Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• houseponyhousepony Member Posts: 1
    The problems you cite are not 'minor problems you can have with any car.'

I used to think that through five Audis and two Mercedes. They were in the shop every five minutes.

Then I bought a big new Mitsubishi Diamante and for 60K miles and three years service NOTHING has gone wrong. NOTHING.

Every time I get in the car is runs and runs beautifully. Quiet, comfortable, capable.

It doesn't handle with the crispness of the German cars, but it sure as hell ain't in the shop all the time either!
  • mfisherslcmfisherslc Member Posts: 1
    Recently our 2002 Audi A6 quattro sat on the street for forty-five minutes during a heavy rain. When I started the car there was a popping sound, I lost brakes and steering, there was a scream of metal, and the car died. This all occurred in about 300 feet and, thank goodness, at a speed of about 5 miles per hour. When the car was put on a flatbed, transmission fluid gushed out.

The Audi dealer said that the intake manifold and at least one cylinder had filled with water and caused the engine to seize up - the engine was now in several pieces. Audi decided it was not a mechanical issue nor a warranty issue and our insurance company is paying for a new engine. (Audi really believes that I drove through a river and didn't notice it and don't want to confess that I did it. They use phrases like "I'm not saying this did or didn't happen...." One must be careful of one's blood pressure!)

Anyhow, Audi says that had I been driving this would not have happened, it was because the car was placed in so much water.... Doesn't it seem reasonable that there might be a small design flaw if the car, sitting perfectly still (not in a riverbed) can so fill with water that the passenger compartment can get water in it as well as the motor and the manifold and whatever else filled with water? Has anyone else had or heard of a similar incident?

We've been driving Audis for nineteen years, through unintended acceleration, failures of gas tank sensors, etc. etc. but have never had something this major occur.

Thanks,
  • donslookdonslook Member Posts: 2
    HELP! First time here...bought an '01 and have not been able to get the car to ride smoothly. It will seem smoth for a short while, and then at highway speeds (60-70mph) will start bouncing like the wheels are out of balance.
    I put new Nokia WRs on the car and could not get the car to ride smooth...found that three of the tires were "out of round"...they bounced while up on the lift. Replaced those and rebalanced the tires again...no luck...still bounced as if out of balance...found another "out of round" Nokia...replaced it and rebalanced wheels again...no luck! Sometimes would ride smoothly for a few minutes, and then bounce like crazy again at 70 on the highway.
    Got 4 new Extreme Conti's...put on today...same story!! The wheels have been checked and I've been told they are not bent.
    My frustration is at a peak...could this be rotors causing this? Drivetrain?
    Any feedback mucho appreciated...
    donslook
  • donslookdonslook Member Posts: 2
    seems like you and I are having similar problems... I just posted here for the first time tonight..
    I have tried a number of different tires (Nokia WR adn Continental Extremes)...still bounce like out of round or out of balance...had a number of rebalances...I think it may be the rotors that are causing this problem?? At times, the bouncing/vibration will disappear for a couple of minutes, but resume again at any highway speed above 50mph...driving me crazy!
    I have owned about 6 or 7 quattros in the past...all 90s and have never had these problems...and they were all fited with Nokias, which, living in VT, have always performed well...even in the snow we get up here.
  • vmurgolovmurgolo Member Posts: 7
    I had jerking problem on my 2002 A6 cvt but in drive not reverse. After a few visits to dealer, they ended up installing a new transmission (I only had 19,000 miles on it.) I have had the car not quite 2 years with 21,000 miles and I cant believe how many times I have had to bring it in for various service problems (new muffler, A/c problem, water accumulation on rear passenger floor, front end shimmy). Prior to the Audi, I leased various japanese cars for 10 years and never had any problems. I purchased the Audi and am seriously considering getting rid of it at this point.
  • ksayersksayers Member Posts: 59
    -new rotors/pads@30K
    -5 radios
    -4 temp gauges
    -4 (or was it 5...) engine check light failures
    -1 ABS controller ($1200)
    -1 burned out dashboard
    -4 or 5 trips to fix the gas gauge (lost count)
    -3 wire harness failures
    -1 engine computer ($2200)
    -1 set of new injectors@50K
    -1 thermostat
    -1 temp sensor
    -6 recalls (might have been 5 but I just received
     another one two days ago for a potential fire
     hazard in the dashboard)
    -1 qt oil every 12-1500 miles.
    -leaky seals in the differential (quoted at $1000)

