Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tundra vs. Chevrolet Silverado

Comments

• beliasbelias Member Posts: 316
    Most people I know have trucks from the Big3 and as far as I can tell, they are all very good work trucks. It would be hard to argue otherwise as they have a long history here. So, I would hesitate to say that they are bad. Heck, Ford built its business around trucks! What I think has changed in recent years is the desire to have the interior of the truck be more acceptable and comparable to other vehicles. This is where I think the Big3 have fallen behind their other offerings and certainly behind trucks by competitors. But until the Titan came along, there was never really a serious competitor and even with the Titan, there were so many limitations on configuration that it couldn't be used by construction companies and the like. So the good thing about the Tundra (and arguably about the Silveraldo) is that the interiors are very nice and much more refined and improved over previous versions. For myself I really like the Tundra interior... if the 'rado's interior is like the Avalanche's, than it is much improved as well. I liked Ford's interior on its upper-class trucks -- fit and finish were pretty good -- but as far as actual features, it was lacking. Also the Ford didn't fit me well at all, it isn't good for tall people.
    I think the other advantage that the Big3 have in terms of trucks is the number of parts and the population's knowledge on how to fix things and what to look for in case of a mechanical problem. That will take anybody years to get established, but vehicles are getting more and more reliable every year. This Tundra is a serious truck and at the very least, it gives this segment a new level to reach for. No doubt it will sell well.
  • usabuyusausabuyusa Member Posts: 5
    Yes, you can get a NEW CHEVROLET SILVERADO 2007 2wd crew cab model#cc10543 with a 3:73 axle ratio and a 6.0L motor that is rated at 10,200 lbs and is has an automatic transmission and NHT Vortec Max trailering package. If there is some trick, please let me know because I think you are wrong.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Member Posts: 7,160
    True in the 2WD versions you can tow 10,200 with the 3.73 rearend but the vehicle must be ordered with the Max Trailering Pack in order to do so.

Chevy's website...
    click trailering

But on the Build/Price function you cannot get this Max Trailering Pack on any Silverado. So you're back to < 9000# with the 3.73 rearend.

It is available on the Sierra
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    you and 'usa' are debating some fringe numbers.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    Does it really matter ? 9000 tow rating will work for most. If I need to tow more than 9,000 pounds I would just get a Duramax and be done. ;)

Rocky
  • framer_rubeframer_rube Member Posts: 28
    That one matters if them ones is to be worked harder. Folks who work them trucks on farms and such, need them ones to be full size and work hard amd last longer. Them that is workin them trucks doin that hiway haul, well it don't matter much to them folks now. Some folks is chasin that truck fad, them ones won't haul with em anyhows. But for them that work em, it matters plenty now. We haul them tabacco trains nose to tail, 7-8 of em at that time. Got that need for full size ones with that haul in em.

Here be 2 trains tied up, more needin to be added:

Here is that 52 GMC, taken years back now, it sure don't look this good now days:

Here be Franklins boy, playin on that farmall:

Good luck on this one now!
    Now that's a sense of humor...... :P

Well dem farmers, ya know trust dem merican brands out dare on da farm ya know ? ;)

Rocky
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    I have relatives that have a forty acre ranch and really need a full sizer with haul. They currently have a Silvy and its just doesn't have the haul they need. This there Chevy they have just don't bear up to the work load of being a ranch vehicle. It's constantly in the shop for repairs of one sort or another. It is breaking them financially because it just can't stand up to the work load. Has anyone worked them new Silvies yet. I don't need no tell of reading and such. I heard tell in Truck Trend that the new chevy is great for luxury night out on the town. They don't do much fancy dining and such so I'm not sure the new silvy is for them. They work their ranch hard, they don't need to be taken in again. They need a truck that work day in and day out. It's obvious to them that GM isn't up to the task. They've heard tell of the legendary Toyota reputation and yearn for one of them Tundras, but they can't afford it. That old silvy has done near took all their money in repairs. Good luck on this one now!

They would have posted the above themselves, but they are real farmers/ranchers and they don't have a computer much less even know what an on line forum is.
  • geo9geo9 Member Posts: 735
    Perhaps one of those STOUT ridgeline "trucks" will
    have that "haul" they need!
    Think of the extra "haul" stashed in that innovative
    in bed trunk on them ones now !
    Haven't seen you post the virtues of them ones lately?

