Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• nvynvy Member Posts: 74
    Why how could we forget.I was certainly
    amused.

later
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    No one remembers Tiny Tim (or at least admits to it). How old are you anyway Frank?

(Old Geezer)Ross
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Ross- What I'm trying to figure out is how anybody ever liked him in the first place. You listen to that song now and it's like fingernails on a chalk board!

-Frank P.
  • aussierooaussieroo Member Posts: 78
    you is one sick puppy bro

gus
  • francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    I was there (and of an age to be paying attention to such things) for them both, and a few before that. I guess "General Maintenance and Repair" is a good choice for this discussion, as we appear to be a group which is reaching that stage of our lives :-)

-wdb
  • miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    hehe good one WDB.

..Mike

• miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    MY00 Legacy/Outback central panel removal guide by Serge Nikulin <<A HREF="http://snikulin@altavista.com">snikulin@altavista.com> on the Outack mlist.

..Mike

..Mike

• wrobelcwrobelc Member Posts: 45
    On a AWD Lecacy Wagon, do you:

1) Not use any chains
    2) Put chains on front
    3) Put chains on rear
    4) Put chains on all wheels

If chains are used on just front or rear, do you need to disable the AWD.

Chuck
  • e_l_greene_l_green Member Posts: 30
    My Forester manual says don't use chains, but if I must, use them only on front, never on back or on all four wheels.

No need to disable the AWD.

Note that the above is NOT personal experience -- I live in Phoenix, AZ, it was 65 degrees outside today :-).

-E
  • francophilefrancophile Member Posts: 667
    The Legacy/OB manual says the same thing; front wheels only. I had it explained to me once upon a time by an off-roader but I don't remember the explanation well enough to repeat it.

Cheers,
    -wdb
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Juice et al: I got my differential protector yesterday. From Darlene, $55.00 no tax, no shipping - Wow. Thank you for the installation help on your web site. It's even easier on a Legacy since the exhaust clearance in good. I don't have ramps so I spent the extra time jacking the rear up and down. I also got a replacement for a broken fog light (not sure what my son hit). The factory part was quoted over $200 locally and Darlene had a fog light accessory kit, with two lights, for $20- yes, two for $20. I bought an extra kit to put on my wife's Caravan.
  • sugardogsugardog Member Posts: 41
    Chains on front only makes sense on the AT which
    distributes 90% of its power to the front wheels.
    On the MT, power is distributed evenly to all
    four wheels, so you could put chains on front,
    back, or all four wheels. But since tire diameter
    makes a difference on MT, maybe all four wheels
    is the only option. -- Sam.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Norman: if there is only one OE bra, I imagine it would fit the 2000 and earlier ones better. Though you could try one and return it if the fit isn't custom.

Roy: good to go. I may get some fogs for my Miata!

Chains in front sounds strange to me. Coming down a steep hill, you could lose the rears and swing the car around in a heartbeat.

I think Subaru is concerned with clearance. I'd get 4 very low profile chains, or just snow tires.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Tire diameter wouldn't be a problem since there would be adequet slippage in snow for the wheels, you just can't drive on dry pavement with different wheel diameters.

-mike
    I don't think that's what they are afraid of, though. It's the rear spring base, which has about 1/2 to 3/4" clearance from the rear tire on OE Foresters.

I had to get rims with a different offset to get tires 0.3" bigger, just to give you an idea.

-juice
  • buchignanibuchignani Member Posts: 30
    juice,

The subaru folk haven't extended the OE part number of the -2000s to 2001, so I assume the OE one won't fit. I really need some protection re: a late Dec trip from Vancouver to Calgary (through the Rockies). The western Cdn way to address ice and snow on the roads is cheifly to use gravel--bad news for new cars.

Norman
    The dust deflector ought to be redesigned, too, so it fits the contour of the front end.

You may have to settle for a good coat of wax.

