Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford '99 Super Duty Delivery Issues

Comments

• KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    Meadowland Ford has two advantages that I've seen over other NJ Ford dealers. Since they don't sell cars, the sales staff speaks "truck" and have a better understanding off what you need. And because they make plenty of money selling class 8 trucks and tractors, they can afford to sell the pickups at extremely reasonable prices. Back in 92, they had given me a quote on a loaded F350 4x4 Crew Cab at just a few hundred over invoice without even batting an eye.

I can't say I'm in the market for a Ford, but if I have no other choice, that's probably where I would get one (as I have really bad things to say about at least 5 other Ford dealers in Bergen and Passaic counties).
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    Rite3,

Finally getting a chance to get back to you on the Factory help number. Well honestly they really do not give you any more info then the dealer gives you. If you have a good responsible salesman or sales mgr. you can get any info you need from him or her providing you have the VIN#.
    They just gave me the build date and the delivery date and if any thing was on hold. One interesting thing I did find out was my vehicle according to their computer, was scheduled to be shipped to a dealership I never heard of. You can imagine what I thought. They said they would call my dealership to find out what the deal was. Well I contacted my sales mgr. late in the day to find out what heck was going on. He confirmed customer service contacted him but said the guy did'nt know what he was talking about. My sales mgr. also called the regional supervisor just to double check and it is confirmed my truck is supposed to be delivered to my dealership on the original ship date of 7/6 or close to. Who knows how that can of worms was opened! Hopefully it was some mistake on the end of a very new and inexperienced customer service person at Ford.

I also asked about the rumors of the plant shut down and the Ford customer service person knew nothing about it. In fact he did not know much of anything. I relly believe they are given enough info just to have someone for us to talk to. I went through the same problem with my Ford windstar. The dealer knew much more then they did! Hoefully every thing will go well and the truck will be here on time.

Mroffshore
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Patience on the deliveries boys. Here in Louisville, Ford is cranking them out but there are hundreds if not more than a thousand sitting out in a field across from the [non-permissible content removed]'y plant. This does not count the ones on their big lot. Maybe deliveries are slow because of transport limitations.
    Last I heard, Ford was making 70 trucks/hr. and going to 120/hr. They have all kinds sitting out, from 250's to 550's. And I might add they look SWEET.
  • RWJOHNSONRWJOHNSON Member Posts: 5
    I've had my F250 4X4 Crew Cab on order since Mar. 28th. The build date was supposed to be Jun 18. I just received a call today from my dealer who told me that Ford has suspended the color I picked, Deep Blue Metalic Clearcoat, because of problems with the paint. A replacement for the blue won't be available until Aug 16th and if I want to keep my place in line I need to pick another color. Has anyone else heard about this issue? Please let me know. I'm trying figure out if this is real or am I getting "jacked around".
  • RWJOHNSONRWJOHNSON Member Posts: 5
    I confirmed through another dealer who called the factory that Ford has indeed discontinued the Deep Blue Metalic due to excessive and premature oxidation problems. The date they gave him for a substitute Blue was August 16. I picked another color today and the build date has been delayed one week. Should have my truck in about 3 weeks (maybe).
  • checksixchecksix Member Posts: 28
    Paint Color Substitution:
    I also ordered a F-250SD in Deep Blue Metallic Clearcoat, and was just told it is no longer available. You would think I learned from experience, because I have a 92 F-150 Deep Blue Metallic sitting in my driveway, and the hood paint has peeled down to the grey primer. I did change to another color.
    A friend of mine in NC is a chemical tech with a firm that deals with automotive paint among other products. She said dark blue has always been a troublesome color due to the compounds needed to make the blue "dark". It's sad, because it's a nice shade on the Super Duty trucks - Dodge dropped dark blue after 1995 and hasn't used it since.
  • kotakota Member Posts: 8
    I understand the 4wd long bed has a problem when installing a hitch for a gooseneck trailer? Something about the bed having to be lowered? Would appreciate some facts on this before I order. Many thanks.
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    I talked with my dealer today and asked him how much the factory warranty extention would run me for my new super duty. He said: nothing, Ford will not sell you an extention on the super duty. Any one else hear the same thing?. I want the E.S.P from Ford.
    Well guys, just went out this eve & put in an order for an F350, VIOLET, the mgr wanted a bigger deposit (in case he had to unload it later) :->) That lasted about as long as my question as to what interest he wanted to give me on my money for the possible 16 week wait. But I'm excited; now to hunt for gooseneck trailers!
  • nascar6nascar6 Member Posts: 113
    Kota,

