Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado

PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
This is the place for discussion of all things Silverado!

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The war is OVER guys...

Time to get on with life.

Just a reminder that our Town Hall chat happens on Wednesday (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern).

This week the topic is Social Issues and the Automotive Perspective

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/newsviews.html

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ?
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Did you order your tonneau cover yet?

Anyone with a "soft" tonneau uses that 303 protectant on it? I'm interested to know the results after a rain as it seems the protectant vanishes with the rain leaving vertical streaks on the quarter panels and tailgate as it departs the truck. Oh what a feeling....
    have had it on for over a month now obyone

havent 303ed it yet
  • jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    I use 303 and have noticed the streaks too. However I find if I apply a very light coat and wipe it off the streaks are not as bad. A slight streak on the paint maybe worth the UV protection for the cover.

I also have been using paint protection products from zaino bros. This familiar name offers quite the shine and may also contribute, in my case, to less streaks from 303.

Yup this forum is real quiet... Since the topic is Silverado I am just waiting for the Toyota boys to chime in with their comments.
    I'm wondering about its application. What I do is apply it to the cover, spread it out evenly with non-absorbant pad, let it soak in (30-60 min), wipe off residual leaving it looking brand new.

I used to spray it on lightly and wipe it off but it didn't give that "new" look. Either way though, a good rain will wash it off almost completely. Thought that to be a bummer cause at $25 a quart stuff isn't cheap. Then again, maybe its designed purposely to wash off easily.
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Just stomped back in after a long layoff and saw Silverado XVXVIIILCMXI was gone, and something from PF about a war.

So, I'm guessing it got a little ugly. Too bad I wasn't here to watch the battle.

Always a day late....dang.

On the good side, I'm celebrating 13 months without a shop repair.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Welcome back....
    So the question is are you lucky enough to not have the Vortec Knock or Are you lucky enough to have the Vortec Knock ???

The question sounds redundant because GM says either engine is normal, LOL, so which do you have ???

I now have 29k knocking miles but love everything else about this truck. Gotta get them sunvisor extensions though the ride home is a killer with the sun low in the sky and out of reach of standard visor. GM designers were asleep at the wheel on this one.

Ray T.
    Sometimes I hear it on start-up, usually I don't. So basically, no. Will still have to push the test button on the 100K warranty thing though, when I get time. It's a busy summer.

This place is quiet, civil, and free of Silverado-envy. Pretty cool.
  • jpfltawjpfltaw Member Posts: 43
    1) What is the fix for the bed box that is low on one side ? - 2002 rado ext 2x4 4.8 SB

2) After market shocks ( Bilstein-Edelbroc-Rancho 9000 ) ? - 2000 rado ext 2x4 5.3 SB BFG velvet shackles w/ride control and rear air bags.
  • jasonpeterclarjasonpeterclar Member Posts: 30
    I have had the lean since new too. Don't really want to take it in to the dealer. No other problems. Mine leans to the left 1-2 inches when unloaded, low fuel and no passengers. I may have slightly bent the springs this winter when loading firewood.
    (2001, 1500LS, X-cab, 5.3, 3.42, shortbed, 4x2, 13k miles)I am planning on installing Air Lift or Firestone bag springs to the rear. Then I could independently adjust pressure to correct lean. Plus I could keep the front tires on the ground during firewood season. Wanted a 2500HD but needed to drive to work every day too.

BTW, been averaging 19 mpg on my daily 80 mile commute. Very happy with that.
  • minikinminikin Member Posts: 389
    Used it a couple of times before winter set in; used the light spray on, wipe it in/on method. Didn't notice any streaking onto the paint, but agree it doesn't seem to last that long either.
    -- Don
  • mpalombompalombo Member Posts: 186
    So this is where everybody has been hiding...lol

-Mark
  • pyro49pyro49 Member Posts: 4
    Looking at Chevy ext. cab shortbox 4x4 1996. well taken care of but all it's got is A/c cruise and auto. and here's the kicker a 4.3 V6. Sitting on dealer lot for the last few months I guess nobody wants the V6. I drove a '95 with the 305 and it was a real slug. I think GM brought the vortec out in 96 did the V6 get the upgrade and is it worthwhile trying this truck with the V6 out???
  • rwagonerrwagoner Member Posts: 338
    I need tires. Originals were Generals on my '99 LT 1500. Rode fine, but seemed to wear out too quickly (27,000 miles for two, although a slightly bad alignment hastened their demise ... I figure that w/out the alignment problem the entire set would go about 32,000). I don't like to buy two tires.

