Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

buying a toyota tacoma 4x4 regular cab, 2.7L, in CA

longlinolonglino Member Posts: 7
I am currently looking to buy a 2002 Tacoma regular cab 2.7L 4x4. When I went to the dealer, they told me that they don't sell a Tacoma 4x4 in a regular cab in California, but they do have a 4x2 regular cab that has a look of a 4x4. What gives? I want to know if anyone in California have purchased a Tacoma 4x4 regular cab or have been told the same thing. Thanks

Comments

• kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    They're trying to sell you what they have on the lot.I had a '95 std cab 4X4 V6 5spd.I know they discontinued the V6 std cab but the truck you're looking for should be out there.Call some other dealers or shop online.

kip
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    If you're not completely set on a standard cab, I'd look into the ext. cabs. They come in handy for many reasons. I've been driving a standard cab Ranger for 6 years now and almost daily I wish it had the ext. cab at the least. If you are sure about the std cab, then like KG says check around. If you're in so cal., check with Longo Toyota in L.A., the largest Toy dealership in the nation. They should have it, and if they don't they can find it. I've been there myself recently, and they have plenty of cars/trucks to go around lol.
  • longlinolonglino Member Posts: 7
    funny that you mentioned longo toyota because my last truck was purchased there. i used to have a standard cab but it wasn't a 4x4. i told myself that the next one would be a 4x4. in my personal opinion, the regular cab looks a lot better than the ones with extended or extra cab and it feels more like a 'toy'. and i really want a toy. i have been to a couple of toyota dealers around the orange county area and it seems like they are not willing to treat you like a customer until you are ready to buy. i am currently trying to sell my car before i can put some money down so i wanted to make sure a truck was available so i could purchase it right away after i sell the car. i tell them this but it seems not to matter. i get the same response, 'after you sell your car, get in touch with us' even though they don't have the truck that i want or not willing to tell me how long it would take for them to get me the truck that i want. but i will get my toy one way or another and i will give longo a call.
  • beachbratbeachbrat Member Posts: 23
    Longlino, I was looking for the same 2002 tacoma reg cab 4x4 truck but only found the 2.7 4cylinder auto. Do you want the 4 or V6? They do make both, because I later found out from their website toyota.com Some dealers carry them and others don't. I have heard Longo is the biggest and has the most selection.
    Longlino, I'm still looking for one but have decided to get an extracab. What kind of prices have you been qouted? Do they offer dicounts from Price/CostCo?
    Hey those Toy dealers could sure use a crash course on etiquette ya know. I've gone to a few of them out here in San Bern. county and they definitely left something to be desired. Tell ya what though, Longo was the cheapest dealer I had found of about 10 places I went to. Even better than that though, I went to carsdirect.com, found the Tundra I was looking for, met up with a guy in L.A. area and their price was $1200 less than Longos best.

I know plenty of people who have got the best of deals from carsdirect and no haggling for those of us that would rather do without. They let you customize truck to your needs and then they search all Toyota and similar dealers in your area and see if they can find one on stock, if not then its ordered. Just something to look into if you're interested. Otherwise good luck at Longo.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    but NONE of them are v6s, they just don't manufacturer that setup anymore. Keep looking longo, tell them that you have found one on a lot in the next town and will buy it if your chosen dealer won't order one for you. I know a guy that just bought a std. cab auto with exactly what he wanted on it. The problem - he had to wait six weeks for it to be delivered. It can be done.
    Thanks for the info LosAngMT, I'll look into carsdirect.com I didn't much about them but I will sure give them a try. As for Saddaddy, You have a good point, I could take my business elsewhere and get them(dealer)to custom order it.

I'll try both, Thanks.
    beachbrat: i'm interested in a 5-spd, 4-cylinder

losangelesemt: i was looking through carsdirect.com yesterday and they were offering very good prices. but i didn't know the details of what they would do if one wasn't available, but you helped cleared that up with your explanation. thanks! by the way, the guy you met up in LA, was he a representative working for toyota?

saddaddy: thanks for pointing out that it took your guy 6 weeks to get his truck. it gives me something to work with.
    Not referring to Long Beach there btw lol.

Long - The person I spoke with was a representative for carsdirect. My experience with them up to that point was great. Then the ambulance company I worked for got a hold of me and told me don't worry about coming into work, ever again lol. They did some illegal things which are now in the courts, but nonetheless I had to put the new truck on hold.

If carsdirect can't find what youre looking for, then from what I understand, they contract with a Toy dealer to order it. It will take the 6-8 weeks, same as if you were at say Longo and had to order. Difference being, thru carsdirect, you're paying THEIR price, not Longos or any other dealers. You'd still be waiting the same amount of time for the same built truck. This is how it was explained to me and a few others I've come across, it makes sense.

Even if both you guys decided not to go thru carsdirect, you can always solicit a quote from them, and then use it as ammo at the dealer. I've done plenty of searching around and still have not found a cheaper price than carsdirect. If you guys get a minute, shoot over to Toyota Tundra Problems thread and see post #900. It's from a very recent carsdirect customer who was happy and explains the carsdirect process and his experience quite thoroughly.

