Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• pmuscepmusce Member Posts: 132
    Beefing up a frame and adding mass is the easy way out. There was nothing in the article about adding cost. Having a seperate frame for the pickups is more costly. So what do you suppose the Engineers were supposed to be told to do. Build a better frame and don't worry about weight and fuel economy? You have no clue how auto companies work if you think marketing runs auto companies. Do you think Toyota designed their frame without parameters or weight, cost and fuel economy goals?
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Again, I think this goes to my comments earlier, the logic used here by people supporting the Silverado is completely flawed. The point of something being "better" is that it ACTUALLY does better. If I can produce a 3.2L engine that creates 500hp and 750 lbs of torque and is more solidly built then an engine twice as large, nobody is going to convince me that the "larger" engine is better simply because it takes up more space.
    We've gone over a 1000 posts here and I have yet not read any actual physical performance or capability numbers that the Silverado beats the Tundra on save one or two configurations. About the only thing that is legitimate is that base configurations are cheaper; but they also lack a lot of the equipment that comes standard with the Tundra.
    I think that what is happening is that, like cars, people have bought Silverados, Sierras, F150s, and RAM 1500s because up until a few years ago there was really no practical choice for a full-size truck. These are people that have had generations buy from the same dealer and just LOOKING at something else is a sin unto itself. The result? GM, Ford, and Dodge simply settled into their niche markets and have been content to do small incremental changes to each vehicle to outdo the next, but knowing nonetheless that in the end it wouldn't affect sales much.
    Look at the history of those trucks... Ford has been #1 forever, Chevy #2, GMC #3 (sometimes #2 and #3 would swap, but rarely), and Dodge #4. Thirty years people.
    jreagan is right when there is a "history" here with GM. But unfortunately convincing him that the Tundra is a better overall truck then the Silverado is next to impossible. He is loyal to GM and furthermore he has a Sierra, so there is no reason for him to think otherwise. And constantly posting numbers that exceed the Silverados does nothing except relegate the posts to "intangible" or subjective benefits such as the interior or frame talk. Fact is on all other relevant specifications the Tundra rules. When it comes to safety Toyota has proven itself over and over again. The Tundra leads in power, speed, capability, and even rear-seat room and interior features and amenities.
    But by the logic that some posters are displaying here, they're saying that this needs to be a full-size and "real" truck. So, the Tundra does better then the Silverado on almost every aspect of what a truck is and the argument goes that towing, payload, power, acceleration, braking, safety, handling, etc. are not important (you see because the Tundra is better at this), but hey... we have a FBF all the way through or those things can be trumped by the Silverado 1 ton. Well "d'uh", we're not comparing 1 ton trucks. And to those that somehow think that a FBF frame is even needed for those, most 3/4 and 1 ton trucks never had them and some still don't have them today. They did well in the past, nothing wrong with that. FBF ads "vertical" strength and rigidity.
    Nobody is saying that the Silverado is a bad truck. It is an excellent truck, but if you're going to claim "best" you have to be #1, you can't be middle of the pack. That means that all the things that people equate with being a truck and helping them do the things that they need in a truck are important. The Tundra has way more #1s in its column than the Silverado, no question. In areas that are subjective or provide some undetectable benefit, one can come to their own conclusions. Heck, I can argue that there is no grab bar on the driver's side of the Silverado and what the heck kind of truck is that? Dumb argument to make for sure, but I still bet that you would notice that a lot more on a daily basis then whether you had a FBF in your truck...
    I hate to disagree with you here pmusce, but though marketing does not "run" engineering, they have about as much say in the vehicle that engineers do, they just don't have the technical design knowledge to produce it. But if you don't think that marketing puts restrictions on vehicles or determines how certain areas of a vehicle is to be built, then you're living in wonderland. If engineers were the sole deciders in building vehicles, we wouldn't be having this discussion right now... we'd be driving vehicles that are a lot better and a lot more expensive then what we have now. Marketing makes many of the requirements for a vehicle; engineering provides several implementations of the specifications to meet them and ultimately the two department heads and management decide on what to do and make adjustments here and there. That is a VERY simplified view, but just because marketing asks for something doesn't mean it won't be done. In most cases, if it can be done, it WILL be done, but there are often dozens of different ways to do it. Aside from physical safety, and design decisions, engineering has little leeway in determining the ultimate fate of a design.
    I'm not saying that GM is required to do this in one year (though they could). What I'm saying is that they KNEW about their need a lot earlier -- its not like this was a last second decision. There is no incentive to kill themselves to rapidly produce a 6-speed transmission when they can get a price premium by offering it in more expensive vehicles first and then bring it down the lines. Most companies do this with their luxury brands... no biggie! It was a marketing/management decision. Not many people take well to the idea of a cheaper vehicle from the same manufacturer having more in it then their luxury brand...
    jreagan,
    Not sure how this particular post got going, but you are correct; GM sells way more trucks than Toyota. I think that what kdhspyder was saying was that on a per dealership basis, Toyota outsells GM and he is right on that count. There are many more GM dealerships then Toyota dealerships. As a result they can sell their vehicles for less based on the volume the dealership moves. GMs advantage in volume is at the plant. At the dealership, there isn't as much room to maneuver because there is more of a propensity to competing with other GM dealers then in Toyota dealership's case. That is why there are more factory incentives from GM, they get their economies of scale from manufacturing, but the dealership itself has to consider how many vehicles they can sell that month and determine their cut. If they sell 1/2 as much per dealership as a Toyota dealership, then theoretically (all things being equal) they'll need to make twice as much per vehicle then Toyota.
    But again, its theory and you're right on this one... GM gives bigger discounts. But I would disagree with you on the "afford" aspect of it. If GM could really continue to "afford" to do this, they wouldn't have lost more than $10B last year. I think the situation was more that they had to do it to get vehicles off the lots because it prevented them from a much greater loss. Unfortunately Toyota can afford to discount significantly, but they won't do it. The only benefit is that large Toyota dealerships can (individual results will vary) discount more at the dealership if they really wanted to, they just don't do it. Their inventory management systems are much more controlled. So, realistically, none of us is going to get any kind of great deal from them. That is why I asked if you think that I could get a decent deal on the Denali. The reason being is that typically higher-end vehicles come with little in incentives (since their attitude is that if you can afford to buy it, you shouldn't have to try to get a discount).
    Getting a great deal on ANY vehicle is fantastic and I commend you on the great deal that you got! I believe that the only reason for anyone to ever worry about depreciation is if you won't keep the vehicle for more than 3 years. With few exceptions, that is unheard of in the truck buyer's market -- virtually everyone I know drives their trucks a lot longer then their cars and certainly even 10 years is hardly anything.
    So, let me know what kind of discount you think I can expect on a Denali. I doubt it will be as good as on the Silverado, but I'm a little concerned because a loaded Denali is looking like it may be closer to, if not cross the $50K threshold...
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    As I noted before I was a sole supplier of steel to all three back in the 80's and 90's. I am aware of how it works. And it is often the Marketing that decides what has to be done to remain competitive.

