Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    After driving some passengers to the airport today, I noticed the red Air Bag warning light illuminate on the central dashboard display, and it is staying lit.

Anybody else had a similar issue come up and if so how was it resolved?

2005 Audi A6 3.2
  • kgarykgary Member Posts: 180
    I had the same problem a week after I picked up the car. It turned out to be a bad sensor in the rear seat. Several other people have reported the same problem.

Kevin
  • rpatchrpatch Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your response. Your analysis of the mass air flow sensor was right on. They replaced it for free, but they are making up for it by selling me tie rod ends, 02 sensors, exhaust temp sensor, and turbo cut off valves. Total about $2k.

My good deal on a used Audi didn't turn out to be such a good deal.

I am having the work done at a dealership. It was convenient and they had the parts, and say they could do it in a day. It is my first trip to the shop with the car, so I wanted it checked thoroughly, but realize that I am probably paying more than at a smaller shop. Any guess what percentage more one pays to a dealership than to a "Euro cars" shop? Is it worth it? Just curious for future reference.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    I agree. If a salesperson had given me a complete "cradle to grave" seminar to keep my 2000 A6 running properly the last 87,000 miles, I (and everybody else) would never purchase such an automobile and certainly only lease within the warranty period.
  • halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    Read my post just up from this one, mine was actually a center seat belt sensor, after repeated trips the dealer was unable to get my car fixed and I am now in the process of having my car replaced by Audi. My advice is to get the car to the dealer right away. They will probably re-set the "fault codes" first hoping that that will make the problem go away. It didn't for me, hopefully it will for you. Take notes about your conversations with your dealer in the event that this is an on-going problem and you have to deal with AoA in the future.

Good Luck.
    Thanks for the input by both of you fellas. I called my dealer immediately and I will take it in on Thursday -- I can't make it in any sooner.

I asked how long the repair might take -- the answer I got was predicated on having to "order the part". I'm beginning to hear this a lot at Audi dealerships. This was rarely the case with Acura or Lexus, who could get a part in hours, if it was not already there at the dealership.

What is Audi's "MO" -- modus operandi -- as it relates to stocking parts? Where in the USA are they stocked? (Assuming that they stock any over here). What's the deal with the slow parts turnaround times?

At present, Audi wants you to drive to the dealer (there and back -- one roundtrip) get the problem code diagnosed, then come back again (second roundtrip) on yet another day to get the part installed. Hey, we're talking about OUR time and money for all of this running around. This can easily add up to HOURS. Hours + gas = MONEY.

Audi is not making any friends with this policy. IMO, it's a shabby way to run a business, and a brand.

Free scheduled maintenance. Yeah, that may be free, but what about the unscheduled maintenance? What does that really cost?
    I had a Mercedes before this Audi and Mercedes did a far better job at stocking parts. I'm not sure Audi stocks alot of parts anyway because the 05 A6 is a re-model and the dealers haven't figured out the problematic areas yet to stock parts necessary for the repairs. I have made MANY unscheduled trips to my dealer, and yeah it gets a little old...
    Read my post just up from this one, mine was actually a center seat belt sensor, after repeated trips the dealer was unable to get my car fixed and I am now in the process of having my car replaced by Audi. My advice is to get the car to the dealer right away. They will probably re-set the "fault codes" first hoping that that will make the problem go away. It didn't for me, hopefully it will for you.

Thanks for the above info. Very helpful.

Dealer ran the codes and determined the "sporadic" fault was in the right rear seat belt tensioner. They cleared the fault and reset it. "OK" now -- air bag light stays off. They said that if the light goes on again they will order and replace the part.

As the right rear seat is precisely where my first ever rear passenger sat, I have to assume that at the very least, they've identified the right spot.

You mentioned that your center rear seat unit was repeatedly defective and now the car is being replaced. What was the problem, in your opinion, and what explanations did Audi have? How many times did you have it repaired before they finally acknowledged your "lemon"?
    "You mentioned that your center rear seat unit was repeatedly defective and now the car is being replaced. What was the problem, in your opinion, and what explanations did Audi have? How many times did you have it repaired before they finally acknowledged your "lemon"?"

