Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hmm, I dunno anyone who has gotten killed by one person taking off their catalytic converter on a car that wasn't even worth the price of the cat itself. However I do know of people killed by speeders. You make your decisions and I'll make mine...

-mike
  • dukephotodukephoto Member Posts: 49
    I wasn't preaching about it being legal or illegal- merely trying to inform him of the fact.
    However, we ALL have to breathe the stinking, rotten polluted air a car without a cat would put out. My daughter is only six, it would be nice if she inherits a planet worth living in (which would include air to breathe).
    But on a car not worth the price of a cat, is it really right for someone to have to put a cat on it when the cat would be worth more than the car iteself? I mean if someone has a car, that's worth about $200, do you think a) they can afford to put on a $300 cat? b) do you think it's right to force them to put on said $300 cat? I'm more for the spirit of the law, not the letter of the law.

-mike
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    Yes.

Ross
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    If the cat is worth more than the car then junk it.

A $200 car is more likely to need a cat than a newer car and I also like breathing cleaner air particularly since I suffer from asthma.

Cheers Pat.
    I guess you don't care that someone with a $200 car probably can't afford another car. And they say I'm a Conservative Republican. I thought that tree huggers that loved the environment also were supposed to be compassionate toward others? hmmm interesting :)

-mike
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    And you apparently only feel it necessary to comply with those laws that don't inconvenience you. Hmmm interesting ;-)

-Frank P.
    What are laws? We don't need no stinking laws. :)

And yes all my cars have all their cats on them even though I'd perefer it not that way.

-mike
    I do not make any apologies for caring about the environment, it is time we all did our part to reverse the destruction of this planet we are living on.

You need look no further than LA. where they will pretty soon need to wear gas masks full time because of the bloody smog, is this what you advocate by saying removing a cat. converter is no worse than speeding.

Cheers Pat.

PS. I can Identify with only being able to afford a clunker I have had my share but they were all safe and would have passed emissions.
  • rplumrplum Member Posts: 48
    Good luck trying to find a reputable shop that will remove your cat and weld in a straight pipe. I believe that if a shop in Michigan were caught doing such a thing the fine runs in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

to each their own, but it's not just as easy as walking in and asking for a catless track pipe.

RP
    I guess as we get stricter regulations on emissions, we should outlaw older cars? For instance, if next year there is a law that requires cars to be XYZ compliant, we should force people with older cars not compliant with that new emissions std. to be taken off the road? Same could be said for people like me who drive 50K a year. I put out a lot more pollution than someone who drives the std. 12-15K...

My point is that if you have a clunker, and it's your only transport, there is no reason to not do a patch job til A) you can afford a better car B) the car dies and you have to replace it anyway.

-mike
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    scaled for the age and mileage of the car (at least in NY)? How about getting these companies to offer low level sulfur diesel so we can start seeing some diesels. How about changing the laws so that SUVs and trucks meet car emmission standards.

Greg

-Intended to change the subject. ;)
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Actually, removing the cat would create lot more carbon monoxide, so a car running in a closed garage could, in theory, cause asphixiation.

I have asthma too. :-(

Emissions regs are not retroactive. In fact, that's why drag racers love classic cars, because they can pretty much do whatever they want with them.

-juice
    At least in NYS, the car has to meet the stds. set forth in the year the car was produced, of course the only emissions tests in NY are in the NYC metro area. My '74 olds was the last year of no cats. It had 15' of straight pipe from the engine to the mufflers :)

-mike
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    In Washington (State, not DC) vehicles newer than 5 years or older than 25 years are exempt from emissions testing - the theory being, apparently, that new cars will pass anyway, and there aren't enough old rigs left to make that much difference in air quality, and those that are left would cost so much to bring into compliance that it would be a hardship on the owners. The test itself is $15, due every 2 years.

Before it "aged out" of the program, my 69 PowerWagon always passed... only because it had a chance to get running on all 8 cylinders between home & the test station! :)

Cheers!
    Paul
    Ironically the clunkers i owned which I referred to in post 3359 are now mostly sought after classic,s in Ireland and England.

One in particular which I bought for the princely sum of 30 pounds A 1953 Austin A40 drophead coupe is now worth many thousands of pounds.

One guy I read about in an english classic car book spent almost 30,000 pounds restoring one to new condition.

Cheers Pat.
    Gee, I wonder what my Datsun 210 would be worth! ;-)

-juice
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    juice - what year was that model? I've kinda lost track of Datsun, when they were still Datsun. Remember though, when Datsun was first introduced in Singapore, it was THE joke of the town. We called them "Biscuit Tin on wheels". When you pop the hood or remove the panels, you could see the labels of confectionaries on the other side of the sheet metal. Pretty colorful. :-)

-Dave
  • sibbaldsibbald Member Posts: 106
    Was that a cat fight? ;-)
    How could you. Shame. ;~)

Ross
    My father bought a Datsun 1200 back in the early 70's in reaction to the oil crisis. I'm sure it didn't weigh even 2000 lbs and was flimsy as heck but its reliability was bullet-proof. After driving it daily for almost 20 years, he gave it to my sister who drove it several more years until the body eventually rusted out completely (passenger seat fell thru the floor). The engine was still running fine though.