Just think this through. Until Sept 2006 GM never used f-b-f. Suddenly for the GMT900's they decide to do it.

Where did the genesis of this idea come from. Seriously did an engineer wake up one morning? Did Management look at the F150 and say 'We cant let them get an advantage on us'. Where did the idea come from since they never did it before?

If you've never been in a typical Marketing/Engineering/Accounting meeting then you've never seen how Marketing wants everything - damn the cost. Engineering can build whatever is needed - but it's going to be costly. Accounting/Management doesn't want to spend any money ( or as little as possible ) to do it. Finally a compromise is reached.
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Toyota knows what the competition has. Their cards are on the table.

Does anyone think Toyota hasn't torn apart several F-150s? That they don't know the pros and cons of fully-boxed frames?

The Ram has the lowest capacities in the class, and it's fully boxed.

C&D chastised the Titan's shaky structure. Isn't it fully boxed?

All of these trucks, and makers, have checks and balances.

Some people still bring up gap tolerances on the Tundra. Toyota virtually coined the phrase when Lexus was conceived. They know the gap tolerances for every vehicle in the class.

Maybe Toyota uses a higher grade of steel?

My bet is this all comes down to design and execution. Is the fully-boxed frame the end of truck evolution? Maybe. Maybe not. This wasn't an oversight by Toyota.

If you can't execute, it doesn't matter what your design is.

Believe Toyota towed 12,000 lb trailers for millions of miles before giving the truck a 10k tow rating.

DrFill
    belias, Marketing does not have any say in how vehicles are designed. I'm thinking when you sat Marketing, you mean beancounters or upper management. These people certainly do but they are not marketing. Marketing departments do not control budgets. I do understand that engineering does not make sole decisions on products.
    Where your argument falls through is that is was MORE expensive for GM to go with a fully boxed frame since this meant a different frame than the GMT900 SUV's. I'm sure if the Accountants had their say, the frames would have been the same. I believe this is a case where the engineers won.
    There is no excuse for the large gap tolerances on the Tundra. Higher grade of steel? Give me a break. I've read on these forums how great Lexus is because of the gap tolerances they have. GM has upped the standard with respect to gap tolerances in the full size truck market and you can't bring yourself to acknowledge that.
    I think there is a little misunderstanding here. Let me clarify. Marketing typically gathers information about what the market actually wants to see in a vehicle. They also collect information on test groups in terms of their reactions to certain designs, features, etc. When they have a particular "package" in place, they bring it to management and engineering. In essence, they produce a requirements document. Engineering can fulfill those requirements in literally dozens of different ways. Yes, upper management obviously has the final say in budgeting, but marketing also determines what prices customers are willing to accept and the kind of tolerance they have for it (price sensitivity). There are actuaries that make calculations based on different pricing models.
    Ultimately a particular package comes together. The reason why 99% of the concept vehicles are scaled down so much in production (if any of them actually make it that far) has less to do with engineering than it does with marketing and upper management. I was just trying to clarify that engineering certainly has little to say about the final outcome... they're producing to meet a set of requirements, not producing "freely" and trying to fit that into the market. There are instances where they bring many different innovations, but ultimately it is other groups that help determine the final outcome.
    pmusce, yes GM has done much better with gap tolerances, but Toyota's situation is completely different. First off, there is hardly a company that is better at this then they are; they've proved it handily on a number of their vehicles. Secondly, they themselves stated that gap tolerances were higher because in their research it amounted to the perceived notion of being tougher. Third, unlike other manufacturers, they made the assertion themselves; this was not discovered by somebody that had a bone to pick. Other manufacturers simply could not do it as well as Toyota. They are getting much better though. So, it isn't as if this is Toyota not capable of making very tight gaps... it is simply a decision they made based on their research.
    belias,

