Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Sienna Future Models

Comments

• nicolekirnicolekir Member Posts: 6
    My husband and I drove a 2004 LE this morning and loved it!!! We're ready to buy, but we want to check out the XLE's interior before settling. Has anyone heard or know of any XLE's in Massachusetts??
  • bill1000bill1000 Member Posts: 38
    Hey bexcell-

What dealer in MD quoted you $900 over invoice? I'm in PA and can't get one to quote anything but MSRP. Thanks.
  • rambhamrambham Member Posts: 10
    Thank you for the price info.

I was under the impression that the "XLE limited" was a different trim line for the Sienna. From how the options are setup it looks like the xle limited is basically an xle in terms of the options.

Are all xle options available on an xle limited?
  • jmpelletjmpellet Member Posts: 19
    I called Boch in NOrwood and they claim to have an xle -- not sure if they were bs-ing me just to get me in the door. I am eager to see what people in MA and RI are paying! Please post details!
  • srl99srl99 Member Posts: 37
    In terms of handling - which is not to say it's
    bad, but my description of Windstar's handling is
    "like piloting a whale". Of course the F*RD
    probably doesn't much time out of the shop - or
    as friends once described my Fiat "it gets nearly
    infinite gas mileage - on the back of that tow
    truck".

Haven't checked the spec's but my sense was
    interior room wasn't too different that the
    Windstar.

I don't care too much for the funky automatic
    shifter - I can easily see times where an
    unintended selection of 3rd will be made from 4th.
    In this era of $2.00+ gasoline, one needs all the
    gears one can get. And the 18/24 EPA MPG rating
    isn't all that high to begin with.

I happened to have a tape measure with me and sure
    enough between the wheel wells in the rear is
    about 4 feet - I won't guarantee that your 4'x8'
    plywood will lie flat (nor did I measure the
    length of the compartment) - but I believe you'll
    get it in there.

AWDs come with run-flat tires (previously
    mentioned) though the dealer said there's a
    $500 option for a spare and probably some
    different mechanism for folding the 3rd
    row seat (as the spare stays in the well that
    side of the 3rd row won't lie flat).

If it were me I'd buy a cheap steel rim, and a
    decent tire and throw it in the back on long
    trips. The range of a run-flat would be enough
    for me to be confident when not far from home.
    [Not that I care for run flats at all.]

Dealer offered $300 under MSRP as their 'Costco
    price' LE AWD with Package 4. As these are
    available as fleet vehicles - much better deals
    can be had (previously mentioned CXX Fleet Mgt.
    promises 2% over invoice, and can even drop ship
    to you for an additional few hundred depending on
    the dealer's pricetag.) 90 day wait though, but
    I'd be inclined to give the factory a few months
    to find/fix some bugs anyway.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Now that we know more of the options of the sienna and the exorbinant cost of the nav system 7k, ody looks like a deal if you want nav.
    so like the pilot maybe there are dealer add ons to build up to the equipment level of the sienna xle

sooooowhat are the dealer option addons for the ody and how does it compare then to xle, perhaps you can't get an ody like the sienna. maybe the xle ltd is the lexus level sienna.
  • newcar35newcar35 Member Posts: 48
    The XLE and XLE limited are 2 different trim lines. You asked about the XLE limited on your first post, then the regular XLE on your second (re: the nav). The information I have on the limited does not list the NAV as standard or an option, but I have a hard time believing it's not available in the Limited, when it is on the XLE. I would assume it is available on the limited, even though I can't tell you for sure that it is. FYI, the XLE has 19 packages, whereas the info I have on the Limited shows only 5 packages.
  • plymouthhaterplymouthhater Member Posts: 14
    Hi and thanks for responding to my post, please send the name of the dealer to
    [email protected]
    At the autoshow in Toronto, they had 3 '04 Siennas on display, the CE and the XLE had Dunlops and the LE had Michelins...
    They couldn't tell me which tires were standard equipment on a 2WD LE.

Anybody know if the Michelins are standard?
  • bearpamplinbearpamplin Member Posts: 25
    $900 over invoice is a pipe dream. Good luck. If they do fleet on the 04 Sienna, bye, bye resale value. Great vehicle, the pricing and packages will be a problem for most buyers, but it will sell. Odysseys at discounts, or full sticker Siennas. The choice is yours. It's up to Mr & Mrs consumer.

