Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    juice,

Thanks a bunch! Great photos, as always!

I'm off to Pep Boys to buy some supplies!

Ken
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    You'll need a ratchet drive like juice mentioned above. I think it's 1/2" like he said.
    You can get a special funnel from the parts store that screws onto the bottle. Then just tip the bottle up and pour it in. Some gear oils (M1 I think) come with a pointed bottle top so you might not need a funnel.
    edit: You guys are fast. You'd think this was a chat.
    Dennis
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Those are actually someone else's photos. That guy makes me look like an amateur!

I doubt a funnel along will work, because you can't get above the fill hole (it's the upper hole, pretty far up there). You'll probably need tubing or a pump.

-juice
    The funnel I'm talking about is basically a screw-on cap with a tube coming out. It also comes with a plastic extension tube. It's made especially for differentials. Actually, it's more like a spout.
    Dennis
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    I have RedLine 75-90NS for the tranny and 75-90 for the dif. I bought them just before I traded my 00 for the 01 so now I have to wait until I get to 8-10k miles before I switch. These are the products recommended by a tech at Redline. He says the 75-90NS is formulated to no be too slippery for the syncros. Yes I did read all the postings on i-club so we will see.

BTW - Juice did you see the June issue of Sport Compact Car mag? 55 new tuner parts for the Miata.

bit
    Thanks for all your responses, folks. I got the pump and some M1 75W90 from Pep Boys. I hope this does the trick in quieting down that whining noise.

I was going to install the Kartboy shifter today so now I'll have something to do while the oil drains!

The one strange thing about the noise is that it only happens at part throttle. Is that consistent with a diffy noise?

Ken
  • pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    I can't say what it is, but the info. you are getting here is good. I would still recommend you get a dealer to check it out now. Even if it is "normal" or they can't here it, it is documented that you are hearing it in warranty. If it is in warranty, you shouldn't have to pay for the check. Also, call us and let us start a case. That way, if something happens down the road we are aware of it. If you call the 800 number, tell them that I referred you. Your call will be handled well even if you don't ask them to tell me, but if they do, I can keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

Patti
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    A friend asked me about a problem with her 97 legacy. I post elsewhere so I thought this would be a good place to ask.

She says that the car lurches? I guess when accelerating it doesn't engage right away? She shifts and then gives it gas, it seems underpowered and the revs don't go up, then it all of a sudden takes off? Almost like their is an injector problem?

Any ideas?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I'm not sure how many miles are on it, but sounds like a tune up. I have a similar problem occassionally with the XT6.

-mike
    Well, I tried changing the rear diffy oil, but the plugs were waaaaay over torqued and I couldn't crack them open. Looks like I'll have to have some shop do it for me or go see a Subaru dealer.

Patti: Thanks for the input. I completely agree that your way is the right way. I just thought that a quick oil change might save me the trouble of having to go to the dealer. As you might know, the closest dealer I trust (Santa Cruz) is far away from both work and home. Given that I couldn't open the plugs, I think I just may take it to a dealer.

BTW, did you mean to say that I should start a case in conjunction with visiting a dealer?

Ken
    Yes. Seeing the dealer alone and getting a repair order is fine, but if we have a case documenting your concern, we can keep track of the situation.

Sorry for the agg of having to travel to the dealer!

Patti
  • vincer2vincer2 Member Posts: 97
    I'm entering the 2nd warm weather cycle with my 2000 OB and the engine pinging has started again. Whenever the air temperature is >70 the intermittent pinging and knocking starts. Last night the pinging was loud enough to be considered knocking. Most of the time the pinging and knocking is the loudest after driving 10 to 20 miles in warm weather, turning the engine off for a brief period and then driving it again.

Service manager says its normal and that Subaru has no official statement on engine pinging. My limited knowledge about pre-ignition pinging is that its normal during hard acceleration or going up a "steep" hill. If its supposed to ping then I'm confused why it doesn't always ping and knock. Last night the pinging was more of a knock and it was occurring while holding a steady speed of 40 mph on level ground (no acceleration or hill climbing involved), A/C off and auto trans in 4th gear.

Last summer the dealer changed the knock sensor but it didn't help. I've tried switching brands of gas and that hasn't helped either. Running high octane gas does reduce the intensity of the pinging but that's an expensive fix.

I believe excessive pinging and knocking can damage the valves and lead to carbon buildup. Should I be concerned about this?

Anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Vince
    Bit: there is an abundance of tuner parts for the Miata. Unfortunately, they are pricey and I don't have an abundance of funds!

Sean: I'd guess it's the tranny. Sounds to me like it starts in 2nd gear, kind of hesitating, and when you give it gas it shifts down to first and then surges forward.

