Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

ZMW - What do you think?

jlvjlv Member Posts: 14
edited March 2014 in Yugo
Does (did) anyone have a Yugo? What did you

think about it?

Just curious about everyone's opinion on the new

"Yugo" - aka the ZMW.

http://www.forbes.com/2002/04/23/0423yugo.html.html

Comments

• jlvjlv Member Posts: 14
    Well, apparently this discussion is DOA. If the lack of response here is any indication, the new Yugo is destined to again be a "no-go".

Shucks! I created a "dead" discussion on Edmunds. What an ego-buster.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Hey jlv,

I used to own 3 Fiat 128s. Yugo adopted the design from Fiat for the Yugo. I personally think they were good cars (if you stayed on top of the repairs). Reliable,never let me down (ok they would stop in a heavy downpoors due to the dist getting wet).

I think this new Yugo from the pictures will sell. Unfortunately ZMW has the Yugo rep to ward off. ZMW seems to be giving you an expensive look for not a lot of money. I would like to see more pictures before I make a final jugdement.

Lets see, should I buy a BMW or a ZMW...HMM.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Interesting article. It will be interesting to see how the ZMW does here. I didn't see any information on the specs in the article, but I think the very low price will certainly draw some interest.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • dustidusti Member Posts: 36
    that's the ticket.

No one will notice they're BACK.

Who says you can't skin a sheep twice?
  • caesarslegioncaesarslegion Member Posts: 109
    I wont bore you with details but it was a good little car. Ill buy one when they come out. As long as these yugos have a good warranty and a few dealers around. I think zmw has a just as good chance as the Koreans do. Any one know for sure when they'll be selling here?
    Please give some details.

I can't find any dates on the web, but based on my limited search,
    Zastava (the maker of Yogos) has been doing business with other
    countries in Europe.

At this point, I'm curious.
    I too am having problems with finding any thing new on ZMW. Last Fridays USA. TODAY had a big article on the new yugo imports that are coming to the USA. The article went on to say that ZMW is bringing a 2 door hatch,a 4 door sedan and a small pick up truck. These new cars will be using Peugeot engines and transmissions. The pictures shown were of the sedan and hatch and I think they look like they have a hint of Jag style to them. The only sites I know of that have any thing on yugo are Epinions.com and carsurvey.org.
    also before I go I just read that ZMW will try to bring them to the US market next year at a cost of $5,000 to $10,000. If I find any thing new Ill post it.
  • lespacelespace Member Posts: 9
    Actually, the ZMWs to be sold in the US will have engines supplied by Peugeot, Volkswagen or another of Europe's automakers. There doesn't seem to be definitve word.

I'm not too sure about the styling of these. The Jaguar-inspired front of the "Florida" model (as it's known in Europe) is at odds with the boxy form it is attempting to dress up. It might've been simpler (and more elegant) to emulate something like VW's styling.

The smaller new model "Koral" actually has more unified design overall but easily gives away its Yugo origins. It strongly resembles the current Hyundai Accent but with hints of a recent Alfa hatch.

I would actually consider buying the truck. A mini-truck hasn't been on the US market in years.
    Have you seen what this little truck looks like?
    I found a picture of the "Florida" and "Skala" at:

http://www.zastavasa.co.yu/Index1.htm

but I couldn't get the pictures to copy/paste.

(NOTE: Click on Automobili.)

• lespacelespace Member Posts: 9
    The pictures on the Zastava website are not the new designs that will be sold in the US. Check here instead:

http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/flsedan.htm

http://www.hszk.bme.hu/~oj002/yugo/kcurrent2.htm

I haven't found a picture of a new truck yet. I also found out that www.zastava.com is NOT the forthcoming US sales website. It is some other company.

Pretty neat looking cars.
    The new models do look interesting (aka better). I wish I could find out when they are to arrive here in the U.S.
  • 5port5port Member Posts: 395
    Florida

That front end looks very different depending on the angle. The rear is just as controversal. All in all a nice design (especially in this price range). You can still see the Fiat 128 origins.

Koral

Neat design. Interior is a little lacking. Makes my Hyundai seem like a luxoboat. I like the front end treatment the most. Since when have you seen projector headlights in this price class. They may be onto something.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    My God, the outside of that car looks just like my 84 Rabbit!! Tack on some rectangular sealed beam headlights and some metal bumpers and it would be a Rabbit. It's uncanny the resemblance. With some different headlights and a nicer interior, it would be a neat car.

