Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Accord Coupe

1293031323335»

Comments

• Options
    ginskeeginskee Member Posts: 12
    I had the V6 1998, bought it in March of the year it first came out (new body style). I loved that car but just traded it in this past March for the new V6 exl with navi. I had to decide between replacing the tranni on the 1998 with a rebuilt from Honda or buy the new car. I opted for trading it in because I've been hearing tons of problems with that tranni and figured if I bought the rebuilt, I'd still have problems down the road. My 1998 did the same exact thing you're talking about. I even had it towed 2 times and by the time they got it to the repair shop, it was working fine. The problem would come & go. It was weird! But being stuck on the side of the road 2 times was enough for me. It was hard to part with that car, but I'm falling in love with the new 2008.
  • Options
    highlander01highlander01 Member Posts: 3
    LOL!! So true!! :D

My Accord Coupe is the 1st Non Mopar vehicle I have ever owned. There are a few things I would change if I were Honda, navi should be standard in all vehicles!
    Seats could really use a little upgrade they are a nice leather but on long trips. :sick: The standard radio w/XM needs a little help also.

The car seems to have pep for a V6. I like the roomy feel of the inside. The style of the car is best in class. Like I said I am a Loooong time Mopar owner but the Accord Coupe beat the Sebring.

The mileage is a little vexing at an avg speed of 65 in my Dodge Magnum I can get 24 mi hwy.(5.7 l.) I don't like the fact that other Accord owners by reading some of their posts are only getting an avg of 29. :surprise:

I know apples to oranges but "Maggie" out weighs "Ally" :surprise:
  • Options
    smok10smok10 Member Posts: 2
    I picked up my new EX-L Coupe 3 weeks ago and it rides like a Mack Truck, you feel every crack in the road, every pot hole patch etc. I went over a railroad crossing and my teeth rattled. This is the worse riding Honda I've owned or ridden in. Anyone experiencing this problem??? I'm happy with everything else (so far). If this is normal I will be getting rid of it reguardless of what it will cost me. Thanks for all responses.
    PS when I test drove the car with the salesman he directed the route, I didn't think anything about it then, maybe I should have been suspicious then.......
  • Options
    oldmansioldmansi Member Posts: 40
    Can't speak for the 08 coupe, as I have a 06 V6 coupe and the ride is about the same as you described. Very firm, almost harsh ride. I too did not notice this when on a test drive as I was on mostly smooth pavement. Did not notice til a couple of days after driving it. You didnt state whether you have the 4 or 6 cylinder as I have heard that the 4 cylinder provides a somewhat smoother ride as my V6 sits on 17 inch rims with 50 series tires which contributes some what to the ride quality. Its the only think I dislike about the car as everything else is fine. Was going to drop the car on Eibach Pro-kits to get rid of the excessive wheel well gap but that would only worsen the ride quality so it is not worth the trade off. So yes, it seems this is a characteristic of 7th and 8th generation Accords. Kind of a shame as this is a quality vehicle ruined by ride quality.
  • Options
    north52north52 Member Posts: 11
    I have just recently bought a 2006 EX-L Coupe (2.4liter w/5sp standard); with just under 16,000 miles on the odo and in excellent condition - this was a private sale and a rare find. It is my new daily commuter for a 40 mile round trip.
    Ride? I would classify this car's ride as 'firm'. I find it fully acceptable. There's great feedback of the road surface conditions through the steering wheel and excellent control and response from the suspension. True, the ride is firm and you feel most of the imperfections on the road through the steering wheel, but that is exactly what most Honda customers want. The driver is more 'connected' to the road.
    So far, I've only driven the car for a few days, but it's definitely a keeper.
    I'm 6'-2" and I've been able to adjust the seat and steering wheel to a near-perfect driving position. (There's even some decent clearance remaining above my head to the sunroof). If this was a 1980's or 1990's Honda I would not be able to fit comfortably in the driver's seat.
    My only (near) future purchase for this car will be a set of four winter tires. This is an absolute necessity at our northern latitude.
  • Options
    tanyasuetanyasue Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2007 Accord that started shaking when I drive over 55-60MPH. I just moved and don't have a new mechanic (and I hate the dealer!). I also hit a curb quite hard because I am an idiot-I can own that. Is it possible that my car got out of allignment and the shaking didn't start until I got some wear on the tires? I only have 12,000 miles on my car and probably hit the curb 4-5k miles ago.

Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • Options
    north52north52 Member Posts: 11
    Yes, a brute force caused by an immovable object (like a moving curb!) will undoubtedly put your wheel alignment out of whack. If this is what has happened, you probably would notice that your steering wheel is no longer perfectly centred when you are driving in a straight line. (This may require a test drive down the center of a quiet road or open parking lot, as the 'crown' of most roads can cause you to slightly counter-steer; meaning your steering wheel may not rest perfectly centred on most roads that appear to be straight.)

Tire wear would probably not be the issue, although you could also have damaged your wheel rim during your encounter with the curb - look for a dent or significant mark (more than just a scratch!) on the suspect wheel.

Another possibility is that you could have knocked off a balance weight on the suspect wheel. This would explain shaking at the speed you've indicated. Are you experiencing vibration or shaking only in the steering wheel, or does it seem that the whole front end of the car is shaking? If your shaking symptoms are only transmitted through the steering wheel, I would suspect an unbalanced (or damaged) wheel to be the most likely cause. But if your curb incident has in fact only put the alignment out of whack, you would probably not experience a vibration or shaking - only the crooked-steering-wheel symptom.

Some further road testing and visual inspection is required!
  • Options
    tanyasuetanyasue Member Posts: 5
    To say that it was a hard hit was an understatement. However, until recently I rarely did highway driving so I may not have noticed it before. I will pay closer attention, but I think it is just the steering wheel, not the front end. There is no significant mark on the rim-I looked at my tires/wheels first thing to make sure I didn't do tire damage that would cause a flat, etc.

Um, I actually hit the curb so hard it knocked my car out of gear (automatic transmission). I am so humiliated to even mention that. That is why I wonder how much of this is alignment, but I didn't even think of the balance piece of things. I will look at that too-it is time to get my tires rotated anyway.
  • Options
    twilli1987twilli1987 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2008 accord coupe EX but put in a Metra 99-7874 dash kit so I could have a satellite radio. This dash kit replaces part of the dash where the factory-installed radio and some controls were in the originial dash. Everything goes well until I am driving the car for about an hour. Then there is a vibration from the road that worsens when I go over rough pavement. Tweeter had installed the Metra dash kit and now Tweeter is out of business so I cannot bring it back to them. I don't know if it is the radio heating up or the kit expanding somehow leading to the noise. Any ideas out there?
  • Options
    twilli1987twilli1987 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2008 accord coupe EX but put in a Metra 99-7874 dash kit so I could have a satellite radio. This dash kit replaces part of the dash where the factory-installed radio and some controls were in the originial dash. Everything goes well until I am driving the car for about an hour. Then there is a vibration from the road that worsens when I go over rough pavement. Tweeter had installed the Metra dash kit and now Tweeter is out of business so I cannot bring it back to them. I don't know if it is the radio heating up or the kit expanding somehow leading to the noise. Any ideas out there?
  • Options
    bajajoesbajajoes Member Posts: 48
    2001 Accord Coupe has annoying dash reflection onto the windshield.
    I consider it to be a safety issue as visiblity is reduced.
    What I would like, if available, is a coating to apply to interior of windshield to eliminate the reflection.
    It is used on higher grade sunglasses but I don't know what it is.
    If any Forum readers have sugggestions I will be watching.
    Baja Joes :confuse:
  • Options
    tbird10tbird10 Member Posts: 2
    Help! I have to replace my radiator and see there is a 1 row radiator and a 2 row radiator that are the same size measured as what I need. Does it matter which one I get and what would be the difference?
  • Options
    tbird10tbird10 Member Posts: 2
    I had the same issue. You can go to any auto parts store or discount store and they have anti-reflective wipes, it helps a bunch. You could also get a cloth dash cover.
  • Options
    mitchfloridamitchflorida Member Posts: 420
    The first thing I noticed while test driving the new V6 Accord Coupe with 18 inch wheels was how harsh the ride was. You really can't miss it. I think you could change the tire size and get a softer ride with wider profile tires.

