Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado

Comments

• michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    Hiya, folks. Haven't been here in a while...too much work.

I'm looking at a 2500 for my move to Alaska. Question. How are the 2500s for mileage (6.0 V8) and what difference does the 3.73 vs 4.10 axle ratio make, if any on mileage?

Many thanks. How's that rig, Ryan?
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    great
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Hi everyone - I usually hang out on the Mazda6 board (as you can prolly tell from my name), but my husband owns a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4 pickup (not the Z71 version). And since Edmunds has such good advice from other owners, I thought I'd post here.

Last night he was driving home - about a 40-minute drive - and a "SERVICE 4WD" light was lit the entire time. He did not have 4WD in gear at the time. This is the first time it's happened. In the 4 years he's owned this truck (he got it new in April of '99), he's not had to use 4WD very often - only a few times when we had a lot of snow, etc. (we're in Michigan).

Any ideas, before he takes it in to the dealer?

Thanks!
    my guess is the 4wd switch. Kinda a common problem on the trucks
  • mazdamarlamazdamarla Member Posts: 350
    Okay - just talked to hubby on the phone. The light was still on this morning, and he was not able to engage the 4WD at all - it stayed in 2WD. Would just the switch not working do this? Or is it a problem with the actual 4WD system?
  • mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    I have a 2500 4x4 w/6.0L engine. I've averaged 14mpg since new. The truck carries a popup camper and weighs 7550#. Worst mileage was around 10 with plenty of lo-range rock crawling. Highest was 16.5 on a trip.

I suspect empty mileage doesn't concern you much - the truck will probably be full for the trip.

The axle ratio makes almost no difference in mileage. With a closed loop system, the computer feeds the right amount of fuel into the engine - and to travel a given speed it takes a certain amount of power. Basically fuel = power. More fuel, more power. Mostly independent of gear ratio. There is slightly more friction losses at higher rpm, but it is only 10% more rpm and those losses are minimal. Reducing speed from 70 to 68 will have more effect on mileage.

Mike L
    Hey, thanks for that info. I just so happens that a truck camper is what brought on our consideration of a 2500. Imagine my surprise last week when I opened the glove box and the sticker on my 1500 said campers were not recommended. Damn!

I found a great candidate rig within 50 miles...right options, right color, right price. It might work!
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    My 2000 Silverado 2500 Ext Cab w/5.3 gets 12 to 16 mpg at best. I have the 3:73 gears and auto trans. Towing my 6600 lb. camper I get 8-10 mpg. Good Luck with the move to Alaska, some day I'll vacation there!
    Love the truck ! My profile lists how I equipped my truck.

Ray T.
    8.1 with piston tip ? So GM has changed the name from piston slap to piston tip now. They will do nothing about it other than a engine component warranty if you scream enough, but there was a post either here or on the "GM Engine Knock" board regarding a guy with a knocker that just turned 100k and still running, so maybe it is just an annoyance after all. My 5.3L knocker has 38k but still running strong.

Ray T.
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Your not likely to find the problem randomly. Tell your husband to take his truck to someone with the proper code scan tool. It's the first step in the diagnostic procedure. The tool plugged into the truck provides the mechanic with a code which is matched to a separate reference indicating what the likely problem is and a diagnostic and repair sequence. Don't worry, it could just be a blown fuse. In fact, if he still has the owner's manual, he should be able to find and check the relevant fuses himself. Mine shows at least two. Let us know how it turns out.

-David
    To repeat black_silver's question...since I'm curious myself. What's the real difference between the 2500 and the 2500HD? What drives the extra capacity?

I've searched the brochure and Chevy's web site (oh so not helpful) and cannot find the answer.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    2500HD has a one ton rated frame.
  • sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    The transfer case is different, and the frame is
    taller in a HD so they can squeeze in the diesel
    and allison trans. Thus the raised hood in the
    early model HDs. I wonder what they did to the
    03s as they don't have one. Maybe the front end
    change in 03 did the trick. Because last years you
    couldn't get the allie trans. with a 8.1 in the Burbs.
     either...Not sure about 03s tho................geo
    there's a substantial difference in GVWR and payload capacities, driven by bigger powerplant (Duramax, 8.1L) and transmission (Allison 1000, ZF 6-speed) options. I've never looked under the rear of a 2500, but look at the HD differential. Massive. If the 2003 brochure doesn't have all the above data, you might look for a 2001 or 2002; They do. The 2001 even has the towing capacities, both ball hitch and fifth wheel, for all models and configurations. I don't know why these were omitted later.