Good to hear another "Edmund's Academy" student tell the dealer to 'stick it' with his bigger deposit!!!
  • queenmsqueenms Member Posts: 26
    I am being told by Isbell Ford in Oklahoma that the F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 172" WB Diesel 4x4 Dual Rear Wheel truck will NOT come with the 3.73 Limited Slip Axle combination. He said that the 3.73 axle ratio will only be available in the regular style, no limited slip will be available.

Can anyone help me with information on this?
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    I have an ESP, $50 Deductable on my diesel '99 F-250. Cost was about $2300 for 6 years / 100K miles.

On the rear end ratio. Mine was ordered and delivered with a 3.73 limited slip. BUT the truck is a F-250, super cab long wheel base.

Rich
    Well I'm getting closer. I just spoke to the sales mgr. and the truck is being assembled now and the ETA is still 7/6, right around the corner! With a little luck I should have it on time or atleast later that week.

Mroffshore
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I ordered my F-350 4x4 from Isbell with the 3.73 limited slip, but it was a SRW. My guess is that it's because of the DRW that you can't get the limited slip. When we talked about the limited slip before, we found a couple of sites that showed what models would have the limited slip. We either talked about it in this topic or the other Superduty topic. You might scroll back through some of the previous responses and check out those sites.

Did you order through Isbell? My salesman, Danny Ware, said he has 16 orders pending. I'm at 13 1/2 weeks and Ford still hasn't pulled my order. I brought up the subject of dealer priority numbers and that I figured Isbell assigned me a low one because of the price I got. Danny said that the priority issue was definitely not causing the current holdup. I doubt a salesman would admit it if it were true, so who knows? Once they pull the order, I probably still have 4-6 weeks. It looks like it will be August for me.
    richflynn, Are you sure the warranty you got on yours is from ford?. The dealer still says no way. I forgot to ask him if it is availible on deisel trucks but not gas ones from the factory. I got the V10. Thanks.
    Re: Limited slip rear axle. I ordered the 4WD, dually & have limited slip, tho it is the 4.30 axle ratio. This is on a F350 Crew Cab with long bed. Hope this helps on decision making
    I've looked at the Meadowlands Ford page & confirmed that without a doubt that the 3.73LS is not an option on the F-350 model I will order in August. So I am left to wonder how much fuel mileage I give up if I go to 4.10LS. I'm told that I can expect to lose 1-2 mpg for the higher gearing. Since I intend to purchase the 4x4 I wonder how much of an issue the LS really is. . .
    Markus, All I can tell you is that my son got the limited slip on his wife's Saturn last year (snow is not her strong suit) & before buying we took it out on an icy road & it would not let you spin the tires. Granted our pickups, esp with dually's should be more stable from the get go, but I'm sure glad I added the ABS to my Jeep Grand Cheerokee when it first came out in 92. They have saved me from a couple of accidents! Of course, after being a stew for the airlines, I've often been accused of being a little tooo safety concious.
    rite3,
    Yes! It is the ESP from Ford. I just got the letter from Ford telling me that I have the ESP. They're doing it differently since my '92. There are no plastic credit like cards nor special books. It is all done by VIN in the Ford computer. This tells me that they're keeping much better track of mileage and 'do-overs' on the warranty repairs.
    Rich
    Well, I now have a rail car number to go along with my VIN # and a delivery set for 7/5-7/8. Sounds too good to be true. I just hope that every thing I ordered came through and no other snags. Hopefully I'll be bragging by this time next week!

