Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kwunschelkwunschel Member Posts: 6
    I have an 08 Impreza Outback Sport. Started having a problem in the cold weather with a film on the inside of the windshield that has to be constantly wiped off even while driving. Defrosters don't work. The dealer couldn't find a source of the problem and I've seen othe sites with owners having the same issue. Anyone else have this problem?
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    Yes there is a TSB recently posted in the 2009 Forester thread about this.
    The problem is oil retained in the rubber door seals within the heating system.
    The oil will eventually be volatilized but it takes some time.
    In extreme cases Subaru can replace the seals.

You can remove the film with either Stoner's Invisible Glass or Megiuars glass cleaners. Regular windex-type cleaners won't remove those films.
  • kurtamaxxxguykurtamaxxxguy Member Posts: 1,798
    On another Edmunds topic, several comments rose that the turbo engine's #3 cylinder, being close to turbo and exhaust piping, runs very hot and suffers from rod failures.
    Is this true? Isolated cases? Specific year engines ? :confuse:

Having read about these after market heat shields that keep heat away from other engine parts (and apparently keep it within the turbo), do these make any difference?
    And can the shield itself raise turbo temperatures to where the turbos fail faster?

Just curious...am making sure my '09 XT stays healthy.
  • snoogs51snoogs51 Member Posts: 9
    I have an 04 Outback Sport, under the heater/A/C guages is a slide switch for the interior circulation. One side indicates outside air and the other indicates inside circulation, when running the defrosted this swith needs to be on the left side letting outside air in. Try it. It worked for me.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Not that I've heard.
  • phil2000phil2000 Member Posts: 195
    I finally starting taking the engine apart. Started last night and hit a road block. I need a Torx bit to remove the camshaft. But the work is going well. About 30 more minutes of work then I can get the head off and see the problem. I plan on taking it to a machine shop tomorrow (after getting the bit).
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    You made it a year without doing the work? Now that is patience. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    Did you get a resolution on this yet?
    I have posted this same type of message in regards to my '01 Outback. Mine has 125k and has had this same problem intermittently for a few years. My local dealer never had a resolution and someone on this forum made a great point.

The choke opens up too much in our colder areas and releases this smell. I live in NH and this occurs on those very cold mornings and actually, today, as it was 20 degrees outside.

I just live with and tell my passengers to prepare for it ;)
  • samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    But... fuel injected cars don't have chokes.
  • green_obgreen_ob Member Posts: 10
    Picked up the car last night. Left it outside for the day (~25 degrees) and no gas smell on the drive home ! It'll be colder tomorrow so I'll keep my figures crossed.

I left it over night at the dealer so they check when it's cold.
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    Hello,

I just want to let you know that I have an 02' Subaru Impreza WRX that has been having problem with fuel leak/strong fuel smell coming out from under the intake manifold when the temp dips into freezing. I've taken my car to a Subaru dealership about 8 months ago and all the dealership did is tighten the clamp for the hose or pipe involved with the leak without any charge. Apparently there is a TSB report for this problem in my type of car/year model etc. Its TSB 09-36-03 to be exact.

Unfortunately, the problem surfaced again this time of the year. I notified the very same dealership of the problem and of the apparent TSB report and was told that they are well aware of the problem but it will cost me $500-$600 for it to be repaired. After reading the TSB report, it looks like a designed flaw to begin with (at least to me) and asked them if they can help me with this issue with Subaru of America. To make the story short, they told me tough luck. So, no chance of having this particular dealer be my personal customer advocate. What a shocker ehh?

I decided to call Subaru Of America(SOA) myself to inquire about this TSB report and simply asked them if they are helping their customer about this issue. The representative gave me a "service request number" and told me to take my car back to a Subaru service dept of my choosing and to give them the "service request number" from SOA. I did just that but to a different Subaru Service Dept this time. Less than 2 hours in the shop, the service dept. rep. gave me one of the best news I've heard so far this year. SOA will take care of the whole problem(parts and labor included) as well as the diagnostic charge. Overall charge was to run around $550+ and SOA will take care of the whole thing. All I need to do now is to take my car back to the shop and it will apparently take approx. 5 hours to fix.

