Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• jramierijramieri Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a fully loaded A6 with the 4.2 engine.( about $59,000). The A8 has a larger interior and is somewhat more refined but is slower and less responsive. If the extra room and "panache" is worth 15K to you...go ahead but it wasn't to me. The 4.2 A6 is a nice blend of quickness, handling and moderate size but the A4 was too small and the A8 too big and too much $$ for the difference...Joe
  • jramierijramieri Member Posts: 2
    Funny but I'm amazed at the detail the Nav gives me in NJ. My Bluetooth phone (Motorola V710 works great but no cradle is forthcoming yet. Where do you live? Maybe a different CD is needed...Joe
  • duffy4duffy4 Member Posts: 18
    I bought the A6 4.2 for the same reason. The A8 L was just too big, I tried to park it on my test drive and it was not easy. I have really like the A6 so far, except for the advance key problem that I will be getting fixed next week. I also bought the 18 inch wheels which do nothing for me. I would have perfered the standard wheels, the ride would be a little smoother and the tires may last longer. I see no upside to these wheels. Anyway, I did buy the cradle for the Sony Erickson phone. It is the newest version of the phone recommended by Audi. It just snaps in the cradle and is fully functional-address book etc. The phone is not a flip phone but is actually smaller than my flip phone. It has bluetooth and the camera. What I like about it is it is charging when you are in the car and then you just take it with you.
    The $260 for the cradle is a huge rip off. I also changed from Verizon to Cingular based on the comments made on this board
  • jjf429jjf429 Member Posts: 1
    My interior overhead lights flash on brieflty from time to time (typically while acclerating from a stop). At one point the door adjar message popped up on the dash when the lights flashed on. Anyone have similar problem?
  • matvrixmatvrix Member Posts: 1
    I have a '01 A6 Quattro. It has been serving me well. But, after I moved to the sun-belt I have been getting some rattling sound when it gets more than 70 degrees outside. Well, my car is rather spoiled as it didn't have to go through these trerous elements, earlier.. A common concern I should be wary about ?

And, my warranty is just about to end and would like to know the things I should look into before its gets too late..

Any pointers, would be greatly appreciated..

Good day !!
  • grandmamacgrandmamac Member Posts: 4
    My "leakage" problem began at 45,000 miles. I was told by the Audi Dealer this is a "known problem" with the Audi. My car was no longer under warrantee (It's a 1999 A6, 2.8 liter engine) so the bill was over $2100.

I called Audi Customer Service this morning to report my displeasure with these defective parts (gaskets, seals, plugs) and the related expense of having them replaced on a car that has been babied all along. The service representative stated that they collect a data base of complaints and, if enough are recognized, may issue a recall / warrantee extension. Thus, I encourage each of you who has run into this costly situation to give them a call at 1-800-411-9988. Perhaps if they hear from enough of us something might be done...can only hope!
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Same problem on my 2000 A6 w/2.7T, 78,000 miles. Will have the cam seals, valve cover gaskets, timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, main/secondary water pump, thermostat, serpentine belt, spark plugs, air filter and an oil/filter change thrown in all at the sme time in the next 5,000 miles. Should be good to about 115,000 miles before the next major service.
  • halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    Hello all -

I have had my A6 (2000 miles) back twice to the dealer now because the "air bag" light is illuminated on the cluster. The 1st time I got the obligatory "we checked the codes and it showed this... and we reset it" no further activations. I was told it was the sensor for the rear center seatbelt ignitor (whatever that is). Well, 1 month later it's on again, and this time the dealer doesn't know what is causing it, but says they are now in contact with Audi to figure it out. This can't be good. I really really love the car, but was hoping all the stuff I read in here wouldn't happen to me, I just think electrical problems are never good. The dealer gave me a nice economical Chevy Suburban to drive around as a replacement.

My MMI nob also has snapped loose, although this one could be a car wash or kid snafu.

That's all for now, I'll keep the board posted as to the results.

