Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Care & Maintenance

Comments

• kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    The oil filter is in a little bit of an odd position:

When looking down into the engine compartment, look to where the oil dipstick is. Look 3-4 inches to the right and then down 8 or 10 inches (rough guess), under the silver heat-shielding. The filter is parallel to the ground.

It is easy to remove if you use a special type of wrench - a "cap" or "cup" wrench that fits over the end of the filter. Be very careful to get the right one. There are two slightly different types, one with 16 and one with 17 flutes (I think that's the right term). It may be 15 vs 16, I don't remember the specific count.

The oil change on the Sienna (with that wrench) is *really* easy. I find it a bit laughable that Toyota considers it beyond the grasp of owners to do on their own (like other manufacturers).
  • etalon02etalon02 Member Posts: 20
    I just changed the oil today for the first time on an 04 Sienna. Removing the oil drain plug was easy, but taking off the oil filter was a bit messy. The hot intake manifold prevented me from putting enough torgue to loosen the thing reaching from above. I had to jack up the front end and reach it from below. I used instead a strap-type filter wrench and it helped.

I have a question for kinct: did you notice whether there was originally a rubber gasket between the oil pan and the drain plug? I did not see one - perhaps they forgot to put one on at the factory? The service manual clearly suggests a new one be put on after each drain & refill, which I did (the drain plug gasket costs 72 cents each).
  • kinctkinct Member Posts: 59
    Try using the cap/cup wrench on the filter - *if* it is one that has fluted ends (e.g. Toyota/Fram filters, vs Purolator/Wix filters which are completely circular). That makes getting that nasty little filter off much easier. JUST MAKE SURE TO COUNT THE NUMBER OF FLUTES! Fram filters have a different count than Toyota filters (IIRC Fram has one more). With that wrench, this becomes the 2nd easiest car to change the oil on that I have ever had (older VW golfs/GTIs (86/87) were easier still). It's really easy.

Re the gasket between the oil pan & plug - be careful - I bet the original gasket was still attached! The gaskets are some sort of hard composite material, not rubber or a soft metal. They really like to stick to the oil pan.
  • etalon02etalon02 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for your advice. I'll see if I can find the right cap-type wrench. As to the drain plug gasket, you are probably right about it sticking to the oil pan. I looked for it all over the place, and I thought the raised ridge around the drain hole is part of the oil pan. Oh well, I'll take care of it next time I do the oil change.
  • carmaven18carmaven18 Member Posts: 21
    I currently own a 1998 Sienna LE, and I was wondering how often you have to change the timing belt. Thanks so much!
  • freebirdfreebird Member Posts: 77
    90,000 miles. At my dealer, they charge $219. I would also get them to change the belts - no additional labor - only the cost of the 3 belts.
  • jablonka1jablonka1 Member Posts: 8
    The SERVICE MAINTENANCE REMINDER LIGHT came on after 7,500 miles. I looked in my service manual and found out that it meant replace the engine oil. Since I had changed the oil at 5,000 miles, I wanted to reset the reminder lite. It was nowhere in the manual. Do any of the 2004 sienna owners know how to reset the light?
  • davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    Toyota Supports ASE Certification Page 1 of 1
    EL002-03
    Title:
    SERVICE MAINTENANCE REMINDER
    LIGHT RESET PROCEDURE
    Models:
    ’03 4Runner & Land Cruiser, ’04 Sienna
    Technical Service
    BULLETIN
    March 7, 2003
    TSB REVISION NOTICE:
    July 29, 2003: Applicable models now includes 2004 Sienna.
    The 2003 model year 4Runner and Land Cruiser, and 2004 model year Sienna vehicles
    are equipped with a Service Maintenance Reminder Light. The following procedure
    should be used to reset the light when the oil has been changed.