I also want to add that my car is a 2002 Subaru WRX wagon with well over 76,700+ miles without any extended warranty. The car has been great without any issue whatsoever since I bought it back in 2001. I still love this car and its been religiously well maintained. Its been a great reliable car.

I suggest you call SOA at 1-800-SUBARU3 and politely explain your problem and ask them if they know about this problem in your car. See if you can find a similar TSB report like the one I found. Then kindly ask them if they offer any assistance to their customers with this matter. It maybe worth a try in your case.

Let me know how this turns out for you. I'm taking my car to the shop next week because the parts needed to get my car fix is already in the shop. I'll post later of the result. Anyway, this post maybe of interest to anyone having problem with fuel leak/smell from their car.

Regards
  • sgloonsgloon Member Posts: 323
    I have this problem if it is a greasy type of film that smears instead of being able to wipe it off (like you would water vapor). It is on my '09 Forester. There is a TSB# listed in the 09 Forester forum. It refers to both the Impreza and the Forester.

So far they have cleaned the windsheild like 4 times. This 4th time, I learned that they coated it with a wax to try to make the film not build up.

My question to you: Are you getting sick at all from the fumes? I am. I would like to trade notes with you if you are getting sick at all. Thanks.
  • gaspasser2gaspasser2 Member Posts: 44
    I got my car back a couple of days ago and so far with temperature around the high teens-low 20's, the fuel smell/leak is gone. The dealer also told me that they had to replace a cooling hose while replacing the other hose and pipes that was causing the fuel leak. I paid for the cooling hose for less than $20 but that's about it. I'd say, I'm impressed and thankful for SOA for taking care of this matter.

Regards
  • kwunschelkwunschel Member Posts: 6
    It is a film that gets worse if you try to wipe it. Had it to the dealer again last week and they also applied that "wax" but after a few days the film is coming back. I have really noticed any fumes from it though. I plan on taking it back again and will let you know the outcome.
    It took me 5 hours to remove the head. I dropped it off at a local machine shop. The found all 8 valves bent. Got it back two days later and $261 out of pocket. It took six hours to reinstall everything (but). Started the car and it ran smoothly BUT there was oil and antifreeze coming out the top of the head. When I put the head on the gasket fell out and I did not recheck when I put it back on. Yes it was in backwards. So after dismantling the engine again and skipping a step (the camshaft cover. This time I was able to get the head off in 3 hours. And with GODs help, I got it back together in 4 hours. It runs smooth, not liquids oozing out and a lot of burn off. I am back in business. Total including 2 head gaskets, intake/exhaust gaskets, cam sprocket (chip during first attempt), and various fluids - $450. That closes out the bad idle post. Thanks to all who have answered my posts.
    The film on mine is coming back after the wax as well. I just hadn't driven the car very far until Sunday... went over 150 miles, now it is showing up again...so, I'll be contacting Subaru again.

I recommend that you call their 800# as well to get authorization for the real fix.

The issue is suppose to be some gaskets on the heater box "vanes". They will have to replace the whole heater box to get rid of it. I'm told it can last up to 15 months (so far reported) if you don't get it replaced. I believe, from what I have garnered to date, that it looks like the "rubber" gaskets were impregnated with some type of "oil" that is given off through the defroster (and probably the other vents) and causes the film you are seeing build up.

This has also occured on the 2008 IMPREZA, which is why they know what to do about it...
    I am sorry that you had the added difficulties, but it sounds like you got it done well in the end. Congrats! I bet it feels very good to have it running again. :shades:
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    After the repair the CEL came on after 30 miles. Then went off the next morning only to come on as I drove to work. I got codes of P0303 and P0420. The first is cylinder 4 misfire and the last is catalytic converter efficiency. A year ago I checked all 4 cylinders and number 4 had good compression. I am wondering if antifreeze that mixed during the rebuild could have fouled number 4 and also lead to bad O2 sensor readings. Can I hand clean the sensors? I cleared the codes and will see if they come back on the way home.
    Your suspicions may be correct. Antifreeze will definitely foul oxygen sensors in short order. I would check the plug as a first step in regard to the mis-fire code. Did you put new plugs in after the initial repair? I hate to say it, but you might consider replacing the whole set again once you confirm everything is in good order.