Halofan
    Thanks to this board, I got my advance key fixed, rather than wait until my 5k service. It works great. Is there a way to lock the doors after you leave the car rather than using the key?
  • chitown1chitown1 Member Posts: 8
    If you have advanced key - there is a small button under the handle (on the right)on both front side doors that you can press to lock the door instead of using the key.
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    That button is under all four doors!
  • stormy111stormy111 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone heard of the airbag wiring system grounding out and causing the airbag system to deactivate? The airbag light in my A6 would randomly come on and give codes indicating the spiral spring or driver side airbag were defective. Audi chased this problem in my A6 for over a year before replacing the main wiring harness in the car. All the work together totalled about $7000, of which Audi picked up 75% since the problem started under warranty.
    That story does seem amazing, I have the same 2000 A6 2.7T with the same "airbag" light on issue. I was told by the dealer that an air bag replacement module is needed, Audi part # 8D0-959-655-K along with 2.9 hours of labor @ 110.50/hour bringing the total to :$815.00. Haven't had the repair done, in my case the light stays on consistently.
    don't do it. I had that light go on and off for 4 years I owned my 2001 a6 2.7. It usually would go on when my wife was in the passenger seat and my kids thought it was funny. It would go off after a few minutes or later that day. It is not worth $800 to fix
  • wattson1wattson1 Member Posts: 15
    has anyone tried getting audi 2006 a6 with the new S710a (blutetooth) ? Interested in how the bluetooth works ?
    Especially when the Audi dealer will only give a 1year, 12000 mile warranty on something that I call a "non-wearing" item. There isn't any reason why that air bag light stays on... the airbags have not deployed. I'm trying to figure out a way to simply disable the light, of course, the dealer said the whole system is interconnected so pulling one fuse will disable other important lights/features.
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    I had the same problem with my 05 4.2. The airbag light came on 1 week after I picked up the car. They called Germany and had to remove the front passenger seat and the rear seat to replace two sensors. The problem has not returned.
    I bought the new Sony Erickson phone, with bluetooth. This was the phone Audi recommended. I also bought the cradle ($250, rip off) I like the phone. I get all functions except the directory which is really the address book. I have it on blue tooth and carry it in my pocket and on longer trips it is in the cradle. The address book reads off the SIM card in the phone and I can pull up the address book while it is still in my pocket. I can call voice mail too. If you need the model # please advise. It is in my car now and it is raining like heck.
    I just got mine back today after 4 days in the shop, they had to remove the rear seat and replace the center belt sensor (seatbelt ignitor). So far so good. I was told they had to get Audi involved because I had been back once prior for the problem. I hope this is the fix. Hows your car been so far? I remember when you bought it, reading your posts. Mine has been fine outside of these issues.
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    It is a great car. It is fun to drive. I can't tell you how many people have stopped me in parking lots to tell me that it is a great looking car. The airbag light is the only problem that I have had. Luckily its week in the shop was the same week I was in Europe on vacation.
  • chrisbgoodchrisbgood Member Posts: 77
    Wt -- still got a third row seat? Anyone know the best way to acquire one?

Let me know -- I'm looking for one having acquired an A6 recently (1999 -- has been great fun for the family car).
  • stormy111stormy111 Member Posts: 16
    I would have the left the light on, but I got into it too early and thought it was simple to fix. Plus, there's the little problem that the entire airbag system is disabled when the light is on. I figured my family's life is worth the $$$, but it makes me doubt Audi's - I had heard they were electrical nightmares, but this takes the cake.

Good luck,
    Stormy111
  • kellyfkellyf Member Posts: 2
    I received my 2005 Audi A6 3.2 in early January and had problems with it almost stalling when starting out cold, and also noticeable lag when starting from stop. I lived with this until my 5000 mi oil change, when I took it in and mentioned the stalling issue. The dealer said they had seen this problem and the first thing they would try was to update the engine control program, and if that didn't work they would replace the fuel injectors.

I got it back after the engine control update and it was somewhat improved, but not perfect. I took it back and they replaced the fuel injectors and now it starts and runs great! No lag at all.

