Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Future Models

Comments

• Options
    insideinside Member Posts: 1
    the new Sienna will be FWD or AWD, 18' longer than the current model and it will be sitting on the same frame that the Tundra and Sequoia are on ( I know this from talking to some of the contractors that installed the new Sienna equipment at TMMI (I work at TMMK, on line 2 (Sienna + Camry line)))
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    Are you sure its 18" longer. It would be more like 8". if its 18" longer then they will redesign it within an yr!!!
  • Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    18" longer - wouldn't that make it a foot longer than the Odyssey. Way to huge for me!
  • Options
    ash21ash21 Member Posts: 10
    Deepan: What do you mean by "they will redesign it within a year".
  • Options
    well that was a tongue and cheek comment. my point was the size of a Grand caravan (~200") was the ideal size and ford, chevy and Honda followed. Why would toyota extend it by another 10" or so and test a new market. They know the odyssey is selling like hot cakes and followed them by designing the magic seat with split so IMHO it would be around 200".
  • Options
    markum1markum1 Member Posts: 3
    We're currently in the market looking for a Minivan. Love the Toyota but its not big enough at 192". The Honda is 200" and even thats a little small. Five month wait does'nt excite me either.

So can anybody clarify the length ??? An extra 18" makes it 210" long ????? Not the 200" that the Honda is currently. I'd be interested in the extra length. We're looking for a Minivan to cart 3 giant (130 lb) dogs in and the extra length would be great. How wide ????

I've also seen pictures of the proposed 2004 Nissan Quest. Very nice exterior styling....it's not just a box on wheels. Any news on the exterior styling?
  • Options
    mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    >the new Sienna will be FWD or AWD, 18' longer than the current model and it will be sitting on the same frame that the Tundra and Sequoia

I haven't read anything that it will be a body on frame design. I think you mean it will be built at the same factory as Tundra and Sequoia due to the length of the vehicle.
  • Options
    I highly doubt Toyota will make the new Sienna 18" longer, or 210". It would get much heavier, and any extra hp from the larger engine would be wasted carrying the extra weight around. It would not be a minivan anymore. Remember a full sized Ford van is 212 inches long.

If Toyota had two vans (would be nice after all they have 5 SUV's) they might make one of them that large, but not as their only van.

My perfect Toyota van would be slightly smaller than the Sienna with The 2.4 l 4-cyl engine and a manual transmission (Tall Camry Wagon). It would be perfect for my needs since I just use the car to go places, and don't drag race or tow anything. I can garuntee Toyota will never build that.
  • Options
    marjokermarjoker Member Posts: 10
    A much larger Sienna would be longer than Ford Econoline but with less interior space due to lower height.
    Why not have 2 minivans since Toyota already has 5 SUV's of various sizes?
    A "tall" Camry wagon would be nice but Honda tried it with the first Oddysey which did not sell well here.
    If they did adopt your suggestion of a tall Camry wagon, why not have 3 Toyota minivans:
    #1. Tall Camry wagon.
    #2. Keep current Sienna size.
    #3. Have larger Odyssey size with the fold into the floor rear seat.
    Toyota has been very successful with many sedan sizes, many SUV sizes, and 2 sizes pickups with various configurations.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    That's called the Highlander.
  • Options
    marjokermarjoker Member Posts: 10
    Dudleyr wrote about a perfect Toyota Van that would be slightly smaller than the Sienna with a 2.4L 4-cyl engine and a manual transmission (Tall Camry Wagon).
    Edmunds and Toyota call the Highlander an "SUV". The Highlander is perfect for many.
    I think dudleyr's idea of a perfect Toyota Van would be perfect for many others and would similar to the Higlander, but have 3 row of seats and would be a more economical "van".
  • Options
    Yes the Highlander is close, but it lacks the third row of seats, and even in front wheel drive 4-cyl form only gets 27 highway mph to the 32-33 of the Camry. It is also not nearly as nimble as a Camry.
  • Options
    anjancdanjancd Member Posts: 16
    I will be looking for a minivan next year, and would like to wait for the new toyota.

I believe since the 3.0 litre engine is being replaced by a 3.3 litre (2004 ES330, RX330), this engine might go into the sienna, with maybe, around 235hp (up from 210). On the other hand, if it is going to be 18" longer, this engine will not be sufficient...

Any more new news/pictures?

-acd
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    and nothing was said about it being 18" longer.
  • Options
    Does anyone know whether this feature is offered
  • Options
    jci1jci1 Member Posts: 34
    According to Auto Week, 10-07-02 issue...