As for the Florida, its design looks very mid-80s, like a box on wheels. The rear end styling is strange to say the least and the front only looks good head on. I don't like it and I'm not sure that model would sell too well here. I mean the side profile looks like a Hyundai Excel sedan or an Isuzu I-Mark.
    The more I looked at it the more it does look like a rabbit
  • npaladin2000npaladin2000 Member Posts: 593
    So when will these things be added to the "Future Models" section?
    Anyone find any specs on these things yet? I haven't....nothing but the above pictures, actually.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,388
    Look up Malcom Bricklin's track record. He couldn't even make it in the bicycle business and he's busted out of the auto business 3 times:
    Subaru 360 (importer), Bricklin(mfr), Yugo (importer).

I doubt he'd know a good car if one ran him over.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

Ok I just got a better gander at the yugo truck and yes its a little plain jane but for the price you could buy it and beat the heck out of it and not feel bad. Look at the ranger and s-10 4 cyl trucks and you might see you really dont get much for the price. For $6k or so why not? The next time your teenage kid wants the keys to go driving just go a head and hand them over ha ha ha. I might get one just to say I owned one. I guess that makes me a freak.
    You know, it all depends on whether they fall apart or not. They might make great "Disposable" cars for kids and stuff....at least they can buy a car with a warranty, instead of a used hunk of junk.

besides, i think the front of the hatchback is cool looking....same with the back of the sedan. But yes, the interior needs a bit of work....of course, those that beat up on interiors won't care about that, will they?
    Yeah tell me about it, I had several used hunk of junk cars in my life. I think the hatch is cool but I just bought one so now all I need is a small no frills pick up and I hope ZMW brings them over.
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    looks like they stole the Santa Fe/ or X-Type Jag front ends.

The one angle I dislike is the trunk(deck) lid/corner..looks like a Spectrum!

If they'd at least round out the corners on it...then it might gel better with the sort of rounded off front end.

For 10grand, it looks alot nicer than a Rio/Accent/ECHO, that is for sure.

Now, as everyone else has stated, If they hold up and have enough delaerhsips,etc, in 2-3 years, yeah, I'd may consider one for a work car, perhaps.

The truck had 2 large tractor tires in it. Should be ok to haul some stuff.

It reminds me of a 1980's truck, in size and looks. Hey, if they hold up and are no more than 10 grand, they could sell? Retro look is in, ya' know.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    Kias, Hyundais, now Yugos returning to the market. What's next, Gremlins?

I'm convinced it is all financed by Greenpeace or Algore 2004 or some other group of environmental-wackos who are secretly attempting to make americans hate cars.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Close, mrnimmo, but no cigar.
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    wow. Only 12 US dealers. I live in Ohio. my nearest dealer could be Chicago or Indiapolis. For those of you in Alaska, forget about it.
  • verozahlverozahl Member Posts: 574
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about ZMV being all over with only twelve dealers. But, they'll be exclusive...! >:)
    I heard now there's going to be 500 US dealers
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    I've decided to write a paper for my economics course on the topic of Yugo and Hyundai. I'm going to analyze why Yugo failed and Hyundai succeeded in the US, and use those conclusions to predict whether ZMW will succeed or not.

In the course of researching this, I've come up with some information about the ZMW venture that might interest some people.

First of all, there are going to be 12 distributors, not 12 dealers. There will certainly need to be more dealers than that if ZMW is going to get anywhere.

This article indicates that Bricklin signed a pre-contract with Zastava at the beginning of October, so the process is indeed moving forward. A lot is riding on the success of Zastava in terms of the former-Yugoslavia's economy, so their government is paying close attention to this deal.

Here is a photo of a current production Zastava Koral:

I don't know whether the US version will look like that, or like the one in the Belgrade show pics that have been circulated recently. Personally, I kind of like the way this one looks.

-Andrew L

The picture is not too bad but I think zmw should start staying away from the box style it last had. If the price is right and dealer ships are plenty then Ill buy one. I think more curves are in order though.
    caesarslegion-

Although the US models may have different fascias, lights, doors, and such, I wouldn't expect any major changes in the roofline. They are going to have to spend a fair amount of money to get these things air-bag equipped and such for the US market, so they are probably not going to spend more on major structural changes, aside from those required to meet crash standards.

I assume this car will still be based on the old-fashioned Fiat undercarriage, although the drivetrain will be completely different than the old Yugo's, with a new engine sourced from Peugeot/Citroen, and an optional automatic transmission.

I'm interested to see what comes of this. I expect to see press releases and stuff during the first months of 2003.

-Andrew L
    with it. Im not sure how others will react to it. If the price is right and if the car can be modified then it might just sell. Do you know what we are looking at price wise?
    caesarslegion-

Malcolm Bricklin claims he will be able to sell them starting at $4990. Of course, that would be a "get you in the showroom" price for a car with absolutely nothing -- manual trans, no a/c, maybe even no radio. One with decent equipment would probably be around $7000 MSRP. That's still cheaper than a Hyundai Accent. However, there's always the possibility that the ZMW is such a bad car that people would rather spend $3000 more on an Accent. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess.