Mroffshore
  • pswannpswann Member Posts: 10
    Just got a call from my dealer (Covert Ford in Austin, TX) who told me my 99 F250 CC V10 (lt. Prairie Tan) is on a rail car! Still not expected for another 20 days, though. If it gets in when expected it will have been exactly 12 weeks from order to delivery. Not too bad, but they told me 8 weeks when I ordered and, like a fool, I believed them.

I'll report back when it gets here. Meanwhile, I'm keeping up with everyone else's progress. This site (and all of your posts) has made the waiting easier.
    There is one important thing about getting your truck delivered. A truck takes as much space as a couple of cars on the haulers.

Encourage your dealer to yell at the Ford preparation center to insure that your truck is placed on the hauler. If the hauler driver has their way, they'll leave it for a split load and for some one else to haul. I get the impression that the hauler drivers get paid by the vehicle and not the weight of the vehicles.
    Rich
    Thanks for the tip, Rich. There's one more thing I've been meaning to ask everyone. When the truck gets here I plan on having a spray-in bedliner installed. I've seen two brands heavily advertised: Rhino and Line-X. Anyone have opinions about or experiences with either one? (apologies in advance if this topic has already been covered. I've been reading the board for the past few months and haven't seen it in that time).
    Lots of discussion on spray-in liners in the "Truck Accessories" topic a few months back. Line-X has a website, which has some decent information. I'm not sure if Rhino does. I called the Rhino 800 number and they sent me a sample, along with a list of local contractors.
    Thanks, Brutus. The posts in "Truck Accessories" pretty much answered my questions.
    Professor Rich,

Thanks for that info. I think if I called the dealer and told him what you said, he would think this guy must be desperate for that truck! HAHA
    Hopefully there will not be a problem. He assured me it would be in between Sun and Wed. of next week. We shall see! I'll tell you what, I really learned alot about this whole process because of you guys. One thing that really stands out in my mind, the dealer does have more influence then I originally thought in terms of getting your vehicle built and delivered.

Mroffshore
  • sundancesundance Member Posts: 14
    Finally, I hope. Ordered my 99 250 4x4 CC V10 long wheel base on March 6. Tuesday I got a VIN NO. and build date of Aug. 27 to Sept. 3 and a delivery date of Sept 10 to Sept 17, unless there are hold ups. My delays were due to Ford having a question on the order, giving it a 99 (hold) status and not notifying the dealer.
    sundance, I ordered june 6th and although mine got picked up right away, I still havent heard anything else. My dealer said that the dual airbags will be standard from now on but he could not tell me if I would recieve a discount on the truck because I am paying for the pass airbag.

All, If any body else has heard of a discount for trucks ordered with the pass airbag prior to making them standard, please let me know. Thanks to all.
    Has anyone heard if the GM strike is directing more fleet traffic to Ford? I am getting ready to take the plunge next month . . .

I would like to be able to project a delivery date and if more fleet traffic is headed Fords way I want to order a week or two earlier.

On the Passenger side air bag issue, my order confirmation quote of (6/24/98) from Isbell Ford shows the Option# 552 - Passenger Side SRS at No Charge.
    August issue of Car and Driver tests an F350 SuperCab XLT longbed dually, with the V10 and the 4R100 automatic. Pretty good test - they didn't try to make it seem like a giant car; they treated it as a heavy duty truck.

Ironically, the test truck is the deep blue that seems to be no longer available, and it looks pretty good.