I agree with this explanation completely. This was not what you originaly posted or implied with respect to why GM used a fully boxed frame.
    If you actually believe that they have larger tolerancs because marketing research says its percieved to be tougher, you go ahead and believe that. Do you think it makes the a truck look tough to have large tolerances? I think tighter tolerances look better on all vehicles, but then again I was not part of Toyota's 'market research'.
    I'm not saying that I believe the truck actually "looks" tougher. I'm saying that Toyota came out and said that as an explanation -- we may not even be broaching the subject if they didn't mention it. Personally, I like tight gap tolerances. I have no idea if it would look as tough or not without them. But that is the explanation Toyota gave.
    Did you mean what kdhspyder wrote about that? I only commented on how design is determined... I don't recall specifically talking about how GM came to do a FBF.
    Marketing is NOT beancounters at all. Marketing is the 'artistic' sales-oriented part of the business.
    Marketing includes
    ..those who do comparo's between the vehicles ( like here );
    ..those that look at the pricing differences to make sure one is not too high ( lost sales ) or too low ( lost profit );
    ..those who go out into the public and ask questions about what the user wants in a vehicle;
    ..those that do demographic studies about where trucks are sold, what kind of hobbies the owners have, how much is spent on accessories, what the trade-ins are, etc
    ..those that look up governmental regulations, CAFE, towing, taxes, etc

Marketing puts all this together and makes a presentation to the Marketing Management with a profile ( or multiple profiles ) of what a truck owner is like. Then they make a presentation about what the competition is like; i.e. all the competitors advantages and disadvantages. Then they make an estimate about what volume could be sold and from which competitor they will take volume. Then they make a recommendation about what the new vehicle should be like. Normally they want a vehicle that has everything in it and no increase in price.

If they can get this vehicle they will 'eat the competition alive'.

Marketing Management tones down this because they know when they present this proposal for the 2012 Silvy or Tundra to Top Management that Accounting ( beancounters ) or Engineering will either laugh at them or simply say 'NO, this cannot be done'.

It is marketing that 'creates' the next vehicle at least as a concept. Once the new vehicle is agreed upon then the general 'concept' is given to the designers and engineers to actually do it.
    This is the key phrase from my post....Finally a compromise is reached.

You misunderstand the term Marketing I think. Engineering doesn't care one way or the other because they aren't charged with selling the vehicles. Marketing is. I am certain that the impetus for putting in this stronger frame came from Marketing because they didn't want the new T900 to look bad vis-a-vis the F150.

Again I ask where do you think the idea came from? And then why suddenly in 2006, not earlier?
    I think we just disagree as to how much influence marketing has on product decisions. Lets just leave it at that. As to why not earlier than 2006?. Well the last new pickup (GTM800) came out in the 1999 model year, the one before that (C/K) in 1988. Again, there is no use arguing about the benefits of a fully boxed frame because you are convinced its not a benefit just because Toyota does not have it on the Tundra. When the next Tundra has it, we won't have anything to discuss. It will be interesting to see if the HD Tundra's have a fully boxed frame when they come out.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "Again, there is no use arguing about the benefits of a fully boxed frame because you are convinced its not a benefit just because Toyota does not have it on the Tundra."

I don't want to answer for kdhspyder but.....

Frame strength is dependent on a large set of variables:

Grade of steel
    Thickness of steel
    Ratio of dimensions of the member (height x width)
    Number/type of welds
    Number/type/dimensions of cross pieces
    Number and placement of either lightening holes or mounting holes
    Method used to form the steel members
    etc. etc. etc.

The pro-GM faction is locking on to a SINGLE variable (full box section vs. C-channel) and (apparently) ASSUMING that every single other variable is either unimportant or identical between the vehicles.

Is there any real DATA that indicates the GM frame is stronger? Stronger is what areas (torsion? bending?).

Hey guys, a SOLID steel member would be even stronger than a fully boxed section. How come we don't see solid steel sections? Answer: because solid sections are unnessary to achieve the required design strength and would impose unnessary penalties with regards to weight and cost. Engineering is used to determine the best method of achieving design parameters at the lowest weight/cost.

And if Toyota's engineers were able to achieve their design parameters using open C-sections in some locations (and fully-boxed sections in others), are any of you actually QUALIFIED to say otherwise?

edit:

Something else to consider - conventional wisdom says a 6.0l motor is stronger (in both hp and torque) than a 5.7l motor. And, IF ALL ELSE WAS EQUAL, such would be the case. Yet I think it's pretty clear that the 5.7l motor in the Tundra is NOT weaker than the 6.0 in the Silverado. So why the assumption that the fully boxed section frame on the Silverado is stronger than the frame on the Tundra?
  • blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    Dr.Fill, I knew you were sub-human, maybe from a different planet.

We go way back, and you know that I respect you as a poster. But let's check the accolades list since you decided to go there.

The top publications have all endorsed the Silverado with their top awards. The Tundra has won some notable, but albeit minor, awards in comparison.

As to the boxed/closed section frame, a fully-boxed-frame adds structural intergrity to the truck. I guess none of you have ever built house and used a closed-section flooring and roofing. It's like a cloth top covertible car, without the roof on, the structure will shake to some degree. The vibrations and shakes associated with Ford and some 4WD-equipped Rams has nothing to do with the frames. Dodge knows it's the driveshafts in the Rams, and Ford now says it's the transmission that gives offs resonances with the F-150.