ohhhhh.... the joy goes on and on. Actually, that is not true. I d-u-m-p-e-d my A6 about a week ago and will never, never, never buy another Audi.

Beware the Audi/USA "customer advocate" scam. Of course, "scam" is just MY OPINION... but the only thing as low as Audi product quality is their "customer service" quality (which is not existent). Just MY OPINION.

Dump it before the warranty runs out. It will help your trade in value if some warranty time is left. Luckily, you won't get much for it anyway. Audi has very poor resale value as the word is out that they are, in my opinion, j-u-n-k.
  • chenrychenry Member Posts: 1
    I have the same balancing/wheel/tire problems and it is driving me nuts. My first Audi was an 1996 A4 Quattro and it was a dream. I never had problems, the ride was smooth and it handled great. I recently, 6 months ago, bought a 2000 A6 and have had problems since I drove it off the lot. The most annoying problem has been the bouncing/vibration I feel when the car hits 65 mph+. I asked a few dealers and each claim it's an issue of balancing the tires. I've had the tires rebalanced and still no luck. I had one dealer tell me the rims might be "Out of round" and proceeded to say there are a few places that will reshape the rims. Unfortunately, this was while we were traveling through Salt Lake City and we didn't have time to check this out. I'm thinking I might need to purchase new rims all around. I'm going back the the tire place today to see if they think the rims are bent. I'll keep you posted. Any thoughts would be helpful and solutions would be a miracle!
  • goa6turbogoa6turbo Member Posts: 1
    I have found that the type of tire (hard or soft)
    makes a big difference. If you buy high mileage
    tires (hard rubber) they can wear unevenly and
    become somewhat out of round. This is especially
    true on FWD and AWD cars. Try a softer high performance (HR,VR,ZR) tire like an Pirelli P6 or better. The tire is softer, but has great dry and wet/snow traction (I live in Colorado). It will only last about 20K miles, but the tires will balance nicely and be smooth down the highway at
    "all" speeds. I recommend re-balance after rotation. If your disc brake rotors are a little warped or have "cold spots", they can effective wear your tires down (like a flat spot) in a area that is adjacent to the problem spot on the rotor. The flat spot thins the tire and changes
    the balance of the tire. Make sure, especially for low profile tires for 17 inch or higher rims, that you maintain precise tire pressure. Running tire too low will make the wear unevenly and cause balancing problems. I follow all of these guidelines and I continue to have smooth riding tires.

Hope this helps!
  • steve05401steve05401 Member Posts: 50
    ....a 2001 A6 2.7T quattro/about 36000 miles. Certified pre-owned from an Audi dealer.

Loooooove the car, but after a lifetime of Hondas, Toyotas and Mazdas-- and what i've heard in these forums about ongoing quality "challenges" with Audis and VWs-- am i completely nuts to consider plunking down $24000 for this vehicle?

Please give me your candid opinions-- pro and con. Thank you!
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    I almost did the same thing, then I asked for the service records. At first they didn't want to give them to me, then when they finally did, it showed a lot of unscheduled service visits. Take a look and see what yours shows, just ask the dealer for it. If you don't put that many miles on your cars it's probably worth the extra trouble, but I put about 25k a year on my cars and ended up chickening out. Good luck with it!
  • dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    I have a 2002 A6 2.7T and totally love it. Other than a worn wiper blade, it has been flawless. Oh, and the tires do only last for 20K miles at most. But then the car encourages tire chewing driving!
  • drewidrewi Member Posts: 2
    I just went from an '01 S4 to an '02 A6 2.7T w/ Sport. I love the extra room but the sport seats in the A6 have a totally different back construction than the one-piece firm ones I've gotten used to in the S4. They squeak constantly (I'm guessing the leather rubbing against leather) and I can feel the springs in the back as I accelerate or slow down.