I may get the 2007 version of the V6 Accord Coupe with 17 inch wheels. Does that have a less harsh ride than the current version?
  • Options
    I have an 06 V6 coupe (same as 07) and I can tell you that the ride quality with the 17 inch wheels and 50 series tires is VERY firm, almost harsh. These late generation Accords are not smooth riding cars (at least the V6 models) . Mostly due to the spring/shock combo . If you are looking for a smoother ride, I would not consider the 07 model as most likely it will be much like the late model one you test drove. I dont know if there is any fix for this other than maybe a softer compound tire, but not even sure that will help. :confuse:
  • Options
    It doesn't sound like you are all that happy with your Accord Coupe . . or am I wrong?
  • Options
    Well, overall, I like the car. Strong engine with plenty of power. Transmission shifts smoothy. comfy leather seats with nice interior. Aside from the very firm ride and those annoying glove box rattles, Its a pretty good car. On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the best, I would give this car a 7.5. If Honda can ever get a good comprimise of good handling with a softer suspension, this car would be a solid 9. Oh yeah, no problems with car with 30K miles, so reliablity is top notch which typical Honda. So, if the frim suspension is ok with you, then you have a solid performer. If its not to your liking, I would look at some of the competition. Just my opinion.
  • Options
    Have you tried changing the tires? Different tire makes have radically different rides. You could also change the tire size slightly . . slightly higher profile tires that aren't quite so wide. In other words, you could change the stock 215x50x17 tires to 205x55x17, with a brand that has a better quality ride.
  • Options
    Yes, as soon as I get some more miles on these tires I will replace them with some different ones. I have two tires in mind. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S ($$$) and the General Altimax HP. both of these tires are rated very high for ride comfort. Checked reviews on the Tirerack website from people who bought them and found a couple of people with late model V6 Accords and they say that they helped to get some of the firmness out of the ride. Most likely will keep the same size tho, as I think the 205 would be too thin of a tire for the relatively heavy car. You are correct tho, as the 55 series would add more rubber between the road and the rim and would add some smoothness to the ride.
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    I believe the matter of ride comfort, just as the matter of whether a vehicles exterior styling is attractive or not, are both subjective.

I own a 2009 Accord EX-L V6 coupe and find it to offer a nice compromise between handling and comfort, and do not find it to be any harsher than the 2008 Accord EX 4 Cylinder I owned up until May of this year.

In short, you say tomato, I say tomata ;)
  • Options
    The 2000 V6 Accord came standard with 205x60x16 tires, which were actually a bit soft. I replaced them with 225x55x16
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    FWIW Dept.......

2005 6M coupe: replaced (at 68k) OEM HX MXM 215/50SR17 with same size Mich Primacy MXV4.

A few notes after circa 5,000 miles: Definitely less intrusive noise. The ride - maybe just a hair less jarring - - - but as most of us realize: it ain't no Toyota/Lexus.