My problem is with the center seat belt receptacle. I have had the entire buckle and assembly replaced, they took apart the center console to check a wire harness that connected the seat belt sensor to the airbag control unit. Mine would stay fixed for about 1,500 miles before someone would get back in the center seat and the light would come on again. I have had my car at the dealer for about 25 days spanning 4 different trips in the 9 months I have owned the car. I am a 1st time Audi owner, and I get the feeling that Audi isn't quite sure how to fix this problem as of yet. I was told that my problem is more than likely a "software" problem and that a "fix" is in the works, but that they wanted to resolve my problem now. They told me that they intended to make me a "happy" owner and to do what was right and I commend them for it.

I think it's going to take a few more trips and down time in order for Audi to step in. They are AWARE of the problem believe me, I'm sure they don't want to get in the habit of buying back cars regularly. I have been very impressed in my dealings with Audi over the issue and I will report back when I have the new car. Good Luck to you in the mean time.
  • jbaakjbaak Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 A6 with 81,000 miles. Recently, the turn signals started acting up. At first, they stopped working whenever you began making a slight turn (like a lane change). Then, they stopped working altogether. I replaced the front and rear bulbs (one was burned out, the other contacts looked worn and it was such a pain to get out the ones in front, I decided to replace them all). Just to be safe, I also replaced the fuse. At first that seemed to have fixed the problem, but two days later, they stopped working again.

Any suggestions? I'm afraid I might have a short, possibly in the steering column or turn signal switch.
  • gmoongmoon Member Posts: 1
    hi jfk,
    did you find out what the problem was?
    My A6 2.7T has just got the same problem.

thanks
    Same car with 86,000 miles.Experienced the same turn signal problem. Audi replaced combination switch and failed hazard switch. Part # 4bo-941-509-d-b98---emergency switch
    Part # 8lo-953-513-j-o1c --turn signal switch

The first switch cost $29.90, the second,$65.07, the labor to install---$328.10.
  • jbaakjbaak Member Posts: 2
    Thanks - I just got back from the dealer with the turn signal relay switch (4BO-941-509-C-B98, $30). I saw a posting on AudiWorld web site (Allroad forum) with detailed instructions on how to replace the relay, including color pictures (posted 9-7-04). I would have never figured out where it was or how to get it out without it. It might be useful if you still have the car in 4 years.

Everything seems to be working fine now. I didn't need the second switch you mentioned, thankfully. I'll add it to my long list of annoying Audi problems.
  • russ9russ9 Member Posts: 1
    My turn signals just stopped working....Emergency flasher and all bulbs are fine. Sometimes it clicks once and then goes no further. Fuse for turn signal relay also OK. Any suggestions or thoughts...needless to say, it's Saturday and no one is ever in Audi Service on Saturday. Thanks.........
  • strethstreth Member Posts: 1
    I have this exact same issue with my 02. Just dropped it off at the dealer after waking up every morning the last week to find all 4 windows down. Luckily it wasn't raining. Does anyone else have experience with this? How much and what fix?
  • rpatchrpatch Member Posts: 5
    My 2000 A6 has moisture in one of the headlight covers. It doesn't seem to effect the headlights, it just doesn't look clear when the lights are off.

Any solutions?
  • smithjsdsmithjsd Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problems for about a week now. Did you find out what the problem was/is? We are currently stationed in England so I contacted the dealership today. They are supposed to get back to me so schedule an appt. England is also a very rainy country so this is a problem for me. Please let me know if you found a solution.
    Thanks.
    smithjsd
    mobilejimbo@yahoo.com
    Had the same problem on my Audi. Dealer replaced the driver's door lock assembly.

Audi part # 4B1-837-063-A LOCK ZYL ------------$121.07
    Labor to Install-------------------------------$289.50
    Airfreight PART from Germany-------------------$20.00

Fixed the problem but now car has 2 keys, one for the ignition , and the new one for the door. Will only be an issue if the remote key FOB fails.
  • hawk248hawk248 Member Posts: 27
    We have had our A6 3.2, Prem + Satellite, for about a month now. No problems yet. Actually, very pleased with the car so far. I am debating if I should take it to dealer for an early oil change, around 600 miles, for about $100. The first Audi scheduled oil change is not due till 6 months or 5000 miles.

Any recommendations? This is our first German car. I am actually used to doing oil changes in our garage, for our Suburban and Nissan Maxima. Does any one know if Audi oil change requires special tools or consideration?
    We have had our A6 3.2, Prem + Satellite, for about a month now. I am debating if I should take it to dealer for an early oil change, around 600 miles, for about $100. The first Audi scheduled oil change is not due till 6 months or 5000 miles.