1. Turn the ignition switch to the “ON” position.
    2. Set the Odometer / Trip Display to the “ODO” mode.
    3. Turn the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.
    4. Depress and hold the Trip Meter “RESET” button while turning the ignition switch to
    the “ON” position.
    5. The Service Maintenance Reminder Light will:
    a. Illuminate solidly for 3 seconds.
    b. Blink for 2 seconds.
    c. Illuminate solidly for 1 second.
    d. Turn off.
    6. Release the Trip Meter “RESET” button.
    7. Turn the ignition to the “OFF” position.
    8. Turn the ignition to the “ON” position, and confirm that the Service Maintenance
    Reminder Light goes out.
    Have any of you replaced your rear shocks? I have a '99 LE and I am going to replace the rear shocks and front struts. The rear looks like I will have to pull the each side panel from the cargo area. Anyone been through this yet?
  • filodfilod Member Posts: 189
    Dave, thank you. This is very helpful for us who change their own oil in between the maintenance reminder.
    In case anyone else is interested in this - the rear shocks are easily accessible from inside the van. It took about 5 minutes to change both rear shocks.
  • jszeljszel Member Posts: 1
    OK, I've scanned all the messages on changing the plugs on the Sienna. But I have an additional concern: one of the three front side ignition coils seems to have a slight leak (there is a trace of a black oily substance on the valve cover). Are these coils filled with oil as an insulator? Or is the insulation inside the coil a solid material? I'm assuming that if the oil is the insulator then I'll have to replace it (I'm sure it's $50+). Comments please?

-J
  • hgeyerhgeyer Member Posts: 188
    Hello - I'm a new poster to the Sienna board and I hope someone can help me out.

I attempted to DIY the 30K antifreeze change on my 2001 Sienna yesterday. I followed the standard procedure of heating the engine with the heater on high, turning things off, and draining (after allowing things to cool off) via (i) first removing the lower radiator hose; and (ii) then realizing that there's a handy valve on the other side of the radiator.

I didn't keep track of how much liquid drained (no, I wasn't draining it into the sewer), but made sure that no more liquid drained from the valve or the lower hose attachment. When refilling the system, it only took 1.5 gallons, versus the 2.75 gallons that it should take according to the engine specifications.

I've gone through earlier posts on this board and now realize that there are engine mounted drains, as well as the suggestion that I should drain the rear heater line. Given this knowledge (I know, I should've checked this board first), I have the following questions:

1. Is it possible that the engine block holds one gallon of fluid. Will opening the engine valves release this fluid?

2. The rear heater appears to use only one quart of fluid (based on the capacity specs for rear heater vs. no rear heater vehicles). If this line holds significantly more fluid than this and I choose to drain that line, which hose (there appears to be two) do I remove?

3. How do I find and access the rear engine drain valve?

and

4. I now have a cooling system that's 1.5 gallons of Prestone ethylene-glycol (green-diluted 50:50) and 1.25 gallons (approx) of OEM Toyota fluid. Can these two coexist for a while or should I be re-changing the fluid (once I figure out how to fully drain the system) ASAP?

Thanks
    Hans
  • drah311drah311 Member Posts: 8
    Jack, did you ever get any answers? I have a 2004 Sienna and the bumper plastic seems so soft. Only had the car a few months and there are scratches that I wouldn't expect in a +/- $30K vehicle.

Fred
    No - I just use some silicone on the bumper to get it looking nice - then it slowly fades. My LE has the gray bumpers.
    look into getting the clear plastic (like bubble- wrap, but a lot more expensive) for your vehicle. I think trdparts4u caries them for us...

I'm thinking of getting these, but looking for the price to come down...(I just purchased a LTD recently and i'm still licking my wounds, but I'm happy) :)
  • nj_siennabuyernj_siennabuyer Member Posts: 2
    The service maintenance light on my new Sienna XLE AWD keeps coming up. I have completed only 4750 miles of local and highway driving in NJ. The service manual recommends a service once every 7500 miles. Does anyone know why this light comes up ? Is there a potential problem ? Do I need to have the service done sooner than 7500 miles ?
  • zzzzzz982000zzzzzz982000 Member Posts: 17
    I would like to know more about rustproofing treatments for Sienna's 2004 and over.

