Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• imaginosimaginos Member Posts: 27
    Sounds like the Eaton Locker to me - which would be normal. Also, could be backlash in the rear end. Mine does it, my Cherokee did it (until my wife piled it up yesterday :(

Unless it is quite extreme, I'd say it's normal - and no, I don't work at a dealer!!!
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    TSB for a new nickel plated slip yoke
  • donjbakerdonjbaker Member Posts: 27
    Depends who I talk to at the dealer, the story seems to change, but they will reimburse me the $210 for the tow - just need the original receipt. They ordered an new transmission. I don't know why the delay, but they expect it to be done early next week - towed in Sunday nite, starting looking at it late Tuesday afternoon and found the problem and Thursday.

I was even told that they would deliver the truck the 200 miles and pick up their rental.

Still don't know what the problem was w/ the trans and will have to wait to see if they hold up their bargain. At least my father can advertise the wonderful service that I didn't receive at Yemm Chevrolet in Galesburg.

If not... I will have to contact the BBB, Attorney General, maybe a file a claim in small claims court....

I did talk to the Service Manager from the dealer I purchased from and he could believe the crap that was going on. He did contact his regional manager to see if he could assist me. Can't complain about that service, especially since he's too far to get my service business (Chicago to Neenah Wi.

Why driving to Neenah WI is to have the service done doesn't make sense. If I buy a GM for my wive, I would have no problem driving from Chicago to purchase from that dealer (Bergstrom's - nice people to do business with).

Also, still waiting for that return phone call from Chevy Customer (non) assistance - she was going to follow up Wednesday and that is even after two messages that was left to remind her.
  • msb19981998msb19981998 Member Posts: 15
    Guys,

Just traded in my 99 Rado Z-71, 5.3 for an '02 Rad Z-71, 5.3. Got everything I wanted too... locker, autotrac, power seats... a lot of nice goodies.

Two problems. The truck came with factory "rough finish" black flares. I backed up next to the wifes tahoe and pulled the right rear fender flare half way off. DAMN! Does anyone know the partnumber of this so I can look it up? Also, any good tips on where to replace it? The dealer said $238 for ONE replacement and I said forget it, I will pull the others off if that is the best it can be.

Another question I had is does anyone have the part number to the tan color fold out cup assembly? I got the number of the graphite one, but I have a tan truck and need that number. I really like the cupholder from my 99 and would like to put one in my 2002.

If anyone can help me, please email to msb19981998@yahoo.com

Thanks guys,

Matthew

PS - my 99 had 55K on it, went through many states, hauled a lot of loads, played in the mud, pulled others out, and still was a dang nice, "near new" truck when it went to the dealer. That was a good 'un and I will remember it fondley...
  • arttartt Member Posts: 14
    sloppy manufacturing.

Info - Driveline Clunk #99-04-20-002A
    Driveline Clunk 2002 and Prior Light Duty Truck Models.
    This bulletin is being revised to add model Years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-20-002 (Section 04 -- Driveline/Axle).
    Important
    The condition described in this bulletin should not be confused with Driveline Stop Clunk, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 964101R (Chevrolet 92-265-7A, GMC Truck 91-4A-77, Oldsmobile 47-71-20A, GM of Canada 93-4A-100) or Bump/Clunk Upon Acceleration, described in Corporate Bulletin Number 99-04-21-004.
    Some owners of light duty trucks equipped with automatic transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise when shifting between Park and Drive, Park and Reverse, or Drive and Reverse.
    Similarly, owners of vehicles equipped with automatic or manual transmissions may comment that the vehicle exhibits a clunk noise while driving when the accelerator is quickly depressed and then released.
    Whenever there are two or more gears interacting with one another, there must be a certain amount of clearance between those gears in order for the gears to operate properly. This clearance or freeplay (also known as lash) can translate into a clunk noise whenever the gear is loaded and unloaded quickly, or whenever the direction of rotation is reversed. The more gears you have in a system, the more freeplay the total system will have.
    The clunk noise that owners sometimes hear may be the result of a buildup of freeplay (lash) between the components in the driveline.
    For example, the potential for a driveline clunk would be greater in a 4-wheel drive or all-wheel drive vehicle than a 2-wheel drive vehicle. This is because in addition to the freeplay from the rear axle gears, the universal joints, and the transmission (common to both vehicles), the 4-wheel drive transfer case gears (and their associated clearances) add additional freeplay to the driveline.
    In service, dealers are discouraged from attempting to repair driveline clunk conditions for the following reasons:
    Comments of driveline clunk are almost never the result of one individual component with
    excessive lash, but rather the result of the added affect of freeplay (or lash) present in all of the driveline components. Because all of the components in the driveline have a certain amount of lash by design, changing driveline components may not result in a satisfactory lash reduction.
    While some owners may find the clunk noise objectionable, this will not adversely affect
    durability or performance.
    © Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
  • titanium10ktitanium10k Member Posts: 10
    msb just go to the dealership and tell them you need the cupholder in tan.....you have to order for a 2001 though
  • mbwhitleymbwhitley Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2002 2500 HD 4WD, 6.0 Crew Cab with about 11 months and 9k miles on the odometer. I have a few minor annoyances, and I'd like to know if others have had them, too.