They did mention one down-point, and it's something I hate about my Ram too - that ridiculously small bottle jack. It barely lifted my friend's Mercury Cougar two weeks ago, so I immediately went out to stores pricing hydraulic floor jacks (and the full-width bed-toolbox I would need to bring it with me). Even though my Chrysler road service is good for 7 yrs/100K miles, I'd just as soon change the tire and get going myself.
    I'm at 15 weeks and counting. However, there is a silver lining. Actually, I may be lucky because of the delay. I know, it's hard to believe. What happened was that I have been pondering some career option this year, and recently made the final decision to move back to Alaska at the end of the year. After making this decision, I started thinking that it might be worth looking into getting my truck camper sooner, rather than later.

I called around and got preapproved for a combo truck/truck camper loan rather than just a truck loan. I immediately got on the phone to my dealer and asked if it would be possible to add a couple of options without losing my place in line (as if it really matters). So, I added the Camper Package and the power trailer tow mirrors. Considering the weight of these campers, I considered adding the duallys, but I really didn't want the 4.30 ratio.

I'm in the market for a new truck camper and am open to suggestions. My price range is around $20,000, but I could go a little higher if it was something I really liked. It's got to be able to handle cold climates, since it will likely get some winter use in Alaska. I've heard good things about Bigfoot, Lance, and Fleetwood. LIke I said, I'm open to suggestions.
    Brutus,

Congratulations ! Hopefully I will be making the same move North here soon. I've applied for a job at the pipeline pumpstations that a friend there has recommended me for. (That is if I can pry the wife out of South Texas) Anyway here are a couple of sites to check out.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

http://www.shastaind.com/

http://rvusa.com/

http://www.rvamerica.com/dealers/index.htm

http://rvamerica.com/AllSeasonsRV/jayco.htm

I know a lot of people up North who own the Jayco brand and like them. There's a lot of different brands in use in Alaska so just be sure to tell whoever the manufacturer is that it will see use in Alaska and will warranty it for such conditions. That should cover you.
    Thanks for the site references. I took a look at them. Most seem to be geared towards trailers, fifth wheelers and motorhomes. I'm shopping for pickup campers. I'm not sure Jayco makes one of those. As you know from living in Alaska, I'll eventually need to have the ability to transport my camper and the boat I am sure that I will eventually buy.

Someone on another website said that he has a 99 F-350 Crew Cab 4x4 diesel and his camper certification is only 1,800 pounds. Remember, we are talking cabover campers that go in the bed and impact the GVWR, not trailers or fifth wheelers that will be towed. The majority of the campers I have been considering are in the 2,500 - 3,000 pound range. Granted, I will have a Supercab and a V-10, which will increase my payload capacity over his truck, but it's unlikely that I will be able to keep the total payload under 9,900 with a camper that size.

Ford indicates that the remaining payload after the weight of the truck itself is 4,186. So, the total camper weight (including options and contents of the camper tanks), the weight of my gas, the weight of my gear, as well as my weight and the weight of my passengers all need to be less than 4,186. I see the potential for some problems in the future if I am exceeding that weight on a regular basis. At the very least, I suspect there might be some handling problems.

So, with this information weighing heavily on my mind, I changed my order this morning. I opted for the F-350 with the duallys. This increases my payload capacity by 1,100 pounds, so I can haul any size camper. I also added the camper package and the power trailer tow mirrors. This increased the dealer invoice price of the truck by about $1,500 to just over $30,000.

I found out that the truck came standard with the 3.73, but not in the limited slip. The limited slip is going to be essential in Alaska with the duallys, whether driving on back streets with heavy snow or driving down that muddy road to the river. The potential to get stuck is too great to risk not having the limited slip. The sacrifice is that I had to go with the 4.30, which will probably cost me 1-2 mpg and will lower my top end speeds. Then again, it's not like you're speeding along in excess of 70 on too many of the roads in Alaska. The advantage of the 4.30 is that it will increase my combined vehicle weight to about 20,000, I believe. That will ensure that weight won't be a factor when I eventually get a boat to tow.