Do you need to do any treatment. What is recommended.
  • 2003blue2003blue Member Posts: 1
    I am would like to know too. I sent an email to toyota but they did not respond.

anyone responded to your message?
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    there are typically 2 kinds i think. One is they apply a coat of tar (or similar product) to the underside and its pretty much for life although yearly touck ups are recommended. $350
    The other is spraying oil which is a bit cheaper but has to be done yrly atleast once in 2 yrs. $75)

i wouldnt let the dealer do this as i undertstand the markup is higher.

I have done this practically every yr especially if you live in a cold wet climate.
  • liaisonliaison Member Posts: 49
    Does anyone know where I can purchase an after market cabin filter? I priced one today at my Toyota dealer and it was $30+ .
    ~$18 plus tax & shipping
    at
    http://www.trdparts4u.com/
    and it's not aftermarket!!! (true toyota parts)
  • samrus1samrus1 Member Posts: 11
    My 2004 Sienna has about 4000 miles. I need to change the oil before 5000 miles (according to the manual).

Should I go with Synthetic oil for life on this van?

Also, should I always go with 5W30?

Thx.
    For "do it yourselfers" I would use fully-synthetic 5w-30 weight motor oil. the money is well spent in good quality 100% synthetic oil.
  • gregoryscottgregoryscott Member Posts: 1
    I need to change the oil on my new Sienna for the first time--but I can't find in the owner's manual anything about how many quarts it takes. Can someone enlighten me? Thanks!
    5 quarts of 5w-30 weight motor oil with filter change.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Make sure no sand falls into plug sockets when you change your plugs. Engine could be get ruined.
  • todolisttodolist Member Posts: 2
    Has anybody changed lamps in their dashboard. Local shop wants $125 for the labor and I would like to save the money and do it myself.
  • acm1acm1 Member Posts: 1
    rust proofing is very important to do on any vehicle. All that salt on the roads just eats away at the vehicle. You should go to a dealership and get it done. I did. It's the best way to do it, you get a life time warranty and only have to do it once so it never costs you anything again
  • nickshamsnickshams Member Posts: 4
    I just bought Toyota Sienna 98 , The guy give me the list of dealer operation code and little description what he did maintence last six year , I need more information about operation code like 20TOZZ21 = A.V.R I dont know and dealer also not help me , Could you please help me , I am in Toronto , Or if you know the web let me know
    AVR typically means amps voltage resistance test to change out an alternator or battery.
  • mikeaz2mikeaz2 Member Posts: 1
    Just want you to know that your answer is still helping out here! I spent $100 on the "official" Toyota manual when I bought mine in 2000 and it gives very little info on exactly how to do this. Got it off in minutes after reading your post :D
  • harley918harley918 Member Posts: 1
    Took my 04 Sienna LE in for a recall and of course the technician suggested the following considering the vehicle had 14,000 miles: rotate tires/alignment, replace air filter, replace "vent" filter. I couldn't get the work done that day because of childcare but after I got home I recalled the salesperson where I bought this van telling me that the A/C filter was washable. I then went on a Toyota Parts Site and found a filter that was described as "good for up to 50,000 miles/washable" which made me wonder why that wasn't suggested to me at the dealership (how the heck would they make money??!!). I got out my 2004 owner's manual, turned to page 456 and handed it to my 15 year old son. He removed the filter & brought it to me, I picked out some debris, then rinsed it in the kitchen sink, filled up the sink with some dishwashing liquid, swished it around for 2 minutes, rinsed it well again, set it in the window to air dry and my son replaced it the next day. What a chore! They were ready to charge me 55.00 for that job! I know I'll probably have to replace it eventually but I'll search on a parts website (and even settle for a generic--it just filters the air!). I found one for 18.40 but shipping was 10 bucks but you are still close to half of dealer replacement. Wash the thing and go out to dinner with the savings! ;)
  • bjajmjpjbjajmjpj Member Posts: 1
    Our 2004 Sienna take 5 quarts!
  • autotyroautotyro Member Posts: 1
    After I replaced the battery on my 2001 Sienna, the "PWR Door" light on the console stays on. Should I use the same procedure?
  • lunarmistlunarmist Member Posts: 41
    Our 2002 Sienna LE has 42,000 miles. Recently when we brought in to the Toyota dealership for an oil change, they tried convincing us that the spark plugs needed to be replaced after 30,000 miles. When I let them know that I knew it had Iridium spark plugs, they backed off and left us alone (from trying to rip us off).