1) The seatbelts lock routinely on normal stops. I come to a lot of 2-ways here in Texas. When I try to lean forward for a better view of the traffic, I get held up by the seatbelt. I have to come to a complete stop and let the truck settle for a bit before the belt will release me. Sometimes I still need to shake it loose. Sometimes it even locks while I pull it out to buckle. It seems to me the belt is a little too easy to lock. Is this either common or adjustable?

2) The "check coolant level" message comes on occasionally shortly after starting. It stays until the truck has been shut off. The first time my dealer told me that a bubble sometimes forms on the sensor, and I should ignore it unless I see the engine temp rise. It happens about every 2 or 3 months.

3) The HVAC fan blows no air on setting 1. I get airflow through the system when the truck moves (which is the difference between off and 1) but when I stop, the airflow noticeable ceases too. Is this by design, or is it a fan problem?

I know these problems are minor compared to tranny failure or piston slap, but I'd like to know if they are typical or correctable. This is the best place I know of to get a straight answer.
  • dmaxwellhdmaxwellh Member Posts: 11
    GM has increased the rebate on Silverado from $2500 to $3000. Unfortunately, those of us that purchased our trucks last week cannot take advantage of this increase. I have contacted GM regarding this, and "customer service" is unwilling to return to me $500 (even in the form of GM card points). They simply sent me a "form letter", TWICE. Other retailers (Circuit City, for example) are willing to honor a sale price retroactive for 30 days. GM should have anticipated the ire it has created in those faithful customers that purchased new vehicles over the last couple of weeks. Simply stated, this is bad business.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    is nothing new. While most companies strive for excellence in customer service, those trying to get any kind of service from GM is SOL, IMHO.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    1. Quite common. Happens to my wife in both of our trucks. Seldom happens to me. No obvious reason why it affects her more, but it does. And it affects you too. No know cure. We even had the seat belts changed in our 99 due to a recall. Still the same.

2. The only time I've had the 'Check Coolant Level' light come on, was when I parked on the shoulder of the road with the passenger side lower than the driver's side. I added about 1" of water to the reservoir, and no more warnings.

3. Mine blows gently on setting 1. I get much more air when the truck is moving than by the blower.

Mike L
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    condition for several years bow. I know my '99 (New body style) was that way and I think even my '96 was.
  • 99900ss99900ss Member Posts: 4
    I've had my truck since new. I've done all scheduled service and changed the full synthetic every 3500 miles or so and always used super unleaded (which I now know wasn't the best thing to do).
    I have the following problems with my truck.
    1) Hard idle. (Almost since new. Dealer says it's normal)
    2) If I pork the engine I don't get the power that I should and I get a loud knocking noise. (same gas. Problem just started in the last month)
    3) Service 4wd light came on this week. The light doesn't stay on consistently and the dealer says they can't do anything if the light isn't on and they can't duplicate the problem.
    4) The transmission can't figure out what to do when I'm keeping a constant speed between 30 and 50 mph. The whole truck stutters as the transmission seems to keep changing gears.
    5) Rust under the door where the truck was hit in an accident. The body work was done by the dealer, but they won't admit that it's their faulty work. "It's from newer damage."