Good luck in your purchasing.
    sorry...turns out my email address is
    [email protected] (I guess when you create an email address via yahoo.com, when you indicate that you live in Canada, the default you to their Canadian mail server)
    Please send me the dealer name,
    thx
  • canuck13canuck13 Member Posts: 73
    Just sent you an e-mail (both addresses). Re the tires, the XLE at the Toronto show was a XLE AWD. And you are correct that it had Dunlop DSST (Dunlop Self Supporting Tires). However, Bridgestone just announced last week that they would be Original Equipment on the AWD Sienna. See my post from a few days ago with the Bridgestone website address with the announcement. So, I'm not sure what I'll be getting when my AWD LTD arrives in a couple of weeks.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,381
    stopped at the local dealer (they got their frist one in today).

BTW, the mileage estimates were 19/27 (it was an XLE front drive), silver/gray leather, very sharp looking.

Tremendous room inside, very comfortable. Makes the Honda look somewhat plain and outdated by comparison. Also, the front seats (IMHO) very much more comfy than the Honda park benches.

To me, looked smaller outside (and lower) than it really is. Also noticed that the rear quarters had a little of the Matrix to them (the way the rear window pinches down at the back, just not as severe).

COuldn't drive it (it was sold), but got to sit. Tons of room in the 3rd row (and I'm 6' tall), and limo like room in the middle row. Lots of neat features (storage cubbies, etc).

Salesman did say to come back in a few weeks when they get more in, and they would be able to "work with me" better.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• danhirschdanhirsch Member Posts: 20
    As I posted earlier, I got my XLE for 5% over invoice with the FR package and the premium accessory package (floor mats, cargo net and "first aid kit", also at 5% over invoice. More than I wanted to spend, but a decent amount less than MSRP, I believe.

By the way, I was told I would get $50 for everyone who comes into Brunswick Toyota in NJ, asks for Zahid Syed, the salesman, and tells them that Dan Hirsch referred you (and, of course, buys a Sienna.) He did tell me that the best he can do for someone who did not previously buy from them is $500-700 off of MSRP, which is not bad considering the competition.

By the way, I was told I will have to wait 2-3 weeks until the van comes in - now... do I choose the Silver Shadow or the Salsa Red?
  • dwebb3dwebb3 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove two new Siennas. I was eager to experience the performance after reading about the class leading 0-60 in 8.3 seconds.

While driving the first Sienna I experienced almost a full second hesitation when I tried to accelerate aggressively. This was very annoying and I was disappointed in the responsiveness of the engine. I thought this might just be an isolated problem so I drove another one. I experienced the same problem. Once the engine "kicked in" it had plenty of power but the hesitation issue during aggressive accelerations was undesirable.

I was wondering what might cause this problem and if this might be something that can be adjusted. I would appreciate any input that I can get. Since the same problem occurred on both vehicles I assume this is a factory "feature".
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Some automatics are adaptive which means they learn how to adapt to the driver's style. It takes a little while for the transmission to adjust. Anyone know if the Sienna's tranny is like this?
  • tfrank3tfrank3 Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering getting an AWD XLE (5376) w. package #17 (GK). I'm wondering how exactly Columbia Fleet quotes the 2% over invoice. I'm presuming they also add $510 destination to that and ~$610 TDA advertising fee. TDA in the Denver region was $610 when I bought my Highlander a year ago.

Has anyone determined if they have to charge the TDA fee for the region you get your car from?

Also, does anyone know what they charge for shipping if there is no cooperative dealer nearby?