Why bother with either a Silverado or tundra?
    I don't know if you noticed, but this thread is about the Silvy and Tundra. The virtues of the Ridgeline are many. I could go on and on, but if you need to tow more than 5,000 lbs, your have to bump up to the 5.7 Tundra. The Ridgeline will comfortably take care of 80% of the truck owner's needs out there. It is the peoples truck. The 5.7 Tundra will handle the other 19.5%. The domestic 3/4 & 1 ton trucks can can have the .5% of the truck market.
  • denali2denali2 Member Posts: 45
    I went and tested the new Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax yesterday. The motor is awesome, shifts very nice. The interior in it is garbage. The gauges are horrible, cheap plastic everywhere. I am by far a GM nut (Own an IS350) but the new Sierra and Silverado has the interior hands down. Yes GM needs the 6.2 and the 6 Speed to equal the performance out. But for anyone buying a truck to have a truck would be crazy not to buy the Sierra Denali. You can get a fully loaded one for less then the CrewMax and have more creature comforts. I ordered the Denali yesterday.
    All I can say is that if you buy a GM truck bacause it has a better interior over the Toyota 5.7 powertrain, you obviously don't need a truck.
  • newdavidqnewdavidq Member Posts: 146
    Alright framer rube, I couldn't resist; from now on you will save typing time by substituting "they" for "them ones" without significantly losing the effect of your affected backwoods patois. Great pictures, but why is the Farmall on the trailer?
    regards, DQ
    That farmall was comin home to work that little garden that Franklin be plantin each season. That garden kept gettin bigger, so Franklin picked up that farmall to work it now. It works hard for a little one now. We use them full size masseys for that tabacco now, not them tiny farmall ones, which wouldn't last long workin them bigger fields of tabacco. We looked at them tundra ones and them ones is lookin good. Them pumpkins is on that small size, but they look to be up to that haul now. Franklin is thinkin on it... but them little pumpkins got him worried some. A good tell of folks workin em hard would help Franklin on this one. Good luck on this one now!
    I bought it cause I have dirtbikes and 4 wheelers, and don't like to pull a trailer. Plus the Denali is nicer then the Toyota.IMO
    Yep, we got that 4 wheeler right here now..

We haul this massey about now and again. Haulin this one is wearin that 52 GMC down now. Hopin that new tundra can haul this one around now. Hopin them pumkins don't pop on them ones now! Good luck on this one now!
  • als65stangals65stang Member Posts: 4
    Gm failed again to design a new truck with the Silverado they are still using alot of the same low grade quality parts they used in there last truck. Example they could have used the new 6L80 6 speed automatic, but they decided to go with the 4 speed automatic again. When will Gm get it right a new body & new interior is not really a new truck.
    The new 6.2 and 6 Speed is coming in the new trucks. All this internet hype on the Tundra is just that..HYPE. Maybe Dodge has something to worry about but Toyota has nothing on the new GM. I'm an import guy but I have to give credit where credit is due. Toyota FAILED on their interior. GM work truck interior in on par with the Limited. Toyota does have a great drivetrain though. Interior quality and panel gaps is the pits..
    Well how old is their Silvy ? Well why didn't they buy a last generation Tundra for their 40 acres ?
    It wouldn't be because it couldn't do the job at all would it ?

Bottom Line, they need to get a Tundra. If they use and abuse it as much as they did their Silverado, they will find it also will break. No truck is bullet proof being on the farm after years of use. Especially if they only own one work truck. It's a machine and will wear. I will say that the last generation silverado had one noted weakness and that was on the door hinges which GM, told me the new one would have heavy duty ones. The door hinges would wear out prematurely but the rest of the truck was pretty solid if taken care of and not abused. My FIL farms 5000 acres and uses Big 3 domestic trucks on his farm. He bought a Toyota Tundra, some years back and had to get rid of it because it couldn't pull, haul, or take the abuse of being on the farm. He said his next truck will indeed be a new Duramax 3/4 ton or if his Dodge holds up well he might settle for a half-ton Silvy/Sierra.

He likes his 05' 1-ton Dodge Cummins but said the fuel economy is horrible and wished for a bit more power. He of course owns the 6 speed manual as he doesn't trust Dodge automatics. He likes the power of the Ford Powerstrokes but steers clear of them because of the navistar engine issue. He is a big fan of the Allisson transmission that is on the Silvy/Sierra and thus it is reliable for pulling. He also heard from his farmer buddy's that have told him the new Duramax with 365 hp and 650 lbs of tq. is the most powerful on the market in terms of power, acceleration, and get the best fuel economy of all the diesel's. He said the F-450 looks nice but that is more truck than he would needs and doesn't know if Ford/Navistar got the engine problem worked out yet. He asked me and I didn't know.