I love my truck, but I'm loosing faith in it. Can't figure out if I should spend a butt load of cash on getting it where it needs to be or take advantage of my dealers add of $1k under invoice + the $3k cash back. I hate to pay the $1300 in excise tax for something new + increased insurance, but I'll probably pay that to get mine fixed. But if I buy a new one it'll be an upgrade to the 2500 and the crew cab. Do I sound like I'm waffling? I guess I am.
    I'm looking for some feedback on the problems I'm having and whether or not there's been a dramatic change to the 02' model. I don't want the 03' because the 99' was a new model year and I had a bunch of things go wrong just because they hadn't dialed in their program.
    Isn't that on backwards?
    nope

One gallon at PP.com for $43.95

Before 303

After 303
  • am70043am70043 Member Posts: 22
    LOOKING AT REPLACING THE FACTORY SHOCKS ON MY 02 1500 RADO 2WD EXT. CAB. WHAT WOULD MY CHEVY BROTHERS SUGGEST, BILSTEIN OR EDELBROCK.
    I've had both on my truck and it comes down to a personal preference. The Bilsteins are cheaper and the Edelbrocks are stiffer.
  • am70043am70043 Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the input on the shocks. What size Michelin's are you riding on, I've got the Goodyear Wrangler ST P235/75R16 on my truck. -----------AL
    Ryan:

Like the console door cover, but.....

I have the console as well, and the buckets with the armrests. However, what bugs me is that if you use the chair armrest for your right arm, and then put your left arm on the door armrest, you don't sit symmetrically. Your right arm will be closer to your side than your left. I feel all crooked..........

What I want to do is find a cushion that will go where your little decal goes, such that it makes a big padded armrest that will be the same height as the chair armrests, then I can spread out my right arm and get some cooling under there!!! Have you ever seen anything like that?? I may have an upholstery shop make one to my own design if I can't find one.

BTW - how does that fancy decal stick on to that textured console door???
    Blends right in with the rest of the interior. After being exposed to the heat buildup in the interior, it slowly but surely becomes "unglued".

am70043

I have Michelin LTX/MS 275/70R16.
    added to the mods today

Rear husky liners :)

What would you charge me to clean my back window?????
    haha. Funny you mention that. Thursday was the first time all summer my back window seen soap. WIth the bed cover i just reach over and wipe it with a towel. Also it was the first time in like 6 months that i washed my roof (it is nasty). It also got some wax applied.
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    For my winter travels I will be replacing my '01 1500 LT Ext Cab with a 2500HD 2WD Ext Cab LT, 8100 gasser with Allison, 3.73 locking rear, etc. Need this to pull a 5th wheel camper (7000#) and fishing boat (about 2000#). Anyone out there pulling with the 8100/Allison/3.73 combo, and what kinda mileage are you getting?

Hans
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Great picture of that one piece floor mat. I have one of those too and it works well. However looking at that picture, could you elaborate what the heck happend to the upolstery of at front seat. It looks like someone stapled the back of it on.
    Its not 1 piece it is 2

As for the upholstry i have seat covers and they are velcroed in the back. Nothing is wrong with the seats
  • canayjun64canayjun64 Member Posts: 34
    This Monday Sep. 9th, I had my 2000 Silverado serviced for the recent air bag recall. I just bought this truck a month ago and I'm trying to get to know it slowly but sure. Since the air bag adjustment, I now get the indicator light saying to change my motor oil. It turns on when I start it and it will appear on occasion when I drive but it doesn't stay on all the time. This truck had an oil change when I bought it and the oil looks clear when I checked it. Does anyone know why this would do this or is it normal? Thanks in advance.... Canayjun
    Sounds like they didnt reset the oil change monitor.

