Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    miksmimiksmi Member Posts: 1,246
    stevek, LOL! Sounds like another OCD member!

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    Dennis,

What are some better aftermarket brakes that are out there?

Thanks,

Leo
  • Options
    nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Dennis - While on a business trip once, the Camry's pads went. My wife took it to a local Midas shop. When I got home the first thing I did was take the car for a drive to test the brakes. Big clunking noise when going over bumps. I knew exactly what they did. After removing the wheel my suspicion was confirmed. They only reattached one of the two bolts. Man was I pissed. Went back to the the shop and they told me it was no big deal. I lost it (thinking my wife and kids were in this car) and scared a few customer away. I hate having other people work on my cars. Anyway, that Midas shop is no longer in business.

Steve - like the idea of removing the pan. Better than shaking the car! Maybe I should just replace the hoses with new ones.;)

-Greg
  • Options
    hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    My hat is off to you man, you definitely need help, next time I get any grief from my my wife I have marked post #1094 to refer to.Ha!Ha!.
    Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    VSD sounds like a marketing gimmick to charge more money. I doubt the pad material is any different from one car to the next.

Greg - I burn my arms every time I change my oil (hot oil drains more completely). I've actually learned to use a diaper. Works like a charm to contain the spill, so my hands are clean.

Do you actually remove the oil pan? I may do that at 60k, but wow...

-juice
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    No, he was joking. :-D

I do seriously yank the whole engine to change my oil though... hang it on the cherrypicker and shake all the bad stuff out.

-Colin
  • Options
    originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    Yeah well, I started walking everywhere because I don't want to do any cold start/short trip wear on any of my vehicles.

bit
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    I drove back to the body shop in Santa Cruz today to remove some gunk on the side of my door panel that somehow got there while they were performing the repair.

While I was there, I asked about the finish and the manager pointed out that they intentionally don't sand the finish completely flat so that it matches the factory paint a little more. He pointed out that most cars come from the factory with a little bit of "orange peel" and a completely flat finish would stand out. He pointed out some non-repaired panels that indeed had a bit of orange peel going on.

I'm satisfied.

Ken (OCD lite)
  • Options
    There ya go. We should meet up some time to compare orange peel. I don't even turn the flourescent lights on in my garage anymore because I don't want to see the swirl marks in the finish of my Studebaker.

bit
  • Options
    armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I will be starting an OCD workshop. As the resident Psychologist on this board I feel the need to made a valuable contribution to my colleagues. Actually there will be two separate workshops: one to control/decrease obsessive-compulsive behaviours, and a second to learn how to be obsessive-compulsive. Sign up by email. My rates are highly competitive.

Ross
  • Options
    I'm in for both. Wanna control it and make sure I'm doing it right at the same time... striving for the perfect OCD.

bit
  • Options
    that's not bad!! You are well on your way.

Ross

P.S. With your qualifications you could hire on as a consultant. Interested?
  • Options
    anibalbanibalb Member Posts: 193
    Hey guys,

I just had a few laughs reading this OCD thread. Great stuff. I thought that I was the only perfectionist. Boy am I wrong. I like the idea of taking the pan out every oil change. Mybe I should try it. Here is an idea. Let's make disposable cars. 3k and get a new one! Taking the engine out of the car to do an oil change.......ha ha ha.

Now here is a true story. It took me 8 hours to do an oil change on a VW Rabbit once. I remember everyone making fun of me especially the manager at the autoparts store. A few years later he told me that he ran into the same problem as he was working on someone elses VW. I laughed so hard!

What happens is that there is no room and we had to take out everything to tear the filter apart because the moron who put it in last did not wet the rubber seal with oil!!!! How is that for a laugh.
  • Options
    Wanna control it and make sure I'm doing it right at the same time hehe I had to add that one to my profile.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    this before, but....watch out for "lifetime" warranty deals. Our pads had a good mix between soft and hard. Hard pads make more noise and can have an effect on the rotors. We have some noisy pads, but it is kind of mid-range between too soft and too hard. Other vehicles (Mercedes I think) us a soft pad that is very quiet, but requires frequent changing. Ah, science- Harder pads have more vibration and really hit the rotors causing more noise. But, they won't wear too fast. I guess it is up to the individual how much noise they will tolerate. They will last, however.