In a parallel context, the immensely competent GM Friction Modified manual transmission goo has kept me from rolling the dice with a dealer TSB synchro replacement and associated risky transmission teardown.......................

best, ez....
  • Options
    curtisjwmccurtisjwmc Member Posts: 1
    I purchased the Scosche brand version of the dash kit and it looks fine, but the hole for the system is only 3.75x6.75", and I thought the standard double DIN was supposed to be 4"x7"??? Is your dash kit the same way?
  • Options
    1stmzda1stmzda Member Posts: 9
    Have an I4 auto and noticed with the car in gear and idling (foot off the gas), the car will surge while turning. Seems more noticable when cold (ex: exiting a parking stall/garage). Turned AC and lights off, same. Runs fine on the freeway. Problem has been posted on another forum and the posters mentioned surge occurs only when turning and foot off the gas. I can verify this. Anyone else experience this problem and have any insight on possible cause? Thx.
  • Options
    tbtmediatbtmedia Member Posts: 21
    I leased a Honda Civic in April of this year for my son. While we like the car very much, I actually would like to 'trade-in' the car and upgrade to a 2-door Accord. I have not done anything like this before and am seeking for some advice on how to handle this and what kind of deal I can make? I have more than 30-months on the Civic's lease. I just don't want to have to deal w/ all the inception fees, etc..... Any advice?

Thanks-
  • Options
    johngf1johngf1 Member Posts: 37
    Just purchased 2010 lx s coupe w/ 4cy & auto for 21,500 (before taxes). Anyone have any idea of 0 - 60 times for the coupe w/190 HP auto transmission.
  • Options
    accordguy0325accordguy0325 Member Posts: 169
    Per a discussion I saw on driveaccord.net - it is 7.9 seconds for a manual, and prolly 8.5 or so for an automatic
  • Options
    johngf1johngf1 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    alman08alman08 Member Posts: 282
    how do you true Honda fans feel about how Honda is cutting cost on the interior workmanship? I went to the car show just the other day and was able to check and compare many cars on my list. In my mind, I have always thought that the Accord Coupe is one of the most unique coupe out there in that price range. It's perfect for someone who doesn't want a sedan yet he wouldn't be feeling like driving a kid car. However, what's going on with that interior? The cheap plastic on the door handle and the parking brake... is chromed plastic really going to boost the cost that much for Honda's bottom line? Or has Honda become too Americanize and now follow suit? I still think the Accord Coupe is a nice car, but it'd be much better if Honda can start again paying attention to little details and retain what the Accord should be. Better yet, make it what Honda should be.
  • Options
    jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I went from a 2000 Accord EX V6 L Coupe to a 2009 model and have noticed some of what you mentioned. The door handle was something that struck me right away and I wonder if it will eventually break off. But, what bothers me most is the cheap feel of the sun visors and the lack of a visor extension as was found in my previous coupe. That visor extension came in very handy at blocking the sun and shouldn't have been eliminated. I curse the bean counters responsible for this every time the morning sun peaks around the visor. I also don't like the fact that this car doesn't have a leather shifter as did my previous car. On the other hand, the leather in this car is a HUGE leap forward from the stiff, vinyl-like leather in the '00 coupe and the seats are much more comfortable. So, there have been some trade offs. All in all I am pleased with the interior, but sure wish I had that sun visor extension. I think Honda needs to be very careful about trying to cut corners on areas that the driver will notice. It certainly can and will take away from the overall quality feeling Honda is known for.
  • Options
    My comment will deal only with the center stack control panel...."Hate It"!