I have no idea how much this will further delay my order. I may get moved to the back of the line again. I've also heard that duallys with the Lariat package have taken the longest to get. The saga continues.....
  • SuburpanSuburpan Member Posts: 2
    Brutus,
    Are you saying that you can not get the 3.73 with the dually? 2wd or 4wd? I guess when I order mine I will have to go with an open diff., then install a air locker or something. The 4.10 and the 4.30 would be way to low a gear for my needs at the moment. The only way I could go with those ratios would be to order a F-450 or F-550, then install a two-speed axle. That would be great 6sp and 2sp, cool, then a aux. overdrive, boy I am going to be shifting a lot.
    I know that the limited slip is not available with the 3.73 on the dually 4WD F-350. I'm not sure about the 2WD dually. You might check out Kelley Blue Book's site to see the options. If the option for a 3.73 limited slip is not listed, then it is likely not available.

I would have preferred the 3.73, but I'm warming up to the 4.30. It won't be noticable on the Alaskan roads since there are few places you will be able travel at high rates of speed. I certainly shouldn't have any problems climbing through any of the mountain passes with a load. The biggest noticable difference will probably be the mpg when empty. On the other hand, when I've got a load, I might actually do a little better in that category.

I have to admit that I was a little surprised to find out that a SRW F-350 was not capable of carrying any truck camper out there and remain within the acceptable GVWR. Obviously,a lot of people do it anyway.
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    Brutus,
    Do you think that Ford might intentionally lower the F-350 SWR GVWR so people might not be inclined to make an ambulance out of it? Or maybe to reduce possible law suits from rollovers (ie. tall campe on single wheels is less stable) by inexperienced drivers?
    Just thinking,
    Ryan
    Brutus,
    I have the 4.10 Limited Slip Axle on my order sheet, Option # XF2 I intend to pull a 5th wheel Travel Trailer home and wanted the limited slip for being back in icy road country. I can relate to the need for pulling a boat. I will have to pull mine back to Homer after I get a slip in the Small boat harbour after I am back up there. I can say with confidence that "Caveman" is a good brand of slide in camper. I know two guys up north that have owned them for years.
    queenms,

My dad pulls a 35 foot fifth wheeler with his 97 F-350 Powerstroke and feels the 4.10 is essential for that type of load. He's put over 30,000 miles on his truck already, most of it with a trailer in tow. He says that he loses a little gas mileage and top end speed with the 4.10 when driving empty, but he likely gets better gas mileage with a load, because the truck isn't working as hard with the load as a truck that has the taller gear.

Unfortunately my dad has a 2WD, because Ford wasn't making the dually with 4wd at that time. He lives in Eagle River, but parks the truck in Ohio during the winter. As you know, a 2WD pickup is pretty worthless in the winter in Alaska. It's even worse with a dually. There is no way I would have changed to a dually if I could not get 4WD. I'm glad Ford decided to offer the 4WD dually with the new SuperDuty trucks.

Airwolf,

I think you're exactly right about Ford setting the limits for liability purposes. I'm not sure the ambulance application applies, because they specifically say that the truck is not to be used for that purpose. However, the center of gravity issue becomes more important as the weight increases, so I suspect Ford identified their GVWR with that in mind. I also think it has something to do with the warranty. I suspect that alot of pickups with campers are over the GVWR, so I'm sure the trucks can handle more than the GVWRs identified by Ford.

For me personally, the duallys seemed to make sense since they offered it in 4wd. I started thinking about all of the dirt roads I use to get to my fishing places in Alaska. They are muddy, but none are too narrow that I couldn't get in with my dually. Plus, anywhere you can get your truck camper into, you can get a dually into. The big advantage of the dually will be on the highway with the camper on. The ride quality and stability should be a lot better than a SWR.
  • joejoe Member Posts: 16
    I am having a hard time beliving this statement from Brutus:

I have to admit that I was a little surprised to
    find out that a SRW F-350 was not capable of
    carrying any truck camper out there and remain
    within the acceptable GVWR. Obviously,a lot of
    people do it anyway.