Good luck.
  • kellyfkellyf Member Posts: 2
    I received my 2005 Audi A6 3.2 in early January and had problems with it almost stalling when starting out cold, and also noticeable lag when starting from stop. I lived with this until my 5000 mi oil change, when I took it in and mentioned the stalling issue. The dealer said they had seen this problem and the first thing they would try was to update the engine control program, and if that didn't work they would replace the fuel injectors.

I got it back after the engine control update and it was somewhat improved, but not perfect. I took it back and they replaced the fuel injectors and now it starts and runs great! No lag at all.
    I, too, seem to have noticed a delayed throttle response when starting from a stop, but hadn't thought much about it. I figured it was normal. I only have 2200 miles, so I'll wait for the 5000 and see if it irons itself out. I do not have the problem in the tiptronic mode however. Thanks for the info, and I'll report when I see whether my dealer says "that's normal".

Halofan
  • magomanmagoman Member Posts: 4
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2002 A6 avant w/60miles for 19k.The car is very clean rides like a dream but then I never have had a german car before.... My mechanic advised me to stay away from the car. problems with ball joints & to change the timing belt you have to remove the
    bumper? The sales man said the timing belt interval for replacement is 100k ?
    Just wondering about the reliability of the 2002 A6?
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    It will be a fun car to drive, but unless you buy an extended warranty, it will eventually be costly to maintain. If you're primarily looking for reliability, this probably isn't the car...IMO
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I am looking at the A6 3.2 with the cold package, convenience package, and satellite radio.

What kinds of issues should I be concerned about with this model/year combination? Most of the issues I see here are dealing with 2000'ish model years.

Any input, advice, caveats, etc would be appreciated.

-Paul
  • magomanmagoman Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info. I was a mechanic for Ford a few years back and can do most general
    Maintain. Just wondering about the big things. Trans & drive train problems?
    What kind of gas mileage do they get?
    Paul,

So far, very few new model issues with the 3.2. No group reports of electronic glitches, an everyone is receiving sat without problem.

I think you'll be happy if you bought it, from early issue standpoint, as well as from fun drive.

Good luck.
    Magoman,

I personally haven't owned an A6 of this model year. Reliability was below average during that time, but I cannot give you more specifics as to the areas. Some specific Audi websites may have more details for you.
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    on a Canyon red with beige interior, Convenience package, Cold weather package, premium package, 17" wheels, satellite (XM), and a few other things. Hopefully it will work out for the best.

-Paul
  • jazzmbmjazzmbm Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have an Audi A6 3.0 and have had tire/balance, and wheel problems since I purchased vehicle. I am at my wits end. I have 38000 miles on the car. First set of tires all four at 22000 miles were completely shot with steel showing through the sides. Those tires were rotated front to the back early on before having to replace all four. Well as it happens 13,000 later, I didn't rotate the tires this time and my front two tires are completely shot with no tread. They tell me there is nothing wrong with the car. I have complained now to the dealership for two and a half years about the shake and the tire problem. Audi will not deal with the tire problem but send me to a Continental Dealer who doesn't want to get into it with the dealership. Any advice. And yes I am female and they think I don't know anything.
  • jazzmbmjazzmbm Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,
    I am having this problem on an Audi A6 02 and am at wits end. What is the mileage you are getting on the tires?
  • bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    I had an 02' 3.0 and had the original tires up until 47K miles...there was no metal showing through and in fact I had some tread left but didn't want to let leasing co. put new tires on at a ridiculous price so I did it. My tires were Michelin and speaking from experience on other brands of cars I've driven, Michelin tires seem to last longer than any other high quality brand I've ever owned.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I replaced my original tires at ~54K miles. Could have gone a bit longer but winter was approaching. I put original tires on. I have the oil changed every 5K miles and have the tires rotated at the same time. (2001 2.7T w/6-speed)

