Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• muskyfevermuskyfever Member Posts: 20
    The Toyota Tundra looks better, gets better mileage, the resale is way better, and the truck has more balls. The overall powertrain destroys the American competition.

Not to mention the Tundra isn't an American made piece of junk. :)

I think it's laughable when the American made truck fans constantly use the same lines like the Toyota needs a FBF, or the "interior is ugly." It's all they have left. It kind of reminds me of the Bush administration constantly using terms like "Hold the course" "Weapons of mass destruction" to brainwash the sheep into believing lies.

Anybody who looks at the Tundra knows the Interior is by FAR better than any truck to date. It is FAR from ugly in any way. But they will keep reinforcing the point saying the "Interior is ugly" so they eventually believe it themselves. It's laughable!

Oh and the mighty Duramax diesel? It's built by Isuzu. Another [non-permissible content removed] company. If Chevy wouldnt of bought duramax from Isuzu they wouldn't even have that.

Now the thread has switched to gap tolerances? LOL!! American made companies have always had the worst gap tolerances by far no questions asked.

Walk up to any Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Infiniti, Acura and check out the gaps and then look at a ford taurus or a Pontiac Grand Prix or piece of crap g6.

American made vehicles are a joke. I have to laugh when I see people blow thousands on them. There not worth anything.
  • pmuscepmusce Member Posts: 132
    Here are the February 2007 Sales. I don't have numbers for Ram yet. A couple of observations:

- Silverado outsold F-Series. Thats huge
    - The GMT900's are dominating the market

Silverado
    Feb 2007 - 58696
    Feb 2006 - 46387
    Up 26.5%

F-Series
    Feb 2007 - 55251
    Feb 2006 - 62862
    Down 12.1%

Sierra
    Feb 2007 - 18140
    Feb 2006 - 14787
    Up 22.7%

Tundra
    Feb 2007 - 9669
    Feb 2006 - 10566
    Down 8.5%

Titan
    Feb 2007 - 6058
    Feb 2006 - 7009
    Down 13.6%
  • fshifshi Member Posts: 57
    you have too much OPINION in your post. "American made vehicles are a joke, I have to laugh when I see people blow thousands on them, there not worth anything"

This harsh statement almost immediately disqualify you from making objective comparison between a forign brand with any domestic brand.
    There was some good, intellictual debate going on in this thread until I read your post.
    this is what AMERICAN vote for the trucks, LOUDLY.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "...where as the sierra was 12.3 (the slowest of the bunch) that's a huge difference and a prime example where the sierra is hamstrung by it's gearing."

I was very surprised by that result. I was expecting the Tundra to have a slight advantage in that kind of test with the Titan and Sierra very close behind. I figured the F150 would be bringing up the rear....
  • muskyfevermuskyfever Member Posts: 20
    The Toyota Tundra goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds?

That's faster than most of my cars!!

Truly awesome!
    "The Toyota Tundra goes 0-60 in 6.4 seconds?

That's faster than most of my cars!!

Truly awesome!"

:confuse:

Personally, for trucks I'm more impressed by acceleration times when either hauling or towing a load; since this would be a better indication of how the vehicle performs when actually working.

How well the thing scoots when being used essentially as a commuter vehicle is kinda pointless IMO. Kinda like discussing towing capacity of a Mustang......

If all you wanna do is go fast, there's lots more suitable vehicles on the market than either the Tundra or Silverado.
    I know how to type in complete sentence, but I have no interest in typing in anything that makes YOUR sense.

As an asian, I have driven many toyota/honda cars/suvs. Now I own a cts, and an envoy. I can attest that domestic cars are not inferior to toy/honda vehicles, they acutally give me less headache than my previous camry (bought new).

The way you talk about tundra is very much like the way people (same group of people) talked about titan several years back. Has titan made a big dent on Silverado/F150 as someone would hope? Nissan is laying off assemply workers for the titan now. Calm down, same thing will happen to YOUR tundra ...

hehe, I have not done the spelling check. I did not know that is your hobby.
  • maple2maple2 Member Posts: 177
    The Toyota Tundra looks better, gets better mileage, the resale is way better, and the truck has more balls. The overall powertrain destroys the American competition.