I'm not excited to wait 90 days for Columbia, but I would like to know their deal so I can get a rural dealer to match the deal.
  • deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    On older siennas (mine is a 2000 and i have read several others say the same thing) while cruising at a certain speed if you flow the gas pedal there is a noticable hesistation. This was discussed in the sienna forum a yr or so back. This is not to be confused with the tranny shifting down which is rather common.
  • siennaitalysiennaitaly Member Posts: 8
    Westboro Toyota. I bought their only 04 Sienna.
    $500 off MSRP. LE 7. Dunlop tires. This van was meant to be the show van. Gilles is a very knowledgable sales person.
  • andrewtran71andrewtran71 Member Posts: 840
    I saw the 2004 Sienna XLE Limited Edition with the NAVIGATION system in the latest issue of Car and Driver Magazine. But if the XLE (regular) with NAVI is about $36K, how much is the XLE LIMITED with NAVI? Man, it's like a Lexus pricing, but only it's not a lexus because Toyotas are not Lexus. A good example is the Toyota Avalon (Toyota's Top of the line Sedan) compared to the Lexus ES---it's just not the same thing; the Lexus is built in Japan, it has thicker glass and better sound insulation, it is quieter, it has a better premium stereo system, it has a better reliability rating, and of course, since it is a Lexus it gets speacial treatment from the dealers on services. So no matter how much you pay for that Toyota, it's never going to be a Lexus. That's why some people buy a Lexus over a Toyota even when some people say that they the same thing. Why is Lexus ranked number one overall in reliability and Toyota ranked around number 6 (along with Honda) on one of the J.D. Powers & Associate list that I saw a few months ago?
    There is no way I would pay $40-45K on any Toyota Siennas unless it's a Lexus with the Lexus badge, sold at a Lexus dealer, and was made along with the other Lexus in Japan (well, except the new RX330 being made in Canada).
    But the Limited Sienaa with NAVI looked very cool, but not as cool as the 2003 Honda Accord or Acura RL or Lexus LS430, LX470, and GX470 with the NAVIGATION system. I would rather buy a used Lexus LX470 with Navigation system any day than buy a brand new Sienna with NAVI for $40K plus.
    But that's just my big mouth opinion :-).
  • hst1hst1 Member Posts: 17
    Hi bexcell,
    I also live in PA and was hoping to get closer to invoice price am willing to drive to Maryland to get it, can you please let us know the name of your dealer.. thanks
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
  • bargamonbargamon Member Posts: 302
    Your deductive reasoning is interesting. I guess for you it begins and ends with the way cool NAV.

Used cars are very good values. The oddy is a great minivan. Have you driven a Sienna yet? Have you compared? It is going to be quieter than the oddy, and as you said its not such a big deal, but then those quiet Lexus' are very important to you.

Quality differs because lexus does not sell the lower line cars that Toyota does. The Es is a gussed up Camry and Avalon platform with the same drivetrain. Many people feel there is great value on price. you can get a nice camry for about 22k on the same platform as the 36k es300.
    The new RX330 is the same platform and drive train as 24k sienna. Obviously there are ammenity issues, but value is percieved.

If you must have a NAV then I too would have a problem at 40k for a sienna. But I would not spend 65k for a Lexus truck no way. Or 4ok for a used one.

To each his own, good luck with what ever you decide. At least we know you won't ever get lost!

Frank,

Why not just pick up the phone and call Columbia your self?

Karen,

Naming a dealer and salesman whom gives out $50 finders fee is not self serving? Used to be more fun volleying back and forth insults 3 years ago, but censureship makes sense!
    Hey, Andrewtran, does your new Odyssey hesitate when accelerating hard or does it just kick butt. Toyotas are know for hesitation, I drove an IS300 and it hesitated when accelerating hard. It is normal, irritating but normal. The new Sienna will NOT beat an 03 Odyssey in a drag race, already did that on the highway. Have not driven one yet, but would like to. I'll call it the Odyssey clone. BTW, did you know that Toyota requires a 60,000 mile maintenance to clean the sludge out of the engine, if it's not done it will void the warranty!!! I was told this by a Nissan salesman, so I am asking is there is truth to this or not. Sounds fishy because Toyota's warranty is over at 60,000 miles. Any help there would be appreciated.
    It's amazing how my mind works, isn't it? :-)
    No I have not even seen the new Sienna in Oklahoma.
    This is how my mind works when comparing noise level: my wife's avalon, the top-of-the-line Toyota sedan, is not as quiet LS400; I think the noise level in the avalon is a little better than the Odyssey; the '03 Sienna sounds a little quieter than the Odyssey; the NAVI system in the Odyssey is much cooler and is worth a lot more to me than a little quieter interior that costs a lot more to buy; and you know what, even in my LS400, I can still hear some noise believe it or not. If the only difference is amenities, then how come the LX470 is more reliable than a Toyota Sequoia and the ES300 is more reliable than the Avalon or Camry? This is what I think: Toyota puts their best parts and best people on the Lexus line and the rest is on the regular Toyota line, which is still very good, but Lexus-good.