You're certain to get the kinks worked out here soon. You just finished with a major surgery; there are sure to be a few complications. ;)

How is your fuel economy? Have you driven it enough to tell?

Keep at it -

-Wes-
    Can I clean the Oxygen sensors and put them back in? Do I replace the the O2 sensors (which one or both)?
  • rthompson9310rthompson9310 Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

03 Outback has 118K on it- Realize I'm past the recommended mileage for a timing belt.

MY question is this- Got initial quotes from 2 dealers, Becker in PA, and Flemington in NJ. Price was substantially different based on same work- $250 versus $425.
    I realize the recommendation is to also get the water pump done- anything else?- which would add to the price but don't understand why the starting point is so different
    RT
    I am not sure about this. I would hope someone else could chime in on the issue, but if not, perhaps you can ask a mechanic you might know? I suspect you will not be able to just clean them; as far as which/both to replace, I also suspect both. But, again, seek other advice - I am simply guessing here.
    Got this from another forum.

First of all. It's not whether it can or can't be cleaned. Anything can be cleaned, if you go about it right. The question should be, first of all, whether cleaning it would do any good, and if so, whether it needs to be cleaned. Oxygen sensors are exposed to such extreme heat that the only thing that it can get (dirty) with is carbon. Extreme heat will turn any organic matter, such as gasoline or oil, into carbon. Well the bad thing about that, is that baked carbon is not soluble in any kind of solvent, and even if it was, the sensing unit within the o2 sensor module, is not exposed, and is not visible. It is covered by what is usually a louvered steel cylinder. Therefor if you're going to brush it, use a wire brush and brush it as hard as you want, because it isn't going to hurt the steel cover. But this is the problem. The only thing that you can really clean with any success is the outer cover. Since solvents won't do any good, I really would not recomend using electric motor cleaner, since the active indredient in it is Trichloroethylene which is not a very strong solvent. not only is it's strength very low, but also, since it is designed to clean electronic components, it evaporates very rapidly, resulting in a very short working time.
    Since o2 sensors are disigned to hande such extreme temeratures. The best method of cleaning them, is to heat the bottom part of the sensor (the part that inserts into the exaust) with a propane torch, to the point that it just begins to turn red. You do not want it to glow chery red, even though they are designed to take extreme heat, you can still over do it. Once you have it heated to the point that is just turns red, or to the point just befor it turns red, quench it in water. This will break free any carbon build up inside the sensor. After the first time, some pieces may still be to big to come out of the sensor so I would recomend doing it 2 to 3 times, blowing it out with an air compressor between each time. But I would have to say, good luck, since O2 sensors very seldom fail do to being dirty. This is not common at all.
  • blueschaser220blueschaser220 Member Posts: 2
    my "piston slap" got worse recently. took my 03 outback, 2.5L in to dealer to be told the lower engine, probably piston rod, was blown. Dealer suggests short block or total engine replacement. 60,900 MILES, OUT OF WARRANTY. Can I get any warranty relief. Should i replace whole engine, or go shopping for new car?
  • saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    Presuming it is a Subaru dealer, why not ask them what it would be worth in a trade for a new Impreza? Especially if the dealer should happen to have a left over 2008 that is costing them money on the floor plan. The new Impreza is about the same interior room as your Outback. They might use their cost for the engine repairs in making an offer....better than the repair price you would otherwise pay.
    Call 800-SUBARU3, you're only 900 miles past the normal powertrain warranty, see if they'll help.
    I am getting 22mpg+. After reseting the CEL, it came back on. Now I get codes P0301 and P0420. Cylinder 1 misfire and Cat efficiency. The Cat code I had before. But the cylinder misfire was in number 4 last week now it is in number 1. What would cause roaming misfires? Anyone have any ideas?
  • aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... I'm past the recommended mileage for a timing belt... Got initial quotes from 2 dealers... Price was substantially different based on same work- $250 versus $425.
    I realize the recommendation is to also get the water pump done- anything else?- which would add to the price but don't understand why the starting point is so different..."