Looks better? not to me but thats subjective, gets better gas mileage? neither one gets good gas milage if you want gas milage get a moped. More balls, il give you that one for now. Overall powertrain destroys American competition, laughable to say the least, cmon lets be reasonable here the chevy powertrains are tried tested and guess what, they hold up. Do you have any data to show you the reliability of this 5.7l powerhouse over the long haul? Of course you dont. How about this new 6 speed tranny how do they hold up after 100k miles? nobody knows the answer to that, we will just have to wait and see. The 6 speed camry has more than its share of problems that toyota still cant get right,what makes you think that the tundra will be different? Im not saying they will have problems but it is certainly possible. In 5-7 years you might be able to make a statement like "overall powertrain destroys American competition" (if warranted) but not today you cant.

Walk up to any Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Infiniti, Acura and check out the gaps and then look at a ford taurus or a Pontiac Grand Prix or piece of crap g6.

How about I just walk up to a tundra and a silverado since I only drive trucks and that is what we are talking about. Hmmm tundra has big gaps silverado has small gaps. but they did that on purpose, right. As someone else posted probably to accomodate the flexing of the frame so the panels dont rub. Toyota engineering at its finest. :P
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I was very surprised by that result. I was expecting the Tundra to have a slight advantage in that kind of test with the Titan and Sierra very close behind. I figured the F150 would be bringing up the rear....

The f150 posted a 12 flat 40-60 time. The Dodge was 10.8 and the titan 10.1 seconds

The Sierra did post better acceleration numbers than the f150 in the 0-30 and 0-60 tests.

The Sierra posted the best braking results while towing, stopping from 55mph in 162' vs. 172' with the Tundra.

As for comparing reliability, who knows. The trans in my suburban didn't make it to 45k before needing a rebuild and I personally know 4 other people with 1/2 ton based GM vehicles that have had transmissions (4l60e) die under 80k miles, 3 were under 50k. What we all have in common is, we all tow boats.
  • trucktrickstrucktricks Member Posts: 45
    Interesting post.......You must not be familiar with R.L. Polk. The latest results show that the domestic manufacturers do quite well when you look at who repeat buys a model, make or manufacturer.

GM is number one for the manufacturers and the Ford F-150 is number one for the pickups. There must be some very satisfied customers out there somewhere.

What is good about this survey is that it measures where people actually put their money and not just some subjective dribble like Consumer Reports.
  • toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95
    careful there thats your opinion vs. 1.3 million other people ;)
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Full-ramp up won't be until April, at the earliest.

I think the Thundra goes should be just south of Sierra sales, around 15k a month this year, and 20k next year.

2007 Tundra didn't officially sell until 2/12.

DrFill
  • joeshmowjoeshmow Member Posts: 9
    "Over the course of 2 weeks of testing, the tundra avg. 13.2mpg non towing and 9.1 while towing. The Sierra got 12.2mpg NT and 8.9 while towing."

USA Today road tested the new Chevy "fuel-efficient" engine and they got a very disappointing 12 MPG combined city and highway, towing nothing. I get about 15 MPG with my '97 F150 4WD big V8, 300,000 miles. Sounds like these new trucks are all getting even worse MPG's than ever!
    Yeah, I would agree that Tundar is still in ramp up mode. I would think it will be around April-May until their sales show some bigger gains. It will be interesting to see where the sales come from. Do you think Tacoma sales will be affected at all by the new Tundra?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    Actually there are a lot of current Tundra owners that think this new Gen is too big. They don't want anything bigger than what they have. When these start to get 8-10 years old and 200K miles these owners are going to have to make a decision about a 'nearly-as-big' Tacoma or a HUGE Tundra. All the other options are just as big.
    That's probably the percentage that may need a full-size, but don't want to buy a domestic, and can use the good mid-size until the Tundra came out.

Was standing next to a 2000 Tacoma the other day. The current tacoma is MUCH larger than that. You can really see the difference between compact and mid-size.

DrFill
  • jreaganjreagan Member Posts: 285
    You cannot go on Chevy's Build/Price module and actually build a Silverado with this option. They don't offer it.

Just because their "Build Module" doesn't let You, does NOT mean you cannot order it. GO TO A CHEVY DEALER and ask them, I will bet you one of these trucks that you are WRONG, are we on?

