Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    How many months is a "few" months?

You can have a small variation, up to 1/4" circumference (right guys?) from tire to tire. Your few months old tire might fall within that tolerance.

You know what I'd do?

Get 4 new tires, one new rim, make the few months old tire your new full size spare.

As a matter of fact, I have a spare 15" rim laying in my garage and you can have it if you pick it up. It's black, 6" wide, Subaru offset. Almost brand new off our 2002 Legacy L.

-juice
  • We all know that owning an AWD vehicle cost a bit more. Extra purchase price, a little more maintenance cost (not much), potentially higher repair cost, and increased gas consumption. Tires are another "potential" category. Yes, you should absolutely keep your tires within similar circumferance and always the same tread pattern, even if it means purchasing an entire set versus just one or two. It's one of those extra costs so you can gain the superior handling of AWD no matter the weather conditions.

Here's something to think about: Did your tires come from the same manufacturing lot? A number of years ago I had a set of very nice Michelin's mounted on my Accord, and after 30,000 miles those 60,000-mile tires totally wore out...except for one. It still had half tread life. I had rotated those tires every 5,000 miles. Just out of curiosity I checked into it, and come to find out, that one tire was from a different manufacturing lot. No problem on a FWD car in that case, but it could have been with any of my current AWD vehicles. Now I ask that all the tires come from the same lot when I make a new purchase.

-Ty
  • john284john284 Member Posts: 71
    I got the part from the dealer, and on my way to the shop, but unable to do so today, just curious, how much work is involved in installing the sensor? Thanks
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    It is visible from the drivers side, on the upper deck, tucked under the intake manifold. One connector and a bolt and it is out. But I could imagine that getting a tool and your hands in there could be tight.

Steve
  • jtomjtom Member Posts: 26
    hey, thanks everyone for such great and fast replies. I bought it at costco here in Hawaii(potenza re900), hope they still have them. A couple of months (I was gone this summer, so only a couple thousand miles on the one tire) should be alright. I think it measured 9/32, new is 11/32, I think. Anyhow, I may get Michelin replacements, the Bridgestones do seem to wear out quick for me. This time, I WILL rotate! thanks again edmunds.com folks.
  • vetmatsvetmats Member Posts: 71
    I forgot, my problems originated with a few trips to the dealer with CEL code for misfire on Cynlinder 4. This was 2-3 months before the breakdown.

vetmats
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I would only replace 4 tires at a time on any AWD vehicle. Same tires, same lot, etc.

I had a problem on my AWD Trooper when I replaced 1 of my tires with what appeared to be the same wear amount on the same tire from a different lot, different year. Found out the circumference was different on them and that was causing my issue.

I would never risk wearing out the AWD system by NOT putting 4 tires on at the same time. Is a $2000 AWD system worth it for $400 worth of tires?

-mike
  • john284john284 Member Posts: 71
    I replaced the Knock Sensor myself before another hurricane hits florida (I am not there, but do get the residual effect). I reset the ECU, and CEL is gone, history, total cost: $15 (factor in the $100 subie bucks), now about that clutch....
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    I just bought a 2005 Forester today:) I have a couple of questions. When I go over hard bumps, the gauge panel(clear plastic) makes squeaking noise. I didn't hear it while test driving but the roads around here I live are crappy... It makes the same noise when I press it with my hands. Is the gauge panel defective? Do you hear the same noise when you press the gauge panel? also, is there a way to turn off daylight running light?
    Funny, but I have only had one other car (thank God...) that had the clear plastic squeak - a Nissan. Drove me crazy... Something about how the bezzle trim pressed against the clear panel. The friction causes vibration, which translates into an audible sound. I tried two solutions, but both had to be 'refreshed' from time to time. Either you have to separate them, or lube them so they slide without friction. I found that with a little pushing, I could get a thin piece of paper between them in spots, but make it barely noticeable. I also tried a little wax and touch of oil in spots to make them glide over each other. Each would work for a few months, then had to be done over.

