Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• freepassfreepass Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks, can you tell me what exactly has to be detached to replace the drivers front cv shaft. It looks like a bit more than my old mazda 626. I prefer not to unbolt more than I have to.
    Thanks, Mike
  • kkosmankkosman Member Posts: 1
    I keep getting the same problem over and over again. If i turn the A/C fan speed control to over 9 i fel a vibration, as soon as i lower it again the vibration goes away. I took it to the Authorized Audi Dealership and they changed the filters, two month later it has started again. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this problem and how they solved it . Im not living in the US the climate here is dusty but i have never had this problem before. The dealership is insisting to charge me every time i have this problem and i have a feeling that he is just putting a bandage instead or doing a permanent repair job.
    Thx in advance
    Khalid
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Which engine? turbo V-6, n/a V-6 or V-8?
  • audiluvbluesaudiluvblues Member Posts: 10
    I have the headlight range control defective warning light.Has anyone had this problem? or knows how to fix it?

Thanks
  • allmet33allmet33 Member Posts: 3,557
    I own an '04 A6 3.0 Quattro and I have noticed at night that the headlights don't seem to have the same verticle alignment. I know the HID's are self leveling, but it always seems like the light on the driver's side falls a bit shorter than the one on the driver's side. Is there an adjustment I can make to even them out?
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    This is a known problem. Audi has issued a TSB for the issue. It requires a new control module. Send me a PM with your e-mail address and reference the issue and I will send you the TSB.
  • lewkowiczlewkowicz Member Posts: 3
    My A6 turn signals blink spordaically. they blink very quickly and the lights only blink a few times. Is there a flasher assembly someplace ?
  • spawn1spawn1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 audi a6 and the heater is unable to turn down,it says its turning down but doesnt.I can still adjust the flow of air though.And when I turn on the a/c it still blows out hot air .And the funny thing is somedays it works like it is supposed to,you know like when I take it in to get looked at!!Please help???
  • gbosleygbosley Member Posts: 20
    i had a 2006 A6 that was lemon law with same issue , it would go from comfortable 70 degree to scalding 180 degree , after many times in shop my dealer would not work on it any more , so i had to wait 45 days for audi tech to come , looking at my paper work it was a dual heater a/c valve unit had to be replaced , i can not tell you oh if that took care of the issue i hardly drove it after that and they tool it back ,
    they could not or would not say if i had a potential fire hazard , good luck probably be cheaper to get rid of it if it is that problem ,
  • audiluvbluesaudiluvblues Member Posts: 10
    Hi Kgary I would like to send you a PM but my comp is not allowing to do anything. What is an TSB?
    It is the abbreviation for a Technical Service Bulletin, which is how Audi advises its technicians on how to repair a known problem.
  • straylostraylo Member Posts: 3
    OK, it's years later, but would you mind telling me what the cause and the solution (cost?) was to fix this? It happened to me this week.
    There is a TSB on this problem. Drop me a PM with your e-amil address, referencing the stuck ignition key, and I will e-mail you the TSB.
    Can you post the TSB here on this forum?
    Here's the number of it so you can give this info to the dealer

96 08 07

August 12, 2008. Supersedes Technical Service Bulletin Group 96 number 06-01 dated July 14, 2006 to update SRT.

Vehicle Information

Ignition switch cannot be turned on; key may stick in ignition

Condition
    ^ Engine will not start.

^ Ignition cannot be turned on.

^ In some cases, the ignition key cannot be removed from the ignition switch after attempting to start the engine.

Technical Background

No communication with the Access/Start Control Unit (J518), which may be caused by capacitor and or transistor damage within the Access/Start Control Unit (J518).

Production Solution

Introduction of an improved Access/Start Control Unit (J518).

This applies to ALL 2005 and some 2006.

NOTE: Keep in mind that this is not a free repair if you are out of warranty.
    TSB - 96 08 07 doesn't seem to apply here :
    The car is 2001 A6 Quattro 2.7T.
    I can start the car and everything runs fine including locking/security system, brake switch / transmission interlocks etc. I simply can not remove the ignition key. Is this simply a mechanical problem in the ignition lock or something more sinister like a software problem in a steering column control module. How many reasons could Audi engineers have for not releasing the key?
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    While we're talking about 2005 A6's, are there any TSB's that address transmission hesitation?