The Odyssey has no hesitation problems.
    The Odyssey, like all Hondas, is a performance vehicle, so you won't HEAR or feel any hesitation when going from zero to sixty.
    People should know that if you buy Toyotas, you shouldn't be accelerating that fast because Toyota is more interested in making their cars a little quieter than everyone else, not for speeding. So of course, like bearpamplin says, the Odyssey will kick the Sienna's butt in a drag race every time.
    Interesting about the 60K miles maintenance on Toyota. With the Odyssey, the first major tune up is 105K miles.
  • overtime1overtime1 Member Posts: 134
    Westboro Toyota. I bought their only 04 Sienna.
    $500 off MSRP. LE 7. Dunlop tires. This van was meant to be the show van

I just can't figure out dealers that sell their display vehicles. Don't they realize they'll sell more in the long run if they have a car for people to evaluate? Volvo just rocked with this and their XC90 release - go to almost any dealer and you can play around in and drive either engine type - they are NOT for sale. That is the way to go.

OT
    there is no known 60k miles tune up to clean the sludge. The sludge issue is a non starter as it has been addressed in subsequent models and for us who have the older model we are covered by a 8 yr unlimited warranty for sludge provided you do atleast 1 oil change a yr.
    Thanks for that info, I figured it was a Nissan issue to get to Toyota, it came from a salesman who went on a comparative ride & drive on the 04 Maxima, he said that was an issue on Toyotas. I really thought about it and figured it was a non-issue and the sludge was from motors from 1997-2002. The new vehicles have been fixed.

So Tran, if I give you $6000 off a vehicle and a play toy like Navi, you will forego the color and quietness? Isn't that how vehicles get sold. Substituting one thing for another. Yes Honda is about performance, Toyota is about luxery. Look at all the old people that drive Toyotas!!! Young people drive Hondas. Take a look next time out there on the road.
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    I work at a truck stop and the 2004's are arriving daily on their transports. As I type, there are several in front of me. They look really nice in person. Our family is test driving it this weekend.

BTW, people need to start posting exact price they paid vs. how much off sticker. Sticker can be anything these days.
    there is no known 60k miles tune up to clean the sludge. The sludge issue is a non starter as it has been addressed in subsequent models and for us who have the older model we are covered by a 8 yr unlimited warranty for sludge provided you do atleast 1 oil change a yr.
    Can anyone tell me if cloth interior will be available in the XLE model or only leather??
    Well, you lose a little quietness and that's it. But the $6,000 savings and the cool NAV somehow makes all that quietness issue gone in 60 seconds. I'll be completely honest here. I'm just as bad in justifying my buying decisions as the next guy. Sure if I were rich, I would buy the XLE Limited 2004 Sienna (seen in the Car & Driver magazine) with every single options on board and be happy to pay $45K for it. Then I would say, "hey, I bought it because it is so much quieter than the Odyssey. In fact, the noise is non-existant. It is as quiet as a tomb, quiet as a Lexus LS430. It is so quiet I can't even hear anyone scream if they did scream. The ride is so smooth, I can't even tell I'm driving; it feels like I'm sitting right here in my living room in my comfy LAZY-BOY watching a movie".
    But like you said, the issue about the noise is really mute to most of us. If we didn't try so hard to scrutinize, we wouldn't even notice the difference. As far as the color of the car, I got exactly the color I wanted on the Odyssey-Silver exterior with quartz interior. I went in there and said this is exactly what I wanted and sure enough I got what I wanted.
    You know what, I'm like you in that I love cars. Now that I bought the Odyssey, hey, you know what? I think it still looks better than the '04 Sienna on every view! The new Sienna still resembles the old Sienna on the looks in some ways. Don't you think? And the front grill on the Sienna sucks! Maybe it will look much better in person than on paper.
    So I guess I went with looks, features, and price on my buying decission.
    But if I had $45K spare change, if I were a millionaire, I would buy the XLE Limited because it's new and hot, even though the front grill really sucks. Oh, I just love the way Honda/Acura puts that HUGE shiny symbol on the Front grill, back, and STEERING wheel.
    In the end, peace to all, and you just can't go wrong with either the Sienna or Odyssey.
    Sorry if I offend anyone.
    Peace.
  • s1ginss1gins Member Posts: 51
    I am not sure why this number is thrown around for a Sienna. The Limited AWD MSRP is $37.4 with an invoice of $33.4. The only option right now includes the entertainment system for $1.5 and $1.2 respectively. The other option which will likely come on this vehicle is the NAV system which should work out to $2.1 and $1.8. Leading to at most an MSRP of $41.0 and an invoice price of $36.4. While I agree that $41 is a lot, I believe from what dealers are telling me that it will be sold closer to invoice if you have the fortitude to wait and bargain!
  • newcar35newcar35 Member Posts: 48
    XLE should be available in fabric seats. XLE limited model might be only leather.
  • olizerolizer Member Posts: 38
    Sometimes it amazes me what people believe. For example
    ..."BTW, did you know that Toyota requires a 60,000 mile maintenance to clean the sludge out of the engine, if it's not done it will void the warranty!!! I was told this by a Nissan salesman"...
    The same Nissan salesman told me that he will say anything to sell a Nissan or knock another brand.

