Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• hellbenthellbent Member Posts: 2
    Yea, it was an off brand filter...ill change that asap and hopefully that will fix it...thx for the reply
  • legendmanlegendman Member Posts: 362
    Mr. Shiftright is RIGHT about the oil filters. Stick with AUDI brand only.

The oil you should be using must adhere to stringent new oil standards for VW/Audi. Older model Audis were experiencing sludge and engine damage from extended drain intervals with inferior oils. That led to a new oil standard for Audi's.

For the A6, the NEW standard is called: VW 502.00. I don't think that 5W30 weight is the proper weight oil for this car. More importantly, you need special long endurance synthetic oils. The only approved Mobil 1 oil that I know of is their European formula 0W40 grade.

You can go to Audi's website and download a PDF file which lists the approved oils. Check out the new, custom made for Audi, ELF brand ("Motul", in Europe) "Excellium LDX" 5W40. It's specially made for extended drain intervals (though I personally recommend 5K oil changes regardless). This new oil is now (or soon will be) available at some Audi dealers. That's the correct grade for the A6, btw -- 5W40.(Certain other grades can be substituted, but they must be listed on the VW 502.00 approved oils list)

Also, don't forget that the newer A6 (3.2) takes almost 9 quarts of oil. Some auto service places don't know this, or about the VW 502.00 oil requirement!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Audis are extremely sensitive to oil filters and oils. I have actually seen with my own eyes a newer Audi TOWED to a friend's indy repair shop with the engine barely able to run....they switch out the oil filter,put in a proper weight of oil, and did nothing else whatsover, and the car ran perfectly. The hydraulic lifters could not operate with the off-brand filter. Amazing but true....
  • nicotranicotra Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am familiar with the problems you are having. I have a 2000 a6 that had display console issues as well (problem 2). i bought the a6 certified with a 100k wrranyt (I've got 48k on it now) so they replaced the entire console. Cost on invoice said ~$800 for the hardware. I've also looked for replacement head units to no avail. However, I did discover that Audi dealerships will install a 2005 radio if you don't mind the cost of the customization. As far as aftermarket head units go, let me know if you find anything! Good luck!
  • bekbek Member Posts: 8
    The blinkers on my 99 A6 come on and stay on instead of blinking. All bulbs are fine. Flashers work fine. Indicators in dash come on and stay on too. Any ideas?
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    You probably have a turn signal switch module failure. Had same problem on my A6, about $500.00 to repair through the dealer.
  • gwestboundgwestbound Member Posts: 22
    Did you get your new car?

After having a tremendous amount of difficulty with a new Dodge, the Chrysler Zone Representative was to confirm the new car pickup date. When several days passed with no news I called him. He claimed he had never heard of me and didn't know what I was taking about, in his very distinctive accent. I couldn't get him on the telephone again. My letters were ignored by all levels. I traded in the car as quickly as possible. Needless to say it will be a long time before I look at another Chrysler, like never.
  • michael44michael44 Member Posts: 1
    I just found a nice 01 a6 quattro with 85000 mi. Asking price is $5,999.The car looks nice but the price seems to be about half of book value according to my bank.Any advice for me.
  • halofanhalofan Member Posts: 37
    I am 4 weeks into a 12 week build period for my car and am driving my Audi (airbag light and all) while the other car is being built. I'll keep you folks posted. Everything seems to be on schedule...On the contrary, Audi has been very attentive to me.

Halo
  • bishop0802bishop0802 Member Posts: 5
    Just had a nightmare service with my 2002 2.7 A6. Took it in for a problem with the A/C and they found some bad sensor on the exhaust manifold. Thank goodness for extended warranties, repairs cost over 5K! I got the car home and I can't get the key out of the ignition. Anyone have any tips on how to get it out? I've tried everything, shifting in and out of drive, locking, unlocking, everything but honking the horn. Any assistance is appreciated. :sick:
  • moore06moore06 Member Posts: 1
    I don't know what model you have, but my 2000 2.7T burns oil also. I changed the oil and filter about 1,500 miles ago,with castrol syntec 5w-30. I checked the level on Sunday, and it was 2 quarts too low. I do have a very minor oil leak, but WTF! 2 quarts...
  • trunztrunz Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2002 A6. i got an oil signal and the car stalled immediately. I had it flatbedded to a good service person i am getting good oil pressure at the oil pump but none on the top end. He said he thinks I have major engine damage & suggested I have it taken to Audi dealer. It has 72K miles and has had good service. Any "silent reacalls" due to oil not getting to the top end??
    Don't buy it! Do not own any audi with over 60k miles. I bought one new and the motor just blew @ 72k. I maintained it well. Get a [non-permissible content removed] car.
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Do you have an extended service plan on this car? Was the oil level up to the proper level on the dipstick when the oil light came on?
    Did you just change the oil filter?
    No extended warranty. Oil was cahnged every 7k and only 10 days b4 engine failure
    Yes with every oil change!
    No I mean did you just change the oil filter prior to this incident.