I'd also be curious about the headlight TSB. My wife's A6 has given us that message a couple of times, though things continue to work fine.

-Paul
    Does anyone know if the HID headlights can be adjusted at all? I've got an '04 A6 Quattro and the light on the driver's side seems to have a slighly lower aim than the passenger side light. Can the adjustment be made, if so...how???

Mike
  • epicklein22epicklein22 Member Posts: 1
    So my A6 wagon has been developing a small coolant leak over the last few weeks. It has just been draining the overflow tank and the car has been running fine. I tried a bottle of Bars leak stop and that worked, but only for a few hundred miles. So yesterday I decided to dig into and fix it. I thought it might be a metal tube that runs across the front of the engine. So I rerouted it around the metal tube and filled it up. Still have the leak. So after further investigation, the fluid is coming from behind the belts and pulleys and I can not see exactly where. Now my dad thought it could be the water pump, but we had a hard time finding that too. So could someone point me in the right direction to find this leak? Could you tell me what I would find behind the belts and pulleys? Where is the water pump? Anybody got a parts diagram they can send me? The car has been running fine at normal temperature, so I think the block is fine as of right now, but the leak did get a lot worse as I was driving home yesterday (of course on the same day I was gonna fix it). In advance, Thanks for the responses! I need them.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    That sounds like an auxiliary coolant pump. Not too long ago someone else wrote about it. I responded with my experience on my A6 2.7T. The car ran great but I had a small coolant leak. I don't know where it is though. I've only opened the hood of the car twice in 8 years. It was an $800 service charge at the dealer.
  • soapsudssoapsuds Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem/same location. Did you find where yours is leaking? Please let me know. Thanks
    I took my '04 A6 3.0 Quattro to the dealer to get the oil changed. I opted for the synthetic and the service tech informed me that my next oil change would be in 10k miles...I'm cool with that. I asked him about servicing the transmission and he then informed me that they don't do anything with the transmission as it has a lifetime fluid in it. Every car I've owned, I've had to serivce the transmission every 30-50k miles for obvious reasons. Should I listen to what the service tech is telling me and leave it alone or should I take it someplace that will flush and fill the transmission? If I do the latter, what type of fluid should I purchase for the transmission?
  • lewkowiczlewkowicz Member Posts: 3
    have a 2001 A6...check engine light keeps coming on..dealer said its gas cap...bought a new one, good for a while then light comes on. Dealer said its a costly fix..any ideas anyone ?
  • ymoteymote Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

My 2001 Audi A6 has power steering issue. When the car is parked with outside temperature under 60F for a night, the second morning the power steering is very heavy. I have to drive it for a while and restart the engine to get back the smooth steering. If I just drive it without restarting the engine, it won't get better. Looks like a sensor issue. Is anybody having the same issue? How can I fix it. Thanks.

-- Yue
  • chicagotigerchicagotiger Member Posts: 15
    i have a 08' A6 w/ 5k mi on it... recently had it in for regular service and software upgrade ; this past weekend MIL light came on an took it back for service at dealership.. gave me some mumbo jumbo bottom line they put an injection cleaner thru and now i have to bring back after driving 60mi ???? Doesn't this sound a little slippery.. the car is practically new, with no problems or noticeable performance issues.
    I would like to suggest to you that you keep every piece of paper on your car , never leave dealership with out all paper work that shows what they have done , and be sure that you take a loaner car , never not take a loaner
    i hope that this is a isolated problem , but i doubt it and not to make you have a sleep less night , but see what your Lemon Law are in your state ,
    i been there and sorry to say it was a real pain but my only mistake was for 45 days that my car sat waiting on a Audi Tech to come to fix it i did not take a loaner , that plays a part of paper trail , and there is nothing about audi and customer care
    good luck
  • triplecoretriplecore Member Posts: 3
    MY advance jey work perfect locking and unlocking the car, but sometime when I push start button the car turns on, but the engine does not turn over.