Alignment was another story. New tires meant time for an alignment and one side of the front end had corrosion that required replacement of tie rods and some other work. I think the work was about $600 before they could do the alignment.
    what model ? did u get the new S710A ? or u have a different model. For the address book to be read do the numbers have to be stored on the SIM card ?
  • unclebillunclebill Member Posts: 1
    I have 2002 A6 3.0, and I don't have any problem with the tire, I have 32K miles.
    I had a 1999 A8 before and it had the tire problem at about 20K miles, and the dealer told me it's the alignment problem to cause the premature wearing of the tire. Finally I had to replace 4 new tires and went back to dealer to get the alignment corrected and had no more problem with the tire since after.
  • panzshawpanzshaw Member Posts: 1
    We just experienced the problem with the water puddling on the driver's side and behind. Did you get an answer to your question?
    I got the T637. It has to be stored on the sim card. It worked great with the cradle for about 4 weeks, and now I get feed back for some reason. It still works great just with the blue tooth, with all functions
    has anybody had a problem with

- Airbag light comes "ON"
    - the car does not lock totally (the security (red light on the driver's door) does not blink but stays solid ?
    - Unable to change the channel on XM rcvr? When u choose rcvr serail number, the MMI just hangs with a message "loading"
    i just got a S710a sony ericsson. but my car is in the shop for the airbag light "ON" issue. so i have not
    wattson1,

The airbag light is supposed to come on. It lights whenever the airbag is turned off, such as when the passenger seat is empty.
  • dwinerdwiner Member Posts: 13
    2000 A6 2.7T 6M Black Onyx 85K mi. I love it, I love it, I love it!

When I turn on the A/C I get a "garbage" smell for a minute or two. I think this is a classic condensate drain plug problem. Can someone tell me where the drain is located, and where the plug usually occurs on the A6? Troubleshooting and repair details are always welcome.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • lemon3lemon3 Member Posts: 1
    I am having so many problems with my 2003 A6 2.7T, I could never recommend an Audi of any year to anyone, not even to an enemy. The car has had problems since 1200 miles and as of today (the dealer still has the car), it only has 20,000 miles on it. The car has been to the service department for 15 different problems, some of them major. The valve cover gaskets were leaking oil onto the manifold(possible cause of fire) and smoking badly, the turbos blew the day I picked the car up from that repair(my mechanic told me it was quite probable the service tech dropped something into the open head and it travelled down to the turbo, thereby ruining the turbo). They had it 13 days, then another 14 days because the car wasn't running properly. I drove it a week, and the alternator went, causing the battery to drain. The dealer just called to state the starter just seized as they were going to call me to pick the car up. I have spoken to corporate many times and they insist on repairing this LEMON. I suggested they replace the vehicle with a new model for the remainder of my lease, but NOOOOOO! They choose to stonewall me instead. DON'T DO IT!!!!! DON'T BUY AN AUDI!!!!!! IT'S THE WORST CAR I HAVE EVER DRIVEN. YOU'LL BE SORRY!!!!!!!!
  • dwinerdwiner Member Posts: 13
    My 2000 2.7T 's airbag light comes on occasionally. The system is "airbag and seatbelt tensioners", though. I found each time that it was a rear seatbealt that needed a jiggle.
    the manual says it needs to be off. if everything is OK with the sytem
  • tmjohnsontmjohnson Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Audi A6 was pulsating and the steering wheel would shake when I had to slow down or stop. I brought it to the dealership and they said that the break pads in the front had about 5000 miles left on them but that the front rotors were blue from heat damage. I was informed that break pads were covered under warranty but that rotors were not and to replace them would cost $440.00. I contacted Audi Consumer Complaints and was told that the dealership followed procedure and that the rotors are not covered under warranty. Has anyone had the same problem? Any suggestions on how to get Audi to cover the repair?
    I have the same "airbag light on" problem on my 20000 A6 2.7T. Thanks for the tip, will try playing with the rear seatbelts.
  • a6owner1a6owner1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Audi A6 2.0 TDI it stalls from cold and has turbo lag, any ideas?