Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Butt Ugly Fords

fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
edited February 2014 in Ford
When the new ford f150 came out, I did not like
it, but then it grew on me.

Now the new F250 and F350 are out, I went to the
dealer checked them out and...liked them. But now,
three weeks later... I think they are
...well...butt ugly.

I feel like I just woke up from an all "nighter"
and looked over to see what was in bed with me.

Comments

• BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    I can't believe you created an extra topic for this. Why not post it in one of the numerous Superduty or F-150 topic areas already being used?
  • lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    I disagree fredwood. All pickups are good looking ...........even Dodges.
  • thegoinkerthegoinker Member Posts: 8
    "Especially" Dodges! The big Fords seem to be imitating the Ram good looks, or rather trying!
  • sleeprsleepr Member Posts: 16
    The new Super Duty Fords do seem to have been designed "by committee" vs. the seemingly integrated design of the truly light duty F-150/250s. They look tough in a utilitarian sort of way...that may serve Ford well in the long run though. I would imagine that a few design tweaks might save these babies, but I'm not sure they will need saving. Mercedes trucks are really ugly, but does "pretty" sell these types of vehicles?

Time will tell. The new Fords are meant for work and seem to be ready for it! It's a great platform and I think they'll do fine.
  • lwflwf Member Posts: 223
    The Ram doesn't look like am original to everyone. As a matter of fact, the front end appears to be a copy of the 1941-1945 army trucks. But I liked their looks too.
  • fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    I set this up to discuss the "buttuglyness" of the new big fords. It is not an attack on anyones selfesteem. I am meerly pointing out that the truck is really ugly. Ownership of such a truck just shows that you care more about functionallity than looks. Chevy's rework of their full size van is clearly the worst abomination on the road. See... I dont just pick on fords.
  • MotormouthMotormouth Member Posts: 99
    out that "Butt-Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. What is butt ugly to one person is pleasant and a thing of beauty to another.

Then I stopped by a Ford Dealer yesterday.

While I still say that ugly is in the eye of the beholder, I have to admit my eyes have beheld the most ugly truck I've ever seen. It's a truck only a dealer could love.

Maybe that look will catch on... about the same time Dan Quayle gets elected President.

Yeachhhh!
    I heard that joke in the 70s, but they used Reagan.
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    I will second that ugly Chevy van vote. Nasty looking thing...Haven't seen many on the street, maybe thats why.
    Your right, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
    Which reminds me of one my favorite jokes; Riding a moped is like having fat girl friend, they are fun to ride but I wouldn't want my friends to see me riding one.

I guess can see how having a butt ugly, but kick [non-permissible content removed] nasty V-10 F35O would appeal to some guys. Just do something with that grill, hopefully the aftermarket suppliers will remedy that. For chevy's van...sorry its terminal.
    I had problems with the appearance of the new F-150 trucks when they first came out, but they also have grown on me. I'm still lukewarm on the 2wd F-150 models, but I think the 4wd models, especially with the 17 inch tires and off-road package look really sharp. As for the new SuperDuty trucks, I liked the appearance of them from the start, and still do. I guess it's personal opinion. I'm eagerly looking forward to getting my 4wd V-10 F-350. Regardless of the opinion on the appearance, the Superduty 4wd V-10 F-350 is the best overall built truck when compared to the same models from the competition.....in my opinion.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    They've hardly hit the road or been put to use, and they're already the best built trucks?

I'd be a little more hesitant on those comments. I will give you that ford has in general built tough trucks. I've been on west texas ranches were i've seen fords and chevys both take such a pounding that would make Uncle Sam proud to be an american. so ford has image on their side. But i have seen some little blunders from different divisions of ford that make me scratch my head. good luck with your truck. personally, i think it'll be a good one, but i won't get into looks...
    cdean,

You're right about not knowing how it will perform in the long run. I was referring to the design differences amongst the comparable models of the competition. The changes Ford has made are all improvements over the 1997 Ford models. The transmissions, suspension, brakes, etc. have all been improved, and the 1997 heavy duty trucks certainly weren't dogs.

The V-10 has less horsepower than the Dodge V-10, but it gets more horsepower per liter. All indications are that it is a better built, more efficient engine that should result in a longer life and better gas mileage. Not that the Dodge engine is a piece of junk. It appears to be a very good engine also, but the engine is only one component of the overall package, and horsepower and torque are only two components of the engine, albeit very important components. The horsepower difference isn't significant, and for those people needing significant torque, the diesel engine is going to be the engine of choice, not the V-10.

Other differences include four wheel disc brakes and I also believe there is a difference between the leaf springs vs coil springs on the front end. I don't have all of my vehicle info on the comparisons here at the office, so I'm just tossing out a few things I seem to recall when I was doing my research.

I'll admit that when I did my comparisons, I started out from a Ford-bias point of view, but nothing I saw convinced me that the competition beat this new Ford. The Ford heavy duty trucks have always been at the front of the pack and have been the preferred vehicles of fleet managers. This vehicle appears to be a significant improvement over the 1997 model truck which was already leading this segment of the market. This competition is all on paper for now. We won't know for a couple years how this new truck performs over time, but I suspect it will continue the strong tradition and reputation that the Ford heavy duty trucks have earned.

