Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    juice,

Welcome back. Yes, the engine turns over a lot quicker now. I guess the combination of my long commutes and mild weather out here contributes to longer battery life.

Ken
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Actually, Mike, it was "juicespec".

I merely suggested he remove and reinstall the entire intake once again, and when he did he found a loose vaccum tube that didn't appear to be loose when he'd checked it.

But we had live suggestions from Darlene, Colin, myself, and several others.

-juice
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    I had a couple of minutes here and I called your dealer. It seems that they have everything under control. The did review the situation with tech. and they had suggested replacing all of them. I'll try to find out why later on today.

Meanwhile, I think you'll be satisfied with what Van Bortle has done.

Thanks!

Patti
  • fudd2befudd2be Member Posts: 50
    Sorry for the long post!!

For info - the CE light was steady the whole way for the whole trip from Long Island to Rochester, but then it began to alternate between steady and flash on the short trip from my house to Van Bortel, after sitting for a day and a half.

I really have no reason to think any wrong doing on Van Bortel's part. I've had several face to face experiences with the owner, and have only had good experiences there. My concern was just that I did not understand what I did to have this happen, and therefore I do not understand what I can do to ensure it does not happen again.

Patti - I think my request to you and Van Bortel's decision 'crossed in the mail'. I called them this morning and they told me what they were going to do for me. Yes I am pleased, thank you. I am curious to hear from you, what they did have to say.

Thanks so much for looking into this for me.

-Howard
  • rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    I know that this has been mentioned before and I don't want to beat it to death, but I know of no other auto manufacturer that would offer that level of support.
    It was definitely a factor in our decision to buy another Sube recently. Knowing that, if necessary, there was someone at SOA who would take a personal interest if I had a problem is quite reassuring. Certainly Patti should not be the first recourse - I believe in giving the dealership the opportunity to rectify a problem. But, sometimes dealerships can be difficult to deal with...
    I don't post very often but in looking at the posts over the last week or so and seeing just how much Patti "has been on the case", IS reassuring.
    Yup, the whole Crew is pretty much right on... Patti Rocks!!
    Ron
  • russ9406russ9406 Member Posts: 30
    I have a 2001 Forester MT and had the CE light come on this past Saturday and it stayed on through yesterday, then it went off. I was at the dealer today and they found a code of P1445, they told me that I would have to bring my car back and leave it for three days so they could send the Computer back to SOA for a ECM reflash.

Has anyone heard of this before?
    Russ
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Russ- I know they've done that several times with the new 3.0 Outbacks but this is the first time I heard about it on a the Forester. I think SOA wants the computer so they can get the full readout of the problem. They may have spotted a trend and are trying to nip a potential problem in the bud. No sweat though, the dealer should give you a loaner and you can probably talk them into a free oil change for the inconvenience caused.

-Frank P.
    Praise for Patti is contagious around here and for good reason. It's nice to know that there is a real person who can help you when things get bumpy. It certainly makes me want to buy just Subarus!

Ken
  • yellowbikedon1yellowbikedon1 Member Posts: 94
    I can confirm what Frank wrote. Left my '01 LL Bean with the dealer, used a loaner, and had the Bean back on the third day. The onboard computer was sent back to SOA for replacement of chips. Never had a CEL problem again.

Don
    The dealer has offered a free loaner

Russ
    Well I got the car back tonight and everything is great. Maybe its my imagination, but it seems smoother and more powerful than before the injectors were replaced.

Patti - thanks again, your effort is much appreciated.

-Howard
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    "everything is great"....Com'on Howard not fair to seek advice on a problem..then not reveal how it played out.
    Why did the injectors fail? Did they cover it with warranty? Did they cut you a cost break?

Howard.....Howard......Howard
    But - it's a two way street. I really enjoy being a part of this group.

Thank you again.

Patti
    Sorry for the agg. with this. Your dealer should provide you with alternate transportation and I'd really suggest that you get it taken care of. From what I can tell, once it is "flashed" the problem does not happen again.

Patti
    Can I get some of those injectors? I want more power, too! :-)

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    That's it... a "Tim the Tool Man" option...
    more power!

Cheers!
    Paul
    Ok here are the details of my CE light experience:

Ok So I get a call from the dealer telling me the code is a misfire in cylinder 1. The service invoice says the plug wire was replaced because it ohmed out bad, but it did not fix the problem. I did not go any further down that path (I assume they know how to reset the ECU, etc).