To find out what size load you can carry call you local Ford dealer and ask him to pull the invoice for a truck that is out fitted close to what you want. Some where on the invoice will be the curb weight of the truck. This is just the weight of the truck as shipped from the factory. Take this weight and subtract it from 9,900 (for a F350, or 8,800 for a F250). This is how much weight the truck can carry and still be under the GVW. I asked my dealer to do this before I order my truck and we came up with 3100lbs. This was for a F250 4x4 extend cab V10, auto and power stuff package (607).
    If your dealer doesn't want to pull the invoice he should also have a work book that lists every option that is available. You can then go though this and get an idea of how much your truck will weigh.
    This was the way that I was told to find out what the cargo cap. of these trucks are, if I am wrong please correct me.
    As for light weight campers check out Lance they have some that are around 1800-2600lbs.

Joe

Joe
    Joe,

The payload capacities for the 98/99 Ford trucks is on the web at:

www.fordvehicles.com/worktrucks/sup_weight1.html

It identifies the remaining payload capacity for the vehicle you mention as 3,165 for a short bed and 3,075 for a long bed, so the numbers match the info you got from the dealer. Remember that the 3,100 pounds is not the size camper you can tow. The 3,100 pounds includes the weight of you and your passengers, all your gear, your gas and the contents of the tanks in your trailer.

My point was that it just never occurred to me that a one ton didn't have the capacity to haul any size truck camper. I figured a one ton without duallys could handle just about anything. I hadn't done any research. Once I started doing research, I learned different. By changing my order from SRW to DRW, I increased my available payload from 4,165 to 5,300. Now I can carry any size camper.
    Brutus,

1) The reason I got the Ram when I did is exactly what you ahad said a couple of posts up - Ford didn't make a 4x4 dually until now, and a conversion (Centurion, etc.) was $5000.

2) Don't forget those payload ratings on the Ford page are for base engine and transmission with XL trim. A Powerstroke drops that payload big time, as does the upper trim levels with all the extra insulation and creature comforts. My Ram's payload just from the engine is reduced 500 pounds compared to the same truck with the 360 V8.
    I ordered the V-10, so I won't see the significant drop in payload that the diesels have. I ordered the Lariat, but I'm not sure that makes the truck very much heavier. The 4x4, the extended cab, and the duallys all add weight, but those are factored into the numbers.

Like I said, I didn't do my homework. I always planned to put a camper in the bed. That is why moved up to the 1 ton from the 3/4 ton I have now. I guess I figured that since I had seen the 3/4 and 1 tons towing those big fifth wheels, I figured a truck camper would be a piece of cake. Of course, the reality is that I was comparing apples to oranges.

The figure that mattered for my intended use was GVWR. Trailer towing is dependent on tow capacity. Duallys inrease max payload (GVWR), but don't increase tow capacity. If I've got a heavy camper on the truck, I can still tow a heavy trailer as long as I don't exceed the GCWR. That won't be a problem for what I plan to tow.