The $250 sounds like a dealer could only replace the belt, based on this:
    Ebay Buy It Now $200 Timing Belt Kit Contains the following:
    (1) Timing Belt
    (2) Timing Belt Idler Bearing Smooth
    (1) Timing Belt Idler Cogged
    (1) Hydraulic Timing Belt Tensioner Assembly

While those are being replaced, the access makes it convenient to also replace the water pump, thermostat, respective gaskets, water pump by pass hose, coolant and conditioner. One person reported his dealer did the belt kit plus all that for $563.

Some recommend also replacing the front crankshaft main seal and the cam seals during this time of good access.
    If I had replaced the two idlers, I would not have needed to get the valves done. I had the dealer replace the belt. 20K miles later the idler went and the belt jumped. Bending valves on the way. The dealer who fixed got me running (I am not going back to him) charge me $775 to replace the belt, idler 1 & 2, and diagnostic charge. But that experience taught me that I can do the belt myself. Choose a dealer that will work with you and understands cost benefit of any work they do.
    Let's see, as they say, it's spark or fuel....

Normally I would say plugs, then spark plug wires (if applicable), but I'd add the ignition coil since there is one for all 4 cylinders, and you have multiple misfires.

They're about $80 so not that expensive if you have not already tried that.
    It might also be the timing. Are you certain that the sprockets were all perfectly aligned when you put it back together? If one was off by a tooth or two, you might be getting occasional misfire. You might continue to monitor the CEL activity to see if the misfire happens in more than just cylinder 1 over the next few days/weeks.
  • rmccomiskiermccomiskie Member Posts: 1
    97 Legacy GT. Sharon MA. A friend got an outrageous quote for cats, exhaust and head gaskets from a dealer. He's not mechnically savvy so I'm trying to find an alternative for him.

He also needs a replacement 16x6.5 GT wheel if anyone has one.

Thanks.
  • blueschaser220blueschaser220 Member Posts: 2
    the dealer associated with the service center here offered my 4k on my car - of course they know the engine problem - against a 2009 Forester 2.5x listed at 22.500. My local garage offers to replace engine with a rebuild with a 36mo/100k mile warranty for less than $4,000. Car is in good shape otherwise, but is 6 yrs old with 60,900 miles. Decisions, damn decisons. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks , John
    $4k with 36month/100k miles warranty sounds good. I presume your car is worth more than $4k + $4k fixed. What could you buy for $8k that has such a warranty? The Subaru dealer is obviously making you an offer with plenty of potential dealer profit.

If your tires, brakes, shocks & battery are good for three more years, the rebuilt engine makes sense. It is likely the rebuilt engine has a new water pump and timing belt; is that correct? The word rebuilt needs a fuller description of just what is new or replaced.
  • jgrovemanjgroveman Member Posts: 2
    I am writing to today to inform you about the poor customer treatment that my family has received from Subaru Corporation of America. Upon leaving the U.S. Navy, after serving eight years, I returned from overseas duty and took a Federal position with a DC-based agency. My family and I made the difficult decision of what new automobile would be safe for my wife and our infant daughter. Based on good reviews from Consumer Reports, we choose to invest in the newly redesigned 2009 Subaru Forester and purchased the vehicle in Syracuse, NY in May 2008. Rather than taking a loan for the vehicle we nearly used our entire savings to buy the vehicle for cash to avoid monthly bank charges.

Beginning in Aug 08 we noticed that our air conditioning system in the hot sun would only run cold at the very lowest setting. Even one or two degrees above the bottom setting and very hot air would come out. We took it back to Romano Subaru in New York and sought warranty service. They discovered that nearly our entire Freon tank was empty and Romano thought that refilling it would fix the problem. After one day the vehicle was back to blowing out hot air. After a second attempt to get it fixed, the dealer recognized the problem but said they could not find the source. That maybe it just worked that way. They were willing to "just replace the compressor" but didn't think it would fix the problem. We told them not to bother, realizing we were already moving to Vienna, VA in Oct 08 for my DC job, and said that we would just have it looked at in Virginia.