I drove one for crying out loud!!! What more proof do I need than that? I have told you this SEVERAL times, why do you still deny it and make this BS claim? Because a stupid internet build module says so? Sheesh.
    Nice post, care to reply Belias? I would like to hear it too.
    Other than slightly more power and a 6-speed tranny (which is yet unproven in the long haul and GM has one and will be phasing it in as std this year). What advantages does the Tundra have over the GM's?
    Look at the big picture, and the facts and overall, the GM is clearly superior. Toyota still has to prove it is as good/better, until then GM is better, period.
    Pretty sure Toyota and the Tundra are proving it in every comparison test, every test drive, and every article written. It is at least as good as the Chevy. It's splitting hairs.

No need to lie. Shouting at people doesn't change anything. The Chevy does some things well, and the Tundra does some things well. Neither is particularly poor at anything. Just emphasize different virtues.

DrFill
    Just got the Ram figures:

Silverado
    Feb 2007 - 58696
    Feb 2006 - 46387
    Up 26.5%

F-Series
    Feb 2007 - 55251
    Feb 2006 - 62862
    Down 12.1%

Ram
    Feb 2007 - 28633
    Feb 2006 - 24379
    Up 17%

Sierra
    Feb 2007 - 18140
    Feb 2006 - 14787
    Up 22.7%

Tundra
    Feb 2007 - 9669
    Feb 2006 - 10566
    Down 8.5%

Titan
    Feb 2007 - 6058
    Feb 2006 - 7009
    Down 13.6%

Totals for the Month:

GM 76836
    Ford 55251
    DCX 28633
    Toyota 9669
    Nissan 6058
    Good job by GM, and that's with Ford and Dodge ready to roll over and play dead.
  • vortecmax60vortecmax60 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone please fill me in on what I'm missing about Toyota? Their vehicles may get decent gas mileage, but their styling is so bland I can only picture my pap behind the wheel of one. I'm a proud owner of a 06 Chevy that gets about 11.9 mpg according to the in dash computer... and I'd hook chains any day with a tundra against my Vortec MAX. After I rip the frame out from under it, I'll toss ya a tube of super glue so you can put your TOY back together. :P
    Super Glue as standard equipment, after a year I'd think you'd be out by now! :blush:

DrFill
  • toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95
    cant say the tundra is stronger nor the silverado/sierra because theres no factual evidence just opinion. The tundra does have one heavy frame. They know about Fully boxed frames already since the f150 was their target. The tundras frame doesnt have the FBF weird vibrations toyota pointed that out, they also said its stronger then the F150s FBF and Dodge rams and they tested and trashed a few new gen silverados and sierras before they launched the tundra. The silverado and sierras launched 5+ months before the tundra so they had a chance to compare. Few people who work for toyota on TS.com were in those tests and pointed out a few GM trucks lost their front bumpers in the offroad courses and yep these were the new sierras and silverados :surprise: .
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I agree with toykicks.

I tend to think a FBF has more to due with frame stiffness than strength.

Take a peak under a Freightliner that can haul 60,000+ lbs and you'll see that it does not have a boxed frame. Sometimes flex is good.

I do think GMs new trucks/suvs are very nice. But I won't be interested until the 6speed is available w/o having to buy a Denali or Escalade. Thus, if I were to replace my Suburban today, I'd get an Expedition or Armada, more gears and more torque plus more towing capacity w/o having to go to a 3/4ton.
    But what about long-term reliability and customer satisfaction? And don't tell me that their car market or the previous Tundras speak for that. They are completely different vehicles. This is a new segment for Toyota, so there is no doubt they will have a learning curve to get through. Sure, Toyota is a good automotive mfr, but they are NOT immune to all of the challenges required to get a truck to the point that GM, Ford (and even Dodge) are at in overall truck quality. Sure, they are powerful and fast, but there is way more to a truck than that.
    Oh, and BTW...Does Tundra offer such ammenities such as Rain Sense Wipers and Heated washer fluid? Just curious.
    Super Glue as standard equipment, after a year I'd think you'd be out by now!

Huh?
    Oh, and BTW...Does Tundra offer such ammenities such as Rain Sense Wipers and Heated washer fluid? Just curious.

It's a truck. The Avalon has the rainsensing wipers and I believe the Lexus's have both.

Absolutely the Tundra has to prove itself there is no question. That's why they have aimed at a small part of a very large target. The center of the market of 2.3 Million trucks.