What does this have to do with Subarus? Hmmm, well their both Japanese car companies... Which one made it to the States first? Datsun I suspect. What was Subaru's first vehicle sold in the US? (The first I can remember was the Brat)

-Frank P.
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    I have removed the converted from my mid 7-'s vehicle and did an emisison test, and it passed. The matter of fact removing the converted DID NOT change the emmissions.
    My 210 was a 1980 2 door coupe. RWD, too! Too bad it didn't have enough power to be as fun as the 510.

Subaru's first car here? Was it the 360? Maybe the GL sedan and wagon?

Here is the world's first sport utility wagon, from 1974:

-juice
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    penetrated with small, cheap cars and then moved upscale as their reputation grew. Guess who's using that same model now?

Greg
    Lemme see, Hyundai? Kia is still competing mostly on price, but Hyundai has made great strides to enter the mainstream.

-juice
    My family had a pumpkin orange B210, not sure what year but it was RWD, and 55hp. I wish we still had it, it got like 40+mpg and it was RWD!

-mike
  • david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    WAY before the BRAT, was the Subaru 360, I think it had to have been the late '60's. It made a Geo Metro look big, and weighed around 900-1100 lbs. Really funny advertising as I remember, involving a scantily clad model. Remember, this was the '60's. As you can imagine, the car was a joke, with all the American muscle running around.

David
    has a 1969 360 in the show room. It makes my old Mini Cooper look big and sturdy. It looks to be nearly mint. I'll Take a snap one of these days.

Ross
  • joseph50joseph50 Member Posts: 235
    Comments on the advisability of chaining the tires on a Forester before an impending snow storm? Would they mess with AWD drive train so much as to void a warranty? If it is possible, would all 4 tires have to be chained?
    Thanks,
    Joe
    I don't think there is clearance for traditional chains. You have about 1/4" to 1/2" in some spots.

Try Z chains, the lower profile sort. Anyone have links?

-juice

PS I would chain all four
    I never heard of Z chains, but I just learned something from

www.vulcantire.com/chainfaq

What do you think, juice, are those described clearances feasible for a Forester?

Joe
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    On the subject of removal of catalytic converters, I'll offer my opinion: Don't do it. I live in So. California and have seen the improvement in air quality over the last 30 years - yes, I'll say improved! While driving through LA is never pleasant, it used to be a lot worse with immediate fumes on the highway from all the vehicles, and the visible smog in the air from all sources. Now the air is still smoggy, but not as oppressive as I remember (I'll admit to possible selective memory, but this is my opinion) and the breathable quality at road level is also much better. Legal or illegal, we all have to answer to our own conscience, and on something like this I won't hold your decision against you.

The B210 is not necessarily a dog, but I couldn't resist the heading. We also had one in our family, and I learned to drive a manual transmission in it. What a lightweight, really easy to drive car! It had little power, but the highway speed limit was 55 (most people drove only 60) and I had no business driving faster anyway. I remember flooring the gas, and well, nothing much happened except the car gained speed at a leisurely pace.

Steve
    Some clunkers will always be just clunkers the trick is to Know the difference obviously I don,t.

In My past life in Ireland I owned a 49 and a 50 A40 worth between 2,000 and 5,000 pounds now depending on condition, One 54 A40 in the same price range, also had two Morris minors and they are also fetching good money these days.

I also had various other clunkers that would still be clunkers if they were around today.

Cheers Pat.
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Is it me, or is Edmunds acting wacky today?

From http://www.cars101.com

"The first U.S. Subaru is a 360 Mini. This small rear wheel drive car had a 2-stroke, 25 horsepower 356 cc engine (thus the 360 name), weighed under 1000 pounds, got 66.3 mpg and cost $1,297. "

Dennis

Bingo - they call them Z-type cable chains. That's what I was talking about. Those ought to fit, but not the bigger, traditional ones.

On the 360, the price and mileage would be good! :-)

-juice
  • anibalbanibalb Member Posts: 193
    Hello Folks,

Had Subaru put on the shims and voila! No more squealing! I also muted the horn signal that turns on and off the alarm. It was too loud of a beep. Question, if I turn on my alarm and then I mess with the car it does not set off the alarm. The only thing that sets it off is if you open the door. Is that normal???
    When having the shims put on I asked service Mgr. if he recommended any synthetics. His reply was that Subaru does not recommend ANY synthetics. "Subaru doesn't condemn them but they don't recommend them either."

In any event, I just replaced my engine oil at 9K and used Mobil 1 synthetic 10-30. Also, changing the oil with that Fumoto valve is great. Too bad that the filter is such a messy ordeal. And finally, I am amazed that my dealer charged me $8 bucks for an oil filter.