..."The new Sienna will NOT beat an 03 Odyssey in a drag race"....
    Who cares? If I want a dragster, I'll buy a dragster.

..."The Odyssey, like all Hondas, is a performance vehicle"...
    No it's not; it's a m-i-n-i-v-a-n. Don't be embarressed; minivans are much more practical than SUVs; they're just not as popular.
  • alaskadiveralaskadiver Member Posts: 6
    I've been reading these boards and one thing I don't really understand is the obsession with expensive NAV systems and why that would be a factor at all when deciding between Toyota and Honda.

Where are you guys driving that you need a NAV system? I'm guessing that 98% of my driving is commuting between work, preschool, the mall, the grocery store etc. on streets that I've traveled thousands of times before and to places I can find in my sleep. I live in a city where I only have to read an address once to know where a place is. Out of town trips are usually long drives on the freeway to visit family. Although I can see where a NAV system might be a neat toy, it's not even a minor factor in my purchase decision.

If/when I plan a major trip across the country I might consider dropping $700 on a Garmin Streetpilot or other similar auto-GPS that I can take out and put in any car.

I also suspect that the aftermarket options for NAV systems is only going to keep growing and the units will only keep getting more sophisticated and keep coming down in price. I've already seen aftermarket DVD players that blow away what Toyota offers and cost less to boot. Seems like the same economies would apply to NAV systems as well.
  • pdfspdfs Member Posts: 19
    I went to a dealer today and saw XLE w/ leather. Here are some of my impression.

It seems that the leather quality is much lower than the leather in 03 & before models. The center console is quite nice.

The step-in height is higher than ODY, so a running board will be helpful for small kids & elderly. But the look is sharper w/o RB.

The third row seat is quite flimsy. The space behind 3rd row seat is quite big.

Floor mat is an option, which costs $200!

Overall, I don't think 04 Sienna is that much better than 03 Ody. In order to achieve the aggressive sales goal (130~150K per year), Toyota has to be quite aggressive in pricing. I think the price will come down very soon, especially for the high end trims.
    Standard with leather. The one I saw yesterday was an XLE. Leather was part of an options package (total cost about 2.2K I think, but done't remember what else was in it).

• rootwahrootwah Member Posts: 4
    I have inquired thoroughly with dealers in St Louis regarding a test drive, and no one seems to have any at this point -- also, prices quoted have been MSRP...however, a dealer outside St Louis quoted me $1000 off MSRP as a flat rate on any Sienna they get in stock...the more interesting fact though is how the prices of Odysseys have plummeted around here...i was quoted $27,200 for an EX-L ($1700 off MSRP) with no questions asked...

