Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• michael_lee76michael_lee76 Member Posts: 45
    Thanks for your quick reply.

As soon as I read your message, I changed it with the temporary tire came with Forester. What I'm wondering is how fast can I drive with this tire? and how long can I drive? My dealership is about 15 miles away and can be only reached by highway...

by the way, the screw is on the side wall. they have to replace it now!! but how do I prove that in fact they are the one who put the screw there? if they deny, I don't know how to prove it other than saying I noticed the moment I drove off the dealer's parking lot...
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Michael,

Unfortunately, you stand about a 0% chance of proving your case. If you had stopped immediately and could show that it happened on their property, you might have gotten some consideration. Your only chance now would be to retrace your drive thru their site and find a pile of screws that you drove over to show that there was some negligence on their part.

You need to take a reasonable mans approach to this and ask yourself how you would respond if the situation were reversed.

Steve
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    As soon as I read your message, I changed it with the temporary tire came with Forester

Hmm? Do the new Foresters no longer come with a full size spare?

John
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    I agree with Steve -- there's no way to know where you picked up the screw. In fact, if they did shine your tires, then I would bet the screw was picked up after you left the dealer. This is one of those things that happens every now and then (I had a tire sidewall sliced by a rusty metal VIN tag laying in the road one day). Best thing to do is shop around and buy a replacement tire for the best price you can find.

Craig
    No. they don't. they only come with donut type tires.
    Thanks for your reply guys.

The screw was located toward the inner part of the tire. so from outside, it was hard to see.

They first agreed to fix the tire. However, once they saw the screw stuck on the side wall, they said they could not replace the tire. After 10 minutes of discussion, they agreed to see what they could do since I just bought the car there and it only had 800 miles on it.
    They were very nice and helpful but I don't know if they can replace the tire though. at least I will know they will try to find a best solution for me.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The fact that it's new is good. Great news, actually.

Why?

Because you only pay to replace one tire, the tread on the others will match.

If the tires had 20,000 miles on them you'd be in deep. You would need 4 new tires, quadruple the cost, since the worn ones would not match the new tire (unless you paid to have it "shaved").

Be glad that it happened now, and not after a lot of wear.

-juice
    Michael,

It is indeed gratifying to see that they are trying to work with you. Perhaps you are among the lucky ones who has found a decent dealer?

Steve
    They are really nice indeed. That's why I'm buying another car from them.
  • sschmidsschmid Member Posts: 28
    I have a 97 Impreza 5 speed need to replace the front disc pads. Usually I use a haynes or Chiltons manual to guide me through these things but there is none that cover the impreza. Can someone post the steps for me. As I was searching this forum someone mentioned "adjusting the hillholder if you have a manual tranny?" Not that I know what that means
    Where are you located? I need a decent dealer!!!

BTW, how is your Ody? My '02 EX is about to roll 50k. Other than the tranny replacement, it has been very reliable, although it sounds like hell on all but smooth roads. Too much body flex making the sliders and tailgate squeak and groan.

Steve
    Guess what guys. They decided to replace the tire for me!!! Man, I'm really happy with this dealer. I'm gonna purchase another car from them again! The general manager Dan was very helpful. I only spoke to him for 5 minutes and he decided to replace the tire for free!

The dealer is White Bear Acura/Subaru in Minnesota.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Under warranty the short block on our RAV was replaced at 52K do to an idling issue they could never eliminate. I thought this was a good thing untill I found out it did not mean I was getting an entirely new engine. After another 22K miles I was getting a grey puff of smoke out the tail pipe noticable only in cold weather. No oil drips are noticable in our concrete driveway. We are ignoring it rather than have a valve job. I' would have thought they would have replaced the seals with the short engine block. I'd think that after only 22K Toyota would have warrantied the seals. No way. First the car now had 72K miles and was out of all warranty. 2nd, they said they were not even sure the seals were replaced. (I wonder if the timing belt was?) I called Toyota and they only offered me a $1K rebate off any 'new' car. I can make my best deal and then contact them and they well send me the cash. Still I was quite upset. Even if they are still the original seals ,should they be going already?