And as to the Ram, again, why pick on the oldest design in the segment to prove a point? Yes the towing is lacking compared with 6 m/y newer trucks. The '06 Toyota Tundra is out-towed by an '07 Dodge Dakota for comparison.

And on panel gaps? They're getting wider by the minute at Toyota. Oh sure, it lets more air in. It looks more dated than a '79 Oldmobile. And it adds ruggedness!!! Please take that baloney somewhere else to folks that are listening.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    The pro-GM faction is locking on to a SINGLE variable (full box section vs. C-channel) and (apparently) ASSUMING that every single other variable is either unimportant or identical between the vehicles.

Is there any real DATA that indicates the GM frame is stronger? Stronger is what areas (torsion? bending?).

While I think this is really a non issue as I dont expect either truck to have any frame issues, but if you really want to start splitting hairs over it, I think the fact that toyota acknowledges that f-b-f must be stronger otherwise why would they include it in the areas of the frame that see the most twisting and torsional loads? If the open "c" frame was superior, or even equal for that matter, than why not use it all the way back to front?
  • titancrewtitancrew Member Posts: 17
    Since no one has really answer the question why a Fully-Boxed-Frame (FBF) is better than an open channel (C-channel Frame), I’ll give it try. Or at least explain the advantages and disadvantage of C-channel frames and FBF. Since I don’t know the dimensions of the Tundra’s frame or the Silverado/Sierra’s frame, I’ll use standard AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) shapes as examples. So…is a FBF stronger than a C-channel? Bending and torsional strength or stiffness are usually the two criteria that manufacturers like mention when comparing a new vehicle’s frame or body structure to its predecessor. Let’s examine bending or vertical loads. Common sense tells us that a FBF should be stiffer than a C-channel frame given that they both have the same depth or height, width, and thickness. But let’s examine the numbers to see if it is stiffer and by how much. For example, let’s compare a C6x10.5 C-channel to an HSS6x2x5/16 rectangular section (Both can be found in the AISC Manual of Steel Construction). I chose theses two because they are similar with regards to external dimensions. A C6x10.5 section has a depth of 6.0 inches, a width of 2.03 inches, web thickness of 0.314 inch, flange thickness of 0.343 inch (the flange is actually at a slope but it’ll suffice for this discussion), and weighs 10.5 lbs/ft. An HSS6x2x5/16 has a depth of 6.0 inches, a width of 2.0 inches, a wall thickness of 0.291 or ~5/16 inch, and weighs 14.8 lbs/ft. These are published NOMINAL dimensions by the way. The section property that measures how stiff a section is in bending is its Area Moment of Inertia (not to be confused with Mass Moment of Inertia for all you ME’s out there) normally represented by an “I”. The bigger the “I”, the more load it can carry before being overstressed. The Moment of Inertia for a C6x10.5 is 15.1 in^4. The Moment of Inertia for an HSS6x2x5/16 is 15.3 in^4. Therefore the rectangular section is stiffer than the C-channel, but by only 1%. But the rectangular section weighs almost 41% more than the C-channel. Hmm…let’s add 41% more steel to increase the bending stiffness by 1%. Brilliant!! Confused? That’s because the “extra” material is added in the wrong location to be effective for bending resistance. The extra material needs to be added as far away from the centroid as possible. That's where Toyota reinforced the frame rail on under the cab, at the top and bottom flanges. And all Mechanical and Civil Engineers (ME and CE) know, or should know that the deeper the section, the stiffer it is in bending, in general. So what if we picked a C-channeled that weighed about the same as this HSS section, a C8x13.75 for example (weight = 13.75 lbs/ft). It has a moment of inertia of 36.1 in^4. That’s 235.9% increase in bending stiffness compared to the HSS6x2x5/16. Now that’s brilliant!! Well, some will argue that the deep C and I sections are susceptible to web buckling. Not if the web is braced in the horizontal direction at certain intervals (e.g. cross members). Ever wondered why all the commercial trucks (box vans, semi-tractors, etc.) have deep C-channel frames? Ford and GM HD pickups (I don’t know about Dodge) still uses C-channel frames. Is it because they’re more efficient for weight carrying. So what’s so about torsional stiffness then? Common sense tells us or tells me that a square or rectangular section is stiffer than an open C-channel. In fact, that’s where the boxed or rectangular section has the C-channel beat by a mile. The HSS6x2x5/16 has a Torsional Stiffness Constant, “J” of 7.60 in^4. The C6x10.5 has a Torsional Stiffness Constant of only 0.128 in^4. That’s almost 6000% greater! That’s why a convertible is not as stiff as a coupe. And a round tube or circular section has the best torsional stiffness to weight ratio. That’s why drive shafts or anything that has to transmit torque is round. But the ME’s will also tell us that the torsional stiffness of a frame is not solely governed by the torsional stiffness of the two main rails and that the cross members contribute to the overall torsional stiffness of the frame. For example, when the frame is twisting (such as when the left-front and right-rear wheels are up and the right-front and left-rear wheels are down or vice-versa), the there’s probably a good deal of bending in the cross members and some twisting of the frame rails. They are being bent. What’s does this have to do with the new Tundra and new GM pickups? Well, I was looking at the new Tundra at the locale dealer that also sells Chevys and noticed that the frame rails of the Silverado at the rear wheels were shorter than the Tundra. I didn’t check out the size of the frame rails at the cab on both vehicles though. But I noticed that the frame rails of the Silverado HD pickups were deep C-channels at the rear wheels. I guess GM didn’t let their “real” truck engineers design the new ½ ton pickups. So, yeah…a boxed section is more costly…duh! It has more steel! Anyways, boxed frame is nothing new. Check out a pre-tacoma Toyota pickup. It has a FBF. Then Toyota went with a C-channel on the Tacoma. Alright, class dismiss and there will be a quiz on all of this next week. :-)
    Sorry for the long post, but hope it helps.
  • 1offroader1offroader Member Posts: 208
    titancrew,

Although I didn't check the specs on your examples, your engineering analysis is correct. However, since we don't know the dimensions of either frame it's speculation, albeit educated speculation, at this point.

