Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra Problems

13»

Comments

• bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    It seems that you are just a little angry. You need a time out.

There are easily 5 times more GM owners posts to Tundra topics recently.

Over the last 2 years, there have been at least a hundred times more posts from unfortunate GM owners (ObywannaTUndra and Quad are two of the most desperate) Than Tundra owners posting in Chebby topics.

What are you trying to say? Is it OK for GM owners(including yourself) to post to Tundra topics, but not OK for Tundra owners to post to GM topics? That certainly does not make a lot of sense.

I think that GM owners really want to hear from a Tundra owner. Don't you?
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    kills me

angry?....nahh...being myself.....I tame down to come here...you couldn't handle the real me junior...trust me

I'll post whatever, wherever, whenever I want...regardless of what you or PF tells me...

poor PF....has to be pulling his hair out....what little may be left...LOL

Yard is calling me......C yawl tonight perhaps..

- Tim
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    "Come on now....IMHO, Toyota owners are MUCH more likely to over-rate their truck's quality when surveyed than other vehicle owners. Just look at the owners ratings here on Edmunds. Or take a look at CR. Their ratings are compiled from owners who return a survey form. CR does test vehicles themselves, but their annual auto ratings are based on very unscientific/unverified survey returns. Several of the Toyota owners who post here are a perfect example of what I am saying.......They act like they don't even believe it when another Toyota owner posts a problem and asks for help."

I don't believe you said that. That's completely ridiculous. Maybe some of the diehard toyota fans would mark their survey forms as all good, but so would diehard Chevy fanatics or Ford junkies. FYI - I consider myself pro Ford but bought a Toyota cause I felt it was overall the best choice for me, not because it's a "Toyota". And I don't have a problem telling the truth about my auto experiences when marking a survey form. I feel this is an good way for the manufacturer to improve upon the products it makes.

So, I think it washes out in the end. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that's why they always state that surveys have a +/- rating of a couple of percentage points which would include people intentionally and unintentionally skewing the results(but don't shoot me with that .45 if I'm wrong - just thinking out loud). And how do you go about verifying survey info anyways? That's a pretty tedious job with any kind of meaningful survey sample. DaveCrook1 knows about TS. I responded to his first post way back when he was looking for a dealer in the East that would do a special build for him. I pointed him to the TS website.

Face it - the reason the Tundra gets good ratings is because the truck IS good. Maybe not good to people that don't like or own the truck, but good to the majority of those who actually have one, as reflected in the ratings. Fire away!
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Yes I know Fred, his wife, and kids.
    YES he just got rid of his 11 yo Chevy
    for a new Tundra ! He is from Syracuse
    I am in Hannibal (30 miles north). We
    both have summer places in Alexandria Bay
    NY ! I would of taken that handle but he
    had it and I contacted him thru E-mail !
    He likes his new Tundra, but had question
    about port, dest, regional fees whatever !
    I turned him on to the OTHER site cuz they
    let all the dealers sell all over THOSE
    threads (BUT NOT HERE) sO that he could get
    an HONEST ANSWER ! NOT !!!!!!!
    If you would archive back thru the 'rado
    threads you will see his old posts !
    But u being new here I understand......Geo
  • h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    In fact, being that Toyota owners are more demanding than average (because they've been spoiled), I would venture to say they would complain more than your average vehicle owner when something goes awry. For example, about 3000 Toyotas out of 3 million + were found to have some kind of oil sludge problem. With all the commotion that caused, you would have thought the apocalypse was upon us! By comparison, GM would be relieved if only 3000 of their engines knocked.

To take my example even further, look how many people complain of Toyota rust to this day, right sonjaab?