With any population there is normally a 'bell curve' with most of the volume being grouped around the mean. Find the mean and find out what they want and that's where most of the volume is located. If 1.5 Million buyers out of 2.3 Million market want
    ..the DC/EC/SC/QC
    ..with superior towing capacity
    ..good carrying capacity
    ..durability
    ..good fuel economy
    ..nice convenient features without going overboard
    then this vehicle will hit it's target.

If there are some buyers wanting a low-rider kick-[non-permissible content removed] Reg Cab short bed or a Lexus/Cadillac interior or 15,000# towing capacity well they don't fall into this 'center demographic'. With only 200K units to sell at first being focused is much more important than meeting every single challenge.
  • beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Just saw all the new posts and will try to get some replies posted this weekend if possible, but just wanted to point out that from the owners of Chevy/GMC, Dodge, and Ford truck owners themselves, the full-size domestic truck segment scored "mediocre" in CRs latest review. That is with a sample size of 1.3 million total automotive customers. Heck of a lot more than on this forum. Honda did best overall, Toyota did very well also, but two or three models were not highly recommended. Still, their trucks fared much better then the domestics (mid-size included).
    If I were a Chevy man on this forum, I would hardly be arguing reliability favoring Chevy/GMC.
    jreagan,
    So, rain sense wipers and heated washer fluid outdo:
    - better audio systems across the line for Tundra (all have aux input jacks and mp3 capability) including a 12-speaker 440W JBL system available on some models (as opposed to a 6-speaker Bose system)
    - heating/cooling ducts for rear-seat passengers in the Tundra (none on the Chevy)
    - more room on Tundra's regular, double, and crewmax cabs then in the Silverado's regular, extended, and crewcab trucks.
    - more cup/thermos holders across the line
    - much more advanced Navigation system (see audio/voice controls section and POI numbers, integration with other onboard systems)
    - rear child-door locks on the Tundra
    - standard side, side-curtain, and front air bags for Tundra where just the fronts are standard on the Chevy with the option to have side-curtains on some models (no sides available).
    - bigger brakes all the way around with 4-piston calipers up front Tundra.
    - windshield wiper de-icer grid with timer for rapid defrosting of windshield on Tundra.
    - Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, ABS with EBD, and Brake Assist on Tundra as opposed to ABS and StabiliTrak on Silverado
    - Information centers on Tundra contain more information then what is displayed on the Silverado
    - Tundra has better performance in acceleration, handling, handling under load, and braking then the Silverado (as mentioned by performance numbers in virtually every comparison test).
    - Better power/torque numbers for the Tundra
    - Towing payload numbers favor Tundra in various configurations by 2 to 1.
    - More power points in Tundra then in the Silverado (3 or 4 to 2)
    - Larger standard size wheels on all configurations in Tundra then in Silverado (18" vs 17")
    - Tighter turning radius on Tundra then on Silverado on all models.

There are many more points that can be made here. But that isn't really the issue. The issue here is that if the Chevy had these features, you would be arguing the same.

Both trucks are fantastic and I think that the posts talking about one "breaking" the other is a complete exaggeration if not all-around useless to the development of the topic. It isn't as if somebody is going to have buyer's remorse getting either of these trucks.

For me personally, the interior room is by far the most important feature. I need a big back seat and that just isn't available with the Silverado. I'm also a big man and need my own room; both trucks do well in this department, so that wasn't a concern for me.

In any case, it doesn't matter how much we post here in terms of Tundra's numbers, performance, capabilities, etc. there will always be something that the Chevy guys here will make an excuse for. That is the prevalent attitude because many of them already have their trucks and the very factors that were used to distinguish them from their domestic competition (i.e. hp, torque, towing, etc.) suddenly are irrelevant against the Tundra... now the Tundra is suddenly inferior because despite all it offers, there aren't "Rain sense wipers" and "Heated washer fluid". Well, if that convinces you to get the Chevy, go ahead, different things are going to be important for different people, but don't go trying to claim that this makes it more of a "truck". Tundra has got the Chevy beat on that in almost every aspect. Quibble about the details if you like (there are still far more in Tundra's favor anyway), but I think the days of arguing that this isn't a full-size truck are decidedly over.

It's a truck. The Avalon has the rainsensing wipers and I believe the Lexus's have both.