:(
  • Options
    totally agree with you on the leather seats. they felt great.
    have you noticed that they did the same thing (cost cutting) on the TSX as well?
  • Options
    jrp6977jrp6977 Member Posts: 87
    I haven't checked out a new TSX, but wouldn't doubt your claim. As I said, Honda needs to be careful when cutting costs so it doesn't tarnish its image.
    The nice thing about the new Accord coupe is that they did not cut costs on the exterior, particularly the EX V6 model. I have had several people ask me if my car is a Lexus, Infiniti or BMW. I guess its the chrome door handles and duel exhaust. The black paint doesn't hurt either.
  • Options
    Again, I will have to agree with you on the exterior. Its design is quite elegant especially on the EX- V6 trim. The same cannot be said on any other Asian counterparts and that includes Infiniti (and this is solely my opinion only) which seems to be more on the sportiness side. If one wants something comparable to the Accord Coupe, he will be looking at the Audi A5 or Mercedes E coupe, both of which cost $20k and plus more.
  • Options
    stomatastomata Member Posts: 1
    I have spent 2 months searching around for the Accord Cpe LX-S White for my girlfriend and I was able to found a 2010 model just before Christmas for 20939 (950 under invoice) + tax and fee in Huntington Beach.
    It does have wheel lock, so we ended up paying 85 bucks more... Dunno if I got a good price?
  • Options
    lngbrdrbeebelngbrdrbeebe Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the freeway when i took my foot off of the gas pedal and a heard this popping noise that continued till i stopped. any advice?
  • Options
    If anyone can advise: Is it posssible to get a 2000/2001 visor w/extension and install on newer Accord without them? I mean will they fit? :shades:
  • Options
    temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    I just saw the 2013 Accord Coupe concept at the Detroit Auto Show. Prior to the show, I had pulled up a presentation of the concept by Cars.Com. The presenter took you around the car pointing out styling aspects. He referred to the styling as outdated. I thought it looked sharp, however very much like the present Accord Coupe. If anyone else has seen the 2013 Coupe, I would be interested in what you think. Honda has never been great on style.
  • Options
    rcummelinrcummelin Member Posts: 184
    So far, I have only seen photos, but I agree with cars.com that the styling is outdated. In fact, the entire car is outdated, as it's just the current (2008-2012) car with a few very minor changes.

Honda's "new" generation Civic was exactly the same thing: the old generation with a few minor changes (and several deletions) and so far it has bombed in the showroom. Consumer Reports has stopped recommending the Civic altogether. I can't imagine the "new" Accord will do any better. Honda really needs to step up their game. They are getting further & further behind their competition with every "new" introduction. Very sad.
  • Options
    newbie49newbie49 Member Posts: 1
    I have an accord coupe with a sunroof, and I have another question that might be dumb...can I get a roof rack up there, and can it be removable? If so, where? I am brand new to this forum. Live in FL, kayak and bike season is near. Love my silver bullet, but gotta get some more space for my toys somehow. Thanks all
  • Options
    ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hey, newbie49,

This sounds like a good fit for our answers section, which is great for quick (not dumb!) questions like yours:
    http://answers.edmunds.com

After you post your question, you can check for responses by clicking the "my answers profile" link near the top of the page.

ClaireS, Host
    Automotive News & Views | Coupes & Convertibles

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• Options
    lbi4funlbi4fun Member Posts: 1
    Saw concept of 2013 Accord Coupe at NY auto show - Enhanced styling (front and rear styling changes)- The body appears to be the same as 2011-12 They sharpend the appearance of the front and rear - I thought they made some nice appearence improvements - especially the way they molded the duals into the rear bumper.
  • Options
    dclastcolonydclastcolony Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2013 Honda Accord EXL V6 Coupe a few weeks ago. So far, I am disappointed. The ride is unbelievably bumpy and rough. The Bluetooth doesn't work some of the time (I just received a letter telling me to go to a dealer for a software fix for that). Most annoying, there is a design flaw with the windshield. The plastic grill below the windshield reflects back on to the windshield. This is a constant annoyance whether sunny or not. I have had American cars all my life and this is my first foreign car. So far, I am not impressed.
  • Options
    dclastcolonydclastcolony Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new Honda Accord EXL V6 Coupe a few weeks back. On the plus side, the car is good on mpg (even better than EPA) and is easy to drive and park. However, the ride is unbelievably bumpy and rough. In addition, there is a design flaw with the windshield. The grill on the dashboard reflects back on to the windshield. It does not obscure vision but it is annoying. Also, there are audio problems which Honda has recognized. They have sent out letters telling us to go to the dealer and get a software update. I've had American cars all my life -- coupes -- and liked them all. This is my first foreign car and overall I am not impressed. David