Does anyone else have this problem or do I just need some time to adjust to the new, slightly softer seats. I wish I could take the seats out of the S4 as they are the best I have ever had but probably not a smart option. Any help, perspective or solution for the squeaking would be appreciated.
  • tjks02turbotjks02turbo Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2002 A6 2.7T with the Sport Suspension as well as a CPO on 9/1/2004 and I am not experiencing any difficulties with the drivers seat.

As of this point I have had no problems with the car and in comparison to my prior car, 1993 Taurus SHO, I have very few complaints.

Surprisingly the Taurus was getting 22 MPG to around 19.5 - 20.0 in the A6 with the same driving...this is the only complaint I have. Otherwise I have already forgotten about the old car.

I was able to get a great deal on the car because it was a 6-Speed...$28,800 with 22K miles, fully loaded. The dealer couldn't get rid of a stick...he had the car for three months...my luck.

Glad to have the Audi...what a car
  • 96audiowner96audiowner Member Posts: 1
    My driver-side mirror has a verticle crack on the glass. Is there some way the glass can be changed or fixed without changing the whole mirror assembly?

Thanks!
  • kaloz03kaloz03 Member Posts: 1
    I have rececently come across this new problem of locking the car at the end of the day to wake up the following day with all 4 windows down and the car unlocked and disarmed. Coming to the conclusion that nobody has access to the car or the keys, i realized this was the car. Upon closer analysis, I noticed that I cannot manually lower the windows with the key; and the car will only unlock the drivers door but NOT disarm the car. Has anyone heard of this new one or have any suggestions. I have spoke w/ several Audi dealers and they have never heard of this problem.
  • ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    I recently acquired a 95 audi with about 109K miles. The car seems in a fairly decent shape except some odd idling noise.

Does anyone know of a good non-dealership german car shop around central jersey?

ksso
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    HAD THE EXACT SAME ISSUE WITH MY 2000 A6 2.7T IN JUNE 2004. THE DEALER SAID THE DRIVERS DOOR LOCK "FELL APART" AND NEEDED REPLACING TO SOLVE THIS PERPLEXING PROBLEM. WILL LIST THE FACTORY PART #/PRICING TO REPAIR:

4B1-837-063-A LOCK ZYL---- $121.07
    LABOR TO REPAIR----------- $289.50
    6747 AIR FREIGHT FROM GERMANY-- $20.00

TOOK 10 DAYS TO "AIR FREIGHT" THE PART FROM GERMANY. AUDI SAID THAT A NEW LOCK HAD TO BE MANUFACTURED AND SHIPPED HERE. THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THERE ARE NOW (2) KEYS FOR THE CAR . THE ORIGINAL TO START THE VEHICLE AND THE SECONDARY TO OPEN /LOCK THE DRIVER'S DOOR IN A MANUAL FASHION. SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE UNLESS THE REMOTE FAILS. TO REMEDY THIS,FOR EMERGENCIES, KEEP THE "DOOR" KEY IN ONE OF THE INSIDE TRUNK SIDE COMPARTMENTS, WHICH CAN STILL BE MANUALLY OPENED WITH THE "ORIGINAL" KEY.
    I think that's a scam. I know if your door lock is replaced by an insurance company for any reason, they are bound by the policy to make sure the lock is recoded to use the same key as everything else and if the lock cannot be recoded, then they have to replace all locks to match. Basically they are bound by policy so that the car does not lose value.

