Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Climate Control Problems (Air Conditioning, Heat) - All Cars

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I read your post on the TB forum. Do you get a ratcheting type noise from behind the dash from time to time? Reason I ask is that your problem sounds like the mode door actuator which is a known problem on 02's. Usually it causes a noise to occur that is quite noticeable. I don't remember the link to the right page but you could do a search on mode door actuator in GM TechLink to find it.
  • axidentalaxidental Member Posts: 2
    i get no heat in the rear only cold ac air. this was working fine two weeks ago.
  • ndenunzndenunz Member Posts: 1
    I just got finished diagnosing this problem on my wife's car. There is an electronically controlled motor that adjusts the position of a flap that directs hot air to the back and front. The gears in that electronic module wore down and could no longer move the blend door. The module has to be replaced. Don't know the cost yet. The bottom portion of the center part of the dash had to be removed to get at the module.
  • safiyyasafiyya Member Posts: 3
    My 1994 tracker developed a problem with its temp gauge after I had engine replaced. I have had two thermostats put on, the fan has been replaced and the sensor. It registers hot when I am going up hills, then it comes back down to normal when descending. The car does not overheat although the gauge registers in red zone. After the sensor was changed, it now goes into red zone even with regular driving and doesn't go back to the normal range.
    Is the radiator original? If so has it been checked for blockage?
    If the gauge is truly showing the coolant temp and it's running in the red zone, that new engine won't last. It's pretty much common practice to replace, recore (if possible), or at least check the radiator on an older car when replacing the engine. It's just good practice to do so, since compared to the cost of the engine it's cheap insurance.
  • tjones4695tjones4695 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ford Eddie Baure Expedition. The cool air will not run thru the front cabin vents. I only get hot air, and sometimes its the exact opposite. The only constant thing is that my rear cabin gets exactly what I want. Can someone point me in the right direction, or is this a dealership issue? Timothy...
  • safiyyasafiyya Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. Had radiator checked and it needed to be replaced. No problems with temperature now.
  • rickeyleerickeylee Member Posts: 2
    I HAVE TO REPLACE THE ACTUATOR WITHIN MY A/C HEATER UNIT. JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE AND HOW HARD A JOB IT MIGHT BE. THE DEALERSHIP IS WANTING 1700 DOLLAR FOR THIS JOB. ALSO I'M IN NEED OF A NEW A/C AND HEATER CONTROL UNIT, AND HAVE LOOK ONLINE FOR A BETTER DEAL THAN THE DEALERSHIP. IS THE CONTROL UNIT AND THE ACTUATOR A DEALER ITEM ONLY???
  • edb327edb327 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Chevy 2500HD has individual digital climate controls for driver and passenger. Recently, they stopped working. If either knob is set at 89 degrees or lower, I get full cold. If they are set at 90 - I get full heat. Has this happened to anyone else? I checked all of the fuses related to A/C and heat - they all appear to be working. Any ideas?
  • jason0820jason0820 Member Posts: 21
    I have a quick basic question on how modern HVAC system like in my car works. What actually controls the amount of heat or A/C that you adjust, either by the traditional dials or automatic climate control systems? Is it a barrier from the heater/evaporator cores to the cabin vent that is adjusted with each turn of the dial (instead of, say, the compressor running slower if you want to go from 60 degrees to 65 degrees)?
    Also, if you have the heater on while the A/C is still on, does the A/C Compressor still run, thus having the Evaporator core running alongside the heater core?

An explanation to these questions will help out a lot in doing some work on my car at home.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    The system runs all the air through the evaporator core. If the air conditioning is turned on, the compressor runs and cools the evaporator removing humidity from the air otherwise the air just goes through the evaporator. The compressor runs at one speed on most systems. It's off or on. (Actually on some GM compressors the amount of freon is increased or decreased depending on the pressures in the system which compensates somewhat for light demand from the evaporator.)

To warm the air the cooled air is passed through the heater core. A vane in the system makes more of the air go through the heater core or less when less heat is needed.

The air is then directed to the vent, floor, or windshield depending on the control settings.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• jason0820jason0820 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the tips.. So from the explanation above, if you have the A/C switch on but the vent/temperature is set in the Heating zone (red area of climate control dial), the A/C & Compressor are still running, while the vane opens up to the heater core at the same time??