If you did, and it wasn't an Audi filter, that could be your problem. Audis do NOT like other people's oil filters.
  • rwolffrwolff Member Posts: 19
    I've found a 2000 A6 4.2 with 106,000 miles in mint condition priced at 12,500. The car seems to be a creampuff but I am of course concerned about the miles, having been an Audi owner the last eight years and knowing the problems that can occur. However, this car has been maintained very well and seems great. Any opinions on the pricing and reliablity of this model?
    The price is market correct, no bargain, no rip-off.

With those miles probably the best you can do is have the car thoroughly checked over and a list made of any deficient items...I mean have an Audi shop really dig into that car, test everything, pull the wheels, check for leaks, bad hoses, worn belts, weak shocks, unusual tire wear, possible collision damage, water leaks, etc. etc.

My guess is that a well-kept car like that has lots of life left but that you will be bedeviled by electrical issues from time to time.
    Thanks will have the car thoroughly checked out.
    How about a choice between the 2000 Audi A6 4.2 with 106,000 and a 1998 BMW 528i with 98,000 miles, price comparable at 12,500?
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    the 528 isn't in the same league as the 4.2. No question in my mind, go for the Audi, not to mention, newer model year...
  • dianawvdianawv Member Posts: 1
    Okay, after looking though this message board I feel like I am peering into the ninth gate of hell when I gaze at my red lit Audi dashboard and that it is laughing demonically at me thinking about how much money I will lose as it's new owner. I was weak- I mean my other car is a 1999 ford 250 diesel.(we have a farm) So driving the audi was beyond amazing. So I am the new owner of a used 1999 a6 Avant wagon, 74,000 miles seemingly good shape and runs well so far - except it does need new front brakes and tires- I did know this at purchase (Pd $9,200) Tires are worn evenly on all wheels. My question is what tires would you recommend for all season usage (Wv) And as long as we bought the service manuals, is there anything overly odd about changing the brake pads yourself? My husband has always done our american made cars and trucks with no ill results- but after reading these posts thought I better ask ! - Diana
    The '98 BMW 528i would be quite overpriced at $12,5K. More like $10K would be generous for a really nice one.
    I think you're right about that...price for the BMW is about 3,000 more than I would want to spend on it versus the Audi. Having had two A4's the past eight years, one very good the other not so good, I still prefer the Audi for comfort, etc. Reading all these posts about problems, etc with Audi doesn't help but still feel the Audi is the better car in this case.
    I appreciate your comments. What is your opinion of the Lexus ES300 years 98 to 02 in comparision to an Audi? I know they are probably more reliable but what about handling, ride, etc.?
    If you're looking for reliability, then pick Lexus, hands down. If you want a fun ride, but understand there will be some repairs down the road, then go for the Audi...
    kinda depends on the Audi...most Audis aren't very exciting either unless it's the turbo models. Definitely Lexus on reliability for those years; however, some Lexus models apparently exhibit erratic automatic transmission behavior, so I'd test drive a used one for a long long time before making a purchase. I like Audi styling better though. Lexi are rather bland by my taste. Repair costs on an out of warranty car also suggest leaning toward Lexus.
  • myodamyoda Member Posts: 1
    Hi Diana:

I have a 1999 A6 Avant with just over 90,000 miles on it. Be prepared for the 90K service..Have had Goodyear Assurance TripleTred tires on the car for about a year. Smooth ride, excellent grip and wet/dry handling. They also give the car an aggressive look – cool tread pattern, looks more expensive then they really are. Check the tire rack for user reviews. I'd suggest having brakes done at a dealer - have to be careful when installing the brake sensors. Good luck! Watch your speed...