Absolutely the Tundra has to prove itself there is no question. That's why they have aimed at a small part of a very large target. The center of the market of 2.3 Million trucks.

With any population there is normally a 'bell curve' with most of the volume being grouped around the mean. Find the mean and find out what they want and that's where most of the volume is located. If 1.5 Million buyers out of 2.3 Million market want
    ..the DC/EC/SC/QC
    ..good carrying capacity
    ..durability
    ..good fuel economy
    then this vehicle will hit it's target.

If there are some buyers wanting a low-rider kick-[non-permissible content removed] Reg Cab short bed or a Lexus/Cadillac interior or 15,000# towing capacity well they don't fall into this 'center demographic'. With only 200K units to sell at first being focused is much more important than meeting every single challenge.

It was a simple question, why so defensive?

Oh and BTW, why do Toyota fans say that features the GM offers and Toy doesn't consider them insignificant, but they turn around and claim their exclusive features are such a huge advantage?

It's a truck

Why doesn't a truck benefit from rain sense wipers and heated washer fluid? Do they not get driven in the rain or in the wintertime? I personally am looking forward to especially the heated washer fluid here in our MN winters. Rain sense wipers I am not real big on though. They seem kinda gimicky.

..the DC/EC/SC/QC
    ..good carrying capacity
    ..durability
    ..good fuel economy

Superior towing capacity? Ok, on paper maybe, but in reality, both truck are more than capable for a 1/2 ton, so this minor difference is a moot point. Also, I still want to know how the mfr's come up with these ratings and if they use the same criteria? Seems to me they could put just about any number they want. ie; If the tundra had come out first, would it still have the same numbers?

good carrying capacity

Ditto on above.

..durability

How can Tundra claim superiority here? It just came out!!!

Completely subjective.
    Did I say that Rain sense wipers and Heated washer fluid outdo anything? I just asked a simple question.

BTW, all GM's have audio input jacks and MP3 capability is available too.

Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, ABS with EBD, and Brake Assist on Tundra as opposed to ABS and StabiliTrak on Silverado

Same thing, different terminology. Except brake assist.

Bose or JBL? I am guessing both sound very good. No advantage for either here. But I would have to hear them both to say for sure.

Not sure about rear HVAC in the GM's, but my 2000 has rear HVAC ducts, most people may not even know about the floor heat ducts because they are concealed very nicely under the front seats. The A/C ducts are in the rear of the console.

- standard side, side-curtain, and front air bags for Tundra where just the fronts are standard on the Chevy with the option to have side-curtains on some models (no sides available).

Huh? Mine will have Side-curtain air bags.

- Tundra has better performance in acceleration, handling, handling under load, and braking then the Silverado (as mentioned by performance numbers in virtually every comparison test).

There is that "qualifying" word again..."Virtually". The tests I saw said the GM handled and rode better, especially on rough terrain. PM claimed te tundra "tossed" around the interior contents due to a rough ride on gravel roads.

See my other post regarding these Subjective numbers.

I'll borrow Spyder's phrase here.. It's a truck!!

I have not seen ANY cold hard, provable facts that make the Tundra superior overall. Their few pluses do not outweigh GM's pluses IMO.
    Belias,

I'll reply to this post on the weekend because it will be long and I'm at work right now. Some of what you posted is innacurate and alot is subjective.
    "....and alot is subjective."

Seems to be a lot of that going around these days..... :sick:
    Did I say that Rain sense wipers and Heated washer fluid outdo anything? I just asked a simple question.

BTW, all GM's have audio input jacks and MP3 capability is available too.

You're wrong on this; base models do not include audio input jacks.

Vehicle Stability Control, Traction Control, ABS with EBD, and Brake Assist on Tundra as opposed to ABS and StabiliTrak on Silverado

Same thing, different terminology. Except brake assist.

Again, partially correct... just please go to the Toyota web site and read about the actual technology, to sum up, there is much more going on with Toyota's.

Bose or JBL? I am guessing both sound very good. No advantage for either here. But I would have to hear them both to say for sure.

Admittedly this isn't super important to me, but this JBL setup is WAY better than Bose (and I have Bose in my car, so I'm speaking from some experience). The Bose system in the Silverado isn't very strong at all and is difficult to balance -- they're known not to have good bass response at all -- though the subwoofer did help somewhat. Either way, no biggie, but 9 out of 10 people that care about audio are going to go for the JBL system not so much because JBL is the end-all of audio (no where near that), but because they are many times better than Bose...