Want to know since my Civic automatically activates the A/C when windshield defrost setting is set, even if it's winter and I'm using Max Heat setting.
    That is typical of systems. IF there's fogging on the windshield it's usually because of high humidity inside or outside the car. The compressor removes humidity partly and helps clear the windshield and other windows better that way. Of course the compressor will be turned to protect the compressor from running when it's too cold.

My cars seem to turn off below 45 and 40 outside temperature.

• rc33073rc33073 Member Posts: 5
    I have the same problem on my 98 Park Avenue. The air blowing on the drivers side vents is over 20 degrees warmer than air blowing on the passenger side vents. This is when the climate control was set on 65 degrees. All actuaters are working and cabin filters are new and installed properly. Did you find a solution yet?
    Sounds like the actuator vane in the ducts or motor are working right.

Look under the glovebox area on the right hand passenger side. You might be able to see past the glovebox or take it off. Or take off the hush panel under the dash-three little taps to unscrew.

You should see a rod and white nylon snap in connector coming from a paperback size box angled at the right end of the heater box. The rod may be unsnapped or out of adjustment. The motor controlling it inside the paperback size box may be broken. That box is called the controller.

I believe the lower rod controls the relative temp of the passenger side. At the top of the box is a little electric motor that has a rod to another vane that controls the heat mix temp for both sides.

You are on board with four other pros I consulted. After removing enough of the dash to verify all four controllers were working properly. I then was able to get my hand thru the middle two ducts and touch the evaporater core. It was cold on the right side and warm on the left. It was not a door actuator problem. I returned to one of the A/C shops and the tech said he now recalled that low freon could cause the core to be cold on one side and warm on the other. When placing gauges on the system he determined it was about 5lbs low. Added freon now very cold on both sides of dash. It was very cold on the right side before which fooled us into thinking the system was not low.
  • bargainbuyer2bargainbuyer2 Member Posts: 1
    My 1999 Regal has auto climate control with dual control. The A/C blows cold on the two passenger side vents but is only air temp on the driver side vents. Any suggestions??
  • dunlap3dunlap3 Member Posts: 3
    I had a 2003 Silverado Crew Cab the went back for A/C getting warm,(90+ degrees),at idle, 9 times for numerous repairs for actuators,switches,programming, and on and on. They even tried to tell me the billet grille I had was the problem, the same one they had on their new trucks on the lot. They also told me I was expecting too much for the A/C to get cool in a mile and a half on 100+ days. I had numerous videos of it going from 52 degrees to 90 after driving the mile and a half to pick up my son at school. My 95 Astro Van was so cold on the same trip to his school I had to turn it down. The other cars/trucks I owned never acted like this on the same trips as the truck, but they kept telling me I was expecting too much. It went back to Chevy under CA. Lemon Law. I was stupid enough to buy 2004 Silverado Crew Cab from another dealer and it is doing the exact same thing !!! I had to go through arbitration on this one, won that and let them have it for 10 days to drive/repair. I told them (Dealer) to keep the truck till it acts up,then, DO SOMETHING, I don't care if you just replace a 2 or 3 dollar part, as long as you do something. They called my wife, she picked it up and asked what they found and they told her "Nothing, the A/C works according to design". I have numerous videos of the A/C going from the low 50's to high 80's, even 90 while I wait for my son, and even showed my A/C thermometer as accurate against my home thermostat and they tell me it's working properly??? Anyone else had this problem, or is 90 degrees at idle OK??? Any input would help cause this one is going back as well. Thanks, Bob
    >When placing gauges on the system he determined it was about 5lbs low

I don't think a system holds 5 lbs of freon. I believe mine only holds 1.75 lbs. But if adding the freon worked, that's great.