Any ideas?

I have to open the door or move the key out of my pocket and it will start.
  • audi_a6_manaudi_a6_man Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Audi A6 which won't start. The problem is that when you turn the key in the ignition all the lights come on and then go out as usual but the engine doesn't turn or starter motor make any sounds. It's as if the ignition has been disconnected from the engine. Also the remote central locking has stopped working.

Has anyone come across this problem before??
    See if a jumpstart works in this situation or not.

If not, I'd suspect corroded battery cables, and if they check out okay, I'd suspect a bad neutral safety switch. (presuming you have an automatic)-- or a bad clutch switch, if you have a manual transmission.
  • jbbktjbbkt Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have an audi A6 avant 2.0 which is heavily leaking water. I know where the leeak is from. It is leaking from a plastic t-piece which connects to the engine. One end of the component is square this is where it connects to the engine. The other end is round and has a large (pipe approx 1"-1 1/2") connected to it. From the T-piece is a slightly smaller pipe. Ontop are 2 sensors.
    I need to replace this part but am unable to find th name of the component or where to get this part from. I live in France and am reluctant to take the car to an audi dealer as it looks like a job I can do myself.
    I have 2 pictures, one a close up of the component and the second a picture showing where it is positioned which can be emailed if they are any help, I dont know how to add them to the post :cry:

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give.

Kind Regards
  • bummed5bummed5 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a late bloomer! It's June 09 and guess what the 2003 A6 Quattro is no better. Can't leave it in the rain!!!! Apparantly there are drains no one tells you about and they get clogged. I have found thousands of complaints about this online and surprise - Audi doesn't care! It was a sweet ride - when it's actually driveable. In shop now for thousands of dollars. Can't wait to ditch it - though it'll be worthless with all the damage. In debt for a reliable car? What a sad, sad joke.
  • bummed5bummed5 Member Posts: 2
    Wish I had known about these sites before buying an Audi. They are terribly designed with flaws that they won't admit to. You can't leave them in rain!! There are drains that get clogged (no one tells you about) until thousands of dollars have been spent. I rue the day I thought I could finally enjoy a "luxury" car. Down with Audi. In debt for quite sometime. Who would ever have believed this?
  • golfievetgolfievet Member Posts: 3
    I also own a 08' A6 (3.2L engine) with 13K miles on it and I have experienced the same MIL problem last week. As a first attempt to fix the problem, my dealer also poured in the gas tank an injectors' cleaner and ask me to drive a few hundred miles to see if the problem will re-occurred. Indeed, the problem re-occurred yesterday after 50 miles only. I am taking the car back to the dealer Thursday.
    I will keep you posted of what has been done.
    As a Former Audi A6 owner , i can only suggest that you keep every piece of paper and get the loaner car while your car is in the shop and to look at what you need to do if you decide to go Lemon Law , There is no care at AUDI to customer satisfaction , I think you need to look at lemon law good so you might want to advise them on the 3rd try this is last chance . good Luck to you :lemon:
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    IIRC, there's a TSB to address that start button issue. Our 05 A6 had the same problems.

Fixed under warranty.

-Paul
    we had to take it in 3 times... finally they said it was a software update issue..have them check ur most recent software update and make sure that it was installed properly. and since we've not had any issues since i hope that was it... but it was a lot of wasted time or an excuse to bill audi .... wouldn't expect that to happen to such a new car.... i'm a converted BMW owner and so far not very happy so far.... previous 540 owner .. never had to take the car in except for regular maintenance... i've taken this Audi A6 in more times this month then my BMW in 4 years.. if I have to take it back again for anything outside regular maintenance this year... it's a goner.. i'll tell them to pay me fair value and be done with the audi experience.
  • cgarrancgarran Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T with HP2 4-Piston High Performance Front Brakes. I am tying to get the caliper off to change the front rotors and pads. When trying to get the slider pins off, I removed the caps and than inserted a 7mm hex key to remove the bolts. The 7mm hex key doesn't grip anything as there are just round holes. When I insert a smaller hex key (5.5mm or less) it passes through the hole and also will not catch on anything. Has anyone experienced this and found a way around it? I hope that the bolts are not just missing, but figure they have to be on since the caps were on and the caliper has not fallen off.