We lived with the problem for a few weeks while we got settled in DC and decided to bring the car in after the New Year, the problem never changing. Farrish Subaru took the car in for service and realized that our Freon was near empty again. They decided to put dye into the system and have us run the car for a week to see where a leak may be. We returned and they found a tube leaking and ordered the part. We returned Feb 19th and they took two days to replace the part, saying that the AC was fixed. They dropped the car back off Feb 20th and I tested the car that evening. Within 2 minutes of lukewarm air, on the AC setting, hot air came out again. I returned to the dealership on Feb 21st and showed their repair representative Stan the heating problem. He drove the car around their lot for 5 minutes and returned saying that he couldn't figure it out, the AC worked the day before, but now it didn't, and he couldn't hear the compressor kick on. They gave us a rental car.

That evening, based on 4 attempts to get the problem resolved, I faxed a letter to Subaru of America saying that we wanted final resolution for the problem or we would have no choice but to label the vehicle a lemon.

On Feb 23rd we spoke to Stan again who said they could not figure out the problem and they were going to contact the manufacturer to seek assistance with the repair. Furthermore, Stan said that they tested the heated air being released as 119F, which then cooled down to 105F after a few minutes. Hours later we received a phone call from Subaru of America Senior Customer Service Representative Deloria Marshall who said she would investigate.

On Feb 24th we received a call from Stan from Farrish Subaru that they could not find the source of the problem, they compared our vehicle to another new Subaru Forester, its AC did not have the same problem as ours, but that because they couldn't figure it out, they were assuming that they fixed our problem, and that "our" AC must just work that way.

On Feb 25th we attempted twice to contact Deloria Marshall who did not return our call. On Feb 26th we attempted to contact Deloria Marshall who promptly answered the phone, obviously screening our calls, "Hello Ms. Schiffman, I still don't have an answer for you." Later that day, she called and said that they are sending a tech rep from Headquarters on Thursday, Mar 5 to see the car because the dealer was now saying that they couldn't figure out our problem and that the dealer says it must be "fixed."

I called that evening and spoke to Deloria. I asked her point blank if the reason they were sending a Headquarters representative on Mar 5 was to rubber stamp our car "fixed." I told her that doing this would not remove our right to seek legal assistance. I told her that we were worried what 119F air would do to our infant daughter and how a non-functioning AC would affect our daughter in the summer. She said that the sole reason they were sending a representative on Mar 5 was to find the problem and fix it. She said they were a small company and care about their customers.

At 11:01AM Feb 27th I left a message on Deloria Marshall's answering machine that I wanted to attend the Headquarters tech representative's visit on Mar 5th. Furthermore, I was wondering if I could bring a privately hired, independent car technician to the Mar 5 appointment.

At roughly 1PM Feb 27th, my wife received a phone call from Farrish Subaru that the Headquarters tech representative had just shown up at the dealership and certified the vehicle as "fixed." That we had until that evening to pick up our car.

The primary reason we are worried about our non-functional AC is because of our infant daughter. We paid in cash for a vehicle that we trusted to be safe and reliable and regret our purchase. Subaru of America's senior customer service representative swore to me that their Headquarters representative was coming to help. Now certifying it fixed days in advance of the original appointment binds our hands.
  • ukkoukko Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for sharing you AC problem on this site. Since I also had an AC problem before on a Toyota Previa it is good to know Subaru is not fixing the problem. This post will help switch my next vehicle choices.
    You can't be sure that the previous post is an accurate description of the events. Subaru is generally responsive to owners' problems.

It is true that the automatic air conditioning system is not the best when I compare mine to my VW Passats' air. However, unlike the Passats, the Subaru does not need constant major electrical fixes.
    How much do you like the old one?

If you've always liked it, sure, put in the new engine. You'll probably get another decade out of it, so then $400/year will seem like nothing.

If you were looking for a reason to trade up to the 2009s, here's the perfect excuse.