I used the synthetic so I feel that I can definitely go 7500 miles between changes. But, do I still have to change the filter every 3K miles? What good is good oil and a dirty filter? Opinions welcomed.

Thanks.
  • rplumrplum Member Posts: 48
    Punch a hole in the bottom of the oil filter and drain with that. Works pretty good, you still may spill a little, but it's greatly reduced.....

RP
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Here's the link to SCC Chain:

http://scc-chain.com/products.htm

They make a variety of traction devices. I own the Shur Grip Z cables for my Forester and have used them with no problems. If you read through the manual, it tells you to use chains on the front wheels only.

Ken

Your alarm should have a shock sensor as well. Try this -- sit in your vehicle and arm the vehicle while you're in it. Give the steering wheel a nice firm hit with the palm of your hand. The alarm should sound if it's been calibrated properly. If not, there should be a knob on the alarm CPU to adjust the sensitivity.

Ken
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    I think the proper term is "brain". No idea why, but if you ever need to have any work done at a car audio / security shop, call it a brain and they know what you're talking about.

oh btw Ken, no luck on the stock shifter. sifted around in the garage a bit this evening and nope... it was 'wifed'. she must have figured that the kartboy would never break (it won't) and I'd never want to replace it (I don't!). sorry dude.

-Colin
    Kens thanks. But where is this alarm CPU located?
    A clarificatin, please. You said you use the Shur Grip Z cables, and the manual says use chains on the front tires only. Are you equating or distinguishing cables and chains? (Should I order a set of two cables, or four?)
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    I too, just went with the Fumoto value & Mobil 1 with my 01 OBW. I did it at the 10K mark.

Regarding your dealer's comment with synthetics, I truly believe it is who you talk to -- all they offer are their 'opinions'. For example, when I was shopping around for my Outback, one dealer said that he has a customer who buys a Subaru every 2-3 years, and at the first oil change, replaces the dino oil with Mobil 1. The dealer who I eventually brought my OBW from offers a Mobil 1 oil change -- abeit @ $50 -- yikes.

With the broader experience you will find here and at other Subaru newsgroups, I was reassured that many people have used and use it, and have gotten many miles with their Subs without any problems from it...
    Colin: No prob. Thanks for checking anyway!

Anibalb: In my Forester, the alarm "brain" (thanks, Colin) located under the dash near the steering column. I'm not 100% sure where it is on your OB. Does anyone here know? Maybe the dealer can help you.

Joe: Cables and chains are technically both traction devices. Although the manual states "chains" it's really calling for a traction device. The difference between the two are durabilility, ease of use/size and level of traction.

Chains typically are more tricky to put on although there are some fancy European models that are little easier. Because chains are bulkier, they are more durable and usually offer more grip. The biggest issue with chains is clearance. Many passenger vehicles don't have enough space around the tire to allow for a chain.

Cables are more compact and are usually a lot easier to put on. However, they don't offer quite the high level of traction as chains. My Shur Grip Zs go on super easy because they have a self-tightening feature. No need to stop and check for proper fit after 100ft.

Ken
    In Canada, our vehicles come with the cold weather package rather then the factory alarm. I had the dealer install the factory alarm after purchase and kept their Subaru technican's installation instructions.

With regards to the Shock Sensor Test,

1. Lower the driver's side window then close all doors.

2. Depress the LOCK/DISARM button on the remote to enter the armed mode.

3. Wait 5 seconds, then reach through the window and lightly strike the rim of the steering column
    (DO NOT hit the horn or AIR BAG!) and the following should be observed:

a. The horn will chirp 2 times.
    b. The parking light will flash 2 times.

NOTE: This is the shock sensor warning mode. For light vibration and/or impacts, only warning chirps are delivered.

4. Wait 10 seconds, then again reach through the window and firmly strike the rim of the steering column and the alarm should trigger.

NOTE: If the shock sensor sensitivity is too high or low, the sensitivity may be adjusted by following the procedure section 1.

anibalb - If after testing your alarm, you want to adjust it, check my profile and E-mail me. I will scan the pictures of the module installation and the instructions on how to adjust the shock sensor.

cheers,

Tom
    That would make me guess that the OB factory alarm is also mounted on the steering wheel. Try looking up under your dash -- it's probably tucked away in there.

Ken
    is mounted on the passenger side of the car radio bracket. Gearshift cover, tray, ashtray and centre console cover need to be removed along with the radio, C.D. etc. to access it.

Actually looks easier in the manual than it sounds.

The starter interrupt and horn relay is located under and to the right of the steering wheel column behind the dash panel.

Tom
    The starter interrupt and horn relay is located under and to the LEFT (drivers side) of the steering wheel column behind the dash panel.

If you are giving me directions while driving, just point - it works! :~}

Tom