• dtestworkindtestworkin Member Posts: 4
    You won't believe this but my problem of the a/c being colder on one side than the other was cured when I changed my compressor after not being able to take the bearing noise any longer! The odd thing is that the old compressor seemed to work ok-it just made noise when the compressor was not engaged. The refrigerant was full but it just wouldn't work correctly. I hope this helps . Now I have another problem that I think might be common on these cars(1997 buick park ave)in that the wipers just stop in the vertical position when you turn off the wipers, this just started when I parked my car when it was raining with the wipers on and then when I came out after work and started the car I turned off the wipers and they parked in the middle of the window. Am I correct in assuming that it is the wiper module? thanks anyone
    t
  • cuzzxcuzzx Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1989 chevy van.
    theres a tag under the hood that states that this a/c will run with either r-12 or r134(?).
    on the large cyclinder is a screw on cap where r12 can be hooked up and on the larger line is set for r134.
    so what gives?
    have never heard of this before.
  • sizsiz Member Posts: 2
    On my 2003 Chrysler Sebring convertible, the fan speed control on the dashboard works on the highest setting only, so the air flow can be either very fast or off, but nothing in between. Is the trouble in the control or in the blower? Any suggestions? Thanks. Siz.
    Correction! From 30psi to 35psi so the tech added 5psi not 5lbs. I had four places recommend disassembly of the dash and not adding freon. A conspiracy?
  • cuzzxcuzzx Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1989 chevy van.
    theres a tag under the hood that states that this a/c will run with either r-12 or r134(?).
    on the large cyclinder is a screw on cap where r12 can be hooked up and on the larger line under the cap you can use either r12(screw) or r134 (clip/snap).

so what gives?
    have never heard of this before.

second time around 2
  • m626m626 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I have a recurring problem with my '02 mazda 626. I bought it new from the dealer. First summer was rather cool here in Seattle, so I don't remember complaining about the AC. Second summer it was blowing air the same temp as just the fan with AC button off. Took it to the dealer. They said it was out of refrigerant. They were very surprised, considering that the car was new and said they typically see this after an accident. My car has never been in one that I know of. They refilled the system and changed a small hose, which they thought was touching another part under the hood, possibly rubbing enough to cause a leak. They also assured me that they replaced it in such a way that it will not be a problem again. Next summer (last), same problem. Blows air, just not cold. Back at the dealership they refused to examine it for free claiming that it is a different problem. I gave up on them ( probably shouldn't have) and went to a friend. He checked the system for leaks and found none, however the refrigerant level was low and he topped up. Worked like a charm after that, until this spring. Our first warm day and no AC. It is about 60 outside. The car sat in the sun in the lot for hours and I turned the AC on to cool it off for the kids. No luck.Drove home on I-5 for about 20 min -- no cold. I know now what it's like when Ac is full. It gets cold fast. Has anyone had a invisible leak like this before? No one seems to find the way the refrigerant goes. My car has under 30K miles on it and was bought new. The maintanance cost so far has greatly exceeded all my expectations. I can't be replenishing the Ac system every year!!!! If you have any advice on what to look for , please let me know.
  • ima65gtonutima65gtonut Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like the head pressure of your system is getting high due to cooling system problems. Make sure your fan clutch is in good shape. If this truck has a lot of miles on it the best thing you can do for it is to change your radiator. Inadequate air flow at an idle causes high head pressure.When you run down the road the air flow increases through the system and the pressue goes down.
  • ima65gtonutima65gtonut Member Posts: 2
    Got a 1992 C-1500 pickup that stops cooling and the A/C light flashes on the dash. The fan continues to run but the compressor shuts down. The temporary solution is to disconnect the battery and reset the system. This might last as long as 150 miles. Anyone got an idea to solve this?????
  • 777pilot777pilot Member Posts: 4
    2002 F250. I have refrigerant charge but the compressor wont turn on when I call for air. I've checked the fuse (slot #10 as per the owners manual). With a meter I get continuity from what I think is the minimum pressure switch on the same electric lead that splits and plug to the compressor. When I check the lead to the compressor, while calling for air I get zero voltage. Bad computer? relay? or compressor? or am I assuming that closed continuity is indication of enough refrigerant?
    thanks
    When your AC compressor was replaced to correct the noise you spoke about I'm sure the system was recharged with more freon than before to the proper level and that solved the temp. difference. Don't you think?
    I think your saying the clutch does not engage? Unplug the pressure switch under the hood. Jump across the two female connectors to manually tell the compressor clutch to engage. If clutch does not engage look at the gap between clutch and pulley. I have seen a need for this gap to be closure to allow the magnet to atract the clutch.
  • 777pilot777pilot Member Posts: 4
    Thanks;

I found that the switch itself (the one that screws to the accumulator housing) was bad! The good thing is that a schrader valve keeps the system pressure and you can just replace the switch with no loss of coolant. I bought a good shop manual well woth the $20....
  • gray621gray621 Member Posts: 1
    Basically, the a/c in my Silverado doesn't work. The light on the a/c switch doesn't light up, and air doesn't come out through the vents at all, including the defrost vents. Only hot air seems to come out through the 4x4 gear box on the floorboard.