"A redesigned '04 (Sienna) model will be bigger, with all-wheel drive and maybe a 3.5 liter V6..."

I'm not sure about the accuracy, but I thought I'd pass it on!
  • Options
    warfamilywarfamily Member Posts: 1
    Is there anymore info on the length of the new Sienna. 18" or 8" longer. I have been waiting over a year for the new model, but 18" longer will not fit in my garage.
  • Options
    wayside1wayside1 Member Posts: 36
    Current Sienna: 194.2 inches long

Oddessy: 201.2
    Chysler T+C: 200.6
    Windstar: 201.5
    Grand Caravan: 200.5

Current Sienna + 8": 202.2

Ford Econoline Cargo van: 211.9
    Current Sienna + 18": 212.2

I would find it hard to believe that Toyota would go almost a foot bigger than any other minivan on the market, and be in the full-size van size range with a minivan.

I'd bet lunch that the new Sienna will be within an inch or two of all the other minivans.
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Let's see...my 2000 Sienna, when the garage door is closed, clears by 9".
    If I purchased the '04 model I would have to clean out the back of the garage.
    That would be a serious purchase detriment in my case....!
  • Options
    toyotakentoyotaken Member Posts: 897
    From my understanding, and this may be dated, the new ('04) Sienna is supposed to be built in the indiana facility with the Sequoia and Tundra to accomidate its larger dimentions. It will be using a version of the 4.0L V6 that will be coming out in the 4-Runner in December. This engine will be the foundation for most of the V-6 models in Toyota's linup just like the 3.0L is now. It is tenatively going to be rated at about 240-245 HP. A 5-sp automatic transmission is still up for debate. I have not heard specific information about length, but I will keep you informed as I get updates.
  • Options
    In December, production of the current Sienna will end in Georgetown. It will then move to Indiana. If as in previous years, the Sienna should share the same basic engine V6 used in the Camry, Avalon, and Lexus models. The new V6 that will be used in these models is a 3.3L V6. However, because of the Sienna's size, it could use the new V6 for the 4Runner.
  • Options
    sbrandonsbrandon Member Posts: 24
  • Options
    That looks pretty nice for a minivan. I especially like the normal rear doors. I kind of doubt that it will be what we get though, unless Toyota does indeed have two versions, a short wheelbase with regular doors, and a long wheelbase with sliders. Now if the smaller one just had the 4-cylinder engine from the Camry I would be all set.
  • Options
    sbrandonsbrandon Member Posts: 24
    There is some question as to the accuracy of the photo. Please take it with a grain, or two...The original link was in the Sienna forum and I may have been hasty in spreading it here - mea culpa!
  • Options
    ceo1ceo1 Member Posts: 23
    In the current Minivan, Totyota and Chrysler are the only two with comfortable third row that is able to lean back. I am keeping my finger crossed that 2004 Sienna will also have that because it is the main reason that I did not buy Oddessey or MPV.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I like the snazzy looks on the Sienna. It looks great in green. Only problem is the doors out back. Makes it look like a station wagon. Actually, if they offered sliding doors as an option it would be a lot easier to sell to some families like mine.
  • Options
    a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Although that photo might be a Photoshop, it fits pretty well with the previous spy photos: the huge triangular headlamps; the tall, square rear end, etc. If I were trying to "undisguise" one of the spy pics, I'd come up with something about like that. It's probably no worse than the computer enhanced spy photos that you see in Motor Trend.

-Andrew L
  • Options
    Looking like a station wagon is a good thing!
  • Options
    The body looks way too small to be bigger than the current Sienna.
  • Options
    diploiddiploid Member Posts: 2,286
    The text does say that the pic is of the sporty model, and that a longer wheelbase version will be available.

Pic looks real to me. Vince's page has some obvious photochopped pics, but this is one of the authentic ones (he's actually been correct with some of the pics in the past).
  • Options
    If a longer wheelbase is available, it's very possible that is the new Sienna. Its front matches the front of a Sienna in a spy pic.
  • Options
    From thehollywoodextra.com site, the rear resembles the Toyota Matrix a lot.

At least, it's not so much boxy looking as the odyssey.
  • Options
    steveb84steveb84 Member Posts: 187
    2004 Sienna will be available in three trim levels CE, LE, XLE. There are also models that will feature an "eighth seat" that is smaller, targeted at children.

AWD will be available in the LE and XLE trims but it is expensive and comes with 100 mile run-flat tires.

