Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• celica115celica115 Member Posts: 169
    I will keep check the oil level from now on. Some infomation I want to connect from you guys. Which gas station (Mobil, Shell ... etc) you used to go? It is interesting. So far I have tried 3 different gas stations since I bought this car (11 months ago). I always use 93 and I have different result. Mobil = 17/local, 25/highway. Amoco = 19/local, 25/highway. Exxon = 20/local, 35/highway. Dose anyone try the new Shell's gas?
  • stoner420stoner420 Member Posts: 165
    in a wrx? are you sure that wasn't a typo..? I've personally never found exxon to be that much better than most of the other stuff around here (I usually use getty cuz it's much cheaper and works just as well) I do like Amoco, but I tried a tank (of the 93, only kind of high grade you pretty much find in SW CT really) and it didn't do anything better than the getty gas. Anyhow, this is probably getting off topic..
    I was driving from Queens to Riverhead. 2 hours driving at 70mph. You will feel a little bit better with K&N filter installed. How many MPG you have by Getty's gas? I would try on my next tank.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    Never experienced above 25 myself, but could see 35. If you have the cruse control pegged at 70 mph (tack is around 2600 rpms), constantly flowing, with a better Oil filter, I guess it could be possible.
  • oclvframeoclvframe Member Posts: 121
    I just finished performing a 30k mi service on my LLBean and thought I'd share the experience.

Originally I thought I'd just let the dealer do it since the 30k service on these cars is a little more involved than your ordinary FWD vehicle. But, when I saw the $500 price tag I decided that I'd do it myself.

I based what needed to be done on a combination of the recommended service by the owners manual and the recommended items from my dealer (Classic Cadillac and Subaru, Sandy Springs, GA).

The list included lots of the usual inspections, but, it also included flushing and replacing most of the vehicles fluids: Coolant, ATF, brake fluid, engine oil, and front and rear diff oil. It also included other usuals such as cabin air filter, engine air filter, oil filter. And last it included some not so usual...PCV valve.

I ordered all my parts from Liberty Subaru. I got a great deal on the parts including the general information section of the service manual (which is actually not necessary if you buy the H-6 supplement manual which is tremendously handy and comprehensive).

I started off early Saturday morning. I backed the Ody out of the garage and drove the Bean to dump the old oil I had in my catch pan and to get some distilled water to mix with the new coolant. The trip also served to heat up the engine enough for the fluid to be drained nicely. When I returned, I jacked the car up and stood it on 4 jack-stands in the middle of the garage. I proceeded to drain the engine oil first, then the front diff. Both were easy. The ATF was tough...not knowing how much I had drained, it was tough to get the level back correctly since it requires a hot engine that has been run through the gears to get it right...after draining some, then overfilling and a final additional draining, I got it to the exact level required...that took a few days of waiting for the oil to cool, then filling with the engine hot. I will know better next time.

The coolant was especially easy since it drains the entire engine from one location and since the filler nozzle is above any single part of the engine. I only added an addition cup or two to top it off once it'd had a chance to warm up and burp. The brakes went well too. I bought a turkey baster to suck the existing fluid I could out of the reservoir. I then refilled it with new fluid. I attached a 18" length of clear tubing to each drain nipple and opened all of them to let gravity do its thing. I refilled the reservoir numerous times (without letting it drain completely of course) and after about 4-5 refils I closed them all off and had my wife assist me with a typical break bleed proceedure.

I took advantage of all wheels being off the car to clean them up on the inside and out and rotate them.

Once off the jacks, I replaced the cabin air filter (which was dirty but not too bad). Of course, with as much bypass as it allows....well that is another story.

I have not replaced the air filter or the pcv valve because unfortunately, the wrong ones were sent. The good news, though, is that the correct ones are on the way along with a call tag for the incorrect ones. Also, since I had already replaced the engine air filter back at 15k, it wasn't tremendously dirty anyway. (BTW I did vacuum it off with a shop vac, as well as the inside of the filter box, before placing the filter back in.

