Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Tundra Problems

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    GM full sized trucks: 284,632

Ford F series trucks: 270,184

Source:

http://www.pickuptruck.com/html/otf0999.html

• bamatundrabamatundra Member Posts: 1,583
    You are confused. GM is a manufacturer, not a brand.

The Ford F series is a brand. Sort of like the Chevy Shakerado that it easily outsells (by more than 50,000 trucks). Nice try though.
  • tomh12tomh12 Member Posts: 240
    I really thought our host was serious, BUT I guess he was just kidding when he posted the following in the "Chevy Silverado-Continued XVIII" topic.......

"6373 of 6405 Guys by pf_flyer HOST May 14, 2002 (04:30 am)
    This is stopping NOW...

If you need to post insulting nicknames for the other guys truck to make your point, you need to find another way to make your point or take it someplace else.

Notes making reference to Lemonado, Tindra, Shakerado, etc... are not approriate.

Disagree all you want about the trucks, but keep it civil."

I guess he must have just been kidding around, since your last post says........

"#53 of 53 Oby by bamatundra May 17, 2002 (11:19 am)
    You are confused. GM is a manufacturer, not a brand.

The Ford F series is a brand. Sort of like the Chevy Shakerado that it easily outsells (by more than 50,000 trucks). Nice try though."

Did you just make a little mistake typing the word SHAKERADO in that post, or did you intend to type that? Maybe our host will step in and tell us whether he really meant what he has said as he was closing what, 7? 8??, topics in the last couple of days.

What about it PF.....did you mean what you said, or not?

Tom
  • h0udinih0udini Member Posts: 118
    still with us! Whew, I was getting worried there...

obyone, you seem like a smart guy, why don't you help out these folks with their Tundra problems? What's that you say? Nobody is posting Tundra problems? My point exactly!
    I am sorry. You are obviously being ignored by the Tundra owners because they can't believe anyone would actually have a problem, no matter how small, with their Tundra.

Please forgive the rudeness of our not even acknowledging your post.....

"#42 of 55 New Tundra-front end noise by davecrook1 May 17, 2002 (09:00 am)
    Just took delivery a week ago and only have about 40 miles on it but have noticed an apparent front end noise when cold. Very faint but distinct rubbing/grinding for first 5 miles after cold startup-sounds like it's coming from left front end. Anybody have any ideas. It's a 2002 Access Cab V8 4wd."

I would suspect front brake pads rubbing, but more information on the sound would help. Any other ideas out there????

Tom
  • losangelesemtlosangelesemt Member Posts: 279
    Since you're the only one in here who seems to have posted according to the topic lol ... in regards to post 42 ... Im not sure how familiar you are with engines and related components, but does this sound like cold start knock possibly. Is it necessarily isolated to engine, or possibly in drive train, steering/suspension assemblies ??? Kind of a downer to have barely driven a truck home and have a strange noise already. Any thoughts on your part ??? Does noise go away/lessen when engine has sat a while, and is restarted in warmer weather ???
    Aren't you just a little confused? PF Flyer wrote this at the start of THIS topic:

"But be forewarned... this will NOT be a place to argue about Brand X is better or worse than Brand Y.

It's time to show a little self control folks...

I'll also link this discussion to the Toyota Owners Clubs message boards... "

It seems that you and other GM truck owners conveniently forgot.

By the way - I'm sorry that I called your knocking GMs "Shakerados". Please accept my apology.

As far as someone answering Dave's post - did you consider this: No one knew an answer and therefore did not post. Geez! - You sure are being sensitive.

May I make a helpful suggestion: If you and the myriad of GM owners posting about your HUGE trucks to a Tundra problems topic want to avoid getting your feelings hurt - you might try posting to GM topics instead.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I'm TRYING to not have anyone disappear here... but I'm not getting much help.

Let's see if we can make it through the weekend without having to shoot anyone OK?

EVERYONE involved has made their points... REPEATEDLY.

Agree to disagree and move on without any parting shots please.