We discussed this very question here several weeks back. Basically there seem to be two schools of thought. One being to just follow the Audi scheduled maintenance and get it changed at 5K, 15K, 25K,35K and so on, and the other to change more frequently.

I happen to be in the latter camp. Being old school, I believe that it is important to dump the break-in oil long before 5,000 miles. You have little to lose and everything to gain as far as I am concerned. My plan was to change the break-in oil at 1,000 miles, though I ended up a tiny bit past that due to some dealership scheduling issues.

My opinion is that if you are planning to keep the car beyond the warranty period, then by all means spend a few extra bucks and get the oil changed more frequently.

I will be getting my oil changed at the 5,000 mile interval, and then every 5,000 miles thereafter, notwithstanding the free oil change from Audi every 10,000 miles. It's cheap insurance and peace of mind as far as I am concerned. Especially since so many of the "synthetic" oils on the market today are no longer true synthetics (chemically engineered vs. highly refined organic crude oil)

By the way, not all Audi dealerships charge $100 for an oil change; some are at $69.95 and some are at $89.95. On the high end was $140.00, at Beverly Hills Audi -- quite steep, though I will say to their credit you could chose from Castrol Syntec or Mobil One. Call around -- different dealers offer different oils and prices.

There is some additional news you may be interested in learning. A number of Audi dealers will soon start using a true, full synthetic oil, specially made to VW's precise 502.00 oil specification for this Audi model. Indeed, the oil was made for VW at VW's specific request. It's made by a big European oil company - TOTAL. The oil name brand is called ELF. Elf and Total enjoy a successful racing car tradition. The product is called Excellium LDX 5W40. It is designed for "vigorous" driving styles and for extended oil drain intervals. Everything I have read and heard suggests that it is a superlative oil, and IMO, far superior to Castrol Syntec, and even conventional Mobil One (only Extended Performance Mobil One is a true, full synthetic).

As for doing it yourself, I would suggest that you have the dealer do the first one, and you watch from afar. Changing the oil on this car is a whole different operation than a Japanese car. For starters, a very large plastic shield that protects the oil pan and motor area must be removed in order to gain access to the drain plug. I believe that the oil filter is accessed from above -- not below -- and the filter is a paper element only -- NOT a typical spin-on metal filter used in Japanese cars. Then of course, you know that the car takes about 9 quarts of oil!

One more thing: Just in case you or others were not made aware, Audi now requires a very specific grade and weight of oil for the A6; any other oil or grade that does not meet that spec could void the warranty! The specification is known as "VW 502.00". Be sure to double check that that is what's going in your car. Keep all service receipts, proving both the frequency of your oil changes and that you have used approved motor oils and Audi oil filters.
    ANY thoughts?

Very fishy! Sounds like a total rip-off to me. I would have them take the car to an independent Audi repair shop and have that shop assess what is and is not actually wrong with the car. Any replaced "bad" parts should be tagged and given to you and or Audi of America (AoA) for independent analysis.

I would also complain to AoA, and go straight to the top.
  • bostonjakebostonjake Member Posts: 3
    The Audi Collection (collection.audiusa.com) is saying that they will have an iPod Adapter available in late February for A6 2006s.

I am a bit skeptical as they do not have any details. There is an adapter kit around as of year end for A3 and A4s.
  • kirby2010kirby2010 Member Posts: 136
    Hawk - Not sure I agree with the other position on removing the breakdown oil too prematurely. I asked about it when I bought my 2001 and the service manager recommended the full service interval.

I do take my car in every 5000 miles for oil and a tire rotation. 5 years and 71K miles and I'm still very happy. I may trade in the future -- I've been saying that for a while. One recommendation though. Don't use your car to run short errands. These cars need to come up to full operating temperature every time they are driven. If you run a four mile errand, park the car and drive home you'll have trouble sooner than later.

Our family has gone for years to the local family owned oil change place (name escapes me). Once they only put 5 quarts of oil in our Jeep Grand Cherokee (6 quart capacity) but they're local and I let it go. When I asked about the Audi they told me I needed to notify them in advance so they could have the right filter on hand. So, thinking about my 6.3 quart capacity, I decided the dealer was the way to go. Not sure what it costs (don't care) but I'm happy with them.

Good luck - you'll like this car.
  • thinnestwalletthinnestwallet Member Posts: 1
    Absolutely exactly the same problem on my 2002 A6. My flasher works too and ALL the bulbs are okay. But the turn signals blink once or twice and then stop. Could you please tell me what you did? How much did the fix cost? Thanks, -TW
  • vermontjimbovermontjimbo Member Posts: 1
    Just thought I'd log in as one person who has had positive Audi experiences. I'm picking up a 2006 A6 3.2 on a 36mo lease tomorrow.