If you can find a way to remove the surrounds and inspect them, I bet you will find burrs that are touching.

Steve
  • deadeye5deadeye5 Member Posts: 93
    Saw a Post on here months ago-he said pull the emerg brake 1-3 clicks (Not till it brakes) and the lights go off..But, then you have a dash light that comes on sooo ???

Deadeye
  • 05gtltdsedan05gtltdsedan Member Posts: 1
    Hello all.

I just drove home my new Legacy GT LTD from the dealer Thursday evening.

As I read these boards, I'm VERY upset to see that SOME people have received coupons for a free 36,000 mile maintenance plan, and others (like me) got nothing.

My wife called SOA earlier today and was politely told we were NOT eligible, as acording to her database, we did not test drive a Subaru.

Well:

I DID "request" a test drive.

I DID "test drive" a new Subaru.

And I even "bought" a new Subaru!

This is NOT the way to treat a new Subaru owner, one who has been driving only Hondas for the past 14 years.

One who decided to buy a new, top of the line, Subaru.

It's not really that big a deal, as I plan on doing most to all the maintenance myself.

It just ticks me off that some got 'em while others didn't.
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    John, if it makes you feel any better, I currently own 2 Subarus, and have owned 2 others in the last 12 years. I test drove an 05 GT and got a $25 gift card. I did not get any coupons, either.

I believe that this was a regional marketing campaign in certain areas if the nation. The northeast may have been excluded.

I would not let a couple coupons get in the way of enjoying such an awsome car. I wouldn't!
  • edunnettedunnett Member Posts: 553
    There's coupons?! Where's my coupon! I'm on my 3rd Subie and about my 100th test drive. Don't feel so bad. Your redemption is having a car that's much more fun to drive than a Honda, much more rugged looking and much more winter/off road capable. Coupons are for Rice-a-Roni.
    Elissa
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ......you are Extremely witty...........

(and thus a good endorsement for a given school!)

.....ez
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Coupons. I believe as was stated it was a regional program and targeted at a particular group.

I own 3 subarus and did not get any coupons either. I've also owned 5 subarus overall. Shall I get some cheese to go with all the whiners?

-mike
    btw - ezshift5 - i am born and bred NY'er from Goshen, NY - graduated with a BA in Psych and an MBA in MIS from SUNY Albany. Believe me though, I'm no endorsement. Besides who can teach wit like this ?! ;-)
    Elissa
    Goshen? Now I know why I like you! Remnants of wife's family still in Middletown.

Steve
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    A friend of mine is looking into buying a used Subaru for his wife when they relocate to Arizona. He would like to know if On Star is-
    A)available in all models, if not which ones, and what year models apply?
    B)Can On Star be installed in a used vehicle? If so how to go about it?
    C) Is On Star cellular or satelitte based?
    It came on a few high-end models (VDC), but I'm not sure it's still offered on Subarus. The renewal rate was low.

Don't know about B.

It is satellite based.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    A)available in all models, if not which ones, and what year models apply?
    B)Can On Star be installed in a used vehicle? If so how to go about it?
    C) Is On Star cellular or satelitte based?

A) H-6 models, pre-'05 only.
    B) Don't know
    C) Satelitte I believe

Bob
    Maybe someone here still has one? I saw a couple offered as recently as last week (they were taken quickly however).

But don't let small potatoes ruin your ownership experience, enjoy the car.

-juice
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    Elissa- My wife who drives an 04 OB VDC sedan was born in Goshen Hospital and graduated from Washingtonville HS. (She doesn't fix cars, but once owned a Honda Civic).
  • volkovvolkov Member Posts: 1,306
    C) both satellite and cellular.
    UP here anyway, it runs both systems. The remote opening, airbag deployment and vehicle locator are all sattelite based functions, but voice based functions require cellular coverage. We didn't renew ours, because cell coverage is so spotty up here once we leave town. There are 100 mile stretches with no cell service.
    Nicholas
    steve and snowbelter - thanks for the well-wishes from 'home'! :-)
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    It was only on the 03-04 LL Bean and VDC Outbacks.