I would just take the bracket off that holds the caliper on the car, but there is a break line running directly behind the bolt that I don't want to bend too much. Has anyone encountered this and did you find a good way around it? Any help or idea's would be greatly appreciated.
  • golfievetgolfievet Member Posts: 3
    I picked-up my car this morning. According to my dealer, the engine's intake valves where dirty. In order to clean them, they had to remove the intake and valve covers. A rather lengthy operation, luckily the car is under warranty. What worrys me is that dirty valves appear, according to the dealer, to be a surging problem with all Audi new FSI engines (engines with direct injection of fuel in the cylinder). It does not look too good for the car's long term reliability. It's not normal for a car with less than 15,000 miles to have dirty valves and I always used super gas.
    If what they have done to my car appears to have corrected the problem, it is only a temporary solution. The dirty valves problem will come back.
    That is my second Audi A6 and it will be my last one if they cannot find a permanent fix to this problem.
  • akapalcakapalc Member Posts: 1
    Found 2003 A6 $10500-60,000m Is this a smart choice,test drove car seems to run fine. But after reading some of your post it sounds scary.

Honest opinions here, any reason why i shouldn't buy it.
    Akapalc...I purchased an '04 A6 Quattro with 63k miles on it and paid $13,100 back in March. The car was in immaculate shape. Only issue was the rear brake pads needed to be replaced and the rear speakers aren't working. The dealer put on new pads at a deep discount and I'm not worried about the speakers as I'll be putting in an aftermarket sound system myself.

The only other issue that has come up is the front rotors are warped because the place I took it for state inspection didn't torque the lug nuts down correctly. So...I'll be purchasing new rotors and putting them on myself (already purchased a caliper resetting kit). The car drives and performs wonderfully. We took it on a trip to Nags Head, NC (from DC Metro) and the car was terrific.

Honestly, take the car to a mechanic for a 2nd opinion. If it's in good shape, pay for an oil change (unless the seller/dealer is willing to do one for you). If you go with synthetic, you'll be good for 10k miles. Shortly after that, you'll be due for the 75k mile service visit where they do all the major stuff. I was told that visit will cost about $1000. I asked about the transmission fluid and with the Quattro...everyone in Audi says it's a lifetime fluid and it doesn't get changed. If you have anything other than the Quattro...you would have to get it serviced. Don't ask me why, but that is what Audi corporate explained to me.

As far as the turbo 2.7...jury is out on that. When I purchased mine, everyone I ran into with Audis said to stay away from the turbo model as the turbo is known for going out around the 120k mile mark. It was suggested if I could get the 3.0 to do so. Just something to maybe look into and do some research on before you pull the trigger.

Good luck!
    jeez.. that doesn't seem right.. . I get this feeling we are all wasting time , since our cars are under warranty and the econ is slow... these service centers are making things up to bill Audi for the work.. I told Audi, that my 2008 A6 w/ 5k miles has been in the shop more time then my 4 yr old BMW. If it happens again, I'll get rid of it, and never even think about driving an Audi again. I'm already pretty upset that I took the dive and bought one in the first place. They are no where near the service quality or the engineering of a BMW.
  • rolandgrocerolandgroce Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Black Audi A6 Quattro that I bought at the end of March 2009. I would sell it to you if you are looking to buy one. It has over 80 thousand miles but the car runs beautifully EXCEPT for the suspension is bad. The front right strut is shot and it ihas worn out the pump therefore it needs to be fixed. I am selling the car because I was told that it was problem free except for the windshield fluid indicator keeps coming on (also a problem, after having warranty insp, found it needs a new motor, (Bad for Lexus of Bellevue for selling this car as if it had no problems) I am either taking the car bacr to them or I will sell it after I report them to the ATtorney general"s office for selling a lemon.
  • afoxtxafoxtx Member Posts: 1
    I own an 08 A6 with less than 15K miles (have had it for a year and a half). Twice I've had to take it into the dealer to address the sunroof leaking, and twice I've been told that leaves from my oak tree are clogging the sunroof drain - and the last time they charged me $60 to clear the drain. And the maintenance guy told me he's had the same problem on his Audi. I never had this issue with my previous VW Passat, which was parked under the same trees for several years. I'm not parking it with the roof open - this is happening to a fully closed sunroof (that apparently can't withstand leaves!).

