Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• skippy6skippy6 Member Posts: 1
    I also called Audi American to voice my concerns about my 1999 A6 transmission (front wheel drive) failing after 88,000 miles and that the company line is that at this mileage it is up to dealer discretion for any financial assistance. I have taken all of my vehicles to the same dealer for service. (17 years combined) I have personally owned 4 Audi vehicles with good results all with mileage exceeding 150,000 miles. I am dissapointed that as an owner and Audi supporter that with simple commuter driving conditions that a vehicle with this much technology and engineering is having so many issues. (broken motor mounts) (ABS brain failure).
    I would be appreciative of any feedback. Sadly, I think after a 25 year run that I am done with Audi.
  • fairbanks99fairbanks99 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a non-quattro A6, with 95,000 miles. Good service history, looks and runs well. I am guessing the front shocks need replacing, as the front end bottoms out fairly easily. What kind of a bad-road ride should this car have? I live in Fairbanks, AK, and many of our roads here have frost heaves. Also, the lock button on drivers side usually does not go down by itself. Is this a vacuum system, and are there any likely places to start troubleshooting? I got this car to replace my beloved 80 240D, as a rear wheel drive diesel car just does not do well here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • cyandyuscyandyus Member Posts: 1
    Hello folks I am glad I found these forums and hello to all. I have what seems like an unsual problem today, my radio will not shut off in the car ( it is the non-removable commander unit) and my air conditioning quit. Any Tips? They would be very welcomed.
    Got in touch with audi dealer, they might be able to get me in "next week".

Thanks in Advance
    cyandyus - 02 Audi A6 3.0
  • shaymasdaddyshaymasdaddy Member Posts: 16
    I'm new to this forum so I need your help....just found a 2002 A6 2.7t Quattro with 20K miles. It is Audi certified and the Carfax looks clean (meaning...not a lot of trips to the dealership). What are the some major things I need to consider before making this purchase? Need help fast because my wife just fell in love with one that is Ming Blue with tan leather.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    I'd be pretty happy with that choice, too. I have a 2001 2.7T w/6-speed. 66K miles in four and a half years. I've had a couple minor problems. I had a sensor go out that made the car take several tries to start. It took two visits to the dealer (loaner each time) to find the problem. It was a combination of clutch and seat. Since the problem occurred infrequently the solution was tough to find. Also had a cracked window slide last winter. The dealer fixed it at a normal service interval. the only other problem was a check engine light which turned out to be a failed heat sensor. The dealer told me there were 1500 reasons the light would come on.

I'd buy this car again. It's a great ride. I like the 6-speed and the '06 Audi A6 is over priced and only has an auto so I'm hanging on to this for a while. The dealer has been great and I go there for all my maintenance. I understand that the serpentine belt replacement at 90K is an $1800 maintenance item. Someone may have more details on that. Good luck.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Your car is still under warranty, you lost AC, and the radio won't shut off, and the dealer "might" get you in until NEXT WEEK?! :confuse:

I'd call and insist they see you sooner. This isn't elective maintenance...they should take you and try to fit you in, IMO. If they don't work with you, call AOA and complain. The dealerships are supposed to be working on improving service to compete with other lux dealerships, including Lexus. Doesn't seem like they're doing it in your particular example...
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    That is the "timing belt" issue for $1800, the serpentine belt replacement should run about $150.00 at the dealer.
    I hope you're right about that! That would be good news. I've only opened the hood on this thing once. I've been considering a trade - Acura RL, Infiniti FX of M are on the top of the list. But I like the way the cars rides, great performance, and good service when I go in for my oil change (which I do every 5,000 miles).
  • duffy4duffy4 Member Posts: 18
    I live in NJ and my new a6 4.2 has had a few nagging problem in the first 5k miles. The advance key has required two replacements and the gas guage has been repaired two times, the second time required the shipping of a new instrument cluster from Germany and a 14 day stay at the dealership. (I have been driving a new Allroad, nice car). All told, the car has been out of service for 18 days in the first 3 months of ownership. How is Audi on the lemon law. In NJ, it is 3 times with the same problem or 20 days out of service in the first 18,000 miles. Bascially, I just want a new car----that works
  • archichrisarchichris Member Posts: 11
    I had the exact same problem on my 2002 2.7T 6-spd. with, what I referred to as the 'clutch interface switch." It took the dealer 4 visits over a period of 3 months just to figure it out. Then 6 weeks to get the part in. That has been my biggest problem with the car. Otherwise, it's been pretty perfect.
  • archichrisarchichris Member Posts: 11
    Oh, and I forgot .... the fuel computer has sometimes led me to believe I had zero miles worth of gas, when I actually had 2~3 gallons. My lease on my A6 2.7T is up 11/2 and I'm leaning towards the '06, but all of this talk about problems with the advance key has me nervous. I have read countless posts about it.
  • keyeskeyes Member Posts: 5
    ive put roughly 7500 miles on the car and no problems at all. :)
  • duffy4duffy4 Member Posts: 18
    Even though I have had a few nagging problems, I still love my 2005 a6 4.2. I just wish I had waited for the 2006. I think most of the nagging problems will have been fixed, the dealership has been great and the car is beautiful. The 2006 colors are better too,. In 2005, the colors were lame. The a8 had better choices. In 2006, they have a great light gray that I saw in the showroom
    My one year anniversary of my car will be in 2 wks. During this time, I have to say I have loved the car. The A6 definitely has its drawbacks (low city mileage, problems with starter buttons, perhaps not as much HP as I'd like) but overall, I am happy to have bought it. I don't regret it at all. I still look forward to driving it and still park it far away from others to try to prevent the inevitable ding.
  • sdevinesdevine Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1998 A6 2.8, and I am having oil leaks as well. However, it didn't really start until about 92,000 miles and got progressively worse. I took it to my independent mechanic who is very good with Audis, and he could not find the source. However, he did not dig into the car very deep. I think he was concerned about the labor costs of actually finding the leak. It is leaking in the area above the A/C compressor, and is not the valve cover gasket or head gasket. I suspect the cam seals are the culprit, but when I look inside the timing belt covers, there is a little residue- but not much. Can it leak from the cam seals without leaking into the timing belt area? The leak started out to be a little drip, but has turned into an alarming puddle. It also seems to be leaking on the passenger side rear, thus making smoke from a drip on the exhaust. I replaced the valve cover gasket on that side- but to no avail.
  • joatjoat Member Posts: 3
    hi fairbanks99-
    you ABSOLUTELY must check to see if the timing belt and/or water pump maintenance was done on the car. if not, you're in for a big bump (financial).
    you definitely want to replace the timing belt if it's not been done recently.
    i couldn't agree more with you!!
    um...it works off a satellite so when the signal is interrupted, no sound.
    tunnels, overpasses, trees, etc.
  • geosfgeosf Member Posts: 3
    Wow ... loved my 2000 A6 2.7T. All service and maintenaince done by Audi dealer as specified. Two weeks ago the Check Engine light came on. Dealer said he had to order an emissions part but it was OK to drive. One week later the water pump goes out on the highway. Car towed to the dealer from the side of the road. Verdict: Water pump siezed, timing belt jumped some teeth, broke valves and damaged pistons ... that will be one new short block sir.

Anyone else with similiar experience?
    That is my biggest fear! I have 68K miles on my 2001 2.7T and have been considering a trade. I really like the car - especially the 6-speed. Audi has gone overboard with pricing and I'm looking at Acura and Infiniti.

