Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dealership trouble!

pocobpocob Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
I am from a long line of GM employees (combined history well over 70 years of service) and I have FINALLY gotten a lemon and the story is really sour! http://www.palominostallion.com -- We had our brakes go out at 16,000 miles .. the truck is routine alright! We have electrical problems and now we hit the 100,000 mile mark and the diesel engine is attempting suicide. This is a 1999 that I could have PAID CASH for a NEW truck with all of the repair costs. Day by day updates on the website. I look forward to your thoughts and comments.

Comments

• obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    At $70 and hour thats 28.50 hours of labor. Quite a bit of time for doing exactly what? Other than that tho it pretty much looks like routine maintenance. Except maybe for the front brakes.
  • rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    Sorry to hear about your Chevy Dealer problems, their trained to be that way by corporate. Your letter to Mr Wagoneer will get you know where he already has your money!

Try this website to bring you up to speed on other issues with the Silverado's http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/index.html

Good Luck and keep us informed.

Ray T.

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Just a reminder that the Town Hall chat is on tonight (5-7pm Pacific/8-10 pm Eastern) Stop on by and bring a friend! The more the merrier.
    Hope you can join in and share your stories about: Inconsiderate Salespeople/Inconsiderate Buyers

PF Flyer
    Host
    Pickups & News & Views Message Boards
  • pocobpocob Member Posts: 3
    As the "routine maintenance" thing goes -- this truck has been in (counting TODAY 6/20/02) 4 times for the head lamp switch AND we have the "low coolant" light on again. I would not have a problem with them ducking and diving behind WARRANTY issues IF we had not starting having LOW COOLANT problems AFTER the dealership worked on the truck. Note: Truck in on Aug 21, 2001 for head lamp switch repairs . .in 10 days later for low coolant problems. Turns out it was a CUT radiator hose that the repair guys caused! This is an insult to my intelligence that the current problems are NOT related and since these problems have been on going since Aug, 2001, after they worked on it.

Currently, we have not had the truck back one full week and we are having the same problems. I understand that General Motors will only support the WARRANTY thing (which brakes are covered for 12k miles and they bit the dust the first time at 16k miles), BUT do not continue to support the dealership's bad behavior when it is obvious that they started the problems, and I have the paper trail which shows when (and where) the problems originated and the engine was under warranty.

OH. .then they inform me that "you have too many miles on that vehicle for it being that new". . well, I am a poster child of advertising for a good product. I am not into some fad where a crew cab, heavy duty truck is for play -- I actually USE the thing. I feel so let down by family, General Motors, and the dealership. They have an excuse for everything or they justify everything.

Continuing the battle. I will also continue to update the website. I have NO problems trying the Duramax and putting it to the test, but they were blowing head gaskets during GM's tests too, mind you they had more miles than my puny engine, but still -- I am a good source of input on what the truck can hold up to.

Thoughts, comments. I look forward to hearing them! http://www.palominostallion.com for updates.

• ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    "brakes are covered for 12k miles "

I had my truck in last summer cause the rear drivers side brake was squeaking. Had like 17K miles on my truck. They replaced both rear pads and turned the rotors all under warranty. They kept squeaking. I narrowed it down to some surface rust on the rotor i sanded it off and all has been well since.

Sounds like you need to find a new dealership and fast
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    I can't really see where your problem is.

I see no evidence to tie a 'cut radiator hose' to service work on a headlight switch. The switch is under the dash, nowhere near the rad hose. Now, the work on the air conditioner 'door' might have been done under the hood, but you seem to be tieing it to the switch repair. Or did I read it wrong?

Yes, you bought a heavy duty truck, although you do not say what model or motor you bought.
    But, you have over 100,000 miles on it and the things that I see failed are the 'usual' things that happen to vehicles across this amount of milage. A 'heavy duty' doesn't mean things will last longer, it means the truck should be able to handle heavier loads.

And, it looks like you have loaded this truck. If you carry 3 horses, this means you have at least a 4 horse trailer (or is it a 6 horse). With a crew-cab you could be hauling up to 6 people.