Richard
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    I had one, SWB 2wd, and on the flat it's fine. But you definitely tell it's a 6 when you come to a hill. Lost speed quick. '96 was notorious for water pumps or fuel pumps going bad. I forget which. The other problem I had was exhaust systems. I had three of them in the couple yrs. I had it and the guy that bought it made them put another on it. The vibration from the V6 would loosen up the guts in the muffler.
  • pyro49pyro49 Member Posts: 4
    The more info the better,I'm going to test drive it today. You don't go anywhere in my city without going up or down hills. It would mostly be used for city driving and trips to the cottage,but it's a short run. It's very difficult to find used trucks in my area this one is about the only one on the lot's that is a reasonable price,they are too popular here and you always pay a premium.
  • mcrmcr Member Posts: 15
    I used to have the streaking(the dreaded black streaks) down the side of my travel trailer. Cause was the crud on roof. I used Tilex Bathroom Mildew Remover or some such spray to clean the roof and awning then treated with 303. So far no streaks. The roof material is EDPM rubber and the awning is vinyl. Don't know how long it will last, but inst. says every 4-6 months re-apply. Seems like 303 is water soluble when still wet.
    is water soluble period!!!

Get it wet and it will wash off with plain water. Seems to me for $25 dollars a quart it should last a little longer. I guess it along with a lot of other things aren't what they are advertised to be.
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I haven't found 303 to be water soluble.

Obyone, did you spray it on, wait ~ 5 minutes and wipe off the excess? I do that, and don't have any problems with rain, dew, etc. Maybe it's because we have low humidity most of the time (dry California, not the Northwest or the coast).

Mike L
    Yes, in fact I let it saturate the surface for at least an hour, spreading it with a non absorbent material. It stays on till the next rain, then 80% washes off. If it rains for two days, its completely gone.
    303 doesnt last long when it rains. As a matter of fact i have streaks running down the sides and tailgate of my truck (i 303ed the tailgate protector and bedrail caps last time i washed my truck) from where the 303 ran off in the last rain
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    This is a topic about the Silverdo... NOT a GM vs Toyota topic... let's not get this started up here again please.

Thanks for your cooperation and participation

PF Flyer

Host

Pickups & News & Views Message Boards

• seeligseelig Member Posts: 590
    some guys never learn eh PF?

anyway, i'm at 57K on the 00', and after having the tranny serviced (pan was clean) the problem that comes and goes(delayed 1-2 shift)is coming more often........anyone know of a TSB for this?

thx
    mike
    TSB 01-07-30-023 Harsh 1-2 Upshift and Possible Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)P1870 (Replace Valve Body)

That's the listing I got from the old geocities site back in July 01. That site has been shut down now. Try http://www.alldata.com they give the list for free but you gotta pay for the full text. 1 yr. subcription is around $18 (I think)for full text.

Geo.....

Hey my 2500 Silverado didn't make the CR list of least reliable woohoo!

July 26 first trip to Ontario for this year and then again in August. Just bought brand spankin new Fleetwood Pioneer 28' travel trailer, got tired of that little ole 18 footer, now to give this truck a workout....Sacandaga here we come!

Ray T.

MIL ON - Harsh 1st to 2nd Upshift DTC P1870 (Valve Body)

File In Section: 07 - Transmission/Transaxle

Bulletin No.: 01-07-30-023A

Date: November, 2001

TECHNICAL

Subject:
    Harsh 1-2 Upshift, SES, MIL, or CEL Illuminated, DTC P1870 Set
    (Replace Valve Body)

Models:
    1996 Buick Roadmaster
    1996 Cadillac Fleetwood
    1999-2000 Cadillac Escalade
    1996-2000 Chevrolet Camaro, Corvette
    1996-2000 Pontiac Firebird
    1996-2000 Chevrolet and GMC Light Duty Truck Models
    1996-2000 Oldsmobile Bravada
    with 4L60-E Automatic Transmission (RPO M30)
    Built Prior to January 15, 1999 (Julian Date 9015)

This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 01-07-30-023 (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a harsh 1-2 upshift and the Check Engine Light or Service Engine Soon indicator is illuminated.

Diagnosis

Typically, these vehicles will have been driven more than 32,000 km (20,000 mi) before this condition occurs.

The scan tool may show a DTC P1870 set as a history code.

A harsh 1-2 shift or DTC P1870, caused by wear in the control valve body, may be difficult to duplicate when the transmission temperature is below 93°C (200°F).

Cause

The condition may be due to wear in the control valve body. This wear occurs in the bore that contains the TCC isolator and regulator valves, and results in poor, or no, TCC apply.

Important :

^ DTC P1870 is a type B code. The conditions for setting the P1870 DTC must occur on TWO CONSECUTIVE TRIPS (ignition cycles, with a drive cycle) before setting a P1870 history code.