Cheers
    Longlino, did you try carsdirect.com? They have really good prices. Let me know what they qoute you for the 4cyl. 5speed.
    That was funny LosAngelesMt. I use to live by there, but moved south to Huntington off Warner and Springdale. Anyways, CarsDirect.com sounds good, I emailed them yesterday and then they already contacted me today(Thurs). Sorry to here about your job and your truck. I'll check into Tundra and see post#900.
    LosAngMT, can't find post#900 in Tundra problems. I wanted to see what their opinion was on the CarsDirect.com buying experience
    LosAngMt, I found it, nevermind. Thanks
    Hey, make sure you're in Toyota Tundra Problems not Tacoma problems or something else. When you're there, you have to go to top of screen and hit the scroll up 20 messages button a few times, #900 should be there. If not then I'll copy it to here. Just didn't want to get this topic toooooo off track. Not as if it would be the first time an Edmunds thread veered off course lol.

Btw ... if you think you've outstmarted the smog by going south .... WRONG lol. But you did yourself a favor by switching counties i think. Everyone loves H.B., can't say the same for L.B. oh well. One of the few places its ok to tan on the roof.

Cheers
    it was roughly $17,000. i got the 16" steel rims with bigger tires, enhancement package which gives me a/c, and a sliding rear window. i got to have my sliding rear window.
    cardirect found my truck! oh by the way, thanks losangelesemt for referring me to #900. cardirect called me this morning at work and told me that they couldn't find one here in southern cal so they were going to check with the toyota dealer which they have a connection with in northern cal. believe it or not, they found only one and it was pretty much exactly what i was looking for. i have two options from here, either go pick it up or pay them to have it shipped to southern cal. The cardirect person also explained to me how it would work if i special ordered one. Once a month on the third week, toyota puts in a special order. if i put an order in may, it wouldn't be available until august (3 mos.) and i would have to put down a $1000 dollar and the price would be a little bit more going through cardirect. one of the toyota dealer called me and said that if i special ordered from them, there was NO NEGOTIATION. you know what i say to that...SCREW YOU! so now, i have to decide if i should pay a little extra to have it shipped or make a trip of it and go pick it up. the person at cardirect was very helpful and very patient with all my questions. they definitely put the customer back into customer service!
    I'm glad to hear that someone in this state had the truck. Kind of a bummer it was up north, but I suppose it beats ordering one. The guy from post 900 was actually someone else I referred to carsdirect and he seemed pretty happy. The dealer giving you the no negotiation garbage is for the birds. Thats a good way for them to negotiate themselves out of potential business. Well let me know what you end up dong and how everything went in the end. I'm hoping to get together with carsdirect soon and try this Tundra again, so I'm glad to hear they're still treating people like people lol.

Cheers
    Long, that's good news. The talked to the dealer and they said that they didn't have a white, but they had a Silver Mist color. Would that repel the sun/heat or attract it?
    So, roughly $17k
    Is that the extracab 4cyl or V6? auto or manual?
    Have you decided on going up North to get it or just paying $$$ to have it shipped?
    well, it has been a while. the good news is that i have my truck. but after thinking about what losangelesemt said, i decided to get an extracab instead. i did find a black, 4x4, 4cyl, 5spd, extracab tacoma at longo and bought it last tuesday. my first used of the extracab was during my lunch break...i reclined my seat and took a nap. boy, was i really happy that i purchased an extracab. i also moved last week so the bedliner that came with the truck was very handy. beachbrat, i wouldn't worry too much about the sun when choosing a color. the way i think is that no matter whats the color, with your windows up, its going to get hot inside. all it takes is rolling down the windows and you are good to go. so choose the color you want. i love my black tacoma and the more i look at it, the more it looks better with an extracab.
    Longlino, good to hear that you got your truck. How was your buying experience at Longo? Did you get a Great deal? Do you mind I ask what you paid for yours? I plan on going there soon, also a friend mentioned Toyota of Orange. I hope to find a reg cab 4x4 V-6 5speed, but if all else fails I will have to buy the extra cab. Thanks
    Very happy to hear on the decision. Boy I just couldn't imagine getting another truck now without the extra cab. Its nice to put the seat back sometimes lol, and always nice if you need room for little things that you dont want in back of truck. The bedliner is a great idea too, can't beat it. Btw ... I have always thought the ex cab looked a lot better than the standard. I think the sharpest looking Tacoma's I see around here are extra cab. Shoot, the Tacoma itself gets my vote for sharpest looking smaller pickup. Good luck with the new truck, just in time for summer in the southland.
    if i am correct, toyota's don't make a regular cab 4x4 in a v6, they only make a regular cab in a 4cyl tacoma or a tundra. as far as my truck, it was about $20,000 before tax but carsdirect was about $300 less. i got a lower financing going through longo and my friend works as a car's saleman so he helped me out negotiating so it ended up to be about the same as carsdirect. but i would go through carsdirect first and print out their pricing and use that as your negotiating tool. if longo can't beat it, go with carsdirect. and losangelesemt, you are right, the extracab tacomas do look sharp.
    Longlino, Thanks for the info. I guess the extrcab will have to do. Yeah, good idea I will take the carsdirect print out and take it with me when negotiating a deal.
This discussion has been closed.