This is a lot of weight. It's gotten you through 100,000 miles, give it some credit for this.

And the largest item, $2,363.86, you give almost no detail, only a 'gasket kit' and misc supplies. What's going on here? Is the motor needing a rebuild? Is this a head gasket job? Did you drive it any distance at all with low coolant and/or overheated?

I see a lot of questions here, and not much detail to support your claim of a truck failing prematurely.

And, I'm not a GM employee or associated with any auto business.
  • midnight_stangmidnight_stang Member Posts: 862
  • pocobpocob Member Posts: 3
    I see no evidence to tie a 'cut radiator hose' to service work on a headlight switch.

RESPONSE: They also replaced a wire from the battery to the alternator which was directly under the hose.

Yes, you bought a heavy duty truck, although you do not say what model or motor you bought.

RESPONSE: This is a Chevy CK3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SWB (single wheel base) with a 6.5L Turbo diesel. My understanding is that with kept up routine maintenance and care 100,000 miles is just getting a diesel broke in.

If you carry 3 horses, this means you have at least a 4 horse trailer (or is it a 6 horse). With a crew-cab you could be hauling up to 6 people.

RESPONSE: We pull a 2000 Sundowner 3H trailer will full living quarters. I believe this is about a 24ft trailer from GN to tail. We also carry two adults (average size) and a dog. I think the truck can handle this as I see smaller trucks handle the same load.

This is a lot of weight. It's gotten you through 100,000 miles, give it some credit for this.

RESPONSE: If I did not have a record of problems with this truck that began at 16k miles I probably would not complain. But, when a dealership service department is taking every advantage to claim "out of warranty" and you cannot get anything fixed without a fight. In addition, they admitted to cutting the radiator horse and I still had to pay for those repairs.

And the largest item, $2,363.86, you give almost no detail, only a 'gasket kit' and misc supplies. What's going on here?

RESPONSE: My question exactly!!! I took the information directly from the service ticket/invoice. There is $363.86 in parts and $2,000 in labor. What you read on my spreadsheet (http://www.palominostallion.com) is exactly what the ticket reads. They replaced a head gasket (which we have had coolant trouble since their repair work in August, 2001).

This dealership I have discovered is infamous for keeping vehicles too long, over charging for repairs (even based on what their books tell them to charge). I have filed a complaint with the attorney general and there were 21 complaints filed against them last year. I have a LONG LIST of people which have the same trouble with this dealership. They perform repairs (rip you off) and still have NOT FIXED the vehicle.

WHAT TO DO??? You complain to General Motors about needing some type of "complaint" system to protect the consumer, but it is obvious that they are backing the dealership and service departments. Then you have the dealership/service department who simply do not care as another customer will come down the road and pay for work unsatisfactory also.

TO TOP IT ALL OFF -- their own sales people state that their service deparmtent is LESS THAN desireable.

WHAT IS THE NEXT STEP?
  • mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    find a new dealership, but find a new Ford dealership.
  • bsmoodhabsmoodha Member Posts: 17
    I ran across a guy here in Wi. that went from Ford to Chevy. He had MANY problems but the biggest one was a BAD Dealerships Service Dept. and a BAD Pickup. He is going back to a Ford.
  • cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    we went to 3 GM/Chevy dealers with our lemon...no one did any good. The last one did some of the repairs, but (before it went back under lemon law) when they needed to take the transfer case apart because the 4wd lever didn't pull, Chevy said no to the repair authorization. According to them, the dealer's hands are tied; Chevy's not authorizing service on their vehicles.
  • gmengineman1gmengineman1 Member Posts: 32
    I think the troubles you are experiencing are in cponflict with what the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards set. The FMVSS is located in East LIberty, Ohio and I suggest you contact them. The problem with front brake rotor wear is industry wide. There is a "Quality" issue with the offshore manufactured products used in most US built motor vehicles that use off shore manufactured brake rotors. Ask your dealer Service Manager if it would be possible to share the repair records his shop has with the FMVSS inspectors. If not, call your state Bureau of Automotive Repair Board and file a formal complaint.
This discussion has been closed.