First off, let me explain a little about my background and qualifications. I’m not an automotive engineer, but in my college days at UCLA in the 70s I took an upper division engineering course called Engineering 108 – Mechanics of Deformable Solids. The course taught about bending moments, torsional and linear stresses, etc. Basically, the course provided a working knowledge of how engineered materials behave under stress. It was heavy on calculus and physics, and was damn difficult. But I learned a lot.

Anyway…

In terms of stiffness, once the design load can be safely carried the frame doesn't need to be any stiffer. The C-channel and boxed frame are about equal, unless one is much larger dimensionally than the other. For the record, a fully boxed frame is FAR superior in terms of torsional rigidity. That’s why trailer hitches are built of square (or round) tubing, not C-channel. Fully boxed frames are also more expensive, as titancrew stated.

I haven't looked under the Tundra, but the cross members on the Silverado go through both sides of the boxed frame, and they are welded. The cross members transfer the stress to both of the frame rails. When the opposite corners of the vehicle are lifted, as happens often when offroading, the boxed frame is able to take the torque with much less flex.

My old 69 Bronco, 85 Toyota 4x4, 92 Toyota 4x4, and 99 Trooper all had fully boxed frames. These vehicles were designed to go offroad. And now my 07 Silverado does, too. Boxed frames are nothing new, but they are effective. The reason large trucks don't use a boxed frame is because they are used for load hauling, not offroading. The C-channel is more efficient, cost and weight-wise, than the boxed frame for purely load carrying. The boxed frame is WAAAAY better if you are going off road where one or more corners of the vehicle may be unsupported. When was the last time you saw a Peterbuilt off road?

That said, anyone who would load the Tundra (or Silverado) to the point of frame failure is an idiot. The strength difference is WAY out on the stress/strain curve where no one operates a mechanical device, except idiots. The practical difference is nil, just like the practical difference in sub-second ¼ mile performance, or a few extra pounds of rated towing capacity at the ragged edge of safety.

I think Toyota chose to use the cheaper C-channel frame because it set the price point of the Tundra near the competition. It used an expensive engine and transmission, which gobbled up a lot of the sales price. In addition, Toyota needs to recoup the cost of the new plant in Texas. Therefore, it had to compromise in other areas – items mentioned numerous times before such as no rear locker, no OnStar, cheaper interior. And a cheaper frame.

To my knowledge, neither the Laws of Physics nor the Laws of Economics have been repealed (although the California Legislature is trying to do the latter). The Laws of Economics dictate that the Tundra cannot offer everything ‘standard’ and still compete at the price point it set for itself. Toyota wants to sell enough Tundras to gain a foothold in the full-size market. And, knowing Toyota, they have a decent chance of doing that.

The larger body gaps may also be a result of the frame design - Toyota knows that with the add'l. frame flex it has to have more tolerance between body parts so they do not rub against each other. A "rugged look" is BS. It's an engineering necessity caused by the decision to use the open frame design.

I’ll go out on a limb here and predict the next gen Tundra will offer a rear locker (perhaps optional), a boxed frame, better interior, and some sort of safety system such as the OnStar. And a higher price.

Anyone care to take that bet?

1offroader
    And as to the Ram, again, why pick on the oldest design in the segment to prove a point? Yes the towing is lacking compared with 6 m/y newer trucks. The '06 Toyota Tundra is out-towed by an '07 Dodge Dakota for comparison.

And on panel gaps? They're getting wider by the minute at Toyota. Oh sure, it lets more air in. It looks more dated than a '79 Oldmobile. And it adds ruggedness!!! Please take that baloney somewhere else to folks that are listening.

First, it is nobody's fault but Dodge's if they have an old design. They have an 07 truck just like everybody else here. When they come out with a new design in 09 you can bet they are going to compare to the other 09s which will be 3 year old designs too.

Panel gaps getting wider by the minute? They're still a lot tighter than most trucks out right now... just go and look. Again, this is something that Toyota talked about.

Letting more air in? Perhaps you have never been in a truck before... see air gets in through the engine at several places such as through the front and underneath where it is OPEN. No air gets in the cab on any truck because they seal those gaps... otherwise we would be leaking water like the midgates on Avalanches. So, if anything, the only thing that panel gaps risk are perhaps more wind noise. But that hasn't been an issue on any truck in reviews.

Also, nobody said that it adds ruggedness... again get a grip and read what was written. Toyota claimed that they felt that it LOOKED more rugged. Nobody on this board said that it added ruggedness or that they even liked the panel gaps. But chances are if there are people that expressed it, they would be from around Texas because a lot of the market research for this truck came from there. In any case, Toyota has more than proved themselves in this area unlike other manufacturers that have yet to get there. It would be like me making the argument against Chevy not knowing how to make a 6.2l engine. GM uses them already in Caddys and GMC, so they've proved it already... just because Chevy doesn't use it in their truck doesn't mean they don't know how.
    Full-size truck buyers aren't used to tight panel gaps. They expect wider gaps.