How many miles did you have on the car? Has anyone done routine timing belt service and the recommended service point and pushed these models past 100K??
    Ooops ... I had 65K and just had the dealer do the 67K check.
    You live in Faibanks and don't drive an AWD vehicle? I hope the plows do an excellent job in the winter!
    I drive a 2000 A6 2.7T, 85,000 miles and recently had the cam /valve cover gaskets replaced at a non-dealer shop. They looked at the water pump/timing belt and they did not need replacing at this time. They mentioned 100 to 105,000 miles to bring the Audi back for these replacement services. I hope that you had an extended warranty to cover the $15,000 engine replacement!
    Nope! No extended warranty. Still working with the dealer for repair cost.
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    Big Problem - anyone else? Tried to start my BEAUTIFUL blk/tan '05 A6; turned key, nothing happened. To boot, key stuck in ignition. Flat bed to dealer - 3 weeks later, this is the story: Problem is a module in the steering column. This has happened before at this dealer - and apparently other places. Dealer tried to order column - none in the USA -have to order from Germany. AUDI will not replace the steering column (they know there is a systemic problem -why replace a column with one known to have defectively designed and manufactured?) - So- back to the engineers for a "fix" column/module. Local dealer gave me a car (another story: '06 with 50 miles on it and a defective air pressure sensor that keeps going off/showing malfunction). Are all us AUDI lovers stuck with the VW/AUDI electronic bugs of old?? Tom
  • tommtomm Member Posts: 31
    good luck - see my post #544..;)
    Thanks. That's encouraging, I think. I take the car in every 5000 miles for an oil change. Last time I had the shop check the serpentine belt and they said it was good for the normal service interval. If I thought that was the only major service item I'd have for the next 3 or 4 years I'd hang on to this car.
  • neiljneilj Member Posts: 1
    Have an older (1996) A6 wagon - four speed auto; just recently it sticks in 3rd gear, will shift down normally but gets no further than 3rd. Have to stop, switch off and restart and sometimes corrects itself. Any ideas?
  • richardk2richardk2 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 A6 with the Bose sound system. With my last car, I used a cassette adapter to play an iPod, which is not an option since the A6 doesn't have a cassette player. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    At this time, the only option is one of those FM transmitters... They are working on a link with the MOST system but it is still likely a year or so away, from what I've heard.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Check out our Car Tech Blog. There is an article there with a link about how to "Ipod Your Car".
  • tfynantfynan Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2005 A6 in September, and have the exact same problem. I was told by the dealer it was a software issue that needed upgrading. I am having it done in two days. Was your problem ever fixed?
  • chitown1chitown1 Member Posts: 8
    Yes, was fixed, but it took multiple calls to german HQ to figure out that the battery control module needed to be replaced entirely (not an upgrade, but a replacement). Once they figured that out it was a 1 day fix and no battery problems since...Good luck!
  • tfynantfynan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. I will make certain they replace the battery control module when I bring it in tomorrow.
  • bhamacurabhamacura Member Posts: 8
    I thought I share this frustrating experience with the other readers of the forum since I have gained so much valuable information from this site over the past 4 months:

I recently purchased a 2005 A6 3.2 (fairly loaded) at 5999 miles from a reputable Audi dealer as a certified pre-owned car. The car was being driven by an executive at the dealership and was not a demo or loaner. Service was impeccable and purchase was very straightforward and hassle free.

After roughly eight hundred miles, the transmission was noticeably “rough” and eventually, the engine light went on and the car automatically went into ‘safe’ mode, which means the car stays stuck in 3rd gear so you can get back to the dealership.

After diagnostics at the dealership, the car needs a brand new transmission which they will be installing this week. This is shocking considering that there is less than 7000 miles on it. Suffice to say that I am very frustrated with such a massive mechanical failure and worried that this is a sign of things to come. But, I do love this car and Audi did a splendid job designing it overall.

My family has had 4 Audis and most of them have been great, but this really has put a dent into my loyalty to this brand. Perhaps this will change if there are no other mechanical problems.

Future buyers: this is a fantastic car but one has to wonder…

Will let the others know how the repairs turn out in a follow up email.
  • alschultzalschultz Member Posts: 2
    Our 2000 A6 4.2 (75k mi) has been at our local Audi dealer for close to 2 months now. Seems everytime they fix something in response to the Check Engine Light and "codes" another failure code pops up. So far, we have replaced the camshaft position sensor twice, both camshaft tensioners, and valve seals on the right bank. While reassembling the cylinder head after getting new valve seals the Audi mechanic cracked a small aluminum bracket, one of several that hold the two camshafts in the head. Audi does not sell the part and prescribes a new cylinder head, for about $2,500. Yea, right! Has anybody had similar problems with these engines? This is our 4th Audi, but we cannot seem to get any response from the company to convince us we ought to replace this car (we sure aren't keeping a car that tives us this much trouble). Oh, and in spite of about $800 of work on the problem, the AM part of the radio has never worked since we bought the car a little over 2 years ago.
    While reassembling the cylinder head after getting new valve seals the Audi mechanic cracked a small aluminum bracket, one of several that hold the two camshafts in the head.

If he broke it, I would insist the the dealership pay for the new $2500 parts as it is their fault...not to mention all the time the car has been in the shop...

You should have fixed the radio when you bought the car and while it was still under warranty (I'm assuming it isn't anymore unless it was CPO'd, in which case, have them fix it). I hope you've contacted AOA and gotten them involved. It may help the service dept be more responsive and quick in fixing the car...not to mention, they may be more helpful in paying to just replace something with AOA approval...