When I switch the a/c or heat on I don't hear the compressor switch on. There's also a bad knocking sound that I think is coming from the compressor. I was told that may be a loose bearing in the compressor. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
  • dunlap3dunlap3 Member Posts: 3
    Hi ima65gtonut: The A/C issue continues with my 2004 Silverado going up to 90 degrees at idle. I had a 2003 with the exact same problem. The eng. temp never fluctuates, it stays at 205. On the '03, the cycling switch was replaced,condenser o-rings,fan clutch, warped blend doors,actuators,numerous re-calibrations of actuator motors etc. Never was fixed. They tried to tell me my billet grille was blocking air flow, (High Head Temp. as you said) It did it before I installed it, but to prove my point I took it out, same problem. (9 times back to G.M. then bought back under CA. Lemon Law). I was told this was the only truck ever to roll off the Assy.Line with this problem. Bought the '04, 14 months later, different dealer, SAME PROBLEM, and I have video after video of it doing exactly what I say, but it's not a trained seal, so it does not act up all the time, usually a few times a week in 100 degree weather. It gets cool at best most of the time, but family, friends and co-workers have been in it when it does it's thing, cause G.M. tried the "I'm expecting too much" theory as well. My truck cools to the low 50's when my friends G.M. vehicles and my 1995 Astro Van are in the low 40's which I also have on video cause G.M told me 30 degrees below ambient temp. is the industry standard. Problem is, my van goes to mid 40's at 100 degree ambient temp's as do the numerous loaners,(All G.M.) that I had and video taped as well. The low side hose, with the compressor on when it acts up is VERY WARM, not even close to cool and no sweating from the accumulator or anything else. I agree on the head pressure, so why do they blow me off rather than try something??? One of the loaners I had was a 1500 ext cab. and the A/C on that was like ICE under the same amount of distance traveled and and ambient temp. I popped the hood and noticed no fan off the water pump, but 2 very large electric fans in front. I agree. air flow issue and head temp. but they keep telling me"Your system works according to design" Let me know what ya think I can do from here. Thanks, Bob
  • kevsplacekevsplace Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Isuzu Trooper that I love with one problem... the AC. After the compressor locked up, I replaced it along with a new dryer. We evacuated the lines and the system, charged with nitrogen and left in system for one week. After a week, we evacuated the nitrogen and then weighed out the correct amount of R134a and filled precisely. There are no leaks. The problem I have is the AC will not go below 60F while driving at 65mph. When sitting idle, blows out 100F. We have checked the pressures and all seem fine... on the Low side, we are at about 40 when at about 3000 rpm. Any suggestions? I am thinking that maybe the heater is somehow adding heat to the system and not allowing the AC to blow cold enough. Thanks to all who post in advance!
  • jakartajakarta Member Posts: 3
    I bought an 01 Limited late 03, and notice that the AC is not blowing cold. The original owner had the AC system replaced under warranty because the compressor seized, and he mentioned prior to the problem, the AC is cold. Last summer I have tried different local dealers and they all told me it is within spec. So summer is coming and I am need to have cold AC here in KY. When outside is 80F, the middle vent is blowing about 60F with vehicle moving. If the vehicle stops, it will go up to 70F. Any idea what is wrong with this AC? I am close to the end of extended warranty 100K, so I need to solve this asap, not to mention it is getting warm here....

Its a wonderful vehicle except the AC issue.
    Thanks
    Chris
  • mcm020mcm020 Member Posts: 9
    I've got a 2003 ford taurus sel. It's got almost 60K miles. I haven't had a problem with it yet, but now the AC isn't working properly. I thought maybe it just needed a recharge, but when I hooked up the guage to test it before putting in the freon, the guage told me FULL??? and then when I walked around and fealt the air comeing out, it was COLD again??? So, I waited a couple hours, turned it on, and it wasn't working, let it ran for a min, still didn't work, turned it off. Then I waited a coupe of min's and turned it back on, and it was working again? Anyone know what it could be?
  • dwingfielddwingfield Member Posts: 2
    My daughter's 2000 Sunfire air conditioning system is intermittant-sometimes the compressor clutch engages and the thing blows cold air, other times it won't engage and the air from the vent is hot. When you select ON with the switch, the electric radiator fan starts and the engine idle readjusts, however, the compressor clutch won't engage half the time. I just replaced the compressor/clutch (the clutch bearings were bad and the clutch wobbled when it would engage). The system is fully charged and I have no leaks. Any ideas what to check next?
    There is probably a relay that switches the higher power that the clutch needs to engage. I had one of those go out. Look at your owners book for the clutch relay. Mine would engage and occasionally wouldn't and the air would warm up then the contacts would make a circuit and the compressor would cool down again. This was on a model with the cycling clutch where the relay went on and off all the time.