Craig
  • threesinthreesin Member Posts: 50
    I think that Mike is correct in stating that the coupons are for selective areas and/or dealerships. I'm guessing that the service depts in these areas are not getting the follow up business from all the cars sold by the dealership.

I bought a new '02 OBS in central Calif and received coupons. I just bought a new '05 Legacy GT in the NW corner of Washington and received 2 sets of coupons. I also just bought an '05 WRX in the Seattle area; and thus far, I have not received coupons. All of my coupons stated, in very fine print at the bottom, that they were good only at the dealership from which I purchased the car. (They actually gave the dealership name.)

In both instances I discarded the coupons: In the first instance the dealership was 2 1/2 hours away, and I bought there because they had the car I wanted at $500 over invoice. In the second instance, it's a local dealer who also sold at $500 over invoice, but I will not have my cars serviced there.

It will be interesting to see if I do get coupons from the dealer in the metropolitan area that gets top ratings for it's service dept in customer satisfaction. After all, the dealership already offers "free for life" oil changes! Why should SOA offer more coupons??

Hope this helps ease the grief;-) If not, just take joy in the performance of your new GT! Ours has certainly surpassed all of my expectations. We were also Honda/Acura owners for the previous 15 years, our last Acura being an '01 Type-S cpe; and as far as I'm concerned, our Legacy GT wagon is the "hands down winner"! This new "sport auto" trans is as smooth as they come.

Now, if they'll just put it in the WRX....:-))
    This place is like a virtual Encyclopedia.

-juice
    The SoA coupons were not just for oil changes, FWIW.

-juice
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    I test drove a new 04 Forester and ordered an 05 the same day. I got a runaround for a couple of weeks about the arrival time of my white 05 (storms with hail in the center of Florida were supposedly keeping the railroad auto carrier cars from rolling due to fear of damage, even though all the car carrier RR cars I have seen for years have enclosed sides and tops)and finally settled for a gold one. Then I got an umbrella as my only bonus for being patient and swallowing that BS *g*.
  • veritasusaveritasusa Member Posts: 72
    Goshen, eh? We lived in Florida, NY for a couple of years back in the early 80s. Nice area, except for the smell of onions in the Warwick Valley in season and the noise of snowmobiles in winter.

I could tell unknowing ones from elsewhere in the country back then that I owned a townhouse in Florida. Now I'm just glorified trailer park trash (upscale manufactured home park) in Florida - the real one. :)
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Thanks
  • 63corvette63corvette Member Posts: 51
    I would love to use your coupons if you still have them and don't want them.

Garrett Waddell
    Sorry, I think they're gone, but I'll take a look and see if they're still in our recycle bag.
    However, they did have the name of the dealer on them, and they were good at that dealership only! I don't know how closely the service writers look at the coupons......the print is small;-)

What part of the nation are you in??

Terry
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    I believe the coupons were good for the purchase of an 05 model only.
  • stevev1stevev1 Member Posts: 14
    My brakes are done all the way around. I will be replacing everything (rotors, pads etc ), would anyone recommend after market or Subaru original parts ?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Yep, it's as I thought: the coupons found their way to the recycle bin....Sorry

Terry
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Do the rotors really need replacing? Were you happy with the mileage you got with the stock pads?

I replaced my pads at 65k miles. The front pads actually had quite a bit of lining remaining. The rotors didn't need replacing and were not warped. I used stock pads.

If your pads didn't last very long, then, I'd switch brands, otherwise I'd stick with stock. Rotors may vary from batch to batch so I don't know if I'd go with stock or aftermkt.

Also, if you are using Subaru bucks, it narrows your choices.

Jim
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    The stock pads give you a pretty good balance of performance, wear and low dust. I would probably stick with them.