Good luck and be sure to update us on the outcome.
  • raajahraajah Member Posts: 1
    The car has less than 2K miles on it. It has already died twice. Each time, it happened after I left the car in a parking lot at our work only to find that the battery had drained out when I returned after the work day, about 9 hours. Seems like the car does not shut off all of its electronics and continues to draw current from the batery.
  • chitown1chitown1 Member Posts: 8
    Check your battery indicator...a couple of us on this site have had issues with a faulty battery control module that reads the battery as being low and causes the car to shut down its functions...while your car has actually died (mine just shut down auxiliary functions), maybe it is the same issue. At the time this happened to me, my car was months old with only hundreds of miles on it, yet the battery indicator was reading the battery to be below 20%. Good luck.
  • ccusickccusick Member Posts: 5
    Hello All,

I think I want to purchase an Audi A6 soon. What are the pros and cons... I am fairly scared about German cars these days so please be honest.

Chick
  • bradw1bradw1 Member Posts: 1
    Recently I have become totally convinced that Audi engineers do not know what the words "quality" and "reliability" actually mean. Their consistently weak design, use of inferior parts, and general failure to acknowledge and correct problems has put Audi in a downward spiral. In the last three years, I've experienced the following problems. Failure of: cam shaft position sensor, mass Air flow sensor, water pump, outer tie rod ends, brake light switch, two batteries died (every two years), warped brake rotors at 30K miles, broken headlight washer covers. Now the “piece de resistance”, transmission is acting up and shifting hard between 4th and 5th gears. My advice to anyone considering the purchase of a new or used Audi, DON'T! You can't pay more for less.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I suggest you take some time and scan through all of the Audi A6 discussions. You can access them easily using the "Browse by Vehicle" search to the left. This should give you an overall view of the A6 rather than those concerned with problems.
  • dbwbdbwb Member Posts: 1
    My A6 2000 2.7T had the same problem, rubber fan shroud stuck in fan along with high pitched noise. Fan shroud was removed. Both fans are now running. Problem: high temperature indicator comes on. Engine gives no sign of being hot other that gauge. Thoughts?
  • audi_beaaudi_bea Member Posts: 1
    I just got an Audi A6 and I was told that there are BOSE car integration devices for the Ipod but I haven'/t found anything yet. -- The only site out there was: http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipodyourcar/ but the message was COMING SOON..

if you hear anything let me know
  • boggie2boggie2 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the above car in September in 2005. It currently has 2200 miles on it and is at the dealers AGAIN for undiagnosed problems. The car has been there for almost two weeks now. The first problem occurred with the when the ESP light came on than the engine started to skip & the engine light came on. The dealer repaired car and I was told the software for the fuel injection had to be "tweaked". While driving the car home from this "repair" the same thing happened & the car smelled like something was burning. Now the dealer has had the car for almost two weeks and tried several differnent repairs so far none have corrected the problem. Today they called me to say they were replacing valves (which they are taking from a new car on the lot) & will call me tomorrow with the latest results. Besides the aggravation of a new car being unusable I can't believe they can take valves from a car on the lot & install them in another car.
    Per the dealer they do it all the time to save time... Has anyone heard of this or had similar problems with an 2005 3.2 A6 Thank You?
  • dsmith7dsmith7 Member Posts: 1
    okay i recently acquired a flooded 2000 audi a6 2.7l biturbo and although the engine was safe, the computers in the floorboard got damaged. I have since replaced the computers but it still wont start. the key won't even come out of the ignition. can somebody please offer some advice? thank you
  • edwin726edwin726 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys need help please. The screen on the dashboard has lines through it. Does any one have any idea what it would cost to replace of fix this problem?
    If it has had the same problem that the dealership has been unable to fix after 3 attempts and many weeks of trying, the car may be considered a lemon. At the very least, you should talk to the dealership manager (not the service manager) and discuss replacing the car. The can then call AOA and at the very least, get them involved, and at the best, get approval for a replacement to be issued...

Good luck and let us know how it works out...
  • arj1arj1 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. The reason that the battery drains in my A6 (2.4Se petrol) is that the brake lights come on overnight! The car is four months old, 3.5k on thr clock. This has started to happwen overnight since the colder weather cut in.
  • arj1arj1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a four month old A6 3.5k miles on the clock bought new. Brake lights come on overnight causing the battery to drain. This has started to happen since the cold weather cut in. Any ideas?