I'm trading a Certified 2001 A6 2.7T 6 speed, which has every available option, and which I bought at 14k. It now has 63k. I worried about reliability at the outset, but I've never had any unscheduled interruption during it's service life. The dealer did 5k oil changes within the warranty. at 34k seepage was noted on the rear main seal, which they replaced and also replaced the clutch and throw out bearing because they had gotten some oil on the plate. After the free 4yr/50k period. The computer signaled I needed an oil change after 7k/12months. As I understand it there is an algorithm that projects the interval based on time, mileage, rpm and temperatures. Oh yes, the pads and rotors needed replacing at 57k, but arguably they should have been replaced at 49.7k when the last in-warranty service was performed.

Prior to the A6, I owned a 1999 Audi A4 Avant. I had no problems with that vehicle. It was a 3 year lease return, bought at auction car with 23k, which I drove for a year up to 40k. I purchased a $1,300 full extended warranty (Wynn), which I never needed and got back all but $100 when I traded the car.

Generally, I prefer German cars and have historically owned BMW's and Mercedes. I also have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S with 16k--the protected child--and a 2002 Mercury Mountaineer--a more maintenance thirsty vehicle.

That's my two cents.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Member Posts: 121
    2001A6T: let me count the ways: AM radio failure 2,000 miles, cracked radiator fluid overflow container (sits right on top of manifold...all fluid on garage floor) 3,500 miles, windows spontaneously rolling down (3,000-6,000), multiple (6-8) Airbag, check engine lights (all mileages), sunroof failure open position! (11,000) during our Sierra winter, and finally, still in warranty, Turbo Crash/leak!!(40,000). Since we live in the High country in Yosemite California, nearest dealer Sacramento or Pleasanton...each 280 miles round trip...all but two of the above required going down, getting diagnosed, getting told "no parts"...once I made them scavenge from another new A-6 I was so mad, and going home, coming back...so each of the about 8 things was a 500 mile experience...the turbo was that, plus a ten day in-dealer imprisonment. Now, when the car was purchased, it stood out on Car and Driver's cover as #1...the first time it took out BMW 5, Volvo and I believe, a Lexus. Now, go look at Consumer's Report Auto edition...2001 A6T is listed under the hated category "Avoid" in used cars...right there with most Jeeps, Volkswagen and a couple others. I was so glad this was a lease...I admit, it was the BEST road car I have ever owned, super in snow, and before Audi I had the '97 BMW 5...the Audi was quiet, luxurious, got great gas mileage and I grew to love the lines...but much like beautiful women can fool you, this car absolutely turned on me, over and over, and I am so glad the turbo went out on warranty ($5,000..not on it). OH...changing the engine air filter takes 3/4 hour and expertise. Finally, the extended oil-lube-filter schedule is a sham, concocted not because "our engines have lots of oil and also have closer tolerances" but to save Audi money. I looked into an extended warranty at the 48 month lease-end, and gee whiz, it was $3,000...and at the end I would OWN a SEVEN year old Audi, that no longer could have ANY warranty. I must sadly depart these pages and resume my loyalty to Nissan. I tried, but the Germans need to learn basic electricity, not to put plastic over hot metal, and to make air filters slide in and out in a minute. I know now the reason there are no computers made in Germany, and after all, we did beat them in two wars...so what did I do?, I become a Japanese car owner again. Hyundai anyone? 100,000 miles and 10 year warranty...all checkmarks 2006 Consumer Reports for last three years reliability. I will miss these forums, but will check back to see how the 06 folks are doing and if the dealers, parts, call backs and electricity problems have gotten better. Sayonara...John B from Yosemite Valley
  • hawk248hawk248 Member Posts: 27
    My question is regarding outside mirror auto tilt in reverse. Is it something that needs to be enabled through MMI interface? Should both mirrors tilt down in reverse?

This is our first German car. I am also little confused about memory seat function. I would think that after I set my preference in memory 1, all I should have to do is press it once to retrive my setting. However, I have to hold the 1 button in until seat and outside mirrors stop moving. Is this normal?

And thanks to great feedback about my last post regarding break-in oil change.
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    No, it is not enabled thru the MMI, but you have to have the mirror button pointed to the mirror you want to tilt...