If your car is under warranty, they should make sure your car doesn't lose value.
    ksso
    THIS SPECIFIC AUDI LOCK REPAIR WAS COVERED UNDER A LIMITED "EXTENDED SERVICE PLAN" THAT WAS PURCHASED FROM THE DEALER WHEN THE AUDI WAS NEW @ $2300 FOR 3 YEARS OR 100,000 MILES AFTER THE INTIAL 3 YEAR AUDI WARRANTY. I PAID THE FIRST $100 "DEDUCTIBLE" AND THE SERVICE PLAN COVERED THE REST INCLUDING USAGE OF A RENTAL CAR FOR 10 DAYS.

AS FAR AS "LOSING VALUE" BECAUSE OF 2 KEYS, THIS CAR HAS 70,000 MILES ON IT AND HAS ALREADY "LOST" OVER 50% OF IT'S NEW RETAIL PRICE OF $42,500. DON'T THINK THE ISSUE OF HAVING TO USE A SECOND KEY ON AN OCCASIONAL BASIS WILL "DEVALUE" THE VEHICLE MUCH MORE THAN TIME/MILES WILL WHEN READY TO REPLACE IT.
    well if you are happy..

but i'd have read your message better if it was not shouted - without caps.

ksso
    Ok, I'll continue in small caps... , wasn't overjoyed at the fact of using 2 keys, didn't have a choice, this is all the Audi dealer would do.
  • jodarjodar Member Posts: 53
    I recently had the 50K service done at my local Audi dealership (at 49.8k). There were two issues: the battery and excessive road tire/wheel noise. The battery had drained down and thought the alternator was going bad. Prior to the battery going bad, I noticed the volt meter reading had went from the middle reading (12?) to 14. The dealership changed the battery and supposedly conducted tests on the other systems and did not discover any abnormalities.

The wheels were of concern as when I had the usual 5K rotation service performed at Goodyear. The tech stated that the rear two tires had worn to the point where it had to be replaced. I questioned the fact that there was uneven wear to the point where, at 50K, on the original tires, they had to be replaced and within the last 5K! He stated that it may be because of bad brakes, alignment and/or wheel (tire, rim) issues. I bought 4 new tires, had a road force test done, rebalanced the tires twice, had a four wheel alignment done and determined that there isn't a problem with the tires, rims or suspension components. Audi replaced the front brakes, even though the source of the road noise was from the rear.

Now, Costco, the place where I purchased the tires, said I should give the tires a chance to 'break-in.' I'd think 1100 miles is enough! And there is that annoying groan that is pronounced between 50-60mph. After 60 mph, the sound blends in with the other normal noises that isn't singularly discernible, but adds to the noise in the car.

Three weeks and 1100 miles later, I could not start the car and had the car towed back. To make a long story short, they had to replace the alternator and, now, the starter! Fortunately, or unfortunately, my extended (Easy Care) warranty covered the starter and all but $500 of the alternator. As for the alternator, the warranty company won't pay for a pulley that had to be removed to get at the alternator because it was not a failed part.

As far as the road noise, the last time I went to Goodyear to get the four wheel alignment (and the final factor being supposedly eliminated), the tech stated that it may be a wheel bearing problem.

As of this writing, the car is at the dealer (5th day) awaiting the diagnosis of this problem.