No, I would say the Toyota folks are pretty critical are forthcoming when they rate their vehicles. But kudos to the GM folks. Good effort on their part!
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    And I had 2 3yo rusted ones with the bad
    head gaskets and the 1 yr 12k warranty.
    Check out that OTHER SITE for Tundra
    problems. Real owners and problems !
    See, sonjaab was a Toyota owner and look how critical he is! My point exactly. Thanks for the illustration, sonjaab.
    ttt on a engine/drivetrain topic while you were posting here. Hmmmm....
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    I notice you don't refute my point about several Tundra owners here who will not believe another Tundra owner posting for help with a problem. I would post links, but most of them are in the CLOSED toyota Tundra problems. Why do you think that the owner ratings on this board are so much higher than the editors ratings on the Toyota trucks? I watched through the 70's and through 1986, as CR users and editors recommended Toyota products while they were rusting off the frames.
    Please don't try to imply that I have EVER said Tundras are BAD trucks. Are they Perfect, or the Best at everything from towing to hauling to handling to ride to comfort to size to quality to power? No, I don't think so. BUT, some of the Tundra owners who post on Edmunds like to insist that they are. I have never considered your posts to reflect that attitude.
    Also, remember that CR surveys are skewed geographically, as well as economically and politically. If I can find the article someone posted about their bias and why it exists, I'll post the link again.
    If you want another example of Toyota owners having a reason to trivialize their problems, consider this: How many times have you heard Tundra owners/wanna be's on this board say how low GM owners expectations are? Implying that their expectations for their choice of vehicle is so much higher. Therefore, IF they admit having problems with their Toyota, they are admitting they made a bad choice. They have to perpetuate the perception, true or not, that Toyotas are trouble free in order to keep bashing the quality of other brands.
    Does Toyota build quality trucks? Yes, IMHO. But, so do Ford, GM, and plenty of others. The few Tundra owners who frequent this board want everyone who visits here to believe Tundras are perfect AND GMs are junk. They do not seem to be able to discuss their problems (or others) like the Ford, Dodge,and GM guys do in their topics. BUT, there are other discussion sites where this happens.
    Tom
    there is only one authorized Toy dealer that posts on TS. One of the moderators there tried to explain that to Alexbay but got no response. Again, I think it's you buddy!!!
    "Why do you think that the owner ratings on this board are so much higher than the editors ratings on the Toyota trucks?"

Don't you think that comment would be more applicable to the Sierra? I urge you to read Edmunds' long term review of their Sierra, then compare their opinion of the truck to owner ratings on this board.
    Just responding to your reply, no flames here intended:

I didn't refute your point about the Tundra owners non-belief of any problems cause I didn't get the impression that they perceived the truck to be perfect, or that they were just stating that as a joke. Maybe I'm wrong on that, cause there was quite abit of back and forth in the last week or so just prior to the thread closing. Just go over to TS and you'll see that there are problems with the truck (any vehicle has problems).

In my previous post I wasn't implying that you thought the truck sucked, I was making a statement in general. Actually, I think I remember that you posted that you'd be interested in a Toy truck if it had all the features you were looking for right?

"I watched through the 70's and through 1986, as CR users and editors recommended Toyota products while they were rusting off the frames"

I don't know of a easier/better way to get average performance data than that back in the '70 through the mid 80's. It's easier access and there's more info available now in the 21 Century. Also, it's natural to form an opinion on something based on a couple of examples, heck -I admit I prolly do it all the time.

I don't agree that the CR surveys are skewed as you mentioned other than possibly, financially. I think the article you are referring to was posted by Quad several weeks ago. But after my rebuttal post on the article, the post got deleted somehow. The article said something about CA being all winding roads or something, which is ludicrious (sp).

Yeah, I seriously considered the Silverado because of looks/performance/price/features and could of ended up owning one, had it not been for my reservations about the reliability. F150 was a contender but didn't like the crash test results. I am not loyal to ANY brand other than Ford Mustangs (I gonna be building my 5-oh into a camaro eater soon - no rice here!). I consider my expectations very high, so I agree with you that the statements about GM owners having low expectations are not correct, cause I could see myself in a GM truck (if I had more confidence in the reliability).

BTW, my Tundra is not perfect, it's got a fairly small resonance type vibration coming through the driver side floorpan at about 2500 rpm at any speed. I'm guessing it's the natural frequency of something under there and hopefully all that is needed is to tie it down abit or install some kind of isolation media, like on the brake lines or converter heat shields or something. But so far, nothing else (knock on wood). Had it up to 100 mph the other day and was pretty stable. Not bad for a truck.

Well, sorry for the long post. I gotta get out of here and do something today other than sitting at the computer (yes dear, I'll be right there...)

Have a good weekend.
    To be continued....

You have a good weekend, too!
    Tom
  • capt2capt2 Member Posts: 57
    How bout keepin these boards on topic. Use your DELETE key for any off topic post. It will make the boards worth reading...which they aren't now!
    kinda like the Silverado topics that got ruined by Tundra fans........I got one word about the Tundra topics being ruined....

WWWWWAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

- Tim
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    In regards to your last post ...

" I'll post whatever, wherever, whenever I want...regardless of what you or PF tells me..."

You are most certainly a disgrace to this board with such an attitude. You are here in a private forum and should at the very least be able to obide by Edmunds' rules, as well as show some respect for our hosts and other posters. You sir are not in here as a potential Tundra owner, at least you haven't expressed that interest as of yet. Nor do any of your posts do anything remotely constructive in the name of this topic.