-David
  • black_silverblack_silver Member Posts: 39
    The 2500HD shares the same frame and running gear (heavier driveshaft/rear end) with the 3500. The 'regular' 2500 (and 1500HD) have a 3/4 ton frame, and the 1500 has a 1/2 ton frame.
    Excellent information there. Given similarly equipped 2500 or 2500HD (6L V8, HD auto trans), does the mileage differ appreciably?

Drove both a 3.73 and 4.10 axle ratio truck today. Think I like the 3.73 better. Given the amount of real "work" my trucks do, I just don't see myself needing the 4.10.

Now if the dealer can scare up a rig with the right options.....

Thanks again.
  • rabbitrunrabbitrun Member Posts: 9
    Ray, yes it is a knocker! Took it in to my local dealer, they called me and said that GM will give me 6 year/100,000 mile engine component warranty. This was my first visit in for this problem.
    I am now thinking about asking them if GM will replace the engine. What do you think?
    Thanks, Steve
    As to axle ratios: Be aware, if you intend to install larger diameter tires, throttle sensitivity (acceleration) will be affected. I have the HD/3.73. After 15K, BFG 265/75s were added. I wouldn't have expected much difference jumping up just one tire size, but the results were disappointing. I wish I had gone with 4.10s.

-David
    They will not replace your engine. That's why you got the "engine component warranty". In case you didn't know GM Customer Service is a sub contractor, hired by GM to do the dirty work with handing out these warranties on the knockers and any other problem you have. I wrote letters to GM directly and got 0 responses from them, that shows how much they care about customer service !
    I also just bought a 7yr/100k extended warranty to keep me covered the duration I plan on keeping this truck but it was NOT thru GM, they already got my money on a defective truck ! I like my truck but GM has no idea how to properly treat it's customers, they may learn the hard way eventually.

Ray T.
  • carlccarlc Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know what changes were made the the 6.0L engine to get it to 345HP in the escalade. What about the 6.0L in the SS.

CarlC
    May I interject here long enough to announce that I am the happy new owner of a 2003 2500HD?

Just waiting for that first scratch now....
    Congratulations! You don't mess around.
    Tell us more.

-David
  • blackmax200blackmax200 Member Posts: 255
    not absolutely sure but injector size, exhaust manifolds, and, oh yes... computer programing ??? amazing what the little buggers can have done to them to make different ratings.

matthew
  • kendoughkendough Member Posts: 7
    I looked at the HD, but it only comes with the 4.10 rears with the 6.0. I thought the diesel/auto for $6000 was too much money. I got the regular 2500 instead.
  • myron6myron6 Member Posts: 2
    All right all you fellow GM fans I need some help. I have a new 2003 2500/HD with the Duramax/Allison setup. I have had the truck in for service 4 times with the same issue of the Service 4wd light on. Recently I was sliding down I-94 with my family in the truck and pushed the 4wd button and I was inoperable. The truck tries to put itself into 4wd low when if feels like it. The dealership had me pull out the 4wd fuse to stop that problem.(this happened after the sliding incident) Service bulletin # 03-04-21-001 dated Feb 03 says the encoder motors on the transfer case are problematic. The bulletin states that they do not have a fix for the problem. I don't want any other truck I just want one that works. Does The Minnesota Lemon Law apply here?
  • stoutporterstoutporter Member Posts: 13
    ......"have you talked to our pnemonia stricken friend lately?"

He's around.....just not here. First time in .....uhh.....hmmmmm.....1-2 years?

Same Truck....no pneumonia. Don't know if it was the trick, but I sure feel great. Been taking a daily intake of many vitamins. About almost 1900% of the daily reccomended allowance of vitamin C, along with dozens of others I believe helps ward off the stuff. Vit.C goes thru your system so fast, taking twice a day in large doses (perfectly healthy, as body will only take what it needs) has made me feel great. Mental or real?....don't matter..I like it.