So all in all, it went very well. I learned some things that will make the 60K mile service easier and saved a lot of money while doing it. I put Mobil 1 synthetic in the crankase as well as the differentials but just regular Dextron III in the ATF. I used Valvoline Synthetic Dot 3 fluid for the brakes and regular ole Prestone.

I strongly recommend the H-6 supplement manual since it covers lots of maintenance type issues as well as some serious engine tear-down/trouble shooting info. It can be gotten for about $90 from Liberty. The general info manual was not necessary but it only cost me $12.

I have always done most of the maintenance on my cars myself, but, at first I was intimidated by the thought of doing all this. Now that I have done it, I am glad I did.

-r
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Thanks for the service summary. Now I know what I have to look forward to. As well as a pretty good shopping list. 8~)
    Jim
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Bit,

Funny you asked about that filter crush washer - sorry been off this thread for a few days. I have a hard time with the way this site is organized and confess that in the couple months I've been here there have been a few times where I've grumbled to myself "Where was that thread about the Legacy heater bulbs I posted...?"

The reason it's funny is that yesterday I bought a couple more factory oil filters and I intentionally did not ask for the little seal crush washers they'd give me the first time. Sure enough the parts guy was careful to put one in with the filter and I asked him to again show me where it goes. It's a normal crush washer, and on the factory oil filter there's a circular depression it fits into around the threaded center hole. The bulge goes against the block as would be standard crush washer practice on a drain plug or other. So, seemed like unprompted reinforcement of this feature. I asked him why a Fram or other aftermarket filter for my car did not have this feature and he didn't know.

Before posting, I went to the garage and carefully looked at one, comparing it to the factory Toyota LandCruiser filters I also have out there. It's quite clear that the crush washer is a part of the Subaru filter design and without it there would be considerable bypass opportunity for the oil to avoid the filter as the result of a sizeable gap where the washer should be. The gap would be on the order of a sixteenth of an inch and that's a lot of oil bypass. By comparison, the LandCruiser filter (also a very high quality factory unit that I special order from a dealer who hoarded the last few hundred cases of the original good ones before Toyota sold out and went to a generic fits-all strategy a year ago) uses a metal flange that is clearly designed to mate with the same surface on the block the Subaru's does around the center threaded hole. The flange is designed to flex and create a tight seal as it contacts the block.

So, this is a very interesting finding and I'm glad you asked me about it. Next time I'm in the auto parts store, I'm going to bring a straight edge in and see if the aftermarket filters indeed would leave a gap as I surmise without some type of crush washer strategy. It would be a simple matter to see if they have a flexy mating surface, and if the filter's mating surface is close enough to the plan of the rubber perimeter seal to hit the block and seal off oil bypass. Can you imagine? The aftermarket filters could be made in such a way that they don't effectively filter due to their generic design?

On the 30k service described above - bravo! Well done. You didn't mention what you saved, but it has to be in the $400 range, eh? One quick comment - be sure to use the bleeder to purge any air from the cooling system if there is one - look for a black circular plastic piece the size of a dime with a deeply embossed cross on it. You used the word 'burp', so you may already know about this feature. Anyhow, well done.

IdahoDoug
  • aa717driveraa717driver Member Posts: 41
    I've run 93 premium in a variety of Lexuses over the past 7 years and found no difference in performance between cheapie stations and Shell, BP, etc.

My uncle was a Gulf Oil distributor and eventually went independent. He said his tank truck would pull up in line with the Shell and Standard(at the time, now Amoco/BP). They distributed the same fuel to all companies.

The power of marketing...TC
  • sophies_dadsophies_dad Member Posts: 5
    Several weeks ago I posted a litany of problems related to my '00 Forester. One of the primary problems is rear wheel bearings. SOA has not responded to my questions, so I am again turning to this forum.

I have had three right rear bearings replaced on my vehicle. This past Saturday I had the car at the dealership to have the catalytic convertor replaced under warranty and I asked them to checkout the noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The diagnosis was a failing LEFT rear wheel bearing. The service guy said to expect a $400 bill to replace the bearing.