It'll only get worse, so have it serviced ASAP, is my advice.

Patti: can we ask that dealers watch out for torque specs? It seems that every bolt I encounter is over-torqued as well. Aren't those air wrenches adjustable?

Vince: warm air is less dense, so I'm puzzled. When you compress cooler air it actually has a higher effective compression ratio.

Either way, does not sound normal to me at all.

-juice
    If it's a severe hesitation, it could be affected by this TSB: http://www.geocities.com/hobiegary/tsb.htm

This was a problem in some 5-speed '97 Subes. Mine has it and my former dealer blamed it on a loose vacuum hose. A week later, it started happening again. It always happens after every oil change so I just got used to re-setting the ECU regularly by disconnecting the battery for 30 min.
    Otherwise, it might just need a tune-up.
    Dennis

• hciaffahciaffa Member Posts: 454
    I'm very interested in your problem as my wife's 99 Forester L w/auto has been pinging and knocking since we got it and funny thing is the dealer can't duplicate it or won't try and were told its normal. I have run from 87 octane to 93 and it still does it, but your right, it is more noticable in the summer. The Forester even makes the pinging sound even when de-accellerating which is strange. Post any changes or repair if you would.
    Patti: I took your advice and called SOA to set up case#303042 with your referal. I spoke to Mike -- very friendly and courteous.

juice: I agree. I was trying everything possible to get those plugs open. I even tried gently pushing on my ratchet handle with my foot since I had little leverage under the Forester. Those things are welded shut!

Ken
    juice,
    while the warmer air is less dense it is probably also increasing the operating temperature of the engine enough to cause pre-ignition which in turn is causing the pinging and knocking.
    vince
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Vince,

I've got a similar pinging problem that gets worse as the weather warms. Super unleaded seems to help, but it's expensive. I'm taking the district service rep. out on Monday so he can hear the problem. Unless they've redesigned the knock sensor (or mine is defective), I'm guessing that won't solve the problem. I'm wondering if a new computer might fix it? Any other suggestions to look at? I'm also having a problem with the new MAF sensor creating a shaking at idle. (Idle is smooth but the engine shakes.)

Eric
  • sbcookesbcooke Member Posts: 2,297
    That was it...the dealer reset the computer and everything is fine! Though I told my friend that she should ask for more than just a resetting of the computer. I would think that if there was a problem once it might re-appear soon?
    Eric,
    I'm leaving the car with the dealer next Wed and they can have it as long as needed to troubleshoot and correct the problem. One remote possibility is they changed a defective knock sensor with a new defective knock sensor.

Service manager indicated he wants to check a few items but wasn't specific.

Please post any info you receive. I'll post a response after I pick up my car in a week or so.

Vince
    I agree. If it is the problem related to the TSB, they should replace the ECM (ECU). They're probably taking the cheapest/easiest way out to rule out for now though. Hope they didn't charge a lot for that since it's an easy DIY job. In my case, it comes back within a week of an oil change. I'm out of warranty so I got used to just re-setting it instead of paying for a new one.
    Dennis
  • miche4miche4 Member Posts: 26
    I have not checked the board in awhile but I did go back to the messages in the 1411 plus talking about parts and dealerships. I posted several messages in regards to the noise from my 2001 Sub Forester S that I bought a year ago. Shortly after buying it I got a popping noise that sounded like it was coming from the back of the Forester. Since then I have taken it in 3 times. Finally my last visit after great feedback from here I called in to make the appointment with the dealership to have this problem finally just fixed! I asked him to make sure the latch parts and pieces were in stock and if not to have them ordered. I brought my Forester in, sat 3.5 hours, missed a half plus day of work, and was told by the mechanic that he will go ahead and order the part although it was probably due to "dust" and "rough" roads.

The service manager at least made arrangements for a local repar shop near where I work to replace the latch. Two weeks later no word. I finally call and Subaru had had the part but no one called me on it. A friend who gets fridays off said he would take it in to have it fixed. However, we got hit with another snow storm and the highway was closed to due many rollovers and more! Studs came off a few days ago. Now I have to take more time off if my friend was not able to get the car in there before noon. He would have to sit there the rest of the day while the latch was being replaced.

So to add to those posts about low to no inventory of parts something needs to be done. We have one dealership for the entire South Central area of Alaska and one in Fairbanks (8 hours drive north). In addition, Subaru is closed on the weekends so people like me have to take time off from work, drive 2 hours and then sit for hours and hours. There really should be more flexibility especially when probably more than half of the Alaskan population drive subarus!