Rocky
    I can't picture a Honda Ridgeline on any farm. ;)

Rocky
    What virtues does the Ridgeline have ???? It is underpowered, is a midsize, and doesn't get better gas mileage than GM's 5.3, not to mention it might be the ugliest truck on the market. :surprise: Okay it has a cool feature a trunk in the bed. All one has to do with a Silvy is buy a Tonneau cover. Problem solved. ;)

Rocky
    Well you aren't alone in your thinking.

BTW- congrats on the new GMC Sierra Denali. you need to send me pics of it when you pick her up. What color did you get ?

The 2007' GMC Sierra Denali is indeed the KING of all half-ton Trucks. :shades:

Rocky

P.S. They told me the Sierra Denali, isn't a fair comparo because it's a luxury truck. Well why does this luxury truck cost less than a Tundra Limited CrewMax ? :P
    All I can say is that if you buy a GM truck bacause it has a better interior over the Toyota 5.7 powertrain, you obviously don't need a truck.

Well why not buy the best ? Why would he want to settle for a underpowered Tundra when he can upgrade and get a 6.2 VVT V8 400 horsepower/417 lbs torque GMC Sierra Denali ????

Perhaps he looks at it this way when he isn't out pulling around Tundra's in tow contests, or whipping them 0-60, or towing them out of the ditch, or pulling them back to their residence because their 5.7 sludge up on them, he will have the best work-truck on the market with enough luxury and comfort to take the misses to the country club for a romantic evening. :D

Sorry I had to....... :P

Rocky
    Well you bought the very best IMHO. You said to yourself I want to own the best "real truck" money can buy that can play in the sand or play at country club. The Escalade EXT is indeed a great truck and will be able to do 80% of the chores needed by most folks. The Sierra Denali gives you 90% of the Slade EXT's luxury but has the capability to work hard like a regualar GMC Sierra Z-71.

I personally also am leaning towards buying a new Sierra Denali, as my next automobile. Why not own the best ? :shades:

Rocky
    They had to limit the 6-speed unit like I said before because Ford and GM went into together to share R&D to develope a sophisticated unit while keeping costs low. They both are only limited to "X" amount of units until full capacity can be reached. This is why the 6-speed is limited until next fall. ;)

Rocky
    I agree the current drivetrain is better on paper than the Silverado's. That box is checked and admitted. However the new 6-speed unit will be available this fall on the Silverado. I also will assume based on reading aerticles on the net the 6.2 will be available as well this fall. Do you really think GM, is going to let the Tundra out power it for very long ? History shows that GM, likes to be #1 in power and will address this problem for 08' ;)

Rocky
    Is them new tundra ones got that sludge? Folks is givin them tells on this? Them older forien ones had that sludge now, but what of these new ones? Can't work em any if they is full of that sludge now. What say too this one now? Good luck on this one now!
    They don't have any sludge problems yet...I was being sarcastic. I think the new Tundra, will sell very well but it's not a better truck IMHO than the Silvy. But like you know what, everyone has one. ;)

Rocky
  • drfilldrfill Member Posts: 2,484
    Toyota purposely made the panel gaps wider, thinking it would be more appropriate to not have Lexus-level gaps. Basically saying truckers aren't used to having incredibly tight fitting panel gaps.

If Toyota wanted to make a Lexus interior, I think they could handle that. They felt buttons that are small like on the Denali would hinder people who use the truck commercially. Can't be used with gloves on, etc.

I've sat in the interior, and I had a problem with the color scheme on the dash, but the dash itself isn't much different than other Toyotas, it's just much bigger.

Considering how bad the interior was of the last Silverado, anyone complaining about the Tundra interior needs to get some perspective, or hasn't been in many full-sized trucks. The last Silverado was CHEAP. :sick:

DrFill
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "I went and tested the new Toyota Tundra 5.7 CrewMax yesterday."