-juice
  • koneaznykoneazny Member Posts: 2
    My 2001 Forester has an intermittent backfire
    problem. Also appears to surge a bit on hard
    acceleration (mainly second gear). The backfire
    seems to take place at the converter. Sounds
    like a throttle control problem somewhere within
    the system? The local jokers (and Sub tech line)
    have not been able to nail this problem. The
    regional Rep (finally involved) suggested a swap
    of the EMC. This produced no relief. The EMC
    is not outputting any warning data, so these
    people appear to be clueless so far. While I'm
    waiting for this snail-slow troubleshooting
    process to reach a conclusion, I thought I'd run
    it by this Topic Group. Does anyone have a clue
    what my Forester backfire problem might be?
    Is this a manual transmission Forester? (Yes, it makes a difference, for some reason!)

_Eric
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Do you happen to have a tail pipe extender - yup, I have a reason for asking -
    When I get to work, I can post a link for OB and GT owners. There can be clearance issues. While SOA cannot "recommend" something until it has been "fully tested" by our parent company, I have received good feedback regarding a set up from a company named Sure Grip (I think). They have a chain that does not cause clearance issues. I'll post from work later today.
    The company I was referring to under #77 is at

scc-chain.com - They claim that their Shur Grip Z comes in sizes that fit our vehicle. Once again, however, I am required to add this disclaimer - SOA does not endorse this product because testing hasn't been completed.

If any of you happen to have these or have tried them, please let me know what your experience has been so I can forward it on!!!
    1) How long does a recall last on a vehcile? I have an '88 XT6 and I'm not sure if the steering recall has been done or not, just curious if it would even be covered by SOA.

2) Is it true that parts departments don't need to sell parts for old subarus? I'm in the process of converting my '88 XT6 from air-suspension to non-air suspension and need to get rear springs for either the XT or XT6 but almost all the dealers in my area say "We can't order parts for XTs or XT6s"

Thanks in advance.

-mike
    I think Ken has those chains, just in case, though he hasn't ever needed them.

-juice
    Just call us with the VIN and we'll be able to see if it has been done (1-800-SUBARU3), is still open or if it is closed. In the instance of recalls, we work with NHTSA and make a determination based on the number of recalls completed. If the recall IS closed, and you have a problem, we'll help you out with it.

Related to your parts concern - there really is no set time for how long we keep parts. It usually varies based on the agreement with the parts vendor.

Hope this helps? If your dealer is looking for specific parts, ask them if they use a source called Parts Voice. This is a network for dealers that can locate, by manufacturer, specific parts that a dealer somewhere in the U. S. has in inventory. The dealer that has the part is usually willing to try and sell it. Darlene would probably be a good resource for you.

Thanks!
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Regarding your backfiring Forester, have the exhaust manifolds been checked for cracks? The heat shields on them prevent an easy visual inspection...

-Colin
    Thanks Patti. My steering isn't causeing me any problems yet, but I figured I'd check on it, tonight I'll get my VIN and call up to see if it was repaired yet or not. I just wasn't sure if the dealers (who were all very rude I might add) were giving me the run around by saying "We can't order any parts for those cars, click!"

I'm gonna contact darlene and see what she can do for me, Bell Subaru in NJ did call me back with prices which is where I'll get em unless Darlene can get me a better deal.

-mike
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    You also might want to give Flemington Subaru a call on the parts. They give AAA discounts on parts and service. When I bought an oil filter there (pre-Darlene :) ) it was $2 cheaper than Bell. Also outstanding service department and very knowledgable techs. Bell is 15 min. from me and Flemington is 30 but it's worth it.
    Dennis
    I forgot about flemington. I called Hillside, and SI and 2 in Brooklyn. I'll give em a ring if Darlene doesn't make it into work this week.

-mike
    Just in case some parts are no longer sold (which sounds unlikely), don't overlook junk yards.

For little things like clips and such they can be a savior.

The catch is there are few Soobs there. I only saw very old wrecked Loyales.

-juice
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    I have a squeak/groan that emanates from inside the roof of my 00 GT wagon. It seems to come either from the center post of the roof rail or perhaps the moonroof.

