Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Do you think Honda will ever make a pickup?

weasleweasle Member Posts: 24
edited March 2014 in Honda
I think we will see something similar to an Explorer Sport-Trac built off of the Pilot platform. I don't expect a solid axle work truck anytime soon.

Comments

• ricschricsch Member Posts: 540
    Good question, if they can come out with a "real" truck with a full frame and can keep it as reliable as their cars, it would sell. Toyota trucks seem to run forever, and I'm sure a Honda would also!
  • polsenpolsen Member Posts: 25
    I've read that Honda will be marketing a car based small to midsized pickup soon within 2-4 years. They have investigated a full-sized pickup but not planning to produce it for 5-10 years.
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Go to http://www.autonews.com/article.cms?articleId=39784. You'll have to register, it's free. Basically they want something like the sport trac. It won't be based on the pilot.
  • odmanodman Member Posts: 309
    Do you think it could be an Element-derived pickup? That might make sense from a packaging/styling point of view.
    I have no idea. But I think the Element would be too small for useable bed, both width and length.
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    until they build a V8! Considering their recent statements abour the redesigned RL, and the big 6 they'll put in there (no 8), I wouldn't hold my breath on a pick-up friendly engine. And where would they get the truck frame? The Odyssey?
  • whothemanwhotheman Member Posts: 169
    until they build a V8! Considering their recent statements abour the redesigned RL, and the big 6 they'll put in there (no 8), I wouldn't hold my breath on a pick-up friendly engine.

And where would they get the truck frame? The Odyssey?
    The pickup they build would probably be a large compact pickup like the dakota. So a v-8 isn't necessary.
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
    If Honduh (Sorry about the Spelling, I did it on purpose) doesn't buld one soon, the name will go to the dogs. It's bad enough that their "reliability" is questionable these days, not typical of what you would think of Honda. Car-Based Pickups make no sense, Americans surely won't buy them, remember, we need:

1. Big V8
    2. Or a huge torquey V6
    3. Something that won't break in half when you try to tow something, we need a FRAME!
    4. Leaf Springs, no truck with a full size bed is right without them. Some people don't just put groceries in the back.
    I can't think of anything else.

Honda, if you're going to do it, hurry, even Kia's thinking about the pickup, you'll be late to the game if you let them beat you. The pickup will have 3 of the 4 Requirements, yours won't. (It'll be missing the big V8)\

BTW: The Dakota is a Midsize Pickup.
    Thats just what I call them (also edmunds). Compact instead of medium.

The Hummer pickup (up to 12,100gvwr) uses 4 wheel independent suspension. The bed isn't 8ft but thats because they want to keep the overall length short for good offroading.
  • bowkebowke Member Posts: 169
    handa has been late in the game for just about everything...minivan...12 years late...mid-size suv...12 years late...just building a car in the US? 70 years late...they are doing just fine and i expect no less if they decide to get into the pickup market...if they decide to do it, it will undoubtedly be the best truck available, as everything else they build is too.
    Their first odyssey was hardly a success. The current odyssey still isn't rated very well by CR. I can think of many improvements for the 02 crv in my driveway. The pilots pretty good, but still not perfect. I also have improvements for Acura vehicles. Their truck will probably be just like Honda's other vehicles, well rounded, but doesn't stand out anywhere, and not perfect. Just my opinion.
This discussion has been closed.