My point here is that the new engine with all new parts sounds like a better way to go. I'd think it would come with some sort of warranty. You likely could then sell it for more than you can get now...though still would suffer a loss you would not expect on a Subaru. Have you called SOA again and explained the story from scratch. I'd even mail them a packet of all paperwork and a lenghtly letter describing the issue. That may make more of an impact than a phone call. That is what I did with the RAV. It did not get me a repair but did get me the $1K credit towards a new Toyota. Ironically I am thinking of ditching the credit and buying a Subaru. The Rav is too small and the new 'bigger' one will likely cost too much...and we want a new car now. BUT, perhaps Subaru would off you something similar. You could even ask...that is if you would consider another Subaru. Good Luck!
  • barriostkdbarriostkd Member Posts: 71
    Hi Guys,

I had a 22mm Perrin Rear Sway Bar and Whiteline endlinks installed on my '04 WRX sedan back in May. Handling noticeably improved w/ the upgrade, but the ride became noisy when going over speed bumps or road imperfections. Lately it's become even noisier w/ a lot of squeaky sounds even when I turn into my driveway or going over bumps at 5mph.

I've never had aftermarket sway bars prior to this, so I was wondering if this is normal. Or is this something I need to get checked. Anybody had any similar experience w/ aftermarket sway bars?

Thanks!

James B.
  • rpilrpil Member Posts: 5
    Will the driver's side tail assembly from a 2001 Subaru OBW fit a 1996? How about a 1998 driver's side tail assembly; will it fit a 1997?
  • lfdallfdal Member Posts: 679
    Could be the swaybar bushings. I'd look at cleaning them up and lubricating them with something that's reasonably weather resistant and agreeable to whatever the bushing material is.....

I know when I upgraded my swaybar, the bushings are rubber so I used lithium grease (I think). No noise at all.

If it was noisy from the get-go I'd have whoever did the install double check the torque on the endlinks and overall bracket snugness in general.

If you're hearing any thunks make sure the endlinks aren't hitting the calipers - I don't know about the WRX but on the FXT there isn't a lot of clearance between the bar and the banjo bolts on the calipers, in fact one vendor sells a kit to stop the swaybar from "walking" so it can't drift into the calipers.

HTH

Larry
    2000 to 2004 was a 'series', as was 1995 thru 1999. I would think that taillight assemblies within each series would be compatible, but it is possible that there will be minor running changes.

Steve
  • maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Thanks for the reply.

I decided to get a new car after getting feed back from other members here, talking to a few car buddies of mine, and my financial advisor. Basically, there is no way I can recoup the cost of repairs or even engine replacement with the increase in resale value. It makes more sense to buy new and worry free. My advisor suggested getting a car with a very long warranty considering how long I keep my cars. So, right now I am leaning toward the new Suzuki Grand Vitara. checked the boards and they dont' seem to have a lot of problems, the redesigned version with the luxury package have everything I want in a car, so I don't need to add any aftermarket stuff.

As for SOA, they have the file as well as the repair orders from the two header jobs. Right now I am a bit turned off by Subaru, not by their cars, but by the directions and decisions SOA are making for the brand. I am going to hold off buying another Subaru for myself until the path of SOA and NA Subaru products become clearer. I would buy a Subaru for my girlfriend when ever she decides to.

Mike
    The new Vitara has not been out nearly long enough to know of problems yet -- personally, I would wait for the second model year on that one. Also, if warranties are important, I would buy an extended warranty on a vehicle I really want rather than just shop for vehicles with standard long warranties (which may not be comprehensive anyhow).

Craig
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Google "mods+scooby"
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Hi , I have a problem on my 2004 Forester front speakers I had new aftermarket ones put in just after purchase that now the left one stopped working. The tweeter and rear are working just not the front left. Should I take it in or could it be a wire that I can get to my self without messing things up. Thanks for any suggestions....
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    The most likely causes are wiring or a mechanical/thermal fault with the front left speaker. It could be the deck (cd receiver) but that's a lot less likely.

If you have never done it before, I would not recommend disassembling the door panel to get to the speaker unless you feel pretty comfortable as a hobbyist mechanic / DIYer.

~Colin
  • maverick1017maverick1017 Member Posts: 212
    Craig,

Yeah, I have the same thought in the back of my head. Personally, I REALLY want the Xterra, but I am not the only one who is going to be in the car all the time. I do have to take into account my girlfriend's opinion, as we all know what would happen if the fairer gender is not happy... She don't really like the Xterra, only because it has a high step in height and she is short, and it's on a truck chasis while she is used to the smooth ride of the Forester, and she thinks it's too big :confuse: . I am still trying to sell her on the Xterra, there has to be middle ground there somewhere. ;)

To still be on topic, the Forester's engine is still running fine, I noticed that if I get the engine thru that 2K - 2.5K rpm range quickly I don't get the rattling noise. Of course my MPG would suffer abit.

Mike
    On the '98 Forester the grille cover is plastic and basically just pops off. I wonder if it's the same for yours.

Anyone?

I'd suspect the connection right at the speaker.