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

I accept your knocking engine, bad rotor Tundra apology. We GM owners don't have many places to post anymore since you got them all shut down. LOL

I hope Mr. Davecrook1 doesn't have that dreaded Toyota cold start knock that losangelesemt mentioned in his post, but I don't believe he does since he said it was more of a "grinding" noise while driving the first 5 miles or so. Do you think it could be related to the BAD ROTOR problem that Tundra had repeatedly with their brakes? Do you think they could have gotten another bad batch? His truck is probably very recent production since it only has 40 miles on it. Unless it sat on a dealer lot for an extended period of time.
    Tom
    I'm shore am glad that we have this endless supply of GM owners to tell us how BAD we Tundra owners really have it. I'm shore glad that Tom is doing it as a labor of love. IF Tom didn't tell me how horrible my Tundra was, I would think it was perfect - other than weak seatbelt retractors.

Man!, I'm glad that we have Tom here to tell me about my non-existent knocking engine and brake problems.

Tom - I'm sure that according to the GM owners in this topic (you included) poor Davecrook's engine is about to fall out since he hears a noise from his front end. Do you expect anyone other than unfortunate GM owners to believe this tripe?

Don't you GM owners have anything better to do - like write letters to the BBB for your buybacks?

Tom - You yourself admitted that your GM is knocking - shouldn't you be posting to the GM knockers group?

I hope this post helps you. Good luck on this one now!
    This is not the place to seek Tundra solutions. Dave is evidence of that. Posts a problem and gets completely ignored. Seen it happen too many times. Course you know where to find any kind of Tundra solutions now don't ya?
    here? I think it really doesnt matter what you own more important there are like what 4 Tundra owners here? Makes for great conversation eh?

And Tom is right about you having a problem with name calling. Ahh we'll see who makes it through the weekend.

Was following a Tundra with a lift gate. I couldn't believe my eyes and it wasn't sitting on the jounce bumpers either. Followed the guy into a gas station cause I just had to know what he used that tailgate lift for. Well come to find out, that its used for carrying core samples of contaminated dirt from gas station sites.

I also asked if the suspension was stock. Answer I got was a look that he thought I was crazy. He answered course not. Got airbags to support the weight of the lift gate plus carry the load. Said when the first installed the lift, there was a one inch gap from the suspension to the jounce bumpers with the headlights pointing upwards. Truck was pretty much useless till he got the airbags.

Wishin y'all the best of luck making it through this weekend....

Good luck on this one now!!!
    The GM truckowners group wants an instant answer to your question. Since apparently very few Tundra owners have had this problem, they are unable to help you - unfortunately.

The Gm Truckowners are inhabiting this group because they are hugely unsatisfied with their own trucks.

I am wondering why the GM truckowners are not posting how great their trucks are to GM groups. They seem to gravitate to Tundra groups. Just a little unsatisfied"

Ton has said he wants a Tundra. He owns a realatively new GM knocker. What does this say?
  • kg11kg11 Member Posts: 530
  • hillhoundhillhound Member Posts: 537
    "I post facts, but you don't acknowldege them. Please tell me again how great your 5.3 is, making a whopping 10 lb/ft torque at a higher RPM than Toyota's 4.7. Better yet, compare your 4.8 to the Toyota and tell me how great it is. Still better yet, tell me how great the GM diesels were."

Check this out: http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/vortec/apps/vehicle/images/lm7curve.jpg

As you can see the 5.3L makes it max torque of 325lb-ft @ a high 5200 rpms but is still putting

out 300lb-ft @ just over 2000 rpms! Don't make the mistake of comparing engines based on maximum torque output alone. The maximum output of all the new Vortec motors comes at high rpms but there's plenty of power down low too.

Check out a torque curve for the iforce Tundra V8 and see what torque it's making at 2000rpms...that is if you can find a graph for it. I've never been able to locate one. I'd like to see it.

Great post!

ROTFLMAO.....Really!!!!

Tom
    was intentionally ignored. These Tundra threads really only have a few regular posters as it is. If you're lucky there's actually a few who own Tundra's. I simply can only troubleshoot based on my years in the shop, and as a non-owner. If there's only so many posters, and possibly even less with any knowledge to specific problems in here, then who's left to answer Dave ??? Not very many people at all.

Dave we'll await any further testimony from you. I certainly don't feel you were ignored as a matter of arrogance. Hopefully your issue can be resolved before it tarnishes the experience of a new truck.
    I agree.