Not sure about rear HVAC in the GM's, but my 2000 has rear HVAC ducts, most people may not even know about the floor heat ducts because they are concealed very nicely under the front seats. The A/C ducts are in the rear of the console.

If that is true, it isn't mentioned anywhere on Chevy's site; don't know if it is or not...

Huh? Mine will have Side-curtain air bags.

my typo... I meant to say that the option to have side air bags is unavailable.

There is that "qualifying" word again..."Virtually". The tests I saw said the GM handled and rode better, especially on rough terrain. PM claimed the tundra "tossed" around the interior contents due to a rough ride on gravel roads.

Wrong again, I don't know where you got that statement from, but wasn't at PM and since you used PM as a reference, check out that they said that the Silverado was "lethargic". Also check the numbers, almost all of them favor the Tundra vs the Silverado. Yes that is a qualifying word -- that saves time of having to cut and paste material that has been repeatedly posted on this forum. And that test that claimed that the Silverado "rode" better compared it to a TRD off-road Tundra; it would have been a better ride had a regular Tundar been compared to a Z71 Silverado too. This has been posted several times!! Why do we need to continually quote this for you! Go look!
    See my other post regarding these Subjective numbers.
    kdhspyder and others have already taken the time to post all the towing and payload comparisons and they are overwhelmingly in Tundra's favor. If you're too lazy to go look at those posts again, don't bother complaining.

I'll borrow Spyder's phrase here.. It's a truck!!
    Yes of course its a truck! You started this asking for specifics when you mentioned the "rain-sense" wipers and "heated washer fluid". You think those are more "truck-like" then having a tighter turning radius?

I have not seen ANY cold hard, provable facts that make the Tundra superior overall. Their few pluses do not outweigh GM's pluses IMO.

Of course you haven't seen any cold hard provable facts that make the Tundra superior -- you haven't been reading this forum -- all you've been doing is looking for the tiniest excuses to show that the Silverado has something that the Tundra doesn't. Fine, heck, throw in the plastic gas gap argument while you're at it. If reviews from Edmunds, PM, Motor Trend, and CR, as well as that Towing magazine aren't enough to convince you of the many areas where the Tundra bettered the Silverado (including reliability responses from actual owners of Silverados and Sierras) and the many specifications, both on paper and in performance tests where they are shown to have favored the Tundra as well, then there is something seriously flawed with your logic.

Nobody is going to tell you what to choose (in fact you made your choice already so you're statements are inherently biased), but again, I revert to the Chevy posters' logic here: if Chevy has any advantage it is all important for the use of a truck; if it gets beaten on the majority of areas where trucks are compared and have been compared to each other for the last 30 years, then it isn't important and doesn't matter any more. Great approach... unbelievably hypocritical
    " "....and alot is subjective."

Seems to be a lot of that going around these days..... "

That's true, but then again vehicle preferences mostly are. Every one has different priorities when purchasing vehicles. Subjective opinions should not be presented as facts though. I happen to think the Tundra is very ungainly looking and poorly proportioned, especially in crew max configuration where the rear doors are larger than the front doors. Is the above statement a fact? No, because there are people on this site who seem to like the look.
    'If reviews from Edmunds, PM, Motor Trend, and CR, as well as that Towing magazine aren't enough to convince you of the many areas where the Tundra bettered the Silverado (including reliability responses from actual owners of Silverados and Sierras) and the many specifications, both on paper and in performance tests where they are shown to have favored the Tundra as well, then there is something seriously flawed with your logic.'