M
  • lcavadalcavada Member Posts: 2
    In my 2005 A6 Quattro, AIR BAG light turned on about 10 days ago. Immediately brought car back to dealer. They kept it for 4 days. Drove away from dealer LESS than 1 mile, and light turned on again.
    Brought it back to the dealer. Now they identified rear right seat belt is defective. They informed me I had to leave car at dealer since it was a safety issue. I refused and had to sign a release in order to leave in my car.

They ordered a new seatbelt, several days later with no seatbelt yet.
  • lcavadalcavada Member Posts: 2
    My 2005 A6 Quattro recently failed to start. At the dealer they upgraded the firmware for the entire system in order to fix the issue.

Since then....

My BT voice quality is very poor. Prior to that, I tried many different BT phones and they all worked flawlessly. All of them did not exhibit full seettings (antenna strength, phonebook, etc.) but did have really good voice quality over the BT link. These phones have always paired with the MMI system without any issues.

Since the update the call quality is so poor, I quite often turn of the phone's BT because I cannot communicate. The same phones, no new ones.

Taking the car back to the dealer they cannot find anything wrong.

Any Ideas ?
  • hawk248hawk248 Member Posts: 27
    Today I noticed the Air Bag light stays lit. Called the dealer I bought the car from and he wined about not having a loaner car handy and asked to bring the car in tomorrow. Called another Audi+Porsche dealer whose service shop stays open till 12:00 am Mon - Fri. The manager asked me to bring the car in and that there is service bulletin that says to upgrade the "software".

Took the car in, and they fixed in about an hour. They also adjusted the rear doors so that they close without any force.

I've read in this forum about Air Bag light issues plaguing 2005 and 2006 A6, primarily caused by rear seats belt tensioners. The only thing we have in the near seat in a child seat base that is anchored using the hooks (which are a pain in the rear to get to), as well as the passenger belt on the right hand side.

Just wondering if the other owners have come across this so called Audi service bulletin regarding Air Bag light for 2005 and 2006 A6's?
  • photobugphotobug Member Posts: 1
    Unless your husband is very familiar with german engineering, he may not want to tackle the brakes. The abs and traction control systems are linked to the brakes, so it not a real simple task. About tires, I switched my 2002 A6 tires from Michelins to BF Goodrich. The BF's had a better traction & wear ratings than the Michelins, according to one of the car magazines. I have been happy with them both on dry pavement, and in snowy weather. Just rememner you must use a four wheel alignment, & align as recommended by Audi, or you will get significant tire wear. Hopes this helps.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Brakes are brakes. Take the calipers off, take out the old pads, put in the new pads, put the calipers back on (and some other miscellaneous tasks). It is a simple task, and your husband will be just fine working on the brakes of your car. He won't be disconnecting anything that affects the sensors for the ABS or traction control, and even those parts are simple screw-off/screw-on items.

People are put-off from working on cars with sophisticated electronics because the whole is greater than the actual sum of its parts. The individual pieces that make up the system are simple and usually straight forward (and expensive).
  • timbo6timbo6 Member Posts: 1
    I have an Audi A6 2.4 automatic for the past 6 months no problem.All of a sudden the oil light,brake light and ABS light all start flashing then stop but now it is happening more regulary.I have had i checked and there seems to be no problem(it took three atempts to read the comtuper).Also the P,R,D,N,1,2,3 seems to all light up when this happens and the car seems to get stuck in one gear.It's quite annoying when i'm in the car but a bit scary when i have my 8 month old son in the back.I thought Audi were a good make.Can anyone shed a little light on this.Thanks safe driving Tim.
  • joshuarschultzjoshuarschultz Member Posts: 1
    My key is stuck too...
    ever figure out how to get yours out?