Toyota wants to gain acceptance, not change buyers habits. Lexus-level gaps not required.

Hemi

Since the Tundra was a mid-year addition, you know it wasn't eligible for most of those awards. So throwing awards up in my face doesn't mean anything.

As you well know, Lexus can't count how many awards they've won here for their vehicles, many fold more than Audi, which has to go abroad for love.

Are you saying Lexus vehicles are better than Audi? I knew you had the love! Why fight it? Bask in the afterglow. :D

So you're saying the excuse for drivability so bad, it shakes the vehicle every time it moves is bad trannys and driveshafts, after 3-4 years on the market, and mid-gen updates. That makes me feel so much better! :)

Come get your fully-boxed frame here......crappy performance and poor quality thrown in at no extra charge.....0%? $3k off? $5k off?

DrFill
    I do realize there are many variables that make up how strong a frame is. The GMT800's has open C-sections like the Tundra. Their new frame is stronger than the GMT800 frame.

Conventional wisdom would say that a 6.0L motor is stronger than a 5.7L if both motors are Overhead Cam or Overhead Valve. In this case one is Overhead Cam and one is Overhead Valve. Do you realize that the Tundra 5.7 is physically larger than the GM 6.0? In fact, the 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0L GM V8 engines are all physically the same size. They share the same block.

By the way I checked both Toyota.com and Chevrolet.com to get maximum payload and towing capacities for different configurations. I'll include the Heavy Duty Silverado 2500 just for information purposes. GM also has a Heavy Duty 3500 Silverado with even higher capacities. The results are interesting and I don't see the Tundra having this huge advantage like most on this board think:

Payload 2WD Standard Bed
    Tundra - 1750
    Silverado - 2160
    (Silverado HD - 3604)

Payload 2WD Long Bed
    Tundra - 2065
    Silverado - 1812
    (Silverado HD - 3892)

Payload 4x4 Standard Bed
    Tundra - 1680
    Silverado - 2013
    (Silverado HD - 3353)

Payload 4x4 Long Bed
    Tundra - 2000
    Silverado - 1850
    (Silverado HD - 3646)

Towing V6 2WD
    Tundra - 5100
    Silverado - 5300
    (Silverado HD - Not available with V6)

Towing V6 4x4
    Tundra - 4x4 not available with V6
    Silverado - 5100
    (Silverado HD - Not available with V6)

The next part is tougher because Toyota has one mid level V8 and GM has 2 so I included both:

Towing Mid Level V8 2WD
    Tundra 4.7 - 8500
    Silverado 4.8 - 7200
    Silverado 5.3 - 8200
    (Silverado HD - Not available with mid level V8)

Towing Mid Level V8 4x4
    Tundra 4.7 - 8200
    Silverado 4.8 - 7900
    Silverado 5.3 - 8900
    (Silverado HD - Not available with mid level V8)

Towing Top V8 2WD
    Tundra 5.7 - 10800
    Silverado 6.0 - 10300
    (Silverado HD 6.0 - 12900)
    (Silverado HD Duramax Diesal - 15800)

Towing Top V8 4x4
    Tundra 5.7 - 10500
    Silverado 6.0 - 10500
    (Silverado HD 6.0 - 12700)
    (Silverado HD Duramax Diesal - 15500)
    This is only the first salvo.

The 2010 Tundra HD will sport at least 800 lb.ft. of torque when it gets here. They use the engine elsewhere, just shining it up, and waiting for everyone else to show their weaker hands.

Having an ace up your sleeve is quite nice, indeed. ;)

Playtimes over.

DrFill
    'I’ll go out on a limb here and predict the next gen Tundra will offer a rear locker (perhaps optional), a boxed frame, better interior, and some sort of safety system such as the OnStar. And a higher price.'

I would love to see anyone take you up on this bet.
    Toyota was eligible for Car and Driver 5 best trucks and Lost. Toyota also would have lost Motor Trend Truck of the year and NAIAS Truck of Year if they were eligible. I find it interesting that Toyota did not delay production of the Tundra until after the GMT900's were revealed. Had they made their original production date, they would have been eligible.
    Yeah and the 2011 Sierra will fly and have 6 wheels. What is your source of information? Sorry DrFill but people are buying great Heavy Duty diesals today at your local Chevy store. Will the gaps on the 2010 Tundra HD have 1 inch gaps for a real rugged look?
    But it will be able to fly, compared to the Chevy. Kinda like they do today, just bigger and better.

The more things change.... :blush:

DrFill
    That's the sophistication of the 'TripleTech' frame.

There is no doubt, there never has been, that a fully boxed frame from front to back is stiffer than one that is not. Curiously though it may not be stronger as rorr noted above there are a lot of other factors like yield strength, design, and material thickness.

What I used to supply to GM for their frame rails and cross members was 50ksi and 80ksi HSLA ultra clean ( minimal impurities ) steel. 80 ksi steel is 60% stronger than 50 ksi steel. 100 ksi steel is twice as strong as 50 ksi, etc.

Toyota does use FBF in the high-torque area where the engine is secured, reinforced open C's under the cab where most of the weight goes and Open C under the bed. For 50 years trucks have been using this open C under the beds with great results. Toyota's view is that the extra stiffness is not needed there.