^ When the conditions for setting DTC P1870 are met (first trip), the PCM commands maximum line pressure and harsh 1-2 shifts are the result.

^ This may result in a harsh 1-2 shift with no history code if the conditions for setting the DTC required for the second trip are not met, on two consecutive trips (Ignition cycles, with a drive cycle).

^ When the conditions for setting the DTC are met, on the second consecutive trip, a DTC P1870 is stored as a history code.

^ When the P1870 code is stored, the PCM will turn on the Service Engine Soon (SES), Check Engine Light (CEL), or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL).
    Correction

Install a control valve body with the revised TCC regulator and isolator valves. Refer to the Parts Information table below. These valves are used in all transmissions produced after January 15, 1999 (Julian Date 9015), and all of the service parts currently available through GMSPO contain revised TCC regulator and isolator valves.

Important :If all of the following conditions are true, it is not necessary to rebuild the transmission or to replace additional transmission components beyond the control valve body.

^ Transmission operation is normal before the transmission reaches operating temperature, or before DTC P1870 is set (no slips, flares, or missing gears).

^ The torque converter is not blue or overheated.

^ The transmission fluid is not burned or has no burned odor.

^ The transmission fluid pan contains no abnormal debris (clutch material, bronze, brass, or metal fragments).
    Parts Information

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
    For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Hey mister....My 01 2500 sure worked hard
    this winter plowing snow. Since summer
    is almost here my cold start knock has
    disappeared. But most of my cars and
    trucks (toys included) had some kind of
    cold start knock in those frozen NY winters !
    Hey if your heading up Rt.81 to Ontario Can.
    My motel is right next to the 1000 islands
    bridge exit 50so. My email is in my profile
    maybe we can hook up and swap fishin stories !
    .......Geo
  • ddd522ddd522 Member Posts: 3
    2000 Silverado w/32K miles into dealer for truck not stopping like it use to. Dealer said rear rotors & brakes shot($560-$700). Front rotors and brakes all okay. Bottom line: dealer would not do work under warranty. Called GM customer service and they would not cover the problem. I understand that rotors are a wear item but to have the rear ones completely shot and the fronts okay is not making sense to me. Has anyone else experienced this problem and looking for advice on next steps
    The rotors should be covered but not the pads. Rotors don't usually wear out that quick. I have a car w/original rotors and 155k miles on it with NO warpage or scoring to require a resurfacing. Any time I changed disc pads I only had to rough up the surface with emery paper to break the glaze. That car was built in 1969 !
    Right a letter to your attorney generals office quoting the bumper to bumper warranty on this new vehicle and see if that doesn't rattle someones cage, it usually works for me. The dealer is hoping you take no for an answer and go away. GM customer service is a joke, their a sub contractor hired to say what GM wants them to say. Does the word "puppet" mean anything!
    Of course then again there's that knock issue not covered under warranty too! But that's a normal engine noise requiring no fix......

Ray T.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    I would call GM customer service and the dealer again and explain that you are willing to pay for pads, but not the rotors, and explain that you are going to complain to the BBB if they do not fix your truck. The BBB has a web site and makes it very easy to report them. I bet they fix your truck.
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    My 2k Silverado 4.3 V-6, 4x4, also shifts very hard from 1st to 2nd sometimes. It is hard enough to squeal the rear tires if the truck is not loaded. It seems to happen when I am accelerating in 1st then lift my foot (for what ever reason) then continue to accelerate. The truck slams back to 1st. Speed is usually around 10-20 mph. The truck only has 9k miles, but has spent much of that towing 5000 lbs (within the rated limit). Is this the same harsh shifting that people are talking about?
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    If you drive with pads that are worn out (down to the metal) it will damage the rotors. This is the only reason I can come up with for why GM won't replace the rotors. If this is not the problem why can't they just turn the rotors?
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    with the majority of the braking done by the front wheels and little done by the rear, the fronts should go before the rears.

We got a couple reports of RR pads and rotors being trashed when I worked for the brake company on the hot line, but were never able to substantiate anything concrete.

BUT, the proportioning of the rear brakes runs through the Kelsey-Hayes EBC 325 ABS modulator unit mounted under the cab of your truck on the inside of the left frame rail, and my thought is that if it is sticking internally it may allow the brakes to drag and wear out prematurly! So the worn out brake pads and rotors is simply an indicator of a more "root" problem.

The typical dealer tech does not really know enough about brakes to understand how the hydraulic system works. Oh yes they may be wizzes on the electronic drivability symptoms but the manufacturers don't have too many brake courses to keep their franchised dealer techs up to date. Have someone in the aftermarket who really knows ABS and understands how it works and affects the brake system look at it and then do the State's AG and BBB thing. You may just get GM over a barrel.