We have an 09 so I'd lean towards trading now. Just take it to CarMax before you take the dealer's low-ball trade offer.
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    Ukko wrote:

"It is true that the automatic air conditioning system is not the best when I compare mine to my VW Passats' air. However, unlike the Passats, the Subaru does not need constant major electrical fixes."

My question is: Is the Subaru automatic (Dual Zone) AC [such as on the Outback Limited] less efficient or effective than the "stock" AC setup [as on the Outback SE]?

There's a huge price premium for the leather, sunroof & Dual Zone AC on the Limited and if the automatic AC is not good, that's probably not worth it. A poor AC system is the kiss of death for me in buying a car.

I'm used to the automatic AC on my current '01 Audi A6, which is an excellent AC system.

Thanks,
    Jon
    In a nutshell, Yes.

Buy the SE, it's the better value.

Having said that, we have a 2009 Forester Limited and the ACC has gotten a lot better, in fact we pretty much set it and forget it.
  • jholtanjholtan Member Posts: 8
    Searched the boards and couldn't find a close answer.

My 99 forester, stick shift, has 135,000 miles on it. I had the head gasket replaced about 1500 miles ago (and hoped this would fix the issue, but it had zero effect).

About 3k miles ago I started hearing a sound at high speeds (70 mph). It was barely noticeable, but sounded like knocking of a diesel. I know all about piston slap because I've had it since 10,000 miles and this is something different. The oddest thing about it is that it is unrelated to the engine RPM's, but directly correlated to the speed I am driving. (I tested it out last night coasting down a hill with the engine off in neutral - sound still there in spades) The sound seems like it is emanating from somewhere down below my radio. About 100 miles ago it became louder at lower speeds that I knew something was VERY wrong. I am afraid to drive it more than 2 miles at this point and hesitate to go over 35 MPH.

At about the same time, I also noticed if I drove the car a distance of at least 10 miles, I found the front wheels start to stick if I turned them sharply when in a parking lot. Unsure if these two symptoms are related.

I went and had my transmission fluid flushed at the dealer to see if that would solve it but it had no effect.

Can anyone verify this is the center differential going out. I cannot afford another $1000+ repair job that doesn't solve the problem. I have been quoted $1300 to fix. If so, do I get the clutch replaced as well??? You're starting to approach $2k which is about what the vehicle is worth.

The frustrating part about this is that I finally am able to take the bus and find a use for this second car about 1-2 times per month for local errands and the occasional weekend guys trip. If it weren't for this problem I might put maybe 2,000 miles/year on it. I just wanted it to last long enough for the new Diesel Outback . . . .
    Is there a universal joint anywhere near that location? A bad U joint or slip coupling with little load is sometimes louder than with load.
    Sounds like the symptoms of a bad wheel bearing. Have those inspected. It would certainly be cheaper to fix those.

Plus that's a common issue with the 99s.
    Does anyone have a link to the MSDS sheet for the Subaru Super Coolant?

Would like MSDS for whatever they are using for the refrigerant, which is listed as HFC134a in the owners manual?

Thanks!
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
  • fendertweedfendertweed Member Posts: 98
    Thanks ... yes, I'm spoiled, the AC on my A6 is definitely set-and-forget and it cools really well. ... I love the leather seating but the SE definitely appears to be a better value.

Jon
    Thanks, Graham!

BTW, do you know if this applies to the Subaru Super Coolant as well? I haven't been able to find anything on that at all.
  • thepaulistathepaulista Member Posts: 4
    Hello
    I have a 2005 outback with 100k miles on it. There’s a loud “humming” noise coming from the back while driving a moderate to high speeds. The tires are at half/close to end, life. My ABS light is one. I winder if I need new bearings? Some times the ABS light will go off. Thanks. VL :confuse:
    Bearings must be creating a resistance that the ABS sensor is picking up on.

Given that bearing issues are fairly common, that's likely.
  • clakeclake Member Posts: 1
    It sounds like they just reset the computer? This will make the lights go away untill you rack up some miles then what ever the situation is will retrigger the lights. The loss of the cruise is a real pain. This sounds very much like my situation with a failed cat. converter. What is your car doing? Does it run OK?