So they asked my permission to replace the injector, but recommended all four be replaced at the same time. That sounded reasonable to me - so I OKed the $550 repair for all four.

Then, later that day, before I got back Patti's reply to my post, I was told by the dealer that they would split the repair 50/50. I thought that was nice, but I was still distrought over how this could have happened so soon!

Then I spoke to the dealer again (to let them know when I would pick up the car) and they told me "someone from Subaru by the name of Patti called here and arranged to have Subaru pick up the whole repair" They seemed surprised that someone from Subaru contacted them so quickly, as I was.

When the CE light came on my mileage was 38,000 so technically it was out of warranty, so I consider it a 'courtesy extension', well above the 'call of duty'.

I asked the dealer to be sure the fuel filter was ok, and to sample the fuel in the tank to determine its quality, and I am told it was ok. The technician seemed to feel that it was not a fuel quality issue. Their feeling was confirmed after I told them that I fill up between half a dozen stations, not only one and not only one brand.

Then I asked the advisor about dry gas - that is whether or not it is recommended to remove condensation that could cause corrosion. She told me that Subaru neither recommends nor warns against those products. I have not yet read the owner's manuel, though.

Anyone out there use or recommend fuel additives?

So I got the car back last night and have been driving it today. The repair thus far seems seamless.

That is how it transpired!!

Sorry for the long post!

-Howard
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Yet another victory for Patti. I'm not sure what Subaru pays her but I hope someone has some idea how much we appreciate her.

quote: my mileage was 38,000 so technically it was out of warranty

I still don't get this part. powertrain warranty is 5 years or 60,000 miles here in the US... and injectors better be part of the powertrain.

-Colin
    That's probably the argument Patti used to get it done for free. I'm sure she also slapped that dealer on the wrist for even trying to charge you.

Tune in next week, same Bat-time, same Bat-channel.

-juice
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Maybe Bob can design a "Patti" emblem that we can project up into the sky using a big search light whenever evil dealers attempt to mistreat us! :(o)

-Frank P.
  • lakepoplakepop Member Posts: 221
    Howard...Well OK....thats aces and I glad it worked out. Hope I didn't come on too strong..but I like to hear the end of stories. I thank you very much for you candid reply.
    As for Patti...well I guess we all put her on a pedestal. Just another success story for her and I hope she knows how much we all appreciate this kind of professionalism.
    I add my KUDOS to those already heaped on Patti. Subaru has a valuable resource in her!
  • vincer2vincer2 Member Posts: 97
    The reason the dealer needs to remove the computer and ship it back to SoA in Cherry Hill, NJ is because dealers don't yet have the technology to receive the downloads and apply the software updates themselves. I believe this capability needs to be provided by Fuji, rather than SoA.

As everyone probably knows OBDII supports software mods/reloads rather than the chip replacements that occurred with the previous generation of OBD.

vince
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I hope Subaru pays her damn good, She is one of the best things Subaru has going for it.

No amount of money could buy the sort of advertising that she does for them by her proactive approach.

Long may she continue to be an active participant on these boards, It is rare to see a car manufacturers representative be such an advocate for the consumer.

Cheers Pat.
    Hear, hear. Well said, Pat.

I wonder if all of our praise is getting back to SOA and reflected in her evaluation. Does anyone know?

Ken
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    organize an e-petition signed by all of the Crew. While Canadian, I still appreciate her contributions greatly and they were one more reason I wanted to by a Subaru even though I knew that she could not directly aid me should I need it. We Canadians do have Greg. I suspect that he does still lurk here sometimes, but it's not quite the same even though he was helpful to me.

Ross
    It really made my Valentine's Day. It is really rare to be in a position to get such positive feedback. To have a rough day and come home and read this means a lot to me. I'll do my best to not let you down.

In August I'll be celebrating my 20th year with Subaru. They take good care of me. Otherwise, I wouldn't hang around. It's hard for me to share your positive comments with my boss, but he does recognize the importance of this group. He also knows how I feel about you all.

Thank you for making my day so much better.

Patti
    All

Thanks for all the great advice. I have an appointment at the dealer on the 26th. I will post re: results/experience after I get my Forester back.
    I am not looking forward to driving a loaner.
    If anyone is interested my Forester is 18 months old and has 13,800 miles.