-Andrew L
  • magnetophonemagnetophone Member Posts: 605
    Well, from what I have seen, the new Zastava cars are still based on the ancient Fiat Panda, which is no newer of a car than the original Yugo.
    The ZMW website is up:

http://www.myZMW.com

-Andrew L

Ill take the small truck with out the cap. I cant say I would pay $10k for it but for $8k or so I think its ok.
    caesarslegion-

Yeah, I like the truck too. I imagine you'll be able to snag a strippo model for $7-8K. By the way, it looks to me like the pics currently on the website are of the Serbian-spec models already in production. I think the changes for the US (air bags, better interiors, possible exterior styling changes) are still in the works.

I really like what they've done with the hatchback. You can still see the old Yugo in there, but the new front fascia looks much less frumpy than the old Fiat-esque one on the original Yugo. If they can just keep the build quality at a reasonable level, and keep the price in the $5-7K range, the 3-door could be the next VW Beetle.

-Andrew L
    Do you know what kind of warranty they will offer?
    caesarslegion-

No idea on the warranty. I'm not an "insider" or anything, just going on information I've found on the net. It better be a decent warranty though, because people need some assurance that they won't be out of luck if the car falls apart. Upping the warranty coverage worked wonders for Hyundai...their sales doubled from 1998 to 1999 when the warranty was extended.

As with most cheap-o imports that are new to the US market, I expect that these things will not be up to par quality-wise during the first few years. But that's not necessarily a death sentence; after all, Hyundai made it through. ZMW just needs to be very attentive to customer satisfaction and feedback, making constant improvements in response to complaints and not ignoring customers who get a lemon.

One idea I had was that perhaps they could set up an online forum that was exclusively available to ZMW owners - you would get a password when you bought the car. The forum would be moderated by a few ZMW employees, who could help people out with problems, and take notes on what problems are cropping up freqently, so design changes could be made. Because initial sales volumes will be low, this could probably work. Imagine being able to post on a forum that such-and-such part keeps failing on your car, and have the manufacturer's employee tell you they just got on the horn with Engineering and told them to redesign the component! How cool would that be? I think something like that would really cement the customer loyalty.

-Andrew L
    The forum is a good idea.
  • revdrluvrevdrluv Member Posts: 417
    Oh my god those cars look like they came from 1982.
    ZMW sounds OK. You could probably stuff your own stereo in. Think about having a Bose 600 Watt stereo in the cheapest car on the road!
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    http://www.nucarco.com/ Well I thought that the ZMW concept would die a quick death but is seems to be going forward. Check out the NUARCO website and you will see that ZMW is still progressing. Will be interesting to see how it turns out. The thought of buying something like the pickup is revolting and atractive at the same time if the price is around $7500. Then again, forget it.
  • muffin_manmuffin_man Member Posts: 865
    I see stripped ZX3s for sale for about $7500, and Accents for $6500. Collect them all!
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    That Cabrio II looks terribly like a Chrysler Crossfire in its front end design.
    Since when did they raise the price on the 3-door to $6,990? I always thought it would start at $4,995.
    Hmm, they must have "re-evaluated." Either that or Dubya heard about these guys and moved to protect his buddies in Detroit by raising import taxes from Serbia. ;)

Anyway, they're saying 2005 model year now, which means these cars could be introduced at any time next year. And basically, they're gonna steal SCION's market target before SCION can even grab it. But I still want to know more about their cars, such as ride quality, build-quality, reputation and such. If it's decent, then I can see 3 doors and those "pickup trucks" parked in high school and college parking lots, probably with "go-fast" bolt-ons under the hood. :)

Figure an $8000 loan for 5 years, and it only comes to about $150 a month. There are high school kids out there who make enough to cover those payments. Of course, who knows what the insurance will be like...theft risk will probably be low though. :)
    if my ZMW gets stolen, do you think I'd make a claim? the car would probably be long gone, burned or ripped for parts. Just buy another one. the beauty of cheapness. One breaks? Buy another. Still would cost less than a CamCord.
    Hmm, very good point. "Disposable cars" so to speak. Actually, that's yet another appeal to the high school and college market, some of whom tend to be quite hard on cars. :)

A friend of mine told me about some guy he knew who had a Yugo, and I guess he hyper-tuned the engine on it and added a turbo, and got a mountain of horses out of it (I forgot the exact number). One never knows. Of course, the body fell apart on the sucker...
  • iwannamaxxiwannamaxx Member Posts: 6
    I could see this car being good with first time buyers. When you could have a brand new European car for about the same as an older American or Japanese one, it's appealing. I personally like the 5-door model. You never know, but If it lasts, I'll look into it. Interesting.
This discussion has been closed.