I hope SOA will help fix this problem if they can. If not then it is a major consideration in buying a vehicle. And again, like I said earlier, if the Subaru Forester can not handle a mile of non-pavement road then daily then they have a design problem. mich
  • dan2001dan2001 Member Posts: 17
    Just hit the 500 mile mark on my new LLBean H6. My first Subaru. Needed to fill up for the first time last week and noticed the premium gas' tag on the filler door. I never had a car that required premium. Will I damage the engine if I run midgrade all the time?
    Thanks, Dan
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    You might want to make time to read the owner's manual. ;-)

Will you hurt the car? Nah, not unless you hear detonation and keep on the gas. If you hear something that sounds like muffled firecrackers, get off the gas. If this happens repeatedly, your car definitely needs higher octane.

-Colin
    Dan,

The H6 was designed for premium. It will probably run on lower octane gas because of the knock sensor, but chances are it will run at lower performance.

Ken
    I'll ask our tech. group to "spread the word" on torque specs.

Thanks!

Patti
    Hi Vince and Eric -

I'm not sure about a "ping" being normal. If you need help, call us.

One thing that struck me was when you indicate it is in warm weather. Are you in an area where different fuel blends are used for summer and winter? I am aware that some summer blends can cause a ping. If your dealer is saying it's normal, can you ask if they mean normal for your area of the country?

Patti
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    The last two mornings, as well as one time when I did not drive my 2001 Outback for over 6 hours, I experienced a noticable 'surge' when in my
    automatic transmission when going from 2nd to 3rd. This only happens ONCE, and never repeats doing so (ie. after making my first 'stop' at the corner).

My Outback is only 1 month new with 2200 miles.

Questions:

1). What could be the cause(s)?
    2). What is the fix?
    3). Has anyonce else experienced this with their Outback?
    4). Should I be overly concerned?

Since my nearest Subie Dealer is over 30+ miles away, I can not drive it there (even to leave it overnight -- a LONG walk back) to reproduce the situation?

My thanks in advance for all who can supply some help.

--

Mike
    Plover, WI
    Mike: I'd have a dealer look at that tranny, maybe even flush the ATF. It could be the ECU but it would be near impossible to duplicate.

Dan: Subaru says the H6 will even run on 87 octane. Just expect a little less pep, since it'll retard the timing as needed to prevent pinging. I read you lose about 4hp running 87 octane.

-juice
    I just got my sub Forester 01 S back. The service center said there were problems with the entire rear hatch not just the latch. After 3 tries it is finally fixed!

However, I went to change my oil on Saturday and to my surprise there is a hood cover that first needs to be removed! How? There are a number of screws but then there are two strange creatures that I am not sure how you remove them. So maybe you don't? If I knew changing the oil would be so difficult I would have had Subaru do it while fixing the rear door!

I read all the comments on the crush washer but do not recall any thing about a hood cover! help. mich
    Mich,

The bottom cover is held in place by 4 screws and two plastic buttons. The 4 screws are in pairs on the front and back of the cover, as you have found out. The 2 plastic buttons can be seen inside the front wheel well, one on each side. To remove these, you simply take a standard screwdriver and gently pry up the center piece. When that pops up, the button should come off fairly easily.

I think someone might have some pictures -- juice?

Ken
  • evilizardevilizard Member Posts: 195
    I've got the same bottom covers on my 01 Outback. If you check the owners manual under the maintence section it gives a simplistic drawing of how to deal with those screws. Bascially you take the big plastic ones, rotate them a little bit, pull them out then grab the cover by the provided handle and pull it out. This should give you access to the filter. Looks simple enough (famous last words I know).

Don't forget your crush ring!

BTW your first oil change is free at the dealership.
  • hutch7hutch7 Member Posts: 88
    After 48k I'm thinking it may be time to change the ATF on my '97 OB even though the manual says
    only to inspect it. Anyone done this? Dealer wants $150.00 to drain and flush it, and says to wait until 80K to do the F/R diff fluids. Any thoughts?
    I've changed the gear oil in the tranny and rear diffy of my Miata, but I'd love to hear about someone that did their Subie.

-juice
    Patti,
    I'm 50 miles north of Philly. Not sure if the gas in our area is changed for the summer. Also, "atmospherically" we're pretty close to sea level.

When the shop foreman indicated its fairly normal for the engine to ping I believe he was referring more to the car and not to the area of the country. He also said Subaru has not published any info specific to pinging if its normal or not.

Last summer the knock sensor was replaced. It could be possible, but highly unlikely, that the new one was also defective.

The pattern is fairly repeatable: drive for 10 to 15 minutes and turn the car off for a brief period. When its restarted it will usually ping. On occasion it will actually knock. It has also pinged and knocked when holding a steady speed on level ground. None of this happens when the air temperature is below approx 65-70 degrees.