-juice
  • mnfmnf Member Posts: 405
    Yea it looks like its all one unit with the door panel I guess I will have to take it in as not having full sound is not a option. Thanks for the help... Matt
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    I agree with Craig... extended warranties can be purchased so it is better to get the car you find the best fit for you (and your girlfriend!) ESPECIALLY if you plan to keep it for a "long time." From what I can tell, the new Frontier (extends to X-Terra?) is a very solid vehicle, but be careful with Nissan as they will not give an inch on the warranty, even if something is a blatant mfg defect. They honor the warranty, but don't expect to get any help if your odometer is at 36,001 and something fails. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    Our 2004 Forester 2.5X with 205XX miles suffered a flat last night, front right. I'm not sure what caused it -- the roads around here are already so bad right now, I'm genuinely afraid of how they're going to look after a couple freeze/thaw cycles.

Anyway, I've got the full-size spare on there now, and I need to have someone look at the tire to determine if it can be fixed. If I pressure down the spare to match the other three, I ought to be all right driving for a few dozen or so miles, yes?

(Extra credit question: if the flat can't be repaired, any all-season replacements to recommend? I don't care about noise, handling and snow/water performance are my priorities.)

Thanks,

Tim
  • bgsntthbgsntth Member Posts: 92
    I'm with Larry. It is the urethane bushings that are squeeking, which is an unfortunate consequence of most urethane bushings. Whiteline baffles their urethane bushings, and I think Hotchkis has a little nipple built-in so that you can periodically insert grease. I know others have had squeek problems with Perrin, so you might try Teflon tape in addition to the lithium grease.
    Tim,

I don't know if newer Foresters have a limited slip rear diff, but if they do, you will cause the least amount of rotational disturbance if you rotate the odd tire to the front. And yes, in theory, removing a few lbs will compensate for the slightly thicker tread (greater circumference).

I'll pass on the extra credit part!

Steve
  • kev_xt_ownerkev_xt_owner Member Posts: 41
    The 2004 Forester X does not have the limited slip rear differential (XS & XT do).

But if you get really concerned about the effects of a different sized spare on your wheels, read up in your owner's manual on using a fuse to change your vehicle from AWD to FWD.

Kevin
  • rsginnrsginn Member Posts: 2
    I have read these boards till I am crosseyed and I can't find the solution to my problem - I see lots of others with the problem though so I am not sure if it is encouraging or not.

In February I had my 2002 Outback Cleaned (engine power washed too - I know big mistake don't remind me) right after I did that ALL my indicator lights came on and the car died within two days. I live overseas so they had to order my part (alternator) - they replaced it - no issues till Sept. I left to go to the states for a month and when I returned the indicator lights came on again - just brake and battery this time. The car died the next day. They ordered ANOTHER alternator and it died in 5 min. So they ordered a third (I am without a car for a month at this point and my husband is deployed to Iraq - what fun). I picked it up yesterday - the car started and THE INDICATOR LIGHTS CAME ON!!! These guys are not Subaru people and I don't have a dealer here - The car is dead again and I am at a loss - so are they. Can anyone tell me if they have figured this problem out?

Thanks for your help. :cry:
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    Is that the sibling to the Hyndai Tuscon or Sante Fe? If so it should be a good car as the Hyndai's appear to be improving to the point of becoming a major player. I am not saying they are quite as refined at this point but they soon may have a good enough reputation to increase their prices to that of Toyota/Nissan/Honda/Subaru and lower their overall warranties. We considered a Tuscon and Sante Fe which are selling very cheap and have a 5/60K bumper to bumper warranty that you can extend to 10 years. You likely can buy a better equipped one with an extended warranty for less money than a Subaru/Toyota etc. without an extended warranty. The big question: Is it worth the aggravation of having a bumper to bumper warranty if you are conatantly in the shop for repairs....dropping the car, getting the dealer to experience the problem etc can all be a drag...I went thru this with my old Mystique. It was a wonderfull car to drive but always in the shop. Most work was warranted but it still was a pain. Still I think Hyndai's might be worth a shot, everyone seems to like them and I have hear very few horror stories. The continue to improve and I have seen no signs of that changing.

Why did we turn away? A new Sante Fe is coming and we did not want to wait (it was suppose to get real big too), gas mileage on the Tuscon I thought was questionable, and finally a great offer on a Forester or Outback in my part of the country. (Plus the wife was surprisingly agreeable to the F or O after wanting a sit-up high SUV)

Good luck!
    Nope, the Suzuki doesn't share any parts with Hyundai or Kia.