Truck.....hmm...about 68K.....still nothing wrong. Same Tires (I am amazed they still look great too, F-stones) Same Shocks. Same need of a wash. ...and yes....same cab filter 3.75 years later. New one?....it is right on the bench in the barn, where I put it 2 years ago or so.

I get about 15-16 (75/25 city/hwy) mpg with the 6.0/4:10

New Ado's look like crap. Still leaning towards a Burb next truck, but no idea or desire to even look for one as to when.

Same web site I haven't fixed in quite a while (maybe next winter?)

Me......same me, but just not here like I was. Miss yawl, still talk with Mike a lot (who's on MSN or Yahoo messenger?....get on to talk to me frequently). Just don't have the time to chat about the same 3 subjects over and over....LOL

4:30 am ......I am off to tie up the blades and go for a morning skate......(health and fitness is what I am all about these days.......well......between beers and hunting......I mean come on.....it is me!)

B-good

N-Joy

- Porter
    Miller Genuine Draft...lmao
  • stoutporterstoutporter Member Posts: 13
    years ago.......name still sticks

- Porter
    I hear the welcome back kotter theme in the background

haha

Glad to hear your doing good (CHANGE THE FILTER!!!)
    Check into the lemon law for Minnesota, there should be a website to access it, you probably have a case since it is a drivability issue and there is a TSB with no cure.
    Been there done that in N.Y. long ago w/a defective GM product.

Stout, hmmmm a new name surfaces with the new make over. Above all your health by all means, which brings back the issue of that 3.75 yr. old CABIN FILTER ! LOL

Killians works great after a good 2 hour hockey work out too! Not that I'm promoting anyone to imbibe!

Ray T.
  • jaguar0027jaguar0027 Member Posts: 387
    Nice to see you around. Glad to hear your Rado is still doing fine!
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I am considering buying a diesel engine equipped 4X4 supercab truck. Do not know much about the Duramax engine reliability and longevity because it is relatively new. Is the Duramax/Allison auto set up the best? Does GM offer a good heavy duty manual transmission in their Duramax equipped trucks? Both the new Cummins HO and the Duramax offer almost identical horsepower and torque. Chrysler offers an exceelent 6 speed heavy duty manual transmission with their Cummins HO. I am also concerned with strange problems with the GM electronically controlled transfer cases and would rather go with a regular lever shift version. Are those standard in the GM trucks? I believe they are in the Dodge trucks. Any feedback would be appreciated.
    P100

there is a guy on another site who is an auto broker and has a 3500 with the duramax. Sold it last summer at like 480K miles
    GM also offers a 6 spd manual with the Duramax engine. Since the 5 speeds are the same as Dodge offers, I'd guess the 6 speeds are the same transmissions also.

Mike L
  • lonebulllonebull Member Posts: 5
    Cross reference to: "Service 4WD" message /Silverado 2500HD Duramax" Under discussion "Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD"

This is a serious problem and GM NEEDS TO HEAR LOTS of complaints.

I am ready to invoke the LEMON LAW!
  • mallredmallred Member Posts: 2
    Hello all,
      I am considering purchasing a 2003 regular cab with the 4.8L V8. Did the infamous piston slap problem effect this engine? If so, has it been resolved for the '03 model year?

Thanks
    Piston slap seems to occur on a portion of the engines across the board. Neither my 99 4.8 nor my 00 6.0 have exhibited symptoms.

I suspect it is a small percentage of engines that do it. That small percentage is very vocal - I'd probably be vocal too, if my truck was affected.

I haven't heard of any failures due to the noise, and I tend to believe GM when they say it is a nuisance, not a problem and that it won't lead to any long tern durability issues. Some have reported loud piston slap for over 100k miles without failure.

Mike L
  • shamptonshampton Member Posts: 53
    May sound stupid, but I don't have the fancy DIC and can't figure out how to reset the "Change Engine Oil" light. Changed my own oil over the w/e and can't figure out how to reset this light.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!
    You don't have the owners manual for this truck ??
    What the heck is a DIC ?

Turn ignition to "ON" and pump gas pedal 5 times in succession, this should reset the oil change light reminder.

Ray T.
    to my new toy....... a Mini Cooper !
    In fact I think it can fit in the bed of the truck. LOL !