thanks,
    Josh
  • arniet1arniet1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Audi A-6 with cooling fluid leak. Dealer pressure tested radiator system, found no leaks and filled coolant to top in overflow tank. After driving additional 6k miles(total is 65K on auto)fluid is down about 4 inches in overflow tank but no visible sign of leaks. Is it going into motor? Anyone with experience on this? What is repair on this?
  • g_henrysg_henrys Member Posts: 4
    The check engine light (MIL) on my 2001 A6 4.2 has just turned on. I have a scanner and the codes are P0130 and P0150 which translate to oxygen sensor malfunction, pre cat. I contacted my local shop and they said it is unlikely for both sensors to be out at the same time and that it may be an indication of a bigger problem, especially since I am only at 50K miles (yes my gas cap is on correctly). Here's the rub, if I run the gas down to less than 1/8 a tank and then fill it, the MIL goes out after the forth time I start the engine. It then comes back on a day or two later. Anyone have a similar situation or any ideas what to check for?
    The cooling system should be pressure tested and the spark plugs removed and the plugs and combustion chambers inspected for coolant deposits. You might have a bad head gasket. Repair would be removing head, re-surfacing the head and replacing the head gasket.
  • hotlanta1hotlanta1 Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a 2000 Audi A6, 4.2L with 63,000 miles. Car is in beautiful shape....or so I thought. Very happy with car initially, but in less than 5 weeks of ownership I had a bad experience...apparently with the transmission. I was driving about 70 mph on highway when I heard and felt a loud "thump" that seemed to slow the car down. Within 8-10 seconds, a horrible sound followed, resembling throwing a set of tools into a shredder. Not one engine light or warning. Immediately pulled over (luckily) to the side of the road and it was smoking from under the car and black fluid was streaming onto the pavement. The car broker (and Audi enthusiast) who sold me the car has since told me that it was a bolt that went loose inside the transmission and ruined it. Understandably, I'm perplexed and very disappointed. I have owned Infiniti Q45, BMW 535i and Lexus without any problems at all...all with more mileage than this one. Is this "to be expected" with an Audi?
    There have been transmission issues with this model but I don't recall anything quite so drastic as that.
  • ccusickccusick Member Posts: 5
    I recently purchased a 2006 Audi A6. Since I purchased it I have had a problem with the car bogging down at slow speeds or when stuck in rush hour conditions. Sometimes I will hit the accelerator and nothing happens briefly also when pulling into traffic which can be dangerous. As I stated this problem is intermittent and I have had it to the dealer several times including as we speak and they can't duplicate the problem. Help!
    This is not uncommon. Search "drive by wire" and "tip lag" here and on Audi forums for loads of info. Unfortunately, I don't have time to type all the details...
    I have gained a good bit of knowledge from your prompt and will be visiting with the service department tomorrow when I pick up my car and share some of my newly gained knowledge thanks to you. Having said that it appears I am not the first or will be the last to share their thoughts ... darn it I really love the car besides this issue.

Regards!
    Yeah, it is frustrating. You will learn how to drive it...such as avoiding starting immediately after stopping, to avoid lurching forward. The best way to avoid this is to drive in "sport" mode, which by the way, is the most fun mode IMO! I drive in "S" 75% of the time (uses more gas, but is a lot more peppy and fun).

Best wishes.
  • manginijmmanginijm Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem. (2001 2.7T A6) I took the car to the dealership and they wanted $1400 to replace the two sensors. I of course drove away, hence the reason I'm fishing around the web looking for a solution.
    After I got your last posting I went and picked up my car the next morning. I was driving a Passat for three days while they searched for a problem that they would never admit exsisted. The shop foreman put a note on my receipt suggesting that I drive in sport mode as you suggested and it does indeed perform better. You really helped me to fall back in love with my A 6 and I thank you for that.... it trully is a very nice automobile.

Happy Motoring!
    Put some Chevron high test in the tank and see if that helps also driving in S or Sport mode has really made a big difference. BTW they (AUDI) will not replace sensors on my car even though it is under warranty and they consider that a cusotmer pay option. Never use Amoco or BP gas don't know why but my car runs better without it.
  • jaydolljaydoll Member Posts: 120
    HI,

My lease on the my mid life fun car(04 G35 coupe/6speed) ends in two months. Replacements I have been looking at are as follows:

03 BMW 530/5speed/sport/prem/cold weather cost of $29,500 with CPO warranty.

03 A6 2.7T 6 speed/prem/sport bucktet seats/luxury in Alpacka beige. Cost approx $27,500

I was shocked at how much more comfortable and peppy the A 6 was to drive than the BMW.

Now here is the big question- the A6 has 27K and is warranted until feb 09 via certified.

I know everything on the 2.7 T cars costs more. Have you owners of the 2002-2204 model year 2.7Ts has lots of problems?

I understand that forums are the place to grip about problems and not usually full of driver compliments. So, all of you A6/2.7 T owners, especially ones with the 6 speed, would you do it again?

And lastly, what can I expect in the future for problems/repairs.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Ja