Does anyone have any experience with after market bearings on this vehicle, i.e. cost & reliability? Does anyone have a good way to determine if the failing bearing is on the left- vs right-hand side?

I have been driving for 35 years. In all of that time I have had 5 wheel bearings go out - four of them were on my current vehicle!! I can't believe that I have just been lucky up to now - it's got to be the car!
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    who have had their bearings go out on pre - '01 Forester wheel bearings. It is a weakness in the car design that was fixed in '01.

Supposedly, either the current Imressa or legacy bearings would fit the Forester, and are much more stout.

If you scroll up a few posts (20+), this item is talked about at length.

I am sure some of the more informative and technical posters on this board can fill you in, and correct me if I am wrong.
  • ronc7ronc7 Member Posts: 2
    My 96 L wagon failed to re-start when "warm" and smelled of fuel. After sitting awhile, it started right up but had a check engine light. AutoZone read(and rest) the code for me (free) and it was P340 "cam pos sensor ckt fault". Dealer said I should change both Cam & Crank position sensors. This is EASY to do yourself (dealer wanted $120)
    which is crazy. A week later, ANTOHER check eng light .. this time 420 "Catalyst below threshold #1 side" ... I've had it reset but, suspect that this latest prob may be the result of the earlier one and hope it will "pass" (not come back "on").
    Any similar experience with multiple codes ??
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    What is your current mileage? If you are under 60k, the powertrain warranty may still apply.

Call 800-SUBARU3 and ask for them to open up a case. I bet they'll provide some help. At least push for the newer replacements.

-juice
    Ron,

I'm not clear on whether you replaced the cam sensors or??..

The second code could be the result of pumping raw gas into the cats, but I don't understand why it would have taken a week for the engine to throw a code or it.

IdahoDoug
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    It looks like Felicia is still working on your case. Monday's can get a bit crazy, but you should hear from her soon. Sorry for the delay.

Patti
  • hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
    Everything OK now? No explosions?

Howard
  • ronc7ronc7 Member Posts: 2
    Actually I did change the cam pos sensor and have no further occurance of that code (P340) AND... it was super-easy to do(a 5 min job). My new code (cat convertor below threshold # 1 side (#420)) may actually have been caused by cleaning my engine ? I recently used the Castrol SuperClean product (great stuff) and the high-pressure car wash spray to clean the whole engine compartment. Unfortunately, now I read that one should never get any cleaning solvents on the Oxygen sensor and wonder if this could be why i got the light.
  • gjoygjoy Member Posts: 2
    It went well except ...

I'm still furious that i couldn't remove the drain plug myself. Granted i was using just a short, cheesey socket wrench, but i couldn't budge the thing. Had to call a friend and he takes it off without missing a beat and patronizingly says "it was on too tight" ... uugh ... what's a girl to do ... more push ups i guess.
    Actually, it's just a matter of leverage. A longer handle give you better torque.

Or a breaker bar that can slide onto your socket wrench.

When you reinstall the plug, use a crush washer and only use enough torque to crush that washer.

-juice
  • grisgrisgrisgris Member Posts: 2
    I am the proud owner of a brand new '02 Outback. It's the first new car I've owned and has generated in me (for the first time) a desire to understand how the car works and how to perform maintenance on it. I've never even been interested in cars/motors/etc... before so I guess I'm a late bloomer. Does anyone have suggestions as to how I could learn basic Subaru maintenance short of taking a few months off from work and enrolling in a trade school?
    Try little things at first, using hints from here and i-Club.com. I'm self-taught and have done most basic maintenance, a little at a time.

First things first, you should change the oil at 3k miles. Go ahead and get a filter now, Purolator makes the OE filter, or grab one from a dealer. Plus 5 quarts of 10w30 oil, and oil pan, a crescent wrench to remove the drain plug. Grab a 17mm crush washer from the dealer or parts store, too. You may (or may not) need an oil filter wrench. I can usually get them out by hand. Make yourself a check list.