Russ
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I second the comments, Patti -- it sure makes a big difference to have real human contact with someone from Subaru, whether we're just car geeks or someone in need of help with a problem. It is a unique form of customer service that is rare in any business, especially the auto business. One more reason Subarus are more than just cars to me and a lot of other folks.

Re: the computer upgrade, I am amazed this cannot be done at the dealer. I think about the 5-6 times I have downloaded firmware updaters off the internet for things like PDAs, digital cameras, and computers, and find it hard to believe Subaru dealers can't do the same sort of thing. But maybe Subaru hardwired their algorithms into ROMs, in which case it might require a physical swap of parts. Still, you'd think they could setup an exchange program. Back when my 2000 Outback was recalled for a computer upgrade, they just swapped my computer with a revised one, in about 20 minutes.

Craig
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Well craig, if you'd like to have to "reboot" your car a few times a day, they can offer downloads! :) J/k

-mike
    Russ: CELs are really no big deal at all. I'm sure it was nothing (single misfire, bad gas, loose gas cap, etc.). A loaner can't be that bad just for a day, hang in there.

-juice
    Craig,
    I believe the OBDII architecture needed to follow guidelines setup by the fed gov't. If I remember correctly, the architecture specified that OBDII computers be controlled by upgradeable software so that if/when upgrades become necessary no hw components would need to be replaced including memory rom and any other firmware related devices.

During past problem resolution with my 2000 OB the shop foreman at the local Subaru dealer explained to me that the computers needed to be shipped back to SoA because the dealers did not have the capability to load sw onto the ecms.

The limitation is probably be in the handheld diagnostic computers the dealers buy from Subaru. Perhaps they need to be redesigned. These handheld devices interface with the ecm via standard rs232 connectors. I would imagine that any laptop with an rs232 connector and the right propietary sw should be able to load sw onto the ecm without removing it from the car.

Just my thoughts.
    Vince
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I had my ECU re-programmed @ Isuzu on my Trooper recently, so the technology is out there.

-mike
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I agree with you completely. We often download new algorithms into data acquisition computers at work, using nothing more than an old laptop and a RS-232 cable. I'm sure Subaru mechanics could handle it!

Now I'm wondering if I could talk to the ECM with a laptop . . .

Craig
    vince you're correct but once you put that capability into dealer's hands you actually put the capability in the hands of the public at large.

if subaru doesn't want hobbyists or the aftermarket dinking with its ECU programming, keeping the tool in Cherry Hill is one way to achieve that.

strangely, in the UK all dealers have this capability. although it is telling-- some aftermarket tuners have it too.

-Colin
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Maybe we could write an e-letter of some sort to her boss? Wouldn't it be the Head of Cust./Dealer Services?

-Dennis
    Colin,
    GM dealers can reload sw. There's probably some type of security that prevents "most" people from loading patches or new programs that could impact (maybe improve) performance but alter emission levels. Auto magazines used to offer replacement chips in the back page ads but I don't recall ever seeing anyone offering sw upgrades for OBDII.

I do believe in the future Fuji will be offering a similar capability to Subaru dealers that GM, and perhaps other dealers, already have.

Craig,
    Browse around the web. There are vendors that sell rs232 connectors for laptops and the diagnostic sw that gets loaded on the laptop for about $150. You need to find sw that works with the specific auto manaufacturer. Some vendors are now offering connectors and sw for Palms. Try searching on "OBDII tools" from Google or Lycos.

Vince
  • zscottiezscottie Member Posts: 23
    What is the recommended oil weight for a 98 Legacy 2.5GT Limited? The local dealer just told me 5W-30...I thought it's 10W-30. And, how is the proper weight determined?

Thanks.
    I believe it is 10w30 for all but the coldest climates, where thinner oils would be better.

-juice
    Actually, I would think it's 5W30 since the 98 GT uses the same Phase I engine as we do.

Subaru usually recommends 5W30 for it's recent models because it works for wide range of temperatures and it provide marginally better gas milage than 10W30.

Ken
    well-- it depends on where zscottie lives. we'd be recommending the wrong oil if he's in Phoenix for example.

-Colin
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    5W30 is the "preferred" weight listed in the manual for my car (97 2.2L) and my wife's (99 2.5L). That's for ambient temps of up to 104F. The manual then goes into the heavier weights for higher temps., severe driving, etc.

They usually recommend the oil with the best flow at start-up and the best mpg. Depending on your driving habits or where you live, the dealer may recommend 10W30.