I went back and forth with the dealer to state that they did not properly diagnose the battery and road noise problem but the advisor states they ran diagnostics after the battery install. My question is to the board and any knowledgeable folks out there is how is it all these components would fail just after the 50K service! I don't know if its worth calling Audi Customer Service as the car is out of the normal warranty.
  • flatsurfflatsurf Member Posts: 4
    HELP! I have a leased 01 Allroad with 10 months left and I am over mileage. During the course of the lease, the vehicle has been in the shop for over two months in total. I have have the engine replaced, the turbos replaced, the stereo replaced, the suspension has been fixed twice and just recently, I was told I have a bad front axle and a failing transmission. With all the work done on the car, including warranty work, the bill is around 35,000.00. Can anyone provide advice on how to deal with this? thanks in advance
  • skhskh Member Posts: 1
    I see from messages #166, #162, #163, and #151 that I am not the only one experiencing the problem. Had it from day one and between that time and now it was answered by the dealer "let the tires wear in", "originals are not the best, and a host of other comments. Balancing, alignment, new front brakes and rotors, but no change. Finally, some belts broke on the original tires, Conti Contact xxxxxxx. Dealer recommended Michelin MVX 4 Energy. Got them, had alignment done, but the vibration is still there. Starts somewhere above 50mph, at times there it will be smooth for maybe 15 to 20 seconds and then vibration returns. Now have 42,000 on the car. After learning about this web site and finding that I am not alone with this problem I intend to pursue this problem with the dealer vigorously.
    To date, dealer has been very accomodating with the other problems and recalls. I suggest that all with this problem check the manufacture date of their A6 to determine if the problem is occurring on those assembeled about the same time. My Audi is not available at this time. I will post my manufacture date later.
  • hopefulhopeful Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Audi A6 4.2 has had persistent problems with the brakes. I've got about 45K miles on it and the rotors have been replaced 2 or 3 times. When they're not being replaced, they're being resurfaced. I've been told several things by 2 different dealers - it's my driving, it's typical wear and tear, because brakes are made thinner they wear out faster, etc. While I've had some other minor problems with the car, I still love driving it and was wondering if there is a solution to the brake issue. Are there more heavy duty brakes that can be put on it? Any suggestions?
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    i have a 2000 2.7t with 86k on it -- same story as lots of other edmunds posters: drives great, looks cool, comfortable, but an absolute maintenance monster!! when the 50k warranty ran out, i bought a 'star auto' warranty for $2800. it has paid for itself more than 4 times already - just replacing the turbos at 55k miles would have hit me for $5000.
       i've had it with a 'hot luxury sedan' and am probably going for something reliable like honda accord or camry.
       what's my A6 worth here in pennsylvania? kelly blue book says around $12k -15k...are there really suckers out there who would buy my lemon for that much? and does anybody have experience selling on consignment in the philly or jersey area?
  • katana1katana1 Member Posts: 2
    Community,

Does anyone have any experience with configuration of Bluetooth on the new A6? I assume that you need the optional phone package for you to be able to 'pair' with an external phone, as there is no option in MMI to associate with a bluetooth device with only the 'bluetooth preparation', only the option to remove bluetooth devices.

Has anyone had ANY success with ANY phones (other than the two models with physical docking cradles) and bluetooth on the 05 A6?
  • tb1013tb1013 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I purchased a CPO A6 2.7T in mid-September.

I have had 20+ problems with the car. Dealership finally picked up the car and kept it for almost a month. They fixed some issues but most critical issues remain. Dealership is refusing to fix these issues. I am also learning that the car was never certified 'before' the sale, even though claimed so through the Audi website. Dealer cannot produce the checklist signed before the date of sale (when I asked for it during delivery, they promised that it'll be mailed to me within 2 weeks).

I trusted Audi and feel misled by the whole Audi CPO program. I am talking with a few attorneys, on Audi/dealership fraud. They are all interested and see a promising case but I am not one for litigation though I will do what sets this right.

Any thoughts, advice? Appreciate it!
    I had the same sort of brake issues with my 2000 A62.7T. Finally installed aftermarket drilled rotors @50,000 miles on the front along w/ new pads and have had no more problems the last 20,000 miles.
  • winowino Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 A6 2.7 and the radio never worked properly. I get a tremendous amount of static and interference on AM. My lease is up in 3 months, so far 2 dealers have not been able to make the radio play properly. They think that I am crazy. Audi customer service ignores my e-mails. The radio in my FX-45 is awesome. Suggestions from anybody?
  • kozayurkozayur Member Posts: 5
    Hi, Audi A6 2005 has Bluetooth as a standard feature. All you need to add is a Bluetooth enabled phone. Audi claims that not all phones are compatible. Although, I was able to use my Siemens S56 phone with it.
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    Bluetooth is a standard set of profiles. Thus, if your phone supports the profile that the Audi uses to pair to phones, it should work.

