Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Crew Problems & Solutions

Comments

• jim235jim235 Member Posts: 47
    I think you must have an unusally service oriented dealer if he gave you the first oil change free. I just had my first oil change at my local Subaru dealership and it wasn't free.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Ken-- looking for any reason why the engine might heat soak after being shut off... first thing to check is if it's running hot before being shut down.

btw, what became of the shifter?

-Colin
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    and I believe in the US, the first oil change is supposed to be free. Patti, can you confirm this for the US?

Ross
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Colin,

Kartboy is making a longer one for me. What's unclear is if they want the old one back. I e-mailed them a couple times specifically asking if it was okay to sell you the shorter one, but they never gave me a straight answer. Personally, I don't think they really care what happens to it so I'm thinking I'll just send it to you once the longer one comes in.

Ken
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    oil change at 3500 miles is what I was told. My dealer led me to believe it was a dealer perk. They also have loaner cars which is more important.

-greg
  • vincer2vincer2 Member Posts: 97
    Colin,

No, its never overheated. Always stays under the 1/2 way level. Shop foreman says its in the normal range.

Vince
  • evilizardevilizard Member Posts: 195
    Hmmn, when I bought my car I was told that the first oil change was free, the way he said it seemed to imply that it was a national policy. Also a friend of mine had an Outback Sport purchased in Austin and serviced in Dallas for the 1st oil change. It was free. You just need to tell them that its the 1st oil change.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Ken: schweet - two for the price of one! Too bad you don't have a 2nd Scooby.

I hadn't heard of the free oil change, you sure it's not just certain dealers that do it to gain loyal service customers?