Belias,

I would take Motor Trend out of your list. The Silverado beats the Tundra in a head to head comparison in the April 2007 Issue. The Tundra had the 5.7 and the Silverado had the 5.3 in this test.
    New pickup trucks are getting to be like cell phone companies to me, namely which one do I dislike the least - and I don't even know - I don't like any of them! The new Tundra is a huge disappointment for me. I don't know what those geniuses were planning out and engineering for all these years "special for the American market" - and yet it didn't dawn upon them that a lot of Americans are tall and might, duh, need head room! Looks like the plan was just to put together a lot of fancy glitzy junk and make it look garish, and make it go fast, and make it real big on the outside, and bank on the old Toyota reputation, and that's all there is to it!
    The company that spends the most on advertising gets the best review.
    Well, the Motor Trend did not use the new Tundra in the direct comparison of the vehicles when they awarded the "Truck of the Year Award"; beyond that, I have not seen the April 2007 issue (since March just started yesterday)but they did post a "First Drive" of the 07 Tundra online and one of their quotes that is particularly applicable here is "The only thing that might keep you from thinking of the '07 Tundra as an American pickup truck is your own nationalistic prejudice." Quite frankly that is not something I consider valuable to me, but it makes the point about how people think.
    Again, I didn't say ALL, I said the majority of them; just like the majority of the configurations of the Tundra have better towing/payload specs than the Silverado. It isn't subjective if it is summed up people. Subjectiveness are things that can't be quantified such as "looks" and such. Personally I don't like the look of the Silverado at all -- it looks old -- but the Sierra Denali looks better. The Tundra I think looks great -- modern, large, and masculine. Heck, look at what Chevy did with the Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche -- great all the way around except for the front-ends, those are soccer-mom vehicles now, nothing remotely tough about their looks. As you said, this is subjective. Thankfully the Silverado doesn't look like the Tahoe/Suburban/Avalanche, but it still looks old to me. And since when are things like power numbers, performance numbers, and towing numbers subjective? I think I have a better way to tackle this problem though...
    Which engine is stronger? Chevy 6.0 or Toyota 5.7?
    (remember this is not subjective -- answer honestly)
    Which interiors have more room, the Chevy or the Toyota?
    Regular cab interior room?
    Extended/Double cab interior room?
    Crew/CrewMax cab interior room?
    Which truck has larger disc brakes and wheels, the Chevy or the Toyota?
    Which truck has more air bags, Chevy or Toyota?
    Which truck has more safety/control features, Chevy or Toyota?
    Well, the Chevy posters made me resort to having to ask the simplest of questions in order to put aside this "non-subjective" section of the comparison to rest. I want to continue posting, but I have to get going... if somebody else can continue and follow through with more questions, that would be great, but remember, no "subjectiveness". I look forward to the answers (I think the Chevy posters will have a lot of "buts" in their reply -- subjectiveness yet again!) :D
    Answer - Toyota 5.7

Here is one for you:

Which Engine is stronger? Chevy 5.3 or Toyota 4.7?
    Which Engine is stronger? Chevy 4.8 or Toyota 4.7?

Belias, I have never debated the merits of Toyota's 5.7. Its certainly a strong motor. Will GM/Ford/Chrysler/Nissan trump it in the near future? Absolutly. The full size pickup horsepower wars are nothing new. Each company takes turns having the strongest. The strongest today is GM's 6.2 V8 although it is limited in its availability to the Sierra Denali (that will change in 2008).

I heard the same argument about the Nissan Titan and how they were going to conquer the full size pickup market because they had this monster V8 motor.
    Not sure how size of the disk brakes has anything to do with braking performance. Their are many factors that result in good braking performance. The Silverado beat the Tundra in braking in both the Car and Driver and Motor Trend comparison. Having said that, I think both truck brake very well.
    What do you mean by more room? I've sat in both trucks and I don't see any issue with lack of room in either. Does the fact that one truck has 1/4 inch more legroom make it a better truck?

Speaking of Extended Cab/Double Cab, this is an area where I will take the GMT900 setup over the Tundra setup anyday. The Tundra has small rear doors on their double cab with a solid B pillar. The opening on those rear doors are extremely small. The GMT900 Extended Cabs have no B pillar and are much easier getting into the back. As well, you will be able to load large items into the cab of th GMT900 trucks that will not fit into the Double Cab Tundra because of the B pillar.

While the CrewMax certainly has a lot of interior room, I find it very ungainly looking with those huge rear doors (and yes that is my subjective opinion). Anybody in the back of that truck will have fun trying to open those doors in a parking lot with dinging the car next to them. The reason those doors are so big is clear. Toyota uses the same front door for both the double cab and CrewMax (I'm sure for cost reasons). The front door had to be make smaller to accomodate a decent size for the back door of the double cab. The result is a very large rear door on the Crew Max. The GMT900 Crew Cab doors are more proportional.
This discussion has been closed.