Ray T.
  • txyank1txyank1 Member Posts: 1,010
    On the fancy shmancy models. :)
    Congrats......
    Man, in my neck of the woods a new Mini with ADM
    and mop and glow are 25k ! A new 1500 4x4 LS ex-
    cab is 24k.....Go figure.............geo

BTW: I put my old GTO and Triumph Bonneville 750
    back on the road for summer Tues. Its SNOWING
    today ! BOO-HOO
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    NOOBIE1 - Is your clock still dropping out and giving you the wrong time? Mine is now doing this every so often. Today, it dropped about 7 hours. Getting within a few thousand before my warranty expires, so would like to get it fixed. Any idea about the cause, or the fix?

OBYONE - You seem to have a lot of knowledge about these vehicles, do you have any ideas?

Thanks
    Cowboyjohn
    this past winter a few times the following happened

I would get in and start the truck. The time would say like 3:23 (actually like 6:30am) then it would do a countdown it would jump to 4: something then 5 something then 6:25, 6:26, 6:27.... etc until it hit the right time. Only took about 15-20 sec. It was wierd. Must have been due to the cold cause it hasnt happened since january
    If its a consistent problem, one that can be "verified". I'd take it in before your warranty expired cause those headunits aren't cheap to replace. I'd think that there was a short to disrupt the power to the clock. I'm assuming of course that you don't have one of those self adjusting clocks like Ryan.
    Mini ran $17375 + tax, no options it came equipped just right for my commuter car. Only down side was NO dickering on the price, you pay MSRP. I did not get the supercharged model (that was another 3k). Picked it up in New Jersey which is 12 miles from work, I can put it in the bed of the Silverado if I want it to tagalong LOL !

Silverado now only gets used on weekends, going on fire calls or camping. Then again I still have my 69 AMX registered year round now for when the mood strikes and the motorcycle. What was that phrase... "he who dies with the most toys wins"

We're supposed to go to Canada 2x this summer but I don't know with this SARS crap floating around up there. What will it be next ???? Hopefully they'll find a antibiotic to fight it soon.

Truck has 39k now and really no trouble (not even the clock) other than the piston slap/fuel rail tick or whatever phrase is in use nowadays. Will be needing tires by end of summer but the brakes don't even look worn!
    Buying the ESP pretty much put my mind at ease for the duration I'll have this truck,10yr/100k

Off to Richmond next Thursday to catch the Busch race on Friday night, Winston cup race Saturday night and visit with friends, truck looses out on this trip with it's paltry 15 mpg as opposed to the Mini getting 37 mpg.

Cheers.......

Ray T
    Thats a DEAL on a Mini ! My sister is turning in
    her leased 00 BMW X-5. It has been quite trouble
    some.... She was looking at the mini or another beemer but too much $$$ I guess..Heck shes paying $500 mth. now! I think
    shes gonna get a Saab 9-3. With the GM employee
    discount she can lease one for $1000 down, $250 a
    month 36 mths, OTD price.
    Hope to see you and your crew this year in the
     1000 Islands or at the snowplow BBQ in
    Poughkeepsie. Still wanna compare knockers !~
    .......geo
  • cowboyjohn1cowboyjohn1 Member Posts: 125
    Thanks for the information. No, Ryan, mine doesn't do the self adjusting act. Maybe it wasn't cold enough - about 50 degrees.
    Obyone
    Am retiring next week so intend to take it to the local dealer in the next couple of weeks. Warranty expires on Feb. 1, 2004, OR I have 28,000 on it now, so possibly sooner.
    cowboyjohn
    Congratulations on your Mini Cooper! I'm a big fan. Those things are awesome.

-David
    I'm in agreement with Obyone. First reaction, it sounds like an intermittent short. I'd get it to a dealer to have the problem registered. Even if they can't duplicate, your on record that the it began before your warranty was up. It could worsen or quit altogether in the future. I'd keep on them about it too. Once they know about it, let them know every time it occurs. Deal with the same person so they know you and your problem. They may, by some miracle, offer to replace or repair it on your word alone; I recently contacted a dealer about my CD player gobbling CD's. He says, "Sure, bring it in. We'll take it out and send it out or repair". HA! Now if I could just work up the courage to let'em tear into my dash.

-David

BTW- I haven't had a repeat of the problem since last post.
This discussion has been closed.