When you are ready, we'll show you photos and tips for changing the oil.

That ought to build your confidence. At 7500 miles you should do another oil change and rotate your tires as well. For that you'll need a torque wrench, and I'd recommend a floor jack, but I say tackle one task at a time, so don't worry about that until closer to the time you do it.

-juice
  • grisgrisgrisgris Member Posts: 2
    I'll be back when I'm closer to 3000 miles. Thanks for the info.
  • jfawbertjfawbert Member Posts: 1
    Hi, all.

First, good news! I'm looking at buying a 2000 Forester with 25k (UK) miles on the clock.

My wife and I are pretty made up about the car - right size, shape, versatility, kit - but (bad news) all the issues about wheel bearings are worrying me. I don't really want a car that requires me to spend $400 plus every 30k miles or so!

So I'd really appreciate some help with the following:

- When exactly did the bearing spec change between 00 and 01 models? Is there a VIN number from which they are OK? What is it?

- Is the new bearing/assembly available for fitment to an earlier vehicle?

- If so, is it standard procedure to do this on (warranty) failure on the bearings now? Or are the old sort still fitted? (I assume retrofit might be expensive if hub etc have to go)

- Does the tech bulletin issued on careful fitment of the old type of bearing mean that dealers can fit these accurately now?

- (I know this is difficult as I'm in UK) - is Subaru practice to replace bearings free of charge once the warranty has run out, given all the issues? Could/should I push for a warranty extension on these?

- I'm also keen to know if the clutch gremlins (seem to be on '98 models) was fixed by '00.

Many many thanks for any help you can give
    I hope to be a proud owner any time now...
    Jon
    Ron,

That was a little detail that you left out. Washing the engine with a car wash spray or pressure washer at home is a very, very bad idea. All over your engine is dust. Dust that came from the engine operation itself, and from a road covered with dust from millions of other engines. What that dust has in it in unusual abundance is metal. Metal that can short things out, cause stray electrical currents in areas previously insulated, etc. By pressure washing, you're blasting this stuff into crevices, electrical connections, under seals, in components, into bearings, etc.

There are also combustion byproducts that create acid when mixed with water, a potential for the pressure to knock connections a bit loose, etc. Enough about this - I think you get it by now.

If you've got to have that sparkling clean engine bay, use one of those foaming cleaners and cover your major electrical components with saran wrap. Then use a gentle spray of water on a cold engine to remove the foamy stuff.

The gas additive cleaner may also have something to do with it. Perhaps the catalyst was on the way out and you took a few thousand miles off its life by suddenly freeing up a bunch of grundge from the cylinders that overwhelmed it. I've heard of cleaners causing codes to pop up. Don't know. But you might try a nice hour long drive on the freeway with premium gas to see if the catalyst can burn itself clean - which it is designed to do. Then reset the code and see if it comes back.
  • jregen7243jregen7243 Member Posts: 91
    Its a given that when I let the dealer or someone else change the oil, they ALWAYS put the plug back on too tight. I decided to change my oil this past weekend, and tried with all I had to remove the oil plug, but it wouldn't move. As usual, I cursed out the dealer for about 20 mins before I remembered to use a little WD-40. After 1 quick spray, the plug came off with little effort. That stuff works miracles.

Jon
    I don't know if this a fluke or if it has to do with the oils I put in during the 30k mi service, but, ever since then my gas mileage has been steadily increasing. I haven't changed any of my driving habits, yet, my mileage has gone from 23.5mpg to a whopping 26.8mpg on my last tank (it was 25mpg just before that).

I changed the engine oil to Mobile 1 5w-30, and both of the differentials to Mobile 1 75w-90. The ATF remained the same with a Dextron III grade Quaker State oil.

Could it be the oil? Or is it possible the gas blend has something to do with it?

BTW this is on an '01 Bean.

-r
    I'm not sure when they changed it, but the newer ones do fit on the rear axle.

Good dealers will use the TSBs to install it right the 2nd time around. I'm not sure about dealers in the UK. I'm also not sure how long your warranty lasts.