Theoretically...
  • bandobando Member Posts: 1
    Do you have the windows tinted on this car? I had the same problem after having the windows tinted shortly after I received my 2003 A6. The metal in the tint caused havoc with the AM antenna that is embedded in the rear window. Only option was to use a ceramic film or remove the tint.
  • chathamdadchathamdad Member Posts: 1
    I just saw this post, but had to reply. I had a similar problem this past summer, but limited to a flooded passenger compartment; no seizing engine. Turned out that the cowl below the windshield (under the plastic cover where the battery is housed) had filled with leaves over time, and the wet leaves clogged the drain. No kidding: three inches of sloshing water in the cabin, steam coming from all the vents, hot water pouring out onto the drivers' foot, nightmare.

You'd think the designers would have contemplated that the car might get parked under a tree from time to time.
  • fastpaulfastpaul Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 A-6 2.7T; just installed new aftermarket Anco wiper on driver side - now it chatters badly in moderate rain. I tried cleaning the windshield, then tried some protectant on the blade - but no go. Does anyone have any ideas??
  • jeqqjeqq Member Posts: 221
    Try reversing the rubber blade. There are two metal clips that hold the blade in place. You squeeze them and that allows you to slide it out. If I remember the clips should end up on the bottom of the wiper arm. See if that works.
  • hopefulhopeful Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice!
  • westdriverwestdriver Member Posts: 3
    I have the same Audi A6 and have never been able to get the radio fixed properly. As the lease is up in May, I'm giving up.
  • jregs7jregs7 Member Posts: 1
    I also have the 2000 A6 2.7T And noticed the same power lag as you. It always seems to be when the gas tank gets below 1/2 a tank. If anyone out there can cure this problem It would be appreciated.

Thanks
  • dukebrunodukebruno Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone figured out which Verizon network compatible phones has a cradle that works with the 2005 A6? My dealer has not been helpful. While many Bluetooth phones will work with the hands-free system, there are few phones for which Audi has a cradle that allows a) use of the external antenna and b) in-car charging. Audi has a list on their web site, but none of the phones seem to be available for Verizon...they're only the largest USA network!
  • gold233790gold233790 Member Posts: 183
    The Motorola (believe it's the v710) is supposedly going to be supported.

Audi has done a poor job with the Bluetooth integration, but in the case of Verizon it is not their fault- it's Verizon!

Verizon introduced their only Bluetooth phone in the v710, but decided to try to program it in a strange way- probably to force customers to purchase proprietary accessories (something I would have expected out of the other carriers, not really Verizon).

Many new bluetooth purchases are made for a new vehicle, and the Moto didn't work with ANY. Acura now instructs potential purchasers to avoid Verizon if they can because the phone does not work on their Blue-tooth cars- and Acura is the clear leader amongst car manufacturers with this technology.

So......it SHOULD eventually work. Probably in short order- but for right now, I don't believe there is anything you can do with Verizon and Bluetooth for the Audi.
  • jim_mckeonjim_mckeon Member Posts: 17
    Just had the camshaft chain tensioner gaskets replaced on my 2001 A6 2.7T, with 63K miles on it. Repairman said virtually all A6's have the gaskets go out on them, and he encouraged me to complain to Audi about it - maybe they'll issue a recall. This was a $1250 repair, and it seems unreasonable to me if they fail all the time.

Anyone else have this problem? I've seen a couple of notes on this list, but if it's as pervasive as the repair guy said there should be more messages. Also, if you could compare what you paid that would be helpful.
  • safeldersafelder Member Posts: 60
    I had that problem fixed once on my 98 A4 2.8, it's apparently at it again, and my wife had it once on her 99 A4 2.8. I haven't heard complaints from either of my parents (2001 2.7T and 2000 A6 2.8). I did complain to Audi, and got the repair paid for the first time on my car. It would have been about the same price you paid had AoA not coughed up $$.