An XLE Limited will also be offered featuring things such as laser cruise control, sonar alert system and much more, basically a "Lexus" van.

Hope that helps out.
  • Options
    From thehollywoodextra.com site, the rear resembles the Toyota Matrix a lot.

At least, it's not so much boxy looking as the odyssey.
  • Options
    mgflmgfl Member Posts: 11
    http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie_j.html

Translation says this is a Stream. (Click on hyperlink above photo to go to 2002/10 page).

Click on the first double blue arrow to go to the 2002/9 page. Top picture is a Sienna, but it's less clear than that on Edmunds already...
  • Options
    Yeah, it looks vastly different than the edmunds.com spy shot...I think the edmunds spy shot resembles one of the Chrysler vans...

I hope there is really a long wheelbase version with a powerful engine.
  • Options
    unc8185unc8185 Member Posts: 33
    A previous post mentioned the upcoming XLE Limited as a "Lexus" van. I wish that Lexus, Mercedes, or BMW would truly offer such a luxury van. Far too often luxury in minivans is equated to video system or child-oriented options. LS430-level quality and options are just not available. I must drive a minivan due to my wife's wheelchair and scooter.

Our 2000 Toyota Sienna XLE is nice. But it lacks a glove box light or a power passenger seat. The stereo is pathetic. The drive is nice, but the amenities are just not up to luxury standards. I worry that the 2004 XLE Limited will be similarly equipped.

Mercedes had designed a luxury minivan, but their merger with Chrysler led to abandonment of this project. This was in lieu of the Chrysler vans. I think that there is a market for empty nesters and others who need a minivan for reasons other than children.

Thanks, Seb
  • Options
    mjxremymjxremy Member Posts: 1
    i happen to believe that the van on the hollywood extra is a fake. if you relaly pay attention the headlights look like bloated celica lights with black housing. the body is a 1998-2003 sienna. the back i s a matrix. lights could be possibly a highlander. and theres lots of blurs in it. and the front hood looks ike a celica with a TRD kit. id have to admit that it still looks pretty cool for a van. just dont understand why people waste time doing that though. i find that life has many other things to offer than just making a bunch of fake cars.

odd.
  • Options
    agie2agie2 Member Posts: 1
    You know what odyssey is better than sienna. Because odyssey ihas 240 hp and odyssey is longer than sienna. Sienna is rotten. It should be phased out by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Should dodge eliminate the regular version of their caravan seeing as they have the grand caravan which is larger and has larger engines available? Should all truck manufacturers eliminate their regular cab, 2wheel drive, short box models with smaller engines because they have exended cab, or even quad-cab models with long beds and HUGE engines? Each person has different needs for size and horsepower.

Or even better, should shoe manufacturers eliminate shoe sizes smaller than 16 because, you know what, you could stuff your size 16 shoes with tissue to fit your size 9 feet.

Not trying to flame here, but just illustrating a point.
  • Options
    That's a good argument against a sophistry.
  • Options
    casamscasams Member Posts: 8
    Does anyone know when the 04 will be out? And, when will there be info available on it. It seems odd that there is absolutely no info out about it. Especially if it is do out in early 03. If I can find out what it will be like and like it I will wait for it, otherwise I am going to buy an Odyssey if it takes much longer.
  • Options
    The Odyssey should be redesigned for 2004 too shouldn't it?
  • Options
    tvmountaintvmountain Member Posts: 12
    E.T. prefers this mini-van over his previous bike.
  • Options
    For Toyota not to advertise info about their upcoming model isn't odd. That's pretty normal for them. Often information isn't available until a week or two before they start hitting dealership lots. As for information on it, read the posts previous to these and you'll get an idea of the information that is available.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    I assure you, without a doubt, that the picture shown is not the 2004 Sienna. Trust me.
  • Options
    I didn't say that the picture was accurate, just that the little bit of information that Toyota IS willing to give out is listed in earlier posts.
  • Options
    groggy60groggy60 Member Posts: 5
    On the other board it was explained that it is a new Sienna model in Europe. Same name, different vehicle for a different market.

Notice the door handles are not sliding doors, not a North American mini-van.
  • Options
    rayrockrayrock Member Posts: 14
    mini vans make so much more sense than SUV's- more room, better ride, handling, and fuel economy.But,if toyota wants MY 30k, it better be bigger,AWD available, and ace the crash tests.what the heck, throw in memory seats. if it takes a lexus label to do it fine. chrysler sell all its T&C's and I can't wait till mercedes gets the nerve to send its vans over here (the sprinter is too much a work truck)