Sorry Dave,but there's only a handfull of Tundra owners here and most won't admit there's anything thier truck won't do for fear of being slamed by us GM owners.Have you taken it to the dealer yet.It's been my experience that auto dealers are interested in keeping customers satisfied.The cost of repairs is paid by the factory so the dealer gets paid and keeps a customer.It's not a problem till they say it's your fault(for Toyotas) or it's normal(for us GM guys)

kip
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Check out www.tundrasolutions.com
    The guys over there can probably help
    you out..good luck......geo
    Who was responsible for getting the last Tundra topic that was shut dowm? Well - we had Sonja, Quad, (both of which posted 40 posts in 13 days) hound, ObywannaTUndra and KG11.

What a surprise!, the same GM owners are trying to get this topic shut down. I wonder if they aren't the same unfortunate GM owner. They all are beginning to sound the same. This incessant whining is very annoying.

Why is it, if you guys are SOOOO!! happy with your trucks, that you feel the need to post to a Tundra group. Don't give me that crap that Tundra owners post to GM groups because that has not happened since this topic started. Are you guys REALLY that insecure? Apparently so.

Tom has a brand new Chevy and says that he is considering a Tundra. Does that say something? You guys need to wake up and smell the coffee!
    Tom, I applaud you for your post #56. At last, a GMC owner actually posted something that relates to this topic - though it was done more in the spirit of a comeback than anything else. But I will give credit where credit is due. I don't care what everybody else says about you. You are "A-OK" in my book.

hillhound, if you look closely at your graph, the 5.3 starts to make 300 lb/ft torque at about 2500rpm, not 2000rpm as you suggest. Let's quit the exaggerations and wishful thinking, OK? Know what would REALLY interest me? A chart for GM's 4.8, which is a better comparison to Toyota's 4.7. You conveniently forgot to post it. Hard to imagine, I know...

obyone, for a second I thought you were somebody else, what with the absence of profanity and disappearing posts and all. I'm speechless.

And sonjaab, you've got that "tundrasolutions" line down real well. How long did that take, anyway? You are always welcome to chip in your .02 cents!
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    is simply that there are no knowledgable Tundra owners at Edmunds. Before the flaming starts, the correct answer for Dave is what sonjaab posts in #70. Cause I'm sure for whatever he's worth, Bama, would help a fellow Tundra owner if he knew how.

Now, how's about an answer to that long ignored question. Does or doesn't the Tundra and its 4.7 have forged pistons?
    Why don't you have an answer for Dave? Why don't you tell him all about your Tundra. OH - YOU DON"T OWN A TUNDRA? Just another (of the many sorry GM owners?

I predict some of your unfortunate GM buddies will come to your rescue. Will it be Quad?, Hillhound? Or - are you all the same?
  • twowheelertwowheeler Member Posts: 89
    You related to 'Alexbay' from Syracuse, NY, who's been trolling in the Tundrasolutions BBS over the last week or so ? (incidentally 'it' signed up within the last week). Isn't Syracuse about 50 or so miles from Hannibal? That loser sure is trying his hardest to stir up some crap at TS. Kinda funny that this person posted some BS there while you were posting here telling everyone to check out the TS site. You're busted Geo!
    Houdini I'm quite amused with your last post, nice wit there without crossing into the forbidden zone.

Wheels ... aka Magnum, nice work son.
    "hillhound, if you look closely at your graph, the 5.3 starts to make 300 lb/ft torque at about 2500rpm, not 2000rpm as you suggest. Let's quit the exaggerations and wishful thinking, OK? Know what would REALLY interest me? A chart for GM's 4.8, which is a better comparison to Toyota's 4.7. You conveniently forgot to post it. Hard to imagine, I know..."

Here's your 4.8L graph-well the link won't copy so just click on the 4800 Vortec:
    http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/vortec/apps/vehicle/vortec4300_lg3.htm

Looks like you conveniently forgot to post the mighty Tundra's 4.7 iforce graph, huh? Anyway the point of my last post went over your head. No surprise there but the point I tried to make was that it's useless to judge an engine based on maximum toruqe alone. The 5.3 and 4.8 torque curves are fairly flat, and the 5.3L makes 300lb-ft at 2380rpms to be exact since you insist on it. I said it gets 300lb-ft at a little over 2000rpms, not 2000 as you knowingly misquoted me as claiming-get your stuff straight. Now, I'll let you go back to comparing the Tundra's V8 to the GM 4.8L since you get so upset when we compare it to the 5.3L!!