The clutch got incremental improvements through the years. My wife's 2002 seems better than my 1998, FWIW.

-juice
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Juice has obviously had good success using a crescent wrench. However, I would avoid a "crescent" (ie: "adjustable") wrench on the drain plug. It only has two points of contact with that six-sided bolt head. I recommend a 17 mm socket or box wrench. (A 6 point socket or wrench is preferrable, though a 12 point will also work.) It's easy to slip off the bolt head and round it off if you're not on there squarely. If you're going out to buy the tools needed, I'd recommend the socket or box wrench right from the start.

Just my 2 cents.

Len
    The oil might be one of the factors to your better mileage. Have you used the A/C less? Carried less weight? Or changed your commute?

Len is right, I stand corrected. Mine has been OK because it's never over-tightened - I torque it down myself with a torque wrench. So the forces aren't great enough to strip any bolts.

But if it's tight, definitely use a socket.

-juice
    No changes in driving...same daily drive (40mi mostly hwy, each way to and from work).

It has been hotter than ever around here so I actually have been using the A/C a lot.

I will continue to monitor the mileage and update....at the rate I consume gas, I fill up very regularly.

BTW although the vehicle will run fine on regular, I have mostly used 93 octane premium. Esp. since our Ingles grocery store sells it for $.07 off on Tuesdays.

-r
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    grisgris -- I also was a maintenance newbie when I purchased my Forester but I learned through the Subaru Crew as well as i-club. Also check http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/ -- there's lots of maintenance stuff that's been photographed and documented. Take little steps by tackling easy maintenance items like washer fluid, air pressure or the engine air filter first. It's a great thing to take full ownership of your car!

Oil Plug -- another popular alternative to the standard oil plug is the Fumoto Drain Plug -- it has a small valve that you can open to drain oil without removing the plug. I don't have the URL, but a Google search should bring it right up.

oclvframe -- I also noticed a small, but measurable increase in my gas milage (~1mpg) when I switched to synthetic oil. Also, don't discount warmer weather for better milage and the fact that your gas milage does improve as the engine breaks in (still possible even at 30K).

Ken

I've noted slightly better MPG with synthetics if you do several fluid changes at once, like changing the engine and diffs. Can't say how much of the change is simply due to fresh gearlube and oils per se as opposed to the synthetic factor. I have synthetic in literally every lube application on my 'Cruiser - engine, driveshafts, steering knuckles, birfields, f/r diffs, center diff - and I get about 1.2mpg better than the other guys in my club. Whether this is the reason or because I'm also anal about tire pressures, tuneups, air filters and the like is a tough call. But better quality lube is less friction is more power is better MPG...

On the oil plug, are you guys using crush washers on your drain plugs? This is the proper thing to do but a lot of dealers and most chain lube stops generally don't put fresh ones on for you. I've used these religiously and you don't have to crank the drain bolt at all for a leakproof seal. Comes off easily, too.

IdahoDoug
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    juice -- Also the Legacy gets a slightly different clutch design than the Forester. I don't think the parts are compatible.

Ken
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Robert- Your Ingles grocery store sells gas? Where in the Atlanta metro area do you live?

-Frank P.
    I live in Cumming....off of Hwy 20, real close to Ga 400. We also have a BJs that sells gas at a discount to memebers. Yesterday I paid $1.32/gal for 93octane at Ingles. BJs sits at $1.38. Gotta save every penny these days!

-r
    I learn something every day.

-juice
  • 2sube2sube Member Posts: 3
    I'm considering buying a 99 Forester L that
    was a lease vehicle in a fleet, 43k miles, and
    the carfax looks ok, but there's a recall on the
    air flow sensor on the master brake cylinder.

I've read that this is common on some foresters,
    but I'm curious what you all think, is that a problem,
    or should I go ahead with buying this car?

I've been searching for one for a few months now,
    so I really want one at this point, but I don't want to
    make a terrible mistake.
  • 2sube2sube Member Posts: 3
    ..and, after just reading the posts about bad wheel bearings, that's a concern$.
    I had the brake master cylinder recall, and 3 years after that fix no problems. Mine's a '98, and the '99 actually had a few improvements and more standard equipment.