Just to appease anyone who might think I wandered from the topic, I'll tie it in by saying that beauty isn't only skin deep. All indications are that this is one tough truck, inside and out. My guess is that the majority of fleet managers will continue to see the beauty of the SuperDuty when it comes time to place those next orders. And like I said, I like the exterior appearances.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Dodge is like a model in appearance: sassy without substance. Looks are deceiving and good-looking trucks will go as far a smoker in a marathon.
    I'll take a butt-ugly Ford or a dull Chevy any day over that male sheep. Hey, I like that! A male sheep!
    Just joshing with you Dodge guys---they are the best looking.
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    I think the 99's are the kind of truck where color and option packages make a huge difference in the overall buttugliness or beauty of each individual truck. The XL's dont have the same headlights as the XLT and it looks totally different to me. If you see one in saddle tan, and a white one sitting right next to it, they look different to me. The body lines are hidden or more pronounced with a change in color. I also think you have to close your eyes and imagine what a crewcab short box F350 in white would look like with 33 inch tires and a lund superviser and a few more goodies I have every intention of putting on my baby when I get my dream come true. Not that I am obsessed or anything like that.
  • rmoseleyrmoseley Member Posts: 1
    I have to agree with the butt-ugly side of this issue. I saw my first '99 stepside the other day (just getting into the market) and I immediately put my finger down my throat. Where the heck are we going with these trucks that look like they've got a nose full of, well, I might have said snott, but let's say "mucus"? And lines down the side like a proto-jellyfish? All I want is a tough truck with clean, reasonably straight lines. Doll up the inside of the cab all you want....
  • naynay Member Posts: 7
    I agree with Brutus about the f150 with the off-road package. Looks awesome. As far as the 4x2 versions, they look like they are running on 'toytires'. I have a hard time with the flaresides too. can anybody tell me why you would want a flareside and cut down on bed size. isn't this a truck we are talking about?? - nay
    I like the longbed stylesides, but some people don't need all of the bed space. They're looking for a tough, sporty looking truck that will give them the flexibility of occassionally hauling some stuff in the back, and will also give them the potential to tow some toys they may have or may buy in the future. One thing I've always said is that you should buy the vehicle that best meets your needs. More power to anyone who chooses a pickup over a car.

There is a black F-150 with the off-road package that I see cruising around my neck of the woods. I've heard all the knocks against black, but this is one awesome looking truck.
    I just saw the most beautiful "buttuglyford". It was a F350 crew cab duelly that was light tan metalic. What made it beautiful was the fact that it was towing a THIRTY FOOT BOAT!!! Absolutely awesum. [non-permissible content removed] still had the dealer tags...so did the boat. Another thing that throws me with the light colored trucks is the black vertical door handles. I guess it is impracticle to have hoziontal handles with such a high truck.
    On Tuesday, I finally saw the first two Superduty trucks that I have seen on the road in the Dallas area. Both looked awesome. One was a 2wd white truck. The other was a 4wd dark olive color that looked really sharp. I still say they look more like the old Fords than the Dodge Ram. The headlights are a dead giveaway, and there is sharp drop off from the middle of the hood to the headlights. Basically, the appearance changes from the current model were an increase in grille size, necessity a slightly higher hood over the grille and a larger bumper. Hopefully, I will start seeing more of them. I didn't see any yesterday.
    I meant to say that the Ford does NOT have a sharp drop off from the middle of the hood to the headlights, which is what gives the Ram the big rig resemblance.
    Brutus, I see them every day, all over town. I guess thats because I'm out all over town all day.
    There where several down in Big Bend week before last also.
    I'm starting to see them more often. I saw two more last night on my way in from Arlington to go to the Stars game at Reunion. One was prairie tan and one was dark blue. These are sharp looking rigs on the road. I don't see anything butt ugly about them at all. But beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I will hopefully be-holding one in 6-7 weeks.
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    they've got some new lines on them that haven't been seen before. if it's not the norm, then it is usually dubbed ugly at first. once they are more numerous, people will get used to them. when ford did the '97 f150, i thought they were ugly as sin, so did a lot of old ford faithfuls i knew who scoffed at the fact they were going to buy something that looked like that. I still don't like all the curves on the f150, but i don't think it is ugly, it has grown on me. same way with the big fords. if you like what you drive, thats all that really matters.
    I'm one of those Ford faithfuls who scoffed at the F-150 redesign at first, but like you, it grew on me. I was still glad to see the Superduty come out with the look it has.
    Weels and trim can make a big difference between ugly, and beautiful. I think the new Ford heavy duty is nice looking. I don't really like the look of the side windows, the way they are cut down, and I don't like the look of the cloth upholstery. I love those big slide out mirrors though..
    I thought the New F150, and the New Dodge where ugly at first, now I like them. Dodge's interior was butt ugly until this year, now I the 98 interior is the best of the three. I think anyway..
This discussion has been closed.