Well THAT'S interesting......since the CrewMax isn't supposed to be on the dealer lots until March...... :confuse:
    Well, as one poster mentioned, the CrewMax isn't even out yet and you give little specifics about anything which suggests that you didn't test drive the Tundra at all.
    As for interiors, I can understand how this would be a subjective area for many as people's tastes differ. I agree that the Denali's interior is nice, but all we have are pictures as the 07 is not offered in "Denali" trim yet (not sure when that will arrive but they are offering 07 Denali in the "classic" Chevy -- basically the older model), and the previous model's interior was hand's down the worst of all the trucks. Nissan, Ford, Dodge, Toyota -- all of them had better interiors than GM's previous model lineup. The 07's brought about a drastic change and I'll be eager to see the new Denali in person to be a good judge of it as I'm sure it will be made well. But having said that, the Chevy version (which this forum is about) has an interior that, although it is much nicer than the previous version, is still worse than the Tundra. Cheap plastic all around on their top-of-the-line model with a sticker price that is as high as the Tundra's. Not saying that Toyota's is the absolute best, but having seen the Silveraldo this weekend convinced me that the Tundra's interior is better overall. The model on the dealership floor even had seams that were uneven (i.e. wide gap on one end of the dash on the passenger's side tapering to a narrower gap at the other end, back-door seam larger than front-door seam). I even pointed it out to the salesman who admitted that crew cabs in the LTZ trim were currently hard to come by. This was their top model and it was nice to see 12-way power seats on both sides -- easy to get into a comfortable position. Mechanically the Silveraldo was pretty good and it is a large truck as well. But the interior was behind what I saw in the Tundra for sure -- especially in terms of materials. The one thing I will say was evident as a Tundra weakness was the leather seats... for some reason the leather in the Tundra I saw was not very good and certainly not as good as the Chevy's.
    So, overall it is a pretty good comparison between the Silveraldo and the Tundra. Again, it will most likely come down to preferences as they compare pretty well.
    I think i'm wrong and it's a double cab. I thought the 4 door was the CrewMax. The Sierra Denali is here in Canada. You can build it on GM's website. I don't know, to me I was expecting a lot more with Tundra. Towing #'s I could care less about. If I had big towing needs I'd get a diesel. Sure Toyota has a nice drivetrain, shifts are crisp, moves like a raped ape. But as a total pkg compared to the Sierra Denali it fails. I'm sure people that is in this market of truck will see the same. Like I said before with all this internet hype on the truck, that'll "GM will be hurting when it gets here" is a bunch of crap. Dodge may have a problem. But I think they're ready for a redo too.
    Well, I doubt that the Tundra will eat into anybody's sales at all. People in the truck industry tend to stick with their "brand" much moreso than when looking at cars.
    But, unless the Denali offers so many other features than the Silveraldo, I don't see how the Tundra could be considered a "failure" by comparison.
    The Tundra offers a lot of features that even the Denali doesn't have. I know that for most people, towing, etc. is probably more of a numbers game and bragging rights than anything, but I definitely think the Tundra is a serious truck and is done very well. Everything from the construction of the frame to the transmission and storage compartments are very well thought out. Even the little things like the tailgate's soft landing is a welcome addition to a sector that has had little innovation present outside pure power numbers.
    Again, there is no real threat to the GM trucks -- but I think it is for very different reasons -- the Toyota is, in my opinion, a better overall package than the Silveraldo (I would need to see an 07 "new" Denali to make that claim) and certainly much better than the "classic" versions of both the Denali and the Silveraldo. But most people will stay with GM because there is loyalty there and there isn't a few features that Toyota completely blasts one out of the park on compared with the new GM offerings. I think Nissan will be hurt the most, followed by Ford. Dodge and GM should loose a little business, but not much. Even though I think the Tundra is an overall much better package, again, there isn't that one "got-to-have-it" feature to lure competition away, but then again, most Toyota buyers don't look for that... they want the great package and reliability.
  • toykickstoykicks Member Posts: 95

i have to admit the silvys and sierras dash look pretty nice. But i like the truck interior look better. Dont really like the car look so much.

i prefer the look of this one. Doesnt look bland ;)
  • smithsongasmithsonga Member Posts: 123
    What is up with that Toyota interior? What is all that silver? Whoa, havent looked at it before...but that pix is ugly. :surprise:
    yeah dont really like the silver either but they all dont come with the silver dash they can be modified with different colors like the fake wood on chevy. imo The center console sucks to Like the bench seat version better doesnt look as bad.
    My Denali features are 403 HP and 417 LB TQ 6.2L VVT, 6 Speed Auto w/ Driver Shift Control,20 Chrome wheels, Unique Chrome Grill, unique woodgrain accents, deeper pile carpet, covered console storage and cupholders, heated steering wheel, Nav with reverse camera, heated front and rear seats, rear seat DVD, Sunroof, front and back leather seating, (not Vinyl) sill plates, different guage cluster, Heated washer fluid,Rainsense wipers, EZ lift tailgate, Chrome step bars, tonneau cover, chrome door handles, Remote Start, 7 speaker Bose with Sub, Stickered for $60320.00 loaded, got it for $54219.00 out the door plus taxes. A loaded up CrewMax with C pkg is $56995.00 plus tax. Toyota don't like to deal too much. So you may be able to get it $55500.00- $56000.00 and that is with no bars, tonneau, etc. ClubCab is $52450.00 + taxes. These are Canadian prices.
    Do those come with quadra steer like the old ones? Whats the mpg on the 6.2?