Aren't manuals available on-line at mysubaru.com?

-Dennis
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Dennis- the manuals for your specific MY is available on-line. Somehow for me, I don't get what I'm suppose to get. The manual. Got to contact the Webmaster - I think Beth is still reigning. :-D

-Dave
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    A question was raised about the use of dry gas. Years ago this was a common question and I studied up on the subject. My organic chemistry is a bit rusty, so will try to do this from memory. Please forgive my chemical spelling as it is very late:

Most of these are simple alcohols that 'lockup' and disperse small amounts of water so that they are less likely to freeze in a line, or reach the engine as a concentrate.

The cheapest is methanol (CH3OH) (methyl alcohol) - wood based, maybe selling for as little as $0.35 cents per 12oz container. This was fine for mechanical fuel pumps and carbs of older American iron. Do not use it in a fuel injected car as methanol quickly damages rubber seals.

Gasohol is a mix of gas and ethanol (C2H5OH)(ethyl alcohol) using fermented feed grains like corn. Most seal materials can stand up to 10% ethanol by volume before getting into trouble.

Premium dry gas is an isomer (C3H7OH)(which carbon the OH group hangs off of) of propanol (propyl, or in this case, isopropyl alcohol). This is the $0.89 - $1.29 stuff. Last time this was in the news, most auto mfgrs weighed in with it being OK, but no more than one 12 bottle per tankful or so.

I use it occasionally, so hope this is still the correct info.

Steve
    steve--

I think you've got it right, isopropyl alcohol is sold under the brand name HEET (perhaps pure, perhaps a few additives). It does work very well.

-Colin
  • tlimatlima Member Posts: 124
    Hello, I've been away from the forums for awhile, but am happy to report my '01 Forester has about 20k miles with no major problems except one...

Recently, I've been noticing an occasional squeaking/screeching from under the hood, especially after short trips of 10-15mins. Today, I opened the hood and located the source of the noise as coming from the water pump/front pulley assembly. After longer trips, it is not that noticeable, but still there.

I'm going to make an svc. apptmnt next week, but was wondering if anyone has any idea if this is serious. Could the bearings/pump be failing?

Thanks, and it's good see all of the regulars are still here.

-Tony
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    Could be the pump, could be the pulley, could be the belt. Either way, it ought to be a warranty item. Keep an eye on the temp gauge between now & that service appointment!

Cheers!
    Paul
  • jimalex1jimalex1 Member Posts: 1
    I am new to this board. Came here to get some info on premature rear wheel bearing failure. I have a 2002 Forester S and am pretty sure have one or both rear bearings going quickly. Sounds like I have snow tires on or have left a rear window open, noise is quite intrusive above 40mph. It came on quickly one day - came off the highway and thought "good grief! what is that roar?" I Checked oil level in differential, rotated tires, then thought wheel bearings. Have less than 10K miles. Am recently familiar with Impreza problem after searching the web with Google. Several comments recommended the forums at Edmund's, so here I am.
    Anyone know the SOA technical release numbers that update dealers on proper repair technique? Before I take for repair I like to have all the information that is available since I guess I am somewhat paranoid about dealer technicians.

Regards
    Jim
  • lucien2lucien2 Member Posts: 2,984
    '99 Legacys apparently have not escaped the Phase I head gasket problem. A couple guys on the i-club Legacy board had thiers go. One of 'em at 43K. SO I might have about 2500 miles left myself..... :(
  • jeesoweejeesowee Member Posts: 3
    Any input appreciated! First let me explain the symptoms. When the car is cold (below 45 degrees F) it won't shift out of 2nd until the tranny (not the engine) is fully warmed up. It will run at over 3K RPM at 60MPH until it is warm enough to shift and then will run normally - 2,500 RPM at 70MPH.

This is actually the second Legacy I've had with this issue. (I had a third without the problem) The first was a '90 with 114K MI (I drove it this way until 180K before I sold it). The current one is a '93 Legacy with 82K. I bought it with 53K and experienced this from very the first winter I had it.

The tranny fluid is full and was changed at the 60K service. Thoughts?
  • skooterpieskooterpie Member Posts: 7
    Hello All,
    Just wondering if anyone knows anything about Quality Subaru Parts & Acessories. I remember ordering parts from Darlene at some decent prices. Lately I have not been able to access their site. Do they still exist. Is Darlene taking orders and can she be reached by phone? Thanks for any help!!!!
    /Scott