What part of my warranty covers this? the reason I ask is that I am nearing 12k miles.

Thanks!

bit
    As soon as my wife starts talking about keeping her leased 99 OB Ltd or not, things start happening to it. It has 38,000 miles and out of warranty.
    - Engine rough at idle and accelerating between 25-45 mph. At first we thought it was the tires and had them rotated and the wheels balanced. It still happens even at idle. The unused seat belts rattle loudly if they're not secure. Could it be the engine mounts? Using different fuel or oil doesn't seem to help. I even tried an ECU reset. My '97 OBS purrs like a kitten.
    - Rear passenger window switch with faux :) wood trim keeps popping out. The left side of the trim doesn't "catch" when pushed in.
    - Interior Dome light works intermittently. The past two days it has been fine. All day Sunday it didn't work. Light bulb looks ok.

Any tips appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Dennis
  • nu2soobnu2soob Member Posts: 7
    If your problem is engine related I would think its covered under your 5yr/60K mi power train warranty. Good luck.
    Dennis: rough idle is hard to say. Did you do a full 30k maintenance? That doesn't call for plugs or plug wires, so you could try changing those.

I'd just use an epoxy for that wood trim. If there was a clip that broke, give Darlene a call and she'll track down the part #.

For the dome light, I'd open it up and use a soutering iron to retouch the connections. Sometimes a hairline crack can cause an intermittent problem they way you describe.

-juice
    for the tips, juice.
    The 30k service was done. I believe the plugs were also changed because that particular dealer does more than the book calls for (my plugs were changed at 30k on my OBS). I'll check though.
    As for the plastic, I thought of gluing it but, I believe you would need access to it in case you have to fix the window button itself. Nothing looks broken but then again it could be.
    Dennis
    Call me (actually us - I can be tough to reach). Groans - nope, shouldn't be happening - let's see what we can find out. If you are not happy with what you are being told, as the Rep. you speak to to review the file with me.

Out of the 12/unlimited adjustment warranty - hey, we know everyone is working with limited time. Let us know and we'll see if we can help.

Vibration - again, call us. The worse that can happen is that our Rep. will contact your dealer to see what the dealer has checked out.

Overall - If you're not happy, let the Rep. know that you are a friend of mine. I'll look at the file to see if something was missed or if more can be done. No promises of course, because a dealer needs to be able to duplicate the problem. But, you have my honest commitment to help our Reps. do our best for all of you.
  • koneaznykoneazny Member Posts: 2
    My Forester is a 5 speed. It does indeed have a
    chrome-clad tailpipe beautifier (any affect this
    has is purely aesthetic). Do Subaru's have a history with "cracked exhaust manifolds"? - sounds odd. At any rate, the car exhibited this behavior right out-of-the-box.
    My assumption is that there's a throttle regulation device of some kind (no shop manual to confirm) that may be the culprit. Either that or the EMC firmware needs an upgrade. Hey, maybe I've stumbled upon a manufacturers defect? Even the Japanese are guilty occasionally. Thanks...
    Mark K.
    new2 - Thanks. Didn't think about the 5/60.

Patti - A BIG thank you to you and SoA for really coming through on my clutch (and dealer service) problem. SoA's commitment to customer service really shone through in my case. Tom made me feel like I was SoA's only customer. I'm sure my wife and I will be a 2 'Ru family for a while. I should take you guys to dinner.:-)
    Dennis
    Do Subaru's have a history with "cracked exhaust manifolds"?

Not really, but some 2.5RS are showing up that way and since it's the same engine I was curious. All of the ones I've heard reporting the header problem though had at least 15,000 miles on them though, so I doubt it's your problem.

-Colin
    Nice to hear your story, Dennis.

Too bad I've never needed anything fixed! Well, I'll manage...

-juice
    FYI, I just posted a short technical description the EJ25 SOHC head over in the Impreza 2.5RS discussion in sportscars. I think the java shortcut to it is: >

-Colin
    Thanks for sharing that. Cool stuff.