BTW-I made an error in my last post. I stated the 5.3L reached max torque @ 5200rpms and that's wrong obviously. It's actually much lower @ 4000rpms. Sorry.

Actually amusing is quite a good word to use in describing HIS posts.

And it's unfortunate that someone is trolling at tundrasolutions. I've always been impressed with the integrity of the posts there. If anyone wants useful info about Tundras or problems that's the best place to go, IMO.
    Its usually a pretty knowledgeable site ... great taste with less filling lol. I always respect anyone in here who doesn't resort to mindless banter to push a point across. How many times do the forum doors have to be slammed shut before the message appears clearly. Well we'll see how long this one lasts. Hopefully there isn't a virus that's spread to T Solutions.

Cheers my friend
    Have a good weekend and try to keep an eye on things around here! If I understand correctly you don't even own a Tundra but you seem to be the most knowledgeable Tundra fan on these threads. Hope you are able to get your truck soon! Later!
  • davecrook1davecrook1 Member Posts: 13
    had a chance to drive the truck again yesterday after a week away on business-noise still there for first five miles or so. It's faint but distinct and can be felt (through the floorpan) as a rubbing/grinding noise PROBABLY coming from left front. I would suspect the warped rotor though I'd like any ideas/experiences from you folks. It does not seem to begin until reaching 30-35 mph. It always disappears after 5 miles or so.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Good job of not letting it get too far out of control in the last 20 or so posts guys, but...

All of it was OFF TOPIC. Let's get AWAY from talking about each other and who said what or who caused what to be shut down and get back to the topics, OK?

Don't go posting in the other guys topic JUST to make a point about YOUR truck.

Let's live through the weekend!

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

Thank you for the compliment.

Kg11......I'm still laughing at your answer to Bamatundra's question about what it says that I have a "new" GMC, but am interested in a Tundra........

"He don't need a truck"

LOL LOL LOL

How true that would be!

What Bamatundra is just not quite correct about is that I am not interested in the Tundra. Lost interest in it when I checked its capabilities and size. What i said I was interested in was a LARGER, MORE POWERFUL (bigger and better) Tundra. One with at least 1600-2000 pounds more towing capacity and a larger extended cab.....like the other big three full size pickups.
    Tom
    Ditto on the lost interest.I AM disappointed to think my GMC probably won't last 150k as all 6 of the Toyotas I've owned did.
    If I had bought a Tundra I would have been disapointed in everything except life expectancy.200k is a long time to drive something that won't work for you.My Tacoma had a 4lb lower hualing capacity than Tundra.

kip
  • mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    Chevy with 156K and it's over 200K now and goes strong.....

..next theory please...

- Tim

....and it was actually full sized!
    In fact, you should post your message for all the folks in the numerous GM problem threads. You could be an inspiration for them, a beacon of hope assuring them there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I will speculate that if your truck has 200K miles on, it's not a newer GM. Many folks that share your experiences have changed their opinion after owning the new breed of GMs.
    Let's be realistic about how MANY folks have changed their minds.....don't make the mistake of reading the few disgruntled posters here and thinking that is a high percentage of GM truck owners.

My 2001 GMC is the best truck I have ever owned or driven. Hands down! If I was replacing it today, I'd buy another in a "heartbeat"!! I've purchased 20+ NEW vehicles for personal use in my life. Everything from Toyotas to Chryslers, 1969 to 2001. Not one has been perfect. My current GMC comes as close as any.
    Tom
    ...and after owning my 2K 2500....I still have faith it will go the long run......although I like newer vehicles so may not see it?...held on to last one longer than normal.....if I sell it to a friend again...I'll know.

This is all so hilarious with yawl......some GM's have a knock.....most don't...Ford had this problem...so did Toys...amongst their other numerous problems..

ALL truck and cars have flaws and defects and even recalls...Ford is the King of recalls....but yet on top?....(well...not now)..

Nothing is perfect , and I am smart enough to know that....are you?

Toys make good vehicles....but I prefer to support my country with the largest chunk of profit staying here.....regardless of the marketing tactics they use by building it here. I like the ameriacn looks better as well.....and a toy is just not full size enough for a large person like me......"fact be facts now..."