I would have managed with the SRW I had originally ordered. I just would have ended up with a lighter camper. In some respects, the SRW would have been preferred. I'll be interested to see how well the duallys do in snow and mud when the truck is empty. I suspect it will do just fine with the 4WD, limited slip and A/T tires. Regardless, my real use for the truck is for camping, fishing and winter sports. Getting the toys through the mountain passes and to the river is why I need the big truck. The duallys make sense for those purposes.
  • brandotbrandot Member Posts: 9
    I got great news today. My F-350 Super Duty, CC, SRW, Lariat with PSD is in! Eight weeks and three days from date of order. Hope it lives up to my expectations. I'll be pulling a travel trailer for now and a fifth wheel in the near future. Hang in there guys, they eventually get in. I got mine for invoice at Colorado
    River Ford in Needles, CA. I live in Vegas so it'll take a couple of hours driving to get it. No one in Vegas wants to deal. The drive is well worth it!
    Congrats Brandot! When you take delivery would you give us a post on how they did with your order (i.e. how much of what you wanted came through as ordered)? I have a F-250 CC V-10 due to the dealer on July 22 and am beginning to worry about getting everything I specified on my order (after reading some horror stories). In the meantime, happy driving.
  • footefoote Member Posts: 11
    Ok guys! I ordered an F250 4wd auto w/7.3 power stroke. It will be Super Cab short box, with at265 tires and a 373 limited slip rear. Has anybody got one with that set up, so they can tell me what kind of fuel mileage they are getting. Would like some kind of idea on what to expect.
  • brandotbrandot Member Posts: 9
    My F-350 CC, Lariat with PSD is sitting in my driveway!! Eight weeks and four days from placing the order until it's home. It's a beutiful rig. The two tone adds a lot. It came EXACTLY as I ordered it. Nothing was left out. The dealer was 110 miles from Las Vegas, so I got to get the feel of it on the road. It was great. Really cruises well. The ride is very good for a one ton. It's difficult to keep it at 65 on the open road. It wants to go faster. So far I'm very pleased. The dealer was great! We even left there with a new Mustang GT convertible for my wife. Got it at invoice and the factory incentive of $750. Had a great day!
    Brutus, professor Rich and the rest:

Day 187 Mroffshore is no longer being held hostage!!!!! Exactly 6 weeks and 3 days on the reorder it came in Wed. f250 lariat cc, long bed, auto desiel. To sum it up awsommmmmmmmmmme! It is everything I expected and more. I feel like I'm in a tank that handles like a well engineered truck! Hunter green is a nice color and a good choice. It looks like a dark teal. All the options came in as ordered. Only one disappointing situation. I ordered the trailer tow pkg. not realizing when I reordered the truck that does not mean a hitch. Someone dropped the ball on the hitch. I pointed out to the dealer that the first truck had the hitch and my second truck did not. There was nothing they could do because technically I did not pay for the hitch. I did tell my dealer I wanted the hitch months ago, I guess they forgot to add it on the reorder. Now I have to take it to a camper store and pay much more for the hitch bracket. I guess you would call it a class 4 hitch. I was not happy about that.

I will say this, these trucks are awsome, and I would not own any other! I also had the spray in liner done today and it looks great. Man does this truck turn some heads, everyone loves it!

I can't thank Brutus, professor Rich, rite3, pworange,kcram and anyone else with input, for all your help, sincere suggestions and info! You guys helped me get through the long weeks and also built my knowledge and understanding of the desiel and the new truck line tremendously.

Any suggestions on the tow hitch? Towing small boats and trailers from time to time and may need to move a Ford tractor front loader with a brush hog that rides on a 6 wheel flat bed. I would like to get something installed next week. One placed recommended a 10,000 to 14,000 with the weight distributer ect. Priced at $370 installed and about $240 for the next size down which was rated 6 or 8,000 lbs. I can't remember exactly I'll check again on Monday. Thanks again!

Mroffshore
  • elkslayerelkslayer Member Posts: 1
    I am very interested in buying the 1999 ford super-duty 250 extended cab 4x4. My only concern is with engine to get with it. I would like to get the v-10, but don't want to go broke at the pump. How does the gas v-8 hold up with a truck this size? I know if you want the horses you need to feed them, but I heard the v-10 only gets 9 miles to a gallon, is that true?
  • troutfshrtroutfshr Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing a new pickup in the next year or so(don't want to rush into it). Have been considering the 1999 F250 Crew Cab because of the 4 full size doors and the extra room. But this maybe too much for pulling a small camper not to mention the poor gas mileage. Would get the 5.4 V-8 if I did pruchase one. The Dodge Quad Cab looks to roomier than a Ford Super Cab and might be alternative to going to the big Crew Cab. Has anyone gone through this process on deciding which one to buy. Both companies are indeed proud of their trucks as reflected in the pricing. Any helpful experience will be appreciated. Thanks!!
This discussion has been closed.