Patti
  • Options
    leomortleomort Member Posts: 453
    if hard brake pads are rougher on the rotors than I'd rather stay away from them. Can get two pads replaced for the cost of one rotor.

Leo
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are known to go through brakes rather quickly on late models. My dad's '97 goes through them every 10-15K, my cousin's OB goes through them ever 15-20K. My '97 rodeo went almost 40K on the rears, and 65K on the fronts! Go figure. I usually buy the best brake pads I can get my hands on @ the local shop. usually semi-metallic, since my driving usually warrents good brakes and good tires!

-mike
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Leo - regarding aftermarket pads, ask the others since I've never ventured there. Try the "mods" section.

Greg - The goofballs that worked on my car at Meineke didn't know how to take off my OBS wheel covers. In black writing it says, "Turn this way --->" (or something like that). The manager came to me and said, it's taking a long time because there's about a hundred screws on the wheel cover. I had to go in the garage and show them how to do it. It took me 2 seconds and they were working on it for an hour. When I picked up the car they didn't even tighten them properly. I went back and raised a little sand (the manager didn't want to be bothered because he was eating lunch) and they eventually had to find another OBS and switch the wheel covers.

Dennis
  • Options
    My VW Golf went through them with great appetite. In 100k km. (60k miles) I went through 2 complete sets of pads, the third set was well worn and the rotors were in need of their second replacement. Most of the driving was in the city, but it was a 5 speed and I drive very conservatively. By contrast, when I had my 10k km. oil change I was told the pads on my '01 Forester S auto were 5% worn. I realize that I'm not going to get 200k out of the set, but the wear is likely to be much better than on the Golf. I should also point out that Rufus's brakes have been totally silent to date.

Ross
  • Options
    Juice - Never thought of using a diaper. Do you use new or used ones? ;) Actually, I buy those bags of plastic gloves at home depot. Don't like getting finger prints on the engine or new oil filter! hmm,,,,,wonder if I can use those gloves with diaper changes?

Dennis - I really appreciate finding a shop or dealer that takes pride in their work. Maybe we should all open one up.

-Greg
  • Options
    Our pads have a 12/12 wear item warranty. If you family is going through that many, maybe someone should take a look at them. Are the calipers hanging up? Who's doing the work. If they are resurfacing the rotors are they using an on the car lathe?

Let me know? That is WAY to frequent for brake pads.

Thanks
  • Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Maybe they drive in heavy traffic often and brake hard... and late. ;-)

-Colin
  • Options
    It's not the cost of the pads, it's the labor to put them on.

Gloves to avoid finger prints on the engine? Bit, you've got some serious competition for OCD King!

My Forester is still on the original brake pads (36k miles). They're quiet, too. My dad's squeek a little first thing in the morning.

-juice
  • Options
    If they are resurfacing the rotors are they using an on the car lathe?

When rotors are removed from the car, what tool is used for resurfacing? Is it easier to perform a quality resurfacing off the car (i.e., not using an on the car lathe)?

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Did you ever think about auditioning as a standup comedian? on a serious note when I am going to wash the car first thing, I push It out of the garage because I don;t want to start it back it out and shut It off, I just re- read this post I think I need help. Ha!Ha!
    Cheers Pat.
    PS. I was not joking about the pushing part.
  • Options
    Pushing cars keeps you young, Pat! I don't push but I'm with you, I hate starting and stopping the engine within a minute. I can almost hear condensation munching on the exhaust as soon as the motor stops turning.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    Resurfacing is easier off the car, but better and more accurate with an on-car lathe.

Maybe Patti can elaborate. She saw a nice brake job demo recently.

-juice
  • Options
    The damage to the exhaust is the least of it, it is the damage to the motor that concerns me, it is at startup when the most wear occurs, and a lot of starts and stops like that can take literally years off the life of your motor.
    Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    I forgot about that minor detail. Thanks.

..Mike

• Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Ditto on the pads. I'm at 52K miles, original pads, no squeeks.

Ken
  • Options
    anibalbanibalb Member Posts: 193
    You guys,

You make me laugh!!! Pushing cars??? Diapers and gloves. Gees. What is next the surgical mask??? Ha ha ha. I thought I was bad. Are there any meetings with club members out in CA??? I am curious. They are having a meeting in MD today to install brakes. That is cool. Anything out West??? Just curious. Later guys.
  • Options
    We easterners tend to gather regularly. There is a brake job tonight, then a meet at Dave & Busters once again tomorrow. There are casual gatherings like that almost every week.