It's a good technical subject to be resolved after 5-10 years of use. That's all that can be said at this time.
    Towing Top V8 2WD
    Tundra 5.7 - 10800
    Silverado 6.0 - 10300
    (Silverado HD 6.0 - 12900)
    (Silverado HD Duramax Diesal - 15800)

Towing Top V8 4x4
    Tundra 5.7 - 10500
    Silverado 6.0 - 10500
    (Silverado HD 6.0 - 12700)
    (Silverado HD Duramax Diesal - 15500)

Except in 2007 you can't order this Silverado with the 6.0L and Max Trailering Package. It is in the specs but at least from the Build/Price module it can't be ordered that way.

I've done the summary of the 'truck specs' for the two vehicles.
    In general the Silverado can carry more than the Tundra.
    in 10 similar configurations
    The Silvy leads in 5
    The Tundra leads in 2
    They are tied in 3

In Towing ( 5.7L vs 6.0L ) the Tundra leads in all 10 configurations ( Max Trailering Pckg not available to the Silvy ).
    Done. A month's silence on these boards.

a) possibly a locker if the market demands it
    b) FBF all the way back? - I'll confidently say NO
    c) OnStar - I'll VERY confidently say NO.
    d) Higher price??? - prices always go up but they will remain lower than GM's in the 'area of interest'.

I know I'm good for at least 5 years ( next model iteration )
    hdhspyder,

You have stated time and again that the Max Trailering Pckg is not available but IT IS. I got this on Chevrolet.com. Other people on this sight have driven 2007 GMT900 Silverado's with the package. You lose credibility when you state false information. I have a Silverado brochure in my hands as I type this that shows the package offered.

Click this link and see for yourself:

http://www.chevrolet.com/pop/silverado/2007/max_trailering_en.jsp
    I think this forum is completely wiped out now. There seems to be a big disconnect between what makes a truck better vs what doesn't.
    The argument for the previous tundra was that it wasn't large or strong enough. Now apparently this one is TOO strong and large because the only way to criticize it is to mention 3/4 and 1 ton trucks.
    Rorr gave a great explanation about the frame. I think that is still lost on a lot of the posters here, but I like his explanation as it is very technical and makes the point about where benefits actually are in the design.
    Personally, aside from the subjective comparison of the interiors, there is an overwhelming amount of technical advantages in favor of the Tundra. That isn't to say that the Silverado is bad, but I wish at least one of the Chevy posters here would admit to it. It is like they are afraid of doing it for some unknown reason. Sure the Chevy has a rear locker; something that is admitedly better than having an LSD. But it is missing a number of other more critical safety features such as a complete air bag safety system and a number of vehicle drive control technologies available on the Tundra. Power, transmission, technology, interior features -- heck even the stereo system -- are all better on the Tundra. But people are free to choose what they want. I just wish that others could own up to this.
    For me, after seeing the dashboard gap issue on the Silverado and just not particularly liking the look of the interior (literally 10 times better than the previous one). I didn't like the steering wheel controls at all -- very poorly laid out as you have to look down at them to know what you're pressing -- it isn't intuitive.
    Toyota's interior isn't fantastic either, but the gauges and seats are excellent. Add to that the different storage areas and the many interior conveniences and its a great truck setup for sure. I'm holding out to see the Denali in person because I'm hoping the interior will be a lot better then what I saw in the Silverado.
    I can see Toyota doing a rear-locker in the distant future but I do agree with kdhspyder that neither OnStar or FBF all the way through will happen anytime soon.
    Toyota is at a higher price in some configurations -- namely at the lowest configuration and top configuration. But right in the middle, where they aim to sell more than 60% of these truck configurations, there is hardly a better deal to be had, no question. Even the Chevy guys should see that.
    Anyhow, it all depends on taste I guess, but I think I'm done with this forum for now as there hasn't been any new information to come out that would make me reconsider either alternative just yet. Good luck to all of you on your purchases and be sure to report on your buying experience and prices paid! Remember... a good deal is even better if you share it with others! :D
    pmusce,
    Yes, it is available, but he is stating that you can't order it right now. It shows up as an option, but you're unable to actually order it. I don't know why this is a big deal. I agree with you that if it is on the list, it should be included. Chances are that if it is listed for the 07s, then it will be made available sometime soon.
    Your reading comprehension suffers. And I don't post false information. It's just that some don't read very well.

I'll try again. I said yes the Max Trailering Pack is listed in the Chevy specs. It's clearly there.

Now this is important to read carefully.... pay attention..

You cannot go on Chevy's Build/Price module and actually build a Silverado with this option. They don't offer it.

Do I need to repeat it? I can.

OK to be balanced, I'm certain that the Silverado can haul the spec'd Max towing capacities...when it has the package. it is afterall the same vehicle as the Sierra.

You can spec out the Max Trailering Pack with the 6.0L on the Sierra for ~$1000 extra. So it seems that GM Marketing has decided to give the top capabilities to the Sierra and the standard capabilities to the Silverado. In this way they don't push the pricing of the Silvy too high. GM to buyers: You want better towing? Step up to the Sierra.

It's marketing exerting its influence.
    "I haven't looked under the Tundra, but the cross members on the Silverado go through both sides of the boxed frame, and they are welded. The cross members transfer the stress to both of the frame rails. When the opposite corners of the vehicle are lifted, as happens often when offroading, the boxed frame is able to take the torque with much less flex."