-juice
  • pat88pat88 Member Posts: 40
    When we bought our 2001 Forester S+, we were told that the first oil change would be free if we filled out the customer survey form with all excellents. Since we didn't do that, no free oil change for us.

~~~Pat
    I'm pretty sure that free oil changes are dealer specific, not nation wide.

Ken
  • dangerdean1dangerdean1 Member Posts: 1
    My check engine light keeps coming on. It started at about 17000 miles. I called to dealer and they told me to check the gas cap to make sure it was tight. They stated that if that was the problem the light would go off in a day or two. It finally turned off, but it keeps coming back on. I do not think that it is the gas cap.

Has anyone else had this problem? What caused it?

It is also starting to feel like the car is not firing on all 4 cylinders. It is a little sugglish and it idles a little rough.

Any input would be great.

By the way it is a '00 Outback limited.
  • pattim3pattim3 Member Posts: 533
    Hi! I'm not familiar with any OEM system that locks the doors once the Forester is moving. Neat idea though.

Sorry.

Patti
    No, we do not have a national program for a free 1st oil change. Some dealers may do it (do not let it sway your survey...please) as a way to build loyalty to their service facility.

Personally, I'd recommend a dealer for the 1st change at least. That way, they can look and make sure everything is humming along okay.

Patti
    I'd set up a dealer appointment. Since you are noticing a performance concern, it is probably something else than the gas cap. Even if the light goes out, the codes are stored in the computer so they should be able to let you know what the problem is. Since you are still in warranty, it shouldn't cost you to get it checked out.

Patti
  • p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    Kate- I do vaguely remember a post on the subject. I think someone may have included the auto-locking door feature on a wish list in the future models topic. (wouldn't it be nice to have the old search function back).

-Frank P.
    Does Subaru use a break in oil? I would like to change my oil around 1200 miles and then again at 3500 miles (this one is free from the dealer) but, don't want to take the oil out too soon if it is a break in oil. Have 900 miles on the car so far.....and love it! :)

-greg
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    GM cars do it.

Also my cousin has that feature built into her alarm system on her outback (aftermarket alarm/remote starter)

-mike
    I don't care for the auto locking feature. I'd rather have the choice of whether to lock the doors or not. However, I can see the desire given certain circumstances.

-Greg
    Most aftermarket alarms can do it, and the Subaru factory systems are either Code-Alarm or Alpine. If someone is really hot-to-trot about this and has the factory security system, go to a reputable car audio/security shop and have them take a look. If it's a standard system then they can probably lock & unlock the doors with the ignition.

If you have a square remote, it's Code-Alarm. If it's oval, that's Alpine. YMMV on really new cars, haven't seen the latest remotes! ;-)

If you don't have an alarm, they don't have to be expensive to offer this functionality. My Viper 500+ was $279 installed and does it. Never start up the car and quickly get out, closing the door behind you BTW.

-Colin
    Pat: good for you for standing your ground and not caving in to that dealer's bribe for a good review. That is absolutely unethical on their part.

If they were smart, they would offer a free oil change regardless, which would make you more likely to give them that review that they wanted.

I don't like the auto locking doors idea. When other passengers lock my door and I try to get out, it's just a nuisance. There are child safety locks on the rear doors, and this is more than adequate.

-juice
    I don't like DRLs and Auto-locking doors. When I feel I need more light or need to be seen, I put the lights on, and if I need to lock the doors, I do it!

-mike
  • soon2bsubeesoon2bsubee Member Posts: 137
    Does anyone know if the Subaru factory security system has a engine-start disabling feature?
  • armac13armac13 Member Posts: 1,129
    I agree with you about the door locks - if I want them locked, I'll do it myself. As to DRLs, I have to disagree. You may be intelligent enough to put on your lights when you feel the need to be seen, but not everyone on the road has good judgment. Often it is the most dangerous drivers who lack such judgment. I want a fighting chance to see the idiots so I can avoid them.

Ross
    I agree paisan. I don't want the car to do the thinking for me. Seems like the designers can get it wrong as often as they get it right.

A couple of examples illustrate my point.

Greyhound used some radar technology on some of their buses, but it ended up setting off everyone's radar detector. So the speed demons would pull into that lane and stab the brakes. The bus can't stop as quickly and BANG. They discontinued the technology (it's amazing they didn't see that coming).

Mercedes has the seemingly clever auto cruise control, but testers say it made them feel car sick. Plus, it encourages tail-gating so you don't get cut off.

I can see in an urban area where car-jacking is common that auto locked doors could be useful, but I don't often go to such locations - maybe once a year. The other 364 days I'm locked in my own car and frustrated.

One feature from my old Mustang that I liked was that the doors unlocked when you pulled the door handle. I'd be willing to accept the auto locking doors if the handle had that feature.

-juice
    Ross & Mike: what I was discussing is a programmable *option*. If you want to lock the doors yourself, fine. More appropriately, if you don't want the doors to UNLOCK when the ignition is turned off, you might want to disable this option.

The doors should be locked while the vehicle is in motion-- it helps ensure it will stay shut if you should happen to be in a serious accident. I don't think I need to explain this to DRL Ross?

-Colin
    OK, but by that same argument we should all be wearing helmets all the time, too. Can you imagine all the soccer moms wearing Arais? ;-)

My point is safety is fine, just don't inconvenience the driver to obtain it.

-juice
    Nice slippery slope... There are many differences between wearing a helmet and locking a door. Isn't this obvious?

-Colin
    Like I said, it's fine as long as it unlocks with the door handle (or with the key being removed, as you suggested).

Not to mention, I would hope that Subaru would design a door that would stay shut in a collision even if it were not locked.

There you go - fix that, instead of auto-locking the doors.

-juice
    I always lock my doors manually. "You may be intelligent enough to put on your lights when you feel the need to be seen, but not everyone on the road has good judgment. " Well then we should eliminate all cars with manual transmissions since, the computer controlled transmission can shift at the best spot for fuel economy and safety? We could make cars so auto-matic that nothing needs to be thought about. One reason I hate DRLS is because those dumb people who don't know to turn on their lights, wind up driving around with only their DRLs on after dark. I've had more than 1 occassion where I nearly rear-ended someone because they were driving with no tail lights on. If they are gonna do the DRL thing, it should be DR Parking Lights (so that the rears come on as well) that way they can be seen, but when it gets dark, they can't see so they turn on their actual headlights! :)