Turn the key to run (dont start). Press the gas 3 times (just hit the gas pedal a bunch of times then stop). Light should flash then it is reset
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Have you read your manual on how to reset the oil change light, the owners manual has A LOT of useful information about YOUR truck.
    I always make it a point to get to know my truck too, but I start by reading the owners manual, that way when the message center activates I'm ahead of the game usually.
    Ryan may be right on the indicator reset, but you didn't mention if oil was changed at this service visit. If you only had truck for a month how many miles do you have on it? Some owners change oil in first 500 miles when new some follow manufacturers recommendations which go as high as 7500 miles between oil changes (5000 mi. is my figure) dependent on your driving conditions/use of vehicle. Check back with your dealer service dept. and ask why light has come on so soon and indicate your mileage, it could be a faulty circuit too!

Ray T.
  • canayjun64canayjun64 Member Posts: 34
    Wow! You guys are good! Thank you so much for the help. Actually, I didn't get the oil changed at my last visit and I didn't exceed 200km (that's 120 miles) of driving since I got it. Perhaps they (dealer) must've goofed around with some configurations. I'll try Ryan's advice ... not that yours isn't good rayt2. Oh! By the way ... I did read my manual but the dang thing is in French. It's a bit more complicated with the French terminology eh!…. Again, Thank you both. Canayjun64
    P.S. My sincere condolences to the families of Sept. 11
  • 4x4man4x4man Member Posts: 222
    Hans,

I have a 2001 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 with 8.1L and Allison with 4.10's towing approx. 10,000lb 5er. We just bought the rig last month. Mileage has been less than expected with worst mileage at 6 mpg towing up to Gunnison, CO and best mileage of 7.1 mpg towing up outside of Golden, CO. The power is there, no doubt, but not sure of GM's claims of 10% better mileage over the 454, maybe they meant unloaded highway mileage??? Oh well, with the depreciation hit of trading now, coupled with the extra $4-5k for the diesel, it just doesn't make sense for us to trade just to get an extra couple of mpg's right now. Transfer flow makes a 45 gal tank for the extended cab short beds for $800, at least that would give me more range and help me forget about the horrible gas mileage. :D

Here is a link to my setup:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=1026888&uid=640222

• mbwhitleymbwhitley Member Posts: 32
    yes, but then you have to fill a 45 gallon tank! Ouch!

Mike
    Good point, but I figure, at the end of the day I will still have the same gas bill as with the small stock 26 gallon tank, except I was able to eliminate 50% of my fuel stops!!
    However 45 gallons at $1.46 still takes the breath away when I think about it...$58.40 gas bill..
    Now all I have to do is talk the wife into it!! :D

Bob
  • ahlgren1ahlgren1 Member Posts: 2
    Last week I put a set of Rancho RSX shocks on my 2000 Silverado 1500 SB 4x4. The old shocks had 67,000 on them. Everything was fine for a few days, but then some major underbody squeeks developed which sound like they are coming from the springs in the rear. Is there some way to fix this, or did I screw something up by putting on this type of shock?
    It's possible it is the shocks that are squeaking. Or maybe one of the shocks has moved to the side of the rubber bushing and the metal body is rubbing on the mounts. A quick check would be to disconnect the rear shocks and drive around the block to see if the noise is gone.

You might also check if the mounting bolts are tight, and if something else is rubbing on the shock body.

Mike L
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    4x4Man,

Thanks for the info. I presume from your 'handle' that you have 4WD, and I notice you have 4.10 rear.

I'm contemplating 2WD and 3.73 rear which hopefully will give me a little better mileage.

How does your rig handle grades (both up and down)?

Hans
    Sorry for the late reply.

Yes my truck is 4x4 and it has the 4.10 gears.

The truck handles grades very well. I climbed Monarch Pass a 6% grade that is rather twisty at 45mph (which is the speed limit) in 3rd gear at about 3,200rpm floored. That is the only thing that has slowed me up yet (besides gas stations!!).
    The 4.10's sure do give it some off the line grunt, but without having another truck with 3.73's I cannot tell you what the difference would be in acceleration between the two.