I think we've established a few points:

First, as regards bending stiffness, the two sections are essentially equal. So, from a load carrying or towing capacity view, the FBC section wouldn't automatically be more beneficial.

Second, with regards to torsional stiffness, the FBC section would have an advantage. So, from an off-roading viewpoint, the FBC section would be beneficial.

Serious question: what % of full-size truck owners do SERIOUS off-roading with these types of vehicles (as opposed to using something a bit shorter, narrower, and nimble)? I know that Toyota offers OTHER vehicles which would be much more suitable to this type of use.
    Subquestion: with 200,000 units to sell do you concentrate on all sectors of the potential buying public? Or do you concentrate your efforts and resources on establishing your bona-fides in a narrow focused sector where towing is of more importance.

Walk before you run.

As you say there are plenty of Toyota's all over the world proving themselves in areas where US half ton pickups would never go.
  • metalphoenix79metalphoenix79 Member Posts: 28
    Belias, I have to say the majority of your arguments for the Toyota are subjective. I will say that some of the reasons I prefer the Chevy are subjective as well. You say that Chevy doesn't have the technical side but then admit that it has the locking differential, which is admittedly better (technical?).
    The argument for the previous GM trucks was that the interior was poor especially the gaps. Now GM has improved the gaps dramatically but "it's not your thing" and it's "subjective". I have the same response to the Toyota's interior...It's not my thing but agree it is subjective. I think the Chevy interior is well laid out and gauges are close and directed to the driver. Edmunds also agrees. :P
    Also, no mention of the gas mileage advantage of the Chevy. I do understand that it doesn't matter to a lot of people that drive trucks but the amount of people that use them as a daily driver and care about gas mileage is a factor.
    Can you explain to me the amount of technical advantages in favor of the Tundra that are "overwhelming". I don't see it. I guess I don't know what I'm admitting to when I don't see almost any advantage let alone overwhelming ones.
    You say that the Chevy is missing critical safety features...such as? You say that Chevy is missing air bags but yet when I go the website I can see Chevy has dual stage front/side impact air bags and stability control. I will give you that they are not standard in all trims but it will become the standard by 2008 for all vehicles in the US.
    Also, I'm not sure about the stereo system either. Chevy offers a Bose 6 disc CD changer. Seems pretty good to me.
    How can you not order it when there are Silverado's on the lot with it already. He is assuming you can't order it because he could not figure it out on the 'Build Your Own' section of Chevrolet.com.
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    Strongest frame? Who cares? The frame just has to be strong enough to do the job that's all. On the street I don't think the chevy get's better mileage on an engine by engine basis than the Toy. If you can, just wait a few years into the model run and you will get a better truck at a better price. Think of the incentives when gas is $4 a gallon and Honda has diesel power across it's entire lineup. :)
    OH..

On our Chevy lot, we sell both, there are none. If you can show me on the Chevy Build module where it is then I will apologize profusely.

But I don't think I'll have to ;)

It's clearly there on the GMC site and Build module, but not on the Chevy version.
    Yes if the Ridgeline gets Honda's diesel in 2009, along with the Ody, MDX/Pilot and Accord then all the gassers here may be sucking wind ( or diesel exhaust ) trying to get their diesels on the market.
    It's going to happen. Wait 3 years,if you can, to buy a pickup. Ah.... I can see it now....$4000 cash back and 200,000 mile warranty.
    "Also, no mention of the gas mileage advantage of the Chevy."

Odd thing is, that in Edmunds direct comparison test between the 5.7l Tundra 4x4 and the 6.0l Silverado 4x4, they observed 14.4 mpg on the Tundra and 12.7 mpg on the Siverado. Both trucks driven by the same panel of drivers in the same tests over the same roads.

As usual, YMMV..... ;)
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    The latest issue of Trailer Boats Magazine did a 1/2 ton comparison test of the Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi, F150 supercrew 4x4, GMC 1500 Sierra crew cab 4x4 w/ 6.0L, Nissan Titan crew cab 4x4 SE, and a Toyota Tundra Double cab 4x4 with the 5.7.

Note, I've subscribed to this magazine for many years and they are as unbiased as I've seen, if anything they prefer domestics as do most of their subscribers.

The Tundra was picked as 1/2ton tow vehicle of the year due to posting the best overall scores related to towing a 6,840lb boat with 500lbs of tongue weight.

Over the course of 2 weeks of testing, the tundra avg. 13.2mpg non towing and 9.1 while towing. The Sierra got 12.2mpg NT and 8.9 while towing.

Since this was a towing test, the Tundra excelled at handling the tongue weight, pulling up grades, and towing stability. They commented the Tundra's towing performance felt more like a 3/4 ton than a 1/2 ton with the way the boat felt much smaller behind it than the other trucks.

Surprisingly, the titan won the 0-30, and 0-60 times, beating all the other trucks by nearly a second or more to 60. The toyota posted by far the best 40-60 times while towing. The toyota posted a 7.7 second 40-60 time where as the sierra was 12.3 (the slowest of the bunch) that's a huge difference and a prime example where the sierra is hamstrung by it's gearing. Ironically, all of the OHC engines in the test had torque peaks under 4000rpm. The titan's 385lb-ft of torque comes at 3400rpm vs. GMs 6.0 375lb-ft @ 4300rpm, that's a big difference and partially explains the performance difference. So much for the torque advantages of OHV.

Time will tell if the Tundra will hold up, but you can't deny it is capable truck.
    Good post w/ facts not conversation. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.