My question: can anyone clarify the color difference between Aspen Green and Phantom Gray on the Sienna? I have seen numerous Nissan Altimas in a toupe-like color that i really like -- is Aspen Green close to this on the Toyotas?
    meant to say the XLE was standard with cloth.

• alaskadiveralaskadiver Member Posts: 6
    Neither are anything close to taupe. You can see both colors on the 2003 Camry on the Toyota web site: www.toyota.com

Find the link to the 2003 Camry and click on the "photos +360" link to bring up the color selector that will let you paint the car in either color.
  • besentebesente Member Posts: 1
    hello folks,

Im new here and was wondering if anyone can fill me in on the sludge issue for the sienna? thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    tmsusa1 "Engine Sludge/Oil Gelling--Toyota's Customer Response" May 3, 2002 5:17pm

It's a non-issue with the newer models, imho.

Steve, Host
  • hst1hst1 Member Posts: 17
    What is a fleet dealership? What is the difference between this and a regular dealership? Are there any in PA?
  • spooky04spooky04 Member Posts: 4
    Shopped for an internet deal and got lucky with a dealership who were just conducting business as usual (didn't know they had the hottest van). Silver LE, 7-passenger, FE, BW, Z1, and WH for $26,900. Picked it up tonight. L-O-V-E IT.

Most dealerships I contacted in the DC area were asking MSRP but a couple were $400 - $500 below MSRP. Hope this helps.
  • unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    In earlier discussions, comments were made concerning the merits of Lexus-like quietness vs. Toyota-like utility/economy. I think that there should be economical vans on one hand, true luxury vans (which do not exist)on the other, and many vans in between. Such a selection would permit everyone to find their ideal van.

If they made a Lexus minivan that would work for us, I would buy it right away. I want the super-quietness, the likely better stereo, higher-grade options, and better service treatment. I do wish that Lexus would build such a van. However, the pending Grand Sport Tourer will probably prevent any consideration of a Lexus minivan.

We will probably have to get a 2003 XLE due to the folding 3rd row seats in the 2004. :-( The Rampvan conversion would not work well for us; a hoist-type wheelchair lift must be installed. The flat floor of the 2003 allows for easier installation of the lift. Installation in the 2004 must be done through the back of the third row. Since the third row seats would remain, the van would be unable to carry 2 power wheelchairs (due to weight). I am planning to drive a 2004 on Saturday, but I am not hopeful at all.

A Lexus minivan with a flat floor would be ideal... for us. It might not be ideal for others.
  • samnoesamnoe Member Posts: 731
    Sorry for the unimporatnt question: Can somebody explain me why all Toyota's offer a boring dated remote fuel door release? Every time you stop for gas, you search for a hidden button and press it! Why? Most other brands stopped already this non-feature. Is it a safety issue? or something else I'm missing? Thanx.

BTW, The new Sienna offers just 20.0 Gallon fuel tank, which is one of the smallest in group, despite the good overall mileage.
    Can anyone tell me if the cloth interior in the XLE will be any different then the cloth interior in the LE Sienna?? And has anyone seen an XLE with cloth interior? If so, what was your impression of the material??
  • impact01impact01 Member Posts: 95
    Remote fuel door releases is one of the features that I look for in cars. I assume Hondas' have this feature too. My reason is that, this is a simple deterrant for run of the mill vandalism.

Also, DC and Honda don't they all have 20 Gallon tank?. Only GM triplets have 25 Gallon tanks I think.
  • johneevojohneevo Member Posts: 3
    I believe the remote fuel door release is left over from the 70's fuel shortage. It was a way to lock you fuel tank so that people couldn't steal your gas.

I prefer the remote fuel door release. Maybe I am just vain but I think of it as a luxury item. My cheapo (and oft recalled) Focus doesn't have the remote fuel release but my wife's Passat Wagon does.

I with the Gulf War pending and the prices of gas going up, it might turn out to be a good thing to have the remote fuel release.

Why do you think it's boring? I do agree it can be a hassle to search for the button, but that might be because I don't drive the car all the time.

BTW - a quick search of competing minivans showed to a 20 gallon tank is pretty standard not on the low end. Eg. the Odyessy, Villager, Grand Caravan, only the Windstar had a larger tank.