe, and appr. $135, muffler. I've also bought a Western Diesel Turbo brake for $200, almost $500 new. The things on my wish list include a Western Diesel ram air intake, turbo back 4" exhaust, chip, boost pressure and pyrometer gauge set and electric fan clutch. Oh, I almost forgot the LUK clutch upgrade kit, so now my wish list totals $3,500. Dang, does it ever end?

Oh man I am rambling. Back to mailmans original question. It's obvious I like the diesel. I got a diesel, in part, because of the longevity of its life. With the aforementioned mortgage, wife and boys, I cannot afford to be buying a new truck every 5-6 years. I am looking at a 8-9 year commitment with my trucks. This truck will have 300k miles on it when I can get another one. I am hopeful with the diesel, and would be screwed with a gasser. That $4k to $5k difference in the sticker really doesn't seem all that expensive when compared to the number of miles I can expect to get out of this truck. I agree with Kip, 175k miles is stretching it a little. I figure about 150k miles is all one could reasonably expect, and then still count on lots of repairs that last 25k.

My suggestion to mailman is to get the 5.4 with 4.30 gears if he is not going to be towing/hauling all the time. If he is, go with the 6.8 and 3.73 gears. There are several V-10's around here and they all sound very smooth and quiet. If he needs the vehicle to go beyond 200k miles, expect to put a new/quality-rebuilt engine in it, otherwise get the diesel. Oh, one more thing. He didn't mention the tranny. I would suggest the manual regardless of what engine he chooses. Too many auto problems in the long run for my comfort.
    Ah buddy you're killing me. Got gauges? My truck is stock but the stock idiot gauges have got to go. That's really about the only "I WANT" item, for now anyway.

jerry
  • mrb11mrb11 Member Posts: 58
    Have Ford buy a GM 8.1 Vortec and drop it in that F250. It too will not go 170k trouble free miles but at least you'll have the stongest (gas) truck engine on the market!!!
    Nope, vortec probably won't go 170k. Not sure Ford has a gasser that will either. I can hear those flames acomin.
    But is 15 HP and 40 lb torque that big of a difference?You're talking about a 4% increase in HP and 8% in torque ,in a heavier truck with a lot of dissatisfied customers.

Jim-Nobody gets 150k out of a supercharged engine,especially in a pickup or tow vehicle.Supercharging is'nt something you do to save money.You loose about a third of your engine life (100k is good) and probably void your warranty.If you want that kind of hill pulling power ,the diesel option is cheaper and the engine will last 3 times as long as a S/Cd gasser.

kip
  • themailman1themailman1 Member Posts: 95
    I will be getting the auto, I will add an additional cooler(if it already has one) with synthetic fluid and probably a level ten valve body upgrade. As for engines if the 5.4 won't go close to 175k miles than the diesel will be my choice. I drove one before and loved it, but so expensive. I will probably have to go with a 2000 or 2001, unless I decide to give a good down payment. I would be using the truck on long trips to go hunting, fishing, camping, and occasionally haul 1800 pounds.I would also be going off road with it and I know that it isn't the smallest truck and can be a handful to handle on tighter trails but I can live with it if that is what I decide.
    I'm sorry if I made you think I was recommending a S/C gas engine to go that many miles. I was talking about purely stock. As for towing, IMO once you go over 6k to 7k pounds, nothing beats the diesel.

As for liking diesels, I would have one in my wife's Cougar, my motorcycle and a B&S version in my lawn mower. I would love to have one of the Polaris diesel 4-wheelers or a John Deere diesel 6x4 Gator.

I don't know if you guys are familiar with ford-diesel.com, but there is a section over there called "Therapy." It is a list of things only a diesel lover can identify with. It says if you can identify with three of them, then you need therapy. I identify with 11.
  • leroybkrleroybkr Member Posts: 17
    I have pased the 87000 mile mark on my V10 4.30 auto F350 SRW LB Super Cab. I have used Mobil 1 since new in Sept of 98. I may have staarted using it too soon. It uses a quart of the expensive stuff every 1000 to 1500 miles. It runs perfect and the transmisson is flawless. The transmission was designed for the power stroke so it has plenty of margin for the V10. at least one third of the miles is towing a 15000 lb 5W trailer with a pin weight of 3000 lb. We circle the US every year. Will it last for 200000 miles? Who knows but I'll keep driving it as long is it stays reliable.
    I'm sure someone has asked you this before, so forgive me. As much towing as you do, why didn't you choose the PSD?
    I was wondering how the 5.4 is with the auto tranny? I really don't know if I want to use that extra 4k for the diesel, I heard they lack low end throttle and suck on the highway, I am sure the 5.4 with 4.10 will do whatever I need and I would hope it could last at least150k with regular oil changes and tune ups. DOes anyone have the 5.4 in their sd and how do you like it? Would I be dissapointed, I off road and use it for fishing/hunting trips with no towing and occasoinal hauling?Any help?
    Can't beleive that you've gotten no replies. There has to be somebody out there capable of speaking to the 5.4 and auto tranny.