As to the memory button, yes you have to hold it until it is finished moving (if you are sitting in the seat), otherwise, just push it once...
  • blairsblairs Member Posts: 1
    Looks like faulty signals are a common problem. They progressively worked less and less on my 2002 A6. I couldn't find any instructions in the owners manual on changing the relay. My questions are - where is the relay located and how do you get to it?
  • 4rnauto4rnauto Member Posts: 1
    Flasher unit is the problem. It is part of the 4 way flasher switch. The switch can only be purchased at the dealer, but it is reasonable. You can, if you are careful, take the existing switch apart and clean the small set of points inside with electrical cleaner. I have done this on many different vehicles, including my own A6,and it has worked fine.
    Sounds like a disaster to me. I've had much better luck with my 2001 2.7T and 6-speed. I had an intermittent date display around the first service interval and they replaced the display. Also under warranty an interlock that affected starting. I can appreciate how difficult that was to find and I was never stranded. Check engine light has come on twice - once because the gas cap was loose and once for a failed sensor. Only other problem was a cracked window railing - and that was during an exceptionally cold winter. I'm not too put out by that.

I have over 71K miles and take it in every 5K for oil. I agree with you 100% on the rationale for the recommended service interval. There was discussion on this board some time ago, and controversy too.

I'm not sure when I'll trade this in but it's likely I'll have it for at least another year bringing me to six years. As you say, it is a great road car and I like the 6-speed.
    Hawk - Not sure I agree with the other position on removing the breakdown oil too prematurely. I asked about it when I bought my 2001 and the service manager recommended the full service interval.

Why did he recommend "the full service interval"?

By "full interval" do you mean 5k or 10k miles?

How long ago did he tell you this?
    When the car was new - March 2001 - I asked about changing oil after the first 1000 miles. The service manager told me the breakdown oil was designed to operate until the first recommended oil change. I think it was 5,000 miles. After that the recommendation was every 10,000 miles. This was included in the free maintenance (subject of much debate on this board). I let the breakdown oil go until the first service and after that I took it in every 5,000. Half the oil changes were paid by Audi and half were out-of-pocket.

btw - I went over 72K today. Still changing oil at 5,000 miles at the dealer. I don't run short errands - full operating temperature, 6 - 10 miles depending on outside temperature. I like to merge on the highway at a pretty good clip but only if water and oil temp is up.
  • bluea6bluea6 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone experienced driver side window going up and down in park mode without touching any buttons?
  • bluea6bluea6 Member Posts: 2
    Got the same problem with my 2005 A6. Dealer could not fix it...went twice
  • danaldanal Member Posts: 1
    The lights all work but my 1998 A6 (Quattro) won't blink. The Dealer is giving me the run-around on what should be a simple 'plug in a new flasher unit' issue. Does anyone know where the flasher unit can be found in my car? Wiring diagrams are $69.95!
    I've observed this just a couple of times. Radio cuts out for just a second or two. Not sure if this is tied in anyway to the MMI system which requires you to ACCEPT the safety terms before you get your MMI screen back.

Anybody else?

(2005 A6 3.2 Premium pkg w/Bose)
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I've had that as well. I assumed it was the car and electronics all starting up. Just a second or two and then fine from then on...

BTW, I'm still getting frequent warnings to update my satellite when on XM. It seems to get less frequent the longer I stay on XM but at 1st happens every 1-2 minutes... very frustrating. When I first got the car, I spoke with my SA and they sait it was normal and that it was just "linking with XM". I don't buy that but can't find any other explanations either...
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Check with your dealer for the latest MMI updates.

-Paul
  • oceansurfoceansurf Member Posts: 1
    I bought an 1999 Audi A6 2.8. I had the car for about 3 months and I just recently started to lose engine power. I took it in today and I have to get 1800 dollars worth of repairs. Are the 2.8 lemons??? I hear the 2.8 quattro suck. Why?
  • kroedererkroederer Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 Audi A6 2.7T from a very trustworthy person. He said he got the computer test done and it had a bad air pump, so he got it replaced and checked it again, and it turned up with nothing wrong, but when I got it the check engine light was on. I took it to the dealer to get it checked, and they said it was a faulty air pump. I'm not the suavest person when it comes to vehicles, and I was wondering if this is common in the 2000 A6?
    One more question: It didn't come with any manuals, I asked the person the send them to me, and he said he would, but I haven't got them. A message on the car keeps showing up, and I really don't understand it. It's a circle with a square at the top, I'm not sure what that means. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    I drive the same 2000 A6 2.7T and repalcement of the mass air sensor turned the check engine light off. It is a sensor, not a pump. The circle in the dash sounds like the speed warning indicator, just press in the odometer stub and it should reset.