Has anyone else experienced this? Does Audi need to run an ad campaign about how Audis are for everyone unless you happen to have a tree canopy over your driveway?
  • egnaroegnaro Member Posts: 1
    Exact same issue. Was on vacation in SC (800 miles from home) got up in the morning to find about 2 gallons of water slushing around in the backseat of my car. Cannot leave it out in the rain but also cannot image that there is a leak anywhere big enough to pick up that much water. Wonder if there is a leak on the undercarriage of the car - it is dried up now - will probably sell now before any major damage happens.
    you get my sympathy from AUDI, you need to be sure that you keep every piece of paper , call AUDI customer care (believe me they don't) and complain , you might even ask them to set you up at another dealer , i can not imagine why all this is not cover under warranty , you know it bull about where you park it , i would contact your consumer affairs office that with the state , to see what your rights are , even beyond Lemon law there help , it just a pain but it who will last you or audi , i would think that if it water damage your going to have a mold problem , you can't drive in unhealthy car . but do yourself a favor , don't buy another one , good luck
  • alexyazalexyaz Member Posts: 8
    Hi camps I have the same problem with my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T. I haven't figured out why the engine bucks like that, but, the mancanic said that my timing belt is about to go. This was about a month and I didn't do anything to the car, not even fix my timing belt yet. However the bucking stopped?! What I did do, is eased the pressure on the gas pedal. I slowly lift my foot off of it and the engine didn't buck.

Does your car's cooling fan ever run when the car is off. I had this happened to me a couple of times and I cant figure out why. the fan is also LOUD. when the car stops at a light everyone looks at my green Audi not because it is cool looking, it is because the fan is running at full speed with the ac off. I had this car for one year and I just want to get rid of it. It is a fast, great handling car, but, it will take all the money out of your wallet. :lemon:
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    Owned the same car for 6 and a half years. Great driving and fantastic interior. Poor electrical and mechanical quality. Two sets of front rotors/pads, turbo went out at 98000 miles, even with mobilone oil changes every 5,000 from new. The car would have bankrupted me w/o the extended warranty plan. Stay away from Audi turbos at all costs! Have plenty of info for anyone considering or driving the 2.7T.
  • dm1212dm1212 Member Posts: 59
    I have an 05 A6 I bought it CPO back in 07. I had a loud popping noise coming from the car. They charged me 2 hours of diagnosing fee's which I thought was covered, at 130 dollars an hour. Turns out MY BERRING'S WERE UNGREASED. They charged me 190 dollars to put grease in them. Not to mention my sunroof motor visor has broken 3 times in 5 months. Also, I had it towed 2 years ago due to a "SOFTWARE UPDATE", the car wouldn't start.

Honestly, the car drives so nice when it isn't in the shop, and Quattro is amazing.

Within the next year I'm going to buy an A5 or an S4, but I hope I get lucky this time.
  • fonefixerfonefixer Member Posts: 247
    WRONG.......not changing the audi transmission fluid will result in the "tiptronic" transmission going bad at 70,000 miles+. The fluid breaks down eventually.
    That may be so in the 2.7 T, but with the 3.0 a different transmission is used. This is information direct from Audi Corp. I will soon find out what happens around the 70k mile mark as my '04 A6 3.0 Quattro has close to 68k miles on it currently.

Now...I know from what I was told by Audi Corp., if the tranny goes bad due to fluid breakdown...they will be replacing my transmission since everyone affilitated with Audi, that I have spoken to, has told me that the transmission on the 3.0 Quattro does not require transmission servicing because it has lifetime fluid in it. They said if I didn't have the Quattro or if I had a manual transmission...it would be a different story. Again...this is what folks from Audi are saying.