I also agree with colin that locked doors are safer in crashes.

-mike
    They have! But the point is that a lock is a simple, easy to use and convienent method to INCREASE the probability of it staying shut. If you don't have the door locked, it flies open in a rollover and you're tossed partially out--even while wearing your seatbelt-- that seems a bit stupid not to have locked the door.

If it was locked and flew open anyway, at least you don't have to wonder if a stupid thing like a door lock might have made the difference.

-Colin
    Somehow I knew you'd bring auto trannies into this discussion! ;-)

The newer DRLs are fine - it's the first generation ones that run at 90% that peeve me. Lots of trucks pull behind me in the Miata and that puts their brights right at eye level. Particularly with the top down, it's completely blinding.

The new ones run at much lower power levels, I believe.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I remember last year, seeing a woman who was scraping ice off her Honda's windshield, with the engine running and the doors closed, only to find herself locked out of the car after a few minutes, when the timer on the door locks activated. She had to call home for her husband to come (in the snow) with another set of keys, so she could get in the vehicle.

No thanks. That's one feature we don't need.

Bob
    the only ones i've seen lock the doors when you put the car into drive.

-mike
    We had a Cavalier (rental car, no choice there) and it had this feature. For long trips it was no big deal, but for quick errands it became a pain. It did not unlock automatically, though.

-juice
    DRLs, however. Ah oh... incoming...

Bob
    Newer ones are better. I just hate to see all those Saturns driving around with their brights on.

;-)

-juice
  • kate5000kate5000 Member Posts: 1,271
    The self-locking doors on VW Passat that I test-drove at EdmundsLive, locked only when car was in motion. I thought it was not such a bad idea.
    Can anyone who is a DRL lover comment on the fact that people don't put on their headlights/tail lights after dark due to the fact that "I can see where I'm going" mentality. Or the fact that in low light situations tail-lights are also beneficial and should come on with the DRLs. Or the increased wear and tear on the bulbs (especially performance bulbs) from running @ less than optimal voltage?

-mike
    If they're designed to operate only when the vehicle is in motion, then it's not such a bad idea.

After what my friend went through (locking while her Honda was parked), I didn't want to have anything to do with them.

Bob
    incoming... ;)

Mike- I can only comment that DRLs don't bother me. I have yet to encounter a situation where I've been put off by someone operating a vehicle with DRLs.

Bob
    Mike- I think you're doing a fine job arguing the benefits of DRLs. Your statement

"Can anyone who is a DRL lover comment on the fact that people don't put on their headlights/tail lights after dark due to the fact that "I can see where I'm going" mentality."

is one of the main reasons I'm in favor of DRLs. Because, that type of self-centered driver is the same one who currently drives around with NO lights long after it's safe to do so. The same driver will also drive with no lights on in the middle of a downpour (regardless of state laws to the contrary).

-Frank P.
    I drive ALOT close to 40K a year for the past year and 50K for 4 years before that. I've encountered more people with DRLs on long after they should than I have of people with no lights on at all.

Maybe it's my driving style (usually I'm the one coming up on people with no tail lights on) so I notice that more than people w/o their headlights on coming up behind me.

-mike
    Auto-locking doors:

My wife has this feature on her VW Jetta. The doors lock only after you've driven at speeds over 5 mph or so. Also, it's programmable so that they all unlock when you remove the key from the ignition -- pretty convenient.

I've read somewhere that it may be safer to have your doors unlocked when driving on the highway. There have been incidents where people get into accidents and the locked doors hinder the rescue teams efforts to get them out of the vehicle.

DRLs:

The way DRLs work varies from vehicle to vehicle. Some use the high beams at 80% strength while others just run the low beams at 100% all the time.

Again, my wife's Jetta comes with DRLs. Overall, I think they're a good idea. I think people who are used to turning on their headlights before it's pitch black outside would be less prone to forgetting with DRLs. Also, if you're starting at night, you're also reminded by the lack of headlights by a dark instrument cluster.

Ken
    Mike- I don't worry about someone behind me without lights on, it's the on-coming cars that I can't see that I worry about. Also, coming up behind somone with no lights isn't nearly as dangerous since you're both headed in the same direction and the rate of approach is much slower. Well maybe not in your case :-)

-Frank P.
    Ken, I'd be interested in reading that article. I can't see how a locked door is going to make any difference at all... if the body is mangled, the door isn't going to open whether it's locked or not. You either go in through a window or you wait for the jaws of life.

-Colin
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I have to say that I like DRLs. I know when I am driving in NYC,and I'm at a stop sign trying to cross an intersection, I find it to be beneficial for the other car to have DRLs. On the other hand, I also have to admit to twice being one of those drivers who started driving at night without the headlights on. It was only when I looked down at the instrument cluster that I noticed I had not turned the lights on. It is just something I have to get used to, as this is the first car I have ever owned that had the DRL. It also doesn't hurt that the insurance companies give a discount for DRLs :)

Mark
    (I promise to make sure the lights are all the way on Mike!)
  • pat88pat88 Member Posts: 40
    According to the EMT's where my mother used to work (in the Emergency Room), they would prefer that you drive with your doors locked. They said that you are safer with the doors locked. They carry a lock-punch with them in the rescue vehicles.

~~~Pat
    Colin,

I read that article I was refering to many years back. I don't even remember the newspaper/magazine it was in, but I vaguely recall it featured a particular car manufacturer. The concept of driving w/doors unlock being safer was controversial enough that it stayed in my memory all these years.

Ken
    Bob: I can see why - you own tall vehicles. I doubt anyone behind you with DRLs is going to annoy you in your Explorer (or your wife's Forester for that matter).

Maybe I'll let you drive my Miata for a week, and then we'll ask you again! ;-)

With a Scooby - just leave your lights on all the time! They turn off automatically, and no high beams to annoy anyone. If you think it's overkill or will burn your expensive bulbs out early, just use the running lights.

Oh well, Subaru now has DRLs on all its vehicles, so too late to debate it I guess. I believe they use separate bulbs, at least on the Impreza, is that right?

-juice
    I'll take your Miata for a week! You can have the Explorer. Hehehe :)

Not all our cars are tall. Remember, my daughter drives a very low '92 Prelude. Sometimes she even let's me drive it.

Bob