As for the rotors -- are they worn or warped to the point they need replacement? On my Forester, I replaced only the front rotors (with pads, of course) at 60K miles. The fronts were fairly worn with some mild warping. The rears, which were okay, just got new pads.

Actually, what I did was buy a set of WRX stock pads and rotors (larger diameter) and caliper brackets to upgrade my brakes. The cost difference there was really in the extra set of brackets.

Ken
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Thinking of painting the calipers on my OB XT LTD. I live with 5 months of salt on the roads and after a year or 2, the calipers look rather lousy, and would be very noticeable behind the new OB wheels. I bought a caliper paint kit that comes with black brush on paint, brake cleaner and the brush.

Question 1. Can I spray the brake cleaner over the entire caliper assembly while it still mounted?

Question 2. Will doing the above remove the antisqueal compound that is clearly visible on the back of the pads/guides on my OB, or damage any of the seals?

If so, is there any method of cleaning/preping without removing the assembly and pads?

Thanks.
    Jay.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    A1. sure.

A2. it might remove the antisqueal paste, yes. it most definitely will not harm seals.

~c
  • rjweissrjweiss Member Posts: 20
    My wife called and said our 03 Forester is beeping, not like the chirp from the security system. I'm not in town so I can't verify the sound but she is sure it's from the Subie.

Any thoughts on this...

Thanks

Ron
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Thanks for the reply.

So, would that mean that I would have to remove pads and reapply/lubricate?

Cheers.
    Jay.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    There's really nothing else on the Forester that would make a beeping noise other than the alarm or horn.

Are you sure the alarm wasn't triggered?

Ken
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    pick up some of the antisqueal from an autoparts store and if you notice noise afterwards then yep. but otherwise there's no need to be concerned.

~c
    Don't know if the alarm had been triggered, she didn't mention hearing the alarm going off. Does that produce that type (computer beep) of sound if an alarm event occured?

thanks

Ron
  • astroguyastroguy Member Posts: 6
    Not sure this is the best place to post this:

Wondering whether the Subaru Powertrain warranty will cover the problem I am having with my automatic transmission on 2000 Forester. My wife, who is the primary driver, has had trouble a few times shifting into drive. She has to play with the stick and sometimes hit the gas pedal during this process. The few times it has happened in recent weeks, she was eventually successful in getting it into drive. Took car into a non-Subaru shop for evaluation. They said that there was observed problem with forward clutch assembly (?), trans fluid didn't look good, and as a result the transmission would have to be rebuilt. Big $. Note that their evaluation was supported by off-site personnel via phone, as the shop farms out this type of work, so the eyes that were looking at the transmission were not necessarily expert eyes. Also, I am not well versed in auto mechanics, so this is probably the best I'll be able to explain this.

Will be taking the car to the dealer next week for evaluation. I'd like to know in advance whether this sounds like an in-warranty repair. I'm outside basic warranty coverage but within powertrain warranty (4.5 years, 37K miles). I cannot discern if any of the items listed in the powertrain warranty (such as electronic transmission control unit) would cover this problem (and neither do some folks I know who are better versed at auto repair). I was also told by others that such a transmission failure is highly unusual, even for the "normal" lifetime of a car. I have never had a transmission problem with any of my previous cars (all non-Subaru). Note that I have done no towing with car nor has it ever carried what I would consider a heavy load; 2 adults, 2 kids, and some cargo max.

Any feedback is welcome.

Thanks.

Doug
    OK..OK.. I should have known, my wife isn't too technical. Got home from work and sure enough I heard the beeping, but it wasn't from the Subaru it's from my neighbors smoke detector.

Ron
    Doug,

I really would assume that the 5yr/60k powertrain coverage would include all internal auto tranny components (provided you did your part - fluid change at 30k/30months).

Let us know how this plays out!

Steve
    Any concern about the liberated grease fouling the pads/rotor as it runs off? Whatever cleaning I have ever done, I have performed with everything apart.

Steve