We never fixed it on my wife's car, and I'm not fixing it a second time on my car--the independent garage I now use (out of warranty) said that as long as you don't see evidence of a leak on the ground or get a warning light, and you're pretty careful about checking oil levels and getting regular oil changes, this is not a fatal problem.
    Small leak in the same area on my'00 a62.7Tw/ 70,000 miles. The dealer calls it a "seam" leak. Nothing on the floor, and very , very little on the face of the engine. Not going to worry about it until the leak gets worse down the road. Given an estimate of $1200 for repair.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    The trade-in value on that car was about $17.5K - and there are MANY 2001s out there (including mine -trade-in on '05 A6). So - you can pay a lot less than the $24K they are asking. But - I traded mine before any problems; I sure wouldn't want any of those outlined in last few posts. For how long is the car certified/warrantied?? Cover all the things mentioned by others? Good luck - depending on your tastes, a new Accord sounds like a better deal...
  • anandanand Member Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy a 2001 Audi A6 2.7 Turbo with about 27K miles on it for about $28K. The dealer is offering a 6 year 100K miles limited warranty.

With all the postings here, I am really scared of investing nearly $30K on the Audi A6. Its hard earned money and I am planning to keep it for long. Is this a good car? Please advice.
    That price seems out of line even though the miles are low for an '01. Edmunds lists a range from $21735 trade-in to $23796 private party sale. This is assuming the car has the "normal" equipment load such as moonroof, heated leather, xenon lights, etc.

Checking some of the used car data bases indicates that $28,000 would be on the high side for this vehicle. I wouldn't buy w/o examining service records indicating things like synthetic oil use and regular changes.
  • guntherhopsguntherhops Member Posts: 21
    Run, do not walk, from the A6 turbo. Mine is a 2000, coming up on 5 years old. It's been Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde - the car drives and handles great, looks cool and is comfortable, BUT it has spent more time in the repair shop than in my hands.

Among the 18 plus times (no exaggeration) it's been in for repairs: new gas tank, 2 new radios, engine block gaskets, 5 different suspension problems, various brake problems, and the real kicker: replacing the turbos at 55,000 - that one alone was over $5000 to fix. Luckily, I had a premonition and bought an after-market warranty from Star Auto, that has covered most, but not all, of the problems. (I doubt they'll be insuring many more Audis after mine.) And 3 or 4 recalls.

The most recent problem: a buzzing sound that comes on when braking at stop signs - it sounds just like the noise the anti-lock brakes make before they lock up. When this happens the brakes let up a bit, but fortunately I'm almost at a stop. Despite 2 visits to the dealer, they can't detect the problem. He did say that maybe the ABS module is going bad, and the part alone is $1100.

The limited warranty they're offering you leaves out a lot of the electronics and peripheral stuff outside of the drive train, and that stuff can cost telephone numbers.

I am furious at Audi for letting their long-term quality go down the toilet. And my experience is common - check the J D Power website for reports.

Me? I'm getting ready to trade this piece of you-know-what in for an Accord, just hoping that dealer doesn't read this website.
  • jodarjodar Member Posts: 53
    To update my previous post(s) about a phantom wheel/car shake, I took my car in for a Hunter Road Force test and it was determined that my rear tire had bad wheel bearings. So, for those who have experienced an intermittent shudder from one or more of your wheels that wheel balancing and alignments don't fix, consider the Hunter Road Force test.

Fortunately, my extended warranty paid for the service and 4 wheel alignment. My car runs like a charm now. It is very quiet and I am finally enjoying the smooth ride that my recently purchased tires can provide.

As far as the Audi dealership misdiagnosing the problem during the 50K service is a mystery. I'm beginning to lose faith in this particular dealership based on my experiences of late. Not sure if I have any recourse with Audi about recouping the $500 repair costs now. Any comments from readers/members?
  • parsinenparsinen Member Posts: 1
    I've had the same brake problems on my 2002 A6 4.2. Can you give me a manufacturer of the aftermarket drilled rotors or maybe the name of the Audi dealership that installed them? I'd appreciate the info before I go crazy. I live 3 hours away from the closest dealership and have had the car in 7 times for this problem. Any help will be appreciated.