Then we're also close to the SCOA president Garry. He's in PA so we're close enough to attend those meets.

Throw in the track days, MASC's rally cross schedule (quarterly at least) and we're sitting pretty.

Check out i Club - I'm sure there is a local chapter, and I bet they could benefit from a little more diversity. Folks are always curious to see my Forester.

-juice
  • Options
    Yeah, I do the push thing.... even with my Stude pickup. Unfortunately the Soob has to stay on the driveway as the Stude and Datsun 1600 get the garage. But I have a cover for the Soob. So once it gets washed the cover goes on and then I be my wife to let me use her si for errands...

bit
  • Options
    Well my dad went quickly on the first set of OEMs, and then midas (which we know the owners of) for the rest are all around 10K miles. Mixed city and highway. I mostly attributed them to small brakes on the '97L. I did the last set on the front, cause I was upstate using my dad's '97L and told him "hey dad, I didn't realize you needed brakes til I was @ 110mph" to which he responded "I guess I'm lucking out and you are doing the pads in the front!" So I put on the best ones I could get @ the local pep-boys and we'll see how they last. So far so good.

-mike
  • Options
    Question: My future sub will be in a heated garage (yeah, I know - keeps the rear end warm when changing the oil, wiping the engine, using diapers and gloves.....and.....surgical mask). Anyway, is there some kind of law against this considering Subaru is known for it toughness, all weather, go anywhere rep? Just wondering :)

-Greg
  • Options
    Patti, I have just bought a 2001 GT wagon and I would like to put on aftermarket cross drilled rotors, my problem is the dearth of performance stuff for the Legacy at least here in Ottawa Canada. The performance shops here only have a listing up to 1999, the parts people at the two Subaru dealers here tell me that the brakes on the 99 GT are the same size as the 2001GT but the part #s are different but again I am told they will interchange, I have read somewhere that the2001 got bigger brakes, so I thought I would go to the source and ask for your help in getting the relevant information also is it possible there is any difference between the brakes on Canadian and US. models I can;t see it but I thought I would ask. You can either reply to me here I am sure there are others who would be interested in the reply Or feel free to e-mail at subefriek@aol.com if anyone else has pertinent information to this query please feel free to reply also.
    Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    Well guys I have to say I just love this car,surprising how quickly you get spoiled, after only three weeks I would not give up my heated seats at any price they are just awesome on my poor aching back. I am contantly amazed at how smooth and quiet this car is, I have no problem with squeaky brakes although I took pains at the beginning to properly season the pads and rotors, whether this had made a difference or not I am sure, time will tell. If I do experience squeaking I will post it. I thought it would take a long time to win my heart after my beloved Honda wagon but this has been love at first sight,(I almost feel like I am being unfaithful here)I am looking forward to many happy years with this car, incidently my long suffering wife who has almost zero interest in cars (despite living with a certifiable car nut all these years) loves this car about as much as I do.
    Cheers Pat.
  • Options
    sibbaldsibbald Member Posts: 106
    II have to share this with you. Just received a recall notice from Subaru Canada for my 1997 Outback to do with the alternator. This recall involves 1996 through 1998 Subaru Legacy vehicles and involves the loss of voltage regulation due to a broken brush wire. They want to replace the regulator which is a good thing!

Anyway, I traded in my 97 Outback for a 2000 Outback at the dealer sixteen months ago. On this form, they advise that if you have changed your home address or sold your Subaru, please complete the "change of address" postcard located in your glove box and mail to us.

1 - If I had changed my address, and not notified them, I would not have received the recall notice.
    2 - If I had sold the car, which I did, the glove box would not exist in my driveway.

O.K., have I missed something here or is this just an interesting request?

Cheers, Tom

p.s. Ross, I have always considered myself anal retentive, is that better or worse then OCD?
  • Options
    I think a heated garage is OK. The tough stuff comes when you leave the garage, not while in it.

Pat: the 2001 Legacys all got 0.7" bigger front brake discs. I doubt they are interchangeable. Since they have only been out for 6 months, there may not be aftermarket ones yet.

-juice
  • Options
    that depends upon you aspirations (ouch - unintentional pun, but I'll keep it). It's a step in the right direction if you think OCD is next to godliness. Perhaps you might want to sign up for the workshop. :-)

Ross
  • Options
    Pat, this doesn't answer your question but it's a plethora of international Subaru links. Try Mike Shield's site (SPD Technical Info), among others. Let us know which site(s) you find most helpful.