Make sure you change the oil w/ synthetic, I use Mobil 1 0w-40, it works well. Check all fluids weekly, including oil, brake, power steering, and coolant.You DO NOT want any of the fluid levels in this car to go below minimum levels, this could mean big repair bills. Check your tire pressures and also replace the air filter as well.
  • gregorylgregoryl Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem on my 1999 A6 Avant. Was blaming faulty bulbs, fuses, etc., until one day stopped at the local car dealer and had my mechanic to pull the whole blinker assembly out. Turned out that the unit has 3 electrodes and one of them was completely burned. I called Audi dealer and was told that I can stop by anytime and buy a new one for under $20.00 I was also told that this is a common problems on these cars. After I bought a new one, I came back and had it replaced. Never had this problem b-4.
    Good luck!
  • goga82goga82 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys, I have been reading the boards for a few hours...I bought a 99 a6 2.8 quattro yesterday at the manheim auction in PA....I had a real blast driving it home....its amazing....but it has some issues....and I am sure I should expect more 1. the drivers side window has trouble closing 2. the instrument cluster shows broken up charatcers, looks jumbled up 3.The stereo has no direct input for my ipod .....I would really appreciatte any knowledge or help you have on these subjects...and much more so any advice on the car and/or what problems I should expect...any help would be greatly appreciatted...thanks for your time...and is there some other site or club where audi owners gather....thank you for your time
  • jlouissjlouiss Member Posts: 1
    This is a strange problem. I have a 1996 Audi A6 Quattro and have owned it happily for 10 years. When using the keyless entry the horn no longer sounds to indicate the doors have locked. In addition, closing the trunk causes all the door to lock and the security system to activate. (Not fun if your keys are in the ignition!) Also, on the 96 audi, a small red triangle flashes on one of the fog light buttons when the security has been activiated. Strangely, that spot has a yellow triangle which is constantly lit, as if my fog lights are constantly turned on, which they're not. Also, if I push that button it also will lock all the doors and activate the security system!

I have to wonder if this is an indication of another problem like a dying battery. I believe the trunk lock in involved because this yellow indicator light will disappear when the trunk lock is moved into "Position C" which is when the key has the lock in the 2 o'clock position. Unfortunately, the lock cannot remain in this position. Does anyone have any idea what could cause all this? I'm very confused and I want to resolve this before I have a remote starter installed.
  • g_henrysg_henrys Member Posts: 4
    Regarding the seat position memory, if the door is open you just have to hit the button once. It is when the door is closed (running or not) that you have to hold the button down. The reason is for safety, if you are driving and accidently hit a button the seat will not move enough to be an issue.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    That doesn't make a whole lot of sense on Audi's part. Why not just lock the function out when the car is in gear? That's how it works on my car, and I never have to hold the button down. Just press it once and all my personal settings (seat, mirrors, radio presets, adaptive transmission <-(I believe)) load up.
  • allblacksr5allblacksr5 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1999 A6 quattro. The brake light warning came on because my left brake light was out. All other lights worked. I stopped and got a new bulb but the guy at the auto parts place gave me the single purpose bulb that replaces the turn signal and reverse bulb by accident. I put it in and the brake light seemed to work but the warning remained. It switched from the word BRAKE LIGHT to the symbol for light malfunction and back but would not go off. Even worse, it started beeping each time I took my foot off the brake!. I figured out the wrong bulb issue and got the correct bulb, put it in and all lights seem to work (the center mount brake light is on when the headlights are on but I think that is normal)but the warning and beeping continues. Any suggestions? Is there a way to reset the warnings? I love the drive, the looks and the feel off the car but I worry, because of what I have read here, that an apparently simple problem may grow to be a big one.
  • hellbenthellbent Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the oil w/ mobile1 5w-30 awhile back w/ a new filter, but ever since winter came around, the oil pressure light keeps beeping at me, could this be due to sludge buildup (im not sure what the owner before me did with the oil and stuff)...what should i do about this warning?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    what kind of filter do you put in? Audis HATE off-brand oil filters. If it wasn't a German filter, you might switch a new filter in and see what happens.

Sludge is always a possibility. You need to dig into this problem ASAP and see what's what.