Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Tacoma factory tow pkg vs aftermarket

dennisf6dennisf6 Member Posts: 2
Just picked up my factory ordered 2002 Tacoma DC.
(5 1/2 month wait if you want ABS)

They "forgot" to put on the towing package I ordered. The dealer tells me I can get an aftermarket hitch and Toyota wiring for much cheaper than insisting on the Toyota hitch.
Any opinions on whether or not the Toyota hitch is any better?

Even more important - Is the hitch and wiring the ONLY thing you get with the tow package from Toyota? (No extras like oil cooler or bigger radiator or...)

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    lariat1lariat1 Member Posts: 461
    You can get a class IV hitch and the wiring for trailering in any trailer parts store and it will be cheaper than buying it from toyota but I do not know if toyota puts any Aux coolers on their trucks as part of the tow package.
  • Options
    beachbratbeachbrat Member Posts: 23
    Dennis, check out post #391 by Rodnh in Tacoma problems. He mentions some info on the tow package.
  • Options
    olddawgolddawg Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2002 Prerunner without the tow package. I got the class IV hitch, transmission cooler, and wiring installed for $100 less than it would have cost for the dealer installed option.
    Just my $0.02 worth.
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    Have an '02 Tacoma V6 5 speed 4x4 TRD. I added a class III hitch(5000 lbs?) and wiring harness. Will this tow a ski boat, roughly 3800 lbs on the trailer?
  • Options
    kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    I had a '95 STD cab V6 4X4 5spd until feb '02.I used this truck to tow my 20' open bow,with trailer 3950 lb.It'll do it but you gotta work.The added wheelbase of your extended cab should help with steering control,which was my biggest problem at hiway speeds.You'll still want to keep your speed down(55 was OK but 65 was scary).Other than that ,I used lo-range on the luanch ramp.Since I bought my Sierra 2500HD with the 8.1 I didn't use the Taco any more,so I sold it cheap to a good friend.It had 106K on it and ran like new.

kip
  • Options
    slorenzenslorenzen Member Posts: 694
    I only live 2 miles to the ramp, so I won't have to go far. Sounds like it'll do OK(just) for my application. Boat is 20' bowrider with the 5.7 engine, so it would be very similar to your experience. If I weren't so cheap, I would have bought a "real" truck, but with a 60 mile round trip commute, I couldn't justify a full size V8.

Thanks again,

Scott
This discussion has been closed.