Test drive it and do listen for any drive train whine, which would indicate bad bearings. If it's quiet at 43k miles, you're probably fine. They would have failed by now, most likely.

-juice
    "$1.32/gal for 93 octane" !!!!!

Hear that Crew... one of the few advantages to living in GA.

-Frank P.
    $1.799 in Potomac, ouch. I managed to find 87 octane for "just" $1.459 yesterday.

-juice
  • mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    At Costco yesterday in Dallas area, 93 Octane is $1.35, $1.25 for 87 octane. I have a WRX and VDC OB; everytime I pass Costco, I top up. The price varies, but the difference from 87 to 93 seems to be consistent at 10 cents. Not a big difference for me to achieve max performance.

Mike
    Mike- Only a 10 cent difference between 87 and 93 octane? Around here "Plus" is usually 10 cents higher than "Regular" and "Premium" is usually another 10 cents higher than "Plus".

-Frank P.
  • flasksflasks Member Posts: 14
    I posted the following message on another subject board but never received any definitive answers and perhaps this board can help.......
    Having glanced through and read many of comments in this section, I feel I've come to the right discussion area to get good sound advice. I have a 2001 OB VDC and living in the hilly area of Pa I find myself using the shifting settings with the gear selector for upshifting (I love it!) more and more frequently rather than just letting the tranny do it's designed shifting for me. My question....am I going to upset a computer, a memory setting of somekind, or any other mechanical device by doing this? I rarely let the engine turn over 4,500 r.p.m.'s at any time even during passing. I am a mechanical idiot and want my car to last but I really like us the "automatic" as a "stick" shifter. All comments appreciated. I know that a stick shift would be more to MY liking but unfortunately this model comes only with auto and besides that, my wife refuses to learn to drive using a manual tranny. Thanks to all, Flasks
    Same here, a 20-24 cent markup from 87 to 93 is normal. The Costco closest to me does not sell gas. :-(

Not sure about the tranny, I'd use manual mode only when I was driving aggressively. I don't think it's meant to be used all the time, like the new Shiftronic on the 2.5 GT models.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    on the other board. :)

-mike

PS: I'm back to all ATs now :)
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Name brand is $1.559 reg, $1.659 Plus, $1.719 Super. Costco is approx. $.08 less.

BTW, since switching to synthetics all around, I have not seen any major improvement in mileage. This may be attributed to doing more city driving with the AC on most times. Hopefuly as it cools down, I'll see improvement.

Mark
  • dmaxwellhdmaxwellh Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2002 WRX wagon with about 1600 miles. Most of the time I open the driver's side window, there is a LOUD squeaking sound, kind of like finger nails on a chalk board! Has anyone else experienced this? Solution?

Thanks in advance. . .

David
    You can adjust the tracks, someone with an Outback did this himself.

I'd let the dealer do this if you're still under the 12 month/12k mile adjustment period.

-juice
  • outback_97outback_97 Member Posts: 130
    reference msg 5667

Mr. detailer - thanks for the feedback, i wish i had experiences this positive with the dealer you mentioned, but many times I haven't.

It's been very inconsistent with them - in short, if i know what's wrong with the car and i tell them explicitly what to do, they have done an ok job. When it comes to diagnosis, i've been very disappointed. I've been misled and told very contradictory things by different people there. Simple things have been done incorrectly. Oh well, I guess your mileage may vary. Good to hear that you have had good experiences with them. I have little to no experience with the other dealers along the Wasatch front so I can't really compare. I guess that's a good thing; if one had lots of experience with dealers and repair shops it would indicate that Subarus aren't very dependable.

Good to see another UT Subaru driver posting. There's tons of them out here.
    I have the same problem on my driver's windows. It happened to me after 12,000 miles.

Juice, what do you mean by adjustment period? Don't they fix for you after 12 months/12k miles?

Celica