The truck is very powerful, but thirsty. I had started to look at diesels, but after looking at the $14,000 depreciation hit from MSRP (good thing I didn't pay MSRP), I cannot justify trading in a truck with absolutely no problems, outside of the cold knock, just to get an extra couple of mpg's. I argued with a Chevy sales person after he gave me the trade in price of my truck as he told me that Chevy's hold their value very well (and he was serious). The truck has been to the dealer once, and that was for a new belt under warranty.

Bob
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Post 235 - Nice setup and I liked your slide show.
    Post 241 - Where is Monarch Pass?

I have a 4x4 8.1/allison 3.73 rearend extended cab long bed and am very happy with it. Haven't pulled anything to speak of, so don't have much to contribute to Black Silvers question. I really haven't had it heavily loaded (less than 8000 gross), but it certainly don't slowdown on any of the Montana, Idaho, or Washington passes with that weight. Gas mileage is 10 when using it locally, and 13 to 14 one the road - mostly 13.5. I love it. Big difference compared to the 8mpg I get in my F250 with a 351.
    cowboyjohn
    Thanks for the compliments on our setup!!

Monarch pass is on Highway 50, west of Salida, Colorado. The front side of the pass is very steep, but the back side (west side) is even steeper, the speed limit is only 35 which I was just able to do and is also very twisty, so you loose momentum slowing down for the sharp curves.
    Very beautiful up there, though!!

Bob
  • hopster1hopster1 Member Posts: 14
    I have been considering purchasing a 2002 Silverado Ext Cab 1500 pickup for quite some time. I have always thought that GM makes the best truck, mechanically, and figured that the old boys in Detroit just need to hire a creative artist so they can now make a good looking truck. Looking at the 2003 model they must still be interviewing for the position as it looks like they just stole from the Avalanche. This shows lack of creativity at the very least. But now, after hearing of engine knocks, and PVC valve replacements and Slip yoke problems and steering wheel issues and worse, GM dealerships and their "That's the way the truck is" attitudes, I've decided to steer clear of buying the truck. Too many concerns regarding workmanship and the company standing behind their product. I've owned Honda's for the last 15 years and their build quality and service is something I've become used to. But alas, they don't make trucks and after reading this site I don't kknow if I want to deal with the possibility of getting stuck with a lemon. Can anyone tell me if they feel like the Chevy Silverado 1500 ext cab is a good and dependable auto purchase?
  • dch0300dch0300 Member Posts: 472
    My 2001 Silverado LS, 1500, Z-71, 5.3L, loaded, etc. has been a good dependable truck. After 21 months and 16,000 miles it has never been in the shop, because I've had no recalls or problems that needed to be fixed. I do have an occasional creaking of the extra cab doors when the cab is flexing from driving on uneven terrain, and I do have the occasional 15 sec cold start ticking in the engine. But other than those things I'm 99.9% happy and satisfied with the truck. And from my personal experience, I wouldn't think twice about buying this truck all over again, I'd do it in a second.
    -David
    30,500 and cant be happier

2000 ext cab Z71 5.3 3.73
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    new Monarch Pass road?
    -- Don
  • allchevyallchevy Member Posts: 28
    Quality is not the current focus for GM.
    We have multiple issues and get blown off regularly by the Corporation and it's dealers on our 2001 crew cab.
    You pay the money...you take your chances.
    Don,

hehehehehe, That would be the new Monarch Pass road. One of these times we plan to make a trip up there just to go over the old dirt road Monarch pass, just to say we did it and see what it is like. Have heard it is passible with a full size, any experience???

Bob
    I've got 60K+ on my two Silverado's (most of these miles are with a 2000# load), and my dad has 50K+ on the two Silverado's(half the miles towing a 6000# trailer) he's had. All reasonably troublefree miles. The only issues have been minor and the dealers have fixed them immediately.

A good dealer may be more important than the exact truck you buy.

Mike L
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Last time I was over old Monarch Pass was about 10 years ago. At the time I was driving a seriously built S-10 Blazer. But, unless something's changed dramatically, a stock full-size anything shouldn't have any problem. Nice picnic spot.
    -- Don
This discussion has been closed.