At least the other non Tundra owners such as Quad and Oby post things which can be related to the Tundra and so on. I dont wanna hear about how theres no GM topics. If anything the Toyota Tundra guys have this topic and this one only. GM guys have GM engine knock, Rado 1500 vs 2500, GMC Sierra probs, and Rado/Sierra owners hangout forums to name a few. So as Bama has repeatedly asked, why are you here posting to a topic that you could care less about ??? Just here taking up space by the looks of it.
    Just curious ... does this problem only happen the first 5 miles or so when the truck has been sitting for a long time or cold. Or does it happen regardless of how warm the truck is, just everytime you first start off driving the first 5 miles or so. It might very well be a brake issue, and the noise subsides as the compenents heat up. If it was a rotor issue you might notice a slight shimmy of the front wheels under hard braking, or a slight pulsation in the brake pedal. The truck is still very new so these signs might not be as apparent.

I believe you have the 4WD, so I haven't ruled out anything to do with the drive train necessarily, although lets hope its a much simpler problem.
    Help me remember who it was and in what topic about Tundras that someone actually posted that the reason Toyota did not sell more Tundras than they do is because they are limiting production to maintain the quality.....and they are just testing the market. Anyone remember who that wizard was?
    Tom
    Don't let some Toy fans start [non-permissible content removed].....then give me the "greater than thou" attitude like you are so proper and of great holyness....

I , and many others did post in correct forums...and gave tons of good advice and help....and when a fellow toy owner wants to start some [non-permissible content removed].....don't give me any crap about mis-conduct....

perhaps you sit back and wimp out......not me

I can be civil......but shut down my topic....and I'll mess with yours any time I feel like it....

....uh oh...beer dry......I gotta roll

Good luck on this one now!

- Tim

(send my warning PF!)
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
    I think the difference in the number of inapropriate posts in Tundra/GM topics is in direct proportion to the number of vehicles sold.You ,as a small minority here,should be aware that when you go stir up trouble in topics where there are hundreds of owners discussing serious issues some will come to where you are to continue your "discussion"
    I can't say for sure but I think it was the same guy that put FORGED PISTONS in Tundras.Gussing about this too ,3/4 ton Tundra W/ big block?

kip
    Post #105 in "Toyota 3/4 ton with big block v8"

kip
    "(send my warning PF!)"

I think PF has given fair warning more than enough times. The next step is to start banning people from this site. Correct me if I'm wrong but, that can be done based on your IP address so it's not as simple as re-registering under a different name. You'd need to get a different ISP or use someone else's computer to get back in.

So let's all just take a breather, take a drive around the block in our trucks and enjoy the rest of the weekend.
  • quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Email me for bike update!

motronix@vsdrives.com
    haven't done anything the GM owners haven't, and vice-versa. If anything, the GM owners are more at fault, as there's a regular GROUP of them causing commotion in the Toyota threads, whereas the resident Toyota owner raising a ruckus in GM threads can be pretty much narrowed to a single individual - bamatundra.

So mgdvhman - save the temper tantrum and drama for your mama. Did you really think we'll sympathize with you?

Of course, truly finding the guilty party would neccesitate finding exactly who started this nonsense. Quite an undertaking, especially since I'm sure certain posters have multiple identities in these forums. Not to mention some posters have a habit of stirring the pot then deleting their posts, right obyone?

Can you imagine what the GM folks would say, mgdvhman, if this entire discussion had taken place in your off-limits GM threads?
    My comments to you had nothing to do with Toyota owners starting something in your "topics" or anything of the likes. It strictly has to do with the statement you made about not caring what PF our host thinks and that you will post whatever you like. Hey this is a private forum and is therefore governed by an organization of some sort, not the U.S. constitution.

No I personally dont sit back and wimp out, I've always spoke my mind, but always with the due respect to whom I am speaking. I admire your courage to speak freely, but to say you're going to do it at all costs, even if its against forum rules, or our hosts judgement seems silly. I have no idea about the nature of fights you've had with Toy owners and in what topics. Im not pro Toy and anti GM or the rest. I dont agree with anyone in these threads who spends more energy on becoming a problem and less on being a solution.

" I can be civil......but shut down my topic....and I'll mess with yours any time I feel like it.... "

Why do we need these comments here ??? I didn't personally shut down your topic nor did I engage in any of the so called fighting. Theres quite a few others who have nothing to do with it as well, yet you believe the answer is to come in here and get your due revenge. So you admit that you're only here to start trouble and you want me or any of the rest of the serious posters in here to respect you ??? Even though it's a bit off topic, I'll talk 1/2 ton trucks in here anyday, Tundra or not, but are you even in here to do that much ???

BTW - Im not a Toy owner so these so called fellow Toy owners you refer to are just as fellow to you I suppose. I've been a GM guy ALL my life, and currently drive a Ford.