They all are good...but they all suck......if that makes sense...

to say toys are up .44% and GM down 2%...so they must be better....gimme a break....you use the saddest comparisons......an Ave. sale compared to a Tundra.......OK...let's compare first year sales of the two...what was the toy..?...Like 6,000 or less?

I care that Chevy makes 1.....mine....that's all

I come to Edmunds and have to tame down from my normal self.....I live for debates like this and harrassing others in fun....and sometimes serious....but usually with a foul tone. Perhaps yawl do it to get a rise out of people?.....some individuals get very mad (remember good old F150rules?).....I leave here laughing....

So grow up and keep the garbage for a live get together one day......if you could stomach it.

Good Luck on this one now!

- Tim
    Amen, brother!

And pass the ammo.....

Tom
    with the exception of one nagging detail - it doesn't take much to make your typical GM owner satisfied, a fact that is reinforced time and again on these boards. But if you're satisfied, good for you - it is your money, afterall.

And if GM is no more problematic than any of the other makes, why does it hands-down generate more response to poor build quality and problems than the other makes?
    I disagree...

I believe I like each new Chevy I get more and more.....saying each one is "the best one yet".....as it has new features and past "wants"....

I have new wants now as usual...(as do most Americans)...especially as we drive more and our trucks become more and more like luxury cars so to speak....

I'd like a power moonroof, heated steering wheel, and cooled seats.......give it a few and they will be in place...

so trust me....for me...it does take a lot to make me satisfied....hence why I always buy the LT model....(called other things in the past)....as with everything else in my life

I don't "settle"......if that's what you would like to believe..

I have said..and will say again....Toy makes good products...and the Tundra is a good attempt to the full size market.....but it's just too small and mickey mouse for a first attempt....face it

Next one will be more of a contender...

Now I will never change my mind....and you will never change your mind.....so let's argue forever and keep good data away from new posters....what ya say??

....(insert crap in next posts now)

- Tim

...beam me up Scotty.....
    Come on now....IMHO, Toyota owners are MUCH more likely to over-rate their truck's quality when surveyed than other vehicle owners. Just look at the owners ratings here on Edmunds. Or take a look at CR. Their ratings are compiled from owners who return a survey form. CR does test vehicles themselves, but their annual auto ratings are based on very unscientific/unverified survey returns. Several of the Toyota owners who post here are a perfect example of what I am saying.......They act like they don't even believe it when another Toyota owner posts a problem and asks for help.
    LOL

...If I give the screen a shot with the .45....will it all go away?

haha

- Tim
    a Tacoma fan for years.....hell yeah I'd be excited about the Tundra....but to say it rules all and conquers the world.....gimme a break....

....45 minutes until noon.........ahhhh it's noon someplace......heading for a beer

- Tim
    "I am not interested in the Tundra"

Man! Tom backed out of that one quick.

I am wondering what is he doing here? Why do only unfortunate GM owners post in this topic? Tom is not interested in the Tundra, but he and Oby, and Quad and KG and Sonja post here incessantly anyway.

Tom has admitted he has a GM knocker. Does this have something to do with it?

Why no Ford or Dodge owners in this topic? Are GM owners really this insecure about their trucks?
    Come on man....cut me some slack.

Even though the only Toyota truck(Landcruiser) I owned rusted through the body panels and burned oil and fouled plugs with only 50,000 miles, I respected how tough and capable it was for its purpose. We USED to have a topic for discussing Tundras that I am interested in.....but someone closed it, too.
    Tom

PS. It was underpowered and had an engine blueprinted from the early 50's GM straight six cylinders. BUT, it was TOUGH!
    ...let's just close all topics!

This is all like George Carlin's theory of war......(which I can't post here.....but if ya know what I mean......)

- Tim
    Why do only unfortunate GM owners post in this topic?
    Looks like it could well happen.....

Tundra vs. Silverado 1500 May 15, 2002 71
    Chevy Silverado May 15, 2002 8
    Chevy Silverado - Continued XVIII May 15, 2002 6405
    Toyota Tundra Problems May 14, 2002 1194
    Chevy Silverado Problems May 14, 2002 2161
    GM ENGINE KNOCK May 10, 2002 805
    Toyota 3/4 Ton with Big Block V-8

At that rate, won't take long.

Tom
    Toy owners post in GM topics?

Stick yer head up yer [non-permissible content removed] Bama and see if it fits...

LOL

- Tim
This discussion has been closed.