If pinging (and occasionally knocking) is normal then it should do it all of the time but even if it did I would still be concerned.

On May 9 I'll be leaving the car with the Dealer (Becker Subaru in Wescosville, PA) for as long as they need it to diagnose the problem. I've asked the shop foreman to drive the car over several days so he can hear the engine under different circumstances.

Shop foreman indicated since they are pretty close to SOA hdqtrs and because they sell so many cars that they get real quick responses when calling in for tech help and they also receive frequent visits from area factory reps. I'll let you know what kind of progress they make.

Your offer for assistance is greatly appreciated.
    Vince
  • royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    juice: I changed the transmission fluid in my '95 Legacy Outback. The Haynes manual lists the system capacity at 8 quarts, with 4 quarts in the pan(which has a drain plug). So I drained the 4 quarts and refilled it, drove it for a day and drained the 50:50 (old:new) 4 quarts from the pan again and refilled. This replaces 6 of 8 quarts. A third cycle could be done to get a 7th quart replaced. Cost about $5.00 per 4 quart drain and fill. All the old fluid is recycled at the local Auto Zone store.
    If you are not happy with what the dealer finds, please call us before you pick up your car. We can dig a little to see if we can help them. Sorry for the problem.

Patti
  • stevekstevek Member Posts: 362
    I just did a tune up on my 01 Legacy GT and to my surprise found factory installed Champion plugs (I thought they are only good for lawnmowers and Dodges). Anyway it runs a LOT better with Boch platinum. Whatsup with those wires? the boots look like a feminine hygene product, no wonder the delaer want $20+ a piece. Now I have to find a nice feminine name for my ride.
    Patti,
    If I would call in to Subaru's 800 number how will I get past the Customer Service Rep with this issue?
    Vince

ps You either have insomnia or must really enjoy working with customers to be responding at 2:18 AM.
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Do you guys use synthetic?? I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I plan to go to synthetic oil but not sure about it for the diffy and transmission. Thanks,

greg
    Thanks for the info, Roy. I figured someone had done it.

Greg - I put synthetic Mobil 1 Gear oil (75w90) in the Miata's rear diffy and tranny. You can't feel a difference in the rear diffy, but the tranny is slightly easier to shift in the cold. Though that may have been the turret oil (which is unique to the Miata), which was previously empty.

-juice
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Nah - while I don't sleep much, it's the time difference causing my post to appear so early. I'm usually on between 4:30 and 5:30 in the morning.

When you call, let the C. S. Rep. start the case file. (I can be hard to track down). Let them know that I want to keep an eye on the case and ask them to let me know when you call.

I look forward to helping you get this resolved.

Thanks!

Patti
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    Someone posted long ago that Foresters S actually have a feature that locks the doors when car's in motion. My S+ does not have this feature. I was told it's a matter of reprogramming the remote. But when I asked about this in Santa Cruz Subaru dealership they said they don't know about such a thing, unless it's an aftermarket upgrade.

My question is to all Forester S owners: are your doors locked automatically when you start driving (assuming you left them unlocked)?
    Thanks so much! You guys are great. After paying $32 at the local express lube place last night it is good to hear it really isn't that big of a deal to take the skid plate/hood cover plastic thing off. I do need to get a manual. Still have not bought one. I do know the Subaru Service center did not use synthetic oil so I followed suit. I did not think you could mix the two; you need to start and stay with the same type (synthetic or regular). Any insight on this?
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Mix and Match is fine from what I've heard and read. I switched in my Trooper to Mobil 1, and shortly will do the same in the subaru XT6.

-mike
  • mtsnowmtsnow Member Posts: 2
    I remember reading posts of a year ago or so about wind noise around the drivers side mirror on a 2000 Outback wagon. I noticed a significant about of "howling" in this area while driving at highway speeds this weekend when there was a cross wind. I have had mild occurances of this in the past year, but none as frequent as this time. I even tried folding the mirror in and still had the noise occur. I do not think it is the mirror itself. Has anyone determined the cause and if there is a fix. Thanks.
    Alarm:

Haven't heard of that feature on the Forester alarm. If your 2001 has the same alarm system (which I think it does) I don't think that feature exists. The alarm is from Alpine and it's a pretty basic one.

Wind noise: You might want to check your window seals or even see if your roof rack cross bars are mounted in the right direction.

Ken
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    vince, has the car ever overheated? does the temperature gauge climb above normal (about 2/3 of the way) at any time?

quite possibly not related, but I'm curious.

-Colin
    Are you thinking about a coolant leak?

Ken