• dwingfielddwingfield Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the reply, however, the last owner of this car must have decided he needed the manual more than I did (I didn't get one!). I've swapped the A/C and Fuel Pump relays in the fuse panel under the hood and that hasn't solved this problem (not sure if this was the clutch relay and I'm reluctant to spend $20 at the auto parts store on a manual for one wiring diagram). Anybody know if GM/Pontiac has a website that I can view a manual? Thx, Dave
  • ejmightyejmighty Member Posts: 1
    Ejmighty
    I have a 1993 Mitsubishi Diamante,i Have a problem with my heat when it cold outside say about 30 degrees, my heat will not come on, not the blower or nothing. When the car warms up about 15 minutes the heat will come on. I have taken it to different places even the dealer they could not fix the problem. It seems like no ones knows how to fix the problem. I've had the heater control replaced. I don't know what else to do. Help! I Really love my car.
  • bryanbryan Member Posts: 198
    My GXP has the automatic climate control. The A/C in "AUTO" mode worked fine until two months ago; now it works sporadically. My paperwork from dealer service indicates "Found HVAC Control Assembly Bad--Replaced Control Assembly Head". It worked fine in AUTO for a couple of weeks, but is now acting up again. Took it back to service--got that dreaded "could not duplicate". Told me the compressor worked fine, was properly charged, etc.

According to the owner's manual, "When in AUTO, the air conditioning compressor will come on automatically, as necessary". I don't recall seeing anything lit up on the control panel display when the AUTO system was working correctly. However, when the problem started, "A/C Off" would indicate on the control display. I usually could reset it by turning off the climate control and restarting it by pressing AUTO. Not any longer!

The A/C seems to work fine when the car is first started; after a few minutes, the cold air ceases, and it starts to smell "musty". It may then kick back to cold in a few minutes, or not for awhile. Once when I floored the car to pass on a two-lane highway, the cold air came back on! However, now that doesn't happen.

To fix my car, it appears that the service folks overroad the auto setting by pushing the A/C button--the "A/C on" is now lit up all the time on the control display panel. It worked fine for awhile, but now it stops producing cold air, even though the "A/C On" is lit up on the control panel. I even got the "A/C Off" to light up for a short time, and did not press any button! It will sometimes cycle the air back to cold, but when that musty smell starts, I know the cold air is done!

It never did that before when in AUTO. For manual A/C operation, my owner's manual says "Press this button to override the automatic system and turn the air conditioning system on or off. When A/C is pressed, an indicator light in the button will come on to let you know that it is activated". The "snowflake" button does NOT light up. And, the "A/C On" does not always readily light on the control display. I usually have to turn the car off and then press the A/C button immediately upon restart to get it to indicate "A/C On" in the display, but, cold air does not always come out of the vents!

The dealer got no codes when hooked up to diagnostics. I believe they are stumped as well. I have used this forum to address other issues, and my dealer is anxious to see what you folks suggest. I apologize for the long post, but if someone can help, it would be most appreciated!

Thanks, Bryan
  • mcm020mcm020 Member Posts: 9
    I was told the "musty-ness" is a result of a leak in the system. If that hasn't been checked, or if the dealer had excluded that as a problem, that's what I would check. Although, I have a problem almost like this and I don't have a leak. I wouldn't quite call it musty, for me it's more like the feel of fog... but you can't see it, there isn't any type of that coming out. Anyone have any info on my problem? on the '03 Ford Taurus?
    The musty smell comes when the compressor cuts off and the coils warm back up so you're smelling the humidity from the water in the air flow box, normal. The smell might be from the car being closed up all the time and not drying the box out. I.e., leave winodws open when the car is in the garage so air can flow through the air conditioning box and through the car.

The problem is different than the older models before 00 when the programmer was vacuum operated. The newer ones are electrical. Your dealer should be able to find what's happening if it's giving the problem as often as it sounds like it does. Let them give you a loaner and drive yours a couple of days so it can happen when they ahve the techII hooked up to it.

I was hoping you might reply; you seem to know alot about GM cars, which I don't; and, you seem to have a "soft spot" for GM cars, which I do.