Suggestions at what mileage the Iridium plugs need replacing ?

Also, any other suggestions on things that need replacing as preventative maintenance besides the basic fluids and filters? A nice mechanic at the dealership said the PCV valve every 15,000 miles, which I have been doing.
    toyota canada says replacing the plugs at 96000kms (60k miles). for both Platinum & iridium. but i seem to recall that the iridium can go a bit longer. at any case the platinum plugs (98-00) needs to be changed at 96000 kms.
    the sunroof needs a reset (there apparently is a procedure in the manual) after a battery disconnect. Maybe the pwr door needs the same.
  • noscamsnoscams Member Posts: 1
    WHen do i need to have the oil changed on the 2005 Sienna for the first time?
  • mechyudamechyuda Member Posts: 8
    Hi everyone,

Probably by the end of this year, I will need to get a 60,000 mile service on my Toyota Sienna CE, Year 2001, according to the driver's manual.

I checked out Edmunds' maintenane guide and it said that the cost for this should be ~$110 + tax. I called a Toyota dealership that wanted $360 + tax. I called different independent autoshops. Prices ranged from $340 to $180 plus tax.

What are your experiences and costs in getting for a 60,000 mile service?
  • mechyudamechyuda Member Posts: 8
    It depends on how you drive. You need to read your automobile's maintenance manual -- it will tell you in great detail.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    If you are like me, the time interval is more important than the mileage. We have only 2287 miles on our 2006 Sienna...but that will change quickly with a few round trips to Disneyland. :shades:
  • sternfanlasternfanla Member Posts: 2
    Hello All. I have a 2000 Toyota Sienna. I cannot figure out how to take apart the brake lite lens on the hatch so I can replace the brake lite. I did remove the 1 screw to loosen the lense but cannot get the lens off. I would appreciate help.
  • spyhandlerspyhandler Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2001 Sienna. I need to get the spare tire out, but don't know how. The spare is located under the car, near the rear bumper. I don't have a manual. :cry:
  • nmnsiennanmnsienna Member Posts: 1
    there is a tiny little flap in the carpet very near the latch in the trunk. the wheel nut wrench from your toyota tool kit should fit the bolt under this flap. turn it anti-clockwise and your should see your spare tire drop down as you turn it. you will need to turn it until the tire sits on the ground before you can remove it from the hanger.
  • keithlcakeithlca Member Posts: 13
    I assume you mean the third brake light on top. Recently, I have to replace my 99 Sienna's light also. The problem is that the foam insulation melted onto the car's body. I almost want to just break the plastic cover. With cooler head, I insert a thin piece of metal to loosen the cover. If it's not for the melted foam, that cover should fall right out after removing the 2 screws.
  • essennessenn Member Posts: 7
    Could someone pls direct me to info on 05' sienna maintenance schedule?

thanks
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, essenn,

Just input the information for your Sienna here:

Maintenance Schedule

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• 69flh69flh Member Posts: 10
    60,000 miles on my 2002 Sienna and ready for a plug change.
    How difficult is this? I understand the back bank is difficult. Any tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.
    Thanks