Gordon Diamant's Sube-Directory. Gordon is the man.

Hope this helps.

..Mike

..Mike

• Options
    balas3balas3 Member Posts: 1
    Do people really get that much more power with the manual? How responsive is it? How often have people had to replace it?
  • Options
    mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    This might be a pretty basic question for this group, but I am not mechanically inclined, and would like to form an opinion based on the concensus of many - not just of one. Please keep my inexperience in mind, as in the future I may ask somewhat dim-witted questions...and oh, by the way I am OCD too!

Here is my first as I just picked up my OWB this past Thursday --

When I picked up my OBW this week I told the Service Manager that I planned on using a synthetic (Mobil 1 or Havoline), beginning at my first oil change.

They recommended that I change oil at 1000, then again at approximately 5K with regular oil -- and not switch to a synthetic until roughly 8 - 10K miles, as to let the egine seals 'seat' appropriately.

Has anyone else heard this logic applied? What are the pros / cons.

My thanks as always in advance.
  • Options
    mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    I forgot,...just one more post for this weekend (I hope).

One item that I have noticed is that the Outside Temp readout located below the 'Tach' is consistently approximately 5 - 7 degrees warmer than what other temperature signs (from banks, etc.) display. It is not accurate.

Is this normal; do other OWB owners note the same? Should I have the unit replaced at one of my oil changes?

Thanks....again.
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    I'd probably agree with the oil - wait a couple of regular changes before switching to synthetic.

Temp gauge: my '00 OB doesn't have this feature. :( The temp gauges at the banks around here, even ones across the street from each other, vary a few degrees. Having said that, the temp sensor in your OB probably is getting some influence from the heat of the engine. I think it's mounted in one of the fenders, if I remember correctly.

If you're really out to prove it's accuracy, just get a regular temp gauge and place it in the same area as you OB. See if the two match. A cheap plastic outdoor one probably will do, but you may also see some variance in it too.

-Brian
  • Options
    I heard to switch at 8 or 10K miles. That is what I did with my trooper. Went over to synthetic and I think it helps.

My temp guage in my XT6 is usually dead on accurate. I have heard from owners of Trooper Limiteds that their temp sensor is located in front of the radiator, and when they are moving it works great, but in stop and go traffic it reads up to 10 degrees higher than the actual. I wouldn't be suprised if engine heat was effecting yours. You can probably re-locate the sensor to a better place for a more accurate reading.

-mike
  • Options
    hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    are chronically inaccurate... would you believe a 10 degree difference between 2 businesses across the street from each other? I think they bake inside those signs.. or in those little white "bird houses" on the roof of the building.

You could always use the infamous "weather rock" glued to the hood... if it's wet, it's raining, etc... :)

Cheers!
    Paul
  • Options
    Good Morning! I'm not sure about Canada, but in the U. S. we use mailing list we get from DMV registrations along with our own database. That way, we are pretty successful in locating owners.

Patti
  • Options
    Mike: I would give it 15k miles before going synthetic, to let the engine break in properly. I have to say, my Forester runs better now than it did when it was green (i.e. new).

I think the dealer may be able to adjust the temp guage.

Jan/Eric: my dad has a 2001 OBLtd in automatic, and he laughed when I suggested the more powerful H6. However, if you carry a heavy load or tow a lot, you may want the extra torque.

The 5 speed is a bit quicker off the line, and it has closer (and more) ratios to keep the engine in its power band. So yes, it's a bit quicker.

At least the Phase II engine is tuned for good low end torque, so it mates well with the auto.

-juice
  • Options
    hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I won't go into the problems that we have had and continue to have with our Forester but for over I year now ever since the recall on the Master Cylinder Secondary Circuit recall we have had a terrible time with our brakes including the pedal being very soft to actually going to the floor with the ABS light going on. In several occasions this has been a scary situation for my wife. Not knowing if the ABS was working or not. But when ever we took it in to to have it checked they always told us no problem found and it was normal. So now we get a recall for Master Cylinder Failure. No surprise to me I knew something was wrong, funny how customers can tell something is wrong with their cars but qualified mechanics can't. Anyway that number above is the recall notice if any body is interested.