Anyway, the musty smell is only for a couple of seconds, and now that you have explained it, happens as the A/C compressor quits and the coils warm back up. The car had no such odor until the A/C started acting up. Also, I left the car for three days with them, and I think what they did was start it each day and drive it around the lot/local roads for a few minutes. The problem usually takes longer than that to manifest itself. If nothing else, I am patient. And, owning 4 GM cars, I can let them have the Bonny another week or so, no problem. That's how I finally got my sunroof rattle properly diagnosed--the service manager commuted in the car for a week. And I must say, other than the sunroof rattle and this latest A/C issue, the car has been great.

When I go back on Friday, I will be armed with a lot more info that I had. The more I have read on this thread makes me think my dealer will be able to solve the problem--I'll just "help" them with some good 'ol Edmunds knowledge. Thanks again for your input.
    This is just a thought since I have no knowledge of the system on that particular model. It sounds to me like loss of vacuum, and you desription could bear that out.
    You say that it works fine when you first turn it on, but then quits after some time. With all ACC systems I have seen they run in "max" or "recirculate" mode when you first turn them on, then switch over to fresh air mode when the temperature approaches your setting. This switchover is almost always done by a vacuum solenoid that mechanically moves a door to direct the input air from inside or outside the car, inside being the max position and outside the fresh air position. If the valve is leaky or the control for the valve it can cause the problem your talking about. This can happen with the vacuum leak not causing any other noticable problems with the car since they usually have a one way valve installed in the vacuum source to keep it that way.
    The time you said it worked when you sped up to pass on the highway could have been caused by the vacuum jumping up when you let off the gas after passing.
    The three doors are controlled electrically. There is no vacuum.

I reread and it sounds like a connection or faulty control panel. The dealer should be using it with a TechII to tell them if the AC off button is indeed requesting "off" or "on."

Was the weather in the 40s when this happened? The AC runs down into the 40s before it cuts off the compressor due to low outside temps. It also would cut off if the charge of freon is low and that pressure has dropped below the minimum required to operate the system (that's another way of protecting the system besides the power train module sensing outside temps too low for AC compressor operation. Too little freon would mean your car would drop pressure after the compressor squeezes it into the high side lines and condensor and that would turn off the compressor for a while. Then the freon going through the expansion value into the evaporator would raise the pressure on the low side and the system would turn the compressor back on.

I'll spend some quality time with my service manual later today with a cup of decaf and see what I come up with on the controls. I still think the TechII info will catch the problem--but it might be certain outside, ambient temps at which it's happening. Checking the total freon charge may not be easy, however, without evacuating and refilling these days.

• bstanton010bstanton010 Member Posts: 1
    I plan on purchasing a bottle of a/c flush to clean out the system before installing a new compressor (it seized). Does anyone know how to get rid of the air that will be in the system afterwards?

p.s. I live in Phoenix, so humidity is so low that there won't be much moisture in the air.
    You must have a proper gauge system and a vacuum pump. It has to have a vacuum on it for a certain length of time minimum before refilling with a weighed amount of freon. Don't forget to properly put the right amount of oil into the system to replace the amount you remove with the compressor.

I think it would be best to pay someone to evacuate and refill.

Thanks for taking more time to help me with this issue. I live just outside Washington, DC, so, in response to your temperature question, I had not noticed any problem with the automatic climate control (A/C portion) until the outside temperature warmed up to the low 60s to low 70s in mid-April. I immediately took it into service and that's when they replaced the control assembly head. I assume that's different from a faulty control panel?

I also spent some time looking back at some messages on this thread and thought the problem described in messages 25 and 30 (different type of car) was similar to my situation. I printed that out along with Mr. Shiftright's response (message 26) which indicated "Sounds like the a/c clutch is cycling off and on, so the problem could be electrical and has nothing to do with freon charged or coolant". And my dealer told me after the last visit that the freon charge level was okay. I'm taking several printed pages on Friday to the dealer from this thread that have a few other potential suggestions for them to explore. Your comment "The dealer should be using it with a TechII to tell them if the AC off button is indeed requesting "off" or "on."" really caught my attention, and I will be sure to bring that detail to the dealer's attention as well.

Hopefully, that will help them fix the problem. The car is warrantied for six years/60K, so I have four years and 41K more miles left ;) I really appreciate your time, effort and extensive knowledge. Folks like you on this board provide invaluable service. Thanks again.