a fully loaded tundra with all the extras like you stated arnt over 50k here in the U.S. Canada sure makes you guys bend over :P
    No quadrasteer. GM done away with that in 05 I believe. Too expensive of an option. Like $6000.00. They had to lower it to $2000.00 then they dropped it all together. MPG should be around 15-16 in the city. 18-20 on hwy. My Dad drives a 07 Yukon Denali and he gets around that. Won't know till it gets here so it's an assumption. Yes we get raped on our vehicles. Corvette Z06 is $110000.00 here. Even factor in exchange rates it's still way cheaper in the States. This is only the pic I can find online of the Sierra Interior. My truck is ordered in White with black interior because I dont like the tan.

Good comparison. I have to admit the new limited tundras are overpriced vs. the competition. But the sr5s with the 5.7 engine arnt and probably will run you less then a 5.3 with the same options.
    What Tundra do you compare with the CrewCab?
    nice pics. Like the gmc look better then the silvy
    Crew Max
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    "What Tundra do you compare with the CrewCab?"

Actually, it's hard to say.

The Tundra has 2 distinct 4-door models: the DoubleCab and the CrewMax. The are virtually identical except in legroom.

The Tundra DoubleCab has front/rear legroom of 42.5" / 34.7".
    The Tundra CrewMax has front/rear legroom of 42.5" / 44.5".
    Yes, the rear legroom in GREATER than the front legroom in the CrewMax.

As comparison, the '07 Silvy CrewCab measures 41.3" / 38.7". So it looks as though the Silvy CrewCab slots nearly halfway between a DoubleCab and a CrewMax.
    Here the CrewMax SR5 4x4 is $41660.00 before freight or any other fees. A Sierra CrewCab 4x4 w/ 5.3 SLE pkg is $40915.00. this is where you'd be crazy not to get the Tundra if it's sticker for sticker. The transaction price on the Sierra would be around $35-36g. It is hard to get Toyota to deal. I think they are going to have no choice once the "new" factor wears off.
    I do too..But the Silvy SS I saw at the Plant is wicked looking. It'll be here in the fall.

The Dealer gave a new Sierra for the weekend that just passed. It's an SLT with the 5.3 and it's a pretty nice truck.

That is a really nice lookin' truck! I'll have to check it out when it is readily available here. I thought it would look a little more distinguished from the Silveraldo but to me it looks like the arrangement is the same, just some better materials. As for fit and finish, how do you like it? Is there anything in particular I should look for when checking it out? I know that many people will claim that their vehicle is absolutely "perfect", but there are always little things to look for to make sure you are getting a well-built vehicle. Let me know!
    Just a note to those comparing MPG -- do the conversion when talking with people from Canada (I know, I used to be Canadian and spent most of the first 26 years of my life there). A Canadian gallon is ~ 4.54 liters (litres for Canadians!) as opposed to 3.78 liters. So when they say they get 15-16mpg city and 18-20mpg hwy (as you stated), it is really equivalent to 15to16/4.54 * 3.78 = ~12.5to13.33mpg city and 18to20/4.54 * 3.78 = ~15to16.67mpg highway.
    That is just so we can compare apples to apples... a number of my friends in Canada thought that cars in Canada somehow were more fuel-efficient until they understood this conversion. It is the difference between the two types of gallons (imperial and standard?). Anyhow, that still isn't too bad for an engine that size compared to other offerings here.
    i noticed the crew max has more leg room, hip room and shoulder room then the crew cab silvy and sierra. The tundra crew max is almost in mega cab territory :surprise:
    It is doubtful that any deals will be made on the new Tundra for at least the first 6 months... Toyota doesn't tend to do much for deals to begin with and they certainly won't do it with this new Tundra until demand for it slows down somewhat...
    When I post MPG I think of you guys...Those MPG are US MPG's. If you're talking about my Denali i don't have it yet. I'm driving just the normal Sierra right now but it's loaded with leather. Since the Denali improves on it, it's going to be a fabulous vehicle. The only thing I'd like changed is the shifter to the console.
This discussion has been closed.