Perhaps you were thinking of the Reno, which is build in Korean at GM-DAT (formerly Daewoo) and badged as a Suzuki. Daewoo was never related to Hyundai or Kia, though.

rsginn: you must have some sort of electrical short. That's not an easy problem to trace, but I'd have a dealer look at that before replacing another alternator.

-juice
    What does mods+scooby MEAN !
    I agree that it must be a short outside of the alternator. Perhaps some water was forced into the fuse panel that is under the hood or some other location? Something sounds most likely corroded, but again, it will be tough to trace the exact point of failure. The best option may be to find a schematic of the wiring system and trace the lines for the alternator's regulator feedback system to start.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • usmc2usmc2 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I just got back from Iraq myself and I understand how hard it can be for you.
    Ithink there is a short somewhere in the electrical system and it causes your system to overload and all kinds of problems can come from there. Your car has bunch of plugs attached to engine harness and sensors. If I was working on your car I would disengage all the plugs and air blow inside each of them. After that I would monitor voltage and how battery is getting charged by alternator.
    Short isn't easy think to find but not impossible.
    Good luck!
  • rsginnrsginn Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the ideas - I have turned it over to the Germans to try and figure it out - they don't make the best cars in the world for nothing! - Welcome home and thanks for your service.
    I figured it out Scoobymods.com. Thanks !! everything I needed to know was there.
    What you received was 'secret code'. The rules of engagement here prohibit the spelling out of another sites name, such as you did. Our hosts reserve the right to delete your post.

Steve
    Hahah... yes, and considering how unreliable their cars are, they should have plenty of practice with troubleshooting! :P
    Yes, welcome home and thanks!

Craig
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    "The rules of engagement here prohibit the spelling out of another sites name"

Especially sites that have forums! They have a great photo how-to section.

Glad you figured it out.

Jim
  • rose8rose8 Member Posts: 1
    Having the same problem with my 06 Forester. Two months old. Took it in for my first oil change noticed a very loud noise in the rear as well as smoke coming from the engine. Called the service dept. and was told just a little oil spill, would burn off soon and noise was normal. Well after a week still smoking and making noise insisted it be checked! -recalled leaking oil filter and only after I had three different techs checked the noise the manager said it was the fuel pump and would replace it!

Rose
  • matt_ukmatt_uk Member Posts: 1
    I'm VERY interested in the '05 Outback 3.0R Sedan, but the handbrake digs into my leg when I'm driving. I'm sure I'm not the fist person to notice this problem. Does anyone know of any modifications that can be performed to move it about an inch to the right?

At the dealer, we looked at the whole handbrake assembly, and it seems like the whole thing is set up at an angle. I wonder why Subaru did this? Such a shame to ruin such a wonderful car. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.
  • smittynycsmittynyc Member Posts: 289
    Thanks to all for the feedback.

This story has a happy ending -- the tire had a nice clean puncture in the tread caused by a nail or screw or stray bullet or heaven knows what. It was easily patched, and the fine folks at Mavis Tires rebalanced it, reinstalled it, and equalized the pressure on the other three tires for the grand sum of $14.25 (with tax). They opined that the OEM tires looked like they had plenty of life left, too.

A pleasant turn of events considering I walked in the place fearing the worst, ready to cough up $500.
  • srbakallsrbakall Member Posts: 1
    Have been advised that using snow tires will cause the computer to have problems analyzing traction and therefore will not do as well as with all season tires. Also snows are taller and have different imprint that the AWD system cannot adjust to. Please comment.
    Bob
    Nope, I think you got incorrect info -- you can use any tire as long as they are all the same size (and of course the "correct" size is important too if you want the speedometer to read correctly). Many, many people run winter tires on their Subarus.

Craig
    In my case, if I slide my leg to the right as far as I can, the side of my calve hits the center console before my thigh hits the brake lever. But in a comfortable driving position, there's a good 1-2" of space. For reference, I'm 6-1 225lb and my seat is all the way back. Do you have the seat very far forward?

If you pull up the handbrake boot (it pops up vertically) you can see the lever. It's metal. I am guessing it could be bent (perhaps heated first) to give more room. Maybe ask the dealer if they would do that for you. I do agree that it has a definite "outward" angle to it.

Craig
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I guess I shouldn't have used snows on the 5 Subarus I have purchased then! Whoever told you this is smoking some great stuff! Just make sure the tire size is correct(actually its better to be a little narrower but try keep the diameter the same)
    Actually, quite the opposite is true! The better grip and less slippage of snows in bad weather will come as welcome relief to the AWD system, as it will have far less work to do at keeping you safe!

The only 'computer' issue you might run into could be the lack of a tire pressure warning transducer if you get your snows mounted on a set of aftermarket rims.

Steve