Let us know how you make out.

matthew
    Time to hook up my new electric brake controller!. The game is figuring out which wires to tie together.

The GM-supplied wire harness:
    Dk Blue - Trailer Brake Controller Switched Output
    Red - Fused Trailer Brake Controller Battery Feed
    Lt Blue - Vehicle Stop Lamp swtich to Brake Controller Input
    Black - Brake Controller Ground
    Brown - Brake Controller Illumination

The Draw-Tite Brake Controller:
    Black - Battery +
    Blue - Brake
    Red - Stoplight
    White - Ground -

I have my idea. Just want to bounce it and get second opinions. Much thanks.
    I would say :

Draw-Tite----GM

Black--------Red
    Blue---------Dk. Blue
    Red----------Lt. Blue
    White--------Black

Brown is probably not used for that model brake controller.

Good luck.

-Mark
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    I would be calling DrawTite and find out what they recommend before using the SWAG method... just my .02

matthew
  • punjabpunjab Member Posts: 102
    mpalombo is correct on the wiring scheme.
  • chevy4mechevy4me Member Posts: 203
    The generals on my 99ls are gone at 28k.But I'm making them go till I see a deal on michelins.I may have done better on miles but never had an alignment and only rotated once.The thinking was I was going to be replacing much sooner.Also the tires lost little chunks like I read about here awhile back.
    Still going strong @ 29k but when their shot Michelin's will be the choice. Looks like I'll get about 40k (another year)outta these before replacement and only rotated 3 times.

Ray T.
  • tommyclarktommyclark Member Posts: 5
    Has there been a final verdict on how big of a tire i can put on my 2500HD 4X4 without changing rims? I am looking for a combo offroad/street tire, i run in powder sand alot on weekends.
  • titanium10ktitanium10k Member Posts: 10
    I have a 02 silverado with 5.3...went to the dealership the other day to buy an oil filter and the girl at the counter sold me a pf58 filter even though the book calls for a pf59...didnt realize until I got home and checked the book. Does anyone know the difference between the two???????? also I have read some post about the changing of the rear end fluid and when to change... the book doesn't say to change anywhere around 500 to 1000 miles like I have heard any suggestion I have the 3.73 rear with posi traction. Also on another post I read u can buy a cupholder for a 2002 that will fit in that empty space under the radio well it fits perfectly just have to specify for a 2001. but it bolts right up and will fold away...thanks for the help
    One has the anti-drainback valve (PF59) and one doesn't (PF58). Which really doesnt matter due to the upright positition of the oil filter. You do know that KMart sells the same Delco filter for 2/$5 and you can choose between the 58 or the 59.

Sorry can't remember on the rear end change only because I think it's related to towing and not to do it until you reach 500 miles on the truck. Think the manual says 30k miles between rear end changes...not positive on that tho but is easily checked. Man am I getting lazy...lmao
    is suggested after 500 miles of towing. I just changed mine for first time @29K and put about 3000 miles worth of towing on it, hardly even looked dirty. Replaced it with Mobil 1 Synthetic 75/90 Gear Lube.

Ray T.
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    I put 285 75 16's on my 1500 Silverado Z-71 about 2 months ago. They fit fine on the stock wheels.

I ended up buying tires at Walmart. They sell an ALL TERRAIN tire called "LIBERATOR" made for them by Michelin. I did not believe the guy in the tire shop so I called Michelin myself. He was right.

They are Q speed rated (99 MPH) load range D (3,305 pounds). Drive out price for 4 tires, life time balance, road hazard, stems, tax $461.00.
    The 2500's have narrower rims than the 1500's (6.5" vs 7.0") The largest tire I've found that is recommended for a 6.5" rim is a 255/85-16. Everything 265 and above is listed by the manufacturer for 7" or larger rims.

Mike L
    I have a 285 tire on my spare rim which is 6.5"
    I didn't say it wouldn't fit, I said the manufacturers don't recommend it. There must be a reason the tire is not recommended for fitment on that size rim - I don't pretend to know what it is.

I know lots of people run tires on rims they are recomended for, I won't do it. Lots of people run tires that are overloaded, I won't do that either. To me, wrong rim size, overloaded, under pressure are all asking for trouble.

Mike L
  • gm02gm02 Member Posts: 49
    Called Chevy for the dash mounted cup holder, $61., ouch! Wondering if that's the same price you paid? Seems pretty steep for a cup holder.
    Has anybody used the Z-14 product from Zaino, this is their plastic cleaner. If so what do you think about it?

-Mark
    I know you didnt mean it didnt fit.

Just stating i had one on my spare rim
This discussion has been closed.