I'm sure the DOHC Phase I looks a lot different. Your cam is in the center and controls both intake and exhaust valves.

Ours has two, one each for intake/exhaust. That plus the rockers must be positioned quite differently. I believe we have smaller valves, too.

-juice
    Trey Cobb's tech article on the DOHC heads actually goes into considerable detail:

http://www.cobbtuning.com/tech/dohc/index.html

-Colin
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Thanks for your description. Very cool, and I learned a lot! That is actually one of the best packaging jobs I've seen -- they did a remarkable job actuating two cylinder's worth of valves with one camshaft, especially since it's packed into such a compact space. Really nice engineering.

Craig
    Note that Honda, in particular, has been using forked camshaft followers and a single cam for quite some time both on their motorcycles and in their cars. In 1982 I bought a Honda XL350 enduro bike that had a single cam activating 4 valves using forked followers. In 1988 my mother bought a Honda 1600cc station wagon that had a single cam activating 16 valves, again using forked actuators.

Subaru's innovation is the trick roller followers combined with the forked valve actuators. Looking at the heads, the differences between the old DOHC head and the new SOHC head show that the new head has some significant design advantages over the old head. The shallower valve angle allows better breathing and a more regular combustion chamber, allowing adjusting of the compression ratio more easily acomplished (if you're Subaru, at least, and can change your castings at will!), while having the camshaft in the middle, rather than at the top and bottom, allows more space at the top and bottom for the intake and exhaust ports. And the roller followers allow better breathing too by allowing the valves to open and close faster and thus spend less time in the partially-open and partially-closed states that don't breathe as much. Very impressive technology. Just important to realize that Subaru did not develop this technology from scratch -- there is significant cross-pollination of ideas between the Japanese auto and motorcycle manufacturers, and the ideas behind this head mostly originated with Honda (which first developed similar heads in 1982 or so for their enduro motorcycles).

The only downside of the new heads is that you no longer have the hydraulic valve lash adjustment, meaning that the valve adjustment needs checking every 30,000 miles or so (or maybe even every 15,000 miles, no matter what the owner's manual says).

-E
  • chriscoulterchriscoulter Member Posts: 17
    On the left tire it works fine stop to stop rolling back and forth in the driveway. I had to cut the test short when I realized it was 11:00 pm (my driveway runs right next to the neighbor's bedroom.) This is Santa Barbara, a pretty mild winter, you know?. I began to imagine my neighbor saying to his wife, "What the ..?? Mary, check it out - Chris is putting chains on his tires..!!??!!What in tarnation was the forecast?"
    Will try both in tandem at next chance but there seemed to be no clearance problem.

Juice, re: your comment about the back end coming around down a hill if only the fronts had chains;
    Wouldn't the ABS let the rears roll at that point? Otherwise all FWD cars would need AW chains, right?

chris out
    Eric - I used to own an '87 XL250. Yep, SOHC, 4 valves, just one cylinder.

Chris - what if the brakes are not engaged at all, though? Imagine a long, winding down hill that you use lower gears so the brakes don't bake. That's what I meant.

Hopefully the AWD would shift torque (in reverse?) to the front. Make sense?

-juice
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    Hi all,

I was just wondering what you guys/gals use to pump your tires up with. Hand pump? Foot pump? 12 volt? Gas station? Is there a brand that you use/recommend?

TIA,
    -Dan
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Air compressor. Can't beat it plus you will find a million other uses for it like scaring the crap out of your cat and exploding the neighbors beach ball. Great thing to put on your Christmas wish list. And next year... air tools!

bit
    I found a very small 12 volt air pump that fits inside the spare tire well of my Forester. It doesn't pump very fast (patience!), but it's nice to know that if I ever need my spare, I can get air into it (who ever checks their spare when they check the air in their tires?!). I think I got this air pump at some place like Walmart or Kmart, it's definitely not quality merchandise, but it works.