Cheers
  • ndahi12ndahi12 Member Posts: 235
    PLEASE CLOSE THIS THREAD. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TUNDRA PROBLEMS. EITHER CLOSE IT OR CHANGE ITS NAME TO "TUNDRA VS. ALL." THAT IS A MORE APPROPRIATE NAME.
  • davecrook1davecrook1 Member Posts: 13
    Just a little more detail on this apparent problem-yes,the vehicle is brand new-220 miles. The noise ONLY occurs after the vehicle has sat and become "cold soaked."It lasts for approx. the first five miles thereafter and is a faint but distinct,cyclical,rubbing noise which can be felt through your feet on the floorpan. It APPEARS to be coming from the left front though I can't be certain of that.
    Thanks.
    Tom
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Host= Pf_flyer
    CAPITAL LETTER= shouting
    Flag = Lebanon, your destination with your Tundra?
    ndahi12= person who says Tundra has forged pistons

houdini

Unless you have something to take up with me, I suggest you either keep my name out of your posts, take it to mgdvhman's site or email.

Bamatundra

You asked why I hadn't posted a solution to dave's problem. Answer is simple. I was waiting for you to answer in which case you didn't. Refer to my first statement regarding knowlegeable Tundra owners.
    Sounds like a warped brake rotor to me ,but it don't seem like it would go away completely after it gets warm.Are you sure it's not still there ,but quieter?

kip
    ...That's where e-mail and the net sucks......you can't tell a persons tone..

This board never brings out temper for me......just laughter of yawl...

it may seem angry, perhaps due to me not caring to be 100% politically correct all the time........I can be very reasonable....but come into good topics and start crap....get them shut down....then [non-permissible content removed] due to "off topic" or "non-owner" crap.....well....you asked for it......too bad it stays in this "censored" forum....

like i said.....I tame down for "you people"

DAMMMMMNNNNNNNN would a live get together be awesome.....settle this crap once and for all.......trust me....I'd rather talk trucks and be civil......"But Bama started it Mommy!!!!!".....LOL

Good Luck on this one now!

- Tim
    I would even consider taking it, but why shouldn't I show you the same courtesy as you've shown me? When you had "something to take up with me" you did it publicly and "vulgarally," then deleted it. You didn't do it through private channels, such as email, which is what you are requesting me to do.

Here's my suggestion to you: If you don't like the heat, quit trolling in Toyota threads. The response you received for your actions was well-deserved. And please don't respond by e-mailing me. I get enough trash mail as it is.
    I don't know that Oby did delete his posts in GM engine knock.Mine disappeared within minutes of my posting it,and there was no "flaming" in it,although it was personal(just like this).It addressed the discussion at hand,which was off topic.
    Don't get me wrong.I'm not taking sides on this,but I read your cut and paste and didn't think it was that big of a deal.I think PF is TRYING to calm things down here and we have a responsibility to go along with him.

kip
    The incident I'm referring to didn't occur in the GM engine knock thread. This has been an ongoing problem, and what happened wasn't an isolated incident. To my knowledge, not even bamatundra engages in this spineless behavior.
  • kcowboykcowboy Member Posts: 33
    I've yet to see a legit problem concerning a Tundra posted here, just unwanted and disgruntled gm owners posting.... I mean blundering.

If any fellow Tundra owners need real info. concerning legitimate if any... problems. Then go to a real site like TS. The local Walmart should be able to answer the gm questions.
    Have you taken a peek under the truck? I've got a small vibration at 2,500 rpm on my Tundra that comes thru the driver's side floor pan and I think its something thats rattling under there (i.e. brake lines hopefully). I'm gonna check it out today. Maybe you have something similar and goes away for the most part after the truck heats up (i.e. exhaust system). Good luck on finding it. Post what you find out.
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I can't believe this forum. I have come here recently hoping to get some valuable information regarding the Tundra. All I see is a bunch of immature people exchanging insults. Get a life people!!!!!!
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You are correct. It is a gas isnt' it?

houdini

Trolling in the Tundra threads....? What are you talking about? You mentioned obyone seeking some form of justification? Doh!! Now that's a good one. If anyone's the wannabe here....well let's say it's not me. For whatever purpose you've chosen, really doesn't matter. Fact is you seem to help liven things up...as old Bama and his Tundra seemed to be outnumbered. Keep up the good work.

Where would this topic be if we weren't all here to discuss the problematic Tundra. I'll bet Toyota corporate is trying to figure how the Tundra made that top 25 list of lemons as of this moment. Facts are facts...Good luck on this one now!!
This discussion has been closed.