Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Limited slip additive

truckluvertruckluver Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
Do you or don't you put limited slip additive when you change your rear axle fluid on these new trucks. Keep getting conflicting answers about this one.

Comments

• mullins87mullins87 Member Posts: 959
    First off, check to see what the owner's manual states. Secondly, read the label on the bottle of gear lube. Some brands already have the additive in it.
  • ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    99+ chevys do not use the additive. They use a synthetic lube
  • warfishwarfish Member Posts: 117
    If you change over to a good synthetic, like Amsoil, don't add anything to it. The Amsoil is already more slippery than the original with the additive.
  • saddaddysaddaddy Member Posts: 566
    Use about 1:1 of gear oil and super glue and it will help your LSD grip a whole lot better in limited-traction situations. Next best thing to a locker if you ask me. :)
  • noobie1noobie1 Member Posts: 326
    Man, why didn't I think of that? :-)

-David
  • xyz71xyz71 Member Posts: 179
    If we are talking about GM part # 1052358 - it is only needed with the old style limited slip differential. The new trucks have a different style of locker.

This may be more than you want to know - but the reason the additive was called for was to help disengage (un-lock) the clutch. Without the additive when you came to a stop it felt like a car behind you tapped your rear bumper. I recall looking in the rear view expecting to see a VW bug stuck to my bumper - sometimes you needed two bottles of the additive to stop the problem.
This discussion has been closed.