Most SD owners I know go either V-10 or Powerstroke. Mine is Powerstroke which I just took off roading this past weekend for the first time. As long as the turbo didn't spool up it was great. Turbo spool up never once became an issue. Did notice the added weight of the diesel engine. It crawled over anything and everything. One thing for certain, this thing does not suck on the highway. It just flat hauls ba..s. At 7000 plus pounds it rides really nice. When the turbo comes up it's hang on tight. At 75 it's just starting to run. Very little if any sensation of speed. Probably one of the best road vehicles you'll find.

good luck,

jerry
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    1988 F250 351 Windsor
    184,000 miles and still does not burn oil. On the bad side, I get about 8 miles per gallon and it is not a strong engine.
    Cowboyjohn
    Did you ever decide weather you HAVE a Tundra or a 1/2 ton Sierra?

kip
  • bessbess Member Posts: 972
    I have 00' F250 SC 4x2 5.4L 5sp 4.10ls rear..

It has plenty of power for the truck.. It's not the fastest vehicle on the road, nor is it the slowest.. No problems keeping up and passing traffic in the city driving light-to-light traffic, and plenty of acceleration when your on the highway as the 4.10's put it at a nice 2000 rpm at 65mph, with lots of throttle left..

Just turned 40k miles, and average 15.6 mpg in mixed city/highway driving and light hauling.

Changing the oil every 3k miles, and general maintenance, and you'll go 170k with no major problems..

I didn't choose the PSD because I really only 'need' and F150 for my towing/hauling needs. But I liked the F250 interior size, exterior size/look, 5sp availablity. Everyday I drive it, I know that I chose the right vechicle and options for my needs.
    kg 11- My father has a gmc sierra and I have a toyota tundra. I use his name on this site cause it is easier. I am still not decided on my truck just going to see what they'll give me for my tundra and go from there. I love my tundra but I also love the f250, I wish I could have both.I just like to hear others opinions cause they may have a point of view that is different or that I may not catch on too from my point of view.
  • bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    Sounds suspiciously like the mail carrier's son or daughter is playing on his computer.
    sounds like you have nothing else better to do.
    with signing up for your own account? It's free and easy. Very suspicious. Using his account only gives the members of this board reason to ignore posts from either yourself or the account owner, your beloved father.

Hopefully pf_flyer will pay attention to this and stop the flame war that's about to begin. Possibly even deactivate the account.
    Sorry (I really am) but it looks like you've already been convicted of being a troll.You should have taken my advice yesterday and signed up under your own name.
    Don't get me wrong,it's OK with me if you play with the rest of us,but don't get mad if you don't get taken seriously.

BTW ;NONE of us have anything better to do or we'd be doing it.(you too)

kip
    Ah shucks, we killed a troll.
  • jdtopperjdtopper Member Posts: 58
    a topper, I found one by Innovation for $800 installed on a 350 LWB. It's pretty heavy duty and comes with hinges, locks, bed seal and gas shock/lift struts. The interior surface is covered with a neutral grey carpet. Exterior paint matches the vehicle.

JT
    Does that unit cover the plastic bed rails? Any pop rivets on the exterior trim? I've not looked at Innovation but certainly will.
    Thanks for keeping me in mind.

All the best

jerry
  • leroybkrleroybkr Member Posts: 17
    V10 vs PSD and big towing. I didn't like the $4000 up front, more expensive maintence, noise and black soot on the trailer(the last one is a guess). I also had a personal preference for the V10 if it would do the job. The CVWR is 20,000 lb for the V10 and PSD but the tow limit is higher with the V10 due to its lighter weight. I don't doubt the PSD, even though it was only available with the 3.73 with SRW cabs, would pull a little better but I have more problems with going downhill on 6% grades than I do pulling up the grades. Great question though.
    on that 6% downhill grade thing!!! I pulled the camper once, and found a Western Diesel turbo brake to put on the truck. That thing will hold back 17k pounds at highway speeds on fairly steep grades, as long as the engine is over 2k rpms.
  • jdtopperjdtopper Member Posts: 58
    <<Does that unit cover the plastic bed rails? Any pop rivets on the exterior trim?>>

Yes, it completely covers the cap rails. The locks are on both rear corners. There are no rivets visible.

The sides and back end of the tonneau cover roll over down the outside of the bed rails and tailgate about 1-1/2 to 2 inches. The leading edge (the part facing the cab) is straight, but extends a bit beyond the front edge of the bed; not much gets in under it. The seals work pretty well too; I get some dust in there if I'm out in the boonies with it, but nothing compared to what I would have got if I didn't have the thing, and I can't remember ever getting any water. I also noticed that I got about 1 mpg better mileage after I put it on, but that might have been wishful thinking...

The only thing I may change about it would be to add a slip-on trim strip around the bottom edge, just for looks. Probably wouldn't take more than ten bucks, ten minutes and two ounces of rubber cement.

JT
This discussion has been closed.